High Quality Fanworks

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wasn't catchatronic commissioned by the Pokemon company?
Yup, hence the advertisement at the end for a promotional website that's no longer up.

To add some fan music suggestion, how about covers of XY's ending theme, KISEKI? I feel it's a bit of an underrated song since they didn't have anyone sing it, it was just the lyrics with the music. And I can see from just reading it how many would probably just see the lyrics being a bit too saccharine, encroaching in on the infamous "We Are The World" charity song territory.

I think KISEKI is leaps and bounds over "We Are The World" with its message. Not only that, KISEKI tried getting its message across by having lyrics of multiple languages on screen. If I were to give GF a benefit of the doubt, maybe that's why it didn't have vocals, it's a song meant to be perceived in multiple languages rather than just your own. Of course, the problem with that is people are only going to read the lyrics in the language they speak, the only thing having other language lyrics below tells them that it was translated into multiple languages. That's why I find these two fan covers of KISEKI to be the best representation of the song as every few lines the switch between languages. Also, when actually sung, it doesn't sound as saccharine as one think and more hopeful for people to act better towards one another.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

So this guy's videos are pretty good.

I invariably roll my eyes whenever I see a listicle or a video titled "[number] things you don't know about Pokemon!" because as someone who knows a fair amount more about Pokemon than your average person, and has a particular interest in the especially obscure mechanics of the series, I think you'll find I do know these things, thank you very much. I get that these articles aren't really made for me, but it still bugs me. However, one of his videos popped up on Youtube earlier and the thumbnail caught my eye so I clicked.

It's actually pretty decent! I was aware of, I'd estimate, 75% of the things he discussed, but some of it legitimately was unknown to me so that was nice. Plus it's quite amusing how he starts each video with more well-known trivia like "did you know Arcanine was originally supposed to be a legendary?" just to troll hardcore fans who definitely know these sorts of things.

So this guy's videos are pretty good.

I invariably roll my eyes whenever I see a listicle or a video titled "[number] things you don't know about Pokemon!" because as someone who knows a fair amount more about Pokemon than your average person, and has a particular interest in the especially obscure mechanics of the series, I think you'll find I do know these things, thank you very much. I get that these articles aren't really made for me, but it still bugs me. However, one of his videos popped up on Youtube earlier and the thumbnail caught my eye so I clicked.

It's actually pretty decent! I was aware of, I'd estimate, 75% of the things he discussed, but some of it legitimately was unknown to me so that was nice. Plus it's quite amusing how he starts each video with more well-known trivia like "did you know Arcanine was originally supposed to be a legendary?" just to troll hardcore fans who definitely know these sorts of things.
Pokemon fact tubers really sleeping on the wiiware mystery dungeon games, there's probably all KINDS of facts untapped there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Another fan project I stumbled across that I don't think was mentioned here (though I remember reading about it before somewhere):

Johto Redrawn

Basically someone is taking the GSC Johto sprite map and giving it an artwork update making the sprite work look even more crisp and detailed (along with adding a ton of other little details and easter eggs here and there). You need to see it yourself to know what I mean.

On Twitter they main artist behind this is working on Kanto Redrawn as well as working on doing the inside of buildings & caves (and other such locations).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A lot of them remind me of fakemon that gaming magazine made during the early days of Pokemon for whatever reason (either trying to trick people they were new Pokemon, I guess maybe the magazine was unsure they were allowed to show real Pokemon so made up some fake ones, they had an artist who wanted to have some fun, etc.).

I was going to go through them but when I went to their twitter I saw they had made like several hundred so I think it's best to leave where auto-generated fakemons lie.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Aka the bare minimum that BDSP should have done. Also, we all know that a few changed around Pokemon (in the wild and on important NPCs teams) and making the Platinum clothes available from the start isn't what people (all) mean when they say "why didn't they base it on Platinum".

Honestly without the missing features of Platinum I say forgot making the wild tables & trainer teams match Platinum and give it their own challenge, like what a B2W2 "Hard Mode" would be like (every trainer having an extra mon, higher levels, stronger moves, holding items, access to Hidden Abilities if its the better Ability, etc). Take inspiration from ILCA even and make teams with strategy and/or synergy (maybe even add in more Double and/or Multi Battles). As for Wild Pokemon, add in a whole batch more (just don't forget certain evo requirements).

