Project heat

Are you sick of corv defogging on your rocker? Is torn-t u-turning over your team? Is volt switch just the worst? Do I have a mon for you!

:ss/stunfisk: :ss/stunfisk: :ss/stunfisk:

That's right, bitches. The god has arrived.

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers/Passho Berry/Yache Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

It takes hits. Earthquake is because most steels (read: heatran) are specially defensive these days.
Toxic is for lando. You could run scald but it does no damage and this thing deals with enough 30%s. The whole point is to paralyze physical attackers and passive mons and be able to cripple and chunk common defoggers. Helmet is to add to the U-turn punish, leftovers keep fisk alive. Yache and Passho specifically let you mess with weavile and urshifu bc multi-hits are prime static material.

Has bad longevity, but once it's paralyzed two or three mons it's done its job.

Pair with a spiker.

Invites other sr users in for free, so don't use it on teams that are weak to hazards. This is best on hazard stack, so you shouldn't be defogging a ton anyway.

Tagging Martin who is, or at least was, a fellow stunfisk enthusiast.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
havent posted around here in a million years but ive actually got something to say this time so wynaut.

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Gengar is honestly a mad underrated pokemon. Its strong, its fast, its got the awesome ghost STAB that seems to be so useful these days. This actually has real advantages over the popular Dragapult and Blacephalon, since its stronger than Pult and faster than Blace, but another major selling point for it is its movepool. Sure it hasn't got fire STAB or coverage like the other two but it gets focus blast which is literally the best coverage option a ghost type can ask for (accuracy issues aside). It also have other nice options like taunt, NP, dazzling gleam, poison STAB, etc etc etc. now there are the sets that instantly comes to mind like NP + LO, NP + Sub, Specs, etcetera that im not gonna talk about here. Instead, ill mainly talk about 2 (and a half) more heat sets here. without further ado:

:ss/gengar:
Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Trick
- Sludge Wave / Trick
- Destiny Bond

Dbond scarf Gengar is goated lmao. First lets discuss the merits of scarf gengar in the first place. It has trick, which is an obvious plus, and it outspeeds dragapult and ohkoes which can be super valuable given dragapult's dominance rn. Now why am i not using blace instead of this? Gengar has focus blast, which has godly coverage combined with shadowball. focus blast manages to scrape by with a 2hko on standard sdef Heatran and does a minimum of 48% to max sdef ferro, and keep in mind this is a scarfed set, which shows that gengar's power is nothing to scoff at (though it could be better, i mean youre doing only 50-ish with a 120 bp supereffective attack lol). Gengar also has sludgewave if it wants to use it, which hits actually notable mons rn like clef and fini. Sludge wave is also a more powerful stab move than shadow ball which is nice and stuff. And this can outsped scarf/timid +1 kartana which is really really nice considering scarf blace and pult gets mauled by it.
Now, dbond. dbond can let you pull some crazy stunts and grab kos you normally wouldnt be able to get. And dbond can be used against quite a bit of dangerous threats, including volca, garchomp, dragonite, weavile (lo +2 ice shard ohkoes tho), arctozolt, zera, etc etc etc. the best thing is, they will never see it coming, and will just eq away with their garchomp or something and get themselves killed. They dont even have to be out-of-control setup sweepers, since dbond can just remove any problematic threats for your team, though it is a bit prediction reliant especially since you’re choiced. Even if dbond fails (and you some how got out of that alive) the threat of dbond can force exploitative plays by the opponent. You’d want timid for scarftana, scarftini, +1 volca, and other mons between the base 95 and 110 range. A surprise mon that can unexpectedly remove a key threat while being strong and fast enough with trick for it to not be too one-dimentional. Great revenge killer, try it.

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 248-294 (72 - 85.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Fini: 248-294 (88.2 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 290-344 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 200-236 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 170-202 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zeraora: 159-187 (50.1 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 198-234 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 322-380 (76.4 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult: 332-392 (104.7 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Arctozolt: 350-414 (109 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (half this under veil)
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 264-312 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 234-276 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 136-162 (47 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery (sludgewave ohkoes)

keep in mind that this is meant to be a revenge killer (or lategame cleaner if you can manage it) so its not meant to ohko stuff right off the bat.

