SPOILERS! Indigo Disk Discussion

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know what has been bugging me?
When the chapter begins, they all leave your house to then meet in front of the city gates to then travel by plane.
But there is no airport in that city, or anywhere else...
I mean, where else would an airport be in Paldea? I assume it is there but just not normally accessible. We leave from Mesagoza both to Kitakami and Blueberry Academy initially in the DLC.

I have to echo the feeling of not understanding why the backstory was not in the games at all. There are a lot of ways they could have gone around it, and it's baffling they didn't. It's still a huge step forward compared to how Mythicals have been handled for like, a decade, but we have more clues in-game about Meloetta than of Pecharunt's true nature!

I honestly liked the Epilogue for what it was but now I will always think of it as incomplete because of missing something so important. It's such a shame, because I loved the base game's story and find the cast to be the best of the main series (good enough to bring me back to the franchise after almost 10 years) and I feel like it could have ended on a higher note

Last edited:
I don't mind the scenes used for the Pecharunt video being reserved for a video, but I do find it strange that none of the information it conveys is in-game somewhere, like Kitakami having more story billboards or some legend in a School Library or something.
just a book added to the library thats like "Fanciful Tales From Faraway Lands! An old couple was said to have a son born from a peach! Then they started acting strange, greedy and coveting more extravagant things...." (& you can add some extra from there if you want) and then add some backstory to the "doll" at Peachys by having some NPCs mention that its called the Never Rotting Peach and said to have been found aaaages ago. Have the mayor lament how they could have had it be a tourist attraction....not that he would ever do that of course, haha jk (unless...?)

Really most of the stuff was there (the Loyal 3's backstory is in their map descriptions, you can imagine how Pecharunt went into its resting state based on what Ogerpon did, etc), it's just that very beginning and the very end of the tale I feel could have easily been added somewhere. A little thing you could piece together if you don't see the video.

anyway when's the briar backstory video

I don't mind the scenes used for the Pecharunt video being reserved for a video, but I do find it strange that none of the information it conveys is in-game somewhere, like Kitakami having more story billboards or some legend in a School Library or something.
No one in Kitakami knew about Pecharunt prior to the epilogue, why would there be signs? And who would have written a book? Ogerpon?

No human in the Pokémon world ever knew 90% of what was in the video. Or ever will, given that the only creature that actually ever knew most of the story was Pecharunt itself.

Aside from someone maybe referencing the Never-Rotting Peach name, none of the new information is actually known by humans.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Not necessarily Pokémon related, but this discussion about the Pecharunt video and how it was handled reminds of me of a time in the Smash Bros. series, specifically with Brawl, where a lot of information about the G.O.A.T. The Subspace Emissary adventure mode was purposely withheld from the game itself. Character dialogue is famously (almost) completely absent from all of the cutscenes, and many things are left up to interpretation on purpose. A lot of the answers could be found on the Super Smash Bros. DOJO website, or at least I believe that’s what it was called, which was effectively this blog-like site where Sakurai could post about behind-the-scenes information about Brawl’s gameplay and development.

The difference here for me is twofold. In that example, even once you start knowing what’s really going on, there are still different ways to interpret why the characters did what they did, and the lack of dialogue rewards players for digging into the heart of what made this adventure mode so special. All of this is happening without taking away from the other most important part of any game, that being the gameplay itself. While with this… I understand that comparing the Epilogue of a DLC to one of Nintendo’s best pieces of storytelling… maybe ever? isn’t a fair comparison at all, the lack of connection between the undisclosed story and the gameplay itself sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

No one in Kitakami knew about Pecharunt prior to the epilogue, why would there be signs? And who would have written a book? Ogerpon?

No human in the Pokémon world ever knew 90% of what was in the video. Or ever will, given that the only creature that actually ever knew most of the story was Pecharunt itself.

Aside from someone maybe referencing the Never-Rotting Peach name, none of the new information is actually known by humans.
The video itself just states its a legend not told in Kitakami. There is plenty of room for other humans to be aware of certain parts of the story. Between the grand library of the Academy, tourists coming into Kitakami or Blueberry's extensive resources there's plenty of avenues for someone somewhere to know something about an old couple who had a peach child.

