Lower Tiers GSC NU Discussion

I made this team a few weeks ago and I am getting good results for once, so I decided to post it here and see what you guys think.
https://pokepast.es/6e117e7dafa5793e

Dragonair @ Leftovers
- Light Screen/Safeguard
- Thunder
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast

This is the lead. Light Screen lets Dragonair stay in more easily on the Fire types, Chinchou and support the rest of the team nicely, while trying to dish out paralysis with Thunder. Surf makes the Ground types that are immune to Electric not want to stay in, also being the most accurate move of this set could be potencially useful to finish off a weakened foe. Fire Blast hits the common Pineco lead hard, leaving it in range for Surf and mostly unable to use Explosion later on the match. Safeguard could be useful for preventing status on it, but Dragonair is usually slower then most Toxic or Hypnosis users in the tier such as Ninetales, so you will just get statused before you can use Safeguard, but the status immunity can be useful for Chinchou's Thunder, switching in a teammate on a status move or allowing Dragonair to use Hydro Pump instead of Surf for the extra kick, since Hydro Pump and Light Screen are not allowed together.

Dewgong @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Dewgong is meant to take on the faster sleeping leads that pose a threat to Dragonair, like Rapidash, Persian or Ninetales and is a solid early game check to Dugtrio, Xatu and the Fires so the rest of Dewgong's offensive teammates can have a easier time on setting up and attacking. You could Chinchou here instead, but then Kingler would be your primary check to Dugtrio, diminishing its ability to take on Xatu and the Fires types packing super effective coverage.

Kingler @ Leftovers
IVs: 14 HP / 24 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Body Slam
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I love this set very much and I use it on most of my teams. The concept is behind this is very simple, obvious yet effective. Swords Dance on some RestTalking Water(bar Chinchou) or Paralised mon and start ripping everything apart to fucking shreds. Body slam hits insanely hard after a boost, and the paralysis chance makes Kingler even more impossible to wall, Double Edge is a strong attack to throw out immediately if you didn't get a chance to use Swords Dance, but you should be careful about the recoil. Boosted HP Ground absolutely destroys Chinchou and the rare Gastly(Yes, Nu is a tier where even G a s t l y is viable.), and 2HKOs Weezing and Sudowoodo, the latter is particular has very few options against a full health Kingler besides Self-Destruct, which can potencially open the game for Flareon to take over.

Flareon @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast
Say "No" to GrowthPass and say "Sure why not" to Curse Flareon and it will prove you that it's worth a spot on your team. Light Screen support from Dragonair makes this set an absolute menace, even STAB Surfs will barely be hurting Flareon behind the screen, due to its amazing special defense. This set is weak to status, but even you got poisoned by a Toxic along the way, Flareon is still very difficult to stall out until the poison finishes it off, potencially getting crucial Body Slam paralysis on some key targets like Weezing or just dealing huge amounts of damage with Flareon's powerful attacks and coverage.

Primeape @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Double-Edge/Rock Slide
- Cross Chop
- Substitute

Oh boy, here we go. This is my favorite set ever.
Mixed Primeape can sound very stupid and dumb, but then you realize that Thunder is the hardest hit that Primeape has on Xatu, dealing just a bit more damage than Rock Slide, the 30% Paralysis rate more than makes up for Thunder's low accuracy. Substitute makes scouting out that Xatu or Weezing easier if you don't want to risk missing the prediction or the Thunder. Cross Chop is the mandatory STAB attack and Double Edge is there because the other moves' accuracy can really be frustrating and it offers a strong neutral attack on everything on the tier, but Rock Slide can be used for paraflinch hax alongside Thunder, if you know how to save your flinches for the right moment.

Xatu @ Leftovers
IVs: 6 HP / 24 Atk / 24 Def
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Haze

To be honest with you, I just threw in this Xatu set into the team last minute because I needed the last member and that's it. HP Fighting is here because everyone deciced to use Sneasel all the time, and HP Fighting allows Xatu to take it out very efficently. Haze is here because of the occasional Baton Pass team that usually is able to bulldoze through this team due to its general slow pace. I'm pretty sure this is the most changeable spot on the team and you could use some other Xatu set, or even another pokemon, the preference should go to a Hazer, like Weezing or a Phazer (even though the Phazing options on NU arent great), or otherwise Baton Pass is going to run you over badly.

Forgive me for any writing errors.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I recently picked this tier up to satisify the never ending requests of "GSC NU anyone" in the RoA chat. 100 games later, I can thoroughly say it's a very enjoyable tier. Well rewinding back to 40 games later, I was hardly a professional, but I gave building my own team a go. I really wasn't unhappy with the finished product even if it has its flaws. I have garned quite a few wins with it as well (sorry about haxing you all those times Sevi).

1598642243960.png
1598642316771.png
1598642360379.png
1598642393552.png
1598642438312.png
1598642480396.png

Le Kingler Offense

The first choice to the team as Kingler. Sky high attack and great defenses + swords dance, all I could think about was him just smashing stuff. It just looked to good to be true. With his insane breaking power, I then turned look for a Pokemon who could capitalize on weakened teams. Thus Dugtrio was added. His not to shabby attack + plus being the fastest Pokemon in the tier seemed like the perfect choice. He has pretty good coverage with Earthquake + Rock Slide, so I thought "why not give him a go". Now on to who to add next. I had been seeing a lot of Chinchou in games and been seeing talk about how good it is on the forums. Given his STABs, neither of my first two team members would really want to switch into him as well. So I searched for a hard wall to Chinchou as my next choice. The team really just needed a water absorber (kingler has lack luster SpDef, and its in the teams best interest to keep him healthy). Exeggcute was appealing here, but honestly something seemed wrong about the choice. Parasect was interesting as well, and seemed a better fit. The little bug boasts Spore over sleep powder (lets be honest, sleep powders accuracy is really like 1% in practice lol) and better defenses. Both were great options but Parasect was my choice in the end. Fitted into my team as a lead, I figured that Parasect could grab a spore T1 or if faced vs a fire type hard swap into Kingler and start smashing. Weezing + Xatu were the "oh they are S rank so lets use them" additions both help with adding defenisive solidity to the team cause Xatu is just great and Weezing can wall those obnoxious curse normal spams. My last choice was common sense. This team is revolving around dishing out damage to soften an opponent up for a Duggy sweep, so the addition of spikes is necessary, and there is no better setter then pineco to my knowledge (lmk if I am wrong). really the final product wasn't perfect here, but it does work.

