Metagame Inheritance

I have to be honest, I "prefer" Slowbro on a more outright defensive Pokemon and giving that Swole Patrol STAB U-turn to Buzzwole. It's almost 140 base Attack, c'mon. If you want to be a real shitter and ignore that Ability Clause isn't active right now, you've got like, 4 or 5 viable donators of Regen and a pivoting move.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Inheritance supposedly has 2 ability clause implemented. However, it doesn't work properly, notably allowing players to run with 6 Regenerator mons:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1410893579

I suspect this has to do with this:
1630876797822.png
The game names internally the abilities as "[ability] 0 [name of the donor pokemon]" and that second part with the name of the pokemon makes the validator think multiple copies of the same ability are different

Also shown on the replay above is how when using zygarde as a donor it doesnt show the name of the donor when the pokemon is active. I do not know if this happens with other pokemon, but currently its mostly visual, as aura break already reveals the donor

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
Dunsparce (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Glare
- Thunderbolt
- Roost/Calm Mind/Ancient Power/whatever

idk if this has already been done but seems actually really cool

That’s crazy, as Zygarde-50%, who overall has worse stats than Garchomp, didn’t need an ability with any use to be considered broken in several formats.
And that’s in a format where Steel types off the ground are pretty rare and in a format that hasn’t banned most of those moves that make Zygarde good (yet).
He is way more tanky

Zygarde has historically been a very good donor for the moves it provides, in particular Thousand Arrows and Glare. If it had a particularly strong Ability it would likely have been banned in the past.

The ladder keeps fucking me on RNG so I'll likely never make reqs, but I'd really like to see a replay or two of a Sheer Force mon blowing back a team with no recourse. So far 99% of the arguments (my own included) have been theorymon with nothing concrete backing up any side one way or the other. To start, here's a game coming down to Dragapult (who is actually in need of Suspecting) speed ties. I've lost count the number of games that have come down to this.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1412956845

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
The ladder keeps fucking me on RNG so I'll likely never make reqs, but I'd really like to see a replay or two of a Sheer Force mon blowing back a team with no recourse. So far 99% of the arguments (my own included) have been theorymon with nothing concrete backing up any side one way or the other. To start, here's a game coming down to Dragapult (who is actually in need of Suspecting) speed ties. I've lost count the number of games that have come down to this.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1412956845
Ask and you shall receive.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1412967728-tlw1mqwrrrtz7yxplyno551sx6uhpfzpw: Replay where an offensive team that has a solid check to the most common SF user (Dragapult) loses because I have coverage for Blissey and am able to force a sack, leting Marowak sweep. This is what I mean when I say SF has no switchins; all it needs to do it run a solid coverage move to hit what it needs to, and everything just drops.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1412970457-dzz5ygwfyxvkcf8398oy0xicponcv28pw: Here's what happens to a team that isn't prepared for SF. On paper, the only thing that can switch in and live is a Heatran on Ice Beam...which it does, but I procced to fall back on my Fire type switchin to, again, force a sack. From there, Thundy just won with minimal support as long as I won that 50/50 versus Corsola!Tyranitar; if not, I could easily fall back on Marowak or Magearna (broken mon btw) to clean up.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1412977967-pbixm41z7xwnuqllc11qlawozrgxgnapw: Just to show this isn't a thing with Thundurus, here's a team I built with Jolteon that still does that same thing. My opponent, despite on paper being able to play around Jolteon with Slowbro!Toxapex and AV Mienshao!Guzzlord, they have to play perfectly in order to avoid being chipped down by Jolteon + minimal support. With how easy it is for Jolteon to come in, it gets multiple opportunities to come in, eventually OHKOing Pex with Thunderbolt as the game unravels from there (even if it was EmoPex, I was running Earth Power so it didn't matter).

This is simply a few replays I was able to find given less than an hour of laddering. I have spent much more time than just this one hour laddering, and whether it be in the tembuilder or in play, I constantly find myself bending over backwards in order to beat Sheer Force and STILL end up losing, not because I was outplayed, but because the opposing SF mon was running the coverage move(s) necessary to beat my check(s). I hate how SF forces specific counterplay just to have a chance at beating it, while still being an immense pain to deal with even with the necessary checks, and would gladly like to see it gone.

Your post is actually a fantastic illustration of my point that Sheer Force isn't the issue, it's specific inheritors.

I don't know why you're trying to paint PDef Toxapex or Guzzlord as good special attacker switch-ins, but if your opponent had used a competent switch-in like Mienshao!Snorlax Jolteon gets stopped at every instance, unable to effectively chip without relying on Focus Blast's poor accuracy, and even that isn't a sure-fire 2HKO on Snorlax assuming it doesn't Knock your Life Orb. An inheritor that had enough Attack to utilize Superpower or Close Combat would have threatened more immediate KOs without a chance for Knocking your Life Orb and neutering your breaking power. Additionally, you packed a hard counter to your opponent's only option for speed control (and it was flawed speed control at that), guaranteeing lost momentum any time they tried to force out Jolteon with that, letting you continue to mount pressure as the game progressed.

