Other Tiers Introducing the Wiki System at the Japanese NC2000

At the Japanese Nintendo Cup 2000 (NC2000), I deployed the Wiki System in 2018, which enabled to systematize past literature and lay the foundation for future development.
I want to deploy the Wiki System to GSCOU as well.
(This will be done at the end of 2021 or the beginning of 2022)

In this thread, I'd like to introduce the NC2000 Wiki System and discussion the GSCOU Wiki System.
I write something that I'd like to discuss or ask at the end of this post.

1.Wiki System Philosophy
The philosophy of the Wiki System is as follows:​
・Organize and systematize documents scattered around threads and sporadic web pages​
・Promptly provide the latest information​
・Providing information that will be the basis for future development​
2.Introduction of Wiki System in Japanese NC2000
The URL of the Japanese NC2000 Wiki system is as follows.​
Almost all of the articles on this Wiki system are written by myself due to the circumstances described later.​
This Wiki system contains the following information:​
  • Comprehensive and systematic URL collection
    The Wiki system has a URL collection to all web pages related to NC2000 (as far as I know).
    Lost web pages are also restored as much as possible by using WebArchive.
    This URL collection is properly categorized, has brief descriptions, and is sorted by age within the categorization.
    https://seesaawiki.jp/pbs-thread/d/%a5%ea%a5%f3%a5%af%bd%b8

This URL collection brings us to search for web pages without any special knowledge.
    This URL collection contains very old web pages and web pages by poorly skilled players.
    It's the reader who decides whether it's useful or not, and it can actually be useful, so I'm not arbitrarily excluding URLs to those web pages.

• Easy reference to scattered article
    There are various small pages in the Wiki system, some of which are for easy reference to the information scattered in the thread.
    For example, this is a compilation of articles about techniques using Roar / Whirlwind and Spikes.
    If it is possible to refer by URL, the URL is quoted, and if it is difficult (for example, writing on Discord), it is quoted in plain text.
    https://seesaawiki.jp/pbs-thread/d/...%a9%a4%c1%b2%f3%a4%ea%b5%ad%bb%f6%b0%fa%cd%d1

• A summary of the results of past tournaments and a consideration of the evolution of the metagame
    The results of past tournaments are important information for confirming the evolution of the metagame.
    The following page summarizes the results of past competitions and their thoughts.
    https://seesaawiki.jp/pbs-thread/d/...%b2%a3%b0%a3%b0%a3%b0%b4%c4%b6%ad%b9%cd%bb%a1

• The latest team and its commentary
    The "個別パーティ解説(Wiki産)" section page publishes the teams I use when actually competing, and the information on these teams is always up to date.
    The explanation of this team is in the following format, "Overview (team achievements and timing suitable for using the team)", "Team information (information equivalent to Pokepaste)", "Commentary(Purpose of introducing each Moveset and synergies that should be noted)", "Weeknesses(The team of the opponent which is not good at)", and "Team tuning plan".
    (If necessary, add a sample replay against a major opponent team. It should be careful not to extract only the winning replays in an attempt to make the team look good.)
    https://seesaawiki.jp/pbs-thread/d/%a5%ab%a5%d3%a5%b4%a5%f3%a5%d5%a5%a1%a5%a4%a5%e4%a1%bcWA

For reference, I used to write articles like this for rental teams, but this was criticized for reasons I write later, so now I'm writeing about only my team.

• Publication of tools for development and related information
    I publish tools that help the development of metagames.
    I also publish the technical specifications required to develop the tool.

The tool has already produced some beneficial results.
    (The results are also described on the Wiki page)
    The results are summarized in the following smogon forum thread.
    https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...egy-through-programming.3680282/#post-8789508

• Publication of abstract theory
    Although rarely seen in international culture, research on abstract theory is developing in Japan, and I also mention this in "抽象論" section on the Wiki page.

For example, this is a theory that mentions the cost of checking opponent's Pokemon.
    This theory provides players with guidelines for efficient checking and guidelines for easy estimation of each other's superiority, and gives programmers hints for applying 1v1 research to 3v3.
    https://seesaawiki.jp/pbs-thread/d/...%c8%a4%c7%a4%ce%cc%f2%b3%e4%a4%ce%b5%ad%bd%d2

3.Differences between Japanese NC2000 culture and international GCSOU culture
The following cultural differences will need to be considered when deploying the Wiki System in the international GSCOU.​
  • Differences in the scale of competition and the direction of competition
    Japanese NC2000 has a smaller competitive population than the international GSCOU, and competition is not systematized.
    (It's difficult to give numbers, but in my sense, the international GSCOU competition population is about 10 times that of Japanese NC2000.)
    Instead, Japanese NC2000 players are more like club members than competitive athletes and are supportive of disseminating information for the development of metagames.
    As a result, the Japanese NC2000 article seems to be as good in quantity and quality as the international GSCOU article.