Parasect @ Leftovers
Ability: none
IVs: 26 Atk / 26 Def
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Stun Spore

Kingler @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Xatu @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Drill Peck

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Explosion

Dugtrio @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Pineco @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Protect
- Spikes

I recently picked this tier up to satisify the never ending requests of "GSC NU anyone" in the RoA chat. 100 games later, I can thoroughly say it's a very enjoyable tier. Well rewinding back to 40 games later, I was hardly a professional, but I gave building my own team a go. I really wasn't unhappy with the finished product even if it has its flaws. I have garned quite a few wins with it as well (sorry about haxing you all those times Sevi).

View attachment 272059 View attachment 272061 View attachment 272063 View attachment 272064 View attachment 272065 View attachment 272066
Le Kingler Offense

The first choice to the team as Kingler. Sky high attack and great defenses + swords dance, all I could think about was him just smashing stuff. It just looked to good to be true. With his insane breaking power, I then turned look for a Pokemon who could capitalize on weakened teams. Thus Dugtrio was added. His not to shabby attack + plus being the fastest Pokemon in the tier seemed like the perfect choice. He has pretty good coverage with Earthquake + Rock Slide, so I thought "why not give him a go". Now on to who to add next. I had been seeing a lot of Chinchou in games and been seeing talk about how good it is on the forums. Given his STABs, neither of my first two team members would really want to switch into him as well. So I searched for a hard wall to Chinchou as my next choice. The team really just needed a water absorber (kingler has lack luster SpDef, and its in the teams best interest to keep him healthy). Exeggcute was appealing here, but honestly something seemed wrong about the choice. Parasect was interesting as well, and seemed a better fit. The little bug boasts Spore over sleep powder (lets be honest, sleep powders accuracy is really like 1% in practice lol) and better defenses. Both were great options but Parasect was my choice in the end. Fitted into my team as a lead, I figured that Parasect could grab a spore T1 or if faced vs a fire type hard swap into Kingler and start smashing. Weezing + Xatu were the "oh they are S rank so lets use them" additions both help with adding defenisive solidity to the team cause Xatu is just great and Weezing can wall those obnoxious curse normal spams. My last choice was common sense. This team is revolving around dishing out damage to soften an opponent up for a Duggy sweep, so the addition of spikes is necessary, and there is no better setter then pineco to my knowledge (lmk if I am wrong). really the final product wasn't perfect here, but it does work.

Parasect @ Leftovers
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Stun Spore

Kingler @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Xatu @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Drill Peck

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Explosion

Dugtrio @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Pineco @ Leftovers
Serious Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Protect
- Spikes
Who’s your lead on this team? Fire-type leads are pretty common and nobody on your team comfortably switches in on them. You said you’ve had success with this team so I’m guessing you’ve been finding ways around this issue.

FNH

Who’s your lead on this team? Fire-type leads are pretty common and nobody on your team comfortably switches in on them. You said you’ve had success with this team so I’m guessing you’ve been finding ways around this issue.
"Fitted into my team as a lead, I figured that Parasect could grab a spore T1 or if faced vs a fire type hard swap into Kingler and start smashing."

- Legendary Pokemon player FNH

That aside, you raise a valid point. With one resist, sunny day teams can be a bit difficult to deal with. My original mentality was "the more fire types the better" as they would lead to a easy Duggy sweep late game. But in practice mitigating damage dealt from the raw power sun boosted Fire Blasts can be quite difficult. I only have one resist and he doesn't boast great SpDef. Playing a more aggresive style by getting spikes up ASAP and trying to punish them for going for the Sunny Day has worked in some games, but can in truth fall short of the W. Given how common fire types are as well, a strategy of haxxing outplaying my opponent doesn't always work. Thank you for the feedback and do you have any suggested changes I coud make to help mitigate this problem?

I’ve personally battled against FnH using this team a couple times and if I could make a few suggestions then here they are

As Marowhacked mentioned your team is lacking in Fire Resists. Sunny Day teams are currently popular and very powerful in the metagame and your team struggles especially against Magmar, especially if it’s paired with a check to Dugtrio such as Exeggcute or Kingler. Bc of this I really think Ninetales would be a good fit on your team. It’s one of the most reliable Pokémon in the tier and fits well on your team since you don’t struggle with Dewgong much and your Parasect walls Chinchou. If I could suggest one team member to replace it would most likely be Primeape since it doesn’t really contribute much to your team offensively. Also I’m curios as to why your running Hp Bug on Dugtrio, since Sludge Bomb almost always does Hp Bug’s role of hitting Grasses hard better(outside of Exeggcute who stil gets 3HKOd by Sludge Bomb).

View attachment 272059 View attachment 272061 View attachment 272063 View attachment 272064 View attachment 272065 View attachment 272066
Le Kingler Offense

Parasect @ Leftovers
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Stun Spore

Kingler @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Xatu @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Drill Peck

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Explosion

Dugtrio @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Pineco @ Leftovers
Serious Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Protect
- Spikes

FNH

If I could suggest one team member to replace it would most likely be Primeape since it doesn’t really contribute much to your team offensively.
I don't have Primeape. Who do you suggest I replace, since this was probably a typo.

Also I’m curios as to why your running Hp Bug on Dugtrio, since Sludge Bomb almost always does Hp Bug’s role of hitting Grasses hard better(outside of Exeggcute who stil gets 3HKOd by Sludge Bomb).
Hp Bug was based off my observations from playing. Exeggcute seemed to be the only grass type I ever saw, but what you said makes sense. I will change that.

