Lower Tiers GSC UU Discussion Thread

UU Snake Draft started and I don't feel like waiting until then to post my stuff. I do intend to submit a few of these teams for future samples but some are half baked ideas while others are just too similar to other new sample teams.
I am going to make a team dump and here is how to navigate it.

Cherry's Team dump
1.The first two links are unedited boxes of all my teams from May through July. Help yourselves! WARNING SOME ARE UNFINISHED!
Spring Break
Go Wild

2. The following teams are all of the teams I used in the Ruins of Alph Olympics.

Paraspam Hypno + agility pass
Hypno Mag Spikes + Scyther and 2 attackers
Hypno Bellossom Dual Screens offence (MASTERPIECE made with Diophantine)
Hypno Bellossom Dual Screens offence v2 (SHADOWBALL HAUNTER OML)
A team where I overcompensated for matchup fishing but not nearly as much as my opponent
Bulky Waters + Piloswine (vs Holly in the finals game 1)
Scyther Lead + Slowbro + Hp Ground Talk Granbull (SEE UUFPL FINALS)

3. Here is the rest of things that I used https://pokepast.es/4efc134dfea4de68

S/o to Siatam for solving the Sleep Talk Mime Enigma by bringing Shadow Ball Haunter to the table. I love it.
If you are interested in knowing more about a team or would request a team I used somewhere and haven't included anywhere here, feel free to drop me a message and let me know with a replay.

Help yourselves! WARNING SOME ARE UNFINISHED!
by unfinished I mean that some of it is absolute shit. :gs/wobbuffet:

So I learned recently that this little guy :gs/Omastar: does not resist Hidden Power Bug, which was rather disappointing to find out. That means that it always takes neutral or super-effective damage from Scyther's Hidden Power move (but at least Wing Attack and Return).
On an semi-related note I wanted to ask for some feedback on what sets you guys have experimented with when it comes to Omastar. It should go without saying that the top 2 sets (at least for the current state of the metagame) are Surf/Ice Beam/Rest/Sleep Talk and Surf/Hp Electric/Rest Sleep Talk, with the first set having much more potential to sway matches thanks to freeze and high damage output overall. Specifically Ice Beam not only threatens Grass types but also 2HKOs Scyther while not being even 3HKO'd back if unboosted. Hidden Power Electric on the other hand, is weaker vs Scyther than even Surf but allows it to deal nice damage to Water types (minus Quag) that might otherwise take advantage of its presence. Omastar's special attack is something not to be trifled with after all.

Omastar Hidden Power Electric vs. Slowbro: 131-154 (33.3 - 39.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Spikes and Leftovers recovery
Omastar Hidden Power Electric vs. Qwilfish: 159-188 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Omastar Hidden Power Electric vs. Gyarados: 228-268 (60.4 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Omastar Ice Beam vs. Scyther: 177-208 (51.6 - 60.6%) -- 93.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Omastar Ice Beam vs. Bellossom: 153-180 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- 56% chance to 2HKO after Spikes and Leftovers recovery
Omastar Ice Beam vs. Jumpluff: 336-396 (95.1 - 112.1%) -- 71.8% chance to OHKO
Omastar Ice Beam vs. Victreebel: 209-246 (57.5 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

But what other sets are there? Some people have popularized a Thief set with Surf and Hidden Power Electric and Rest I will mention them if requested (lucky whoever saw this thread before I edited), with the idea that Omastar can switch into Granbull on turn 1 and, knowing that most LK Granbulls will not use status against Oma (see paragraph above), will Thief away leftovers either from them or from common switch ins. I think that this set could be even more egregious and have Hydro Pump or Ice Beam.

I also tried this set but I don't feel very convinced of it.

Move 1:Surf
Move 2:Toxic
Move 3Rest
Move 4Sleep Talk

Toxic sort of cripples a few pokemon that annoy Omastar or put them on a timer (Gyara, Bellossom, even Slowbro/King) while still managing to weaken at least 2 of the pokemon it initially is meant to keep in check (Granbull, Scyther). I spoke with Trev about it and we sort of agree that it can be a little bit meh but the idea was bugging me for so long. I think I see a noticeably wider splashability on the things it normally would check with Ice Beam and Electric, only they sort of overlap a little bit here. It's also true that the matchups against poison types are forfeited but Nidoqueen is just as threatened against this set as it would be against the HP Electric one.

Last edited:
Yesterday, both UUSD and GSC PL concluded and with that I felt like writing up a thing about the state of the tier + some thoughts I have. Overall, it was a fun experience and I am pretty happy with my 5-4 record. GSC UU is in a pretty good state at the moment and I feel theres a lot of room for creativity which I hope to see in UUPL!

Meta Thoughts

:dp/qwilfish: :dp/nidoqueen: :dp/granbull:
Qwilfish at #1 in usage, Granbull vs Nidoqueen

It finally happened, but Nidoqueen has dropped from her most used spot and been usurped by the spiking fish in Qwilfish, which I think has been coming for a while now. In the past years we have saw Queen go from nearly mandatory to just very common, but this tour we saw a lot of Shuckle stall teams + teams dropping Nidoqueen for Piloswine as people realise just how scary the swine can be (more info later). As for Qwilfish, I used it in 8/9 games because I find playing this tier with Spikes to more reliable and easier than playing without them. Curse Qwilfish also saw a lot of usage this tour as Shuckle stall teams with Blastoise become more and more common.

As for Granbull, I personally think it is the best Pokemon in the tier right now. The CurseRestTalk set not only forces teams to run Haunter, Omastar, or Shuckle to avoid being swept by it, but also provides a check to threatening Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, and Gyarados. Hidden Power Ground sets are also just unwallable without Omastar or Shuckle (former can be 2HKOd by Thunder and latter doesn’t like taking Lovely Kiss) and easy to support given how easy it is to slap a Light Screen or TWave Hypno onto a team. I am a huge fan of Curse / Return / HP Ground / Thunder, which is a great mon at forcing progress alongside options like Light Screen Hypno.

:dp/gyarados:
Gyarados is fire

Gyarados has shown itself to be a fantastic Pokemon in GSC UU this year and a mon that benefits from a lot of trends. The rise of Piloswine, Granbull sets without Rest, and Shuckle stall alongside a drop in Electric types has hugely benefited Gyarados. Gyarados is nice as a Scyther check on offensive teams that provides a good bit of offensive and defensive utility. Hydro + Thunder + Hidden Power Flying is pretty annoying coverage to switch into in this tier especially with Roar to rack up Spikes damage. Gyarados has an extremely handy Spikes immunity and is also one of the few Pokemon able to handle Piloswine (90% of the time) and be consistently annoying for stall teams to handle, getting opportunities to come in on Pokemon like Blastoise. Most Hypno sets being Psychic / Light Screen / RestTalk is also beneficial as Gyarados can try break through it with crits and also using Roar as it Rests to bring more pain.
:dp/shuckle: :dp/blastoise: :dp/chansey: :dp/crobat:
Shuckle Stall

Stall teams with Shuckle emerged last UUPL and once again showed how good they can be in UUSD and GSC PL. The core of Shuckle is a very tough Pokemon to take down without a Water type and is quite possibly the only Pokemon that can claim to hard counter Nidoqueen. Shuckle + Chansey + Blastoise + Crobat is just very tough core to break down and the last two slots are quite variable. During the tour I was trying out a version with Belly Drum Quagsire and Light Screen + TWave Hypno last as Quagsire is nearly impossible to stop when setup correctly, and funnily enough is a massive threat to opposing Shuckle stall teams. I suspect people will be more aware of these teams in the future and prep for them more, using things like Gyarados and Curse Qwilfish more.

:dp/piloswine::dp/quagsire: :dp/gligar: :dp/sandslash:
The Swine (and non Nidoqueen grounds in general)

Piloswine is an incredibly dangerous mon for a couple of reasons and I went over why in this post right here so I wont repeat my self too much. Unlike Nidoqueen, Piloswine is not weak to Psychic and is also a better check to stuff like Scyther, so some teams prefer it. Piloswine also naturally hits harder than Queen and has a secondary stab in Ice Beam that has a lovely 10% freeze chance. GSC Freeze is incredibly scary and Piloswine is naturally a very hard Pokemon to counter, meaning a freeze on your Gyarados or Slowbro can put you in a horrible spot, especially since Piloswine has a lot of opportunities to throw the move out.

As for the other three, I think they have serious potential, especially Quagsire. Ground STAB is just insanely potent in GSC UU because of how many teams stack Ground weaknesses + the ground resists being hard to fit onto teams (in the case of Jumpluff) or not being answers to the Ground types (in the case of Scyther). Quagsire in particular has an excellent typing for this tier, especially with Bellossom and Jumpluff falling off. Sandslash is also a very dangerous sweeper, and Gligar has a host of unique defensive traits.

Teams I Brought

:dp/Nidoqueen: :dp/vileplume: :dp/quagsire: :dp/omastar: :dp/blastoise: :dp/hypno:
Week 1 vs Trevelion (L) (this one sucks LOL dont use it)

:dp/hypno: :dp/gyarados: :dp/mr mime: :dp/haunter: :dp/piloswine: :dp/qwilfish:
Week 2 vs vani (L)

:dp/Hypno: :dp/gyarados: :dp/nidoqueen: :dp/granbull: :dp/haunter: :dp/qwilfish:
Week 3 vs Estarossa (W)

:dp/Granbull: :dp/poliwhirl: :dp/mr mime: :dp/nidoqueen: :dp/haunter: :dp/qwilfish:
Week 4 vs Leru (W) (was originally going to bring https://pokepast.es/bfab5e6f6c16ff73 which is a better team but memed because week was lost)

:dp/scyther: :dp/piloswine: :dp/slowking: :dp/granbull: :dp/haunter: :dp/qwilfish:
Week 5 vs Raichy (L)

:dp/nidoqueen: :dp/slowbro: :dp/mr mime: :dp/scyther: :dp/haunter: :dp/qwilfish:
Week 6 vs HSA (W)

:dp/lanturn: :dp/piloswine: :dp/jumpluff: :dp/haunter: :dp/Blastoise: :dp/qwilfish:
Week 7 vs Drogba in Shenhua (W)

:dp/Hypno: :dp/gyarados: :dp/mr mime: :dp/haunter: :dp/sandslash::dp/qwilfish:
Semifinals vs Estarossa (L)

