How did your favourite Pokemon become your favourite?

I have always had a very hard time picking a #1 favorite Pokémon. There are so many amazing ones, I can never pick just one. So to make this somewhat fair (because I can't do this any other way), I'm going to post my favorite Pokémon from every generation. These are displayed in my signature, but I am not going to do both regular and legendary/mythical or any other sub-categories here in this post, just one Pokémon from each generation.

Kanto:
1602414801944.png

Abra was always one of my childhood favorites, I thought it was a mysterious and interesting creature. I had also heard that Psychic-types were supposed to be really tough and near-invincible, but I did not get to learn this since I never seriously trained any Psychic-types of my own in Gen 1. I remember that the anime and the scary way they portrayed Sabrina and her team there made me super terrified when I faced her the first time in Blue... but she turned out to be a pushover as my Blastoise OHKO'd her entire team with Hydro Pump! I think I was quite overleveled though.

As for Abra, I trained one in my first playthrough of Blue, but I never evolved it though because I liked it better than its evolutions. I don't think I had the ability to evolve it all the way into Alakazam either since it was a trade evolution and I didn't have the abilty to trade until later. I still used my Abra a lot though, but only in one way. I taught it Metronome and let it battle against wild Magikarp at level 5 just to see which cool moves Metronome would bring up. But why is Alakazam my favorite, and not Abra? Because in Gen 3, I realized that fully evolved Pokémon were the best for battle purposes (with some exceptions). Alakazam has very high Sp.att and Speed which appealed to me, so it became my favorite from Gen 1 and it has been that way ever since.

Johto:
1602415802784.png

Once when I played Silver as a kid, I spent an entire day training a Ledyba to evolve into Ledian. It started at level 10 and finally evolved at level 18. I think it was also very late at night when it evolved, I was in bed and was supposed to be sleeping, but I just wanted to evolve it before it before the day was over. Nowadays, I would have gotten something like that done in 5 minutes. But back then, it was a big thing for me. Since that moment, I have always had a fondness for Ledian. I think its design is just awesome. I got Silver before Gold and I have always liked Ledian over its Gold counterpart Ariados. As for how Ledian works in battle, I have used it seriously (more or less) twice and it wasn't all that great, which is what should be expected. But I still like it! It has been my favorite from Johto for a long time.

Hoenn:
1602415816661.png

Before the release of R/S, I had obtained a guidebook (which in retrospect was rather lackluster and limited), but it featured all of the new Hoenn Pokémon at least. One of them was Latias. I thought it looked really cute. My first Hoenn game was Ruby, and I had learned that Latias would be available in it. But in reality, that wasn't the case. Because getting a Latias in Ruby required you to have the Eon Ticket. The regular legend I got was Latios instead. While my friend (who had Sapphire) got Latias in his game. We were both quite surprised, especially since I liked Latias better while he preferred Latios, and their colors did not match the game colors! My friend played through Sapphire but then he wanted to restart his game, though I had asked him to find and catch Latias first and then trade it to me since I needed it for my Pokédex (he did not care much for completing his Pokédex). He eventually found Latias and caught it with the Master Ball, gave it to me, and restarted his game.

I have always liked Latias since the early Gen 3 days. It was my choice for the roamer in Emerald, I have always liked it better than Latios even if I really like Latios too. I even specifically RNGed myself two shiny Timid Latias with perfect IVs, one in HeartGold and one in White 2. However, while I do like regular Latias, I am not a super huge fan of Mega Latias. I don't think it looks too interesting design-wise, and I think it and Mega Latios look way too similar to each other. Regular Latias is my favorite Hoenn Pokémon though.

Sinnoh:
1602415865208.png
1602415870220.png

Shaymin became my favorite from Sinnoh after I realized how many positive qualities it had. This was in the very early Gen 4 days, before the English release of D/P. A person I looked up to made a forum post about all the positives of Shaymin (which was known as "Shiemi" at the time) and how it symbolized gratitude, kindness, and other positivies. All of which was embodied in the form of a cute little hedgehog which might not be the strongest Pokémon in battle despite being a mythical, but it has a great signature move that allows it to do something special at least. Ever since then, I have been a huge fan of Shaymin. When I played D/P, I loved the backstory for Floaroma Town and how it was secretly about Shaymin. In Platinum, Shaymin got a new Sky Forme which was much more powerful in battle even if I prefer the design of its Land Forme. Platinum is also where I finally got to catch a Shaymin of my own thanks to the Wi-Fi event giving access to it.

Unova:
1602414870903.png

I first heard about Haxorus before I started playing B/W. I thought it was crazy, a Pokémon with "hax" in its name. Could that really be true? It was also a powerful mono-Dragon with a cool design. When I played Black, I decided to use an Axew on my in-game team just to see if it was really true that its final evolution was named Haxorus. And it was. I kept Haxorus on my Black team and it really worked well, its massive Attack stat allowed it to destroy most opponents. Mold Breaker was great too. I have since then had great success with it in many other teams, mostly in Gen 5. I think its design is really awesome as well. It is also interesting how Haxorus was apparently the first Gen 5 that was created.

Kalos:
1602414827333.png

X/Y and Gen 6 introduced the Fairy-type. For the first time since Gen 2, a new type was added to Pokémon. I really wanted to learn how it functioned, so I wrote down its offensive and defensive characteristics on a paper which I had by my side while I played X, which was my first game from Kalos and Gen 6. I also wanted try the Fairy type as soon as possible, so I decided to use a Fairy-type on my in-game team in X. But which one? A new one, of course. Not an old one which had gotten retyped. But which new one? I quickly settled for Sylveon. It was super adorable. I tend to love new eeveelutions, my previous favorite Glaceon would soon find itself replaced.

Back when X/Y were new, it wasn't completely clear how to evolve Eevee into Sylveon. Some things were known, but not all the details. First of all, Eevee needed to know a Fairy-type move. I heard that there was a Fairy-type move that existed as a TM in X/Y, but it was apparently available late, after the 6th Gym. And said TM is Dazzling Gleam, which Eevee can't even learn! Then I learned that if you caught a wild Eevee at level 19 on Route 10, it would know a Fairy-type move upon capture. So I caught one at level 19, and it knew a Fairy-type move in the form of Baby-Doll Eyes. However, that was not all. You also had to do something with it in Pokémon-Amie and the let it gain a level. Only after all of that, you would get a Sylveon. But what exactly did you have to do? According to a Youtube video I watched, you had to max out all three categories in Amie: affection, fullness and enjoyment. So I started doing that, expecting it to take a while. Then I read in the comments of that video that someone had gotten their Eevee to evolve into Sylveon by leveling it up immediately after it had gotten a huge burst of hearts in Pokémon-Amie (gaining a new affection level, but that wasn't know back then). I trained my Eevee so that it was close to gaining a level, then played with it in Amie until it got a burst of hearts, let it gain a level, and... it evolved into Sylveon!

Since then, I kept Sylveon on my team in X, learned everything about the Fairy-type (which also became my new favorite type) and I loved it. Ever since my playthough of X, Sylveon has been my favorite Pokémon from Kalos. I have had great success with it in many other teams too, inlcluding post-game teams, Battle Maison/Tree teams and even one of the very few online teams I have made. I (and the rest of the fandom) also learned about what was actually needed to evolve Eevee into Sylveon eventually.

