I GOT SAND IN MY BUSH! [PEAKED #1]

I GOT SAND IN MY BUSH!

Hi people my name is sugarhigh and I made this team from a suggestion from my good friend ben gay. With the coming of X and Y i might as well show this team to you guys. Basically the premise of this team was to create a team around Scarf Tyranitar with a bunch of hazard pokes/ semistall pokes. So yeah this was what occurred from it. This was one of two teams I used to obtain #1 but i loved this team far more and used it way more then the other team. Without further ado......

My rank:

I GOT SAND IN MY BUSH!

Grounded (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran is the perfect stealth rocker of this team. He's firstly here because of rocks but also so i don't get pooped on by sun teams. Air balloon is there to counter garchomp and to basically force it to either switch out to avoid getting ohkod by hidden power ice or staying in and to sacrifice itself to take out Heatran's balloon. Not only that Heatran provides offense pressure on annoyances such as Skarmory and Forretress. Finally the ev spread is self explanatory, timid to out speed adamant dragonite, which is such a boon for timidtran to achieve. Also Heatran checks the majority of the dragons in ou with balloon. Heatran is defensive utility and offense pressure wrapped in one. This pokemon by itself counters a majority of sun teams.

Razor (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Ah skarmory, what a great poke to have on any team. Skarmory is my main defensive wall but it also provides pressure in the form of hazards. Not only that skarmory phazes any threats that attempt to sweep my team through boosting. I use rocky helmet on skarmory to rack up more residual damage against opponents and to punish opponents from attacking skarmory. Furthermore rocky helmet is very useful to prevent hazards to be spun away if the opponent is less than 1/6th of their hp and attempts to spin, instead the opponent will die and no hazards will be spun. Therefore skarmory is essential on this time as it provides hazards, a wall, and phazing. It also walls two of the most annoying u-turners of this tier and punishes them for u-turning and they are Landorus-Therian and Scizor.

BUSH (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth, one of the main stars of this team. Not only does it provide protection against rotom-w even with its shitty spdef but it literally can take ridculously strong physical attacks like they were nothing. On top of this it can put stuff to sleep. Hidden power ice is basically there to take on dragons easier as dragons are very annoying in this metagame. Furthermore it's a great pair with skarmory as together they can take on most of the physical threats of this metagame. The evs of tangrowth are rather self explanatory as they provide the most defense for this pokemon. Not only this it has regenerator so it can easily take repeated hits and easily wear down pokes to a point where hazards can take them out. Therefore tangrowth is one of my favorite pokes and shows how well a poke can do out of its main tier.

*I completely forgot to mention that tangrowth is here to put less pressure on skarmory however if you feel the team is better off to have less pressure on jellicent instead by all means use amoonguss instead. I used amoonguss before I used tangrowth but I used tangrowth in the end because, I just felt that I needed less pressure off of Skarmory but whatever either amoonguss or tangrowth works so i give an honorable mention to one of my other favorite pokes amoonguss :).

I MUSTACHE U (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

In my opinion the greatest spinblocker of this generation. Not only that but it handles so many threats by itself its such a godsend to any team. This jelly of mine is mainly to wall one poke and that's pokes name is keldeo. This poke helps my team so much it burns threats through willo-o-wisp and scald, providing offensive pressure also through that and through shadowball to hit mainly gengar. Finally recover cause you know, mandatory stuff.... The EVs once again are self explanatory and the defense EVs are mainly to avoid the 2hko from starmie's psyshock. So jellicent should be kept for as long as possible if the opponent has a keldeo as jelly is such a nice poke against that. Finally jellicent is such a great poke with its utility and it spinblockiness, its an all around great poke for this team complementing heatran and skarmory. This pokemon by itself walls most rain teams which shows how good it is.

Don't drop me (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor, the greatest poke a semistall team can have. It provides not only a nice pivot and grants momentum through u-turn. It also has great priority in the form of bullet punch. Finally it can pursuit trap many threats including lati@s as scarftar doesn't always have the greatest bulk to combat these pokes efficiently, so scizor is nice backup. Scizor also provides me a win condition if enough hazards are stacked on the opponent's side as scizor can just bullet punch to victory. Also scizor can outpace alakazam with priority as my whole team does not outspeed alakazam. Scizor is an all around poke thats amazing and that deserves its high use on the ladder. Also if you want scizor can be set-up scizor if you don't like band scizor as much. It meshes well this team especially pairing well with heatran and jellicent. It also gives me a solid check to other tyranitars and the hail inducer abomasnow.

