Jan/Feb 7* Event - Greninja (Poison Tera)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This raid gonna be the Battle for the Bog, the River Revolution, with the Amphibian Peasants (Toxicroak, Clodsire, Quagsire) rising up to bring down the king of the pond.

Hey! Just found a Psychic Tera Type Toxicroak!! Is this froggy fate?? lol

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BTW assuming this is going to guarantee another ability patch, I know in your own game the first time you caught Cinderace the Patch was guaranteed— if you join a host’s first go, is the patch also guanteed?

BTW assuming this is going to guarantee another ability patch, I know in your own game the first time you caught Cinderace the Patch was guaranteed— if you join a host’s first go, is the patch also guanteed?
No. For both Charizard and Cinderace, your own first kill was guaranteed ability patch, everything after wouldn't be.
(You could still drop more, though, just at the usual drop chance)

Though that reminds me, I wonder which kind of medicines Greninja will drop. Considering Charizard dropped Spatk and Cinderace dropped Atk, I'm assuming Greninja may drop either both of them, or Speed.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Though that reminds me, I wonder which kind of medicines Greninja will drop. Considering Charizard dropped Spatk and Cinderace dropped Atk, I'm assuming Greninja may drop either both of them, or Speed.
I'm betting on Speed, it's by far Greninja's highest stat unlike Cinderace and Charizard's very similar offensive stat to their speed, and provides a different incentive for people to repeatedly clear if they farmed the previous two 7* raids. A better question is what mint Greninja will drop (and by extension, what nature it is) though I'd guess either Hasty or Naive.

For future reference, can we all agree to make one thread for all future 7 star raids? feels like this thread section is gonna be filled with bloat if we make a new one every month.

For future reference, can we all agree to make one thread for all future 7 star raids? feels like this thread section is gonna be filled with bloat if we make a new one every month.
Idk, I don't see much problem with it, data from a previous raid isn't really relevant to the next one usually, and it's not like this section will exactly have much more other than the raid threads in the near future anyway... :wo:

How does Sleep work in Terastal raids? I have been thinking about support Toedscruel.

1674375632927.png

Something along these lines though it's still a very rough draft. With Spore to get some free setup turns assuming it works the same as normally, Screech/Acid Spray depending on the Pokémon around which the setup would revolve, and Acupressure to especially do nice things with Stored Power stuff, it should work in a vacuum depending on tera raid mechanics. Utility Umbrella is purely placeholder for if Gren has Rain Dance. Stuff like Leftovers should work just fine if not.
Other notable stuff in its movepool are Taunt, Screens (Light Screen could be p great if Gren turns out to be Special Attacking only) and maybe Tickle?

Yeah I just saw it had Spore + Acupressure + good SpD and was a Grass not weak to Gunk Shot, and I kinda went from there.

Please Gren don't have Ice Beam, it invalidates everything I can think about. Especially since planning around double STAB + Gunk Shot is already a huge headache.

Last edited:
To add to that, in general if you don't resist the "stab" attacks and don't have some "cheese" to survive the damage (es, Espathra using the Bulk Ups via Opportunist vs Cinderace), you're not really going to survive long against these 7 star raids.

In this case I'm afraid Toedscruel just looks like won't live more than a couple gunk shots.

Personally for now i'm saving my candies and stuff, ultimately what we'll attempt boils a lot down to what the moveset is. Greninja being purely special would make it mostly a cakewalk, being phisical will make it harder, being mixed is where the true pain would be as still I can't figure a set that can facetank mixed attacks, both offensively and defensively speaking.

The boss will burn its 1-3 sleep actions when moving against all 4 players so basically it won't last more than a full turn.
I'm a little curious, does this also apply if you go into a raid with the AI allies? [probably will but one can hope]

Anyways, I had a nifty Clodsire build [Water Absorb + Curse] I've been grinding so far, hopefully, it won't all be for nothing [worst come to worst, i have a Kingambit build with Swords Dance and Thunder Wave to try and use but that might not be too feasible especially without actual partners... time to wait for a moveset drop]

Curse ... Swords Dance
I'll repeat what I said above, I wouldn't count on any use from buffs as is if you can't setup a 1hko, they'll just get wiped out before you can get anything off it.
Same applies to debuffs that don't come from damaging skills, once the shield goes up, you won't be able to use them.

It's very likely that this boss will end up being like Charizard where you have 2-3 people chipping at it while the others keep them up / debuff the boss

Aren't buffs wiped usually only wiped once somewhere around when shield goes up? I had used buffs in the past on 5 star raids with decent success and I never tried to one-shot with them, just increase survivability or speed up damaging.

