Resource Hidden Gems in LC

HIDDEN GEMS IN LC

approved by cute blarajan

Hello everyone, this thread is to discuss about Pokémon that have "low" usage but they are still worth using and also share some movesets that they can run. Without any further delay I'll start out with a Pokémon that is loved by the whole community because of its cuteness but hated because of its annoyance, WYNAUT:

With access to Shadow Tag one of the most annoying and useful abilities (even though Ghost types can escape it now and Knock Off's buff made it less of a threat) and accompanied by CounterCoat Wynaut proved itself previously as a main Meditite check but once the Meditate Pokémon got banned Wynaut's usage dropped hugely and people forgot. Encore can easily cripple some Pokémon and Safeguard to counter slow walls like Foongus. The main set the Wynaut runs is this one:

Wynaut (F) @ Berry Juice
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 236 HP / 132 Def / 132 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond / Safeguard / Tickle

EVs give it max possible HP making it hit 29 HP (totaling 49 with Berry Juice), Counter and Mirror Coat make Wynaut what it currently is and form the CounterCoat combo, Encore is to lock Pokémon in one move and cripple them and, Destiny Bond as a last resort and Safeguard to counter slow walls. Speed EVs can be used to be able to outspeed Pokémon like Ferroseed and cripple them.

> not running 11 spd

Smh
I said that the set I put is the main one which means that there are other sets that can be used perfectly, and I think that any less EVs in defensive stats or HP will make Wynaut fail on its role to be able to live some Super Effective attacks, hit back and get healed by Berry Juice. I also mentioned in the set's description that you can add Speed EVs to be faster than some defensive Pokémon.

Also, I hope this thread works out as an "exhibition" of underrated Pokémon in LC, so if you have a comment about a previous set it would be really nice to accompany it by a "hidden gem", thanks. :)

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this guy to some success lately. While he isn't exactly a hidden gem, he can tank hits like a champion with his untouchable Eviolite and recover off the measly damage with Recover.
(no east form smh)
Shellos @ Eviolite
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 228 HP / 132 Def / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Yawn / Stockpile
- Recover

This thing can come in on Pawniard and Mienfoo quite comfortably and begin setting up Stockpiles or hitting them with Scald/Earth Power. 27/21/21 defenses are impressive, especially as its item cannot be removed by Knock Off, making it a good member on a team who needs their items.

idc if im slow i wanna get hit so i can bounce shit back.
Counter and Mirror Coat have -6 priority or something like that iirc so you could go 252+ Spe with a Scarf and still bounce back.

Also does Normal Gem count as a hidden gem because how often do you see it anymore? Meowth, and... uh... that's it.

I suppose that, to avoid being yelled at, I should, like, contribute by throwing something together that might or might not work.

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 40 SpA / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Meet the extremely-Knock Off-fearing CroCune of LC, or the closest thing that exists. The given EVs give 26/16/14 defenses before Eviolite, as well as an extra point in SpA for lack of a better place to put it, and is best brought out after as many Knock Off users are gone as possible. Berry Juice can be used in place of Eviolite on this set, for ease of getting those first Calm Minds off, although it's recommended against as you lose some precious physical bulk. Regenerator is forgone for Oblivious in this case, as once you have enough boosts switching just feels wrong, and with Oblivious defending from Taunt, you're that much safer from potentially getting screwed over.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Natu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 196 SpA / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null HP
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball

Nice clean up late game, and can be a good switch into stuff like Ferroseed or anything else that will be Magic Bounce bait. It's a pretty self explanatory set.

I dont run 11 speed and all i use wynaut for is trapping knock off mons at full hp so i can like it and ohko them back. idc if im slow i wanna get hit so i can bounce shit back.
Have fun struggling with beating walls/timburr. Btw don't use Wynaut to absorb Knock Offs, That's a horrible way to use it.

Venipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 240 Atk / 44 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Pin Missile
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor

Great toxic spikes user and a decent revenge killer to things. HP ground is for Croagunk/Magnemite. You can usually tell in team preview if this thing is going to be great or a total waste of time.

Make sure you have decent ways to beat Misdreavus and Fletchling

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Another poke that was previously used as a Meditite counter but has since been mostly ignored -

Elgyem @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 236 HP / 236 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave / Calm Mind

With Analytic and its high base Special Attack, Psychic actually deals a lot of damage to most switch-ins. Hidden Power Fighting hits Pawniard hard. Thunder Wave cripples a variety of switch-ins, while Calm Mind could be used to turn Elgyem into a win condition once key threats have been removed. The speed EVs might seem redundant with Analytic, but Analytic is mostly for switch-ins, anyway.
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Psychic vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 12-15 (52.1 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Elgyem: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 40-48 (190.4 - 228.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Psychic vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 22-27 (95.6 - 117.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Elgyem: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Psychic vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Another poke that was previously used as a Meditite counter but has since been mostly ignored -

Elgyem @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 236 HP / 236 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave / Calm Mind

With Analytic and its high base Special Attack, Psychic actually deals a lot of damage to most switch-ins. Hidden Power Fighting hits Pawniard hard. Thunder Wave cripples a variety of switch-ins, while Calm Mind could be used to turn Elgyem into a win condition once key threats have been removed. The speed EVs might seem redundant with Analytic, but Analytic is mostly for switch-ins, anyway.
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Psychic vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 12-15 (52.1 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Elgyem: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 40-48 (190.4 - 228.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Psychic vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 22-27 (95.6 - 117.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Elgyem: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
236+ SpA Analytic Elgyem Psychic vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Note if using calm mind you could go max def, as it tanks insane shit with max def max hp (LO krow couldn't 2HKO it last gen to show its bulk).