Alola:
1602415379003.png
1602415383987.png
1602415387637.png

I have a strong dislike for dogs in real life, but I tend to like dog Pokémon. And while I'm not fond of regular dogs, I tend to like other dog-like creatures such as foxes and wolves. The same goes for Pokémon based on these creatures. My first Alola game was Moon. While I completely skipped training a Lycanroc there, it had gotten me interested. When I got Sun, I decided to use a Lycanroc on my team there since it had the Midday form which I liked better than the Midnight form. However, it had a rough start. I remember that it was really weak at first. As a Rockruff, it lost against wild Caterpie before it learned Rock Throw! Then it gradually got stronger, and it eventually became one of the most important and dependable members of my Sun team. I lated used one on my post-game team in Sun as well. In US/UM, Lycanroc got a completely new form, and I really wanted to train it somewhere. I ended up using a Dusk Form Lycanroc on my mid-game team in Ultra Moon, and it was great. As for the forms, Midday is my favorite, closesly followed by Dusk. Midnight is my least favorite but still okay, though it is the only one I have never used anywhere.

Galar:
1602415467508.png

The newest generation, and the one I have the hardest time picking a favorite from. But I'm going for Copperajah. It all started in the intro when I started playing Sword. I went into the game 90% unspoiled, so when I saw Rose send out a Cufant, my first thoughts were: "What is that cute little elephant? I want one!". Elephants are another animal I like, and I was glad there was another elephant Pokémon besides the Phanpy line. When I played Sword, it took a while before I got to catch a Cufant of my own. I remember seeing one outside of the second Galar Mine next to a worker, but there were no elephants to be found in the mine. Much later, I managed to find myself a wild Cufant in the wild area and I added it to my team pretty much immediately. It eventually evolved into Copperajah, a really cool elephant. I kept it all the way to the end, it became a member of my Champion Team in Sword. I thought Copperajah was very dependable. A bit slow, but it had great bulk and could hit hard with strong moves. Steel was also a rather useful typing. I have also had great success with it in raids. So it is my favorite from Galar.

I wanted this post to become short, but I had so much to say that it became rather long. Sorry about that. But writing this was pretty fun. Thanks Bayleef030 for making this thread!

My history with Dunsparce is weird one. Due to my younger self screwing around with a Game Shark, my starter, Cyndaquil, became level 255, and then down to 100 after fighting something, thus preventing it from evolving. I decided to box it and find something to replace it. In Crystal there are many really nice early game options. Bellsprout, Growlithe, Poliwag, Gastly, but in the end what I picked with Dunsparce, which I happened to find in Dark Cave by sheer chance, since this was before even entering sprout tower, let alone the first gym and thus Hiker Anthony near the exit of Union cave. I decided to use it. Rage increasing in power with every hit it took, alongside having high HP for that point in the game, I slowly fell in love with it. By the end, He was level 100 with the moveset of Thunderbolt/Return/Iron Tail/Flamethrower. After Crystal came out for the virtual console, I bought a 3rd-party device that allows you to move you physical gameboy saves to a PC. While my original save file was gone my Dunsparce was in my Stadium 2 PC. Thus I moved it from Stadium 2 to Crystal, moved the save to PC, then made it compatible with the Virtual Console version of Crystal, and moved it to a 2DS with Custom Fireware(alongside my saves of Blue, Yellow, Silver, TCG, Puzzle League Challenge, and all three GBC Zelda games). I cloned it, so it wouldn't disappear from my Crystal save file forever, and transferred it to Bank, then Ultra Moon, and now it is in my Shield version since Isle of Armor brought it back. Had to replace Return with Body Slam, but otherwise unchanged.

Just chasing Suicune through Crystal I became as obsessed as Eusine tbh. There’s not a single thing I would change about that beautiful Pokemon. Always a wonderful compliment to Typhlosion too!
Nice! Suicune is my favourite legendary, alongside Celebi. <3

Started with Gen I and my first pick was my favorite and has remained since:

If I had to pick one it would be Charizard of course, but I do have a fondness for Charmander and Charmeleon too. Charmander was my Starter in Blue (I picked Blue because that's my favorite color, ironically my brother got Red and he picked Squirtle, lol) and since then I've never faltered on it being my favorite. Sure, other cool Pokemon have come along in later gens, but something with Charizard just clicks with me (probably helped by the anime making Charizard look like a badass).
Did you draw that? This is amazing!

When I was a teenager, before I really loved Pokemon, a family friend bought me a paperback guide to Generation I. I was aware there were more than 150 Pokemon at the time (cue me reaching the end and asking, "Where's Chikorita?" not realizing this was printed before that mon existed), but reading its entry on Lapras describing it as a gentle giant ferrying travelers across the sea but endangered by hunters got me hooked. Combined with successfully using it on a couple of in-game teams and watching VGC where its G-Max form exists as a perfectly solid pick, my love for the plesiosaur has never diminished.
Lapras is one of my favourites. Amazing! I've used it in-game in Blue, Yellow, Silver, Crystal, LeafGreen, SoulSilver, White 2, Y and UltraMoon... ;)

I have always had a very hard time picking a #1 favorite Pokémon. There are so many amazing ones, I can never pick just one. So to make this somewhat fair (because I can't do this any other way), I'm going to post my favorite Pokémon from every generation. These are displayed in my signature, but I am not going to do both regular and legendary/mythical or any other sub-categories here in this post, just one Pokémon from each generation.

Kanto: View attachment 281488
Abra was always one of my childhood favorites, I thought it was a mysterious and interesting creature. I had also heard that Psychic-types were supposed to be really tough and near-invincible, but I did not get to learn this since I never seriously trained any Psychic-types of my own in Gen 1. I remember that the anime and the scary way they portrayed Sabrina and her team there made me super terrified when I faced her the first time in Blue... but she turned out to be a pushover as my Blastoise OHKO'd her entire team with Hydro Pump! I think I was quite overleveled though.

As for Abra, I trained one in my first playthrough of Blue, but I never evolved it though because I liked it better than its evolutions. I don't think I had the ability to evolve it all the way into Alakazam either since it was a trade evolution and I didn't have the abilty to trade until later. I still used my Abra a lot though, but only in one way. I taught it Metronome and let it battle against wild Magikarp at level 5 just to see which cool moves Metronome would bring up. But why is Alakazam my favorite, and not Abra? Because in Gen 3, I realized that fully evolved Pokémon were the best for battle purposes (with some exceptions). Alakazam has very high Sp.att and Speed which appealed to me, so it became my favorite from Gen 1 and it has been that way ever since.

Johto: View attachment 281495
Once when I played Silver as a kid, I spent an entire day training a Ledyba to evolve into Ledian. It started at level 10 and finally evolved at level 18. I think it was also very late at night when it evolved, I was in bed and was supposed to be sleeping, but I just wanted to evolve it before it before the day was over. Nowadays, I would have gotten something like that done in 5 minutes. But back then, it was a big thing for me. Since that moment, I have always had a fondness for Ledian. I think its design is just awesome. I got Silver before Gold and I have always liked Ledian over its Gold counterpart Ariados. As for how Ledian works in battle, I have used it seriously (more or less) twice and it wasn't all that great, which is what should be expected. But I still like it! It has been my favorite from Johto for a long time.

