How it all pans out

This is a moderatally successful team I made around Dragonite to take advantage of it's new ability Multi Scale. It's my team in a Warstory I made not to long ago and overall I have fun with it.​

Team Building​
Dragonite: Things first start with the beast himself. Dragonite has gotten many new toys to play with this gen that make it an absolute monster when played correctly. I've decided to play with a bulky set.​

Ok the most major problem Multi Scale Dragonite has is that damn weakness to stealth rock. I have a few options. #1 a spinner to take care of Stealth Rock when it comes in or #2 To eliminate the problem before it can come in.​

Espeon: Espeon is not only my 3rd-4th most favorite pokemon but has come with it's own toy in Magic Mirror which will prevent stealth rock from coming up. I use a bulky set for this to take attacks from it's counters and switch out.

Ok looking good so far. However, I still have a major problem in Steel types coming in to ruin my fun. What I need now is a steel traper. Magnezone is ok but in the end it just doesnt fit the bill to me. No I need something special something to really take em out.​

Shandera: Oh the shadow tag monster that everyone wants banned. It's absolutely perfect to take stuff out. It's not just limited to Steels either. This puppy will take out all my problems with that (What some people believe to be) broken ability.

Ok this is looking really good. However, my most major problem is that there are brand new dragons this gen and old ones that have come back to ou to play once more. Very troublesome indeed. No I need a steel type. Something I can really use.​

Nattorei: Oh your a cool looking steel type with an awesome ability to break Outrages and pretty much any Psysical Attack. But that's not all. No, you also set up entry hazards and have much better typing than your counterpart. (Though you lack rapid spin)​

This is fun and all but it's not complete. Something to really tie it all together without strangling the team. Something to take Status and dish some damage out. Something like....... hrm.​

Roobushin: Holy shit look at those things in your hand. I wanna see you break those. BREAK EM NOW!!! *Breaks stones* ABSOFUCKINGAWESOME!!!! Anyway, Roobushin is the new *Broken* monster that has, for all intensive purposes, replaced Machamp. I use the bulk up set and put guts on it to help against Status if Espeon cant handle it for some reason.​

Ok now I'm at that point. That point I hate with a passion. THE LEAD! The lead is always the thing that can really make or break a battle and I always screw it up. Up till 5th gen and through the beginning of my 5th gen journeys, Azelf has been a personal favorite of mine as a lead. But then I spoted something. Something new. An Old blob that just got a really Fucking broken ability. The jack of all trades itself.​

Ditto: OMG the blue (Shiny) blob that I luv to see in the beginning of a match. Ditto is (What I believe to be) the best anti lead ever. It can transform into whatever lead my opponents using, scout it's moves and let me switch to the appropriate counter. Those that it cant change into, (I.E Zoroark) are easy to spot, as a lead vs ditto, and so it's pretty much the same situation without ditto being transformed. This blob is a true beast of a lead.​

As stated by multiple people, Shandera is the weak point of my team and suggested I change it. They even gave me some good options too. Originally that spot was going to be heatran's position but it wasn't offering any results. So then what?​

Vaporeon: Yep Vaporeon. I originally thought of it as a fire resist and a bulky water but then I thought "Hey Phaze things."​

So now you know the buildup of my team. Let's go through the pokemon now and check out their movesets.​

Ditto (AkA Blobby) @Choice Scarf
Nature: Hasty
Ablity: Eccentric
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Spd
Attacks:
~Transform (lol)
Info: The set up here is so obvious even a newb can get it. Lead, transform and switch to the appropriate Counter. Sometimes you don't have to switch out. Depending on what your facing you can take it on and take it out. You can bring it in later and it'll do the exact same job as the first time it came in.​

Dragonite (AkA Sol) @Lum Berry
Nature: Impish
Ability: Multi Scale
Evs: 248 HP, 100 Sp. Def, 160 Spd
Attacks:
~ Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Roost
~ Dragon Dancee
Info: Anyone who's ever been to my Dragonite thread in Uncharted Territory knows how I feel about this set. Still here's the picture. Dragonite Has gotten a brand new toy this gen in Multi Scale. Combine Multi Scale with roost and you have a Pokes that, for the life of everything around it, will not FUCKING DIE! However this is all based on weather or not your 100% and how your team Plays around you. Apart From Multi Scale this is a standard BulkyDD set to make itself distinct from it's Dragon Cousins. Dragon Claw for stab. Dragon Dance to set up. Earthquake for coverage. I'm actually thinking about replacing this with Extremespeed to better take out opponents but I dont wanna put any extra pressure on my team. Does anyone have any opinion on how this might be able to change my team for the better?

Nattorei @Shed Shell
Nature: Sassy
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def
Attacks:
~ Gyro Ball
~ Thunder Wave​

~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
Info: My steel type for this team. Nattorei does its job with a smile and a fair payroll. The set up is simple. Come in on a resisted attack or a set up sweeper (Only to be taken out by ditto hehehe) and proceed to set up your hazards. There's no real science around it. Gyro Ball and Payback are a truely epic combo on something so slow. Shed Shell is an obvious choice for those that fear Steel killers and Shadow Tags.