Gengar @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (im not sure how rounding work but evs should let you get into salac range afte 3 subs, tweak it if it doesnt do that. Sidenote: 52 sdef evs with no hp investment lets you avoid the ohko from 0spa eatran’s earth power after rocks, tweak it maybe so you get a good hp number idk)
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball / Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Sludge Wave

Not sure if i posted this set around here yet but here goes anyway. Subsalac gengar is a really fun mon to use since if the opponent dont expect it (they never expect it) you can be at +2 spa +1 speed and be ready to sweep without too much issues. Anyone that played against standard np sets know that +2 gengar hits like a truck and shadowball+fmiss is so so difficult to switch into just because of its coverage. This set tries to fix the normal np sets’ main problem in that it cannot boost its speed and is prone to rk (infiltrator pult kills sub gengar despite the sub). Mons that can bring you to salac range for free or after 1 sub (with certain investments) include scarf fini, heatran, koko, torn-t (no knock), -2 specspult locked into draco (they sometimes stay in), and id zone. I will admit, this will definitely have some trouble setting up thanks to its frailty and the fact it wants to be low to sweep (which is quite problematic with hail being so popular these days), but if it works, its bound to do some major damage, if not outright sweep. an important thing to remember with this set is that sometimes you'd want gengar to take rocks chip for certain mons to take you to salac range (bb corvi being a good example). another thing is that this cannot ohko a lot of things at +2 so you'd only want it to start up when mons like corv are chipped. Sludgewave is there if you want to use it but sball+fmiss gives perfect coverage in 2 moves which is super appreciated. Against faster mons you’d wanna sub on the switch and keep subbing if they keep hitting you until you get in salac range with a sub intact. Against slower mons you’d wanna np on the switch and sub as they hit you so they’d either have to let you have a sub intact or +1 speed. Keep in mind with salac activated this is super duper prone to priority without a sub but the good news is that it outspeeds practically every relevant scarfer. And if you manage to get both boosts and a sub thats usually a gg.

IMPORTANT: knock makes you lose your salac berry, do not switch into a knock. you'll lose a massive amount of health without a +1 speed.

Do note you'll need certain investments if you wanna survive certain mons but im too lazy to deal with them.

-2 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 168-198 (64.3 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (funfact -2 shadowball cant ohko either lol)
0 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 153-181 (58.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 202-238 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
(here i realized i have 4 spd instead of 4 hp)
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar in Electric Terrain: 195-231 (74.4 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (if i still had 4 spd here it wont ohko lol)
252 SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 184-217 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 206-244 (78.6 - 93.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 192-226 (73.2 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 183-216 (69.8 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 133-157 (50.7 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 174-205 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 105-124 (40 - 47.3%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 270-318 (67.6 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (PAIN)
+2 252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 398-470 (103.1 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 340-400 (96.5 - 113.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 193-228 (63.4 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 286-337 (74.6 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 396-466 (116.1 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 315-372 (82.4 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (i understand sdef lando is better these days but i cant find the spread for it, lando isnt hard to chip down tho)
+2 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 210-247 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

yea you definately need to chip down some stuff for it to sweep, sub helps you get that extra hit in tho if you can keep it up.

Finally this (literally) cursed set:
Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Substitute / Taunt
- Shadow Ball

LOL you know what this does (or try to do) already. It usually doesnt work but its so so funny when it does and cursed body is super helpful on a frail mon trying to do this. Fast subs can sometimes let you survive intact. Also the taunt variant can be absolutely hilarious if their only attacking move gets disabled. Not a legit set, use at your own risk.

(no replays since i dont play that much anymore and i never bother to save them lol)

thank you for reading this (very badly formatted) post (if you read it). peace.