Hoenn: View attachment 281496
Before the release of R/S, I had obtained a guidebook (which in retrospect was rather lackluster and limited), but it featured all of the new Hoenn Pokémon at least. One of them was Latias. I thought it looked really cute. My first Hoenn game was Ruby, and I had learned that Latias would be available in it. But in reality, that wasn't the case. Because getting a Latias in Ruby required you to have the Eon Ticket. The regular legend I got was Latios instead. While my friend (who had Sapphire) got Latias in his game. We were both quite surprised, especially since I liked Latias better while he preferred Latios, and their colors did not match the game colors! My friend played through Sapphire but then he wanted to restart his game, though I had asked him to find and catch Latias first and then trade it to me since I needed it for my Pokédex (he did not care much for completing his Pokédex). He eventually found Latias and caught it with the Master Ball, gave it to me, and restarted his game.

I have always liked Latias since the early Gen 3 days. It was my choice for the roamer in Emerald, I have always liked it better than Latios even if I really like Latios too. I even specifically RNGed myself two shiny Timid Latias with perfect IVs, one in HeartGold and one in White 2. However, while I do like regular Latias, I am not a super huge fan of Mega Latias. I don't think it looks too interesting design-wise, and I think it and Mega Latios look way too similar to each other. Regular Latias is my favorite Hoenn Pokémon though.

Sinnoh: View attachment 281497 View attachment 281498
Shaymin became my favorite from Sinnoh after I realized how many positive qualities it had. This was in the very early Gen 4 days, before the English release of D/P. A person I looked up to made a forum post about all the positives of Shaymin (which was known as "Shiemi" at the time) and how it symbolized gratitude, kindness, and other positivies. All of which was embodied in the form of a cute little hedgehog which might not be the strongest Pokémon in battle despite being a mythical, but it has a great signature move that allows it to do something special at least. Ever since then, I have been a huge fan of Shaymin. When I played D/P, I loved the backstory for Floaroma Town and how it was secretly about Shaymin. In Platinum, Shaymin got a new Sky Forme which was much more powerful in battle even if I prefer the design of its Land Forme. Platinum is also where I finally got to catch a Shaymin of my own thanks to the Wi-Fi event giving access to it.

Unova: View attachment 281490
I first heard about Haxorus before I started playing B/W. I thought it was crazy, a Pokémon with "hax" in its name. Could that really be true? It was also a powerful mono-Dragon with a cool design. When I played Black, I decided to use an Axew on my in-game team just to see if it was really true that its final evolution was named Haxorus. And it was. I kept Haxorus on my Black team and it really worked well, its massive Attack stat allowed it to destroy most opponents. Mold Breaker was great too. I have since then had great success with it in many other teams, mostly in Gen 5. I think its design is really awesome as well. It is also interesting how Haxorus was apparently the first Gen 5 that was created.

Kalos: View attachment 281489
X/Y and Gen 6 introduced the Fairy-type. For the first time since Gen 2, a new type was added to Pokémon. I really wanted to learn how it functioned, so I wrote down its offensive and defensive characteristics on a paper which I had by my side while I played X, which was my first game from Kalos and Gen 6. I also wanted try the Fairy type as soon as possible, so I decided to use a Fairy-type on my in-game team in X. But which one? A new one, of course. Not an old one which had gotten retyped. But which new one? I quickly settled for Sylveon. It was super adorable. I tend to love new eeveelutions, my previous favorite Glaceon would soon find itself replaced.

Back when X/Y were new, it wasn't completely clear how to evolve Eevee into Sylveon. Some things were known, but not all the details. First of all, Eevee needed to know a Fairy-type move. I heard that there was a Fairy-type move that existed as a TM in X/Y, but it was apparently available late, after the 6th Gym. And said TM is Dazzling Gleam, which Eevee can't even learn! Then I learned that if you caught a wild Eevee at level 19 on Route 10, it would know a Fairy-type move upon capture. So I caught one at level 19, and it knew a Fairy-type move in the form of Baby-Doll Eyes. However, that was not all. You also had to do something with it in Pokémon-Amie and the let it gain a level. Only after all of that, you would get a Sylveon. But what exactly did you have to do? According to a Youtube video I watched, you had to max out all three categories in Amie: affection, fullness and enjoyment. So I started doing that, expecting it to take a while. Then I read in the comments of that video that someone had gotten their Eevee to evolve into Sylveon by leveling it up immediately after it had gotten a huge burst of hearts in Pokémon-Amie (gaining a new affection level, but that wasn't know back then). I trained my Eevee so that it was close to gaining a level, then played with it in Amie until it got a burst of hearts, let it gain a level, and... it evolved into Sylveon!

Since then, I kept Sylveon on my team in X, learned everything about the Fairy-type (which also became my new favorite type) and I loved it. Ever since my playthough of X, Sylveon has been my favorite Pokémon from Kalos. I have had great success with it in many other teams too, inlcluding post-game teams, Battle Maison/Tree teams and even one of the very few online teams I have made. I (and the rest of the fandom) also learned about what was actually needed to evolve Eevee into Sylveon eventually.

Alola: View attachment 281491 View attachment 281492 View attachment 281493
I have a strong dislike for dogs in real life, but I tend to like dog Pokémon. And while I'm not fond of regular dogs, I tend to like other dog-like creatures such as foxes and wolves. The same goes for Pokémon based on these creatures. My first Alola game was Moon. While I completely skipped training a Lycanroc there, it had gotten me interested. When I got Sun, I decided to use a Lycanroc on my team there since it had the Midday form which I liked better than the Midnight form. However, it had a rough start. I remember that it was really weak at first. As a Rockruff, it lost against wild Caterpie before it learned Rock Throw! Then it gradually got stronger, and it eventually became one of the most important and dependable members of my Sun team. I lated used one on my post-game team in Sun as well. In US/UM, Lycanroc got a completely new form, and I really wanted to train it somewhere. I ended up using a Dusk Form Lycanroc on my mid-game team in Ultra Moon, and it was great. As for the forms, Midday is my favorite, closesly followed by Dusk. Midnight is my least favorite but still okay, though it is the only one I have never used anywhere.

Galar: View attachment 281494
The newest generation, and the one I have the hardest time picking a favorite from. But I'm going for Copperajah. It all started in the intro when I started playing Sword. I went into the game 90% unspoiled, so when I saw Rose send out a Cufant, my first thoughts were: "What is that cute little elephant? I want one!". Elephants are another animal I like, and I was glad there was another elephant Pokémon besides the Phanpy line. When I played Sword, it took a while before I got to catch a Cufant of my own. I remember seeing one outside of the second Galar Mine next to a worker, but there were no elephants to be found in the mine. Much later, I managed to find myself a wild Cufant in the wild area and I added it to my team pretty much immediately. It eventually evolved into Copperajah, a really cool elephant. I kept it all the way to the end, it became a member of my Champion Team in Sword. I thought Copperajah was very dependable. A bit slow, but it had great bulk and could hit hard with strong moves. Steel was also a rather useful typing. I have also had great success with it in raids. So it is my favorite from Galar.