• Differences in how to send information
    In Japan, many players have their own web pages, and important articles are published on their own web pages.
    International players, on the other hand, seem to have many players using shared spaces like the smogon forum.
    (The exception is the Youtube channel)

4.What I want to discuss and ask
I'd like to hear your opinions about the following topics:​
  • Is there a demand for Wiki System?
    If you already know a system similar to the Wiki System at the international GSCOU, or if what I'm trying to achieve with the Wiki System is of little value to the international GSCOU, please let me know.

• Is there anyone other than me who wants to write to the Wiki System?
    In Japan, many players has their own web pages, so no one but me was writing articles assertively on the Wiki System.
    And, Since I'm familiar with Japanese culture and NC2000, I was able to write almost all of Wiki articles about NC2000 on my own.
    But when it comes to GSCOU, I wouldn't be able to do much on my own.
    I expect more than one active author to appear when it comes to international GSCOU.

• Is it more convenient to have a player base?
    I didn't write a player base on the NC2000 Wiki.
    The need for a player base was not that high because Japan has a small competitive population and everyone is well known each other.
    Regarding GSCOU, it may be convenient to have a player base, so I'd like to confirm the necessity.
    However, since the description about the player is sensitive, it may be better to limit it to objective results and position, and self-introduction.

• What do you think about providing information that can lose a player's advantage?
    Specifically, it's about the act of listing the weaknesses of the team.
    Japanese NC2000 is not as fiercely competitive among players as the international GSCOU, but nevertheless, it was sometimes criticized by the builder of the rental team when listing the weaknesses of the rental team.
    I think this is probably because the team he provided as a rental team was in use also by himself and was information that would undermine his advantage.
    (Or perhaps for some other personal reason)
    The list of weaknesses of the team is important information for deciding the timing to use the team and the tuning policy of the team, and it is also important information for grasping and predicting the transition of the metagame, but some kind of regulation is probably necessary.

• What is a good Wiki service for English culture?
    I don't know the proper Wiki service in the English culture, so I want to ask it what is the proper Wiki service.
    The seesaa Wiki I use in NC2000 is localized service in Japan and is not suitable.
    (When I asked this on Discord, miraheze was recommended. This looks like a good candidate.)

This is pretty cool, thanks for this. There is one thing I wanted to point out:

• What do you think about providing information that can lose a player's advantage?
    Specifically, it's about the act of listing the weaknesses of the team.
    Japanese NC2000 is not as fiercely competitive among players as the international GSCOU, but nevertheless, it was sometimes criticized by the builder of the rental team when listing the weaknesses of the rental team.
    I think this is probably because the team he provided as a rental team was in use also by himself and was information that would undermine his advantage.
    (Or perhaps for some other personal reason)
    The list of weaknesses of the team is important information for deciding the timing to use the team and the tuning policy of the team, and it is also important information for grasping and predicting the transition of the metagame, but some kind of regulation is probably necessary.
I don't think regulation is necessary or that most international players would want any. I am not sure if you got the chance to check it out, but the RMT ("Rate My Team") subforum of this site is dedicated to posting teams to show off and/or ask for feedback. It is expected of a good RMT to list the teams weaknesses. The act of listing weaknesses isn't revealing secret information either. Good players will find out that information on their own (whether using or playing against the team), and bad players may fight a little better overall, but will still be bad at the end of the day.
I can understand how some Japanese players feel about the situation, but I think if it came to a hypothetical vote, most people wouldn't want regulation on listing weaknesses.

I can understand how some Japanese players feel about the situation, but I think if it came to a hypothetical vote, most people wouldn't want regulation on listing weaknesses.
Thank you for letting me know. This is good news.
I think we need to get a permission from the Team providers for the act of seeking and listing weakness, but I don't think we need any further restrictions.
This will have a valuable effect on the proper operation and tuning of the provided team and the development of the metagame.

The concept of the GSCOU Wiki system is as I wrote earlier, and I am happy to say that there were some offers for cooperation.
Therefore, I decided to clarify in advance what I would like you to cooperate with.
Due to my personal schedule, it will be a while before I can actually rent a Wiki service or allow us to update it.
However, I would be grateful if someone could prepare in advance. By doing so, we will be able to get up and running quickly.

I plan to include the following content in the Wiki system.

1. URL collection
    For GSCOU, link all the literature as much as possible and create a library.
    (Not limited to English articles)
    And, we write a brief introduction to each thread about Smogon Forums.

chio's task: Create a page with links as far as I know.
    What I would like to ask: Please supplement the links you know.