:dp/mr mime: :dp/gyarados: :dp/granbull: :dp/nidoqueen: :dp/haunter: :dp/qwilfish:
Finals vs Raichy [W]

sry if there is spelling mistakes my brain was fried righting this

Hey all, here to talk about a Hypno set I believe to be very good - more specifically a move on Hypno:

:gs/hypno:
Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: No Ability
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Reflect
- Rest

The highlight here is Shadow Ball in place of Psychic - the other moves can vary. You might think Shadow Ball is a weird choice on Hypno at first, but there are 3 main reasons it works well:
  1. Hypno has a solid Attack stat, especially for GSC UU - it's actually the same as its Special Attack stat, at base 73, and reaching 244 with maxed out investment and DVs.
  2. With Psychic-types being a huge deal in GSC UU, Hypno is often forced into battles with other Psychic-types, such as enemy Hypno, Mr. Mime, Slowbro, Slowking, and Kadabra. Fitting Seismic Toss onto its moveset can be difficult, as Hypno would prefer to be running utility moves like Thunder Wave or Light Screen most of the tine, and so it is forced to wear through its Psychic PP very quickly in 1v1 battles with these Pokemon if it hopes to damage them. Mr. Mime in particular can be an issue here, as it often runs Thunder, which gives it a chance to paralyze Hypno as it attacks, skewing the odds in Mr. Mime's favour for winning the 1v1. Shadow Ball bypasses this issue and allows Hypno to easily win the 1v1 vs. every Psychic-type in the tier (except Slowbro and Girafarig). See the calcs below:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Hypno: 119-140 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Hypno Seismic Toss vs. Hypno: 100-100 (26.8 - 26.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

:gs/mr mime:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Mr. Mime: 124-146 (43.8 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Mr. Mime Thunder vs. Hypno: 78-92 (20.9 - 24.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

:gs/kadabra:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Kadabra: 178-210 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Kadabra Psychic vs. Hypno: 50-59 (13.4 - 15.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

:gs/slowbro:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Slowbro: 90-106 (22.9 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Slowbro Surf vs. Hypno: 94-111 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

:gs/slowking:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Slowking: 112-132 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 97.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Slowking Surf vs. Hypno: 94-111 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  3. Shadow Ball preserves Hypno's good matchup against Haunter, cleanly 2HKOing even without STAB.
Shadow Ball also obviously has its downsides - you are no longer as much of a threat to Nidoqueen, and you can't hit Granbull/Dodrio at all, but this is nothing that can't be helped via teammates and Hypno's other moves (I like Reflect, Rest, and Thunder Wave on it to help with these matchups). I've had a lot of success with this Hypno set and would def recommend giving it a go - it's more than a gimmick. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hey all, here to talk about a Hypno set I believe to be very good - more specifically a move on Hypno:

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: No Ability
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Reflect
- Rest

The highlight here is Shadow Ball in place of Psychic - the other moves can vary. You might think Shadow Ball is a weird choice on Hypno at first, but there are 3 main reasons it works well:
  1. Hypno has a solid Attack stat, especially for GSC UU - it's actually the same as its Special Attack stat, at base 73, and reaching 244 with maxed out investment and DVs.
  2. With Psychic-types being a huge deal in GSC UU, Hypno is often forced into battles with other Psychic-types, such as enemy Hypno, Mr. Mime, Slowbro, Slowking, and Kadabra. Fitting Seismic Toss onto its moveset can be difficult, as Hypno would prefer to be running utility moves like Thunder Wave or Light Screen most of the tine, and so it is forced to wear through its Psychic PP very quickly in 1v1 battles with these Pokemon if it hopes to damage them. Mr. Mime in particular can be an issue here, as it often runs Thunder, which gives it a chance to paralyze Hypno as it attacks, skewing the odds in Mr. Mime's favour for winning the 1v1. Shadow Ball bypasses this issue and allows Hypno to easily win the 1v1 vs. every Psychic-type in the tier (except Slowbro and Girafarig). See the calcs below:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Hypno: 119-140 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Hypno Seismic Toss vs. Hypno: 100-100 (26.8 - 26.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

:gs/mr mime:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Mr. Mime: 124-146 (43.8 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Mr. Mime Thunder vs. Hypno: 78-92 (20.9 - 24.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

:gs/kadabra:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Kadabra: 178-210 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Kadabra Psychic vs. Hypno: 50-59 (13.4 - 15.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

:gs/slowbro:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Slowbro: 90-106 (22.9 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Slowbro Surf vs. Hypno: 94-111 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

:gs/slowking:
    Hypno Shadow Ball vs. Slowking: 112-132 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 97.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    Slowking Surf vs. Hypno: 94-111 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  3. Shadow Ball preserves Hypno's good matchup against Haunter, cleanly 2HKOing even without STAB.
Shadow Ball also obviously has its downsides - you are no longer as much of a threat to Nidoqueen, and you can't hit Granbull/Dodrio at all, but this is nothing that can't be helped via teammates and Hypno's other moves (I like Reflect, Rest, and Thunder Wave on it to help with these matchups). I've had a lot of success with this Hypno set and would def recommend giving it a go - it's more than a gimmick. Thanks for reading!
Interesting take with some calcs that I wasn't aware of (but that's partly on me because I've used Sball Hypno before.
There is a fundamental problem with this moveset and that Hypno's advantages are quite lacking (still can't beat Slowbro and Hypno reliably enough) when not paired with a second move in either Body Slam or Psychic, and in addition to that it's common issues with other checks are still there to begin with.
Haunter doesn't want to stay in on Hypno unless it's self sacrificing, Scyther is still a threat (perhaps moreso), Magneton walls it even better this way and now Nidoqueen, Qwilfish and Granbull can come in relatively unhindered. In my humble opinion, the point of Shadowball is to be paired with Curse and Body Slam, not to do slightly more damage than Seismic toss, which I think works better over Shadowball with those other 3 moves that you listed.

:Hypno:
Curse set
Leftovers
Move1: Curse
Move2: Body Slam
Move3: Rest
Move4: Sleep Talk/ Shadowball/ Psychic

Curse Hypno has an interesting niche as a mono attacking Normal sweeper in that it has exceptionally high special bulk, allowing it to sit on certain matchups that Granbull usually is incapable of doing (Omastar and Magneton), while also being less obvious than a Curse Chansey. Increasing its physical stats are all it needs to become a threat in a short time. If you choose to pair this with Shadowball or Psychic you will then effectively beat Haunter which is the only roadblock in Hypno's way to perform a sweep.

Thunderwave no Rest set
Leftovers
Move1: Seismic Toss
Move2: Thunder Wave
Move3: Reflect/Light Screen
Move4: Rest

I decided not to include Psychic here for the sake of example, but I do think that it's superior. Seismic Toss and no other attacking move has its own applications though and that's the fact that it already has the ability to offer support in screens or cripple any pokemon with Thunder Wave, then Seismic Toss can help stall break in a sense, as it has a moderately high PP and hits lots of things that might try to get an advantage in the Psychic vs Psychic matchups. I see Seismic Toss more as a counterpick moveset to be used in situations where you feel confident that you can take your opponent's pokemon out through other means.

The main take away here should be that Hypno, if not being used as a niche Curse Sweeper, gains value from playing a long game while maintaining a solid positioning against the majority of the metagame and wasting the opponent's PP. That's a specialty I see no other Psychic type doing quite like how it can.

Interesting take with some calcs that I wasn't aware of (but that's partly on me because I've used Sball Hypno before.
There is a fundamental problem with this moveset and that Hypno's advantages are quite lacking (still can't beat Slowbro and Hypno reliably enough) when not paired with a second move in either Body Slam or Psychic, and in addition to that it's common issues with other checks are still there to begin with.
Haunter doesn't want to stay in on Hypno unless it's self sacrificing, Scyther is still a threat (perhaps moreso), Magneton walls it even better this way and now Nidoqueen, Qwilfish and Granbull can come in relatively unhindered. In my humble opinion, the point of Shadowball is to be paired with Curse and Body Slam, not to do slightly more damage than Seismic toss, which I think works better over Shadowball with those other 3 moves that you listed.
*I think my memory may have been jogged and I actually meant that TWave Seismic Toss Rest Sleep Talk has beeen used and not Scree+Twave+Seismic Toss and no Sleep Talk.

GSC UU Discussion Should Magneton and other Electrics run different coverage moves?

Since Nidoqueen currently only lives in a shadow of its former glory, and with Piloswine being even more present perhaps there are some things to consider in order to hold it off. I want to focus on Magneton and what its viable sets would be, how they could pair with Hidden powers other than Ice but I will talk briefly about other electrics not named Pikachu or Lanturn, for obvious reasons.

:gs/Magneton:
Thunder
Hp Water
Rest
Sleep Talk

Nowadays if you want to be able to punish Piloswine capitalizing on the free switch in, you won't hesitate in front of the cut bulk from HP Water. The tradeoff of lowered health isn't too bad in the end since it still excells vs special attackers but the difference with hp Ice is that it can deal 39.2 - 46.1% meaning a chipped Piloswine will have to watch out. The drawbacks, which exist, aside from Bellossom being slightly more annoying, is the 66% chance of being OHKO'd by Granbull after spikes rather than 33% chance.

But what about HP Fire? And Grass?
They aren't advisable. The cut even more into your bulk and you are going to invite Ground types in even more. Besides, you shouldn't even be challenging Quagsire with Magneton.
(Edit: hp grass can be viable if your team is particularly weak to Quagsire (no grass types on your team and no granbull and no good answers to ground rock))

:gs/Ampharos: :gs/Electabuzz:

Ampharos can use Fire Punch, of which there is no Water equivalent, and it's surprisingly quite good coming off of the high base power. A Burn is always nice and will necessarily make Grounds quite mediocre threats. Though due to 4mss you are now open to Quagsire, Nidoqueen, Gligar, and sandslash so use it at your own risk. I've seen it paired with Hidden Power Water/Ice but... come on.