I wanted this post to become short, but I had so much to say that it became rather long. Sorry about that. But writing this was pretty fun. Thanks Bayleef030 for making this thread!
Thank you so much for the compliment! Yeah, what I like are the stories behind people's favourites. Just mentioning a favourite isn't very interesting. To me, what makes this interesting is the story behind those favourites.

And I love Ledyba and Ledian. I know they're not very strong, but I don't care. <3

I agree about Latias, by the way. I don't care about Latios or Mega Lati@s, but I love Latias. So cute! I got a Timid one in Emerald, with very nice IV's.

My history with Dunsparce is weird one. Due to my younger self screwing around with a Game Shark, my starter, Cyndaquil, became level 255, and then down to 100 after fighting something, thus preventing it from evolving. I decided to box it and find something to replace it. In Crystal there are many really nice early game options. Bellsprout, Growlithe, Poliwag, Gastly, but in the end what I picked with Dunsparce, which I happened to find in Dark Cave by sheer chance, since this was before even entering sprout tower, let alone the first gym and thus Hiker Anthony near the exit of Union cave. I decided to use it. Rage increasing in power with every hit it took, alongside having high HP for that point in the game, I slowly fell in love with it. By the end, He was level 100 with the moveset of Thunderbolt/Return/Iron Tail/Flamethrower. After Crystal came out for the virtual console, I bought a 3rd-party device that allows you to move you physical gameboy saves to a PC. While my original save file was gone my Dunsparce was in my Stadium 2 PC. Thus I moved it from Stadium 2 to Crystal, moved the save to PC, then made it compatible with the Virtual Console version of Crystal, and moved it to a 2DS with Custom Fireware(alongside my saves of Blue, Yellow, Silver, TCG, Puzzle League Challenge, and all three GBC Zelda games). I cloned it, so it wouldn't disappear from my Crystal save file forever, and transferred it to Bank, then Ultra Moon, and now it is in my Shield version since Isle of Armor brought it back. Had to replace Return with Body Slam, but otherwise unchanged.
Dunsparce? Very nice! I love hearing stories about unusual favourites, Pokemon that most people don't see as a favourite.

My absolute favourite Pokemon is Kingdra for a number of reasons.

I love understated and quirky things, and Kingdra manages to look cool and confident without being overdesigned or based on an obvious cool animal.

Water/Dragon is the coolest typing ever, and again Kingdra is pretty quirky for a dragon type, not being super big and aggressive and fire breathing.

When I learned about its balanced stat distribution I loved it even more as it doesn't need monster stats to be awesome.

Last, my favourite football team mascot is a purple sea horse which is totally shiny Kingdra.

image.png

Mismagius
As a kid it wasn't my favourite (it may have been Oshawott) but it did earn that spot eventually sometime in between 2014-2016. I think seeing the PokeTuber Lueroi use a Misdreavus named 'Hamlet' in his Pearl playthrough helped me grow an attachment to the mon. Anime Fantina certainly left an impression with her battle prowess and particular way of battling, she was quite competent, being able to adapt mid-battle against Ash's counter-shield. Mismagius was one of her main mons and the way it appeared with Fantina outside of battle reminded me of HGSS's walking Pokemon.

Design is awesome. Mages are cool. I tend to be rather fond of hats in general and Mismagius certainly rocks what it is given with its conical crown and wide brim. I absolutely love the colour scheme in its 2D sprite and its offical art, how the complimenting pink so seamlessly blends in with the dark purple, how the yellow eyes gleam in the dark.
Its overall shape and sihoulette certainly stands out, even more so as a ghost.
I unfortunately don't like its 3D sprite, with its awkward proportions and lighter shade of purple- as if it was a poorer imitation of the original. Puke yellow doesn't help its shiny for such an elegant creature. I would have preferred dark emerald green- kind of like Minerva Mcgonogall from Harry Potter.

Like many ghosts, it has a solid in-game cry and its wailing- an expression of the soul's laments has appeal to me. Whereas Misdreavus is mischievous and naughty, Mismagius radiates more maturity and composure. Its lore makes it utterly terrifying- like a capricious force of nature whose actions are decided on a whim. Best seen through its numerous pokedex entries:
"Its cry sounds like incantation. It is said that the cry may rarely be imbued with happiness-giving power."
"It appears as if from nowhere—muttering incantations, placing curses, and giving people terrifying visions."
"Feared for its wrath and the curses it spreads, this Pokémon will also, on a whim, cast spells that help people."

Having not 1, not 2, but 3 immunities is great for switch ins. There is something satisfying about its stat distributions as well with 105 on its last 3 stats. I've unfortunately never used a Mismagius myself in an in game playthrough. I've used Misdreavus in Pearl but deleted the save file mid-game before it evolved. Misdreavus is unfortunately version-exclusive in Pearl, a shame I personally can't use it in Platinum without trading.
1602823906366.png
1602823932326.png

Last edited:

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Literally a dragon that now makes people seethe when it deservedly gets more attention and love than random obscure mons.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I've had this pokemon fairly close to my heart.

As a kid, i loved the concept of a pokemon that used both psychic powers and melee attacks to fight, total opposites that he could unite together as a style of battle. Also had a little figurine of it that I played with whenever i took a bath:

Got x/y when I was 9, and was bewildered to see it get a Mega-Evolution as well, alongside cool designs like Charizard X and Mega Alakazam.<

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
My favorite Pokemon? Dewgong, all the way.

I was first introduced to Pokemon when I wandered in a bookstore in the ORAS era and picked up a Pokedex, then filed through it to se what I liked. Some I instantly loved (Blaziken, Chandelure, Aurorous, etc.), some took their time (Talonflame, Braviary, Staraptor --- I'm a sucker for predatory Pokemon Birds). Dewgong was in the latter category, though I like its design very much. The white/blue color is perfect! As time grew, I liked it more and more. Then one day, I was at a friend's birthday party, and their TV was playing Pokemon anime reruns (in Chinese). I saw the episode where Team Rocket tried to abduct a bunch of Goldeen. Seel then evolved into Dewgong to save the day. I loved Dewgong instantly. It also helped that Ice was (and still is!) my favorite type by far.

Then I was playing Pokemon Tower Defense (a fan game, and the first Pokemon game I ever played. Boy I had a strange Pokemon experience.), which is very different. You have a team of up to six Pokemon and put them in different spots on the map to attack opposing Pokemon with moves while they run by. Sometimes they run by while attacking. Also, only Gen 1 pokemon existed (besides certain bosses and some PTW stuff), but Pokemon have larger movepools (gen 5 movepools, I think). Moves like Hyper Beam and Ice Beam was incredibly OP, while Earthquake was niche because you hit your own Pokemon. Unfortunately, I can't get Dewgong in-game until Seafoam Islands (after Viridian Gym), but someone at the trading center offered me a couple and I accepted instantly. They were amazing. They almost singlehandedly smashed Groudon in Viridian Gym with Ice Beam and Aqua Ring. (since Groudon was relatively slow, my Dewgong just spammed Ice Beam, freezing Groudon over and over again while doing good damage while healing with Aqua Ring). Even the mighty Lapras couldn't do it. When I got to competative Pokemon (what you people call Smogon), I was disappointed the Dewgong did not fare that well there, but I was happy for my second favorite Pokemon, which I use to this day.