Like the Loyal 3's transformative backstories are known by someone in-universe. It shows up on the map profiles for them and the pokedex. If not the people of Kitakami, then by people who saw them on their journey to Kitakami.

That's also why pika pal threw in the "School Library" as a possibility. You can easily have unattributed myths & legends about things.

They don't have to know it to be fact, but a legend about a Couple somewhere that had a Peach Child wouldn't exactly be far-fetched or bizarre for a world as fantastic as Pokemon, especially just AS a folktale or legend without knowing Pecharunt actually existed.

Also, people were speculating about Pecharunt before release because a symbol that correlates to it shows up in the art used while being told the Loyal 3/Ogerpon story during the Teal Mask. There's a child the villagers speculated to be their trainer on the Loyalty Plaza sign (first hint falling in line with the Momotaro dynamic) running with a ball floating amongst them that looks like a Pokeball but hindsight would suggest to be Pecharunt, and during the Grandfather's recount of the TRUE story, Pecharunt can be spotted in the upper right corner of the screen. You can tell that it's meant to be a distinct entity because it pulls down to "zoom in" on the view of Oni Mountainlike Fezandipti, instead of moving upward as part of Okidogi. Pecharunt isn't referenced in particular but most of the story just refers to the group as a collective of "Greedy Pokemon" regardless. This is an in-universe detail that has no reason to include Pecharunt if the characters aren't aware it exists.

1705423252478.png

More to the point this detail is just the half about knowing in-universe Pecharunt came to Kitakami at the time the Loyal 3 would have, not the much more mystical/fantastical part about it being a Mind-Control Mochi feeder Pokemon that would have originated outside the region anyway (given the Parents are stated to have heard about the masks in a "Faraway" land, suggesting they and Pecharunt lived well removed from Kitakami). The Scarlet/Violet book is also full of borderline cryptid descriptions for the Paradoxes that no one in-universe is supposed to know truly exist either, on top of them having Pokedex entries that equate them to speculative creatures in Tabloids. If these Magazines are making up Billion Year old Jigglypuff and Ancient-Civilization machine Delibird, why is a Peach Child that much of a stretch to find mentioned in a weird magazine or a book of legends?

None of this information needs to all be known by a single entity in the manner described to have it all in-game for the player to find and connect the dots. One person in Paldea or Kalos or Poke-China or just some other region far from Kitakami recounts "hey there was this old Legend about a couple here that raised a child who looked like a Peach" in a book of fairy tales, and then someone different in Kitakami recounts the Loyal 3 having something round with them when they came to Kitakami (don't even have to know it was a Pokemon) as an innocuous detail. No one remembers it well because Pecharunt got yeeted into the woods and thus its body wasn't found with the Loyal 3 after the fight, so it's not assigned the same importance in the legend that gets inflated into a tourist attraction (to the point they keep using it even after knowing the Loyal 3 were Bandit Jerks). That puts both halves in places that are only known by people who could logically have access to them, but allows the player character to be exposed to all of them so you can piece the full story together based on in-game information, even if the Youtube video is a richer presentation.

Occured to me that this is the first main line game ( some of the spinoffs, like Colosseum, lack it ) to not have the Zubat line in it.
Even BW1 had the line freely available in the post game. SWSH had to wait for the Crown Tundra, but they arrived anyway.

But even after all the DLC, SV is still Zubat free. Never thought I'd see the day.

Occured to me that this is the first main line game ( some of the spinoffs, like Colosseum, lack it ) to not have the Zubat line in it.
Even BW1 had the line freely available in the post game. SWSH had to wait for the Crown Tundra, but they arrived anyway.

