Ability: Blaze
Level: 5
EVs: 4 HP / 52 Atk / 84 Def / 132 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp/Stealth Rock/Taunt
- Slack Off/Taunt/Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Overheat

This set is interesting. Shout out to SilentMango for telling me to use Chimchar my fav mon. This set can be used to cripple mons. This can also prevent SS and annoying stuff. Slack off is optional with eviolite.

Overheat is just for large amount of damage and U-Turn is for switching out and reusing it later.

Last edited:

Chimchar @ Eviolite/Berry Juice
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 52 Atk / 84 Def / 132 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp/Stealth Rock/Taunt
- Slack Off/Taunt/Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Overheat

This set is interesting. Shout out to SilentMango for telling me to use Chimchar my fav mon. This set can be used to cripple mons. This can also prevent SS and annoying stuff. Slack off is optional with eviolite.

Overheat is just for large amount of damage and U-Turn is for switching out and reusing it later.
Whoa this seems cool dude. What niche does it have over utility ponyta though?

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The problem I have with Chimchar is how badly it loses to any hazard remover. It's mediocre speed tier (16) means that it is outsped by Archen, Drilbur, and Staryu -- all of which have super effective STAB moves, basically ensuring Chimchar is either forced out or unable to set up rocks. Aside from that, it's also very frail for a Fire-type. Larvesta has better defenses, a better typing defensively, and hits much harder.

Reactions: RZL
Clamperl @ DeepSeaScale
Ability- Shell Armor
EVs- 76 HP, 156 Def, 4 SpA, 236 SpD, 20 Spe
Bold Nature
-Protect
-Barrier
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Aqua Ring

Something people don't expect: defensive Clamperl. DeepSeaScale doubles it's SpD, and with Barrier and potentially Aqua Ring set up, it can stall for days. Protect to rack up burn damage and Aqua Ring recovery, Barrier to make it's defenses completely insane, scald for the burn and Clamperl not being complete Taunt bait, and either Ice Beam to stop Water Absorb and Grass Types, or Aqua Ring for passive recovery. Needs Wish support either way. Spritzee it a good partner because not only can it provide that support, it can also cure Clamperl of status, to which it seems to attract.

Clamperl @ DeepSeaScale
Ability- Shell Armor
EVs- 76 HP, 156 Def, 4 SpA, 236 SpD, 20 Spe
Bold Nature
-Protect
-Barrier
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Aqua Ring

Something people don't expect: defensive Clamperl. DeepSeaScale doubles it's SpD, and with Barrier and potentially Aqua Ring set up, it can stall for days. Protect to rack up burn damage and Aqua Ring recovery, Barrier to make it's defenses completely insane, scald for the burn and Clamperl not being complete Taunt bait, and either Ice Beam to stop Water Absorb and Grass Types, or Aqua Ring for passive recovery. Needs Wish support either way. Spritzee it a good partner because not only can it provide that support, it can also cure Clamperl of status, to which it seems to attract.
Er idk. 14 sp att isnt the great tbh and aqua ring is not a good recovery. You can barely kill things and other thing will kill you.

Er idk. 14 sp att isnt the great tbh and aqua ring is not a good recovery. You can barely kill things and other thing will kill you.
The point isn't SpA. The point is to get the burn and stall. I guess it you really wanted too, you could run toxic over Ice Beam/Aqua Ring. I added the part about wish support for that exact reason as well.

I am sorry but defensive clamperl is not a thing for a reason, and in all scenarios something like defensive Chou does the same job better, also you are not stalling anything with 18 unboosted defense, Knock Off is way too common, and furthermore this set is just garbage.

18 Defense is like equivalent to Drilbur's eviolite defenses -12 Evio eg some boosters defenses with Eviolite-...the ubiquity of Knock Off makes it even less usable, I am also going to mention recover once more because if you plan on staying in to stall Aqua Ring is shit. So, please...it is an interesting set, but Knock Off is way too common. Clamperl was a threatening sweeper when it had DST, and Knock Off didn't exist, in bulk so like Gen 5, Gen 4 (DST was banned I believe).

I am sorry but defensive clamperl is not a thing for a reason, and in all scenarios something like defensive Chou does the same job better, also you are not stalling anything with 18 unboosted defense, Knock Off is way too common, and furthermore this set is just garbage.

18 Defense is like equivalent to Drilbur's eviolite defenses -12 Evio eg some boosters defenses with Eviolite-...the ubiquity of Knock Off makes it even less usable, I am also going to mention recover once more because if you plan on staying in to stall Aqua Ring is shit. So, please...it is an interesting set, but Knock Off is way too common. Clamperl was a threatening sweeper when it had DST, and Knock Off didn't exist, in bulk so like Gen 5, Gen 4 (DST was banned I believe).
The ideal situation would be having your opponent switch out into their counter for the shell smash variant, and use Barrier. I realize this set is situational, but if it can get a burn, along with its increased defenses due to the Barriers and DeepSeaScale, it can most likely manage to take something out with its attacks and the residual damage from the burn before dying.

The ideal situation would be having your opponent switch out into their counter for the shell smash variant, and use Barrier. I realize this set is situational, but if it can get a burn, along with its increased defenses due to the Barriers and DeepSeaScale, it can most likely manage to take something out with its attacks and the residual damage from the burn before dying.
Sadly most counters to Clamperl run Knock Off.