That being said, your game was also a decent showcase of just how strong Regenerator is and how Guzzlord was able to maintain momentum even with a typing disadvantage in regards to Focus Blast and Ice Beam, though you still played very well and weakened all of his answers for Jolteon to get a forfeit at the end.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Your post is actually a fantastic illustration of my point that Sheer Force isn't the issue, it's specific inheritors.

I don't know why you're trying to paint PDef Toxapex or Guzzlord as good special attacker switch-ins, but if your opponent had used a competent switch-in like Mienshao!Snorlax Jolteon gets stopped at every instance, unable to effectively chip without relying on Focus Blast's poor accuracy, and even that isn't a sure-fire 2HKO on Snorlax assuming it doesn't Knock your Life Orb. An inheritor that had enough Attack to utilize Superpower or Close Combat would have threatened more immediate KOs without a chance for Knocking your Life Orb and neutering your breaking power. Additionally, you packed a hard counter to your opponent's only option for speed control (and it was flawed speed control at that), guaranteeing lost momentum any time they tried to force out Jolteon with that, letting you continue to mount pressure as the game progressed.

That being said, your game was also a decent showcase of just how strong Regenerator is and how Guzzlord was able to maintain momentum even with a typing disadvantage in regards to Focus Blast and Ice Beam, though you still played very well and weakened all of his answers for Jolteon to get a forfeit at the end.
I will admit that my Jolteon replay is flawed, but regardless, my point was to show that, with a small amount of support, a SF user can handily beat a team, or at least constantly force pressure on the opposing team unlike a majority of the mons currently available.

I can understand specific inheritors being broken, but Inheritance has already banned specific mons before. Tapu Koko was banned due to how adaptable the Mawile set was, abusing Sheer Force with near perfect coverage to beat everything. Zeraora was banned for similar reasons, with SF + an insane speed tier makes ut hard to switch into and hard to check offensively. And while Blacephalon had other sets that made it broken, its Sheer Force set was a clear factor into its banning. That's 3 mons who's ban reasoning were influenced by Sheer Force (or Mawile if you really want to get specific, but there is 0 reason to ban Mawile outside of SF). If Thundurus (or another mon I didn't mention) turns out to be broken with SF, that is 4 Pokemon banned, but a factor in their bans, Sheer Force, is allowed to roam free.

While yes, you can ban every possible SF inheritors and that would balanced it, at what point does it become clear that SF is the only consistent factor among these bans? The insane coverage it offers, the splashability to the point where it can be given to any fast mon (110+ works), and the freedom to choose what it can beat while having enough power to not be dead weight against even explict counters like EmoPex, PinchFini, or EmoStella...this is what makes SF broken regardless of inheritors. I'm tired of keeping an ability around that offers nothing other than dumb breaking power, that forces teams to have 2 switchins just to deal with it, and can tech whatever coverage it wants to beat whatever it wants at a small opportunity cost. Plus, it's just the neater option of the two (the other being to ban stuff like Thundurus), and has the added bonus of not having to play Le Funny Guessing GameTM everytime a Nidoking inheritor pops up on-screen.

Icky Inheritance Stall (#1)

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 8.32.11 PM.png

Introduction

Evil stall prevails once again in the current Inheritance meta. I just peaked at number one (1548) on the ladder with this gang of goons:

Toxapex (Mareanie) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Once again, Toxapex is so good that inheriting from itself makes it one of the most valuable members on the team. Toxic Spikes are notably good on this set as most teams seem to neglect hazard control and poison types to get rid of them. Tox is great against sun teams, inheritors from mons like Comfey/Crawdaunt/Victini, and most set up mons in general.

Ferrothorn (Eldegoss) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 114 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Cotton Guard

The second regen guy on the team, Ferrothorn's typing compliments Toxapex very well and gives Ferro the reliable recovery it has always lacked. As well as providing great utility as the team's hazard remover, Cotton Guard has actually come in surprisingly handy, allowing Ferro to outpace opposing setup (mainly Zygarde inheritors) and outlast physical attackers in conjunction with Leech Seed recovery. Sorely lacking Body Press or a better coverage attack, but Seed Bomb is occasionally useful.

Darmanitan (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Banded V-create Darm is a great nuke against any mons giving the rest of the team trouble, and gives other teams something to worry about against an otherwise very boring and static team. I've considered switching to a Choice Scarf and that may be the technically superior set, but 317 speed has shown to be suprisingly decent in this meta plus it's just fun to click banded V-create off 140 attack.