Lmao, I must of misread Primeape over Pineco, my b, your probably better replacing Weezing then, since you can revenge kill normal types somewhat effectively with Ninetales and Weezing wouldn’t really provide much to your team outside of Explosion. For Ninetales, I think Flamethrower, Toxic, Rest and Sleep Talk is your best bet for it. Also one last thing I could of mentioned is running Hp Grass over Giga Drain on Parasect. Giga Drain, while good has two flaws, it’s bad PP and the fact that GDrain fails against Substitute which is bad against Sub Dugtrio make it overall worse then Hp Grass imo

Last edited:

FNH

Lmao, I must of misread Primeape over Pineco, my b, your probably better replacing Weezing then, since you can check normal types somewhat effectively with Ninetales and Weezing wouldn’t really provide much. Also one last thing I could of mentioned is running Hp Grass over Giga Drain on Parasect. Giga Drain, while good has two flaws, it’s bad PP and the fact that GDrain fails against Substitute which is bad against Sub Dugtrio make it overall worse then Hp Grass imo
Ninetails is a mon you have been hyping and having used him a bit myself (thanks for teams fam!) I can get on board with this change. As for Giga drain I beg to differ. You recommended this change for Sub Dug, but

Parasect Hidden Power Bug vs. Dugtrio: 110-130 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which I thought hit plenty hard to warrent using Giga Drain. Really what it was, was I didnt really have much that worked on that slot so I was looking for something else to use. Though in hindsight, im not gaining much with Hp Bug for what to hit (Bar Exeggcute and some other grass types). I'll reconsider for sure. Thank you for the input!

"Fitted into my team as a lead, I figured that Parasect could grab a spore T1 or if faced vs a fire type hard swap into Kingler and start smashing."

- Legendary Pokemon player FNH

That aside, you raise a valid point. With one resist, sunny day teams can be a bit difficult to deal with. My original mentality was "the more fire types the better" as they would lead to a easy Duggy sweep late game. But in practice mitigating damage dealt from the raw power sun boosted Fire Blasts can be quite difficult. I only have one resist and he doesn't boast great SpDef. Playing a more aggresive style by getting spikes up ASAP and trying to punish them for going for the Sunny Day has worked in some games, but can in truth fall short of the W. Given how common fire types are as well, a strategy of haxxing outplaying my opponent doesn't always work. Thank you for the feedback and do you have any suggested changes I coud make to help mitigate this problem?
Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing lol. One option to patch up the fire weakness is Dragonair, who has a ton of support options. Kingler would really appreciate the paralysis and screen support that Dragonair gives and you can also give it haze to free up a slot for a coverage move on Weezing. There aren’t any obvious weak links in your team but if I had to pick one to replace it might be Pineco. I would maybe lean towards Parasect but it’s cool af that you’re using it.

FNH

There aren’t any obvious weak links in your team but if I had to pick one to replace it might be Pineco
Replacing Pineco is a hard no. Spikes support is essential and game chaning especially for a team like this that is more offensively oriented. That on top of being able to boom is really really useful for grabbing momentum. On the other hand I could drop paresect. Dragonair seems to fit well in Parasects place, although I will lose sleep support and a really hard Chinchou wall. I'll test it out when I get a chance.

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
FNH, you might want to choose a different lead instead of Parasect. Thanks to Lead Rapidash being everywhere, using Parasect risks handing over offensive momentum to your opponent. I would probably replace Parasect with Rapidash for your lead slot who is much faster and also provides crucial though inaccurate Sleep Support in Hypnosis. Chinchou shouldn't be all that big of an issue for your team since you have Kingler and Dugtrio to pivot into Chinchou's Surfs and Thunders.

Kingler's set definitely needs some fixing. I would fix Kingler's set to Crabhammer/HP Rock or HP Fighting/Swords Dance/Substitute.

Last edited:

FNH

FNH, you might want to choose a different lead instead of Parasect. Thanks to Lead Rapidash being everywhere, using Parasect risks handing over offensive momentum to your opponent.

- Pokemon's Greatest Player FNH
I would probably replace Parasect with Rapidash for your lead slot who is much faster and also provides crucial though inaccurate Sleep Support in Hypnosis. Chinchou shouldn't be all that big of an issue for your team since you have Kingler and Dugtrio to pivot into Chinchou's Surfs and Thunders.
"I had been seeing a lot of Chinchou in games and been seeing talk about how good it is on the forums. Given his STABs, neither of my first two team members would really want to switch into him as well. So I searched for a hard wall to Chinchou as my next choice. The team really just needed a water absorber (kingler has lack luster SpDef, and its in the teams best interest to keep him healthy)."
Well say Chinchou is in vs me. It creates a hard 50/50. I go Kingler and he Thunders. Game Over. I go Dugtrio on a Surf. Game Over. Not to mention that replacing Parasect for Rapidash, I lose both paralysis support and sleep. Rapidash>Parasect doesn't really seem to fit the billet here. Thank you for your feedback though!

Gamer1234556

Well, considering that Fire-Type Leads are so common nowadays, you might get your switch in chipped by HP Grass or slept by Hypnosis. Then you would have to rely on Sleep Talk and pray that the odds are in your favor and that you don't get KOed by HP Grass as a result.

"I had been seeing a lot of Chinchou in games and been seeing talk about how good it is on the forums. Given his STABs, neither of my first two team members would really want to switch into him as well. So I searched for a hard wall to Chinchou as my next choice. The team really just needed a water absorber (kingler has lack luster SpDef, and its in the teams best interest to keep him healthy)."
Well, depending on what situation you might be in, you could pivot Kingler into Chinchou's Surf and then Dugtrio into a predicted Thunder. Of course, it is prediction reliant, but it is still a way to deal with Chinchou. Even if you predict wrong and get one of your mons killed by Chinchou, you can freely switch in Dugtrio in and revenge kill it.

Also, Rapidash does have Hypnosis, I mentioned this earlier. It also has Body Slam for Paralysis Support.

Last edited:

FNH

you could pivot Kingler into Chinchou's Surf and then Dugtrio into a predicted Thunder. Of course, it is prediction reliant, but it is still a way to deal with Chinchou. Even if you predict wrong and get one of your mons killed by Chinchou, you can freely switch in Dugtrio in and revenge kill it.
What happens when that mon that is Ko'd is Dugtrio?

