International WiFi Tournament -International Challenge- WON BY Cybertron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I couldn't post earlier, school and stuff...

Anyway, full report:

Thursday
Wins: 9 (+1 which my internet connection mucked up as I was sending -____-)
Losses: 0
D/Cs: 0
Overall: Good start, despite grade 7 piano. Got bored fairly early, though.

Friday
Wins: 12
Losses: 1
D/Cs: 1
Overall: Finally motivated enough to pull some decent play time. One loss, which I got simply by being well outplayed, I don't regret the loss at all. My first D/C, too, damn you non-sporty players.

Saturday
Wins: 9
D/Cs: 1
Overall: Pretty much a repeat of Thursday, though I could've gotten more wins in if I wasn't playing Mass Effect 3 half the day.

Sunday
Wins: 10
Losses: 1
D/Cs: 5
Overall: With the tournament coming to a close, I'm not surprised so many people disconnected to save their ratings. Still, another 5 wins would have been nice. Again, would've gotten more, but a 4-hour wind band concert left my DS forgotten.

Monday
Wins: 10
D/Cs: 7
Overall: Last day! AAAAAHHH!!!! No homework, though, so I stay up from 4 til 10 playing many more games. Finally get to 50 wins after so many D/Cs. I am not amused, and I really would have appreciated that extra sleep -___-

Total:
Wins: 50
Losses: 2
D/Cs: 14
Rating: 1876
Overall: A great tourney, I just wish I had had the patience and time to do more matches. Hopefully they'll do one in Summer, when I'll have far more time. Anyway, I had a great time, some great matches and some great wins and losses. Not impressed by the 14 potential wins I would've gotten without D/Cers, but until Nintedo gets its act together to even steal Mario Kart's Wi-Fi scoring system, it can't be helped.

Now, the team, in order of importance:

Rotom-W @ Water Gem
Modest: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Protect
Easily my most important member due to its good bulk, and powerful STAB Hydro Pump. No Hidden Power, because I couldn't be bothered to get one for Rotom. Fire would have helped to no end, though his other moves were extremely valuable regardless.

Latios @ Dragon Gem
Timid: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Psychic
-Tailwind
-Protect
Blows everything up, speeds me up, retreats, repeats. Nuff said. Latios pairs surprisingly well with Rotom, and the two were often my lead about 80% of the time. Tailwind to annoy Bisharp.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
Dual STAB Metagross pwns stuff. It might not destroy the molecular bonding in stuff like the other two do, but it does have priority and is my main check to sleep inducers like Breloom and Amoonguss.

Zapdos @ Electric Gem
Modest: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Tailwind
Annoyingly, my best (and only) check to Scizor and Garchomp. Couldn't be bothered with a fancy EV spread, and the extra speed really helps me. Electric Gem Thunderbolt owns stuff. Tailwind is just great. HP Ice is for Garchomp, and Heat Wave is a great spread move that hurts Scizor and friends. Though no quite as important as the above, Zapdos is still a great member.

Tyranitar @ Dark Gem
Adamant: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Rock Slide
-Protect
A set Fantom0 suggested to me, though I believe he got it from Bharmalm. Couldn't be bothered to get Low Kick, so I decided to murder Zapdos with Stone Edge. Only really important on my team for messing around opposing weather and countering Cresselia, and the former it doesn't do very much anyway. Dark Gem Crunch takes goddamn near, if not all, of the usual Cress's HP, so any residual damage and that's bye-bye! I wouldn't be using this if Cress wasn't around.

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
Adamant: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Sucker Punch
-Wide Guard
Always (never) helpful, Hitmontop always (never) sees play.
Fake Out is a given, Close Combat owns stuff, Sucker Punch for Chandy and Wide Guard is possibly his most helpful move given my team's weakness to Scarf Aboma. Yeah... only used for that and the occasional Sandstorm team.

I'm quite impressed with a team I'd hardly tested. True, some changes here and there would be much appreciated, but there we go.

