IT'S A TRAP - 6 Choice items!?

So I was talking with my friend about the merits of OU Scarf Reckless Mienshao, Hi Jump Kick does tons of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, but is checked by ghost types. A natural candidate to pair with Mienshao then, is Choice Band Scizor. I noticed at this point that I had a nice U-turn core going, and I decided to add a Rotom-W to create a solid volt-turn core. At this point, I realized that I had three choice items already, and I joked with my buddy about running a team of all choice items. I picked up Dugtrio, Magnezone, and Gothitelle, as trappers for this team. The premise of this team is using choiced Volt-Turn with Mienshao Rotom and Scizor to scout the enemy, rack up damage, and trap threats with Magnezone, Gothitelle, and Dugtrio. Late game, Scizor Rotom and Mienshao all have the capability to clean up sweep. The abundance of choice items make revenge killing easy.

This team seems really gimmicky, but I have had decent success with it so far. Currently, I have played ~30 games with this team on showdown, and have ~67% win rate.

Here's a sample replay against a 2k+ player. http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen5ou-60601846

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I usually lead with this guy, he has a ton of hitting power that will scare out T-tar, or any squishy. He's the fastest user of U-turn on my team, and also serves as a cleanup sweeper once ghosts and defensive walls have been eliminated, and some residual U-turn/Volt switch damage has been racked up. Hidden Power Ice often catches Gliscor's by surprise. In endgame situations, Mienshao outspeeds most other scarf users such as Garchomp and can KO with Hi Jump Kick with just a small amount of residual damage.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
The main purpose of Scizor is to trap ghost and psychic types that would otherwise check Mienshao. Using the scouting capabilities of U-turn and Volt Switch, Scizor can easily switch into a resisted Psychic or Ghost move targeted at one of my other pokemons, and Pursuit trap on Psychic or Ghost types. Gengar and Starmie in particular are quite vulnerable. One thing this Scizor struggles with at the moment is dealing with Lati@s with HP Fire, as Scizor is quite slow. On other predicted switches where Pursuit will not KO, U-turn can be used to switch to an appropriate counter, with Choice band, U-turn does a decent chunk of damage to anything that doesn't resist it.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 88 Spd / 252 SAtk / 164 HP
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Magnezone is my answer to Ferrothorn/Forretress. Rotom lures in Ferrothorn switches, and volt switches out to Magnezone, which OHKO's it with HP fire. Forretress can tank an HP fire and still get up a layer of rocks or spikes which is annoying for this team. Mienshao also baits Skarmory, and can U-turn out to break Skarm's sturdy (provided it's not running leftovers). Magnezone can then easily snipe it with STAB Volt Switch and put in a U-turn/Volt switcher to maintain momentum. Heatran has been giving me a headache tho.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
Rotom is a member of the Volt-Turn core of this team, using Volt Switch to poke and switch into an appropriate trapper. Trick serves many purposes, when used early, it can be used to cripple a wall such as Politoed or Hippowdon. When used late game, it can lock an offensive threat into an unfavorable move and allow me to trap and kill with Dugtrio or Goth. Rotom also is just an overall beast in the rain. Rain boosted STAB hydro pump with choice turns Rotom into a deadly cleanup sweeper as well.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace
This set is fairly self explanatory. Switch Dugtrio in with a U-turn or Volt switch when the opponent switches, and trap the victim. Dugtrio's outstanding speed allows to outspeed most offensive threats that do not hold scarf, such as Gengar, Starmie, and Alakazam. Sucker Punch hits those three hard. Stone Edge will OHKO any Volcarona that tries to set up. Aerial Ace beats Breloom, barring those that hold a sash. STAB earthquake hits for decent damage on most other pokemon. Unfortunately, Dugtrio is very fragile and is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks. Dugtrio does well in trapping and killing weather inducers like Ninetales. It falls short on power to be able to OHKO T-tar tho.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Gothitelle is another trapper on my team. It has mediocre bulk, but Shadow Tag eases prediction significantly for Goth. Goth takes care of several notable threats that would otherwise check my team. Catching a Politoed, Vaporeon, or Swampert results in a KO. Grass Knot also OHKO's Donphan, a common member on Sun teams. HP Ice will OHKO most dragons, but Goth's poor speed will mean she needs to be able to tank a hit before retaliating for a KO. Notably, Goth does outspeed Conkeldurr, and takes little damage from mach punch.

Choice items give a +1 bonus for a stat for each pokemon at the cost of flexibility in move selection. This team aims to abuse trapping abilities to ease prediction and to snipe specific threats and set up other choiced pokemon for a late game cleanup sweep.

Let me know what you think of this team!

Last edited:
I always knew this day would come, a team of all choiced pokemon. Everybody run! Just joking, but I really don't think I would be crazy enough to try it, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)