Anyway tbh I really feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point, but I do appreciate the feedback though!

Gamer1234556

What happens when that mon that is Ko'd is Dugtrio?

Anyway tbh I really feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point, but I do appreciate the feedback though!
Well, you are going to have to be more specific about that example. I am not exactly sure of a scenario when Dugtrio would be KOed by Chinchou upon switching in.

GSC NU
Speed Tiers
:gs/Dugtrio: :gs/fearow: :gs/Xatu: :gs/Persian: :gs/Sneasel:

Here are the GSC NU Speed Tiers
* if the Pokemon uses a speed boosting move like Agility or commonly has Speed passed to it
(also I only put Pokemon on here if they are currently relevant in the metagame)
Tier 1: 100 and above

120: :Dugtrio:

115: :Persian: :Sneasel:

105: :rapidash:

100: :fearow:* :ninetales: :voltorb:

Tier 2: 85 to 97

97: :raticate:

95: :Xatu: :primeape: :Elekid:

93: :magmar:

91: :Murkrow: :pidgeot:*

90: :venomoth: :furret: :poliwhirl:* :abra:

87: :hitmonlee:

85: :AiPom*: :ledian:* :Seadra:* :stantler: :staryu:

Tier 3: 80 to 65

80: :arbok: :charmeleon: :gastly:

76: :hitmonchan:*

75: :beedrill:* :Kingler:* :delibird:

70: :dewgong: :hitmontop: :mantine: :noctowl: :dragonair: :onix: :tentacool:

68: :seaking:

67: :chinchou:

65: :flareon: :Houndour:

Tier 4: 60 to 45

60: :farfetch’d*:* :tangela: :weezing: :bayleef: :ivysaur:

58: :croconaw: :wartortle:

55: :weepinbell:

51: :pupitar:*

50: :azumarill:

45: :octillery*: :Dunsparce: :wigglytuff: :Machoke: :magnemite:

Tier 5: 42 to 30

42: :drowzee:

40: :gloom: :exeggcute: :ariados:* :Porygon:

35: :graveler: :Corsola: :Cubone:*

30: :lickitung*::magcargo: :parasect: :sudowoodo: :sunflora: :snubbull:

Tier 6: 25 and below

25: :rhyhorn:

15: :pineco: :slowpoke:

5: :shuckle:

Last edited:
Its been a while since the last discussion on GSC NU, so I’d like to share a few unique and cool sets I’ve been using recently

4E782444-597B-4D7B-9472-35ED3F512568.png

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: None
IVs: 14 HP / 28 Atk
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Toxic
- Protect

ToxTect Xatu is a really cool set. It’s able to spread Poison easily on Pokemon that switch into Xatu such as Dewgong, which slowly wears it down during the game, forcing it to Rest or even weakening it into Hidden Power Electric range.

B8E1CBDC-F7B4-4ECF-8A62-DAEE88FBDC56.png

Magnemite @ Leftovers
IVs: 26 Def
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility
- Substitute

Agility Magnemite is a potent late game cleaner. It’s able to clean up offensive teams up nicely if it manages to setup safely, although it can require some prediction

6900F8B0-7E85-4929-942E-2AC032BC3105.png

Octillery @ Leftovers
- Amnesia
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Surf
- Ice Beam

With the near omnipresence of Chinchou in the metagame, Octilllery had a decent decline in usage. This set aims to remedy that, with Hidden Power Ground cleanly 2HKOing Chinchou while Octillery neuter the damage it takes from Thunder with Amnesia.

071D29E3-4F2A-4FE0-A06C-533B5684B118.png

Ninetales @ Leftovers
- Flamethrower
- Reflect
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

While RestTalk/Toxic Ninetales has been one of the most defining Pokemon in the metagame for some time now, Reflect is underatted on it I feel. With this, it checks Primeape in particular much easier, while supporting its teamates. It pairs very well with Light Screen RestTalk Azumarill as well

C5E961BA-C425-4430-A039-E88711EBAB05.png

Dewgong @ Leftovers
IVs: 6 HP / 28 Atk / 28 Def
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rain Dance

Offensive RD Dewgong can be a surprising pain for defensive teams lacking an Azumarill, since even Chinchou can get chipped by Hidden Power Grass on the switch

9F887D5A-EADA-4458-B2C4-81433D2B5D35.png

Seaking @ Pink Bow
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Flail
- Endure

This looks like a complete meme of a set, but as seen here, it can be hilariously deadly when setup

0C5AED98-8FEC-45C0-8EA5-3D22FD787647.png

Omanyte
- Surf
- Thief
- Rest

Omanyte is a new addition to the “ Great LC mon “ club. It completely counters the dangerous Dunsparce and Curse Wigglytuff, while also checking the dangerous Kingler(without Hidden Power Ground). Thief makes it an even better check to the Normal-types aswell. All in all, a solid mon I’ve had success with

susciety

Under the Alolan moon
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Host
OUPL Champion
Have been asked by someone who shall not be named to post about this set:

:gs/Dewgong:

Dewgong @ Leftovers
- Encore
- Ice Beam/Surf
- Protect
- Toxic

Issue with the conventional Rest/Sleep Talk/Ice Beam/Surf set is it 1. Forces awkward stalemates against other bulky waters (opposing Dewgong and Octillery mainly) and 2. Has the tendency to allow progressive mons in such as Stantler and Primeape as you rest.

With encore and toxic, Dewgong is able to force progress by abusing said resttalk mons as well as spread status after encoring. Ice beam is the preferred move here for coverage (and the freeze chance). Surf can be used if Magmar, Shuckle or Graveler are deemed annoying. Protect is necessary to gain passive recovery aswell, scout slower mons and force more toxic damage.