Blissey (Espeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

For a while this was a Tapu Fini with Dazzling Gleam over Toxic, but opposing Sheer Force mons became too problematic so I had to switch to a more reliable counter. Struggles against Steel type attackers (Mag + Tran) - I can count the number of times I've used Heal Bell on one hand so have debated switching to an attacking move for some damage output. With Goodra, handles all special attackers and most Sheer Force users.

Goodra (Frosmoth) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Ice Scales
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane

With 1,314 SpD right out the gate, this thing is an insane special wall and, though not quite as good as the AV Regen set from Slowking, can last a while if it is able to recieve Wish passes from Blissey). It is certainly lacking a phasing move like Dragon Tail as well as a good way to hit Steel types, but it is so tanky that chipping away enemy mons with resisted hits is sometimes sufficient. U-turn is also great to get in Darmanitan to take care of pesky Heatrans or Magearnas.

Aegislash (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Toxic

The most recent addition to the team, Aegislash replaces Quagsire Celesteela after Unaware was banned. Aegi was chosen almost exclusively to counter Lycanroc-Dusk inheritors, which I found could very easily sweep through the rest of this team after a Swords Dance. Also generally provides a good ground immunity that is otherwise lacking from the team, as well as great utility through Knock Off.

Conclusion

Overall, this team is super annoying to play against and handles almost all major threats in the meta fairly well. Notable exceptions to this I have run into include uncommon Haxorus inheritors, as Mold Breaker turns would-be counter Aegislash into Earthquake fodder and allows mons like Garchomp to run through the entire team. Special attacking Steel-types like Sheer Force Magearna and Heatran can also be a problem as although they have a hard time getting past Blissey + Goodra, there is not a lot I can do in return if I can't get a switch into Darm. The team is not perfect and the special walls could definitely use some tinkering and modification to make them more useful, but they still managed to get me to the top.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Cotton Guard

Darmanitan @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Blissey @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Attachments

Icky Inheritance Stall (#1)

View attachment 371562

Introduction

Evil stall prevails once again in the current Inheritance meta. I just peaked at number one (1548) on the ladder with this gang of goons:

Toxapex (Mareanie) @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Once again, Toxapex is so good that inheriting from itself makes it one of the most valuable members on the team. Toxic Spikes are notably good on this set as most teams seem to neglect hazard control and poison types to get rid of them. Tox is great against sun teams, inheritors from mons like Comfey/Crawdaunt/Victini, and most set up mons in general.

Ferrothorn (Eldegoss) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Cotton Guard

The second regen guy on the team, Ferrothorn's typing compliments Toxapex very well and gives Ferro the reliable recovery it has always lacked. As well as providing great utility as the team's hazard remover, Cotton Guard has actually come in surprisingly handy, allowing Ferro to outpace opposing setup (mainly Zygarde inheritors) and outlast physical attackers in conjunction with Leech Seed recovery. Sorely lacking Body Press or a better coverage attack, but Seed Bomb is occasionally useful.

Darmanitan (Victini) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Banded V-create Darm is a great nuke against any mons giving the rest of the team trouble, and gives other teams something to worry about against an otherwise very boring and static team. I've considered switching to a Choice Scarf and that may be the technically superior set, but 317 speed has shown to be suprisingly decent in this meta plus it's just fun to click banded V-create off 140 attack.

Blissey (Espeon) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

For a while this was a Tapu Fini with Dazzling Gleam over Toxic, but opposing Sheer Force mons became too problematic so I had to switch to a more reliable counter. Struggles against Steel type attackers (Mag + Tran) - I can count the number of times I've used Heal Bell on one hand so have debated switching to an attacking move for some damage output. With Goodra, handles all special attackers and most Sheer Force users.

Goodra (Frosmoth) @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane

With 1,314 SpD right out the gate, this thing is an insane special wall and, though not quite as good as the AV Regen set from Slowking, can last a while if it is able to recieve Wish passes from Blissey). It is certainly lacking a phasing move like Dragon Tail as well as a good way to hit Steel types, but it is so tanky that chipping away enemy mons with resisted hits is sometimes sufficient. U-turn is also great to get in Darmanitan to take care of pesky Heatrans or Magearnas.

Aegislash (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Toxic

The most recent addition to the team, Aegislash replaces Quagsire Celesteela after Unaware was banned. Aegi was chosen almost exclusively to counter Lycanroc-Dusk inheritors, which I found could very easily sweep through the rest of this team after a Swords Dance. Also generally provides a good ground immunity that is otherwise lacking from the team, as well as great utility through Knock Off.