But even after all the DLC, SV is still Zubat free. Never thought I'd see the day.
It's kind of surprising the Tentacool line also had to wait so long considering Toedscool was in the base game. I can't say I miss it, but it's so weird to not see these two all over the place

Which also reminds me that they didn't recover the convergent land Magikarp we almost got instead of them. I really thought that was a given for the DLC, but I guess the "slots" avaliable on it were too limited

It's kind of surprising the Tentacool line also had to wait so long considering Toedscool was in the base game. I can't say I miss it, but it's so weird to not see these two all over the place

Which also reminds me that they didn't recover the convergent land Magikarp we almost got instead of them. I really thought that was a given for the DLC, but I guess the "slots" avaliable on it were too limited
At least Tentacool has the excuse of Toedscool likely being a comparatively last minute addition, followed by Kitakami only having rivers.

Meanwhile I was always a little surprised at people seeing the codename and assuming "well obviously it's coming back all finished up", because my assumption was if it was axed far enough into development that they didnt update the code name despite going through the entire design process for a separate Pokemon, then it wasn't coming together how they wanted and scrapped entirely rather than something on hold until they had a few more months in the oven.

At least Tentacool has the excuse of Toedscool likely being a comparatively last minute addition, followed by Kitakami only having rivers.

Meanwhile I was always a little surprised at people seeing the codename and assuming "well obviously it's coming back all finished up", because my assumption was if it was axed far enough into development that they didnt update the code name despite going through the entire design process for a separate Pokemon, then it wasn't coming together how they wanted and scrapped entirely rather than something on hold until they had a few more months in the oven.
That's a good point. Personally, it being such a late change to the point of showing up in the code and having the last ability by index made me think that maybe it just overlapped with another new mon like Orthworm, and that they still had a mostly finished design lying around. But I guess if that was the case they would have indeed at least changed the codenames for the future.

I just think the appeal of Toedscool will be lost to a new player because of not having Tentacool show alongside or before it, but if they cared about that Poltchageist would probably not exist

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, Magikarp and Gyarados are the only Pokémon to be obtainable in single player in every core series Pokémon game, in addition to all of those appearances being available before the postgame with the exception of BW and B2W2. Interestingly, the Indigo DIsk's PokéDex continues the trend of Unova regional Dexes being the only region where it's not listed in there somewhere.

I want Magikarp next. Gyarados is cool and all but I am sick of seeing like 10 Magikarp especially in these 3D games.

"Woah, water! I wonder what it has-" Magikarp. I know it's partially a gag, partially because it's supposed to be so common, but idk I just wouldn't mind a break from it.

From the looks of it, when you activate Minior's Shields Down in tera raids, in battle it will appear in its black/shiny form, but the actual colour you get is revealed (a) on the mini sprite when the ability activates and (b) when you KO it and are prompted to catch it.

So if you thought "Holy shit, a shiny Minior!" don't be fooled.
(I’ve been wanting to reply to this post for a while but couldn’t find it)

All Minior appear as shiny when Terastallized for some reason

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want Magikarp next. Gyarados is cool and all but I am sick of seeing like 10 Magikarp especially in these 3D games.

"Woah, water! I wonder what it has-" Magikarp. I know it's partially a gag, partially because it's supposed to be so common, but idk I just wouldn't mind a break from it.
Also: “I wonder what mon I can use to clear this gen’s Nuzlocke. Oh right, Gyarados still in the game, heh heh.”

I feel Terapagos is underwhelming as a legendary, in terms of its place in the story. A lot of the legendary Pokemon introduced in this generation—especially the bikes and Ogerpon—have characterizations that get introduced and/or develop as the story progresses (or via other media in the case of Pecharunt). Terapagos doesn't get that; it wounds up just being a plot device to conclude Kieran's character development by the time it's formally introduced. I think that's disappointing for the final legendary to be treated like that in the story when other legendaries have or develop some sort of personality.

I also don't like the gameplay concept that Terapagos was designed to be, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to discuss here.

Speaking of Terapagos and the game's disinterest to talk about it I was thinking of how we found it again

It's really wedged in there, and its not a"went to sleep and wound up attached into the crystal" kind of thing, you can see the cracks (fissures??) on its little pedestal. Like it was forcibly shoved into it, kinda?

Considering Heath not only saw it, but saw it in its full terastalized splendor, I wonder what happened during that encounter or between that encounter & present day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)