Jellythorn - RMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm Dextrax, welcome to my RMT.

I've been playing Pokemon all my life, and I'm just now getting into competitive play. I have been playing on Pokemon Showdown for a few weeks now, trying out a variety of meta-games and teams. This is the first competitive team I have built, lets go, shall we?

I started out with Ferrothorn and Jellicent, for their excellent defensive coverage.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Substitute
- Toxic

I'm still unsure about what moves to run on Jellicent, despite my team being build around him. Recover and Substitute mixed with his high defenses allow him to survive for prolonged periods of time. I'm currently using Scald and Toxic as offensive moves.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn's job on this team is to support my sweepers. Between high defenses and Leech Seed/Leftovers, his suitability is great. Previously, I was using Gyro Ball in place of Power Whip, however the only other Pokemon on my team with water-type coverage was Thundurus-Therian.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Reuniclus is my favorite Pokemon, and as such, I wanted to fit him into this team. His bulk mixed with calm mind allows him to set up boosts and profit on them with a powerful STAB Psychic. Recover allows him to stay in for long periods of time and keep his bonuses. I take Focus Blast over Shadow Ball for it's type coverage.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

I decided to put Thundurus-Therian on this team because of my need for a fast special sweeper. The move-set I run on him allows for great type coverage. Choice Scarf gives him the speed he needs to sweep.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

A STAB priority move, Huge Power, and Choice Band make Azumarill a formidable foe. I run Superpower and Ice Punch for move coverage, and Waterfall when speed isn't an issue.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- U-turn

Scizor is an absolute monster. Technician allows his STAB bullet punch to hit like a big rig. I decided to use a Swords Dance/Roost combo to compliment this move. For his fourth move, I put U-Turn on him to help check Tyranitar, a Pokemon that forces a Scizor switch.

Closing Statements:

I lack any fire type moves, which puts me in a weird spot against teams with Ferrothorn or Forretress. I wasn't able to find an efficient way to fit a fire type move onto this team, any assistance with that would be appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read through this RMT, and I eagerly await your feedback!

I'll help you with the fire-type issue.

Azumarill is pretty out of place in this team, while a strong priority is cool, it doesn't justify a usage on this team. A fire type Pokémon will serve the team better.

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt / Toxic

Heatran is the 'mon(man) when it comes to Fire types. The first three moves are pretty obvious and the last move is up for grabs. Taunt is the prefered move as it allows you to shut down those pesky Custap Forretress and Skarmory. Toxic can also be used to cripple common switch-ins. Leftovers should always be used with Taunt.

I also think that CBand Scizor fits the team better because it fires very strong U-turns and it's priority move is even stronger than Azumarill's.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

This is the CBand Scizor which forms the cool VoltTurn combo with Thundurus-T. 248 HP EVs so Scizor will be taking less damage from hazards, the 8 EVs can be dumped anywhere, really. You'll want to use U-Turn the first time it enters the game to scout and Bullet Punch is there to alleviate the pressure of revenge killing of Thundurus-T, Superpower for the obvious coverage. The last slot has many options but Pursuit is the best as eliminating Latios and Gengar is always good. Quick attack can be used to deal more damage against Gyarados, Keldeo, Volcarona and Electric-types but the only notable Pokémon to target with it is Gyarados, as other Pokémons there are actually handled pretty well by the team. And Bug Bite can be used for a powerful STAB move but its coverage is pretty bad.

Reuniclus doesn't really offer a lot for the team except for fight resist and (not so reliable) alternate win condition. An offensive Spinner is one of the best Pokémon for this team to remove entry hazards for VoltTurning and Ferrocent's walling. Being offensive allows it to further pressure the opponent.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure / Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Hydro Pump for STAB and Rapid Spin because it's the main reason you're using Starmie. Natural Cure is a great ability to have preventing it to be crippled by status moves and act as a status absorber. Analytic is also viable as this set lacks LO and the power boost is appreciated to hit Jellicent on the switch. Ice Beam for coverage, the last move depends on what you want. Thunderbolt is another great coverage move and is better to deal with physcially defensive Jellicent while Psyshock works as a secondary STAB which hits Fighting-types especially Breloom and also deals with specially defensive Jellicent. Leftovers is the item of choice so Starmie can have more opportunities to spin but if Starmie is too weak you can use Life Orb over it.

--Minor Suggestion--

Use the standard spread listed in smogon or go full-blown specially defensive Ferrothorn.

That's all of my suggestions. .3.

Also: 100th post!!! :)

Last edited:

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Sorry, but I'm going to lock this thread since the descriptions need to be improved. You need at least three lines for all of your Pokemon. Try to explain the role of each Pokemon on your team. PM me your updated descriptions and I'll unlock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)