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
Evs: 252 HP, 204 Def, 52 spd
Attacks:​

~ Boiling Water
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Roar
Info: I've actually used this set before when making a team and even used this set (With surf) back in 4th gen. I really like this set. What it all comes down to is team work. Vaporeon has great Synergy with the rest of my team but the greatest being with Nattorei who not only resist each others weakness' but compliment each other's moves. The set up here is simple. Boiling Water is for the stab and for the burn. Wish is for the team and protect is to heal itself with wish. Roar is to phaze and use Nattorei's entry set up to it's fullest.​

Roobushin (AkA Breaker) @Flame Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Guts
Evs: 68 HP, 192 Atk, 244 Sp. Def
Attacks:
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Payback
~ Bulk Up
Info: The beast of 5th gen has come to yet another team. On this team it's used as a stats absorber and a secondary Set up sweeper. It's got brutal attack power which is only strengthened by Guts. I use the Life Orb Drain Punch combo to negate Life Orbs Power. Mach Punch is the entire reason I dont run speed evs on this thing as it's powerful and has priority. Payback is for the obvious Ghost Types that'll come in and try to ruin my fun. Bulk Up is for the set up. On that note I feel as though Bulk up isn't pulling it's weight and I think I should replace it. If anybody agrees what do you think I should replace it with?

Espeon (AkA Luna) @Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magic Mirror
Evs: 248 HP, 64 Def, 196 Spd
Attacks:
~ Psychic
~ Hidden Power (Fire)​

~ Reflect
~ Baton Pass
Info: I personally believe Espeon should've gotten Magic Guard but this is really fine too. Magic Mirror makes me wanna use this baby. If my opponent uses something like stealth rock or Spikes Magic Mirror will reflect it back. Essentially, it's magic guard as an ability. This set was made to stop Espeon from getting killed by it's counters. Specifically T-tar, and Scizor. By a simple reflect their attacks become childs play to espeon, allowing it to switch out with baton pass to the appropriate counter or, in Scizor's case, Fight back with a powerful Hidden Power to the face.​

Former Members:​

Shandera @Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Shadow Tag
Evs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
Attacks:
~ Fire Blast
~ Shadow Ball
~ Psychic
~ Energy Ball​

Info: The broken pokes. (According to some people) Weather or not it's broken isnt the point. Shadow Tag Shandera is a fucking beast. It does the job of Magnezone plus every other pokes out there. Bring it in against a weakened foe or something you dont want and proceed to rape it with your monstrous Sp. Atk. Psychic is for the Fighting types with the obvious payback. Energy Ball is actually wierd. I actually wanna replace it with soemthing else. If someone has an opinion of what I can use that'd be great.

That's my team in its core. A dragonite team. Go figure. Set to take advantage of new Dream World abilities like Eccentric and Shadow tag this Set doesnt see any action beyond Dream World ou. Comment, change, use. idc. Just use constructive Critisism.​

Magic Guard is already an ability, in regards to your spiel on Espeon! Magic Mirror doesn't avoid entry hazards when switched in, evade staus damage etc., but reflecting is different to nullifying. Magic Guard =/= Magic Mirror. Cool team though! I have seen stacks of MultiScale Dragonite teams and they can bring you back from the dead! I think your Shanderaa is unique, but Calm Mind is a prime replacement, really using that Shadow Tag in the situation of Choice-locked Normal or Fighting moves due to your infinite set-up ability and then the subsequent 100% kill that follows unless the enemy Struggles beforehand. (Unlikely.) Have fun with the team, it seems really awesome!

.... Magic Mirror reflects Entry hazards like Stealth Rock, Status Damage like Will-o-wisp, Phasing attacks like Roar, and actually I think anything aimed at espeon under the others attack option can be reflected by magic mirror. (I.E not things like Dragon Dance which are aimed at yourself.)

I can only think of a time that I can set up Calm Minds when something is choice locked and even then it's both uncommon and useless if they have a counter set for Shandera. I'm better off outright killing something.

If you really don't like using Shandera as your revenge killer, you should probably switch Ditto from the lead, as Ditto functions far better as a Revenge Killer than a lead. Ditto isn't really setting up much as a lead.

I actually luv Shandera as a revenge killer. It's energy ball that I don't like.

Ditto does more for my team as a lead than it can ever do somewhere else. Ditto can scout my opponent's leads moveset and allow me to switch to the appropriate counter. It lets me keep Espeon in the back for surprise switches when my opponents try to set up. Those two combined make Ditto (What I believe to be) the ultimate Anti Lead.

All right, here are my 2 cents on this. This is a nice RMT, though the descriptions could be a bit more informative. I suggest that you remove either Gyro Ball or Payback on Nattorei, and replace it with Leech Seed, since that will help it stick around for longer and get all its hazards down. Two attacks are not necessary on Nattorei.

Two, Baton Pass is useless on Espeon, at least with its current movepool, since you are not BP'ing any boosts. Or at least replace a move with a boosting move like Calm Mind, to get the maximum benefit out of Baton Pass, since otherwise it is a waste of a move slot on Espeon.

