ORAS NU He's choking! Someone give him the Heimlich! (Peaked #1 sometime ig)

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hello RMT!

I'm back with a new rate my team, this time a more serious one that was adapted from an older team of mine for week one of LTPL, which I then used to subsequently choke for a good 5 minutes with until I eventually lost. But that doesn't matter, because morally I won, probably. I'm doing this because I almost certainly wont use this team much, even thought it's really fun and interesting to play around with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought Process

So the original version of the team was made to capitalise on how powerful both Choice Specs Mesprit and Rock Polish Torterra are, due to their combined insane coverage and unique synergy. I personally think that Torterra as a pokemon in general is slept on by a large part of NU, due to how many weaknesses it brings to a team, making it a rather tricky thing to actually build around; nevertheless with the right support it can smash most teams with relative ease. Specs Mesprit was a no-brainer, as it beats almost every defensive wall that Torterra struggles to break with its great coverage. The main issue with building with these two is that they rather restrict what other teammates I'm able to use.

The first thing that my original core struggled/struggles with is normal types such as Tauros and Zangoose, which are able to basically shred through both without much trouble, so I needed the sturdiest normal resist available in the tier, Regirock. Regirock allowed me to reliably beat things such as Zangoose and Tauros through a combination of Thunder Wave and Counter, along with a Chople Berry to semi-check fighting types. Really, it was rather easy choice for the team as it also offers Stealth Rock support.

Hariyama was an absolute must, and should be on almost every team that contains a Torterra as it's able to reliably check both fire and ice types thanks to a combination of Thick Fat and Assault Vest. It also gives a reasonable check to Jynx, which is a troublesome thing to face for most teams, especially this one. I opted to put Earthquake over Fake Out, as Garbodor was annoying and could switch in freely and set-up vs me.

Next I had to have a pokemon that could reliably check fighting types, have a ground immunity (due to Mesprit not being a defensive variant) and something to beat Mega-Audino, as my only set-up mon cannot beat it one-on-one. I decided that Rocky Helmet would be a better item, to pressure fighting types and overall physical attackers more. It's a fairly standard set apart from Rocky Helmet instead of Black Sludge however.

This was a rather difficult spot to fill. I needed something that was able to deal with fast pokemon such as Mismagius, Jynx, Rotom, etc. but I also needed a soft check to electric types in general. Finally deciding on Raichu in the end, which is an underappreciated pokemon in NU (mainly due to the popularity of Lanturn). I was able to supply Knock Off support and great coverage in Focus Blast and Grass Knot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Breakdown

TTFTWIN (Torterra) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

The shining star of the team (at least sometimes) is Torterra. In the current meta and the last few ones it has been shrugged off as a rather sub-par pokemon, and I'd agree in terms of the defensive variants, but the offensive variants are extremely potent at the moment, being able to reliably check almost every ground type and set-up on most for free. Grass coverage is what makes Torterra good, as Wood Hammer is one of the few niches it has over fellow Rock Polisher Rhydon (the more favoured sweeper) along with being able to Rock Polish in the face of things like Mismagius and Hex Rotom. I decided to go Adamant, as it doesn't miss much between the gap and only ties with base 91 speed Scarfers such as the previously mentioned Rotom; the loss in power is also noticeable too. Whilst Torterra can often find it hard to set-up some games, the sheer fact that it can threaten most teams is something overlooked with it.

Kiyo'sGroundResist (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Psychic

I promised a resist and I bloody well gave one. All jokes aside Choice Specs Mesprit is renown for being an incredibly tricky pokemon to deal with, and it just so happens to deal with most of Torterra's common checks (Gourgiest-XL, Weezing, Vileplume, etc.) extremely easily. This is just about the standard set but instead of going Modest I opted to go Timid so I was able to out speed other Modest Mesprits and Adamant pokemon such as Kangaskhan. I also decided to go for Shadow Ball over Healing Wish because this team find stall incredibly hard to deal with and Bronzor often switch into Mesprit thinking it can set-up Stealth Rocks for free.

Stags (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Counter

The standard Regirock spread. I really didn't need to do anything overly fancy with this team slot beside check normal types and offer rocks for my team, with the added bonus of Thunder Wave acting as a form of speed control to help cripple faster threats to my team. Chople Berry and Counter was chosen over the standard Leftovers set because it allowed me to have another fighting check and an overall physical check.