In case you couldn't tell from my pfp, my second favorite Pokemon is Volcarona. I loved it the moment I saw it.
And from the heavens, shining down upon them all, came Volcarona. Such beauty. Such grace. Such power. With just a single turn, a single dance, Volcarona could boost its stats to monstrous levels. Then with different dance, Volcarona could reduce all opposition to cinders, growing stronger and stronger until nothing could stand up to its divine inferno. Like the Israelites living under Egyptian tyranny, Bug Pokemon had long been oppressed, but now Volcarona had descended from its solar perch to tenfold unleash a plague of fire upon all who spat at the Bug type and regarded it as a symbol of weakness.
I absolutely agree with you. The design is an absolute masterpiece. With the flaming wings, horns, and white fluff in the middle, it is one of the best designs in the entire franchise. The lore is also amazing. And Volcarona's battling powers also do not disappoint. About half of my USUM OU teams (that I actually use) revolves around Volcarona sweeping with QD. Volcarona can truly channel the fires of the sun on the battlefield. Favorite competatively viable Pokemon, by far.

You can probably guess my reaction when Frosmoth came out in Gen 8. Loved it instantly. It became my third favorite Pokemon in about five seconds. And it still didn't disappoint by having Quiver Dance (also I think we all can agree that Ice STAB is amazing).

Favorite legendary is Articuno. The design is perfect, with the ribbon tail being my favorite part. Too bad it isn't great in competative.

Favorite pseudo is Hydreigon (who gets a mention by still being in my top ten). The dark hydra is absolutely phenomenal in every way, down to the design.

Finally, my favorite starter is Blaziken, and that is NOT because of Speed Boost. For some absurd reason, my favorite animal is the chicken (don't even ask). A flaming karate chicken? Sign me up!

Last edited:

My first game was Pokemon Sun, and I really loved it and got into pokemon. I had chosen Rowlet so I got Decidueye and thought Ghost was awesome, especially as Mimikyu was new. When I found out about Mega Evolution I thought it was super cool, so I looked through the list of mega pokemon, looking for some cool Ghost types. Mega Gengar was cool, Sableye was awesome, and then I saw, lo and behold Mega Banette. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I checked the normal Banette form and still loved it. The simple design but cool zipper mouth drew me in. My love of Ghost types increased tenfold. I wanted to use this amazing thing, as Mega Banette wasn't available until USUM, so I looked for something I could use it on and found Smogon! I tryed an AG match with Mega Banette and other things I thought were awesome like Toxicroak and Lugia, got totally destroyed but still loved it! So I owe my introduction to Smogon to Mega Banette.

Some other mons I loved notably were Toxicroak, Lugia, Marshadow, Mimikyu, Sandshrew, and Torterra.

Last edited:

voyage

Banned deucer.
I started playing competitive somewhat late in the fourth generation era. Maybe this is why I like it so much and I find it funny. When new evolutions like Yanmega came out, it was clear to me that it would be my favorite. I love both its design and its competitive use, strategy. He has some interesting offensive skills and double type, that's another thing I like. It may not have a great variety of moves and its weakness to SR but to this day I stand by my opinion.

Zapdos became my favorite purely because of chance.

I received my first ever booster pack from my grandparents. We went over to their house and my grandmother told me to look inside her sewing case. Sure enough, a Base Set pack of cards was nestled in-between the yarn and needles. I ripped it open and the holographic Zapdos card stared back at me. I still have it. It is beaten up with multiple scratches but it is my Holy Grail of Pokemon merchandise. A cherished memory since they both have moved on to their Heavenly reward.

Zapdos became my favorite purely because of chance.

I received my first ever booster pack from my grandparents. We went over to their house and my grandmother told me to look inside her sewing case. Sure enough, a Base Set pack of cards was nestled in-between the yarn and needles. I ripped it open and the holographic Zapdos card stared back at me. I still have it. It is beaten up with multiple scratches but it is my Holy Grail of Pokemon merchandise. A cherished memory since they both have moved on to their Heavenly reward.
That holo Zapdos was my first card too! I thought it was the coolest shit. I lost it relatively quickly because I was an incompetent child, but I had forgotten that until just now. We were in a toy store at the mall and I opened the pack before we even left the store. Kinda brings back that amazing feeling opening a new pack gave me as a wee lad.

First pokemon game was Pokemon Ruby, I never even beat the game, but I do remember having a Breloom, Groyvle, Hariyama, and like a wingull/pelipper and two more. Breloom put in the most weight out of any pokemon on the team besides the Groyvle, and it still carried battles even when it was still a shroomish. Gen 7 and Gen 8 pokemon never stuck with me as much and I just really like breloom for some reason.

I've talked about my absolute favorite, Lapras, before in this thread, but I have quite a few honorable mentions that I'd like to say a few words about.

There's just something about STAB EdgeQuake. Available early in several journeys, I've loved Geodude's ability to withstand physical attacks and dish them out in return. It's served well on several of my in-game squads as a physical tank. Due to not being able to trade, I also developed a fondness for Graveler, which did these things even better, as an evolution should.

Can you tell I love tanks? Having the most resistances of anyone in the Dex isn't as much to write home about in competitive, when your're still taking neutral damage or more from the most common attacking types, but for in-game use, Magnemite is basically that above, but better defensively (if slightly worse offensively). And it's not just in the main series where it shines: the first Mystery Dungeon game and its remake have a Magnemite as your third teammate, and in RTDX in particular, it's a reliable teammate capable of serving in just about any role you want it in.

Such beauty. Such grace. Such power. I have yet to play Alola, so I sadly have never had the chance to raise a Popplio, but when I finally have the opportunity, I know exactly which starter I'm picking. I have seen plenty of it in competitive play, where especially in VGC Series 6, it absolutely shined.

I found a turtonator by chance in ultra sun and though that it was very cute. Bias of mine but Pokémon based on brazilian fauna always make me happy (even though there's so little. Brazilian region when?).

I also loved it much more than the other fire/dragons. Sure, its not nearly as strong, but the design has so much more charm vs mega xard (feels very edgy and fanservicey) and reshiram (pretty boring legendary with weird anatomy). Its a charismatic funny turtle that explodes all the time. It even has a funny mata matá turtle nose too!

Kiawes turtonator in the anime really solidified my love for it. He's such a good, fun character and can be very cute. The arc with alolan marowak was super fun too. It really made me wish we could challenge all the trial captains so I could see kiawe use turtonator. At least we have ryuji and raihan though

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Brazilian region when?
Lowkey though, that would actually be really sweet. Your boi Turtonator better be a part of that Regional Dex.