Last edited:
big dragon energy
:ss/regidrago:
Regidrago @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Explosion
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor

Very simple breaker. Get it in and click dragon energy. Your opponent must have a fairy type. The best part is the clean ohko vs Spef Landorus-t, hippowdon, and toxapex. Focus energy can be whatever you want, but sometimes you eat a knockoff from spdef ferrothorn that stay in and then you have to click draco. Shreds balance noobs. Pair with rillaboomboom for the terrain healing and because that thing kills most fairies (and everything else).

I swapped out garchomp for this and went from 1600 to 1850 really quick, so use it while it's hot.

Sand balance has no hope https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1439141459
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1437748687
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1437733997-i1dtqklqjxguvjp5722my71ejhwyqpvpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1437754555
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1438983578-j6rh2u7vasj660h7kt9jcek2pnske55pw 5-0 some junk balance

Last edited:
big dragon energy
Regidrago @ Choice Specs
Mild Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Explosion
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor

Very simple breaker. Get it in and click dragon energy. Your opponent must have a fairy type. The best part is the clean ohko vs Spef Landorus-t, hippowdon, and toxapex. Focus energy can be whatever you want, but sometimes you eat a knockoff from spdef ferrothorn that stay in and then you have to click draco. Shreds balance noobs. Pair with rillaboomboom for the terrain healing and because that thing kills most fairies (and everything else).

I swapped out garchomp for this and went from 1600 to 1850 really quick, so use it while it's hot.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1437733997-i1dtqklqjxguvjp5722my71ejhwyqpvpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1438983578-j6rh2u7vasj660h7kt9jcek2pnske55pw 5-0 some junk balance
I actually pulled this up in the damage calculator and saw it was doing 86% to Abomasnow (the default opponent in the calc) and thought huh, that's neat. Then I realized I wasn't calcing Abomasnow, it was Heatran.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 238-281 (73.6 - 86.9%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 387-456 (54.2 - 63.8%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 201-237 (50.3 - 59.3%)

Also I guess you can run Ancientpower > Focus Energy. It's doing around 50% to Clefable in two hits or 75% with a crit or Omni-boost. It also cleanly 2HKOs A-Ninetales, does ~45% to Tapu Koko, 3HKOs Lele after a hit from SR, and tbh you probably run out of PP before you can KO Tapu Fini lol. You can actually beat most of these as they switch in if you get the Omni-boost!

Super neat set. I want to give it a shot. The firepower is absolutely ridiculous.

I actually pulled this up in the damage calculator and saw it was doing 86% to Abomasnow (the default opponent in the calc) and thought huh, that's neat. Then I realized I wasn't calcing Abomasnow, it was Heatran.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 238-281 (73.6 - 86.9%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 387-456 (54.2 - 63.8%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 201-237 (50.3 - 59.3%)

Also I guess you can run Ancientpower > Focus Energy. It's doing around 50% to Clefable in two hits or 75% with a crit or Omni-boost. It also cleanly 2HKOs A-Ninetales, does ~45% to Tapu Koko, 3HKOs Lele after a hit from SR, and tbh you probably run out of PP before you can KO Tapu Fini lol. You can actually beat most of these as they switch in if you get the Omni-boost!

Super neat set. I want to give it a shot. The firepower is absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah it's really crazy. Usually the strongest dragon attack teams are ready for is specs draco from dragapult. This is like twice as strong and doesn't lose power. I'm going to nom regi to VR as well. Here are some replays vs stall at 1800-1900 where is just clicks buttons.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1439160746-0sib3uusgsy28cf20ubaaw0dg511deqpw no hope once clef dies.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1439141459 straight up ohkos magnezone

More recently, I've been using hyper beam instead of focus energy, really you're just better off running poison jab weavile as a lure.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Regidrago Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 283-333 (100.7 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

i dont really like it but sub plot with salac berry seems the most usable to me
Disclaimer that I have not tried it, but how about something like Tanga berry, for when you come in on a U-turn?

Edit: Gonna also share a cool set that I did not come up with, it was part of a team that was built for me in the UU team building lab, and I’ve been enjoying trying out variations of the set.

