It's Thanksgiving (Give me a reason to be thankful)

What Deck Knight said.

Anyway, I have turkey(ofc), rice, ham, yams, collard greens, hot apple pie, and usually a bread of choice(biscuits, rolls, or hawaiian sweet rolls). Only thing that sucks is I have TOO MANY options where to eat because everyone is cooking and I'm usually sitting there like omgwhereamigonnaeatthisyear. imgonnapissSOMEBODYoff :(

My whole family comes over, and there's almost 30 of us in total (usually more actually, but my cousins moved to Texas).
This year, we got a 20 pound turkey. We got this huge ham thing. I usually make mashed potatoes and gravy. My sister is making a cake. Since my family is Chinese, and have a lot of Chinese food as well. There's Sushi, Sashimi, Rice, etc.
Thanksgiving isn't until tomorrow over here.
I was planning on starving myself today, so I could eat guilt free tomorrow (which actually makes me fatter, but I feel less guilty)
Which failed of course...

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Whoa, calm down there Beck Knight. It was a joke in response to the silly claim of Thanksgiving being a celebration of slavery. I have nothing against Thanksgiving. It's Black Friday I have a problem with. And Flag Day.
I only have a problem with Flag Day when the state hacks get it off while the rest of us suckers work.

Interesting you should mention Beck since he had a show comparing the concept of Divine Providence to that of Andrew Jackson's Manifest Destiny. The key difference being Divine Providence comes from God while Manifest Destiny proclaims the superiority of man.

But my point stands that there are people out there who hate on Thansgiving/Christmas/any specific holiday because of either historically inaccurate accounts or their own personal hangups about it.

I was not attempting to downplay the aggregate history of the North American continent, merely pointing out the stereotype applied to native Americans is entirely at odd with the historical record, granted in perhaps a too flippant manner. In any case indigeinous people were neither unwashed headhunters nor were they innocent bystanders being mowed over by the evil bloodlusting European foreigners. In the aggregate their way of life was destroyed by means both devious and not (higher technology societies often envelop lower technology ones without any violence simply because all humanity is driven by self-interest), but you can't change history nor can anyone restore it to "its proper place," "proper" being subject to each placeholder's interpretation.

I was also not making a blanket statement about atheists, merely about the ones who make those assinine signs instead of doing something productive with their fortune. Unfortunately multiple bad experiences all of a similar nature have left me cold to qualifying any statements regarding the belief. The standard bearers for movement atheism aren't exactly a chummy, considerate lot either.

Not sure how anyone can dislike Black Friday more than any other sales day of the year. If it's that bad then don't shop on that day lol. Ultimately the day is about giving thanks for what you have, and the fact we can have these discussions (and ensuing dissagreements) in a fairly civil manner is anothing thing to be thankful for tomorrow.

I was also not making a blanket statement about atheists, merely about the ones who make those assinine signs instead of doing something productive with their fortune. Unfortunately multiple bad experiences all of a similar nature have left me cold to qualifying any statements regarding the belief. The standard bearers for movement atheism aren't exactly a chummy, considerate lot either.
Unfortunately, it's always the most vocal and obnoxious members of any movement/group that get the most media attention and notice. All of the atheists I know are pretty chill and would put their time to much better use than making stupid, anti-religious signs. And I know a lot of fellow atheists, as many attend my university. Most of us actually have more of a live-and-let-live sort of mentality... the ones who don't are just stupid, because all they're doing is making bad PR.

Also, to be fair, many proponents of the fundamentalist Christian movement aren't exactly chummy or considerate either. I've had quite a few bad experiences with them... you would have no idea how many people have come up to me right out of the blue and told me I was going to hell. That being said, I come from a Christian family, and my grandparents on my Dad's side are fundamentalist Christians (who don't know I'm an atheist), and they're some of the nicest people I know. Of course, I'll probably never tell them that I don't believe in God, because I'm afraid they'll no longer accept me, which would be horrible. Oh, well.

Also, Deck Knight, I completely agree with you on your assessment of people who hate Thanksgiving based on the History of the North American continent. And I am also thankful that we can all respectfully disagree on things here :)

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Your post would be a lot easier to agree with if you didn't try to downplay the terrible things European settlers did to aboriginal peoples by bringing up the violence we already know exists. Going "They were just as bad!" seems to be a common theme in your arguments and it's not a particularly effective one.
Yay, Australia, where we (almost) got along with everyone!

Anyway, I'm in the U.S. for the first time atm, and so I'm getting my first Thanksgiving, and I can't wait. It sounds like a great holiday for the same reason as Christmas, that the whole family is together for just about the only time in the year.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm thankful we don't have this silly celebration of slavery in the UK.
I would just like to point out how it was British subjects (not US citizens) who colonized, ate at the original Thanksgiving, and are ultimately responsible for the following genocide.

Conveniently, none of my ancestors happen to be connected to any of this-- so we can just give thanks and be happy without giving a crap about all this attached nonsense. Being thankful is never a bad feeling.

On an interesting note, if I were back home in the states, there would be Sashimi, Chao fun and Somen Salad laid out next to the Turkey and Mashed Potatoes at my house. Also, I can't stand eating Turkey without my white rice. :P

I wish a happy Asian American Thanksgiving to my relatives! :D

Why? What's there to lose from having a good time on a certain day? Who cares what it's for, I'll go to a fucking holocaust party if everyone has a good time.