Edit: I tend to be in the same spot with this with the Italian culture. Pasta regional variant Tangela/Tangrowth or we riot. Italian region when?

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Over my years of playing Pokemon, I've had several different favorites, ranging from Lucario to Rayquaza, to Giratina-O, to Darkrai, to Rayquaza again for the longest period of time. At one point Arceus overthrew Rayquaza. When Rayquaza returned it and Aerodactyl were competing against each other. A few years after Rayquaza kept winning the top spot I chose Gyarados then Kyogre as my favorite. However, in late May 2019 Audino suddenly leaped above all other Pokemon and I've been adamant to keep it as my favorite since for the many reasons it has given me.

The How
https://www.smogon.com/articles/super-staff-bros-brawl

August 13th 2018
Super Staff Bros Brawl was being made for Pokemon Showdown. It had been a few years since the battle sim has had a Staff Bros metagame, with the original having been released in 2015 and Super Staff Bros Melee having been released in 2016. These formats were based off the Super Smash Bros video game series. The third installment of this series was Super Smash Bros Brawl, which was a game I was heavily obsessed with as a kid, especially before I started playing Pokemon games. In addition, within my first few years of joining Pokemon Showdown I had a lot of experience enjoying the older Super Staff Bros formats. I also had the experience of being put in as a fighter on several altered Staff Bros formats thanks to having been involved in the right side servers and main sim community at the time. One of them has its own thread on this site. With all of these factors in mind, I was interested in Super Staff Bros Brawl and started thinking a bit about ideas I could have as sets if I were in the format. At the time, I was a PS Global Voice, OM Room Mod, AG Room Mod, RoA Room Mod, and had just recently stepped down from Pokemon Games Room Voice. I wasn't eligible to apply for a set as only PS Global Staff, PS Room Owners, and PS Staff Bros developers were eligible.

September 9th-October 3rd 2018
Things had happened in the OM community that led up to drastic changes. After noticing the impact of these changes it didn't take me long to figure out I was going to be eligible to submit a set for Super Staff Bros Brawl in the future. It was only a matter of when. After realizing this I started well ahead of time to plan my set. Before planning, I understood that unlike in older Staff Bros formats, Super Staff Bros Brawl had a QC team who were strict against broken sets. I have also been a Pure Hackmons fanatic who was given the opportunity to lead the format, start it from scratch, and build a community around its home a few months prior. With these factors, I decided I wanted my set to represent Pure Hackmons without it being broken. My first thought after this was to run Wonder Guard Tyranitar. Wonder Guard had been a staple to the Generation 6 and 7 Pure Hackmons formats and is a key factor to the format's recognition. It was also my favorite ability. Wonder Guard is an incredibly centralizing ability but I figured it might work if it were given to a Pokemon with loads of weaknesses. I rejected this idea after some time because Tyranitar was uninspiring to the Pure Hackmons metagame, I was worried that my staffmon would suck, and I was worried that despite it sucking I'd be forced by QCs to change its ability in the future due to it being too centralizing by nature. The next option I could find was Huge Power, which was reasonable if given to a Pokemon with low base Attack. Huge Power was heavily influential to the Pure Hackmons metagame at the time due to its best user having base 190 Attack and a STAB Mold Breaker move to tear down Wonder Guards with. Choosing which Pokemon would fit well with this idea in Staff Bros was incredibly easy. There couldn't have been any better choice than Mega Audino. It is a Pokemon with low base Attack who was heavily influential in the Gens 6 and 7 Pure Hackmons metagames and was one of the best Wonder Guards in Pure Hackmons history. From there on I was dead set on using Mega Audino as my staffmon and gave it the set of a standard Huge Power Mega Mewtwo X. Because Mega Audino was such a valuable Wonder Guard Pokemon, I also wanted to add in a mechanic that functions like a Wonder Guard Pokemon in my staffmon's ability. If my staffmon got hit with a super effective move, it lost Huge Power. This would make the Mega Audino fairly pointless afterwards but that was my point. Wonder Guards can't do very much after getting hit by super effective moves. They're OHKOed most of the time if they do get hit in Pure Hackmons anyway.

~November 2018
I had a weird daydream partially involving Mega Audino. It helped start to make Audino seem a little more special.

November 29th 2018
I became OM Room Owner, but the format was already released so I kept my plan in store.

December 25th 2018
I became PS Global Driver. One of the main perks of getting Global Driver being granted a Custom Avatar on Showdown. A couple of years back I promised to myself that if I ever managed to earn a Custom Avatar, the one I made with Arceus would be my choice: https://i.imgur.com/fg9gZXL.png. However, not long after I had my staffmon plan made I started spending a lot of time reflecting on the choice of Pokemon itself. This was when reasons to start liking Mega Audino more started popping up in my mind. Mega Audino was a significant influence to my experience playing competitive Pokemon, even if it was in the form of Other Metagames. I understood this and before I chose it as my staffmon it was within my top 15 favorite Pokemon. It was slowly making it higher on my favorites list from this point. I hastily abandoned the Arceus avatar and decided to make a new avatar to use with Mega Audino instead: https://i.imgur.com/fQPsXaw.png.

February 20th 2019
The Mega Audino Custom Avatar went live. I was finally able to use it across all of Pokemon Showdown! Throughout the past few months in waiting I spent even more time thinking about Mega Audino. More and more reasons to shove it higher on my favorites list entered into my mind and I no longer had any idea where I wanted this Pokemon to be on my list. It was certainly higher than the place it was before, which was around #14. What I did know is, making any changes to the top 10 was an ordeal Mega Audino had to prove worthy enough for.
Ransei01/21/2019
it's like Kyogre, Gyarados, Rayquaza, Arceus, Magearna, Aerodactyl, Meloetta, Kyurem, Zekrom, Reshiram, but I have no idea where to put Mega Audino atm

Ransei07/16/2018
Gyarados, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Arceus, Magearna, Aerodactyl, Meloetta, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Yveltal, Hydreigon, Ho-Oh, Mega Audino, Sceptile

(Ransei's notes: To express how much of an ordeal it was for my top 10 to change, aside from Audino eventually pushing Arceus down to #11, none of the other Pokemon in my top 10 have been been added or removed in over 2 years and they are still within my top 10 as of this post in November 2020. They've only been rearranged a bit since.)

Before 2018 it was a lot easier because I was way less sure about my top 10 list and had only started to think much about a formal list since 2016. The image below was the first time I ever considered putting Mega Audino very high up my favorites list.