:SM/Zarude:
Zarude @ Misty (or any) Seed
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Acrobatics

This guy has a really solid speed tier, just out speeding Chomp, and with Darkest Lariat, he ignores other mons in setup wars. Bulk up corv or Cosmic power Mew? Zarude caren’t

Acrobatics is sick because you force something out, Bulk Up on the switch, and do a ton of damage to Buzzwole (or if you’re risky, people love clicking SD with lucha, so you just drop that guy too)

+1 252 Atk Zarude Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 416-492 (99.5 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (why is this guy so fat lol)

+1 252 Atk Zarude Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 288-340 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (if you bulk on the switch, you win the 1v1, it does 67 max w/ acro if you’re +1, 73.2 max with CC)

Since it’s faster than chomp, and doesn’t take over half from any unboosted attack besides like 4/5 hit scale shot, it’s a decent check to it too.

+1 252 Atk Zarude Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 289-342 (80.9 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (if you run grassy seed, it’s an ohko in terrain)

Last edited:
Dunno, I'd say for the lure to work you need to be able to consistently get that berry eaten. The problem with SE reducing berries is that eating them is a lot more dependant on your opponent's actions than your own, you might not have it eaten at all during some games, or too late.
:chesto-berry: chesto rest belch :hydreigon: ?
= Longetivity against :heatran:
Problem is number of moves :
_rest belch Dpulse Nplot
_rest belch fire-spin earthP (alongside Tspikes ?)

I was just having proposition, don't know for working or not.
Better berry control for belch at first.
Status removal (toxic :heatran: & tankchomp) and one-turn full heal : being fast and bulky help.
Coming back on big fires :victini: :blacephalon:
I get your point about status but rest is generally a worse move in general than roost as you only have a one time recovery and a worse berry in general. I personally don't really like either of the 2 recovery moves on belch set but sub,np,dpulse and belch with salac is the way to go imo. You could also use EP over pulse too if you wanna have a better MU against tran tho this set is only really there for fini and clef.Still your idea might worth a shot as it's heat thread

Edit:sy I didn't notice I wrote belch over rest there so i edited there as well

Disclaimer that I have not tried it, but how about something like Tanga berry, for when you come in on a U-turn?

Edit: Gonna also share a cool set that I did not come up with, it was part of a team that was built for me in the UU team building lab, and I’ve been enjoying trying out variations of the set.

:SM/Zarude:
Zarude @ Misty (or any) Seed
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Acrobatics

This guy has a really solid speed tier, just out speeding Chomp, and with Darkest Lariat, he ignores other mons in setup wars. Bulk up corv or Cosmic power Mew? Zarude caren’t

Acrobatics is sick because you force something out, Bulk Up on the switch, and do a ton of damage to Buzzwole (or if you’re risky, people love clicking SD with lucha, so you just drop that guy too)

+1 252 Atk Zarude Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 416-492 (99.5 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (why is this guy so fat lol)

+1 252 Atk Zarude Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 288-340 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (if you bulk on the switch, you win the 1v1, it does 67 max w/ acro if you’re +1, 73.2 max with CC)

Since it’s faster than chomp, and doesn’t take over half from any unboosted attack besides like 4/5 hit scale shot, it’s a decent check to it too.

+1 252 Atk Zarude Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 289-342 (80.9 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (if you run grassy seed, it’s an ohko in terrain)
I actually tried this but with a bulky variant with a 252 HP/ 252 Atk / 4 SpD spread, replacing the seed with leftovers, and replacing acro with Jungle Healing and its legit way better than I expected. It crushes most mons that rely on physical damage to bypass it(even if it is scared of U-turns before it gets a few boosts under its belt), and abuses pex and ferro as set up fodder thanks to jungle healing removing status. even with no speed investment it outspeeds 0 speed volcarona, and if you wanted to you could take EVs away from HP and add to speed until it outspeeds whatever the benchmark for standard bulky volc is rn.

