National Dex How to be a Human Being - Melmetal Wish Pass Balance (300+ Posts)

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Introduction

:ss/melmetal: :ss/clefable: :ss/kyurem: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/rotom-wash: :ss/lopunny-mega:

Hello losers! While I didn't do this RMT at exactly 300 posts, I wanted to do this at SOME point, so here it is. I've been playing National Dex OU for about two years now, having became a lot more versed in the tier over the past year. I've built and stolen multiple teams, and this one has GOT to be one of my favorites. While I don't play many people in the National Dex OU room, and I've done pretty lackluster in tours / haven't shown any performances worth noting, I think that when I do play, this is one of the teams I am most comfortable with. Balance is one of, if not my favorite archetypes OAT. I like playing knowing that I have a solid defensive core in the back, and I often like playing with pivots as well, which made for an interesting balance here. I'll go ahead and cut to the chase:

The Building Process

:melmetal: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

And every time I take a step / We're moving forwards faster

S2 E3 (Melmetal) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

AV Melmetal is one of the fattest and best trading machines in the tier. Incredible bulk and super solid coverage that lets it beat out and trade vs threats like Heatran and Landorus-T. I think its really good at enabling a ton of threats that require support / their answers removed forcefully; examples of this would be AV Melmetal + Volcarona, with Melmetal wearing down Heatran significantly for a Volcarona endgame. With this in mind, I decided to pair Melmetal with the following two below.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

I wish you could see the wicked truth / Caught up in a rush, it's killing you

PARADISE (Clefable) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is one of the most incredible utility Pokemon we have, with a movepool that stretches across the entire damn rainbow and an amazing typing, obviously. For this team, I opted for a Tricky Barb (Sticky Barb + Trick) + Wish set. Wish was an important part of this team, giving Melmetal a lot more longevity in the long run, as well as assisting other members of this team. Trick cripples Heatran and Ferrothorn, which makes them even worse as switchins to Melmetal. I think that Trick is probably okay to replace, but it's been showing solid results for me so far.

Wake me when the bell rings / I'm gonna sleep 'cause you live in my day dreams

TAKE A SLICE (Kyurem) @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Kyurem is an incredibly devastating wallbreaker that has potential to beat all its checks bar the obvious Chansey and AV Melmetal, though the latter can be worn down through predictions and such. Here I think it was solid for how well it benefits from the removal of Pokemon like Weavile and Tapu Lele. I went for NMI + HP Fire here since I already have a Z-Move user on this team, and HP Fire allows Kyurem to bait and remove Mega Scizor for Melmetal, which is pretty cool since Clefable can't cripple it.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

Sonic ray gun / Gonna be a superstar

LIFE ITSELF (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 220 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Landorus-T. This set is like, incredibly odd so I'm just gonna jump straight to the point and say that this team has a really bad Volcarona matchup, so I opted for SpD Leftovers Rock Slide Landorus-T instead of standard Def Rocky Helmet. Rest is standard really; provides entry hazards which are pretty much never a bad thing, pivoting, emergency check to Heatran if need be, all that stuff. It's usually pivoting out on Pokemon like Gliscor, opposing Landorus-T, and bulky Waters, which Kyurem practically feeds on. Generally just solid role compression that's never bad to have on a team, really. I think you could make opt for Gliscor instead but any Rock-type move is generally a weaker option on it and fitting that can be awkward.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :poke-ball:

I want you to be happy / Free to run, get dizzy on caffeine

YOUTH (Rotom-Wash) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is a really, really good pivot right now. I think it's generally one of the more solid ones, as it is still offensively threatening especially with Waterium Z. I opted for that since it let me deal with Mega Scizor a lot better, forcing out more offensive variants with ease. This checks Heatran, the aforementioned Scizor, opposing Melmetal, and can pivot in on Flyinium Z Zapdos, with the latter being an incredibly valuable trait on any team with how difficult it can be to find proper switch-ins to it. Defog is greatly appreciated by Kyurem, who can be awkward to fit on teams for this reason, as along with its somewhat awkward Speed tier, its Stealth Rock weakness forces it to Roost more often than it would like to. Rotom is also pivoting out on Pokemon like Ferrothorn, AV Tapu Lele, and Chansey, which other team members take advantage of really well.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :lopunny-mega:

They'll never let me be / Was that your voice or was that me?