Electabuzz is also quite interesting and has multiple ways of punishing Ground types. Thief, Psychic, Ice Punch, Fire Punch and Cross Chop* some aren't as good and some of these can be paired with each other.
Once called the "gangsta Knock-off" in Reverend's discord, Thief is the most solid way of punishing pokemon that switch in. Usually the more threatening a position you are in, the more likely you are to take away leftovers from something valuable when you force the switch out. Buzz is one of the most successful Thief users because of its blistering speed and high power. Often times I steal lefties from a Piloswine which is great.
Psychic is another good catch all option that has the potential of getting a juicy SpDef drop. It's not gonna send Piloswine running but it's good for Nidoqueen and also punishes Haunter.
Ice Punch is really nice.
Fire Punch is good (see Ampharos) and actually can pair with Psychic
Cross Chop is mediocre. The Crit is not reliable to count on if you are facing a Piloswine, it sacrifices useful coverage against other valuable targets, and it's incompatible with Pursuit.

:gs/electrode: this just explodes it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, pp here. Now that GSCPL III has concluded, I wanted to take the time to write up a VR post for GSC UU considering I got a lot of practice with the tier during the tour. Funnily enough, GSC UU is being featured this month as an RoA spotlight ladder with an accompanying tour, so I hope this post will be helpful and encouraging to people just starting with the tier. Before I start, I want to give a big thanks to cherryb0ng, Celebiii, and holly/dawn for helping me prep for my games and giving me copious practice battles to hone my UU skills. I wouldn't be writing this if it wasn't for your help! I highly encourage anyone interested in GSC lower tiers to check out dawn's excellent YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@dawn2955. Without further ado, let's begin!

S tier
Spr_2g_123.png

By far the greatest play-maker in the tier, and the pokemon I think is the most important to prep for in the builder. With +2 attack and DE-hp ground coverage, Scyther 2 shots almost the entire tier. I wouldn't bother with hp bug anymore, the coverage from ground is too important for mons like Omastar and Haunter. It has unparalleled speed for the tier, outrunning and seriously threatening offensive staples like Mr. Mime and Gyarados. You're only really safe vs Scy if you're running Crobat or Shuckle and both of these pokemon are highly exploitable and only fit on stall teams which I personally don't consider very good. Scyther can even pass its boosts to its teammates for additional destruction, although baton pass is incompatible with double edge which definitely stings. Another cool tech is light screen to set up on pilo, nido, and oma. Just be careful not to get frozen as that's one of the worst feelings in the world.

Spr_2s_210.png

This is the Snorlax of GSC UU. Unprepared teams will get run over by curse resttalk Granbull. Almost all teams are forced to have either a normal resist or immunity to avoid losing to bull. The standard and best set is mono normal, but 2 attacks with hp ground is also viable, although it does now lose to Slowbro. There are also other more niche options like a restless curse user with LK on hyper offense teams, 2 attacks with thunder to lure Omastar which otherwise is probably the best Granbull check, or even resttalk with heal bell. Granbull isn't quite as flexible as Snorlax is in OU, and it can sometimes struggle with strong special attackers, but only a fool would discount how dangerous it is. There's a reason most people consider it #1.

Spr_2s_211.png

Spikes. Without spikes, this tier would be close to unplayable, and Qwilfish is the only viable spiker. If Granbull is UU's Snorlax, this is UU's Cloyster. Qwilfish is quite fast for the tier, and so it's often more than just a suicide spiker. It can hit deceptively hard, making it harder to switch into than you might first imagine especially considering sludge bomb's 30% poison rate. Often times your best option is to 1v1 the opposing Qwilfish with your own to avoid taking damage on your other pokemon. The first 3 moves are always locked to spikes + stabs (don't bother with surf, just stick with hydro), but in the last slot you have the choice between haze and curse. Haze can help disarm a setup sweeper like Granbull or Pinsir (although you must account for the speed tie vs the latter), while curse helps muscle through Blastoise which can otherwise be a very annoying roadblock while also giving your team an extra, albeit often ineffective wincon. Qwilfish has traditionally not been considered S tier, but I think the astronomical usage rate speaks for itself. The only teams that should consider dropping it are HO and SOME but not all stalls.

A+ tier
Spr_2s_221.png

If you consider yourself a button clicker, this is the pokemon for you. Piloswine is by far and away the best ground type in the tier, sorry Nidoqueen lovers. I will admit that Nidoqueen has a higher ceiling than pilo, but I think the mammoth is an overall more consistent choice in today's meta. Pilo should only ever run stabs and resttalk; trying out other options removes what makes pilo so threatening. Being able to attack while sleeping makes pilo an insanely dangerous threat especially considering its perfectly complementary stabs. The defensive liability of ice/ground typing is not so much an issue in UU where grass types are rare, and fire and fighting types are almost nonexistent. Pilo's ice neutrality forces electrics to run hp water which cuts into their bulk more than hp ice. Most of the tier will be at least 3hko'd by one or both of Piloswine's stab moves, and the ones that aren't are constantly threatened by the prospect of being frozen (with the exception of opposing pilo, of course). Ice beam is probably the freest move to click t1 with pilo, as pilo is great at forcing switches and the more opportunities you get to freeze the opposing Gyarados or Blastoise, the better. Base 100 attack stab EQ hits very hard and 1 crit can spell doom for the likes of Slowbro, reflect Hypno, and Granbull. Piloswine has had a stranglehold on the tier for the past year and a half now, and cherry made an excellent video on the topic.
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 2.52.58 PM.png

Spr_2s_122.png

I think mime is the best psychic in the tier. This is a reasonably controversial take considering Hypno's longstanding dominance, but I think mime's greater offensive pressure and unpredictability give it an edge. Standard resttalk with psychic and thunder is a very solid rest talker and will dish out powerful special hits with the best of them. Mime on mime mirrors are a seriously common occurrence between offense teams because of how difficult it is to switch into mime otherwise. Mime also has a myriad of other options to throw a wrench into your opponent with. The most common is probably thief which is a very effective way to crippling an opposing pokemon like Hypno or mime itself. Thief sets often pack hypnosis in the last slot, but this isn't set in stone and may not be the most effective option considering most of mime's switch ins are sleep talkers. T-wave is another option to spread status, but you can often score paras with thunder anyway. Nightmare and encore can be devastating in the right position and are a lot less telegraphed on mime than they are on something like Kadabra. Finally baton pass can be used to pass substitutes which can be game ending when paired with set up sweepers, or even attack boosts from meditate or curse.

Spr_2s_097.png

Hypno is GSC UU's premier tank. With maxed out stats, Hypno has impressive mixed bulk that can stand up to most of the tier's physical attackers and all of the tier's special attacks. This is the primary pokemon you aim to remove if you're running something like nightmare psychics. Hypno's decent speed tier allows it to stomach the occasional crit and still come back later to rest off the damage. This makes it a much more effective wall than fellow psychic tanks Slowbro and Slowking. Hypno has a vast movepool, and has a number of options for its free slot (psychic and resttalk are almost always required). T-wave makes switching into Hypno to set up on it or thief it difficult. It prevents Scyther from coming in freely on a sleeping Hypno, which is usually one of its easiest entry points. Reflect allows Hypno to patch up its physical bulk vs scy and pilo and provides helpful team support. Don't bother with light screen as it is devoured by Scyther and Piloswine who you don't want to give free entry to. Seismic toss provides good chip on everything and allows Hypno to actually hurt opposing psychics instead of just pp stalling. Curse with mono normal coverage in body slam is also an option with pursuit support and can be a surprisingly effective wincon late game, however it does take a long time to get going. Sleep talkless sets do exist, but the 2 free turns they give the opposition can enable crit fishing from physical attackers and as such are less consistent choices. Hypno's main issue is being passive, but if you play intelligently, it can be one of the most annoying pokemon to face and will save your ass against the tier's powerful special attackers.

Spr_2s_093.png

Haunter is the most splashable normal resist/immunity in the tier. With a special attack stat equivalent to that of Raikou, haunt hits hard with electric-psychic coverage. Haunter's main role in the tier is to blank mono attacking bull while not letting up on offense. Its attacks sting, especially when paired with the omnipresent spikes and often a lack of leftovers courtesy of Haunter's thief. Haunter is probably the most common thief user in the tier, and it does a great job at removing leftovers from pokemon like Hypno because it scares the daylights out of Qwilfish and Gyarados. Haunter can also effectively spinblock Blastoise as long as it's resting, as 66% of the time Blastoise will do nothing and Blastoise's surf has pitiful odds of 2hkoing Haunter from full (with spikes it has a 90% chance to 2 shot). Tbolt is most common for an electric attack, but thunder can be used on heavily offensive teams that really need haunt's attacks to leave a mark. Psychic is the secondary attacking move used to hit nido and opposing Haunter as well as chip ground types. Hypnosis is an option for the third slot, but it's inaccurate and most of haunt's switch ins are sleep talkers anyway. Shadow ball is a meme option on SD pass teams which can surprise an opposing psychic or haunt, but it's generally not very effective. In the last slot, haunter most often runs explosion or destiny bond. Both moves are great, and can even be run together on the same moveset for increased adaptability. Because of Haunter's low attack stat, boom often cannot kill pokemon without some prior chip so don't go clicking it willy nilly. Haunter can sometimes struggle to break opposing tanks like Hypno and Lanturn without killing itself which leaves its own team open to be ravaged by Granbull. Haunt also tends be lured relatively easily by hp ground Granbull, so make sure you use it carefully. Despite its fragility, Haunter is an excellent play-maker and easily deserves A+ tier.

A tier
Spr_2s_171.png

Despite bad base stats, Lanturn is one of UU's most deadly tanks. Water/electric is one of the best type combinations for UU, boasting stab on 2 of the best attacking types. Lanturn is an electric not walled by grounds, and a water not walled by opposing waters. Lantun absolutely decimates opposing water types like Gyarados, and Omastar, and is often impossible to safely switch into for teams using one of the slow twins as their sleep talker. Lanturn is also quite beefy letting it effectively 1v1 mime and haunt without much trouble. The only real safe switch ins to Lanturn are Hypno, grass types, Ampharos, Chansey, and opposing Lanturn, and only 2 of those are good in the tier. Resttalk should be on all sets to keep Lanturn dangerous while sleeping. Surf and thunder hit incredibly hard, and thunder's para chance ruins pokemon like Electabuzz and Jumpluff. Lanturn and pilo pair together to make a terrifying offensive core with their types complementing each other perfectly. Often times the best way to beat Lanturn for offensive teams is to either trade for it with Haunter, or to bring in a ground (preferably Nidoqueen because she's faster) while it's resting and hope for bad sleep talk rolls. However, both of these come with major consequences if incorrectly sequenced.