Broken. (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Finally the other main star of this team, scarf tyranitar. Not only does this poke provide without a doubt to me the most balanced and greatest weather out there, sand, it also provides so much more for the team. Firstly its easily a late game sweeper as most pokes that could outspeed are gone and the other pokes that are still alive are severly weakened by hazards. Not only that its so useful for this team, a team based around hazards, because it can kill off the only threatening spinner for this team, starmie. Starmie cannot spin against this team because even if it is able to kill jelly it will then proceed to spin as quickly as possible which means staying in again as I send in tyranitar, thinking it can outspeed tyranitar and getting ohkod by a crunch. The other spinners that do however beat tyranitar lose on jelly, which means hazards will 99% of the time will stay on the opponent's side of the field. Not only that tyranitar beats out nearly every dragon in ou if not scarfed with either stone edge or crunch as nearly every dragon in ou is flying/psychic. Finally tyranitar once again brings its own weather to the field countering any team that abuses its weather. One thing should be kept in mind that scarf tyranitar cannot outspeed alakazam and should stay away from this poke however it can kill an annoyance of this team which is gengar. It can also kill lati@s from wallbreaking my walls and runing my day. Therefore scarf tyranitar is a perfect scarfer for this team and completes the team as a whole.

I hope you guys enjoyed this rmt of my team, I really enjoyed laddering with this team and getting #1 was just the icing on the cake not to mention knocking off costa from his throne for a bit which now ben gay owns -3-. Finally i just wanted to make a rmt before the advent of x and y so three cheers for what new archetypes to come in hopefully a good meta ;3. I don't mind people stealing the team as long as they USE MY NICKNAMES CAUSE THEY'RE GOOD.... jk ;3.

Heres two random replays with the team:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49859325

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-50430536

IMPORTABLE:

Broken. (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Grounded (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Razor (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

BUSH (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I MUSTACHE U (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Don't drop me (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Attachments

Last edited:
Dis shit too strong. No weaknesses IMO except for maybe MixDreigon but that wrecks any stall team and CB Zor deals with it really well. Will this stilen team finally push me out of the 1700 slums?

Ok so I like this team, but not the tangrowth, I'm honestly not sure why it's there. You said it can take on mostly any physical attacker with Skarmory, but skarmory can take on most physical threats by itself. And for the one's it can't like Lucario, Tyranitar can revenge it, heatran can, and even jellicen's typing can help out. All in all I think you'd be better with roserade, amoonguss or something like celebi. But I like roserade and amoonguss better since it's not always good to run 2 keldeo checks which are pursuit trapped. Aaaaaaaaaanyways, the reason I think a specially defensive grass type would work better is because it can get by rotom-wash A LOT easier, because with will-o-wisp, sand damage , and volt switch damage, damage will indeed by racking up, like, A LOT. Not to mention having a grass/poison type will be immune to toxic spikes and make em dissapear. But yeah having a specially defensive grass type will help take off some stress from Jellicent being possibly your only offensive rain counter. You could also try a landorus-t in place of skarmory which will check terrak a lot better, and most physical attackers like skarmory. I think it would be a good fit because it provides you with a ground type, which will make your opponent think twice before going all volt switch crazy. If you do decide to use landorus over skarm try out spikes roserade to kinda have that extra hazard damage. Hope I helped!

So yeah, pretty good team, been rockin' it on the ladder under Facepalm (OU) but IMO has a weakness to specs zone. Every member is 2HKO'ed by it so i support Trevorplke42's suggestion of a Spdef Grass over Tangrowth. Amoongus or Celebi would work best i think.

