Iron Hands Crushes The Competition (NatDexOU)

I know I'm quick for posting another RMT, but I've been playing Pokemon Showdown waaay too much, and wanted to share a great team centered around the new Pokemon Iron Hands, as I've found great success with it! As I mentioned a lot, please, please, please, if you have any thoughts, questions, or ideas with this team, post a reply! I read each and every one of them, and it helps me out a lot! Anyways... Let's get on to this RMT.

The Team
:xy/Iron Hands: :xy/Sylveon: :xy/Meowscarada: :xy/Gholdengo: :xy/Corviknight: :xy/Gastrodon-East:
https://pokepast.es/baedbd19ce1b7f2f

- I made this team in mind by using Iron Hands, as it has an absurd amount of bulk, with fair attack, that can be boosted with its ability Quark Drive. Comparing this Pokémon to an upgraded version of Hariyama, it has great potential in OU.
- Sylveon is crucial to use as it heals other members of the team, and can be pivoted into against the fair amount of new dragon type Pokémon.
- Next up Meowscarada provides great offensive utility, with its double stab priority move Sucker Punch & its high power Flower Trick crit.
- To block any of this team’s hazards from being removed we have Gholdengo, with it also serving a minor role of stopping any stall'ish Pokémon.
- Our physical wall Corviknight provides great benefits with its typing and its defog.
- Lastly, we have our hazard setter Gastrodon with both Spikes and Stealth Rocks.

:xy/Iron Hands:
Iron Grasp (Iron Hands) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Given the nickname Iron Grasp, coined from Dead By Daylight, once the Pokémon is on the field, the enemy’s Pokémon will be grasping for survival. Jokes aside, Iron Hands is the exact definition of bulky-offense. It can shrug hits from (almost) any Pokémon, and can dish out serious damage back (with the use of Booster Energy). Iron Hands is given Drain Punch to prolong time on the battlefield, Earthquake as a powerful stab (if terastallized) and great coverage, Rock Slide to get rid of any flying types, and Iron Head as a great counter option against fairy types who think they can take this behemoth down. Iron Hands was given the Tera Type of Ground to change it's weaknesses, and to boost the power of its Earthquake.

Here I did some calculations while creating this Pokémon to bolster how great it is in this early meta.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Chien-Pao Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Iron Hands: 300-355 (58.5 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Iron Valiant Spirit Break vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Iron Hands: 342-404 (66.7 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Iron Hands: 270-318 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Iron Bundle Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Iron Hands: 262-309 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Iron Hands: 386-456 (75.3 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Baxcalibur Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Iron Hands: 429-507 (83.7 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Cetitan Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Iron Hands: 484-571 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

+1 0 Atk Iron Hands Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 252-298 (87.1 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 0 Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Bundle: 290-344 (114.6 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Baxcalibur: 348-410 (93.8 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 0 Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cetitan: 458-540 (95.2 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (At 95% HP or Below)

:xy/Sylveon:
Cancer Awareness (Sylveon) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Wish
- Protect

Sylveon plays 2 important roles for the team, 1 being passing Wishes to the other Pokémon on this team for longevity, and 2 being able to absorb dragon type moves, which are common in this early meta with the many new dragon types. Sylveon was given Wish & Protect to heal up & as mentioned above, pass to other Pokémon. It was also given Hyper Voice as a great stab option, and then Mystical Fire to deal with pesky steel/grass types. I also gave Sylveon an expert belt to deal a bit more damage when super effective moves are done, mainly towards steel & dragon types.

`
:xy/Meowscarada:
Cats (Movie) Actor (Meowscarada) @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

Meowscarada is a great offensive Pokémon, with a great Speed stat and decent Attack, it is great in this early meta. Meowscarada’s signature move Flower Trick is great, as it has natural stab, will always result in a crit, and decently high base power. It also gets Sucker Punch, which is a great priority + stab, and when terastallized, even more damage. U-Turn to pivot into other Pokémon & coverage, and finally Thunder Punch which plays well in taking down opposing Flying-types (coverage move). I gave Meowscarada a choice band to boost its attacking stat to pose a deadlier threat.

:xy/Gholdengo:
Noodle (Gholdengo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gholdengo is vital in preventing opposing Pokémon from getting rid of this team’s hazards, with its ability and typing preventing any way for them to be removed. Gholdengo also gets a great signature move, Make It Rain which also gets a stab. I also gave Shadow Ball another stab move. Focus Blast, a great priority move. And lastly, Trick, to trick it’s Choice Scarf to any stall/stall’ish Pokémon. Gholdengo with Choice Scarf naturally is amazing as it can out-speed most Pokémon it’d need to out-speed such as Iron Bundle (to OHKO).

:xy/Corviknight:
Raven (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Body Press

Next up is our Defensive wall that also functions as our defogger for our team. Corviknight’s move pool consists of its standard defog set being Roost, Defog, Brave Bird, and Body Press. Something to note as well, this Pokémon is a great option to revenge Chien-Pao (if it has Sword Danced up), as Body Press OHKO’s it. This Pokémon is also given Pressure over Mirror Armor to lower the PP of opposing Pokémon's recovery moves, as they had gotten nerfed down to 8 PP. I also gave this a Tera Type of Fighting to increase the damage of Body Press & remove the Flying type.

:xy/Gastrodon-East:
Slug (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Recover

Lastly, the Slug, our hazard setter. This is our lead Pokémon, setting up Stealth Rocks and Spikes, with the Stab utility move Scald, to burn opposing physical Pokémon. I also gave it Recover to heal up whenever needed, as it also doubles as another physical wall that covers typing's that Corviknight cannot, such as Fire & Electric. I also gave this the Tera Type of Flying, to resist Grass type moves, but to be honest, there is no reason why this Slug should be the one terastallizing in this team.

And that’s the team! Again, if you have any thoughts, questions, or ideas, leave a reply and I’ll get back to you in no time, though as the meta progresses, there is a strong likelihood that this team would not be as viable as it currently is. I hope you guys have a good day! Thank you for reading my post! :)

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
[QUOTE="spooky13, post: 9415451, member: 565150"

Given the nickname Iron Grasp, coined from Dead By Daylight…
[/QUOTE]
Not sure where I was credited with this, but thanks I guess.

That aside, great RMT! I would like to point out that you may have issues with Chi-Yu and Mega Blazsince your only Fire resist, Gastrodon, can’t take Dark Pulse or Close Combat reliably.

252 SpA Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. -1 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 237-280 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Blaziken-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 229-271 (53.7 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given the nickname Iron Grasp, coined from Dead By Daylight…
Y'know, the game Dead By Daylight; a commonly used perk, killers use, is Iron Grasp.

Anyways, thanks for that! I hadn't encountered many Chi-Yu's or Mega Blazikens when I was testing on ladder. I think the best option is to keep Gastrodon, but to change up Corviknight, the defogger to a Pokémon like Moltres, which can still fill the same role, but also cover the aforementioned Pokémon you said as well.

Here's a set I garnished up for Moltres

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Scorching Sands

252+ SpA Life Orb Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 176+ SpD Moltres: 165-195 (43 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Moltres: 162-191 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken-Mega Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Moltres: 162-191 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

wouldn’t thunder punch Iron Hands also effectively remove flying types while also giving you a strong stab?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)