Whoo boy i've been waiting for a thread like this one. I spend at least an hour daily using off-meta, weird sets because I tend to get bored of meta stuff, so now I finally get to share some of the better ones with you all! Fair warning, I tend to ramble so this is gonna be a pretty long one. Feel free to skim the sets if you like.
Are you tired of the same old physical walls? Landorus just not filling that flower-shaped hole in your heart? Well boy do I have the answer for you!
1635278877403.png
credit to AngeKrystaleen on DeviantArt for the art

I started using Vileplume about a month or two ago when RS Urshi was being a pain in the behind, and I searched for something(other than pex cuz that's boring ;) that resisted both of its stabs and wasn't weak to U-Turn. That's when I found this bad boy way down in the RU tier. Before I explain how it works, let's see the set.
Vileplume@Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Infestation/Corrosive Gas
-Strength Sap
-Giga Drain/Pollen Puff
-Sludge Bomb

The name of the game is walling. And how it gets done is one move. Strength Sap. SS is ridiculously powerful when combating physical attackers due to its ability to often heal plume for a majority if not all its health and reduce the damage of the subsequent hit save a crit. And as a physical wall it manages most of the tier besides those that hit it supereffectively. Some calcs below:
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 262-309 (74 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 142-168 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 88-104 (24.8 - 29.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 222-264 (62.7 - 74.5%) -- approx. 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
While not being the strongest physical wall, it can tank some hits, and strength sap the damage off. But with its strong Sp.Atk stat, even uninvested its able to threaten switch-ins with its STAB Sludge Bomb. But the real offensive potential lies in Infestation. Infestation lets Vileplume not only sponge hits, but trap those that it sponges hits from, inflict chip damage on the switch, or even trap and remove some of its switch-ins, namely ferrothorn. With Giga Drain and the chip from Infestation, you do approximately 10% per turn, assuming a min roll on Giga Drain and that they still have their leftovers, allowing you to massively chunk Ferro for a breaker later. And with Pollen Puff, you threaten to almost if not KO them, doing 76% total assuming min rolls every time and only 4 turns of trapping and leftovers being intact.
0 SpA Vileplume Pollen Puff vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 46-55 (13 - 15.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever(+12.5%per turn for Infestation, -6.25% for Leftovers)
0 SpA Vileplume Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 14-17 (3.9 - 4.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Onto the next one!
1635281733841.png
Froslass by Hakkasm on DeviantArt
Froslass is by far my favorite hazard setter I've ever used, and by-far the most effective one barring meta ones like Ferrothorn and Pex.
Froslass@Bright Powder
252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 Def
Timid Nature
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Disable/Will-o-Wisp/Pain Split/Icy Wind
-Destiny Bond
This set will be familiar to fans of past-generation lower tiers, but I believe its of some use on Hyper-offensive squads in OU. The crux of the set is Spikes obv, but the utility comes in the other moves. Taunt is used for blocking opposing hazards, and is especially good since Froslass is faster than all relevant non-scarfed hazard setters besides Ribombee, who is outclassed by Galvantula anyway. Destiny Bond ensures that at the minimum Froslass can make a 1-1 trade, which can be taken advantage of in the teambuilder by using mons who capitalize on the removal of mons that Froslass lures in like Heatran and Volcarona. The final move is mostly left up to you, it can be Disable, which is nasty against opposing setters that might only run one offensive move, Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers Froslass lures in like Excadrill, Pain Split to try and get more Cursed Body procks and set up more Spikes, or Icy Wind to offensively threaten Lando-T and not be helpful against opposing Taunts, or if your prediction is really on-point, slowing down the switch-in to Destiny Bond it the turn after. Destiny Bond in and of itself forces mindgames on the opponent that forces them play around it, which can often lead to extra layers of spikes on predicted switches. The item is mostly customizable, although my two favorites have been Rocky Helmet to punish U-Turns and BrightPowder to get clutch extra layers of spikes, although in theory you could do funky stuff like Ring Target Switcheroo if you crafted your team around it.

