Monotype History of the Moon

Introduction
I don't even remember where or when I saw vincune. That said, once I had heard about it I knew I wanted to try building a water team with it. I think the initial version of this was built in early November, and it's come a long way since then. I was going to try and peak with this but ended up putting it off, and then ladder transitioned to Gen 7, so my opportunity was essentially lost. I haven't had the opportunity to really use this in tournament games, but I think it would perform well in one and I also think it's also pretty fun.

The Team

Plain Asia (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Scald
Suicune is easily the most important member of this team, and a wincon in a ton of matchups once its support has done its job of setting. It's pretty simple: Sub on things that can't touch you, protect for PP stall + leftovers recovery, Scald is Scaldm and Calm Mind to beat Special attackers / win games. Lots of types' answers (For example Ferrothorn on Steel, Slowbro on Psychic) just lose to Pressure's PP stall + Toxic Spikes and eventually just become setup fodder for this.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
Tentacruel is probably the second most important member of this team. Toxic Spikes support is super good on this team because of how well it support Suicune. It helps Suicune beat Water immunities like Seismitoad, Gastrodon, and Volcanion, and Cradily. It also absorbs opposing Toxic Spikes and spins away other hazards, which benefits the team because none of them have reliable recovery. The speed investment creeps +Spe base 70s, such as Breloom. It's also my Zard-y switchin, and although I can't do much back, I can hope to poison it, stall out sun, or lower Solar Beam's PP for later. I have Sludge Bomb over Acid Spray because of its decent chance to OHKO Breloom as well as poisoning in case Sludge Bomb doesn't KO it.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald / Toxic
Swampert is another vital member of this team, thanks to its Electric immunity, fantastic defensive stats, and stealth rock. Stealth Rock is always important to have, but on this team it's more useful than usual (if that makes any sense) because Suicune appreciates the extra chip to needed break some things. I normally hate doing slashes, but Toxic is incredibly useful when trying to beat Mega Latias, Zapdos, annoying things in general but you also miss out on Scald on a bulky water so it's up to you.

Lunaholic (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
At this point I lacked a special wallbreaker, so Keldeo was an easy choice. Specs Keldeo breaks through so many things in monotype, you're basically hindering yourself if you aren't using it. This speed ties with Galvantula and other base 108s that aren't scarfed. Icy Wind is my only ice-type move on the entire team, and I need that to hit some dragon types, notably Latios which is a common Keldeo switchin that is 2HKO'd by icy wind. I chose Hydro Pump over Hidden Power Electric because I valued 2HKOing Zapdos more than hitting Slowbro.

Old World (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Crunch
Gyarados is a nice secondary wincon for the team as well as a Pseudo-Grass check. It's also really damn bulky, which gives it a lot of opportunities to set up free Dragon Dances and put in a lot of work vs some types, noticeably the ever-present Psychic. Intimidate is also really useful in general. I chose Taunt over Substitute because it's not my main win condition and I preferred the utility of preventing walls like Skarmory just phazing it away / Roosting on it.

Spark (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
I needed something to slightly ease the Dragon matchup as well as a physical wallbreaker, so Azumarill fit quite well. It really helps with the special walls that would normally shut down Suicune. Azu doesn't help as much vs Dragon as I'd hoped, but it still helps with pokemon choice locked into Dragon moves which is basically a free Play Rough. I went with Superpower over Knock Off because I wanted to hit things like Chansey and Ferrothorn. The speed investment outspeeds Skarmory, and also other Azumarills that try to creep Skarmory. You could also use more to speed to outspeed uninvested base 75's, like Mega Scizor and Klefki.

Threatlist

- Dragon in general is a really hard matchup because of the significant lack of ice moves on the team, but Dragonite and Mega Latias are special. Suicune is unable to PP stall Dragonite because Outrage only uses a PP point when it is started, not in the subsequent turns when it's locked into it. As for Dragon Dance, Suicune has to get 2 burns immediately, which are shitty odds, although better than Band. Even with a burn, CB Dragonite always breaks sub with Outrage. My best bet is roaring it away or Toxicing it with Swampert. Calm Mind + Boltbeam Mega Latias is also a huge problem for this team. Once again, my best way of handling it is Roaring or Toxicing it with Swampert.

- My answer to this is PP stall. +2 SpD Suicune has a pretty decent chance (21.2 - 25.7%) for defensive Venu to not break sub, and from there cune can fish for burns and PP stall synthesis.

- Breloom is a pretty big threat to this team since nothing on this team likes being sacked by spore and my check to it, tentacruel, can't actually switch in on a decent bullet seed roll.

- Grass Knot Thundurus basically 6-0s this team. Gyara has a chance to live Tbolt at full, and swamp can roar/toxic Thundurus that don't carry Grass Knot.
  • - To go off of this, Electric is nearly impossible to beat with this team. My only electric check is Swampert because there's virtually no chance of me winning that matchup, so I didn't want to take away from any other matchups just to improve the Electric one.
- Charizard is especially difficult to deal with, since the only thing that takes solar beam comfortably can't do anything back. Keldeo can revenge it with Hydro if it's had some decent chip, or scald if it's around 60.
- Scarf Rotom-Mow is a problem for almost every water team (the exception being that protect spam stall team). In short, it comes in and causes a 50/50. My way of beating this is Suicune or Gyarados being set up to the point where either rotom can't touch the former, or it gets KO'd by the latter.

Conclusion

For better or worse, Vincune is (probably) going to be much worse in Sun/Moon due to the burn nerf + offense (especially electric) being so prevalent. Either way, I probably won't be making an updated team with gen 7 support like Mantine and Toxapex. That's it, I guess. Goodbye ORAS!
Shoutouts

I really appreciate all most of you guys
Eien - O> O< Quack O> thank you so much for introducing me to touhou and also being and amazing friend. I don't know how many times i would've given up on this team if it wasn't for you. praise koizumi
Baxstenias - come back to mono for s/m ;w;
Its Hatch - one of the most down-to-earth people i've met on PS!
Misaka Mikoto - stop denying that you're a weeb ;w;
Waszap - /me squints is that the king himself? i still don't understand how you didn't know what ndrv3 was until like 2 weeks ago. bagged milk is for nerds
Clearly - zydog? zygod? who knows??? fr, you're one of the best mono builders and nicest people out there on PS!
scpinion - the best tier leader we could ever ask for. we really would be nowhere without you, keep up the amazing work
SirSkit - sirksit!! sorry for never making that birthday drawing D:
average fella - i think you're the entire reason i kept playing monotype (or even mons at all) and I've never been able to thank you enough for it
iLlama Hammy stat1c (finally made a smogon!) Dece1t ChildOfDisorder StarBlim - all cool people

Confluxx - http://prnt.sc/btq0ns

hope i didnt forget anyone, if i did pm me

Plain Asia (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald / Toxic

Spark (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Old World (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Crunch

Lunaholic (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
also the song is technically called history of the moon the video just cuts it off

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)