I'm designing a crossover project between Pokémon and the 3D Super Mario platformers

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok ive tried to be patient. ive tried to be an optimist and let the developers work. as we all know a delayed game may some day be good, but a rushed game will be forever bad

how-ever i can no longer in good conscience accept the delays to this project. it has been four months and we are yet to see any footage of the game, or even screenshots. what engine is the development of this game in? when is the release date? who will be voicing super pikachu? who can say! to make matters worse i am yet to receive my consolation backers-only ash ketchum pokemon league/super mario cap crossover merch

now i learn that just conceiving of where the pokemons may be distributed across the game could take a year???

regrettably i must STRONGLY REQUEST a refund of my pledge. i cant believe ive been burned again

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
ok ive tried to be patient. ive tried to be an optimist and let the developers work. as we all know a delayed game may some day be good, but a rushed game will be forever bad

how-ever i can no longer in good conscience accept the delays to this project. it has been four months and we are yet to see any footage of the game, or even screenshots. what engine is the development of this game in? when is the release date? who will be voicing super pikachu? who can say! to make matters worse i am yet to receive my consolation backers-only ash ketchum pokemon league/super mario cap crossover merch

now i learn that just conceiving of where the pokemons may be distributed across the game could take a year???

regrettably i must STRONGLY REQUEST a refund of my pledge. i cant believe ive been burned again
the people wanted the game, and now the people have spoken…
I genuinely cannot tell if you’re both being sarcastic or not. This was solely for fun, see.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Hey there, everyone. It's been a while since I've talked about this, and semi-recently I even changed my profile picture to something I think is very fitting given what this crossover about. Where I come from, we call this an "epic gamer moment" :totodiLUL:

The truth is, during the recent (albeit shorter than expected) leave of absense I took from the forums, that gave me a lot of time to go over my ideas I've been working on for this crossover, since it's still Pokémon related but not Pokémon related in the ways that were making me upset at the time. That, and I've also grown to appreciate how many 3D Mario references are on my Pokémon Violet team... even if the rest of the game doesn't interest me right now, but still, it's the thought that counts.

Seriously, how funny is that the same exact year I start working on a Pokémon X 3D Mario crossover series, we get them announced as Pokémon for a new region?

:sv/finizen: :sv/palafin:

Oh, also :sv/nacli: is still literally just a Rock Mushroom and I will not be convinced it isn't.

I have an update I wanted to provide on what I actually want to do with these ideas. It's been a slow process, but I've been getting back into one of my hobbies- that being free writing- as of recently, and I'm thinking about turning this into that, although I'm still fine with what anyone else wants to use my/our ideas for, so long as I know you're doing it. You don't even have to credit me for these ideas. I'll be nice and let you guys have the fame if any of you makes this into... I dunno, some ROM hacks or something. Provided I wouldn't be doing actual panels for it (at least, not yet, you never know), the way I imagine the player character (In this case, Mario/Luigi for the male protagonists and Peach/Daisy for the female protagonists) would experience this would kind of be like how the Pokémon Adventures manga is split up into all those various story arcs. So using Super Pokémon 96 as an example, each of the main 15 stages from the actual game would be, like, their own arc, you know? Same goes for what I have in mind for the Bowser levels across the series.

In the meantime, I am currently looking for help on deciding what kinds of Pokémon may best suit various enemies and bosses. Some of these seem obvious enough- Carnivine could be a Piranha Plant, the regional rodents are your Goombas, stuff like that. Aaaand then there's enemies like the Spiky Topmen, who could literally only be Hitmontop despite not Hitmontop not looking anything like one of these guys, not to mention it would just be Hitmontop and not Tyrogue, which I want to avoid if at all possible. Ideally I can keep Pokémon together with their evolution lines, but I suppose it's fine if I have to cut some corners here. Any thoughts you guys have about these design aspects and the project itself are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help, it really means a lot to me! :D

Reactions: BP
Here's everything I could think of as a non-Hitmontop Topman substitute. I'm counting Electric weakness as a positive here given Topmaniac's boss fight:

:shellder::cloyster: (Rapid Spin, Ice Spinner, Drill Run, Steel Roller, Electric-weak)
:staryu::starmie: (alien, Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball, Rollout, Electric-weak)
:qwilfish:(Steel Roller, Gyro Ball, contact damage)
:pineco::forretress: (Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball, Ice Spinner, Drill Run, Rollout, contact damage in Conquest)
:baltoy::claydol: (Rapid Spin, alien)
:beldum::metang::metagross:(alien, Gyro Ball, Steel Roller, Rollout)
:venipede::whirlipede::scolipede: (contact damage, Steamroller, Gyro Ball, Rollout)
:ferroseed::ferrothorn: (contact damage, gen5 animation shows spinning, Gyro Ball)
:minior: (animation shows spinning, alien, Gyro Ball, Electric-weak)
:togedemaru: (contact damage, Gyro Ball, Steel Roller)
:rolycoly::carkol::coalossal: (contact damage, Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball)
:iron treads: (alien, Rapid Spin, Ice Spinner, Steel Roller, rollout)

I realized that that might have just been an example of a hard pick rather than something that directly needs action slightly too late to stop.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Here's everything I could think of as a non-Hitmontop Topman substitute. I'm counting Electric weakness as a positive here given Topmaniac's boss fight:

:shellder::cloyster: (Rapid Spin, Ice Spinner, Drill Run, Steel Roller, Electric-weak)
:staryu::starmie: (alien, Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball, Rollout, Electric-weak)
:qwilfish:(Steel Roller, Gyro Ball, contact damage)
:pineco::forretress: (Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball, Ice Spinner, Drill Run, Rollout, contact damage in Conquest)
:baltoy::claydol: (Rapid Spin, alien)
:beldum::metang::metagross:(alien, Gyro Ball, Steel Roller, Rollout)
:venipede::whirlipede::scolipede: (contact damage, Steamroller, Gyro Ball, Rollout)
:ferroseed::ferrothorn: (contact damage, gen5 animation shows spinning, Gyro Ball)
:minior: (animation shows spinning, alien, Gyro Ball, Electric-weak)
:togedemaru: (contact damage, Gyro Ball, Steel Roller)
:rolycoly::carkol::coalossal: (contact damage, Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball)
:iron treads: (alien, Rapid Spin, Ice Spinner, Steel Roller, rollout)

I realized that that might have just been an example of a hard pick rather than something that directly needs action slightly too late to stop.
A lot of these have Rapid Spin and/or the recently added Ice Spinner in there, which was something I was thinking about, but I'll be honest- I didn't even think about the Electric weakness part. That's really clever. Gotta hand it to you for that one. Out of this list, knowing that the Galaxy games would have a Gen 4 era theme to it, I'd say Baltoy (with Claydol as the boss), Beldum or Metang (with Metagross as the boss), and Staryu/Starmie are probably my favorite ideas for this, especially given Staryu's Electric weakness. Togedemaru also fits what I was looking for really well, but is an Alolan Pokémon, most of whom I'd be saving for the Mario Odyssey part of this series (late 2010s era, Gen 7).

I will say this about Minior, since it's on the list- Minior is one of those "cross-generational Pokémon" that I'd be okay with moving to a different game despite what region it's from. Minior just fits Mario Galaxy's style perfectly, kind of like how I'm using Piplup for Mario 64's penguins even though it's a Sinnoh Pokémon (it does help that said penguins make a reappearance in Galaxy, though) So far for Minior, I'm thinking it could be the stand-in for the Lumas, with the black shiny Minior in particular being a reference to Polari, the black Luma in the Comet Obversatory that hangs out everywhere.

perhaps the game will have mario in there ?
In a similar vein to how Pokémon games (at least, from Crystal onwards) have the "Are you a boy or a girl?" sequence, I was thinking that Mario, Luigi, Peach, and let's also throw in Daisy for good measure would be the stand-in for this. In a similar manner to how some regions like Hoenn and Kalos have the opposite-gender protagonist as a rival character, I was thinking that this could be represented in the crossover too. For example, if you choose to play as Peach, than you'd swap her role in the story with that of Mario's role. Same goes for Luigi and Daisy, naturally, even though Daisy (who rather strangely) has never appeared in a 3D Mario game so far, unless you count that one cat from Bowser's Fury.

Edit: Here's a reference chart for who would be in which role, for you and anyone else who's curious:

If playing as Mario: Luigi is player 2, Peach takes her usual role
If playing as Luigi: Mario is player 2, Daisy takes Peach's role
If playing as Peach: Daisy is player 2, Mario takes Peach's role
If playing as Daisy: Peach is player 2, Luigi takes Peach's role
And while we're at it, Yoshi would go with Birdo and Toad would go with Toadette. Not sure about Wario in 64 DS yet though.

In the case of Super Mario 3D World, where the playable characters consist of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina in the post-game, I would imagine the "choose your character" sequence would operate differently than how it does in the rest of the crossover parts, especially given that Peach's usual role in that game is filled by the Sprixie Princesses in this game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)