Have been asked by someone who shall not be named to post about this set:

:gs/Dewgong:

Dewgong @ Leftovers
- Encore
- Ice Beam/Surf
- Protect
- Toxic

Issue with the conventional Rest/Sleep Talk/Ice Beam/Surf set is it 1. Forces awkward stalemates against other bulky waters (opposing Dewgong and Octillery mainly) and 2. Has the tendency to allow progressive mons in such as Stantler and Primeape as you rest.

With encore and toxic, Dewgong is able to force progress by abusing said resttalk mons as well as spread status after encoring. Ice beam is the preferred move here for coverage (and the freeze chance). Surf can be used if Magmar, Shuckle or Graveler are deemed annoying. Protect is necessary to gain passive recovery aswell, scout slower mons and force more toxic damage.
I think that Rest Talk still has its place as a set in NU, if you get rid of certain mons then it can stay as a wall against the likes of Xatu.
I am the one who is going to write the analysis on Dewgong so I took into account the secondary set as well.

GSC NU TEAMDUMP

Hello, following GSCPL (at the request of susciety ._.)I would like to do a team dump for GSC NU seeing as I have like 10000 teams for this tier, this will feature many fun sets and teams.

Holly dump
DCACEE23-D72A-44D3-8BD1-C4F10FD7A6F5.pngBCDFFFDF-2A34-46FB-A3F7-81D40F494926.png97C2B121-09F0-458C-ABB7-9B5AF4BEF40F.png4866218B-B1B8-46F9-820C-91A4CDB19D62.png880A13E2-A8C6-492F-A408-1F81D9C888E3.pngFE190D9C-3903-4073-BF1A-4FB1ED16E136.png
Most likely my most successful and used team ever. It combines the amazing Fire/Water/Grass core of Azumarill, Gloom, and Ninetales to wall a vast majority of the tier. Shuckle helps these 3 immensely to ward of Normals such as Curse Wigglytuff, Fearow, and Stantler that might have a shot walling the FWG trio. Pineco is always there to provide Spikes, Boom on something dangerous, and Spin if there is an opposing bagworm. Lastly just when the team looks passive, the big bad SD Kingler uses the paralysis spread by Gloom to slice through teams.

4BBA82EB-A4BB-4E96-A4DD-BB91FF7E3951.pngF3BE14BA-7E56-4994-8B66-B81B0AFD08DA.png6815FA55-FCD4-49D8-80C1-33F38BB506FA.png71229946-0CE6-40C6-BF0A-28BABEF9E418.pngB61B8EE3-73F6-4C9B-8C25-CBF4DA2DCFEF.png9E36C116-5D04-4ED4-8262-2EDC079FAA44.png
I built this squad all the way back in my early days playing GSC NU(like May 2020 xd), and it still works wonders. Xatu is actually not RestTalk and is instead an early game wallbreaker that runs Thief(It’s not I changed it a while ago xD). MagTillery and DugApe are both excellent offensive cores that have excellent synergy, especially to support the lategame SUB HYPER BEAM Fearow in the back, which likes that most other members deal well with both Sudowoodo and Magnemite.

DEFDA0AA-0A3C-4940-81FE-CD73AA645643.png40E21692-825A-4762-B661-9C1BD406D933.png0C7C9115-8C3D-4FE3-8D91-E38D4AA0326B.png2583261D-5E33-42A9-B2A7-BF53D9C77E3F.pngEAF32AB1-8BCD-47F9-A73C-30B213CDD100.pngBE33C9D1-4C00-496E-B2F1-53BE39F4114D.png
A more bulky balance team, and this was where I first used and started spamming Encore ProTox Dewgong. Rapidash is Sub 3 Attacks since Hypnosis is a stupid move I’ll never use. The excellent core of Weezing and Dewgong works wonders and Ape is there to clean up alongside Xatu.

A5D5FE77-FB4D-451B-874E-5562795D672E.png
9FAFED78-43E8-4FCC-B5E6-04E77AB18F8D.png
1A8C38FD-F123-4533-BBD3-5D57E2583E64.png
A4627AA6-62CE-4B7A-ABF4-06BA8FE5A36F.png
881113CB-E32B-4CA4-8200-B8BF9CD502B8.png
2E573953-E01A-49D7-BDEE-2DE35010A952.png

SunnySpam is always a play style I’ve been fond of in GSC NU. The absolute nuke that is Rapidash and Magmar under sun is always worth supporting. Exeggcute and Sudowoodo are able to bait in answers to them like Azumarill and Ninetales and remove them with Boom. SunnyBeam Xatu is also fun for hitting Dewgong and Chinchou real hard.

04D030AB-015A-4874-81DB-1E338A889916.pngFC61FAD3-DF32-4403-9B26-5985518B3DBF.png1E7636AF-C986-426F-B250-334D1E2F1CA5.pngCB2691D2-E9BC-4DFD-B1C3-26C4E0B9A104.png05CA63E0-A08A-44BC-BEE9-387D809392A9.png70504289-E437-45E4-9034-648CCD0B378A.png
This is a slightly modified version of a team I actually made into an RMT a while ago. Basically, the original version super struggled against Octillery and seeing as how I was slowing using Pineco less and less on most of my teams, I threw Chinchou on there to counter Octi and Dewgong while also help in the paralysis department.

827DF5DB-A5C3-42C6-9C1B-912F2287647C.pngEC86BCF8-6A76-4538-BE1B-F018552FA13A.pngF36A4DAF-6527-40A2-9F99-CC1F91E64B0B.pngBC3AC849-D2FF-4697-90D6-17DA1F12B406.pngF9A31DB0-D642-4119-8CD9-B3FE1081EB7E.pngEFEABD7C-3611-4826-AAB3-40364E45829B.png
Baton Pass is unfair(it’s not BP definitely isint broken in GSC NU). Azumarill and Stantler are excellent for supporting Farfetchd and Ledian with screens since both are fairly frail. Agility can be passed to Cubone to most likely end the game since +2 Cubone OHKOs almost everything relevant, although Stantler is a good Agility recipient since it has Curse.