Oct 22, 2016
10 Mewtwo-Mega-X, Audino-Mega (I'm being legit here), Deoxys-Speed, Chansey, Blissey? not sure. All these Pokemon have something in common. Their viability in the Hackmons metagames.
9 I actually don't know what to put here... Maybe Meloetta or Arceus? idk.
8 Altaria (can just be any Altaria)
7 Gyarados (can just be any Gyarados)
6 Absol-Mega (has to be mega)
5 Banette-Mega (Has to be mega)
4 Aerodactyl (any)
3 Groudon-Primal (has to be primal, doesn't matter whether it's shiny or not)
2 Kyogre (primal or regular, any Kyogre)
1 SHINY RAYQUAZA (DOESN'T HAVE TO BE MEGA, IT CAN BE EITHER, IT JUST HAS TO BE SHINY)
My favorite Pokemon of all. This all has to go with Pokemon Conquest. Pokemon Conquest is a game that has a story that was highly interesting to me and a postgame that just kept me going. There was so much to accomplish on that game and since all that was possible without connecting with another DS. It took me several months to do everything entirely and I felt as if I had accomplished much more on that game than any other Pokemon game. I was even playing through it when I first joined Pokemon Showdown. I found my original username to be Ransei for 2 big reasons. 1) It was the name of the interesting Arceus-shaped region in the game I was playing. 2) I was thinking that it wasn't taken (which it wasn't). Since then because I have this username as my main and because of how much I accomplished on that game, I decided to let myself be a huge representation of Pokemon Conquest and have that as my favorite Pokemon game. It built up who I am today here. Shiny Rayquaza to me is not only has a cool, awesome design and a lot of power but I feel as if it was the true representation of Pokemon Conquest. Yes, representing more than Arceus and Zekrom. This is because to get Shiny Rayquaza, you're gonna have to get both Arceus and Zekrom along with 7 other legendary Pokemon in the game excluding Reshiram and that alone takes a long time to get. Honestly to the point where someone with average luck could actually shiny hunt it and find it in that time. Pokemon Conquest is the pure reason why I specify that this Rayquaza has to be shiny on my favorites Pokemon list and it's also why I treat shiny Rayquaza and regular Rayquaza as two completely separate Pokemon. Also, when you get this beast legendary Pokemon, you realize the way you got it and then you test it out in the battle field and see that it demolishes everything in its path marking it as a true boss to the game period. Now about Pokemon Conquest's story, it's so similar to Pokemon Black and White, they both have huge characters go after a certain ambition to set all Pokemon free of torture. One side trying to liberate all Pokemon from human, the other side trying to conquer all 17 kingdoms, find the legendary Pokemon and have it vanish just so he could say that this Pokemon does not exist and everyone would stop using their Pokemon as mere tools. They both learn through the end of the game that Pokemon were actually enjoying their activity in Pokemon battles more than anything else. For Pokemon Black, I could see Reshiram doing that. I can see the player using Reshiram to show N the truth. The truth that Pokemon and human were meant to be ingame. In Pokemon Conquest, I personally believe that both Arceus and Shiny Rayquaza showed Nobunaga this. I think that Arceus started up a game just for Pokemon to battle more often and showing trainers indirectly that Pokemon enjoy doing this. Shiny Rayquaza is the last step towards the game and is honestly in my opinion the motivator for battling. First of all, it has the ability Nomad that helps Rayquaza do more damage the further it moves and then it also its own warrior, Nobunaga has a Warrior Skill which helps the Rayquaza move twice in one turn. Rayquaza itself also was the Pokemon that Nobunaga had which taught him that Pokemon aren't really being tortured. Also noting that in Generation 6, who were the top 2 Pokemon? Arceus and Rayquaza, even Shiny Rayquaza would've reached 2nd place and in Generation 7, both of them are still at a very high point of strength. You can see the message I'm trying to say here. These Arceus and Shiny Rayquaza were possibly the origin for what Pokemon battles are to this date also mentioning that Pokemon Conquest most likely took place in the past during the Warring States period.

April 25th 2019
I was finally able to submit my staffmon set for Super Staff Bros Brawl. The QCs liked it but suggested to add Guts and Magic Guard to my Pokemon. I was more than willing to accept the suggestions given to me as it only added things to make the Mega Audino better and Magic Guard complimented my idea a bit.

May 25th 2019
I was about to hit 1500 posts on Smogon so I wanted to celebrate with the making of an RMT. I wanted the RMT to be for Pure Hackmons, as that was the main format I was highly interested in and this would be the first RMT Smogon has had for the it since 2014. This RMT features a couple three cat-based Pokemon and three rabbit-based Pokemon, including Mega Audino, and showcases their success in the metagame at the time. It was the first Pure Hackmons RMT post I had ever made for Smogon and Mega Audino just happened to be a part of it. RMT link down below:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...m-mashups-rmt-celebrating-1500-posts.3650643/

At the time there was also a thread made in the Ruins of Alph forum where people showcased their favorite teams:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-are-your-favorite-teams-of-all-time.3650569/

Both the Pure Hackmons RMT I made and the favorite teams thread being brought up led to the idea of me posting my favorite team ever as an RMT on Smogon. It was a team from four years prior that of course featured Chansey, then Mega Audino as the lead. My favorite team carried a lot of backstory behind it that I could never let go of. I started planning to make a post for it, which was released nearly three months later:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-hackmons-hopes-and-dreams.3653611/

May 27th 2019
At this point I was convinced that Audino reached the #1 spot on my favorite Pokemon list. It officially became my favorite Pokemon.

(Also over time I stopped caring about Pokemon being specifically in one form/forme. If I liked a Pokemon because of one of its forms/formes, I also appreciated the base form/forme of that Pokemon.)

The Why
This is going to be split up in two categories. The most difficult part about explaining my favorite Pokemon was to answer why it was with a simple reasoning. I thought up of way too many reasonings but I'll try to summarize the main ones as much as possible.

Design
  • Battle Mechanics - Audino was designed to be a Pokemon for everyone to KO and make use of for collecting EXP. It's a Pokemon made to not be too great in battle but be great at supporting other Pokemon in general. Its mega evolution did not help fix this, as it was given the ability Healer. All of this leads to Mega Audino being bad in most higher tiered formats. In Pure Hackmons, Audino turns from being an absolute punching bag that needs fixing to be used competitively to the best Wonder Guard in Gens 6-7. This also means it serves the most vital roles to keep Pure Hackmons in check. Audino is the best example of a Pokemon that needs modification in order to be at its full potential, which is what Hackmons is all about. It perfectly fits into the philosophy of Pure Hackmons while serving the most vital role of the format. I'd argue it's even a better example than Slaking and Regigigas since Audino is originally pretty much a punching bag, but serves the most vital roles to keep Pure Hackmons together better than those two when given what it absolutely wants in order to defend itself. It is almost exclusively good in Pure Hackmons and Balanced Hackmons both, and these are among my favorite formats.
  • Concept - Audino is a rabbit and a fairy. Both of these are associated with magic, which ties in well with its role of being the best Wonder Guard Pokemon in Gens 6 and 7. Wonder Guard is an ability that uses magic to protect the user. This also compliments the move Magic Coat, which I've commonly seen effective use on Mega Audino for.
  • Name - I really love Pokemon and its species of over 890. Oftentimes I want a specific Pokemon to be within the high ranks of my favorites but could never justify pushing it much higher than it was already and before choosing Audino I had a hard time feeling sure about what my favorite Pokemon was, so sometimes I just did not know. Audino solidifies this well as it could be a genuine answer for if you don't actually have a favorite Pokemon. "Hey what's your favorite Pokemon?" "Audino." "You don't know?" It's a great name to use as a pun for when you don't have an answer and I feel you can use this pun as an excuse to say you don't have a favorite Pokemon. It's like saying Ditto for instance.