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
Hello please use me. This set its incredible to deal with p much any physical attacker, and support the team via roar/rocks. This thing's bulk its enormous, and even after knock off it wont be dying easily (but ideally try not to get the evio out)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
Hello please use me. This set its incredible to deal with p much any physical attacker, and support the team via roar/rocks. This thing's bulk its enormous, and even after knock off it wont be dying easily (but ideally try not to get the evio out)
ya this set is way better than standard, cause vulpix is still roasting your ass if its LO.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have fun struggling with beating walls/timburr. Btw don't use Wynaut to absorb Knock Offs, That's a horrible way to use it.

im sorry im absorbing one knock off a game and it's usually gunna deal over half so i okho the mon back.

this is the set im currently running:

196+ Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 156 HP / 212+ Def Wynaut: 18-22 (64.2 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 156 HP / 212 Def Wynaut: 26-32 (92.8 - 114.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
236 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 156 HP / 212+ Def Wynaut: 18-22 (64.2 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
188 Atk Croagunk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 156 HP / 212+ Def Wynaut: 14-18 (50 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ Atk Scraggy Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 156 HP / 212+ Def Wynaut: 26-32 (92.8 - 114.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

So only Dark STAB ones are dangerous.

Also it's unimanginbly hard to avoid knock off, and killing the mon is better imo if i need to sac my Wynaut. It's served it's purpose. Trap and kill a threat.

It's a matter of efficience. You can outspeed timburr and rekt it. Same with gunk. At the very least you're killing more stuff like various walls, alongside what you are already supposed to kill. Plus you even get the opportunity to kill more than one Pokemon.

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
I've been using this guy to some success lately. While he isn't exactly a hidden gem, he can tank hits like a champion with his untouchable Eviolite and recover off the measly damage with Recover.
(no east form smh)
Shellos @ Eviolite
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 228 HP / 132 Def / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Yawn / Stockpile
- Recover

This thing can come in on Pawniard and Mienfoo quite comfortably and begin setting up Stockpiles or hitting them with Scald/Earth Power. 27/21/21 defenses are impressive, especially as its item cannot be removed by Knock Off, making it a good member on a team who needs their items.
Generally the same as it's OU set, with eviolite though...also, I love it. ruins All the Knock off spam.

Corphish @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 12 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Switcheroo
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

I started using Krabby but it lacked priority, so I went to this and its amazing. It hits like a truck, and it when foongus or chinchou comes in I just switcheroo and cripple them. I have tried Swords Dance and Dragon Dance, but I like this set the most and i find it the most effective.

P.S. No need for 13 speed all that does is make you speed tie with Chinchou.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader

Mankey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Assurance

Mankey is a mon, often overlooked. At least 90% of the time, it is highly outclassed by Mienfoo. Yet its access it Close Combat allows it to hold a tiny niche as a scarfer over Mienfoo as it is more powerful than Drain Punch, and doesn't come with the the nasty chance to miss or the detrimental loss of 50% of your health when this miss does occur. One of the only things Mankey cannot do just as well as a Scarf Mienfoo is switch in and out of play with relative ease. Not a perfect mon by any means, but it can be used to great effect.

As an after thought, I forgot to mention that Defiant allows mankey to be a threat against Webs offense as scarf negates the drop leaving you at +2 with 16/17 speed opening up the possibility to punch holes into the opposition, something Mienfoo cannot claim to do.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 68 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse / Low Sweep
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Payback

Chespin has always been overlooked, however lately he has earned so well deserved attention. His awesomeness comes from both the ability Bulletproof and fine natural bulk. Bulletproof grants an unhealthy amount of set up opportunities, so naturally Curse is amazing. After a few boosts, Chespin can take on Fletchling which usually comes in to revenge kill or with Volt Switch/U-turn. But what makes Chespin a real gem is the sheer number of common pokemon it completely shuts down. Foongus can only retaliate with Clear Smog or HP Fighting, Drilbur can't break through it, Croagunk honestly can't even wall it effectively as it loses unless it run Sludge Wave, Missy finds chespin irritating, Bellsprout hates Chespin with a passion, and the list goes on. All in all, while not flawless, Chespin certainly has more than a small niche, yet is somehow relatively unknown.