Spr_2g_130.png

Gyarados is a phenomonal mixed attacker in GSC UU. With maxed out stats, gyara's special attacks do solid damage, and so it can take advantage of its wide special movepool to throw out the dangerous combination of hydro pump and thunder. Water-electric coverage plus hp flying makes gyara a formidable pokemon to face. The last slot was traditionally used for roar shuffling, but I personally find double edge more useful on a game to game basis. It's actually stronger than stab hp flying and so can nab a few KOs that would otherwise be just out of reach. It also gives you a strong move to hit Lanturn on the switch which otherwise walls gyara infinitely. Some people have experimented with hp ground or ghost (Celebiii should be credited for ghost gyara) to pressure electrics and psychics respectively, but I think hp flying is necessary for the big hit on Scyther which gyara checks well as long as it's at full health. Because of its great bulk, gyara can live non-stab electric hits which enables it to 1v1 Nidoqueen in a pinch. The best thing about gyara by far is its immunity to ground and spikes making it able to stick around all game without needing to heal manually. This makes it the best pilo answer in the tier (unless frozen) which is a massive deal in the current meta. Like pilo's ice beam, gyara can freely fire off thunder on forced switches to try to catch a water type or spread para. Be careful not to get in the habit of leaving gyara in on Qwilfish though, as a poisoned gyara is much less effective.

Spr_2s_031.png

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Nidoqueen is a long way from the #1 position she held for many years. As the tier has progressed, people have come to realize and exploit Nidoqueen's flaws: she's got a bad type for the tier, she's weaker than most other grounds, she's ruined by status, and she has a difficult time making it on the field to make use of her good coverage. This isn't to say she's bad though. Nidoqueen is still an extremely dangerous wallbreaker in the hands of an experienced player, and it's unwise to discount her even if Piloswine's taken her throne. With EQ, thunder, and fire blast, nido's able to hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage. With spikes down, switching into nido can be an absolute nightmare, especially considering she's moderately fast, and can even come packing LK to disarm one of her checks. Moonlight is realistically the better NYC event move in her last slot, allowing her to heal up the myriad of weak super effective hits thrown at her. Dawn has even built teams using thief Nidoqueen to cripple sleep talkers. Nidoqueen has one of the highest ceilings in the tier, but she also has a low floor, so use care when using her. If you do, you'll be rewarded with one of the best damage dealers in all of GSC UU.

"I rest easy knowing that perhaps one day soon, Granbull and Piloswine will be able to wrest Nidoqueen (also known as the Margaret Thatcher of GSC UU) from her throne." -BKC

Spr_2s_125.png

Electabuzz is the only viable pursuit user in the tier, but that's not all buzz is good for. Electabuzz clocks in at 308 speed which ties with the always dangerous Scyther making it an emergency answer. Buzz has a wide movepool which includes the elemental punches meaning it doesn't have to rely on hidden power to hit ground types. It also has access to and is one of the best users of thief, enabling it to cripple a ground type on the switch. As alluded to earlier, buzz's main role is trapping Haunter for most commonly mono normal Granbull. Buzz has decent enough bulk to switch in on Haunter's non-stab psychic and hit it with pursuit on the switch. If haunt opts to stay in and 1v1 buzz, buzz is faster and can hit it with a powerful psychic. Fire punch is a fun option to smack pilo on the switch, as it's stronger than cross chop and is compatible with pursuit. It's not all sunshine and roses for the electric oni though. Buzz is relatively frail, and as such has a hard time switching in on anything but electric attacks. It's not even great at this because it is absolutely ruined by paralysis (unless you're running resttalk which I don't think is good outside of stall). Its non-stab attacks can also sometimes come up short in terms of damage, which is why buzz almost always needs spikes to be effective. Electabuzz is a good lead, but don't be cavalier with attacking into something like Hypno, as you could end up eating a crippling t-wave.

A- tier
Spr_2g_139 11.24.03 PM.png

This is going to be your most consistent answer to Granbull in most cases. Hp ground bounces off Omastar's high defense, and its special attack is meaty enough to threaten back with a clean 3hko. Oma's bread and butter is resttalk, for the same reason as most defensively inclined pokemon. It loses a lot of effectiveness when it cannot attack in its sleep. Surf and ice beam are the classic combination, with beam clocking Scyther and threatening grass types, but with the decline of grass types, hp electric has become more common to avoid being free entry for qwil and other waters. Losing out on ice beam for Scyther does suck, as you now are not nearly as good of an answer, but the coverage for qwil and gyara is much appreciated. Some people have opted for thief to make their oma more offensive, but I think that doesn't play to its strengths and is more often than not a waste.

Spr_2s_009.png

In a tier where spikes are so common, Blastoise has the hefty responsibility of being the only good rapid spinner around. Blastoise once again almost always runs resttalk to avoid being immobilized every time it has to heal. Surf, spin, resttalk is the only viable set imo, with options like roar and EQ being gimmicky and bad. That being said, toise does a great job with its 1 set. You don't outspeed qwil, but without curse, or seriously good luck, qwil will very rarely keep spikes up against you. You also have the great bonus of being an excellent answer to pilo, and even nido because you outspeed, threaten with surf, and are only 3hko'd by the inaccurate thunder. Blastoise does have issues with passivity. A sleeping Blastoise is an excellent setup opportunity for Scyther, and Haunter is safe to come in, spin block, and threaten with a strong electric attack. Having 2/3 of toise's sleep talk rolls either doing nothing but clear hazards, or resetting your sleep can be a liability at times, but overall Blastoise is still a great wall and spinner despite its passive nature. It's also 100% required on any and all stall teams and keeps them from being even worse than they already are.

Spr_2g_127.png

Pinsir is GSC UU's rising star. Pinsir was forgotten for a long time, and seen as nothing more than Great Value Scyther because people were using it wrong. Hp bug is absolutely not it on Pinsir. Ever. Being walled by Haunter is disgusting, and the extra stab boost doesn't help it break when double edge is the move you click the most. Once hp ground became the standard, Pinsir got a lot better. Being a swords dancer stronger than Scyther is a big deal when your coverage is actually good. Normal and ground coverage is perfect, and Pinsir can slot body slam in the last slot to fish for paras. Power gamers know about the cursed rock throw set that kills Scyther after a boost. Pinsir also has high speed for the tier outrunning Gyarados and speed tying Qwilfish making haze a very risky solution. Pinsir has good bulk, and can stomach a few hits before going down. This makes it an excellent early game wall breaker. Best of all, Pinsir SETS UP ON PILOSWINE. This is absolutely incredible and skyrocketed Pinsir from B or B- all the way here to A-. Being able to set up on and then clobber pilo and friends is invaluable right now, and Pinsir's early game breaking makes a Scyther in the back even more ridiculous to deal with because they share similar checks. Double bug HO is a great archetype at the moment, and I expect to see more good things from Pinsir soon.

Spr_2s_082.png

Magneton is the sole steel type in the tier. As such, it takes up the mantle of being a Granbull check that can also stonewall common psychic-electric coverage from the likes of mime and Haunter. Mag is probably the best switch to Haunter in the entire tier. There really isn't much haunt can do vs it other than thief and d-bond. Even explosion bounces off. Mono Granbull is similarly helpless and really takes a beating from mag's 120 base special attack stab. Outside of those 2 matchups however, mag can be kinda middling. It's very exploitable by grounds, even with super effective hidden power, and is often unable to successfully fend off the likes of pilo and nido. Mag's bulk isn't all that great for steel type standards, and neutral hits can hurt a lot more than ideal especially considering the stat drop from running hp water which is necessary to avoid pilo bullying you all game. Mag also really struggles with hp ground variants of Granbull, and while it can eat one from full, it will be out of commission for the rest of the game. Despite these flaws, I still think Magneton is a solid mon in the tier solely because of how good it is into some of the hardest pokemon in the tier to answer. Also agility offensive sets should be experimented with more. I don't think they'll be particularly good, but I think it's a niche worth exploring.

B+
Spr_2s_085.png

Dodrio's double edge is the strongest unboosted physical attack in the tier. This coupled with either drill peck or hp ground and its high speed make Dodrio one of the most threatening pokemon on paper. For a pokemon with poor defenses, Dodrio finds itself as a resttalker more often than not. This enables it to absorb status while simultaneously keeping up offensive pressure. The spikes immunity also helps greatly in keeping Dodrio healthy throughout the game. Options like whirlwind on 3 attacks variants have been used, but they're less consistent and more flimsy than the resttalk set. Drill peck is probably better than hp ground as it 2hkos Haunter, and hidden power is doing pitiful damage to oma. This also means you have a second good sleep talk roll into Scyther. Speaking of Scyther, it's the primary reason Dodrio isn't seen as much. Scyther is notably faster, and hits harder after 1 turn of set up. The immediate power of Dodrio often is not worth the lower speed and inability to clean house the way scy can. Dodrio however is a phenomenal recipient of a passed SD, and so can be paired with Scyther for a double(or should I say triple) pronged flying assault.

Spr_2s_189.png

Jumpluff's excellent speed and access to encore make it one of, if not the best Scyther roadblocks in the game. Locking set up sweepers into a boosting move neuters them completely, and even if they attack into the switch, maxed stats and the low base power of wing attack means pluff isn't immediately threatened with death and can relatively safely heal with synthesis or throw off status moves. Leech seed is also useful for healing and forcing switches with spikes down. Outside of this role however, Jumpluff is very limited. Its attacking stats and moves are awful and so it has no real way to dealing damage outside of leech seed which isn't very good in GSC. Its passivity means it is open to be exploited, and is often an invitation for sleep talkers to burn sleep turns since sleep talk itself cannot be encored, or for qwil to lay spikes. Jumpluff is also RUINED by paralysis, so if it ever takes a stray thunder it has a 30% chance to pretty much be instantly KOd. Jumpluff was better when Nidoqueen was more common because nido can never risk status, but with pilo usurping nido its viability has suffered a bit.