MAMA'S GUN (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Frustration
- Fake Out

And FINALLY, we have Mega Lopunny. Team's speed control, another pivot that forms an incredibly potent VoltTurn core with Rotom-W, and appreciates how well its checks are pressured by the rest of the team as well. Since the team wasn't the slowest thing ever I decided to forgo a Choice Scarf user. I think this team can hold its own vs faster / boosting threats like Choice Scarf Tapu Lele and DD Mega Gyarados. This Pokemon is one of the best megas we have at our disposal, being really solid offensively with "checks" like Landorus-T and Toxapex being incredibly shaky vs it, especially with, again, how well these Pokemon are pressured here.

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I think the music they create is truly wonderful even if I don't connect at a personal level. They just have the most spirit-invoking shit out there, go check them out please I promise it's worth your time. :heart:

Final Team

Probably gonna keep this section a little brief because 1. I'm like really tired rn.. and 2. I don't think I'm super well known anyways, but for those that know me, here ya go.

pokemonisfun Totomon Corperate n sanguine haxlolo KM Jade Magnum Luirromen romanji Aqua Jet (lol) Slip and like probably a LOT more I didn't mention here, I'm so fuckin glad I met you guys and it has truly been a blast UUing with you all. All the support you've given me for the little amount of time I've spent on this site is truly awesome, keep being the best :heart:

Solaros & Lunaris R8 Typhlosion4 georgebowserjr1 sealoo MurderousMantyke diegoblu Phyn NatDex was something I had dabbled in for a little but never got super involved. I'm so glad I stuck around to be a part of this awesome community, and here's to another FLOP generation.

glimmerrdust Shandeur UT Zerkas Ducky and other smogcord buddies, love interacting with you guys and again, keep being based.

probably a flop rmt but like who cares i love you all sm​

Last edited:
I don’t even play natdex ou, but that definitely didn’t stop me from reading/enjoying this amazing RMT congrats on 300+ posts and heres to many more!

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey, sick team! I do play NatDex, and this team is the best balance team I’ve seen yet. It also helped me build (anything except HO/Offense turns out half-baked).

Introduction

:ss/melmetal: :ss/clefable: :ss/kyurem: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/rotom-wash: :ss/lopunny-mega:

Hello losers! While I didn't do this RMT at exactly 300 posts, I wanted to do this at SOME point, so here it is. I've been playing National Dex OU for about two years now, having became a lot more versed in the tier over the past year. I've built and stolen multiple teams, and this one has GOT to be one of my favorites. While I don't play many people in the National Dex OU room, and I've done pretty lackluster in tours / haven't shown any performances worth noting, I think that when I do play, this is one of the teams I am most comfortable with. Balance is one of, if not my favorite archetypes OAT. I like playing knowing that I have a solid defensive core in the back, and I often like playing with pivots as well, which made for an interesting balance here. I'll go ahead and cut to the chase:

The Building Process

:melmetal: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

And every time I take a step / We're moving forwards faster

S2 E3 (Melmetal) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

AV Melmetal is one of the fattest and best trading machines in the tier. Incredible bulk and super solid coverage that lets it beat out and trade vs threats like Heatran and Landorus-T. I think its really good at enabling a ton of threats that require support / their answers removed forcefully; examples of this would be AV Melmetal + Volcarona, with Melmetal wearing down Heatran significantly for a Volcarona endgame. With this in mind, I decided to pair Melmetal with the following two below.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

I wish you could see the wicked truth / Caught up in a rush, it's killing you

PARADISE (Clefable) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is one of the most incredible utility Pokemon we have, with a movepool that stretches across the entire damn rainbow and an amazing typing, obviously. For this team, I opted for a Tricky Barb (Sticky Barb + Trick) + Wish set. Wish was an important part of this team, giving Melmetal a lot more longevity in the long run, as well as assisting other members of this team. Trick cripples Heatran and Ferrothorn, which makes them even worse as switchins to Melmetal. I think that Trick is probably okay to replace, but it's been showing solid results for me so far.