I also suggest that you slightly tweak Roobushin's EV spread. Call me crazy, but a 252 HP 252 Spl Def 4 Atk set with an Adamant nature actually works great with BulkUp Roob. With this EV Spread, he never gets OHKO'd by Timid Scarf Shandera's Overheat, which is just an example. I would also go with Flame Orb instead of Life Orb, since you have roughly the same damage output(slightly more I think), and also protects you from other status. Leftovers is another viable option.

If you want, you can try a ScarfGenosect, instead of Shandera, with U-Turn/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/ Explosion or Flamethower. He also functions as an excellent scout, has a much higher speed, and a base 125 Spl Atk to boot. Shandera is hindered by its average speed (base 80), and is outsped by faster Scarf users as well.

-Calm Pokemaster

First off, in regards to Pokemaster's comments, Nattorei can not learn Spikes, Stealth Rock AND Leech Seed. It's a matter of breeding. I agree Payback won't be going you much good though. I say put in Thunder Wave instead. Help your Dragonite outspeed things initially.

Second, BP is used as an exit strategy from Pursuit, since it doesn't hit you, so no it isn't useless. Calm Mind is only really going to benefit Shandera anyway, who is choiced and will have to switch often regardless. Reflect is fine. Although I'd use Light Clay instead since Espeon isn't really going to see the benefit from them that much.

As for Roopushin, you're not seeing the benefit of Bulk Up because you're not using Leftovers and you need a better EV spread. All that HP is doing for you is increasing the damage you take from Toxic and Burn. Try an Adamant spread with 68 HP / 192 At / 244 SpD. Your natural attack stat will be at 400, which is still amazing, and the SpD EVs and leftovers will make you survive a LOT longer than with Life Orb. Trust me. Oh, and use Stone Edge over Payback.

Use Fire Punch over EQ on Dragonite. The only pokemon that resists both Fire and Dragon is Heatran. Fire Punch lets you hit Bronzong, Skarmory, Nattorei, Scizor, etc. Glad you went with Lum.

Finally if I were to use a Shandera I'd use either Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Overheat has unparalleled power and better accuracy, which is fine for a Scarf set, and Flamethrower is just more reliable. Maybe use HP Ice over Energy Ball for Dragons, Gliscor and Landlos.

Good team. A lead Ditto and an Espeon are a great pair. Not many resistances though. You won't be getting many safe switches outside of Dragonite and Nattorei. I wish you luck in your endeavors as I like the pokemon you use.

7.9/10

@Jaroda

I prefer power (Fire Blast) over Accuracy. (Flamethrower)

I switched Roobushin's, evs and changed Payback to T-wave. I might switch Earthquake For Fire Punch. We'll see when that time comes.

One of my problems with this team does come from switching. I'm finding that exeedingly difficult. Any options and/or replacements you could suggest?

@Calm Pokemaster

As was stated Leech Seed is illegal with Stealth Rock and Spikes.

Genosect adds uneeded weakness' to my team as I already have a steel type.

I might replace Life Orb with Flame Orb.

I'm kind of having trouble thinking of another pokemon to use for you. Maybe your team would appreciate a Wish Blissey or Vaporeon that can sponge special attacks? Sableye could be good too. It has three immunities and Mischievous Heart can spread burns and confusion to keep the rest of your team safe. Bulky Baloon Heatran also resist a ton of moves that may benefit your team. It just depends on who you want to sack.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I said this on your warstory but I really like the idea of lead ditto. It's so brilliant! The first lead ever to not really have a "bad matchup."

I think you will run into more issues on Smogon's Dream World ladder, since we have team preview, which will probably have some issues with your Ditto-Espeon chain against any smart player. It's still a brilliant combo though.

I personally would avoid taking away from Dragonite's sweeping abilities any further. Your overall team is very lacking in offensive prowess. Dragonite is your major win condition, with the rest of the team backing it up. Since the other team members provide little in true offensive support (lack of ability to serve as a win condition), I would avoid any changes to Dragonite that would take away from its ability to serve as win condition (ie. take away its ability to break through steel types). With CS Ditto (and CS Shanderaa) as well as Roobushin to supply priority, I think ES is largely repetitive and would only weaken the overall effectiveness of the team's strategy.

The problems coming from switching result greatly from a lack of overall bulk on this team. I'd agree with Jaroda that special bulk particularly (or a lack there of is a particular problem. I would note though that if something was to go in favor of more bulk, right now Shanderaa is looking like the "weakest link" perse. I'd put some thought into it about whether you'd be willing to remove it or not.

That's a good point. Shandera is frail and revenged often. I suggest possibly switching it out for Baloon Heatran like I mentioned earlier. It's special attack is almost as good and it's so much bulkier with way more resistences. You can still have it revenge with Scarf if you want, but I think you'd benefit more from Substitute and three attacks like Fire Blast, Earth Power and Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power.

Alright I'll try out Ballon Heatran and get back to you. Does anybody else have opinions on what I could possibly replace on this team? (Minus Dragonite)

24hour bump. I edited my team with vaporeon in place of Shandera. The reasons stated why are in the op. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this team better?

I'm also having trouble with a bug that adds spaces on my op. I'll try and solve it later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)