Spr_2s_080.png
Spr_2s_199.png

Despite me putting them in B+, the slowtwins are some of my least favorite pokemon to use in the entire tier. They are painfully slow, and so they lose a lot of effectiveness as walls because 1 crit does them in permanently. They will almost never get a chance to recover unless they come in on a para'd pokemon, or gamble against an opposing sleep talker. That isn't to say there aren't good things about them though. Their stabs are potent together, and they are reasonably strong meaning they can be tough to switch into safely. They are quite bulky in their respective defense stats, and can rest loop (assuming they never get crit lol) a number of dangerous pokemon, notably non curse Granbull and Piloswine for Slowbro and Nidoqueen and Gyarados for Slowking, although gyara is not immediately threatened by psychic due to its bulk. T-wave is an option on both to catch pokemon like gyara trying to take advantage of them, but this also means giving up one a valuable attacking move. I honestly wouldn't recommend these guys too highly right now. The prevalence of mime and Lanturn has seriously hurt their viability, and while they are still functional and effective sometimes, they are certainly inconsistent in my eyes.

Spr_2s_160.png

Feraligatr is an underrated threat. Access to quakeslide coverage and water stab makes it tough to switch into especially when paired with screech to help it bust through walls like Hypno. Gatr is also surprisingly fast, outrunning Lanturn, Magneton, and Nidoqueen. Its bulk isn't shabby either, and allows it to 1v1 gyara in a pinch. Gatr's a pretty good pilo check, so that already makes it kinda good. Being able to KO Scyther with only minor chip is also amazing. I think gatr's main weakness is its lack of a spikes immunity like gyara has, and its reliance on spikes to beat more defensive pokemon. I think it's rather underexplored, and could certainly rise in viability if people start using it more.

B tier
Spr_2s_195.png

With agilipass banned, Quagsire is seeing much less usage than it had this summer. That doesn't mean quag's bad, but the style of team quag fits on now is a lot less common and consistent. That team style is stall. Belly drum Quagsire is the equivalent to using BD lax on OU stall teams; ware the opposing team down slowly, then bowl them over with a slow, but bulky drummer. Quagsire's amazing typing and good bulk mean that it can safely drum in the face of a lot of pokemon, rest up, and then continue to ravage the opposing team. A well played quag is almost unstoppable, and it's important to constantly force damage on it before it gets out of hand. It pairs great with para spreaders and is overall the best wincon stall has in my opinion. The reason it's not ranked higher is less because of quag's own faults, and more because I personally find stall an unreliable play style as a whole.

Spr_2g_182.png

Bellossom is the best grass type in UU that actually uses grass type attacks, but with ice beam Nidoqueen a thing of the past, there sadly isn't a lot left for bello to do. It was really nice for eating nido's hits and scaring her out with status, but with Piloswine ruling the roost, bello's time in the sun is sadly over. Bello isn't the worst pilo check in the world, but it takes a lot more from pilo's ice beam than it did from Nidoqueen's, and it speed ties making the match up iffy. The best thing bello has going for it is shutting down Lanturn, which as previously stated can be agonizing to switch into. That's a nice niche, but it doesn't make up for the toss up MU against pilo, and a horrible weakness to both miracle berry scy and qwil. SD bello is also a total meme and will almost never sweep, so if you do use bello, stick to status spreading and screens. I'm probably overrating it here, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continued to decline in effectiveness.

Spr_2s_207.png

Gligar's a pokemon that's kinda sorta good but only fits on super narrow team structures, and as such is not often seen. Gligar is primarily a fire blast Nidoqueen wall as well as s Scyther/Pinsir/BD Quagsire safety measure, as it can use counter to stop all these pokemon in their tracks. Hp rock can also heavily dent scy if you're able to get in without giving Scyther a boost. Thief is a good move to cripple an opposing team member and toxic is an option for spreading status on mons like gyara that otherwise will totally dominate Gligar. Screech can be cool for forcing switches with spikes down, but Gligar is pretty weak so I don't think it's all that great at that job. Gligar only really fits on weird semistall teams, and while its traits are useful there, and it can be annoying to play against, in a meta where pilo is everywhere, and as a result waters are everywhere, I think Gligar's a pretty meh pokemon.

Spr_2s_101.png

Electrode is the definition of 1 note. It quite simply has 4 viable moves: thunder, reflect, light screen, and explosion. Anything else is a waste on this guy. Luckily for trode, these 4 moves are quite nice at facilitating HO teams which is the only place you'll ever find Electrode. It comes in on Scyther or waters, sets screens vs the ground type switch, hopefully doesn't let Haunter take the boom, and allows a set up mon like Pinsir or Scyther to hopefully clean house. It's actually kinda effective, but it's insanely predictable, and so it can be easy to go wrong with Electrode vs someone who knows what it does.

Spr_2s_064.png

Kadabra is pretty much always outclassed by mime. It does have higher special attack and speed, but its defenses are super terrible and it has a hard time switching into anything. It doesn't even switch into opposing psychics well because they often have either thunder or t-wave, and because Kadabra opts for recover over resttalk, it is horrified of status. You can try to circumvent this with substitute, but that's not entirely reliable unless you switch in on rest, and even then mime's thunder will break your sub every time. Kadabra even has worse electric damage because it doesn't get thunder itself and instead must use thunderpunch which doesn't do anything to opposing psychics. Encore and nightmare are cool moves, but I think mime pulls them off better because of its higher bulk and the surprise factor. When you see Kadabra, you pretty much immediately know it's going to be a disruptor, which makes it easier to play around. I would only ever use it on double psychic teams with mime, but even there I don't recommend it too highly.

Spr_2s_028.png

Sandslash can be quite dangerous if it gets going. It's the only ground type in the tier that can actually use rock slide, and so its coverage is actually quite nice for a swords dancer. However, because its speed tier is medicore, it only really fits on dedicated paraspam builds, which are not common and hard to make work. Substitute allows it to further take advantage of paralysis, and to potentially dodge hydro pumps from a para'd gyara or qwil. Outside of those teams, it's pretty middling because of how badly it loses to pretty much every water type. Pinsir is a much better swords dancer on teams that don't aim to paralyze literally everything. Outspeeding pilo is nice though, and it can be really threatening when left unchecked, it's just hard to get to that point. Also I wouldn't bother with rapid spin memes as it's wholly outclassed by Blastoise and has an iffy MU vs qwil.

B- tier
Spr_2s_181.png

Bah bah black sheep have you any worth? For a long time the answer was no because Ampharos gets bullied so incredibly badly by Nidoqueen it's not even funny. Amphy is quite literally the freest switch for nido outside of Shuckle, and that nullifies her greatest weakness of not having good entry points. Amphy's good qualities are often not worth letting that happen, and this was especially true when Nidoqueen was still the best pokemon. Amphy completely fell out of the metagame for a while, but with nido taking a backseat to pilo now, it's seen a slight resurgence. Ampharos outspeeds pilo, and has access to fire punch to sting it hard on the switch. Fire punch has a number of advantages over hp water: it's stronger vs neutral targets, it doesn't lower your bulk, and it has a burn chance that gives you something to pray for in the nido MU. Ampharos is also a quite solid check to both Lanturn and Gyarados, which are famously hard to switch into. Amphy is still quite limited by how bad it is against ground types, and only really fits on bulkier teams.

Spr_2g_141.png

Kabutops is the worst excuse for a Granbull answer in the tier. It has pretty weak bulk for rock type standards, and Granbull outdamages it quickly, even after it uses swords dance because of the defense boost from curse. You're honestly better off using hydro pump vs bull, and at that point you might as well be using Omastar because it hits harder and more consistently, is able to heal with rest, and takes far less damage because of its good bulk. Kabutops also has to rely on the weak ancient power for its stab, which not only has low base power but also only 8 pp. The omniboost is admittedly really funny, but it's only 10% so I would never bank on that happening. It struggles to break stuff like Blastoise without giving up either hp ground or hydro pump for double edge, and has a poor defensive type outside of "walling" Granbull. Being slower than Qwilfish is also horrible. At least it's pretty good into Scyther and I've heard it's good into stall, but I personally have never seen it work in that MU.

Spr_2s_169.png

Crobat is the first of the shitty trinity of exclusive stall pokemon. It has 1 use, and that's haze stalling Scyther. It quite literally has no other purpose in the tier as its MU into Pinsir is much worse because of Pinsir's higher bulk and more expendable nature, but it is pivotal in preventing Scyther from obliterating your stall team. Protect is probably better for healing than resttalk because Crobat is spikes immune and getting bad sleep talk rolls can be lights out. Thief and toxic are other decent options alongside haze and wing attack. I have already alluded to the fact that I think stall for the most part is pretty bad, and a big part of the reason stall is bad is because it often has to rely on Crobat and the other 2 clowns below it in B- tier. To be honest, more recent stall teams that substitute Jumpluff over Crobat and probably better than the old standards.

Spr_2s_113.png

Curse Chansey is a meme please for the love of god stop trying to make it work. I know False Swipe Gaming hyped it up, but they don't have the best track record in their portrayal of this tier. Chansey's main use is acting as the special wall and cleric on stall, and it's not too great at its job in its current state. Heal bell and counter/t-wave/seismic toss are incompatible on Chansey, and so if it opts to provide cleric support, it becomes super free entry for every physical attack in the game to wail on it. Thunder and present are Chansey's main ways of dealing damage. Thunder is an anti-Qwilfish measure, and present has the capacity to due huge damage to pokemon whose 2nd type is special (it's a weird GSC glitch. dawn has a great video on her channel about it) and can prevent sleep talkers from burning turns vs her. I've seen dawn use counter and t-wave on Chansey paired with heal bell Granbull, and that seems to be a more effective use of her, as she can now threaten to kill any physical attacker brazen enough to duke it out with her.

Spr_2s_213.png

Shuckle infinitely pp stalls pilo and nido (as long as it doesn't get frozen LOL). That's about it. It is the most passive pokemon in the tier and cannot do any damage outside of toxic and sandstorm, neither of which are all that effective because of how good resttalk and ground types are. Defense curl should be on every Shuckle to prevent Granbull from setting up on you and killing you. It's also a nice pp stall move because you only need to use it twice to max out Shuckle's defense and it has a million billion pp. The problem with Shuckle pp stall is that you need spikes to prevent your opponent from switch stalling you, and if you're fitting Shuckle and all the other important stall pokemon, fitting Qwilfish alongside them isn't super easy.

C tier aka meme tier
Spr_2s_040.png

Wigglytuff is only to be used alongside Granbull as either an Omastar lure with curse thunder, or a secondary mono normal curser with a lure Granbull. It can be kinda effective if played right, but as soon as it's revealed, everyone's going to know what's up and you will suddenly be pretty useless.

Spr_2s_203.png

The agilipass ban made Girafarig an unmon. I've seen Celebiii use curse + amnesia + stabs, but I think even he will admit that's a meme set. Really no reason to use it anymore without agilipass because Granbull is a better normal, and pilo is a better mixed attacker.