Kiyo (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Hariyama was chosen for the obvious reason, a solid fire and ice check, which is something the team desperately needed due to Torterra being weak to both and the only resist so far being Regirock as a fire resist. It's basically the standard Assault Vest set, but I modified the EVs so that I could speed creep standard Piloswine, which causes my team a lot of bother due to ice/ground being insane coverage. Earthquake was put over Fake Out because this team has no hazard control and Garbodor usually takes the opportunity to set-up spikes against Hariyama. Bullet Punch has the added bonus of being able to knock out Jynx after rocks if sash and straight ohko if its Scarf or another variant.

Lucianvega (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

This is the bog-standard Weezing set with Rocky Helmet over Black Sludge so I could punish physical attackers more. I badly needed a fighting check due to Mesprit being the Specs set, so this seemed like the obvious choice, being able to act as a ground resist and allowing me to check slower and more bulkier pokemon such as Mega-Audino, which the rest of my team fail to break. After some testing I opted for Pain Split over Toxic Spikes, because there was rarely a time I saw myself using it and Pain Split helped my longevity.

GottaGoFAST (Raichu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

One of my all time favourite 'mons (fuck you Pikachu, punk ass), Raichu was chosen for the utility it gave to the team. I needed a fast team mate that was able to deal with the likes of Jynx, Mismagius, Rotom, etc. but I also needed something that could offensively check water types and offer a form of momentum that wasn't hard switching. Enter the Dark Horse Raichu, which fulfilled all those requirements pretty decently. Knock Off allows it to cripple a lot of my opponents pokemon, more importantly deal with Jynx, Grass Knot deals with Gastrodon and Quagsire, Focus Blast helps it deal with steel types and Volt Switch (which was chosen over Thunderbolt) gives me a useful form of momentum.

Threats

Hazard stacking

Oh boy, this is annoying to face if I don't play/predict well. This team lacks any form of hazard control, meaning that hazards are extremely deadly to this team. I tried to mitigate this by having things such as Earthquake on Hariyama to lure Garbodor, but it's still a threat nonetheless.

Water types

Due to the lack of water resists (apparently Assault Vest Hariyama isn't a water resist, crazy) they can be a struggle to deal with; I actually insta-lose to rain unless my opponent has a seizure half way through the game. If I play correctly they're not that big of a threat however.

Psychic types

My psychic resist is Specs Mesprit... Yeah...
These are probably the hardest of the team's threats to deal with because of how deadly things such as Jynx and Mesprit can be, requiring me to play incredibly carefully around them and chip them down (unlike in LTPL lol), but with careful thought they can be dealt with.

The team

TFTWIN (Torterra) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Kiyo'sGroundResist (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Psychic

Stags (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Counter

Kiyo (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Lucianvega (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

GottaGoFAST (Raichu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Shoutouts

There's a lot so sorry if I group em :(
Bouff and TTFTW because they helped me make this, you guys are awesome!
nv love this guy
Eternally also love this guy
Shaneghoul this guy is pretty chill
Allstar what a scrub
My LTPL team, because this is the first team and these guys are so welcoming n_n
The NU room, I love all you guys so much, you lighten up my day :D
Forza England, you guys rock except Teddeh because I heard he sucks bad x.x

And to everyone else ^.^ Sorry I didn't mention lots of specific people, but that would take hella forever!

Replay(s?)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-210914

Just for mah boi Killintime

Last edited:

Threw

cohiba
Hey there, yogster. Wanted to leave ya a friendly rate, seeing as how you didn't have one yet.

As you pointed out, this team is lacking in the water resist, psychic resist, and hazard removal categories (although i sympathize with you here, running removal is super lame). Therefore, i believe that Scarf Shiftry > Raichu is an appropriate swap. This change will not completely solve all your problems with these groups of threats, but it does all of the following: it gives you a solid revenge killer for +2 Samurott; a Psychic immunity to discourage Mesprit and friends from just spamming their STAB moves with no repercussions; emergency hazard removal with Defog in the last slot; and it gives you even better speed control than Raichu did, as you have something that outspeeds the entire unboosted tier, particularly Swellow, so you can still revenge kill the threats you mentioned just as if not more effectively. The only relevant thing you miss out on is the pivoting ability of Volt Switch, but you have a rather sturdy defensive core that I believe makes this less imperative, and the combination of Regi and Yama gives you very good answers to all the tier's more offensive Electric types, so Lightning Rod most likely won't be missed.

>

Shiftry @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Defog

Neat team overall, Tort is a really underappreciated threat. Best of luck in the rest of your LTPL run!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)