It's not like we gather around and go HAHAHA WE ENSLAVED THEM ALL, LETS EAT SOME TURKEY TO SHOW THEM WHO'S STILL IN CHARGE.

the whole family is together for just about the only time in the year.
Be thankful for this. It's something I never get at Christmas. Because my mother dislikes her mother's partner, and has fallen out with her sister. The chances of a big family get-together, at any time of year, are near-zero.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
People sure do try to make big deals out of very petty things, don't they? Thanksgiving is just a day of the year that people get together and eat good food, pretty much. I'm glad we have it. For people like me, I don't see my family all that much, so Thanksgiving is a nice time for us to have fun together. The ties with the natives way-back-when don't matter to most people, at all.

Any who, mom's side of the family is getting together this year, lots of food and socializing. Will be the first Thanksgiving with dad out of the picture. Kind of sad, but still looking forward to it.

Its not a celebration of slavery nignog.
Good job colonizing the majority of africa and beginning the slave trade though.

I usually just have the basics at my casa (turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, potatoes usually sweets and whites because my sister is a savage and doesnt like sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and some sort of pie).

Best part about thanksgiving is football though. I have yet to do Black Friday but I will one year.

I do agree people should give Thanksgiving a break as it has turned into a time when families can get together and think about what they have to be happy for. Get working on removing Columbus Day instead which serves no purpose other than celebrating a lowlife slave trader.
WHOAH FIRESTORM!!! STOP IT RIGHT THERE!!!!!! Columbus Day is VERY important. I get a day off because of it. Lets not remove that one.

I would just like to point out how it was British subjects (not US citizens) who colonized, ate at the original Thanksgiving, and are ultimately responsible for the following genocide.

Conveniently, none of my ancestors happen to be connected to any of this-- so we can just give thanks and be happy without giving a crap about all this attached nonsense. Being thankful is never a bad feeling.

On an interesting note, if I were back home in the states, there would be Sashimi, Chao fun and Somen Salad laid out next to the Turkey and Mashed Potatoes at my house. Also, I can't stand eating Turkey without my white rice. :P

I wish a happy Asian American Thanksgiving to my relatives! :D
Same on almost all counts. Though it's more along the lines of gyoza and sushi get munched on during the preparation of a more standard Thanksgiving meal and the leftover turkey and ham will almost certainly find their way into some fried rice.

@DK: Retail workers who don't make commission hate Black Friday. It is the one day that even the people who love their job the most finally crack and start viewing customers as mindless, heartless, soulless savages.

@Firestorm

Like thanksgiving should rightfully be taken out of reference of a time where people never took a shower and would fear a woman if she knew her abc's, Columbas Day isnt celebrated for his life. It's celebrated for that 1 mistake the lead to the birth of an entire nation. Plus, as alan said, it's a day off. Lets leave that one alone.

Ok seriously people lets not turn this into a "Hate this and that" thread. This thread is about thanksgiving. What your thankful for and what your parents or relitives are trying to fatten you up for Christmas with.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Same on almost all counts. Though it's more along the lines of gyoza and sushi get munched on during the preparation of a more standard Thanksgiving meal and the leftover turkey and ham will almost certainly find their way into some fried rice.

@DK: Retail workers who don't make commission hate Black Friday. It is the one day that even the people who love their job the most finally crack and start viewing customers as mindless, heartless, soulless savages.
Over here the turkey finds its way into Jook (Chinese Rice soup, I'll just say it because I know not all Chinese families use the same dialect). Well, okayu in Japanese anyway.

Well, Thanksgiving is winding down to it's last few hours. As per tradition, my family is putting the tree up. My ma and sis' are getting ready to go to the store for Christmas stuff. (I can only hope I get my Laptop.) I'm watching my Niece for the night. Overall it was a fine Thanksgiving day.

Special Note: This is the first year I was up in time to see the beginning of the Parade on TV. That's cool for me.

Edit: Mabye I'll make a thread for Christmas.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

@Firestorm

Like thanksgiving should rightfully be taken out of reference of a time where people never took a shower and would fear a woman if she knew her abc's, Columbas Day isnt celebrated for his life. It's celebrated for that 1 mistake the lead to the birth of an entire nation. Plus, as alan said, it's a day off. Lets leave that one alone.

Ok seriously people lets not turn this into a "Hate this and that" thread. This thread is about thanksgiving. What your thankful for and what your parents or relitives are trying to fatten you up for Christmas with.
Alright, I got a deal for you guys. Replace Columbus Day with Canadian Thanksgiving and in turn we'll celebrate your fake Thanksgiving. That way we both get two days off, two days to eat turkey, and two days to be thankful.

We good?

I dislike that his name is celebrated every year when he was an atrocious human being.

Alright, I got a deal for you guys. Replace Columbus Day with Canadian Thanksgiving and in turn we'll celebrate your fake Thanksgiving. That way we both get two days off, two days to eat turkey, and two days to be thankful.

We good?

I dislike that his name is celebrated every year when he was an atrocious human being.
Agreed. Christopher Columbus decimated my ancestors. It's like telling the Jews to celebrate Hitler day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)