1920EEA8-A061-4D30-99C2-B8EC69386F5C.pngA6EFC7AA-6DB1-4BE9-A3B0-8746102F326F.pngEDC908EA-0328-4B39-943E-01649AE79741.pngED431E95-69F9-4669-824F-37C07A66D9E0.png0C0C1E63-3619-48F7-B44B-5FEBCE31A37C.png7AC5FFAB-DC0F-4B18-AA87-278257B3991B.png
A fairly basic Houndour+Fight spam team. Gloom can lure in Xatu and paralyse it for Houndour which makes Hounds job of pursuiting the omnipresent bird easier. After that, Dug+Lee and Ape is able to go crazy while Xatu and Dug check Weezing for them.

FC44CA79-BF6F-44B0-8E53-70BCD71B5F21.png093982E5-2703-41A2-B0C1-A0F63ECF79BA.pngA548E533-DC75-4357-9ECF-9A54255A473B.pngEB03A533-2AA8-433A-9FB6-D33B8FD314B3.png1F23B551-4638-4321-B372-924E02AB2B6F.png25F945C7-EB37-4D79-BEE7-766D26462188.png
This is extremely similar to one of the samples lol but with a difference. Flareon needs a lot of support to reliably get its Growth off because its a terrible mon so I paired it with triple para spread from Dunsparce/Dragon/Exeggcute. Egg is also there over something like Wigglytuff to improve the matchup against Primeape. Xatu and Mag with +1 Special Attack is incredibly tough and can potentially end the game if played correctly.

C21E2661-5850-4089-88CC-49364A317B61.png43C87A49-3D67-47DE-BDC6-A54F8ACA3AE2.pngD1EFFE07-32FA-448A-A5E0-42AA23C67AD5.png88DEC0E6-40A9-49A5-A3A7-53B71F036AD0.png07F2D859-84A7-4CD3-B534-D412C84D86B0.png287055C9-00DF-4E08-8992-C5B81438C14B.png
This one is possibly more of a meme but can be good in the right situation. 5 Pokemon that can Explode means this team can be played pretty mindless lol. Octillery with Amnesia beats a ton of the tier one on one since it’s bulky and strong, so it naturally likes that the boomers can remove stuff for it. Amnesia also helps with Ice Beam spamming Waters if they freeze.

OTHER TEAMS(that may be less good)

B2F49E69-6838-4097-9A2B-376D5E55F063.png
0864A01E-5EB0-4657-8DA6-3E3D900AC9EA.png
39243D61-DFF5-45AA-BE51-9A64FF4CF2A5.png
DCEF7BD0-1C0D-421E-BC1A-ECA0D1EA767B.png
B0986D4B-68A3-4599-A9E6-A595D14E75FB.png
C1046379-CA4B-493A-BF1B-1827AFC1635E.png

Double Curser.
4C718BA5-BE80-4112-BF4B-7556109EB701.png5B3642C2-22AB-4D1B-9D63-028A93C2BA3E.png6C0248B5-49A8-4665-AACA-378CA0E206A8.pngC41E5CB2-504D-4F10-967F-3672CD8A51A9.pngA4BE42CF-678C-4C5B-86B6-FFAC941D254D.png2DB65A11-C7BC-4C3D-9F06-84FFFB52016D.png
Team with Sunflora.

EF15C865-9F5E-43B7-9BE9-5A11ADAB74B8.pngA6E77D2C-9281-422E-84A7-86BF6117CD9B.png96AA4E14-08E4-40ED-ABA2-BAFC046CB374.png7B50B2B1-7FA2-4B71-8423-70E05A789B4C.png5309C127-917E-427C-B430-75832E2AB429.png8FFC30B9-5B7C-4E75-AD0C-680191FB4334.png
Offensive Ninetales+Raticate team.

Last edited:

FNH

[Wrote most of this as I went through out the season]

Gonna make a long-ass post with my teams from the tour and talk about them a bit (or a lot lol). I really like GSC NU. This is an excellent and diverse meta, a tier where “bubble beam Wiggleytuff is viable”. Thank you to ReeceHughes and Earthworm for introducing it to me, and really pioneering the tier. I have had a lot of fun playing it.

Start this off by saying, I had a lot of fun in GSC PL, thank you to Earthworm and HSOWA for hosting. And thank you to for buying me lol. And Thank you to Siatam for literally carrying our whole team. I’m not exaggerating, Siatam carried myself and the team this tour.

WEEK 1

:dugtrio::kingler::xatu::magmar::octillery::gloom:
Click for Pokepaste
Duggytrio (Dugtrio)
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Rock Slide
- Thief

Kinglerr (Kingler) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Return
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Xatwo (Xatu) @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Haze
- Drill Peck

Magmare (Magmar) @ Leftovers
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Cross Chop

Artillery (Octillery) @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf

GaLoom (Gloom) @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Curse
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

Going into week 1 vs Bugz, I was a bit out of touch with the meta. Some stuff that seemed to stick out was Magnemite (Popular for its ability to wall Xatu). Xatu was still the king with the rest talk Psychic HP electric set being standard now. Curse normal and fire type spams were less common but Ninetales seemed as good as ever. I thought Kingler was still very very powerful, perhaps even better, as Weezing seemed to be far less popular (Weezing has great defense can use haze to remove Kingler boosts, and also threatens Kingler with Thunder. All around it’s a decent check). Well Weezing dropping off also made fighting types seem more threatening. Pineco, I am probably alone in thinking this, is trash. I avoid it if I can. Having a team slot wasted on a mon that can barely come in to set up or remove spikes, (that’s literally all it can do) is just never worth it. So ye, I barely used Spikes this tour.