Spr_2s_071.png

Victreebel never has enough moves to be good. You absolutely will always need swords dance and sludge bomb, and there isn't much use to running it without status, so you have to make the choice between giga drain for pilo or hp ground for qwil. Both are pokemon you do not want to let in for free, and both seriously threaten vic if it doesn't have the right move. Forgoing status just makes you a really bad Scyther/Pinsir because the type is absolutely horrible for the tier. I suppose it's ok if you can remove qwil for it, but it's just so hard to make it work.

Spr_2s_186.png

Another victim of the agilipass ban. Belly drum Politoed is far inferior to Quagsire without the ability to boost its speed, as it lacks stab on its physical attacks and as such cannot break nearly as well as quag. It also has a worse type and lower physical bulk which makes it more susceptible to being chipped out of drum range (+2 attack is almost worthless so drumming below 50% isn't advisable). LK is nice to have, but is done better by Granbull on HO. Trying to emulate Vaporeon and use a growth resttalk set is a bad idea because you just get hazed by qwil or phazed by gyara.

Spr_2g_059.png

Arcanine lets in Qwilfish, is walled by resttalk psychics, and is weak to water and ground. Need I say more? Crunch does pathetic damage to Hypno, and is only scary if it gets a spdef drop before Hypno either paras you or chips you down with psychic. Arcanine actually can be pretty threatening into double bug offense, so potentially it could start to see some more use, but it's pretty worthless outside of that MU.

Spr_2s_075.png

Super meme tier spinner. Graveler is slow as shit, has a horrible defensive type, and has puny special bulk so it takes a ton of damage from almost everything. At best you get 1 spin off vs Granbull, and then try to explode before immediately dying. Similarly to Sandslash, Blastoise is always going to be a better spinner, so there's really no use in using this guy. Even Sandslash is better at spinning lol.

Spr_2s_025.png

Pikachu is the strongest electric type in the tier with light ball and has surf to slam ground types, but it's killed so easily that it rarely is able to show off that impressive power. The inability to hold leftovers further weakens its already laughable defensive profile. It can work, but needs herculean support and is not worth it when there are a number of far superior electrics in the tier to use instead.

Spr_2g_061.png

Meme drummer who's kinda fast but is so weak both offensively and defensively. At least it's better than Poliwrath :worrywhirl:

Spr_2g_045.png

Bellossom and Victreebel are already bad, so when you fuse them together, you get something somehow even worse than either of them. The name really fits here because of how stinky this guy is. Absolute unmon.

And that's it! I hope you enjoyed reading this, and it was in some way a helpful resource for understanding the tier. For the tier veterans, I hope this VR will spark some discussion on the tier, and I would encourage you to make your own VR posts if your opinions differ from mine. I really hope the UU community will see some new faces as a result of the spotlight ladder and tour! Here's a visual representation of my tier list for those of you who don't want to spend an hour+ reading this entire post.
my-image.png

Last edited:
Hi all, I think I'm pretty much done with this tier, so I'm going to share some teams I've made that I think are good (or at least decent), with brief notes. Hope you enjoy if you use em! Click the teams for the pastes.

Thief Lead Electabuzz Offense
:gs/electabuzz::gs/qwilfish::gs/mr-mime::gs/granbull::gs/slowbro::gs/nidoqueen:

Use Buzz to cripple a bulky mon like Hypno or Piloswine early on, then rack up the damage with Spikes and Mime + Bull + Queen. You have no real normal resist here, so you've gotta use Bro and your own Bull to play around opposing Bull carefully (this is pretty typical of Slowbro teams).

Pursuit Ebuzz Lead + PsyCurse Hypno
:gs/electabuzz::gs/granbull::gs/omastar::gs/blastoise::gs/hypno::gs/piloswine:

Use Electabuzz to trap Haunter and force damage on Psychics. Once Haunter is gone, your Granbull goes to town. Hypno is able to pick up the slack if Electabuzz can't take Haunter out itself, but it needs to be kept healthy to be effective, so be careful around Mime (use Pilo to switch in if you need to).

Setup STABs Girafarig + HB Chansey
:gs/girafarig::gs/granbull::gs/chansey::gs/piloswine::gs/hypno::gs/gyarados:

Do as much damage with Giraffe right away as possible. You will just sweep some unprepared teams. If you can get off Heal Bell with Chansey to bring back a crippled Giraffe, all the better. Again, no Normal resist here, so you need to keep up the pressure on opposing Bull. You might be able to drop Chansey here and slot in a more offensive Pokemon instead.

Sleep + SDPass Offense
:gs/lanturn::gs/jumpluff::gs/scyther::gs/granbull::gs/haunter::gs/piloswine:

Use Jumpluff to cripple something, then let Scyther set up and pass SD if needed. Lanturn and Jumpluff work together to play around the Grounds. If you see a Nidoqueen, beat it down with Lanturn's Surf - don't worry about keeping Lanturn alive.

Double Ground Offense
:gs/nidoqueen::gs/mr-mime::gs/sandslash::gs/lanturn::gs/blastoise::gs/granbull:

Overwhelm the opponent with Earthquakes. No Normal resist here, so use Sandslash and your own Bull to make up for it. Gyarados is really dangerous for this team - keep Lanturn healthy.

HP Ghost Gyarados
:gs/mr-mime::gs/gyarados::gs/piloswine::gs/omastar::gs/qwilfish::gs/granbull:

Standard Mime Gyara, but hits opposing Psychics harder with HP Ghost Gyarados. Since it's harder to pressure Bull and Scyther without HP Flying, you have an Omastar to sit on them.

Sandslash Offense
:gs/magneton::gs/sandslash::gs/qwilfish::gs/jumpluff::gs/gyarados::gs/nidoqueen:

Very unconventional team that revolves around enabling Sandslash with Jumpluff and LK Queen. Magneton is your response to Psychics and Haunters, so be careful with it.

Reflect Hypno + Dodrio + LanturnPilo
:gs/hypno::gs/dodrio::gs/qwilfish::gs/haunter::gs/piloswine::gs/lanturn:

Standardish team featuring Dodrio for wallbreaking. You can use Scyther instead if you prefer to go for a sweep than to wallbreak.

Sandstorm Shuckle Stall
:gs/electabuzz::gs/shuckle::gs/crobat::gs/chansey::gs/granbull::gs/blastoise:

Shuckle Sandstorm pressures Pokemon like Scyther and Pinsir, even from behind a Sub. Sub + BP Mime is really dangerous for stall, and this set was meant to check that.

As to why I'm choosing to leave the tier, there's a number of reasons, but the most prominent is that the tier pretty much feels solved. Having played it in several tours, it really does feel like there is no reason to not just be bringing the standard Mime + Gyarados team to every game, and despite many attempts to innovate, it feels like nothing has really come close to the consistency of that team or one or two other ones. The tier's interactions are also just not enjoyable for me anymore. RestTalk stuff is tedious and yet optimal - switching your offensive threats into RestTalk mons is too great a risk due to their potential to be crippled, leaving them unable to break through the extreme bulk of Pokemon like Hypno later on. You're thus forced into these games where crits or freezes or paras have huge impacts on how games play out, and it's just not fun to do. More power to you if you still enjoy the tier, but it's not for me anymore. I'm of the opinion that Muk would improve the tier a lot with its potential to OHKO things with Explosion, something that almost never happens in this tier, so that would be the direction I hope the tier takes in the future. That's about it from me, and once again I hope you enjoy the teams!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, pp here. Between the spotlight ladder, ALTPL I, UUFPL III, and GSC Grand Slam, I've played a hell of a lot of GSC UU in the past 5 months. As such my opinion on a lot of pokemon has changed, so I wanted to take this opportunity to update my VR, as well as post the teams I've built throughout the year so far. Before I start I want to give a big shoutout to my friend and practice partner dawn who has been absolutely critical in helping me prep, practice, and build. She's nothing less than a master of GSC lower tiers, and I have her to thank for my success in this tier. With that out of the way, let's begin.

spr_e_210_2.png

S -> S-
This may come as a shock to many, but I think Granbull has taken a dip in viability as of late. Monobull in particular is very tough to make progress with because it can never get past its checks on its own, all of which are common and should be on 90%+ of teams. The most monobull tends to get down is tank a couple hits from Nidoqueen and prevent Haunter from trading, and while those can be valuable traits, they're often not worth taking up a slot on a mon that switches into so little. Other Granbull sets are still very good (I in particular am a big fan of 2 attacks resttalk), and it needs to be respected in the builder, but Granbull's inability to make meaningful progress with its best set has soured me on it a bit.

spr_e_221_2.png

A+ -> S-
I was already very high on Piloswine in January, but it has continued to prove itself to be an invaluable offensive/defensive piece of some of the most consistent teams in the tier. Without a dedicated check to stand in its way, pilo will absolutely bulldoze the opposition. All of this was true in January, but the frequency of those oh so famous pilo moments has elevated it from A+ to S- in my book. Being able to completely bypass your counters 10% of the time is insane, especially considering how easy it is to mindlessly click ice beam. The frequency of double pilo counter teams has risen greatly in the past few months, and I think that's telling of pilo's place in the meta.

spr_e_031_2.png

A -> A+
I was a bit overly critical of Nidoqueen on my last VR. I do still have issues with her struggles hitting the field, but once she does, she often creates progress that cannot be replicated by many other pokemon. The rise of electrics has been a huge boon for nido, as while the elecs are great at putting pressure on pilo, they struggle much more into nido because of her superior speed, bulk, and healing options. Nidoqueen's a bit more specific and less splashable than pilo, but she's nearly as good and should not be slept on.

spr_e_082_2.png

A- -> A
This might be a bit controversial, but I think mag is absolutely incredible right now. Building can be very restrictive in this tier, and so Magneton's ability to compress 2 vital roles, a Granbull check and a psychic check, into 1 is super valuable for shoring up offensive teams' defensive profile. Hard countering Haunter is similarly amazing, and with smart pivoting mag can stand up to Gyarados quite well too. Mag's got great offenses, 3hkoing Hypno and stinging pilo quite hard with hp water. It can sometimes be a little exploitable, but I think the role compression is important enough to elevate mag to A tier.