I'd prefer over Amoonguss > Celebi for Spore and Regenerator. It has much nicer HP and fits nicely as it counters Keldeo as much as Celebi does. It can also take on Bug-types that trouble it, a lot better than Celebi can. Here is the set:

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is my favorite Amoonguss set by far. Spore cripples any switch in and will keep it contained. Giga Drain makes up for Sand damage, as well as with Regenerator. Clear Smog helps your team against Set-Up sweepers, specifically Swords Dance Garchomp with Earthquake / Outrage / Fire Fang as its coverage moves, will shred your team apart if it you give it a chance to set up. Just have to use Clear Smog to ruin it's day and keep your team healthy. Not saying it counters your team completely, but it still can do a great deal to your team. Hidden Power Fire is just to kill off any Bug-Types like Scizor, which your team does fine with, but Amoonguss doesn't really have many other moves to be honest. This set really would glue your team together, by countering Magnezone as mentioned above. However, if you decide on Celebi, here is the set you should use:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-Turn
- Heal Bell

Celebi gets the job done, but I still prefer Amoonguss. It makes a nice little U-Turn core with Scizor and does a nice job with your team. The sole reason you could use Celebi is for Heal Bell in my opinion. It really neuters your team is something gets Burned and Celebi can reverse this. Giga Drain negates sandstorm damage and does a nice chunk to Gastrodon (who wouldn't stay in anyways), who walls this team well if Tangrowth is gone. Recover is just a nice move it has over Amoonguss and will keep it healthy throughout the match. Again though, Amoonguss is better in my opinion.
Overall, this team gets a solid 9/10 in my opinion. Congratulations on getting up to #1! Very tough and you should be proud of yourself :) Had fun reading this, hope you like my suggestions!

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, congrats on peaking #1 with this team. So, obviously this is a successful team, however, I feel maybe you're weak to a few key threats.

Rotom-W, like others have pointed out I feel could really trouble your team. It's not just Rotom-W really, it's rain teams in general, as you have a huge reliance on Jellicent to take every special hit. Once Jellicent is down or weakened, Keldeo, Politoed, and Starmie can run through this team. Starmie is Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar, but the other two are going to cause you serious trouble. Thundurus-T can also give you a lot of pain depending if what set it is. The Agility set with Focus Blast out right 6-0s you once Tangrowth is slightly weakened, while the Double Dance set can cause you a lot of trouble once Tyranitar is weakened. All of these threats lead back to Tangrowth, as "the bulky Grass type" is supposed to take on these kinda Pokemon. Magnezone can trap both Scizor and Skamory, while it can also hit Jellicent and Tyranitar hard with it's STAB attacks. Sun teams can also really do a number on your team. I understand that you have Heatran, but good Sun teams are always prepared for Heatran, as it's their biggest enemy. Volcarona and Venusaur can potentially run though your team if you're not careful with Venusaur.

So, here are my suggestions.

1) Replace Tangrowth with Celebi. Celebi counters Rotom-W easily, as well as takes a lot of pressure off of Jellicent to switch into Water type attacks. With the combination of Jellicent and SpDef Celebi, Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Politoed won't get past you. Celebi is also a really good check to Thundurus-T, as the best Thundurus-T can do is hit you with a weak HP Ice or the very un-common U-turn

2) Replace Scizor with Scarf Garchomp. Scarf Garchomp acts as a secondary check to Thundurus-T, as well as giving you a much easier time when facing Sun teams. Garchomp revenge kills Volcarona, and Venusaur can't get past it unless it carries HP Ice. Garchomp also makes you much less weaker to Magnezone.

Here are the sets.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Well, there's my rate. Congrats on the cool team man, and I hope my suggestions helped you.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ShootinStarmie , I have one question: Why Celebi over Amoonguss? I would just like to know why you feel that Celebi is better than Amoonguss? And also, I agree with you on the Garchomp change.
Eh, Amoonguss could work too I guess, I just have more experience with Celebi, and I know it works well. I'm not saying Celebi is any better or worse, all I know is that Celebi will help improve his team.

The advantages Celebi has over Ammonguss are Natural Cure, Recover, nice Speed, and Baton Pass. Ammonguss has Spore, Regenerator, and can absorb Toxic Spikes, so it's whatever suits your team better I guess.

Eh, Amoonguss could work too I guess, I just have more experience with Celebi, and I know it works well. I'm not saying Celebi is any better or worse, all I know is that Celebi will help improve his team.