Here are a few Battle Videos I've saved. I only tend to save them if I win them, I played plenty of other fantastic opponents who beat me comprehensively but I prefer to keep proof of me doing something right! Here goes:

84-09867-75225 - vs. Takku, 1606: And the award for Most Out of Leftfield Swagger User goes to...Audino! This guy made some brilliant outpredictions and that Audino really took me by surprise (not sure whether it should, but I'm not the most experienced battler :/ ). Even though he was using two Regenerator mons, in the end he started switching out too much when he needed to be getting the damage away. Plus I don't know what he was thinking on turn 11, that could've been decisive if my Scrafty had had bad confusion hax. Anyway, a very fun and taxing match.

65-35133-70979 - vs. Moririn, 1588: Cress is pretty much my worst nightmare, given that I run a TR team, and I ALWAYS seem to mispredict whether they'll try to reverse TR or not. This was a really tight game, and he was making some downright audacious outpredictions, covering me off here, there and everywhere. As he was sending out his last two Pokémon, I was just hoping not see to either Excadrill or Tyranitar, as two of my remaining mons were EQ weak, but sure enough there was the TTar, and there was this horrible moment as my amateur katakana skills translated "do, ri, yu..." yes, Excadrill too. In the end, Metagross was a pro!

45-27179-66881 - vs Shunsu, 1709: So in the Autumn Friendly I battled GreySong, and it was epic. It took 22 minutes of me pacing rapidly and nervously around the house to pull off a (pretty lucky) win, and I'd rate it as my favourite battle ever. This was the IC12 version of that battle. Hitmontop/Chandelure really screws me over as a lead and makes it very difficult to set up TR. Chuck in a Gliscor which my team really struggles with and you have a tough contest which took all my (slightly limited) prediction skills to overcome. A 14-turn 21-minute epic which was tense to play and supremely satisfying to win!

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would post the team, but it's not mine, so I think I'll refrain from that. Very fun team to use though, and thanks to R inanimate for setting me up with it.

Only played against R inanimate and Togedelques, both of whom I lost to (close battle with R Inanimate where I used Crunch rather than Rock Slide which would have won me the battle, but hindsight is 20/20, and he was excellent throughout the match, and the second one, lost to a critical flinch that sealed the game for me).

I had a great time playing, and it seems that I'll be making the transition from PO to Wifi now, since playing on the DS is much more fun than seeing the same teams on PO every time.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would post the team, but it's not mine, so I think I'll refrain from that. Very fun team to use though, and thanks to R inanimate for setting me up with it.
You can post the team if you want to, I don't mind. Also, how often did you manage to actually use the intended team strategy in your battles? Since it's definitely not something one would consider a normal strategy.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can post the team if you want to, I don't mind. Also, how often did you manage to actually use the intended team strategy in your battles? Since it's definitely not something one would consider a normal strategy.
I think I"ll be using the team in the VGC tourney so I"ll refrain from any potential scouters.

I'll PM you what I usually did.

A few of my videos...

39-33123-47977 - So much haxxx! Breath of relief at the end ^_^

88-74443-66166 - Metagross does all the work, Rotom is lazy -__-

Check my final ranking this morning, I ended up with a Ranking of 1974 not 1977 sorry for the error, will post a picture of my screenshot 'ranking' at some point today.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
gratz to all the winners :3

finished 168th, stupid last few haxy battles + lack of motivation to keep playing D:

Wow, well done!

I ended up 178th out of 9020... Wish I'd entered with my new team/played for longer!
At least that still leaves me in the top 2% in the world :P

...I wonder if anyone was disqualified.

EDIT: I just looked through the people above me to see how many UK people there were... Seems I'm 4th out of the UK people... So many Japanese players up there though...

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
4th on this. Awful performance in the real world.

Bring on Swiss/WiFi qualification

Congratz to you guys, especially Cybertron, Osirius and Dozz!
I ended up getting 33rd, decent result and if I had just played a little more, top 10 could have been achieveable :s

Congrats you guys for placing so high!

I landed at a solid 800 with 1675. If I had quit at my peak of 1700 I'd be in the 622-640 range.

Hope I have more time to devote to the next one.

Sometimes I actually forgot I had a game going on.......... I placed 326. I really think I could of done better if I payed attention. Good Experience though.

EDIT: Congrats to everyone especially Cybertron, Osirus, and Dozz!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)