Before anyone says anything, no, this isn't me ragging on the people who made the Platinum mod. I recognize it probably took a lot of effort to do all they could to replicate the Platinum changes. But sadly without the extra story scenes, added characters (mainly Looker & Charon), changes to the Gyms, and the Battle Frontier (yeah, I said it, take a drink) you might as well not limit yourself to Platinum because its improbable to.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Before anyone says anything, no, this isn't me ragging on the people who made the Platinum mod. I recognize it probably took a lot of effort to do all they could to replicate the Platinum changes. But sadly without the extra story scenes, added characters (mainly Looker & Charon), changes to the Gyms, and the Battle Frontier (yeah, I said it, take a drink) you might as well not limit yourself to Platinum because its improbable to.
OP has made it clear that his team will look into adding those things once BDSP modding advances enough for it to be feasable (and by the looks of things it's advancing very rapidly)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I used to never know where to post these videos, I used to post them in the "Little Things You Like" thread though these don't quite fit the tone of that thread. But now that we have this thread I feel it's a more proper home for them:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

This animation is absolutely incredible, y'all.
They actually made quite a few Pokemon animations, as well as others for Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and look to have even done some work for AVGN! Their channel name is Channy and Kimberly and you can click their name to see their other videos, though for now I'll just post their other Pokemon stuff:
(Sadly nothing for the Crowned Tundra or BDSP; though to be fair these animations probably take months to do so can't hit all the big releases)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Putting some respect on Voltorb's name.

Well, certainly a fanwork, but high quality? Let's go through it...

Main Counterpoints:
  1. They mention Voltorb's design was finalized before the Poke Ball's was thus why they resemble the concept art, but I'm not sure how true that is. Also, even if the Poke Ball's design was finalized before the Voltorb family, I think they would still look as they do as they're meant to monsters which vaguely resemble Poke Balls to fool people.

2. Though the Voltorb family (and by extension the Foongus family) aren't "dangerous" on thier own, in groups they can be a nuisance causing you to have to manage your Pokemon's health closely. And if you want to catch one the risk of knocking out themselves is enough to cause a bit of sudden panic, allowing them time for extra hits for every failed catch attempt before they're either captures or the RNG picks Self-Destruct. The Foongus family can be annoying as they will be likely healing themselves, some have Toxic, and all have Effect Spore as an Ability.

3. Mimics in games aren't always major encounters and don't always give out bigger rewards. While the scenario allows them to set up to be an end dungeon boss to get the key item or a bonus boss going down a side path, most often they're just there to keep the player on their toes.

4. While I wouldn't be against giving the Voltorb family a bit of a stat increase, using a Legendary such as Regieleki as a base I don't think is the right direction.

5. Didn't do their research. Experience given is not based on a Pokemon's HP but a specific value that GF sets for each Pokemon. While Pokemon with high HP do generally give high experience, that's a decision GF made and not because they have high HP. Electrode itself has low base HP but a decent experience yield, higher than some Pokemon with higher base HP.

6. The Voltorb family need to be more than just "a surprise Mimic". They focus entirely on making a single encounter result in an instant KO for one of your Pokemon essentially, not thinking about its use outside of that single moment (which other Mimics don't suffer from really). And all that for what can be reversed with a Revive. And then after going out of their way doing all this, to silent any criticism, says to avoid this happening players should just have a Ground-type, which also defeats their entire purpose of making Electrode OP.

Agreements:
  1. While I don't think the Voltorb family needs Mimic (though Transform would be fun), think giving them trapping/slowing moves like Mean Look and Electroweb isn't out of the question. Also, if they ever spread it, Thunder Cage could also be given to them as suggested.

2. Raising the Voltorb family's Attack stat? Sure, makes sense if one of their main gimmicks is exploding.

2:25: Um, source? And even if they were designed before the final Poke Ball design was, I don't think that would have changed their design really. Like, at most MAYBE they'll have a black line between the red and white hemispheres, but I feel even that would take away from the simplicity of the design which I feel is partially the point. Yes they're round and half red-and-half-white, but they're not meant to be Poke Ball but monsters that "resemble" Poke Balls (Mimics/Mocks/Chest Monsters as some other RPGs call them). And yes, Foongus/Amoongus's caps look more like accurate Poke Balls, but I'd argue that's because it isn't their main body so need to have the cap be more detailed to quicker fool the onlooker before they realize something is off. But Voltorb/Electrode (and Galarian Stunfisk's mouth)? "Hey, a red and white ball, someone must have dropped a Poke Ball... what?" And before they have time to realize the size/lack of details the victim is shocked (or has their hand in a clamp for G-Stunfisk).

4:06: Ahead of this video by a minute and 41 seconds.

7:24: Eh, just cause it's a Mimic doesn't mean it would learn a copying move, though would be funny if they got Transform. Considering what Poke Balls do, at most any moves they would get to reference that would more be trapping and binding moves. Infact I'm surprised they don't get Mean Look nor Electroweb (also they would be prime candidates if they decide to spread around Thunder Cage).

9:50: Yes, at full HP most Pokemon will survive a Self-destruct from them... but when you're going through the Power Plant there's multiple of them and your Pokemon may not be at full HP the further you go down the dungeon. Also, as Pokemon, you can catch them and Self-destruct adds a panic sense when you encounter one because you don't know when they'll blow so may spend your encounter time throwing Poke Balls at them for a lucky/quick catch (which could let them do free damage and even possibly knock out your other Pokemon if the RNG isn't on your side and doesn't select it Self-destruct). Yes, you can catch them in the grass just outside the Power Plant, but when first playing through the game how would you know that unless you decide to spend a few minutes doing wild encounters in the grass instead of heading right into the main attraction and got lucky to get a Voltorb encounter?

