VGC I'm not that great at VGC so some help with this team would be nice

Hello, I decided i would finally use these forums for something, so i decided i would get help reviewing this s9 team before i use it

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

An interesting pick, Porygon-Z is definitely not used in s9 being overshadowed by weezing and regigigas, but the theory here is that pz is better than that, with adaptability it can hit things very hard for lots of damage, however there's no clefairy or redirection on the team, so i ran scarf porygon-z since it can already do enough damage with its adaptability and 135 sp atk, i've also seen it can hit most of the meta game really well as the metagame in my opinion, focus's more on the physical side, and its strong enough to be able to take on the standard tapu fini set which is quite big for this team: 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Tapu Fini: 160-190 (46.5 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

Thundurus (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Crunch

Thundurus is the perfect fit for this team getting rid of fighting types of porygon z and taking out water types for the sun part of this team which is very nice for this team, as well as using assault vest for longevity in the battle, it runs the standard av thundy moveset since it has the best coverage on most mons

Urshifu-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Detect
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch

standard sash urshifu set, built for hitting ice and rock types for thundurus, with excellent moves against the meta game, a very solid pick if i do say so myself, i thought about using urshifu water but with the extra weaknesses i thought that urshifu dark would work the best with this team, i really dont care about fairies since in my eyes they dont pose a threat

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Burning Jealousy
- Earth Power
- Eruption

now the other part of this team. sun. i pu this here since i really didn;t know what else to put and it works pretty nice on this team, this is just ur standard torkoal and nothing else. burning jealousy hits physical maxers, earth power knocks out electric types for zard (sort of) and torkoal is just a good mon overall

Charizard-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Scorching Sands

another standard set, charizard gets to go in and kill stuff, thats all. heat wave is a nice spread move and air slash has good 100% accuracy and scorching sands is cool for elekis, i actually had heliolisk as a thought for this team to deal with water types, but heliolisk is weak and i was gonna put venu anyways

Venusaur-Gmax @ Coba Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Weather Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power

venusaur with the same case as charizard. sleep powder just sleeps people, leaf storm is amazing stab, weather ball hits ice types for zard and earth power fully allows electric types to not be a problem, i actually thought about expert belt since flying types wouldn't be as big as they were in s9 like in s8 venusaur but i wanted a bit of a more bulkier venusaur so i went with the standard coba

If there's anything i should change just comment below :>

Last edited:

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I noticed you posted lots of positive comments on my rates, i'm here to help you improve the team as best as i can.
I figured out that this isn't your first team and you're quite experienced in vgc, so i'm not going to explain all the metagame stuff and just get straight to the point.
The team is missing synergy, you filled it up with good mons but you couldn't connect them well. I'll start discussing each mon and then propose various options to change the team.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
:Porygon-Z:
Shadow Ball-->Ice Beam
Shadow Ball isn't a move that you really want, it doesn't help you with defense drops when maxed and it doesn't hit anything that dark pulse doesn't already hit. So, seen the raise in usege of Garchomp, Ice beam appears to be almost mandatory. Also, I Know that choice Scarf is a good item to outspeed metagame staples such as Urshifu and the aftermentioned Garchomp, but PZ works well only when dynamaxed and without a Life Orb you end up missing important OHKOs and that's a bad thing. Consider adding a tailwind setter to support Porygon and its poor speed instead of the Sun Core because it isn't really fitting for it.

Thundurus (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Crunch
:Thundurus:
Thundurus is another mon that works well with dynamax but when it isn't dynamaxed it pretty much sucks. As you said that one is a solid set but without any support it isn't going to work well.

Urshifu-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Detect
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch
:Urshifu:
Its strengths make it a really solid mon capable of working well in every team, but some speed control support might help it a lot.

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Burning Jealousy
- Earth Power
- Eruption

now the other part of this team. sun. i pu this here since i really didn;t know what else to put and it works pretty nice on this team, this is just ur standard torkoal and nothing else. burning jealousy hits physical maxers, earth power knocks out electric types for zard (sort of) and torkoal is just a good mon overall

Charizard-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Scorching Sands

another standard set, charizard gets to go in and kill stuff, thats all. heat wave is a nice spread move and air slash has good 100% accuracy and scorching sands is cool for elekis, i actually had heliolisk as a thought for this team to deal with water types, but heliolisk is weak and i was gonna put venu anyways

Venusaur-Gmax @ Coba Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Weather Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power

venusaur with the same case as charizard. sleep powder just sleeps people, leaf storm is amazing stab, weather ball hits ice types for zard and earth power fully allows electric types to not be a problem, i actually thought about expert belt since flying types wouldn't be as big as they were in s9 like in s8 venusaur but i wanted a bit of a more bulkier venusaur so i went with the standard coba
:Torkoal: :Venusaur: :Charizard:
I treat these three as as one because they work together well, the point is, you can't stick sun in every team and hope that it works. The three of them are good but they must be supported by a strong secondary core.

That being said we have two options to discuss
1) We remove Charizard and make a PZ Team with a secondary sun based core
2) We remove Porygon and make a Sun Team
I'll just focus on Option 1 because Sun teams are usually all a "more of the same"

:Porygon-Z: :Urshifu: :Regieleki: :Venusaur: :Indeedee-F: :Torkoal:
As you can see i removed Charizard and Thundurus and added new members.
:Regieleki:
Provides Speed control and high damage dealing options, it can be used as a suicide lead to speed control, as a screen setter or even as a specs all out attacker.

Regieleki @ Choice Specs
Ability: Transistor
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Electroweb
- Hyper Beam

Regieleki @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Electroweb
- Thunder Cage
- Protect

Regieleki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt / Protect

All these sets can support Porygon and Sun in different ways so choose the one you like the most.

:Indeedee-F:
Indedee is a really good follow me user that can support Porygon with Helping Hand and also remove Tapu Fini's Misty Surge to let Venusaur use Sleep Powder freely.

Indeedee-F (F) @ Colbur Berry / Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Expanding Force
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me
- Protect / Mystical Fire

Now that we're done discussing here's a paste of how i imagined the team with adjusted spreads and adjusted movesets, feel free to disagree and change spreads and moves as you want.
Hope this rate helps you with your teambuilding! Until next time!

Reactions: eu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)