1635282514704.png
Art by Glitched Bat on DeviantArt
Dracozolt@Blunder Policy
Ability: Hustle
252 Atk/ 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
-Bolt Beak
-Dragon Rush
-Earthquake
-Iron Tail
Here's a fun one based off of FangFoe's post about Hustle and Blunder Policy. Dracozolt with Hustle and +2 Speed is terrifying. That's about it lmao. Dragon Rush has 60% accuracy under hustle so it's not unrealistic for it to miss, and if it hits, oh well, Dracozolt hits like a Freight Train anyway. Some notable calcs(although I doubt u need it, its Dracozolt):
252+ Atk Hustle Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 690-813 (96.6 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Hustle Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 363-427 (94 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Hustle Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 345-406 (90 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

And finally, the last one, for now...
1635283248769.png
Art by TsaoShin on DeviantArt
Sirfetchd@Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Close Combat
-First Impression
-Brave Bird
-Knock Off
So uhh, Sirfetch'd with a choice band is terrifying. This thing hits like a freight train going 180, pure and simple. Scrappy means nothing is immune to its Close Combats and prevents Lando from reducing your power with Intimidate, and even in OU there are very few things that resist the move(and most of them are 2HKO'd anyway). First Impression lets it have some use even late game when its at low health and everything on the opponent's board is faster than it. Knock Off annihilates Glowking that come in expecting CC and has utility removing items from mons Sirfetch'd can't handle like Lando and Fini. Some calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 185-218 (48.4 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 213-252 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Scizor: 330-388 (96.2 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 430-508 (109.1 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 198-234 (54.6 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 265-312 (73.2 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 472-556 (167.9 - 197.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 288-339 (95.6 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
And trust me, anything weak to its moves gets Thanos-snapped out of existence faster than you can say Dux. And the bulk investment means its bulky enough to take at least one hit from just about anything while at full health, making it a fantastic mon for VoltTurn and Spikes HO teams.
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sirfetch’d: 192-226 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sirfetch’d: 248-294 (75.8 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sirfetch’d: 192-226 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(and DM only KO's fromfull about 68% of the time).
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Sirfetch’d: 142-168 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Sirfetch’d: 195-229 (59.6 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I actually tried this but with a bulky variant with a 252 HP/ 252 Atk / 4 SpD spread, replacing the seed with leftovers, and replacing acro with Jungle Healing and its legit way better than I expected. It crushes most mons that rely on physical damage to bypass it(even if it is scared of U-turns before it gets a few boosts under its belt), and abuses pex and ferro as set up fodder thanks to jungle healing removing status. even with no speed investment it outspeeds 0 speed volcarona, and if you wanted to you could take EVs away from HP and add to speed until it outspeeds whatever the benchmark for standard bulky volc is rn.
I think max speed jolly is the way to go. Outspeeding Garchomp and Victini is a huge selling point of Zarude.

I agree now, I did some more playtesting with it and I think your spread is better, although I'm still debating Jungle Healing over acro to deal with status.
Main draw of acro is just hitting some common switchins like buzzwole, being able to 1v1 Lucha if you’re at full, hitting volc, etc. If those things aren’t things you want lured, I’m sure jungle healing would be perfectly fine, I just have happened to use zarude pretty much exclusively on teams that appreciate those being lured

Main draw of acro is just hitting some common switchins like buzzwole, being able to 1v1 Lucha if you’re at full, hitting volc, etc. If those things aren’t things you want lured, I’m sure jungle healing would be perfectly fine, I just have happened to use zarude pretty much exclusively on teams that appreciate those being lured
yeah, I agree, I prefer to use it to set up on mons that would status it like ferro, pex, defensive Lando, and tankChomp

