I rain on your parade - 5th Gen Drizzle Team

Hey guys, this is my first serious team in Gen 5. I always wanted to use a rain dance team and thanks to politoed's well known dream world ability, drizzle which gives rain dance teams great support and independence, it's now here :). This team actually gave me some troubles and I changed it many times. Finally I got a decent solution;

The biggest threats on this team in my opinion are bulky pokemon like nattorei and roopushin. If my Scizor is dead I can't do anything to either of them.

@ Leftovers Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Before Forretress I've used Erufuun as an annoying lead. Unfortunately Erufuun hasn't done that much besides annoying. Furthermore I've often had troubles with entry hazards and I've needed to get rid of them. Forretress makes an amazing lead, especially in the rain. Gyroball is nescessary on Forretress because otherwise it can't do anything against incoming ghost types which are supposed to stop me rapid spinning. When fearing a fire type move I'm switching to politoed which takes those like a beast with roundabout 15% damage. Additionally Forretress does a good job when fighting sand storm teams.

@ Chesto Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 4 SAtk / 60 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Boil Over
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Toxic

Politoed easily takes one or two physical or special hits. I always try to use it as early as possible to activate the rain. Against Suicune/Burungeru and other water tanks I'm using toxic. When being toxiced myself or paralyzed or burned I'm using rest. Chesto Berry wakes me up again and I'm able to switch out easily.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Gliscor does great job in the rain as well. You can easily switch it in into electro types like Zapdos/Boruterosu/Jolteon and so on and OHKO them with either EQ or SE. It's a good stall breaker and makes nasty pokemon like nattorei or blissey switch out after using taunt. It's also doing good when fighting sand storm teams. OHKO's the mole. Does decent damage on ttar. When fearing ice or water moves I most likely switch out into politoed or rotom-w.

@ Life Orb Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 208 Atk / 136 SAtk / 164 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Surf
- Waterfall
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage

Kingdra is my revenge killer. When switching it in while it's raining nothing can stop it. It OHKO's or at least 2HKO's almost everything. It sweeps through whole sand storm teams. Surf can OHKO Hippowdon/TTar/Mole. Either DM or Outrage OHKO's Garchomp or Ononokuso. I could create a whole list of Pokemons which are KOed by Kingdra. This is absolutely nescessary on this team.

?
@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Sooooo, this spot has caused me the most trouble. I've already had Jolteon/Zapdos and Latias on it, but neither of them has done a good job here at all. While Rotom-W does his job decently, I still feel like it's not the best solution. I need a fast, special sweepter on this spot which is abusing the 100% accuracy of Thunder in the rain.

@ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant ? Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn

Scizor is obviously my physical Sweeper. It does a fairly good job and deals with most of the foe's walls like Blissey/Nattorei/Umbreon/Cresselia to name just a few of them. I'm still owned by pokemons like starmie which kill me with boosted water stab moves. I don't know if I should rather run a jolly nature on it to outspeed more pokemon or to stay with an adamant one. Anyways, I think Scizor is nessescary on this team because nattorei mostly causes me the most trouble and scizor gets rid of it.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ya i cant see your 5th pokemon it just shows a dancing pichu hitting its butt.
Also your title says 6th gen *Facepalm*

anyway you might want to try a poison heal gliscor as their really effective (look for one in the 5th gen analysis section).

Also i dont know if i like the idea of a chesto politoed. You might want to try a scarf toed or more of a support role.

my goodness *facepalms*.. 6th gen olol.. changing it :D

well, chesto berry politoed does a great job in my opinion. I don't really want to use another set on it. I rather like it bulky. Furthermore it often gets statused and such. Therefor it's pretty good to run chesto rest on it.

I'll try out the poison heal gliscor.

Thanks!

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ya its your call on the politoed ive never used it so i wouldn't really know any better

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know what your scarfer is, but I think that since you're making the effort to use a pokemon with drizzle and taking advantage of rain, you should use another good rain pokemon besides for Just Kingdra.

I think basically any RD oriented Ludicolo will work.

Also if the accuracy isn't too much of a deal for you, as it isn't for me, I would consider Hydro pump over surf on kingdra.

Even though its 120Base power to 95, once you factor in Rain boost, STAB, etc, the damage output is considerably stronger, and hits so hard.

Just some things to consider.

What About a Mixnite instead of Rotom-W

Thunder | Gale | Surf / Roost | Extremespeed / Outrage?

It takes hits very well due to Multi Scale, is fast, hits hard, and can abuse Thunder. I'm in hurry so I don't have time to develop EVs and Natures, but you can extract them from the OU analysis. Also: Gale is illegal with Multiscale I gues..

First I think you should drop Forretress for Nattorei. It does pretty much the same thing except it can't spin which I don't see that important for your team. It also has amazing typing resisting both electric and grass attack which are common weaknesses on rain teams.

Politoed is fine but if you feel it doesn't do much you could try out a scarfed version which suprises and revenges a lot of metagame especially while it's raining.

I'm not sure about Gliscor but I think there are other checks to Sandstorm that works better under rain.

If you want a fast special sweeper abusing Thunder, I suggest Borutorosu(Voltlos) which is an amazing sweeper thanks to Nasty Plot, high speed and special attack. It also has decent coverage thanks to Focus Blast. You could try to abuse his "non attacking moves +1 priority" ability and put Substitute on him along with either Petaya or Salac Berry. I tried it before and it worked out very well as it's quite unexpected.

Scizor is cool but I don't see a point in U-Turn on SD Scizor, replace it with Bug Bite or Roost. You are not gonna be bluffing Band with LO anyway.

@Zeph;

You're right, Swift Swim Ludicolo with Giga Drain would be an alternative I guess.
I prefer Surf on Kingdra over Hydro Pump because of the accuracy.. Surf does the job perfectly I think. Takes out Hippowdon and TTar and other physical bulks.

@MajorGambit;

Multi Scale can't be used when you're running Superpower on it^^
I guess I'll try both, Ludicolo and Dragonite, though I'm having doubts on a mixed one because I'm already using the mixed kingdra!

Thanks for your suggestions!

@KnivesNPistols;

You're probably right. Additionally Forretress doesn't do that much damage besides of the hazards, so I'll give Nattorei a try.

Politoed is fine as it is. I like it like that :)

Give me some examples for the sandstorm checks please :D

As well as Ludicolo and Dragonite, I think I'll give Borutorosu a try as well as I already thought about that, too.

And finally about Scizor, I guess you're right. U-Turn didn't help me at all besides that and Bug Bite is boosted by Technican. I'll change it.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah but the extra power in Hydro pump could mean the difference between killing something and continuing your sweep or them surviving and Ko'ing you.
Then again an untimely miss could do the same, so its all preference!

Anyways an alternate Ludicolo could be SD, If you're interested in trying gimmicky things, since the opponent is usually forced to switch when a Rd sweeper comes out, picking up a quick SD as they go to something like blissey to wall your standard Ludicolo, You can then begin launching powerful STAB +2 Rain boosted Waterfalls.
I'd recommend giving it a try as an alternative.

I don't think SD Ludicolo would be a good alternative.
For blisseys I have Scizor, probably Gliscor and even Kingdra. Special Ludicolo would be better I guess.

I'm currently trying Nattorei + Boruterosu instead for Forretress + Rotom-W and I have to say, they're pretty damn good.
Nevertheless I'll give the others a try as well.

You know, you could actually use scarf Raichu. I dont think it learns trick, and I know it doesnt get hydropump, but it does get surf. If you are willing to drop the scarf you could run a light ball Pikachu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)