In-Game Team Help

So I've noticed that the competitive analysis for many of the pokemon RBY require the same moves that are taught through TM. Some of these, such as body slam, are only found once in the game. I was wondering if there were any viable teams you can make in game that do not require 2 games to create.

Without using the glitch, teams end up a bit funky, but can still be alright. Thunder Wave, Hyper Beam, Body Slam, Psychic, Earthquake, Thunderbolt, and Blizzard are all tough to limit. Tauros is a must and deserves its standard set, which means Lax can't have EQ (so you gotta go with AmLax, which eats your IB TM.) I'd recommend Jolt for the free TWave, even though it takes up Tbolt. After that, you have to make a choice between Chan and Zam. If you pick Chan, your best lead becomes Jynx, which in turn makes Egg a non-player (both need the Psychic TM.) The only viable way to go Big 4 imo would be lead Jolt, as you can still roll with SToss Chan, Egg, Tauros, and AmLax. Even if you dropped Chan or Egg, the last slot is pretty limited. SubGolem (since no BS) is a good pick. You can also go Dnite (gotta use Surf over Blizz for standard AgiliWrap, but HB is a blessing of a level-up move. TWave is as well, though DNite's not the best user of it.)

You can try to run non-standard sets to get around TM limitations, but you'll probably be worse off for it unless it's something you'd normally run anyway. I'd recommend just doing something like:

Jolt / SToss Chan / Egg / AmLax / Tauros / Dnite (or SubGolem)
Zam / Egg / AmLax / Jolt / Tauros / Dnite (or SubGolem)

Jolteon
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Pin Missile
Double Kick

Chansey
Seismic Toss
Thunder Wave
Softboiled
Reflect / Sing / Counter

Exeggutor
Psychic
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore / Double-Edge / Mega Drain
Explosion

Snorlax
Body Slam
Ice Beam
Amnesia
Rest

Tauros
Body Slam
Earthquake
Blizzard
Hyper Beam

Dragonite
Wrap
Agility
Surf
Hyper Beam

Golem
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Substitute
Explosion

Alakazam
Psychic
Thunder Wave
Recover
Seismic Toss / Reflect

Kyergr

Last edited:
Hyper Beam can be purchased an unlimited number of times in the pachinko parlor if I recall.
Oh cool, you can get multiples of that one. Lax still won't bother with it, since no EQ, but a few lower tier mons can probably work in the 6th slot now. Persian w/ Thunder instead of Tbolt is an interesting option; the extra power is actually nice, tbh. Cloyster for instance goes from a guaranteed 3HKO to a 95.4% chance to 2HKO, ignoring crits and misses (it's actually a ~10.88% chance to OHKO factoring those in.) A couple SDers like Kingler or Victreebel can also work their way onto teams somehow. Still probably better off using the above, but cool to see there's more options ^.^

i somehow missed the body slam tm
can tauros learn it through leveling?
also is missingno still present in the virtual console for 3ds?

i somehow missed the body slam tm
can tauros learn it through leveling?
also is missingno still present in the virtual console for 3ds?
Tauros can't learn it leveling, but missingno is there, yeah. Your best bet for making a competitive team in-game would be restarting, unfortunately. Once the SS Anne ships off, you can miss it for good :(

Snorlax is actually pretty versatile with in-game limitations, since it learns Body Slam by level-up, Reflect and Hyper Beam are purchasable/winnable in Celadon (department store and game corner, respectively), and Surf is a reusable HM (you can use it instead of Ice Beam to save that TM for someone else). Springboarding off Jellicent's suggestions, try Body Slam/Reflect/Amnesia/Rest or Body Slam/Surf/Amnesia/Rest, or even Surf/Amnesia/Reflect/Rest.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if you're using just one game, that means no Alakazam, Golem and Gengar, unless you use the Ditto glitch. Jynx is also available as a trade in Red/Blue, but not in Yellow. Other than that, Snorlax with Body Slam/Surf/Amnesia/Rest seems like a great idea. Zapdos with Thunder instead of Thunderbolt is a legitimate and viable option, considering the restraints of one game.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As a lad with no friends I always liked thinking about "single-play" teams like this. Lapras and Snorlax are both pretty great because neither is really a huge TM hog (learning Bslam via level-up is a huge help). Hypno becomes the top Psychic for sure. Rhydon vs. Golem takes on a new spin, because the former is a TM hog but the latter has to be Graveler.

As a lad with no friends I always liked thinking about "single-play" teams like this. Lapras and Snorlax are both pretty great because neither is really a huge TM hog (learning Bslam via level-up is a huge help). Hypno becomes the top Psychic for sure. Rhydon vs. Golem takes on a new spin, because the former is a TM hog but the latter has to be Graveler.
that's why i generally try to steer clear of pokemon that evolve by trade in PS because i like to also build my teams in the main series after i make one on PS

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Dragonite is great late-game, as it learns all its best moves ingame. Agility, Wrap, and Hyper Beam are level-up moves, and Surf is required to complete the game.
Only problem is that it levels up slowly and requires a bit of grinding to be good mid-game.
Even if you can't trade, Kadabra and Haunter are really good on their own. Kabadra learns mostly Psychic moves, but the only Pokemon that resist it are other Psychic types. He also gets Recover, which helps since there is a finite amount of money ingame until you can keep beating the Elite 4. Haunter requires TMs to be good, but they are well used on him.
Dugtrio is also a solid in-game choice. It learns Slash and Earthquake through level-up and has decent stats by RBY standards.
Dodrio gets great level-up dual STABs in Tri Attack and Drill Peck, and it can also serve as a good Fly user for traveling between cities.
Lapras gets good moves through level-up including Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Body Slam, and Confuse Ray.
I still highly recommend getting a Tauros for ingame play. Earthquake is well used on him, and Strength is a passable move for ingame purposes.

Edit: If you don't mind using legendaries, Zapdos is a great choice. And as many have stated, Snorlax has a great level-up moveset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)