Gen 2 GSC OU Team Classification System

This is an idea that I’ve had for a while and wanted to formalize. There are thousands of useful teams one can make in the GSC OU metagame. However, because of the limited number of mons that keep recurring in said teams, and even the way in which unique teams will have conserved elements, I found that one can usefully list teams using a maximum of 6 (usually 5 or even 4) number system, as a shorthand. Below is my attempt to make as useful and objective of a criteria for such a categorization convention. Asterisks will denote exceptions to the convention and will be addressed further down.

1. The first number denotes the identity of the spiker used. 1 for Cloyster, 2 for Forretress.*

2. The second number denotes the identity of the electric pokemon used. 1 for Zapdos, 2 for Raikou.**

3. The last three numbers are combinations of numbers from 1-19 uniquely identifying the non Snorlax, Electric, Spiker components of the team. Looking at the recent history of the metagame, (last 2~3 years) I was able to determine that the top 25 pokemon (what is essentially OU) in the tier have remained conserved, in spite of changes to the metagame. So, given that we do not need to assign a number to Snorlax, legendary electrics or a spiker, we only have 19. I have arranged them in as logical of a structure as I can below, breaking them into 5 categories generally alphabetically ordered within categories, except for what I believe are justified exceptions.

Boom / Utility

1 :gs/gengar: Gengar

2 :gs/exeggutor: Exeggutor

Normal Resist

3 :gs/golem: Golem

4 :gs/skarmory: Skarmory

5 :gs/steelix: Steelix

6 :gs/tyranitar: Tyranitar

7 :gs/rhydon: Rhydon

Offensive / Sweeper

8 :gs/nidoking: Nidoking

9 :gs/heracross: Heracross

10:gs/jynx: Jynx

11:gs/machamp: Machamp

12:gs/marowak: Marowak

13:gs/vaporeon: Vaporeon

Defensive / Glue

14:gs/starmie: Starmie

15:gs/misdreavus: Misdreavus

16:gs/suicune: Suicune

17:gs/umbreon: Umbreon

Heal Bell

18:gs/blissey: Blissey

19:gs/miltank: Miltank

Examples:

With this we can assign a shorthand for all teams that use combinations of the 25 OU mons. I have chosen some from the RoA Sample Team thread to illustrate:

Nidoking + Gengar Offense
:snorlax::zapdos::nidoking::gengar::steelix::cloyster:

Double DogBoom Stall
:snorlax::raikou::suicune::cloyster::golem::skarmory:

Starmie + Forretress Stall
:snorlax::raikou::forretress::starmie::skarmory::umbreon:

What about all the exceptions fam?!

*Team without a spiker –Put 0 at the beginning, to denote no spiker. Use the numbering system above to complete the shorthand name.

Rest Marowak + Belly Drum Snorlax + Heal Bell Support
:raikou::miltank::starmie::snorlax::skarmory::marowak:

**Team with both or no legendary electrics – If both electrics are used, put 3 in the second number.

Double Elec + UmbreonSkarm + Belly Drum Snorlax
:raikou::zapdos::snorlax::cloyster::skarmory::umbreon:

If neither electric is used, put 0 in the second number.

:forretress::snorlax::steelix::machamp::vaporeon::gengar:

Team uses non OU mons – So honestly, I think the best way would be to append an abbreviated version of the name of the non OU last(s) at the end, i.e. something like .Zard or .Cruel. I will admit it’s a bit weird, because there’s no accepted list of abbreviations for pokemon, for GSC or otherwise. Still I will post an example, and the format should work in practice.

:cloyster::zapdos::machamp::snorlax::tyranitar::jolteon:
1.1.6.11.Jolt

Team uses spikes Smeargle or Qwilfish – These are pretty rare circumstances, so notation of 0 at the beginning for Team without spiker should work.

Team does not have Snorlax – If you’re not Celia, Earthworm, Fear, or one of the other legends of this tier, go ahead and place a ? at the beginning of the shorthand name.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Just thought I’d share it, and hope some of you all might find it useful. :)

Team does not have Snorlax – If you’re not Celia, Earthworm, Fear, or one of the other legends of this tier, go ahead and place a ? at the beginning of the shorthand name.
Explain?

Anyway I am pretty happy just for understanding the annotation, which is pretty cool.

Actually, ? is a bad move. ?! is a dubious move that can't be refuted directly, whereas !? is a highly original move that may not be entirely sound. The single ! denotes a good move, !! is a brilliant move, and the ?? is simply a disastrous blunder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)