The advantages Celebi has over Ammonguss are Natural Cure, Recover, nice Speed, and Baton Pass. Ammonguss has Spore, Regenerator, and can absorb Toxic Spikes, so it's whatever suits your team better I guess.
Ahh, I see. I just have used Amoonguss a lot more so I prefer it. Also, I would like to mention that Amoonguss can stop set-up sweepers with Clear Smog as well.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Ahh, I see. I just have used Amoonguss a lot more so I prefer it. Also, I would like to mention that Amoonguss can stop set-up sweepers with Clear Smog as well.
As well as Celebi can with Perish Song. Anyway, it's up to Sugarhigh about what Pokemon to use, as it's his team.

Man you guys hate tangrowth xD.

Ok time to answer some of the comments:

Trevorpoke42:

GDI I knew i was forgetting something in my rmt. I forgot to mention my brief use of amoonguss instead of tangrowth ;-;. So basically i decided the team could go one of two ways to basically counter all physical threats or to counter nearly every heavy special hitter. For a while i used amoonguss and i really liked it however i also used tangrowth also during this time and I just felt that i was facing more physical threats so i decided to ease off the pressure on skarm and use a tangrowth. So yeah amoonguss is a great fit on the team its basically to me just a matter of opinion if u want the team more specially defensive or defensive. If u want to completely sure fire way of counter keldeo and such i would go with keldeo and if i want a sure fire way to counter terrakion and bandtar i went with tangrowth. Either way amoonguss is also a great fit on the team and thanks for the rate.... now to go add part of that to the rmt lol. I also just used tangrowth because it does give me a ground resist and during the time I used this team amoonguss always seemed to lose out on the physical side either way it's a terrific poke if you wanted this team to be specially defensive :D.

Chesnaught

K so basically what i said with trevorpoke42 amoonguss is also a great poke for this team, I'll go try it out again and see if my opinions change on the poke. Overall amoonguss is bascially like I said if you want to put less pressure off of jellicent instead of skarmory. So yeah I do like the poke however hp ice is alot better then hp fire so if I was to use amoonguss i would probably go with hp ice. Furthermore I don't think celebi is as good as amoonguss or tangrowth for this team just because its pursuit weak however having a heal beller is always nice and i might go try this out :).

ShootinStarmie

OMG you actually looked at my team :> but anyways like i said with the above statements i would choose amoonguss over celebi just for the sole reason of being able to check more stuff and I did like it for the time that I used it on the team. Furthermore you do have probably one of my more favorite celebi sets as the one your showing so i miight try it out xD. Finally for the scarfchomp is that it makes me lose out on my priority user. For semistall i feel that priority is sometimes mandatory so i would dislike taking it out however as you guys seem to think scarfchomp could work so I'll go try it out :). Also scizor lets me beat out the annoying ice dragon that is kyurem-b thats behind a sub so its not the biggest annoyance and also it beats out normal kyurem and finally abomanasnow. Furthermore scizor beats out mamoswine which can become a giant pain to the team if enough flinches occur -.- (super bad experience with icicle crash ;-;).

Finally all three of you guys said i was mega weak to rain and sun though I never found either as a giant issue. I actually enjoyed facing those team archetypes as I knew how to play around most pokes and was very predictable. As for specs magnezone, yeah thats the team's biggest weakness so I might go try out garchomp but i'll miss scizor quite a bit. Also sun and rain to be honest aren't very hard to play around you may think they may be hard but t-tar and jellicent together makes those teams work very hard to start to even to begin breaking down the core also heatran really does help against sun very efficiently. Finally what i found the most difficult to face was actually weatherless hyper offense believe it or not. Its probably because of the large variety of wall breakers these teams tend to carry be it special or physical. Therefore thank you for all your suggestions and let me go and write that amoonguss can be used if you want to have less pressure on jellicent and have a more specially defensive team as a whole. Its basically you lose out on threats on one side so its always a challenge to pick between which kind of buffer you need. Overall thank you for your comments. :).

I've decided that I'm going to keep scizor and not use scarfchomp because scarfchomp's really only niche is protecting against magnezone and doesn't seem to help the team at all as through testing didn't work to well :C and scizor having priority is rather nice on this team

IMO there is only one poke that takes this whole team out, which happens to be Scarfchomp. It easily can take all of your pokes after they've all been weakened and Tangrowth is taken out. Other than that though, this team is so good, and has a really solid playing style if you can switch out at the right times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)