2. Strict regulation description
    The detailed regulation of GSCOU is described.
    (For NC2000, I have such detailed regulations.)
    I have not seen the flowchart for the order of each process in one turn of GSC, so I think it is better to have that as well. This is complicated and can be misinterpreted by even experienced players.
    (I have such a flowchart for the Japanese simulator.)
    The points that the mechanism is different between Pokemon Showdown and cartridge are also described.
    (The subjects are as a specification rather than a bug, for example, the difference in the number of times Point Up are used, the difference in functions related to Sleep Clause, etc.)
    The specifications of each species, move, and held item are too huge to write. Therefore, it is better to indicate Smogon University's dex, Bulbapedia, and the source code of Pokemon Showdown as the reference destination.
    Clarification of regulations may be useful for better management of the tournament, or when asking a programmer who is not very familiar with Pokemon to cooperate. Also, even if it does not useful, I think that such information is necessary to maintain the prestige of the competition.

chio's task: Create the content.
    What I would like to ask: There is nothing in particular, but I would like you to make up for any errors or deficiencies in the description.

3. The latest Strategies of each species
    This kind of article is easily out of date and everyone in Japan is worried. The Smogon University article also looks a bit old.
    And, for niche species, some species do not have an analysis for OU.
    Therefore, it does not matter if it is not organized, so I think it is a good idea to write the latest article. It also can be close to a personal note.
    The Smogon Forums seems to have a thread for updating articles on Smogon University, so it may be enough to include a link to that thread.

chio's task: Create the template.
    What I would like to ask: I do not know the location of a thread for updating articles on Smogon University, so please let me know where it is. And I want you to write the latest research.

4. Representative teams and their explanations
    With permission from the person who provided the team, we write a detailed explanation of the team that can be used in modern competitive play.
    This explanation includes "Team Achievements", "Team Information", "Explanation of Team Mechanisms", "Timing for Team Use", "Team Weaknesses", and "Team Tuning Plans". If necessary, supplement the sample replay to support the explanation.
    (I know there is a thread that describes the sample team, but that thread does not have the information needed for efficient operation, such as "Timing for Team Use", "Team Weaknesses", and "Team Tuning Plans".)
    This information is needed for a more stable and efficient operation of the team (Teams are important not only in their own strength but also in their operation). And sharing information will be the cornerstone of the next metagame.

chio's task: Create the template. And I will write a sample article using my party of NC2000 as an example.
    What I would like to ask: Based on the template and sample articles I made, I would like you to ask the team to provide and describe the explanation.

5. Publishing tools
    People tend to focus on AI, but individual tools also help develop metagames.
    I know Smogon Forums' damage calculation tools, pokepaste, and tools for creating stats from replays, so I'll introduce them first.
    Also, I would like to know if there is a way to execute Pokemon Showdown programmatically on a local PC. Research is progressing in Japan to find the winning percentage of matchups by automatically executing according to specific logic, and if it becomes possible with GSCOU, the metagame will evolve to a higher degree.

chio's task: I will introduce the tool. Also, I will make a draft page on how to run Pokemon Showdown on local PC.
    What I would like to ask: I would like you to introduce tools that I do not know and newly created tools. Also, I would like you to add how to run Pokemon Showdown on local PC. I want to do something like run 10000 times according to specific logic and get the result.

6. Explanation of abstract theory
    In Japan, abstract theory is developing, which will be a hint for the development of the player's perspective and the creation of AI.
    I think the following abstract theory particularly useful in GSCOU.
    -Team tuning concept
    -Calculation theory of the number of times that can be checked
    -Semi-permanent check using recovery moves and invalid types
    -Techniques after setting Spikes

chio's task: I will translate Japanese literature into English. And I will rewrite it if necessary.
    What I would like to ask: There is nothing in particular, but if there is an abstract theory except from Japan, I would be grateful if you could write it.

7. Tournament information
    I want you to list what kind of competitions there are.
    Also, I would like to know the past tournament results and the annual tournament schedule.

chio's task: Create the template.
    What I would like to ask: I want you to fill in the template. Also, if there is a defect in the template, I would like you to fix it as well.

I'm sorry to those who were expecting it.
I got sick mentally, so I decided to quit Pokemon.
I wrote the reason here.

The timing of execution of this plan is undecided.
But if I change my mind and want to get involved with GSCOU again, I'll implement this plan right away.

----

Below are the pages I wanted to keep in the "URL collection".
These are Japanese pages and are difficult for English-speaking people to find.

This is a page by "Kitty" who is also active in NC2000.
It is a record when he challenged the ladder of GSCOU and reached 1500.
https://note.com/sssfff/n/nd4d3acc18f76

And this is the page by "unk@bot" who challenged GSCOU before me.
This is the 2017 article.
https://mushagundam.diarynote.jp/?theme_id=15

Last edited:
Perhaps I'll not create the GSCOU Wiki, so I renamed this thread title.

(From here on, it's my personal story. I'm sorry for posting the content that is not directly related to this thread.)
I'm busy with work and it's difficult to be directly involved in the development of metagames as a player.
But, I haven't lost interest in the evolution of metagames.
Perhaps I'll return as a technical supporter.
I'll make a statement on Twitter from December 18th to 19th. At that time, I'll also return to GSC Discord server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)