spr_e_160_2.png

B+ -> A-
So glad to finally see some high tour usage for gatr. One of the most underrated threats in the tier, and comes with the enormous pros of checking Piloswine, Scyther, and Nidoqueen while hitting other mons like Granbull and electrics very hard. Screech coupled with phenomenal coverage allows gatr to easily force switches racking up spikes damage and allowing it to heal passively which makes up for its inability to fit rest. Gatr absolutely crushes a lot of Blastoise teams, which are otherwise quite hard to crack, and its great bulk let it 1v1 a majority of the metagame. You have to be a little more involved when piloting gatr teams because it lacks rest, but if played well, I assure you'll get great milage out of gatr. Absolutely deserves to rise out of NUBL.

spr_e_080_2.png

B+ -> A-
I hated on Slowbro for a long time, but over the course of UUFPL III, I've come to really appreciate its unique talents. Slowbro is a wonderful blanket check to a ton of crazy dangerous physical attackers. It's one of if not the best answers to Pinsir and Feraligatr, which are otherwise ferocious wallbreakers that are hard to defensively answer for a lot of teams. Slowbro also checks all of Piloswine, Quagsire, Qwilfish, Hypno, and Blastoise, and even holds its own vs Scyther, Nidoqueen and Granbull. The poor matchup into mime and electrics is certainly worth the defensive security Slowbro provides, and even so, Slowbro's strong stabs discourage those mons from switching it. Slowbro's still quite vulnerable to crits, but I've really seen the light on this one, and I think it's a great choice as long as you can slot in solid answers to special attackers.

spr_e_195_2.png

B -> A-
Quag has diversified out of its role as a stall wincon, and has become a newage threat that boasts an impressive defensive repertoire, and has solid sweeping potential. Quag is one of the most dangerous recipients of attack boosts from the likes of Scyther and meditate pass mime, as its great typing and bulk make it difficult to easily bring down. The dearth of grass coverage also really helps it. Quag's defenses are good enough that it's own of very few mons that can run rest without the need for sleep talk, which allows it to slot in curse to pose a sweeping threat. Belly drum sets remain excellent on stall, but the gradual exploration and spread of Quag onto more offensive builds has really elevated it in viability in my eyes.

spr_e_139_2.png

A- -> B+
I've found building with Omastar quite difficult. While its Granbull checking ability is unparalleled, its low speed and lack of other good defensive matchups make it the least splashable of the 3 main normal resists. Even with hp electric, oma is quite easily stuffed by common waters, which then proceed to force it out as it can't really afford to 1v1 anything without putting its team in jeopardy. It's also quite middling into the bugs if forced to rest, especially without ice beam for Scyther. There are some teams where oma shines really bright, but it is far more specific and abusable than its competition and thus finds itself in B+.

spr_e_207_2.png

B -> B+
Gligar's lack of recovery make it tough to fit as a team's sole ground type, but it works wonders on double ground teams which I am a big fan of. Gligar is one of the safest possible Nidoqueen switch ins, which enables the use of pokemon like Ampharos which are otherwise shut down hard by nido. After the obligatory earthquake, Gligar has a number of tools to mess with the opponent. You want one of wing attack or hp rock to deal with the bugs, and then 2 of toxic, thief, screech, and counter can be used to round out the moveset. Thief and toxic ruin Gyarados, which otherwise hard counters Gligar, while screech lets you force damage on bulkier switch ins. Counter is a little less relevant now, but is still helpful for dealing with Pinsir. The spikes immunity lets Gligar stick around all game and makes it a great pivot. It's a bit specific, but on the teams Gligar fits on, it's a defining and important utility mon.

spr_e_181_2.png

B- -> B+
Similar to Gligar, Ampharos is hard to fit on teams, but it boasts one of the best defensive profiles that shuts down common offensive cores hard. Hard counter to both Lanturn and non DE Gyarados, which are otherwise really hard to safely switch in on. Ampharos eats their hits and then retaliates with devastating force. Its thunder 3hkos Hypno, 1hkos Scyther, puts a charge into Granbull, and it outruns and 3hkos Piloswine with its choice of fire punch or hp water. Amphy stomachs neutral special attacks well, meaning it can comfortably take on Mr. Mime and Electabuzz while not being nearly as passive as something like Hypno. It pairs beautifully with Blastoise which not only checks nido for it, but also spins to make it even more unbreakable. With electrics and pilo being so good and common, Ampharos has entered a renaissance, and as long as you can make up for its poor nido mu, it'll prove itself to be a great asset into the meta at large.

spr_e_189_2.png

B+ -> B
I'm not too big of a fan of Jumpluff's passivity. Because it can't do any meaningful damage, it becomes a bit of a sitting duck and forfeits a lot of momentum. Once it paras something, it no longer is able to make progress, as your opponent can just continuously switch in their para'd mon to deny any more status spreading. Encore trapping setup sweepers is a valuable role, but encore only has 8 pp, and it's weak to Scyther's stab, so pluff can often be forced into an uncomfortable position, especially by miracle berry variants. Don't get me wrong, Jumpluff is still good on teams that need support vs the bugs, but I find the free turns it gives the opponent to be a pretty serious drawback.

spr_e_199_2.png

B+ -> B
While I certainly have warmed on Slowbro, I unfortunately cannot say the same for Slowking. It has all the same problems Slowbro has, but the special bulk isn't nearly as useful because it's losing to the likes of mime and the electrics most of the time anyway. Being good into nido and gyara is nice, but in doing so you give up Slowbro's security vs the physical attackers you want your water to be able to handle. Slowking seems wholly inferior to Blastoise, who still does well into nido, is able to spin, and crucially has the speed and mixed bulk to help out vs pilo and friends. Slowking isn't terrible, but it's largely outclassed.

spr_e_113_2.png

B- -> B
The addition of counter to Chansey's moveset has helped make it less exploitable than it was before. Chansey has passivity issues, because even though present hits psychics, waters, and electrics for big damage, present Chansey has no way to deal with physical attackers, and so is super free entry. Counter at least prevents grounds and Granbull from bullying her, and her titanic special bulk means she still stalls out special attackers. You do have to give up on present and heal bell, but you also gain the ability to use twave and seismic toss, which gives Chansey some more depth to her game. She's still stall exclusive, but at least she has a bit more that she can viably do now, which makes her the best of the stall exclusive mons in my eyes.

spr_e_182_2.png

B -> B-
Bellossom has some interesting traits, but similarly to Jumpluff it has trouble getting anything done outside of paralyzing 1 mon. Its offensive output is pitiful, and so it's usually pigeonholed into a suboptimal defensive position that exists only to wall waters and electrics and pp stall. It can be kinda annoying to actually bring down, but it provides so little in return that it's not worth using in most circumstances. SD bello has kicked my ass a couple of times, and props to those who have managed to pull it off, but if we're being honest, I don't see it as much more than a mu fish.

spr_e_064_2.png

B -> B-
Kadabra is entirely outclassed by nightmare mime. Nonexistent bulk, and super telegraphed as to what it's going to do. The surprise factor is what makes nightmime so dangerous, and kad simply doesn't have that. It also can't run coverage moves if it uses recover, and as such struggles to even break Hypno, which is its only safe target. Kad only works on double or triple psychic teams that use thief mime, but I think those are flimsier than similar teams that use nightmime instead.

spr_e_185_2.png

Unranked -> C
Stupid funny HO boom lead. Has eq to keep Haunter out of its face, but it only gets selfdstruct so it comes up short vs a number of bulkier targets. It's pretty much a meme, but occasionally it can get a HO team off to a good start so I suppose it deserves to be ranked.

spr_e_141_2.png

B- -> C
Horrendous defensive typing, and weak stab mean that Kabutops is struggling to break any competent team. Only way it "consistently" sweeps is if it gets the ancient power omniboost, and between the bad typing and low pp, the chances of getting that off before it's crippled or killed are pretty abysmal.

my-image.png

Now that the VR update is done, let's move on to teams. It should be noted that building in this tier can be quite constricting, and so coming up with a 100% original team that's still viable isn't always possible. I wanted to preface with that because I think it's entirely possible (and even probable) that someone else could have independently built some of these teams on their own. If you see a team you built here, just know that I didn't steal from you. Great minds think alike I suppose. I also want to give dawn another shoutout here as she was involved in the building and testing of pretty much all of these, and she deserves credit for that.

spr_e_221_2.png
spr_e_122_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_093_2.png
spr_e_210_2.png
spr_e_130_2.png

https://pokepast.es/f76a2940a50b8d3f
Super standard mimegyara. Gyara has DE to help pressure bulky electrics which can be a problem for these teams. You don't really need roar imo when you have both pilo and gyara. Haunter is hypnosis to guard against suitbuzz since this team was built with Mr.378 in mind who uses a lot of suitbuzz + monobull. Other than that, it's extremely standard and is pretty easy to pick up and use. A good squad for beginners.

spr_e_127_2.png
spr_e_123_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_082_2.png
spr_e_031_2.png
spr_e_210_2.png

https://pokepast.es/8dec63d542e4c4e8
My take on double bug. Mag's role compression works wonders on this kind of team, as it allows you to have a slot for Qwilfish. Having a double resttalk core also allows you to take the game a little slower if need be. Nido checks elecs and can force damage on gyara which can be a problem for these kinds of teams. Granbull checks nido and gives you a safety net into opposing bugs which can be very dangerous. Best case scenario is to snipe Scyther with rock throw from Pinsir which ohkos after a boost.

spr_e_221_2.png
spr_e_171_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_093_2.png
spr_e_210_2.png
spr_e_160_2.png

spr_e_221_2.png
spr_e_171_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_093_2.png
spr_e_097_2.png
spr_e_160_2.png

https://pokepast.es/f9ad670e0904b09f
https://pokepast.es/7027d4e5a2047def
2 versions of the same team. Lantpilo can sometimes be a bit passive, so I slotted gatr in over the standard Blastoise to give the team some more offense. Gatr also improves the Scyther mu, so you can afford to drop Jumpluff. Because gatr is a bit flimsier into grounds, I opted for Granbull and reflect Hypno. Granbull is 2 attacks resttalk to maintain the good Nidoqueen mu while also being able to pressure Haunter which I found annoying in tests. Lanturn and gatr clapping Slowbro and Blastoise means that missing out on curse isn't as big of a deal. The Hypno variant is better into pilo as reflect turns it into a solid check and helps support gatr. Reflect Hypno still beats nido and gives you a psychic resists which can be helpful if Lanturn and/or Piloswine are chipped. I'd say the Hypno variant is better, but the Granbull variant is there for people who prefer more offense.