I was a bit unsure, Bugz is most definitely an all-around better player than me, so I told Siatam I wanted to fix up and use my old Kingler – Dugtrio [Add paste link] offense. It’s a team I’m comfortable with despite it having some glaring flaws. Kingler and Dugtrio combination of hard-hitting breaker into fast sweeper is really potent. Siatam came in clutch and had some great initial fixes: 2-attack RestTalk Octillery > Weezing (gave me something that could check Xatu better), 1 Attack Curse Gloom > Parasect (had better utility and offensive presence and typing than Parasect while still checking Water electric combo’s that the team is weak too.) Dugtrio got Sub thief and was the lead to help cripple a check early game, making room for late game sweeps. I changed Kingler to the 2 attacks Substitute SD set giving me a more offensive attitude to the team. It worked, but Gloom with just Sludge Bomb as my sole Thunder swap didn’t work, since Magnemite can just sit on it. I teched gloom with HP ground over Stun Spore to nab Magnemite (I thought I was a genius for doing this, but Earthworm and ReeceHughes were like 6 months ahead of me and already doing this ). My last change was Magmar > Pineco. This was odd, but I felt with something extremely offensive as this team, I would rather forgo that extra utility of spikes + spin for that extra power. Something to give me that extra “umph” to break through an opponent.

Really happy with the final product, this team is probably my favorite. It’s a very spammable team that handles about everything in the tier and showcases some of the offensive powerhouses of the tier. Sample team quality lol.

WEEK 2
:pineco::wigglytuff::xatu::ninetales::azumarill::weezing:
Click for Pokepaste

Pine co.™ @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Explosion

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Double-Edge

Xahtwo (Xatu) @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ninetails (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Flamethrower
- Reflect

AzuMahrille (Azumarill) @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf
- Light Screen

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Pain Split
- Haze

I had no idea what to bring vs Ranshiin, but I knew he was in cohorts with someone who knew how I liked to play. Once again, Siatam came through here and had a good idea of how to change it up. He passed a[Insert Link] FWG double screen + spikes team with 2 attacks Stantler. It was a bit awkward to play, required to much patience. I generally get bored by turn 40 so ye, I didn’t like the team. We made some changes by dropping Gloom for Weezing and Stantler for Wiggleytuff. Weezing gave me a better answer to opposing curse normals which are a pain to deal with if you don’t have haze or a fighting/rock type. Stantler was dropped cause it was to “cute”. It just didn’t fit and was a little to creative. Curse mono attack Wiggley though, gave me a set up attacker that I could play the long game with. Wiggley also has some absurd bulk that allows it to set up on half the tier.

The general way to play this team is to not play like how I played that game. Use the Azumarill and Ninetales core to set up screens and get up spikes. Slow and steady wins the race. Try to get up spikes first then remove them (this team would rather both sides have spikes up then no spikes). Then use Wiggley to get a curse boost and hit stuff. That’s not how I played that game, and there was nothing careful about risking getting boomed on early on by the opposing Weezing.

This team works, and while I am trying to avoid critiquing opponents, I just have to say that this game is why if you need Haze + Boom/Painsplit on Weezing for it to function properly. If Ranshiin had haze on his Weezing it would have been a totally different game (Apologies for picking on Ranshiin, he is an excellent player, way better than me.)

Siatam’s team here, is a great team. I just hate it and any team that draws out games past like t40.

WEEK 3

Both my teams from week 1 and 2 were more standard for the tier, so I decided to be more creative this week. GSC NU has plenty of options in the builder and A LOT of different styles which is why I like the tier so much.

VS REECE: ::Hitmonlee::primeape::chinchou::graveler::houndour::xatu:
Click for Pokepaste

Hitmon Bruce Lee (Hitmonlee) (M)
- High Jump Kick
- Body Slam
- Double-Edge
- Thief

Primal Ape (Primeape) @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Meditate
- Substitute
- Rock Slide

Chin Chew (Chinchou) @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Graveler @ Leftovers
IVs: 22 HP / 26 Atk / 24 Def
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Howndoor (Houndour) @ Leftovers
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Xatwo (Xatu) @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This team I think was really cool. Fighting types are legit. Both Hitmonlee and Primeape are total menaces in the tier provided you can chip Weezing/Gloom and Xatu. Some teams recently had only run one Fighting resist as well. So, I thought a fighting spam would be fun to use. Also teams trended towards more mono fighting, so one hard check seemed to be the standard for teams in the tier. Doubling up with fighting types gives put more pressure on checks, especially Weezing who doesn’t run good HP recovery. I added Houndour next to deal with Xatu. Pursuit does about 60% and the common Psychic + Hp Electric doesn’t really hurt Houndour that much. It’s a good chip that really prevents Xatu from wanting to come in on both of my fighting types. Primeape is faster but frailer, so we gave him Substitute + Meditate to make it an end game sweeper. Hitmonlee I ran as a lead, with thief so I could nab leftovers from what ever wanted to switch in on it (making space for a late game Primeape sweep). The two normal type attacks on hitmonlee give it this blanket damage guarantee to just get chip on whatever your opponent is switching in. The game plan combo of thief on a Xatu switchin T1 into Houndour is just threatening. I don’t recall the list of changes to the team in entirety, but Chinchou, as much as I hate this mon, is essential here. It’s the only water that consistently beats water, and, being the only water resist on the team, we needed Chinchou. There is also a potential for this team to lose the long game to spikes, so Siatam added Graveler. Xatu was added because it’s Xatu lol. Like every team should have a Xatu, it’s so free to use.

This team is fun to use. Getting the thief into Houndour trap t1 is fun. Problem with teams like this though, is when they know you have Houndour in the back. So it’s a bit of a one time team, once people know that you will thief into Houndour, its SO hard to every get that trap on Xatu.

VS LAX: :dewgong::flareon::xatu::magnemite::hitmonlee::weezing:
Click for Pokepaste

Dewgong @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Flareon @ Leftovers
- Growth
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Fire Blast

Xatwo (Xatu) @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Magnemight (Magnemite) @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Agility

Hitmon Bruce Lee (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Leftovers
IVs: 14 HP / 24 Atk / 26 Def
- Body Slam
- High Jump Kick
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Haze
- Explosion

I really wanted to use baton pass. It’s pretty viable in the tier as roar is nonexistent and Weezing is really the only good haze user in the tier. Flareon with growth is a good pass. Unlike other Baton passers in the tier, I think Flareon is the only Bp’er capable of not feeling like a dead slot (Ledian, Farfetch’d etc can really only pass, so when they aren’t passing, it just gives you a dead slot. Flareon has fire typing and good stats so it’s capable of more than passing.). I also don’t like teams that HAVE to pass to work, meaning if the team can’t get the pass off, it auto-loses. That type of team is just inconsistent and a match up fish. I would prefer to bring something that with the wrong MU just doesn’t auto lose.