So I hate Heatran, and I wanted a lure, so here we go.
Tapu Lele@Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
252 Spe / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Moonblast
-Focus Blast
-Skill Swap
The plan is to invite Heatran in, skill swap to become immune to magma storm, and then 2HKO it with Focus Blast(assuming you hit twice). As a bonus Skill Swap can be used midgame to re-apply psychic terrain without switching out, while stealing a useful ability like Intimidate.
Edit: Turns out with a bit of chip from rocks/spikes Psyshock into Focus Blast has a p good chance to KO SpDef Heatran, so you don't even need to hit two focus blasts.
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Psychic Terrain: 105-125 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- 52.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 260-307 (67.3 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
So I was playing with Veez's Specs Regidrago and as I played it was apparent to me that it just wasn't fast enough. I may have been using it wrong but with its middling speed tier it felt like the things it outsped were too bulky to be OHKO'd and the stuff that could be OHKO'd were all faster and thus able to heavily reduce the power of Dragon Energy by hitting Regidrago. So as an experiment I started using Scarf on the set and after some testing I firmly believe this is an extremely capable revenge killer/cleaner. Even without specs the power behind this thing is absolutely terrifying.
252 SpA Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 369-435 (96.5 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 334-394 (86.9 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
And even resists aren't safe, as long as they're chunked:
252 SpA Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 / 0 SpD Skarmory: 204-241 (61.2 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Ferrothorn: 128-151 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 235-277 (32.9 - 38.7%) -- 6.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
It definitely needs team support to remove mons it can't break through, namely Blissey, fairies, and SpDef steels like Corviknight. How exactly this is to be done is left up to you, but i've personally been enjoying this:
Kommo-o@Choice Band
Ability: Bulletproof
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Close Combat
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab
-Ice Punch
Poison Jab lures fairies, including a 2HKO on Tapu Fini and a good chance for an OHKO on just about every other fairy, CC and E-quake threaten steels, and its typing and ability let it have some defensive utility, notably against Draga locked into Shadow Ball, Scizor, Regieleki, etc. It's probably not the best, and Poison Jab Weavile alongside Magnet Pull Magnezone might be better, but its worked well so far.

big dragon energy
Regidrago @ Choice Specs
Mild Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Explosion
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor

I want to bring this back up because Pokeaim just released a video pairing Regidrago with Doom Desire Jirachi. The damage output from DD is enough to OHKO Clefable, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Ninetales, and even take more than 50% off Tapu Fini. Jirachi doesn't have Teleport but it does have U-turn so it can set up its own DD + Dragon Energy turns. Super nifty combo.

Jirachi @ Metal Coat
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Doom Desire
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

The team PokeaimMD used here. The team itself was posted by Smogon user FormDiscussion.

Or just watch Aim himself smash with Doom Draco for an hour.

Last edited:
1635967636820.png

Drapion by Yilx on DeviantArt
Drapion@Razor Claw
Ability: Sniper
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Cross Poison
-Night Slash
-Swords Dance
-Agility
I had this idea while browsing the lower tiers for funny mons to try in OU, and on a whim just threw Drapion into the calc and started playing with it. And oh dear lord this thing can be a wrecking ball under the right circumstances. It definitely needs screens support if you want to get both set-up moves off, but it has the raw bulk even when uninvested to tank a hit to get one of them off. With the equipped Razor Claw(or Scope Lens, they do the same thing), you have a 50% chance to land a crit with every move, which obviously makes this super inconsistent but man is it funny when you leave your opponent raging at the number of crits your landing. And after a swords dance, on a crit, this thing starts wrecking.
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Zapdos on a critical hit: 337-397 (87.7 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T on a critical hit: 328-387 (102.5 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T on a critical hit: 234-276 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Volcarona on a critical hit: 378-445 (101 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit: 216-256 (71 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And after an agility it outspeeds p much everything in the game. It needs some team support to work for sure, like the aforementioned screens support to get both boosts off, but also hazard support to wear down the stuff that doesn't get OHKO'd, which isn't much considering the only OU mon that resists both STABs is Bisharp, and even the ones mentioned above that live get 2HKO'd by a mile. As for teammates, besides the aforementioned hazard and screens support, I would recommend another wallbreaker/cleaner that can take advantage of Drapion weakening the physical checks on the opposing team, or a special attacker that can take advantage of the aforementioned walls being physically oriented rather than specially oriented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)