11:02: ... AND the Foongus family also serve their purpose well enough. On Route 6 they're not that big of a threat though still be an annoyance; BW they they'll know Bide (so better be careful when you choose to attack them), Ingrain, Mega Drain (so often healing themselves), and Faint Attack (general coverage); BW2 they'll know Ingrain, Giga Drain (healing often once again), Faint Attack (coverage), and now Sweet Scent... well, can't all be winners. On Route 7 in BW2 they'll be much more of a threat knowing Toxic, Synthesis, and Giga Drain (and Sweet Scent...)! Finally Route 10 has to Foongus which are like the ones from BW2's Route 6 but there's also two Amoongus which have the same moves as the two Foongus from BW's Route 7. Sure, they likely won't knock out your Pokemon, but they're more meant to annoy. Oh, and did I mention they all come with Effect Spore?

11:07: In some games, yes, but not all games. Infact, I would even argue that Mimics AREN'T generally meant to be a major encounter because it goes against their design purpose. A Mimic is meant to be a surprise attack to catch you temporarily off guard. While some games they could use this as a scenario for a boss, like you reach the final room and the Mimic is pretending/has the item you need or they're an optional room thus a bonus boss; but otherwise they're meant to be something to keep the players on their toes but not a fight to the death per se. When a player sees a chest they think it's reward time and let their guard down, Mimics can be a way to teach them they need to keep their guard up whenever exploring a dungeon or enemy base (mainly through health and item management, don't know when a challenge would suddenly spring up like a Mimic or even an ambush!). Also, while a fun bonus to have them spill out more awards than usual, Mimics aren't required to give out better rewards or rewards at all.

12:22: HAHA, NO! Give a com mon LEGENDARY stats and then sprinkle them around as general Mimics? Are you MAD? Is that what this video is actually about? The Voltorb family is your favorite Pokemon (EDIT: Okay, so he says they're not his favorite though he still likes them well enough), you've been hoping they give them a major boon, but then you saw them make Regieleki which sorta has similar stats and got upset they didn't give it to Electrode even though there was no way Electrode would ever be given a BST of 580? And yes, he does back-up a bit and suggest an Attack increase (so that Self-destruct & Explosion does more damage, which I think is reasonable if that's supposed to be their thing) and HP... for not so good reason:

12:47: Um, NO, did you do ANY research before making this video? Experience gained from battle has nothing to do with HP, in addition to using this formula what really affects how much experience a Pokemon gives is a unique value each Pokemon has called a Base Experience Yield. It's a number not based on HP but what GF just decided to give that Pokemon to give out when defeated (though higher HP Pokemon are given higher BEY but that's a decision GF purposely makes and not guaranteed). Think about it, Audino only has 103 Base HP yet gives out way more experience than Pokemon that has higher HP. So they could just make Voltorb family and the other Mimic just have a higher BEY without touching their base stats.

13:01: 80 HP... Electrode has 60 Base HP. Also Electrode's current BEY is 172 (150 before Gen VI), which honestly isn't bad compared to other Pokemon with higher HP. If I had to guess, due to their use as a Mimic and them having a very high Speed, GF agreed they should give out a nice amount of experience. It's not boat loads like the Chansey family or Audino, but that's because those two are rarer finds while the Mimics are meant to be a "keep on toes" alarm.

13:20: Once again, ahead of the video by 12 minutes and 56 seconds.

14:10: Eh, I guess he wants Galvanize for Self-Destruct/Explosion boost... but considering his complaint it "only" gets Electric and Normal moves wouldn't that be compounding the problem? Okay, it's only a more annoying Mimic... also did he forget it faints after using Self-Destruct and Explosion? So it'll only do this once, at most knock out one of your Pokemon. Aside being a nightmare for Nuzlochers, honestly it's no big deal for everyone else. Just give your Pokemon a Revive. He's so focused on making Voltorb/Electrode the "perfect" Mimic he's completely missing the forest for the trees.

14:27: They do say idiots tend to think themselves as the geniuses, Einstein.

14:30: ... So, you want to make the Voltorb family the perfect Mimic, suggesting making them OP... but then suggest "oh and here's a counter to them that'll completely shut them down". Did you plan any of your thoughts out?

15:57: Not at all. First off, those treasure chest are really only in one place in the game, around a shipwrecked ship. Otherwise any item collecting you do is just plants, ores, and other natural materials lying around in the open. Also, the Poke Ball was JUST invented and at the moment only holds Pokemon so they're "job" as a Mimic doesn't really apply at the moment in time the game takes place. At best they could try imitating an Apricorn, hang around a tree and when someone goes to pick it up fire a blast of seeds at them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)