It’s a simple team, there isn’t much that is creative here, and really nothing new to the building process as the team is loosely constructed over an old ReeceHughes team [https://pokepast.es/de7c84c9953e75e4] . The Xatu, Dewgong, and Weezing core can handle just about everything, allowing for the team to function independent of pass. Siatam’s Hitmonlee set really plays to Hitmonlee’s great special defense, giving me an extra safeguard from Surfs + Thunder while also complimenting the team with a strong offensive pressence. The 3 Special attackers of Xatu + Dewgong + Magnemite gave Flareon some diversified options to pass too. The team has some really good qualities. Passing + 1 in Xatu or Agility Magnemite can be oh so dangerous. Even Dewgong is pretty good at +1.

The team works well, just can be a little tricky. I kinda feel bad about how the game went. I haxed the hell outta Lax, and almost threw by trying to go for the sexy win of baton passing +1 into magnemite. He probably spent the majority of the turns Full para’d. Probably deserved to lose the game for passing into Magnemite over Xatu, who at +1 probably would have won on the spot. I’m pretty sure though that there were opportunities for Lax to win on the spot as well, but he just full para’d instead. So ye, in hindsight I shouldn’t have won this game lol.

FINAL vs Ranshiin
:Octillery::Ninetales::stantler::weezing::xatu::Sudowoodo:
Click for Pokepaste

Octillery @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ninetales @ Leftovers
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Stantler @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb
- Explosion
- Fire Blast

Xatu @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sudowoodo @ Leftovers
- Self-Destruct
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Curse

I didn’t prep all week and reused my team from week 1. Threw super fucking hard and got punished for being a retard.

We had to replay for the tiebreaker, and eden was dumb enough to start me lol. I wrote most of this as through out the season so i could post to help grow the meta, but to be honest 3 weeks later or so, I dont remember much of the process that went into this team. It as a slow offense with some boom options. I think the original idea was to use the eggy since it could hard wall all the Psy Electric Xatus (hence the shitty name lol) I just remember he brought shuckle (GAMES SHOULD ONLY LAST 40 TURNS, ANYTHING LONGER IS A CRIME). The game for me was winnable but with lag and interent and taking my sweet time on some early turns, I ended up just having to click as fast as I could in order to not time out. Needless to say, Ranshiin got me good here. 6-0'd

TEAMS THAT DIDN’T MAKE THE CUT:

FWG Rock Psy Fighting
:rapidash::Primeape::graveler::xatu::dewgong::gloom:
Click for Pokepaste

Rapidash @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Primeape @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Meditate
- Substitute
- Rock Slide

Graveler @ Leftovers
IVs: 22 HP / 26 Atk / 24 Def
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Curse

Xatwo (Xatu) @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Haze
- Nightmare

Dewgong @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gloom @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

I really liked this team even debated using it for the finals, but never got around to running it because it’s too similar to what I had been running. By the time I had made it, it was to late to really use it. The later weeks I wanted to try different things and be more creative (there is a lot of try in the NU, which is one of the reasons I like the tier so much) Well it’s a bit standard in its looks. FWG core + Fighting type + Normal tank + Xatu. I personally think this team is really, really solid. It should be able to handle just about everything the tier throws, and it has the power to break through a lot in the tier.

Weezing Oct Mag Offense
:dugtrio::magnemite::weezing::octillery::xatu::primeape:
Click for Pokepaste

Dugtrio
- Thief
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Rock Slide

Magnemite @ Leftovers
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weezing @ Leftovers
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Haze
- Explosion

Octillery @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Xatu @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Primeape @ Leftovers
- Meditate
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

I was toying around in the off week prior to the finals with different combinations, and the core of weezing, magnemite, and octillery seemed interesting. The 3 basically are able to deal with most of the main threats in the tier. The downside is all 3 are quite slow. So Xatu + Primeape + dugtrio were added for an increased offensive pressence while also giving the offensive build the necessary speed to apply pressure on opponents. Not a terrible team on paper, I just never got around to using it very much.

eden sucks. Peace

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Since FNH didn't include the team I used week 1, I thought I might as well toss it in.
:gs/pineco::gs/hitmonlee::gs/kingler::gs/magnemite::gs/xatu::gs/stantler:
This team is an offense built to take advantage of Hitmonlee and Kinglers' high attack and respectable defense and special defense stats in order to set up for a Stantler end game.

While GSCPL as a whole was a difficult environment for spikes offense, I chose to lead Pineco on the off chance that the opponent couldn't force Pineco out. Spikes later in the game and threat of boom aren't bad either.
Hitmonlee can check most special attackers while staying healthy and spreading paralysis, while Kingler can do the same to most physical attackers. Magnemite helps answer opposing Xatu while also contributing to the para spam.
Xatu is too good not to use, but doesn't contribute much defensively with a rest talk set so I chose to run Thief to improve offense and Haze to use in case of an emergency.
Stantler is used to clean up weakened and paralyzed teams, I chose Light Screen over Hypnosis since it gives Stantler the chance to beat Xatu 1v1 and because I did not want to risk Hypnosis accuracy in a late game situation.

While Kingler and Hitmonlee are good defensively, they are not unbreakable and can be worn down after multiple switch-ins. Mixed attackers such as Magmar can be a significant problem to the team, along with powerful Special attackers such as Magnemite, and any physical attackers that get a free turn of set-up. As such the team needs to be played proactively to always be threatening heavy damage or paralysis spam.

In the match the team preformed as designed, though I did get outplayed and bailed by luck in the first 7 turns of the game. Additionally I could have ended the game much cleaner, going Magnemite on T53 was a less RNG reliant play, barring an insane double on the opponent's part.

On the topic of GSCPL, it was the most fun I've had in any team tournament. S/O to the entire Royal Raikous roster, I hope to team with some of you all again never year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)