Wake me when the bell rings / I'm gonna sleep 'cause you live in my day dreams

TAKE A SLICE (Kyurem) @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Kyurem is an incredibly devastating wallbreaker that has potential to beat all its checks bar the obvious Chansey and AV Melmetal, though the latter can be worn down through predictions and such. Here I think it was solid for how well it benefits from the removal of Pokemon like Weavile and Tapu Lele. I went for NMI + HP Fire here since I already have a Z-Move user on this team, and HP Fire allows Kyurem to bait and remove Mega Scizor for Melmetal, which is pretty cool since Clefable can't cripple it.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

Sonic ray gun / Gonna be a superstar

LIFE ITSELF (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 220 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Landorus-T. This set is like, incredibly odd so I'm just gonna jump straight to the point and say that this team has a really bad Volcarona matchup, so I opted for SpD Leftovers Rock Slide Landorus-T instead of standard Def Rocky Helmet. Rest is standard really; provides entry hazards which are pretty much never a bad thing, pivoting, emergency check to Heatran if need be, all that stuff. It's usually pivoting out on Pokemon like Gliscor, opposing Landorus-T, and bulky Waters, which Kyurem practically feeds on. Generally just solid role compression that's never bad to have on a team, really. I think you could make opt for Gliscor instead but any Rock-type move is generally a weaker option on it and fitting that can be awkward.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :poke-ball:

I want you to be happy / Free to run, get dizzy on caffeine

YOUTH (Rotom-Wash) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is a really, really good pivot right now. I think it's generally one of the more solid ones, as it is still offensively threatening especially with Waterium Z. I opted for that since it let me deal with Mega Scizor a lot better, forcing out more offensive variants with ease. This checks Heatran, the aforementioned Scizor, opposing Melmetal, and can pivot in on Flyinium Z Zapdos, with the latter being an incredibly valuable trait on any team with how difficult it can be to find proper switch-ins to it. Defog is greatly appreciated by Kyurem, who can be awkward to fit on teams for this reason, as along with its somewhat awkward Speed tier, its Stealth Rock weakness forces it to Roost more often than it would like to. Rotom is also pivoting out on Pokemon like Ferrothorn, AV Tapu Lele, and Chansey, which other team members take advantage of really well.

:melmetal: :clefable: :kyurem: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :lopunny-mega:

They'll never let me be / Was that your voice or was that me?

MAMA'S GUN (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Frustration
- Fake Out

And FINALLY, we have Mega Lopunny. Team's speed control, another pivot that forms an incredibly potent VoltTurn core with Rotom-W, and appreciates how well its checks are pressured by the rest of the team as well. Since the team wasn't the slowest thing ever I decided to forgo a Choice Scarf user. I think this team can hold its own vs faster / boosting threats like Choice Scarf Tapu Lele and DD Mega Gyarados. This Pokemon is one of the best megas we have at our disposal, being really solid offensively with "checks" like Landorus-T and Toxapex being incredibly shaky vs it, especially with, again, how well these Pokemon are pressured here.

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I think the music they create is truly wonderful even if I don't connect at a personal level. They just have the most spirit-invoking shit out there, go check them out please I promise it's worth your time. :heart:

Final Team

Probably gonna keep this section a little brief because 1. I'm like really tired rn.. and 2. I don't think I'm super well known anyways, but for those that know me, here ya go.

pokemonisfun Totomon Corperate n sanguine haxlolo KM Jade Magnum Luirromen romanji Aqua Jet (lol) Slip and like probably a LOT more I didn't mention here, I'm so fuckin glad I met you guys and it has truly been a blast UUing with you all. All the support you've given me for the little amount of time I've spent on this site is truly awesome, keep being the best :heart:

Solaros & Lunaris R8 Typhlosion4 georgebowserjr1 sealoo MurderousMantyke diegoblu Phyn NatDex was something I had dabbled in for a little but never got super involved. I'm so glad I stuck around to be a part of this awesome community, and here's to another FLOP generation.

glimmerrdust Shandeur UT Zerkas Ducky and other smogcord buddies, love interacting with you guys and again, keep being based.

probably a flop rmt but like who cares i love you all sm​
Slice

i've been wondering lately why more teams dont wish pass to AV melm, especially in gen 8 ou. very cool team and rmt!