spr_e_097_2.png
spr_e_122_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_093_2.png
spr_e_221_2.png
spr_e_127_2.png

https://pokepast.es/fd6b6af7d4ac45cf
Nightmare mime is absolutely brutal offensively, but gives up resttalk mime's ability to safely check psychics. Hypno and pilo help shore up the psychic mu so nightmime can go to town. Thief on Haunter pairs beautifully with nightmare to really bring the hammer down on opposing Hypno and Piloswine. Pinsir is the pilo check and is further bolstered by reflect from Hypno. Something like Gyarados is probably a bit more consistent in that slot (which is why dawn passed me that variant of this team to use in UUFPL), but Pinsir has more immediate breaking power and functions just fine if played well.

spr_e_125_2.png
spr_e_122_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_093_2.png
spr_e_221_2.png
spr_e_080_2.png

https://pokepast.es/fe36564636819199
This is my favorite GSC UU team of all time. Nightmime is already insanely dangerous with 1 thief user, but 2 really pushes it over the edge. Double thief also enables Electabuzz, Haunter, and Slowbro to continuously apply pressure to opposing tanks, which forces early rests that mime can take advantage of. Slowbro backup checking Granbull means you can play Haunter more fast and loose, which can be vital in bringing down an opposing Lanturn or Ampharos, which otherwise can be tough to break since they threaten big damage on mime. Slowbro is also a nice stopgap vs bugs, especially Pinsir. This team is a ton of fun to pilot, and I encourage anyone who thinks this tier is boring and/or slow to give it a try. It very well might surprise you.

spr_e_097_2.png
spr_e_182_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_082_2.png
spr_e_028_2.png
spr_e_130_2.png

https://pokepast.es/cdb732d6c120e443
I wanted to give Sandslash an honest chance because everyone seems to shit on it, so I tried my hand at building a paraspam team. This is one of if not the best structure to put Bellossom on, as not only does it spread para, but also counters the water types that give slash trouble. Hypno and mag check psychics and spread para with twave and thunder respectively. Gyara checks pilo, waters, and bugs while also having thunder to further spread para. Sandslash doesn't always have to SD to be threatening. It has the same attack as pilo, so even unboosted its eqs put a charge into neutral targets, and with rock slide it checks Scyther quite well. Opposing gyara can be a challenge for this team, so make sure mag stays healthy and try to bait an hp flying or thunder for it to come in on. In an emergency you can also try 1v1ing it with your own gyara. Pinsir is another dangerous mon for this team. Statusing it with bello, and then getting gyara in is a solid line vs it. This team can be a bit challenging to pilot, but it's a pretty fun team to use for someone looking for something a little unorthodox.

spr_e_221_2.png
spr_e_123_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_080_2.png
spr_e_181_2.png
spr_e_009_2.png

https://pokepast.es/117e15939a7876a2
Amphystoise is a effective defensive core, and it most commonly seen on double ground teams, but here I opted to instead use Slowbro and light screen Scyther to back me up vs nidoqueen. Ls Scyther is a very dangerous set that preys upon pilo and other special/mixed attackers. Even though you have to drop DE, ls enables you to get a 2nd or sometimes even a 3rd SD, which cleans up games like nothing else. The problem with ls scy is that it's pretty bad into gyara, which is where amphy comes in. Ampharos is great at keeping gyara at bay, especially with Blastoise helping it stay healthy by keeping spikes off. I originally had Omastar in the Slowbro slot, but the team was far too passive and exploitable by wallbreakers. Slowbro solved that problem by giving the team a firm answer to Pinsir and Feraligatr, while also doing well enough into Granbull and Scyther. Having Blastoise as backup for pilo means Slowbro doesn't get overwhelmed trying to answer every physical attacker.

spr_e_125_2.png
spr_e_210_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_082_2.png
spr_e_031_2.png
spr_e_009_2.png

https://pokepast.es/b3a062f15fbedc59
Suitbuzz teams are at a pretty bad place in the meta right now. But nonetheless, I tried my best to build one that takes full advantage of Haunter's removal. Monobull and Blastoise are classic suitbuzz partners, but that only leaves 3 slots to fill out the rest of the team. Mag's ability to compress roles once again comes in clutch, and allows me to fit Qwilfish whose spikes further bolster buzz's ability to trap Haunter. Nidoqueen patches up the team vs bulky electrics which would otherwise clean house, while also being less exploitable by Pinsir. Despite my best efforts, I still think this team is defensively flawed. Having to dedicate the 1st 2 slots to buzz and monobull sacrifices a lot of defensive integrity and doesn't allow for the team to be as comfortable into bugs as ideal. Try to give Scyther/Pinsir as little room as possible when using this team, as they can get out of hand rather quickly.

spr_e_122_2.png
spr_e_127_2.png
spr_e_211_2.png
spr_e_082_2.png
spr_e_031_2.png
spr_e_160_2.png

https://pokepast.es/9d389bf9afc51291
On their own, Pinsir and gatr can have trouble checking pilo long term due to their lack of rest. But together, they back each other up vs pilo and provide an unrelenting amount of offense. I only built this team a few days ago, so it hasn't been as thoroughly tested as the others. Just looking at it, it looks a bit nido weak. Potentially mag can be replaced, but I like it as a backup psychic check that can break through Hypno. Other than mag, the team doesn't really let in nido safely, but further testing is probably needed to make any sort of definitive statement. In theory this should work, but I suppose use at your own risk for now.

And that's about it. I've really been enjoying GSC UU as of late, but after 2 teamtours, 2 individual tours, and grinding out #2 on the spotlight ladder, I'm due for a bit of a break. I won't be around this summer, so really quickly I want to mention Aerodactyl in this outro since I probably won't have time to write up a substantial post on it. In short, I think it's a fine addition to the tier that limits Scyther's destructive abilities. It also provides some nice role compression since it can check monobull. Securing the mu vs Scyther allows for the return of sets like ls Hypno, which are currently almost unusable due to how vulnerable they are to scy. Aero is easily checked by pilo and waters, which are all common and good. I don't ever see it being an overbearing offensive presence, even when passed an SD (it's no more dangerous than Dodrio in my opinion). I prefer an aero unban to a Scyther ban, as I think Scyther's ability to punish resttalkers is a valuable component of the metagame, and while it should be limited in its efficacy, I don't necessarily think removing it entirely is the best option. That's just my opinion though, and I suppose I'm open to a Scyther ban if enough people are against the idea of freeing aero. Anyway, that's about all I feel I need to say. I highly encourage other UUers to post their thoughts and teams here. Hoping to see some more activity in this thread soon! Peace out and enjoy the teams :)

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Aero Posting

Aero Posting

Just gonna talk about the Aerodactyl teams I used during GSC Slam.

:gs/lanturn: :gs/piloswine: :gs/aerodactyl: :gs/haunter: :gs/blastoise: :gs/qwilfish:
https://pokepast.es/65d11ab2a8899cc6
Pretty basic team. Relatively standard Lanturn Pilo but with Aerodactyl instead of Jumpluff or Gligar. Aero is much more similar to Jumpluff than Gligar because it's super fast and checks Scyther and Pinsir while Gligar is mostly used for Nidoqueen. Not much exciting here, Aero is Curse Rock Eq because obviously and Roar is used because I hate Granbull. Protect would also be fine.

:gs/hypno: :gs/scyther: :gs/qwilfish: :gs/aerodactyl: :gs/nidoqueen: :gs/feraligatr:
https://pokepast.es/3dd495c925b51f85
As evidenced by the team name, this is something pp's splash town gave to me when I was asking for teams because I had never seriously played GSC UU in a tournament up until Slam. Light Screen Hypno + Nidoqueen and Scyther is the main crux of the team, super super good combination. Steel wing on Scyther for Aerodactyl obviously, wing attack dropped instead of double-edge because power = good and wing attack has minimal super effective coverage (Pinsir and other Scyther are covered by Aero). Aero is rest here probably because the team has more issue pressuring Granbull with non-reflect Hypno and Nidoqueen around. Feraligatr is the main Piloswine check, btw Gatr is really really good people should use it more.

:gs/hypno: :gs/magneton: :gs/blastoise: :gs/aerodactyl: :gs/qwilfish: :gs/nidoqueen:
https://pokepast.es/1079e651df3ec447
The first team I built fully by myself. Once again, the combo of LS Hypno and Nidoqueen shines. Magneton and Blastoise are an amazing defensive combination that unfortunately tends to open your team up to Scyther and Pinsir, which is where Aerodactyl comes in and shuts them down. Magneton + Aero is also a really good combination for the purpose of shutting down Granbull, as Thunder/HP Rock sets are covered by Magneton, HP Ground sets are covered by Aero, and Granbull with both Thunder and HP Ground are really bad. Aerodactyl is roar here because HP Ground Granbull will either have minimal longevity (curse ground) or get bullied by Aero boosting up (resttalk ground) and Curse Ground Bull really doesn't like being phazed out with Spikes up. I really really like this team, I think it's a shining example of how well Aerodactyl can work on specific squads.

:gs/piloswine: :gs/hypno: :gs/ampharos: :gs/aerodactyl: :gs/qwilfish: :gs/feraligatr:
https://pokepast.es/018a5625e94889cd
The other team I built by myself, this time centering around Ampharos + Piloswine. Ampharos is a really really good pokemon, effortlessly taking on water types (which were even more common than usual during Slam) allowing it to be a great partner for Pilo and Aero. Pilo is here over Nido because Mr. Mime and Hypno are problems otherwise and Ampharos does just fine to handle opposing electrics. Aero is roar because this team cannot afford to have an Aero without phazing when going up against Curse Talk Bull. Gatr does its usual job, with the help of reflect from Hypno too. Good pokemon. I also quite like this team.

Pretty short, but GSC UU Open wasn't the longest tournament and I reused teams once or twice throughout the tour, so I just wanted to shine light on the ones I used that did happen to have an Aerodactyl.

#FREEAEROGSCUU
:gs/aerodactyl:

This shouldn't come as news but for the readers going through this thread I don't think that Piloswine should be banned anymore.

I never had trouble facing it and I'm confident in my ability to play around it. I simply found it boring to have to play around Lanturn Piloswine threats. It's a great mon but honestly the thing has started to fall off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)