Aren't buffs wiped usually only wiped once somewhere around when shield goes up? I had used buffs in the past on 5 star raids with decent success and I never tried to one-shot with them, just increase survivability or speed up damaging.
5 star and 7 star are kind of a different beast.
For one, 7 star raids are lvl 100, while 5 star raids are lvl 75. Their HP multiplier is also way higher.
The movesets of 7 star raids is also generally much stronger and purposely made to provide a hard challenge.

Charizard had a special interaction where it'd do the debuff clear pulse only once, but aside that, both buff clear and debuff clear tend to happen multiple times if the raid feels like it once the buffs go down. Though in case of Cinderace, generally a single buff clear would send the raid straight into oblivion since he'd just wipe the floor with +4 stabs or Acrobatics right after it.

It's also worth mentioning that so far we saw that both Charizard and Cinderace had a "turn 0 move" that would happen before anyone gets a single turn. Charizard would Overheat one person and then debuff clear, Cinderace would cast Bulk Up right away.
It's realistic to expect that so will Greninja. What? I have no clue.

Charizard had a special interaction where it'd do the debuff clear pulse only once, but aside that, both buff clear and debuff clear tend to happen multiple times if the raid feels like it once the buffs go down. Though in case of Cinderace, generally a single buff clear would send the raid straight into oblivion since he'd just wipe the floor with +4 stabs or Acrobatics right after it.
That is almost certainly where my confusion comes from, I did quite a few Charizard raids when they were available. On the other had I fought Cinderace only until the first win since the fight seemed to unfun with constant bulk uping.

It has been a long time since I've seen any raid do multiple buff wipes, even in long standing brawls.
To be fair by now we've "perfected" the raid killing enough where most raids either die within 1 minute, or don't die and wipe the raid because someone thought to bring Garchomp to a Glaceon raid... :zonger:

Do Storm Drain work on raids? thought of Lucario Tera Ground Power-Up-Punch + Gastrodon
It works but only for yourself. Won't redirect attacks directed to others.

Also, ability negation pulse is a thing. It was enough to deny and kill Unaware Skeledirge on Cinderace in that one turn.

Oh gamefreak

You make objectively terrible decisions so often you'd think I would learn

per serebii the full moveset is
Protean
"Extra' moves: Double Team, Toxic Spikes
Normal moves: Night Slash, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot

I'm just not even going to attempt this tonight. Have fun figuring out the ideal fight here

1674779152669.png

Slowbro wins again with the same solo set for maximum efficiency. Greninja made some questionable move choices when I was testing with Clodsire and this match. It mainly tried to Hydro Pump Slowbro and a few Night Slashes that didn't do that much. Unlike Cinderace, an OHKO before the shield doesn't look as viable since Greninja resets early, but Slowbro can handle the battle of attrition with Slack Off.

https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/teraraidbattles/event-mightygreninja.shtml
The Greninja is Sassy as a small mercy. The support mons feature Steel Lucario with Meteor Mash/Swords Dance/Vacuum Wave/Earthquake and Psychic Bronzong with Stored Power/Iron Defense/Gyro Ball/Heavy Slam so I guess they are hinting towards setting up, though with some filler attacks on Bronzong and the screens relegated to the boss-only moveslots. I think a Defog mon would have been a choice to counter both Double Team and Toxic Spikes at the same time.

I think a Defog mon would have been a choice to counter both Double Team and Toxic Spikes at the same time.
A Defog mon would work well but..

We don't exactly have many good options for that. Corviknight may be the best bet (immune to gunk shot, bulky enough to eat the special attacks, not weak to anything, also ignores the toxic spikes at start), but can Corvi even do anything other than Defog?

edit: Ima throw it here since it's late and I won't really get to mess with the raid for another 12+ hours, does Haze even work through the shield? Cause if it does, I'll just pick one of the stuff I listed earlier, if it doesn't, I'll have to come up with some way to clear the Double Teams for the Slowbros.

Last edited:
A Defog mon would work well but..

We don't exactly have many good options for that. Corviknight may be the best bet (immune to gunk shot, bulky enough to eat the special attacks, not weak to anything, also ignores the toxic spikes at start), but can Corvi even do anything other than Defog?
It gets support options like Metal Sound, Screech, Taunt, and dual screens, while also sporting Bulk Up and Power Trip.

I have no idea it it would actually work though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)