Experiences
Audino has been a part of several great experiences I've had playing Pokemon. Particularly holding the story of Hackmons in Hopes and Dreams and serving as my lead for the team. This meant so much to be as a whole because that is my favorite team of all time and it defined some of the most significant experiences I've had battling on Pokemon Showdown. It also being showcased in the my first Pure Hackmons RMT as well as having to build the Pokemon on so many teams also helped.

Next, I have this story to share:
During my first run through Pokémon Omega Ruby, I spent the early parts of the game using Player Search System. After many Wonder Trades and some GTS trades, someone sent me a random trade request. At the time, I hardly had any Pokémon let alone valuable ones. I was still pretty much at the beginning of the game! I didn't know what I had to offer but got curious and accepted the trade anyway. I showed them the Pokémon I had, but then realized they were only trying to show off all of their mythicals and legendaries. I waited for them to finish showcasing their Pokémon but when they were done, they whipped out an Audino named "YOU SUCK!" and left. Little did we both know that same Pokémon would one day become my favorite and beyond all those mythicals and legendaries that they showed off.
On top of this, a few weeks after choosing Audino as my favorite I had a fun experience with it in Pokemon Rumble World:
Also when I was playing Pokemon Rumble World and trying to complete the Pokedex, I wanted to collect some Audino to go into my list of Pokemon. I already had one but I just wanted more. I ended up beating some and got an Epic trait version of it with six incredible abilities. This was an incredibly rare variant of this Pokemon. I gave it a Mega Stone and the Audino ended up being better than all other Pokemon I had, including Mewtwo, Arceus, Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and so on. I had the full dex and this was truly my best Pokemon in the game.
It was also my staffmon in Super Staff Bros Brawl. Why this is significant is explained in the first half of this post. Following this, it became the Pokémon I used to represent my leadership positions on Smogon and Showdown, OM Leader and PS! Admin (Mega Audino and Audino banners)

11/9/2022 edit
Ransei said:
I spent 2021-2022 trying to make the most I could out of Pokemon games, and I've been able to do that with X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, Moon, and Ultra Moon (I've grown into a huge Gen 6-7 fanatic). This involved completing the National Dex (it was just gonna be Gen 6 but going up to all 905 was easy enough afterwards), battling AI versions of myself with epic Ubers or Hackmons teams, going through the Battle Maison, the Battle Tree, and the Battle Agency (all super singles), and creating the most grand Pokemon adventure I could make in Ultra Moon. I've also finished up the last couple of requests in Pokemon Rumble World (World Championships X is insane), completed Legends Arceus, completed Shining Pearl, and played through Conquest's main story again after my 100% save file wiped itself out.
Lastly, Audino has taken a fundamental role in all of my latest experiences with Pokemon games. It was the star of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (the game I completed the National Dex in), won World Championships X for me in Pokemon Rumble World, and was a significant part of both my Moon and Ultra Moon runs that I went out of my way in order to make the most grand adventure possible for!

A little bit of both
At some point I've discovered that Audino turned out to be a heavily symbolic figure in my first Pure Hackmons RMT. Much of why adds to why I really like the design aspect of this Pokemon. This especially helped that RMT become one of my favorite teams of all time.

There's also this article: https://www.smogon.com/articles/what-is-hackmons - As you may or may not have known, I've been a huge fan of Pokemon lore and history. I've often thought about what roles legendary and mythical Pokemon had in the Pokemon universe. For a couple of years, I tried coming up with something for Pure Hackmons as no matter how imaginary it seemed, I felt it was a significant part of the Pokemon series. After years of trying to figure out what I could explain for the format and carrying an insane amount of thoughts about what roles many individual Pokemon had in their universe, I pieced everything together and came up with an entire philosophy on Pure Hackmons. Figuring out this philosophy and Audino's role in it as THE BEST example was the trigger point that led me to decide on Audino becoming my favorite Pokemon. I spent a year and a half planning to make a large special post about it somewhere. I ended up deciding it would just be better to make it into an article. Enjoy :)!

To add on, here is a post that partially explains why Audino is the best example: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/old-gen-hackmons-megathread.3649618/page-10#post-8938233. All the other reasons I can explain are either in this post or in other posts linked here.

Additionally, Pokémon who served major roles in older Pokémon games were often identified by color. Charizard represents Red, Pikachu represents Yellow. Speaking of the aforementioned article, Mew is pink and Mewtwo is purple. The ancestor of all Pokémon is pink and the ancestor of all Hackmons is purple. Audino is pink and its shiny form is purple, making a possibility to bear resemblance. Adding on, hacked Pokémon were often signified in Pokémon games through shiny coloration, making this possible fun connection check out double.

Last but not least there is a fun niche for Audino in low ladder legal Doubles formats where this Pokemon uses everything it stands for in order to help Shedinja copy its Wonder Guard ability and legitimately pass it off to another Pokemon. If Audino itself gets the Wonder Guard ability, it can pass the ability onto even more Pokemon.
Replay showcasing this niche perfectly: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-1202613277

All of these reasons really make it difficult if even possible to ever let Audino leave the number 1 spot. There are so many stars that align with my perception of this Pokemon and what I'm heavily passionate about that it's ridiculous. There is more I could explain and elaborate on, and there may be more things in the future, but I've already made this post big enough for what it's worth.

I guess if I could put the reason in one sentence: The way it was made was perfect for me.

Last edited:
:shaymin:
Yes. Not the sky form. I love shaymin because it's really cute. Also watching the shaymin pokemon movie was amazing, and shaymin saying "this way" made me absolutely fall in love with it.

:eevee:
It's cute. That's all. I have a box full of eevee in Pokemon Shield. I am so not sorry.

:sylveon:
Not only is it the trans rights mon, it's also in my favourite colour. Also, Serena's sylveon in the anime. Also the ribbons are just adorable and I fangirl to anything with ribbons. And it evolves from eevee. What more could you want?

:togepi: :togetic: :togekiss:
When your egg hatches in Soul Silver, and you cherish the togepi with all your heart. And then pokemon decides to make it a fairy type, which soon becomes your favourite type. It's cute. The entire evolutionary line is cute.

:mamoswine:
My favourite animal is the elephant. Pokemon doesn't do good elephants. The first time I saw this, I was like, this thing is majestic. I need it. Also, this thing made ground types my favourite type until fairy types came along.

:cyndaquil:
My first pokemon. It's really small, it's cute. I adore it. It goes from cute to also cute to cool. Since I picked cyndaquil in soul silver, I've begun every generation with a fire-type starter.
The list being a bunch of small cute Pokemon and Mamoswine tickles me. I'm just imagining them all sitting and playing on Mamoswine's back, and Mamoswine appearing to be annoyed but secretly it thinks they're adorable.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
My favorite Pokémons are Mudkip, Marshtomp and Swampert.
:bw/mudkip: :bw/marshtomp: :bw/Swampert:
Since I was a kid, Axolotl have always been my favortie animals, because their just that cute. The other axolotl inspired Pokémon (the Chansey line and the Wooper line) don't come up to the Mudkip line. Although, Wooper and Quagsire are close seconds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)