Conclusion

Overall, this team is super annoying to play against and handles almost all major threats in the meta fairly well. Notable exceptions to this I have run into include uncommon Haxorus inheritors, as Mold Breaker turns would-be counter Aegislash into Earthquake fodder and allows mons like Garchomp to run through the entire team. Special attacking Steel-types like Sheer Force Magearna and Heatran can also be a problem as although they have a hard time getting past Blissey + Goodra, there is not a lot I can do in return if I can't get a switch into Darm. The team is not perfect and the special walls could definitely use some tinkering and modification to make them more useful, but they still managed to get me to the top.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Cotton Guard

Darmanitan @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Blissey @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Toxic
Cool team and cool post! I just posted another stall team that I used to get reqs in the reqs thread. I think stall is in a very good place right now because the meta is so centralized that it's easy to counterteam a lot of the common threats.

Personally, I found that Regenerator was not very essential to making a strong stall team, but this team seems to heavily feature a Regen core, so perhaps you disagree with that? I also think it was interesting that you opted not to use hazards outside of Toxic Spikes, and only Rapid Spin as hazard removal.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
So whats the deal with 2 Ability Clause?
I see in the op but why is not in the ladder?

Cool team and cool post! I just posted another stall team that I used to get reqs in the reqs thread. I think stall is in a very good place right now because the meta is so centralized that it's easy to counterteam a lot of the common threats.

Personally, I found that Regenerator was not very essential to making a strong stall team, but this team seems to heavily feature a Regen core, so perhaps you disagree with that? I also think it was interesting that you opted not to use hazards outside of Toxic Spikes, and only Rapid Spin as hazard removal.
I certainly would say Regenerator is the most essential aspect of that team- Tox and Ferro alone are able to deal with most mons on opposing teams between their typings and Haze, Tspikes, Leech Seed, and Cotton Guard. The other three defensive mons all have more niche roles to counter specific threats- Blissey and Goodra for SF users and Aegi for Lycanroc inheritors (and sometimes helps with Hoothoot Mag). Before the two ability clause I ran triple Regen with Ferro Tox and AV Slowking Goodra which was certainly better than this gimmicky Frosmoth set. I'm sure there are viable stall strategies that are less reliant on Regen cores but this has worked well so far.

I think the reason I haven't seen a need for Stealth Rocks is because Darmanitan blasts through everything without needing chip damage, and Blissey sets up a surprising amount of rocks with Magic Bounce switch ins anyway. Since Ferro is switched in so often, there are always ample opportunities to spin away any hazards that get past Magic Bounce as well.

Anyways time to benevolently bestow physical stall
42516FA2-5542-48DE-9CF2-D519679CDE96.jpeg
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body/Perish Body
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 52 SpD
Calm Nature
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Stealth Rock/Haze

42516FA2-5542-48DE-9CF2-D519679CDE96.jpeg
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
Calm Nature
- Recover/Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Taunt

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I’ve been on ladder a little bit and I’m confused by all the water types inheriting from Morgrem. They’re running dual screens and two other moves. What’s up with them?
oops. that might be on me. Its just that screens is so fun!

talking about it, new tech for screens zyg!chomp

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Extreme Speed
- Coil

Extreme Speed allows chomp to both forgo dragon dance as a way to beat faster pokemons and to better threaten grass and bug mons that might get in its way. While it does need a couple of boosts to ohko a lot of the dangerous stuff, notably needing to be at +3 to ohko thundurus from full, screens support should make getting these boosts a realistic feat

Wanted to share a cool HO core I've been playing with that has served me pretty well:

:raikou: :magearna: :zapdos-galar:
Pincurchin (Raikou) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Scald
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Raichu-Alola (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Surge Surfer
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draining Kiss
- Rising Voltage
- Surf

Incineroar / Mienshao (Zapdos-Galar) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Intimidate / Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Surge Surfer Magearna gets pretty interesting coverage that lets it beat a lot of the Fire and Steel types used to check it, and it's faster than Dragapult in terrain. Galarian Zapdos is a sleeper pick in this meta, dual STABs are really hard to wall, and Intimidate + Electric Seed lets it switch in very fearlessly on physical attackers.

If you're looking for an HO that's not screens, I put together a fun little setup spam team here: https://pokepast.es/83b11f9016150367 Enjoy!

thoughts on this for fighting (comfey)magearna?

(tentacruel)Guzzlord @ Focus Sash /HDB
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 12 SpD
Naughty Nature
- Knock Off
and a nice little toolbox of other moves like rapid spin/haze/infestation/t spikes/magic coat/mirror coat/toxic

0 SpA Magearna Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 12- SpD Guzzlord: 492-580 (75.6 - 89.2%(101.3 - 119.5% recovered) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)