Online Competition Jump! Magikarp!

If multiple storm drain users are on the field, what determines which pokemon absorbs water attacks? Speed? Targetting? Or is it just random?

zee, thanks for sharing your progress! Durant is really interesting in this comp. (Also, I think you mixed up Rhyperior and Primarina's stats in the bottom table)

Last edited:
Does anyone know why my magikarp isn’t “battle ready?”
Has to be Galar Born, or it has to have the Battle Ready Badge which you can obtain at the Battle Tower

If multiple storm drain users are on the field, what determines which pokemon absorbs water attacks? Speed? Targetting? Or is it just random?

zee, thanks for sharing your progress! Durant is really interesting in this comp. (Also, I think you mixed up Rhyperior and Primarina's stats in the bottom table)
I'd say speed, I had a Cradily mirror, and I didnt got a single Storm Drain

download (1).png

Here's the team I plan to use. Switched off Lapras for Primarina due to the high usage of Dragapult and I wanted more damage output against Dracozolt. I pretty much just closed synergies with the 5 slots, Cradily set is a weird one but I like.​

Last edited:
Ended up with a 1622 rating after 26 battles. Don't have too much time left so I think I'm going to stop here. My team was:

Magikarp@Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA, 204 HP, 36 SpD, 12 Spe, 4 Def
-Hydro Pump
-Bounce
-Flail
-Splash

Debate the item for a while. I thought about going with Eviolite but decided I wanted more offense. I didn't want to be locked into a move, so Scarf and Specs were both out, and something else on my team was already using Life Orb, so I went with Mystic Water to give Hydro Pump a little more power, allowing me to secure 2HKOs on other Magikarp without Eviolite or significant Special Defense investment. The Speed EVs are not only to outspeed other Magikarp with no Speed investment, but also actually because I wanted it to outspeed my own Blaziken on turn 1.

Clefable@Absorb Bulb
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP, 156 SpA, 60 Def, 36 SpD, 4 Spe
-Moonblast
-Fire Blast
-Meteor Beam
-Protect

I didn't use it too much, but it did help against a couple Dragapults.

Blaziken@Weakness Policy
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP, 156 Atk, 60 Def, 36 SpD, 4 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Detect

One of the MVPs on my team. Decided to go for a more bulky spread, which most people did not expect. The downside was that I often needed more than one Speed Boost to outspeed certain Pokemon, but I was usually able to work around that. It's also weak to both Hydro Pump and Bounce, making it easy to have my opponent activate the WP.

Durant@Occa Berry
Ability: Hustle
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
EVs: 204 Spe, 252 Atk, 52 HP
-X-Scissor
-Iron Head
-Stone Edge
-Protect

Only used it a couple times, but it worked out well those times. Went back and forth on the item, but ultimately decided to go with Occa Berry to give me a chance against Fire-types. Never ended up using the berry at all.

Cradily@Custap Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm (+SpD -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP, 124 Def, 100 SpD, 28 Spe, 4 SpA
-Giga Drain
-Meteor Beam
-Earth Power
-Recover

Pretty standard Cradily, with a small amount of Speed investment to help deal with other Cradily. I only used it twice, but it held its own both times.

Rotom-Wash@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA, 164 Spe, 92 HP
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse
-Hyper Voice

Another MVP of my team. I was originally going to use Barraskewda as my sixth, but made a list-minute swap to Wash Rotom after realizing how thoroughly it destroys Lapras. Definitely an underrated Pokemon here. I used it quite often, and I don't think many of my opponents expected it. Though it has a poor match-up vs. most Grass-types, there are lots of things it beats that you might not expect it to. Was even able to take down a Porygon2 with it. I do regret not carrying Protect though--I thought it would be a good idea to have access to Max Strike, but in practice I didn't ever use it, and there were a couple times where I lost but could've saved myself with Protect/Max Guard.

Overall Blaziken and Rotom were my MVPs, but I used everything on my team at least a couple times. Competition was super fun, really hope to see more silly competitions like this.