Yo cool team, I've never played nat dex before so I went here to find a random team to use and decided to use yours but I'm curious how you deal with mega scizor because that thing just 6-0s me every time

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Yo cool team, I've never played nat dex before so I went here to find a random team to use and decided to use yours but I'm curious how you deal with mega scizor because that thing just 6-0s me every time
I've made a change and decided to go Will-O-Wisp > Pain Split on Rotom-W, thanks for bringing that up because I forgot to mention that in the OP.

I've made a change and decided to go Will-O-Wisp > Pain Split on Rotom-W, thanks for bringing that up because I forgot to mention that in the OP.
How about cm slowbro mega? A lucky freeze dry freeze saved me, otherwise I wouldve gotten 6-0ed by that

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
How about cm slowbro mega? A lucky freeze dry freeze saved me, otherwise I wouldve gotten 6-0ed by that
Well, Mega Slowbro really isn't the most common thing in the world anyways. But, I imagine counterplay would be limited to fishing for a freeze from Freeze Dry since nothing else here can significantly damage it (outside of Rotom-W but you're forced to switch out by clicking Volt Switch obviously).

What do you think about replacing fakeout on m lop with healing wish/pop? The only time I remember me clicking that move is when I wanna break the sash from a sui lead
I was also thinking hdb kyurem could fix the rocks weakness too and maybe you dont need to run defog anymore idk
Also zard x and grassium z tran?

Last edited:

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
What do you think about replacing fakeout on m lop with healing wish/pop? The only time I remember me clicking that move is when I wanna the sash from a sui lead
I was also hdb kyurem could fix the rocks weakness too and maybe you dont need to run defog anymore idk
Also zard x and grassium z tran?
Fake Out isn't exclusively used for suicide leads, it's plenty helpful for scouting held items such as Rocky Helmet, Leftovers, etc. and chipping down opponents who lack recovery. Considering other entry hazards like Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web exist, giving Kyurem immunity to them won't really justify having no hazard removal at all.

Fake Out isn't exclusively used for suicide leads, it's plenty helpful for scouting held items such as Rocky Helmet, Leftovers, etc. and chipping down opponents who lack recovery. Considering other entry hazards like Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web exist, giving Kyurem immunity to them won't really justify having no hazard removal at all.
Yeah it's just that switching exists so I don't really use fake out very often. I think facade could also be a good option because of all the volcs and zaps that can come in and cripple m lop w status
And some other options i was thinking:
How about icium z kyurem + lefties washtom?
Stone edge over rock slide on lando?
protect over soft boiled on clef?

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
Yeah it's just that switching exists so I don't really use fake out very often. I think facade could also be a good option because of all the volcs and zaps that can come in and cripple m lop w status
And some other options i was thinking:
How about icium z kyurem + lefties washtom?
Stone edge over rock slide on lando?
protect over soft boiled on clef?
Sacrificing immediate recovery is VERY bad on Clefable; the longevity is needed greatly and passivity is something that I don't want here. As for Icium Z Kyurem + Lefties Rotom-W, that doesn't sound bad, so you could experiment with that on your own. Stone Edge wasn't used here because I needed the consistency of Rock Slide in order to reliably check Volcarona, and I'm not really using any other move over Fake Out on Mega Lopunny since that move allows me to better deal with Pokemon like Ash-Greninja locked into Water Shuriken, Victini, and KO opposing offensive threats like Mega Charizard Y and Tapu Koko after prior chip + Fake Out into Return. Facade just doesn't work because you're still losing out on power with all your other moves if burnt and Mega Lopunny is too slow to take advantage of Facade if paralyzed.

Sacrificing immediate recovery is VERY bad on Clefable; the longevity is needed greatly and passivity is something that I don't want here. As for Icium Z Kyurem + Lefties Rotom-W, that doesn't sound bad, so you could experiment with that on your own. Stone Edge wasn't used here because I needed the consistency of Rock Slide in order to reliably check Volcarona, and I'm not really using any other move over Fake Out on Mega Lopunny since that move allows me to better deal with Pokemon like Ash-Greninja locked into Water Shuriken, Victini, and KO opposing offensive threats like Mega Charizard Y and Tapu Koko after prior chip + Fake Out into Return. Facade just doesn't work because you're still losing out on power with all your other moves if burnt and Mega Lopunny is too slow to take advantage of Facade if paralyzed.
Isn't wish + protect pretty much just a soft boiled

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)