Yes, Sadly. Ferroseed and Munchlax are set-up fodder though.

Two Pokemon and by the way Ferroseed gets Knock Off as well. Munchlax can wall that set to death with rest. I think enough has been said. This is definitely not a gem in my eyes because it heavily relies on surprise, and once found out is really weak and inferior to most of the metagame. Also, so you set up a barrier, Snivy then comes in, uses Knock Off and sets up a Leaf Storm and proceeds to sweep.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im still alive, just not playing as much. here's some lc uu mons i've been toying with recently.

Thotlett (Ducklett) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 20 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Scald

I'm p sure i wasnt first to come up with this but imma put it on the map bc why not.

Ducklett suffers from the shadow of other Water/Flying types like Wingull and Mantyke who boast better speed (Wingull) and defenses (Mantyke) However that doesnt mean Ducklett is totally useless. This set aims to make the most of out Ducklett's ability in Hydration which neither of them have. Thankfully it's not been "fixed" like Leaf Guard so you'll always be woken up at the end of the turn and able to abuse getting your HP back without being status blocked. Toss in Rain Dance so Ducklett can stay in forever and not have to switchout constantly.

One other note is that Scald will do the same amount of damage that hurricane will do under rain but scald is scald and having burns to offset physical mons is nice so leave it at that. I've found this set to be more successful in LC UU more than LC however.

Pirch (Helioptile) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 16 Def / 188 SpA / 100 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null HP
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Glare
- Surf
- U-turn

New EVs. New IVs. Same old set.

Here's the deal, Helioptile doesnt hit hard enough and well, sometimes you wanna bitchslap something instead of pinch it. Max SpA investment hits 15 points, adding a bit more bite to Helio's attacks. If you wanna use Thunder to push the damage to the extreme, i advise you toss this on rain. You wont be disappointed. Glare is to paralyse your opponents and nothing more. Surf is here for Grounds who think they are slick. Speaking of Grounds, U-Turn is a fantastic bait and switch for Ground switch-ins. It's doing piss-all damage but not being cockblocked by Grounds is prolly the bees knees.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
er iirc, Mambo was the one who made that ducklett set
ah noted. but in the end even if this has been brought up, iunno if anyone is runnin the same spread as me. if someone else brought this up, my bad.
My Ducklett set was much more defensive, Jac's Ducklett set is much more shitty n_n

Turtwig @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Turtwig is an okay mon. Despite the fact of being weak to U-Turn, Turtwig has some ways to shine actually.
First, he is the only grass mon able to set Stealth Rocks. Second, its excellent statistics. With the spread, Turtwig reach 25/21/18 bulk, who is really good, and 16 atk. Also he has a good recovery move and have some useful fillers and options such as Screens, Leech Seed, and even a special version of the lead with Leaf Storm and Earth Power, with a decent spatk (45 BS).

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Turtwig @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Turtwig is an okay mon. Despite the fact of being weak to U-Turn, Turtwig has some ways to shine actually.
First, he is the only grass mon able to set Stealth Rocks. Second, its excellent statistics. With the spread, Turtwig reach 25/21/18 bulk, who is really good, and 16 atk. Also he has a good recovery move and have some useful fillers and options such as Screens, Leech Seed, and even a special version of the lead with Leaf Storm and Earth Power, with a decent spatk (45 BS).
As much as I love turtwig, not only is it not the only Grassmon that can set rocks, it's also completely outclasseed by that Mon, Lileep

I would not say totally outclassed. Lileep's rock type isn't a benediction, cause Pawn, Foo, Magnemite, Timburr, cause break ground resist who is really usefull when you saw that Drilbur is one of the most played lead.

But yeah, I stupidly forgot Lileep, I'm not used to play this mon. However he has always Double Screens + SR and better offensive presence, but that's a very little point, so yeah, thanks to rectify it.

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 188 Atk / 76 Def / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge/Rock tomb
- Bulk Up/ Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

So this isn't your run of the hill Chespin set-up set. Basically this set is to destroy pokemon. Drain Punch (no earthquake ;-;) is for Pawniard and other Steel types that resist grass and rock moves. Rock tomb is too basically destroy incoming Ponytas or Larvestas. And with 13 speed, you can basically outspeed Larvestas (non-scarf) and Ponytas and kill them. Stone Edge if you are more offensive and can predict switch-ins such as Fletchling. Seed Bomb is for stab. Bulk Up and Synthesis is optional. This can bluff as a set-up Chespin and murder teams. :D

Calcs:

188+ Atk Chespin Stone Edge vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

188+ Atk Chespin Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 10-12 (47.6 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (I don’t remember common set.)

188+ Atk Chespin Rock Tomb vs. 76 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Larvesta: 16-20 (69.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

188+ Atk Chespin Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

188+ Atk Chespin Seed Bomb vs. 76 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Chinchou: 14-18 (56 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(P.S. Someone tell me how to make Calc: a spoiler button)

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What does Bulk Up Chespin have over Timburr, or even Bulk Up Intimidate Scraggy? Gastly isn't exactly used on every team anymore, which was the main reason me and Mambo used Chespin for right after Misdreavus era. I think Bulk Up was even suggested but was discounted bc its inferior to other Bulk Up users. I don't really get the point of using BU Chespin over BU Timburr : (

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)