Last edited:
sd team.PNG
Hi i'm new here
Any who here is my team I used for the Tour
I peaked with on day 2 1775 buuuuuut I went down to 1698 on day 3 just shy from 1700 again ; w ;

Arcanine was the mon I wanted to build around
as it was a decent intimidate user with a decent amount of coverage
Plus it was funny seeing +2 CC OHKO Max Tyranitar from full

Dive Dragapult is funny against Cinderace (especially the WP ones for low ladder)
The damned thing is oppressive af and you don't even know if its going to max right away or set up a sub to stall your max
I would say its the most used on my team because of the neutral MUs it provides

Prima was Arcanine's partner in crime
however it had the worst W/L ratio in the actual tour (those Ls were on me)
despite that prima was a great member of the team and pulled her weight
I gave her perish song just in case I had to deal with stall tactics

Ferro was the least used, however its purpose was to cause mindgames for the opponent who had little to no answers for it

P2 was a last minute add-on
however it did great until it gets an attack boost

I think I would've landed in the top 30 if I stopped playing day2 x-x

Reactions: Tox
So I have a dilemma. I need a Fire type for my team, and I narrowed it down to 2 mons via a VERY LONG self thought.
:charizard-gmax: :charti berry:
G-Max Wildfire is amazing. The only real good pokemon who's immune to it is Cinderace and Coalossal. Charizard does well into basically anything prone to getting worn down quickly. Its not used all that much due to its weaknesses being fairy common - and its quad weakness to Rock is not something any pokemon would like. However with correct team support, you can get passed this issue and find a way to make is have success.

:rotom-heat: :charti berry:
Rotom heat. Much variety. Out of all the Fire types, it resists the most Libero moves Cinderace can call and isn't weak to any of them (as far as physical moves are concerned). But wait you might be asking yourself "how does rotom-heat counter Cinderace?" The answer? Pain split. Using its immense bulk, access to eerie impulse or reflect, and its main attacks in Thunderbolt/Thunder and Overheat, rotom heat can be incredibly hard to take down and have it retaliate with immense power. Though I feel Dynamax stall is the best variant, you can try other things like dual screens, wp or even scarf + sub sets. But only time will tell ig.

I know I didn't give the best example, but given between :rotom-heat: and :charizard-gmax:, which one would you pick? Let me know any ideas you may have, and with that being said, goodbye.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
501173DF-1895-4825-8092-7AA6B6878258.png

Loaded up my stream on Sunday and spent a couple hours training up mons for this before getting 15 games in. I lost the first 4 and was about to quit but then I won the next 6, including a rematch from one of the first 4 losses where the guy haxed me to win it. It would have been an 11 game win streak but my P2 missed Iron Tail to win the game against a Cradily. I think I was about 1587 at the end with 10-5.

I stole the Cradily set off zee but it was the one I used on the Zekrom Baton Pass team months ago, so I had to ability patch it to Storm Drain and it was a little faster/frailer than it should have been.

The Lapras was the same one I used in the 1v1 comp at the start of this gen with Ice Shard over Protect. I forgot to give it the Gmax soup thing…

I caught the Palossand that morning and was just going to XL candy it to 100 and gold bottle cap it, but it was Quiet with a 0 speed IV!!! it was also the MVP. It beat a Gyarados without maxing lmao

I didn’t bring Cinderace or Lapras. Every team I went against had answers to them but not Palossand or Porygon2 so I just spammed them.

This type of weird format is the reason I played battle spot / battle stadium to begin with so I wish I could have played more and am really hoping we get a couple more cool ones before gen 9.

I got a 1669 Rank place 218 with this Team:
https://pokepast.es/cb9f0e849e818bc3
+ 2 Fillers that i didnt used once.
I lost around 50% of the Matches on day one cause i did not practice before and was making poor mistakes. But day 2 and 3 i got into it and got around 80% winrate.
Was a fun experience thanks for advice and Sample Sets here guys.

I got a 1669 Rank place 218 with this Team:
https://pokepast.es/cb9f0e849e818bc3
+ 2 Fillers that i didnt used once.
I lost around 50% of the Matches on day one cause i did not practice before and was making poor mistakes. But day 2 and 3 i got into it and got around 80% winrate.
Was a fun experience thanks for advice and Sample Sets here guys.
Pretty sure the Magikarp and Cradily sets are equal to mine lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)