Alternatively, Low Sweep can be run to nab the KO on Pawniard which would normally pester Chespin for as long as it is around, or until Chespin gains enough boosts to beat it (+3 is needed for the secure 2HKO).

Last edited:

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Payback

Chespin has always been overlooked, however lately he has earned so well deserved attention. His awesomeness comes from both the ability Bulletproof and fine natural bulk. Bulletproof grants an unhealthy amount of set up opportunities, so naturally Curse is amazing. After a few boosts, Chespin can take on Fletchling which usually comes in to revenge kill or with Volt Switch/U-turn. But what makes Chespin a real gem is the sheer number of common pokemon it completely shuts down. Foongus can only retaliate with Clear Smog or HP Fighting, Drilbur can't break through it, Croagunk honestly can't even wall it effectively as it loses unless it run Sludge Wave, Missy finds chespin irritating, Bellsprout hates Chespin with a passion, and the list goes on. All in all, while not flawless, Chespin certainly has more than a small niche, yet is somehow relatively unknown.
Spikes, is a really good option to consider and Missy doesnt really take much from payback and can set up in it's face.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Spikes, is a really good option to consider and Missy doesnt really take much from payback and can set up in it's face.
That's because Fiend's spread isnt all that great. Chespin has become my new bae in LC and I've found that 68 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD lets it retain some of its bulk while still nabbing the 2HKO on Missy with Payback. Also, Low Sweep is like the greatest thing ever, and imo should be used over Curse to hit Pawniard and knock some mons down to speed with Chespin.

Fiend

someguy
LC Leader
I've personally found that spread the best as I can set up when they still have a special attacker left and usually survive the encounter handly. I'll slash low sweep however and edit my post.

Not too sure Yagura if this is a hidden gem in LC,but I'll try.

Wooper @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Impish Nature
236 HP/156 Defense/156 SpDef
- Stockpile
- Earthquake/Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
I bet you didn't see this one coming, didn't you? Well, with the wooper evolution chain, the key to their success is their ability unaware, which negates all stat boosts of your opponent's pokemon. Even though quagsire and wooper don't have outstanding stats, that niche makes them one of the most stally-est pokes around with access to stockpile, recover,and a great typing of Water/Ground. In OU,quagsire is a boss with its good defences and attack,but here in LC, wooper is less viable. As you know,LC is a more hyper offensive tier than a stall tier. Since OU is kind of a mix of both, quagsire is very viable. Wooper in LC is a pity since Knock off is everywhere and its defences are below average. Plus, this poor thing is outclassed by shellos. The best thing to do if you're using wooper is to have stockpile and recover,the key moves to its success and the amazing ability unaware so potential sweepers' stat boosts dont effect you. You should use recover and stockpile at the right moments so you can play this set correctly. Toxic is for whittling down on your opponent's pokes while you stockpile and recover away. For attacking moves, earthquake and scald are the best moves in your arsenal. Personally, I would use earthquake so that poison types don't wall you since they're immune to toxic. Oh, and steel mons to. Overall, wooper can be a devastating threat to use if your opponent is not ready for it.​

Last edited:
Zorua (F) Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 200 SAtk / 40 SDef / 236 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Extrasensory

Lemme clarify something here first. Zorua isn't a sweeper and Zorua isn't (primarily) a wall breaker.
Its a lure dammit. Otherwise just use houndour.
Anyways its pretty obvious what this set does. Disguise yourself as a poke you want to sweep/wallbreak with and break down there checks/counters for them to do there job. Good disguises include misdreavus, croagunk and anything else weak to gunk/pawn. Of course you don't HAVE to run nasty plot. You could run a physical/mixed set with knock off to soften up the opposing team or a scarf set but these tend to lack power (unless you use SD on the former but that's gey).

Last edited:
Zorua (F) Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 200 SAtk / 40 SDef / 236 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Extrasensory

Lemme clarify something here first. Zorua isn't a sweeper and Zorua isn't (primarily) a wall breaker.
Its a lure dammit. Otherwise just use houndour.
Anyways its pretty obvious what this set does. Disguise yourself as a poke you want to sweep/wallbreak with and break down there checks/counters for them to do there job. Good disguises include misdreavus, croagunk and anything else weak to gunk/pawn. Of course you don't HAVE to run nasty plot. You could run a physical/mixed set with knock off to soften up the opposing team or a scarf set but these tend to lack power (unless you use SD on the former but that's gey).
I do agree with you,Ti-82, Zorua can make your opponent play INSANE mind games to find out if your fake poke is a zorua or not. The downside to zorua is the fairy types. There are so many good fairy types in LC that wall zorua such as spritzee and snubbull.Even if zorua can use hidden power steel or poison to counter those two, it won't OHKO them. Other than that major downside, zorua is a really fast and hard hitter. Nasty plot as you mentioned is very good with zorua's above average attacking stats,but zorua is super frail though. You could do a lot of cleaning up with zorua with dark pulse and extrasensory once all those threats to it are gone. I consider it a good hidden gem in LC!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)