GSC Ingame Discussion

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Been doing some more breeding on GSC lately and I am finally the proud owner of a Razor Wind Bulbasaur! Not that I'm likely to ever use such a thing but it's cloned and off to Bank in any case, there to sit for a while in anticipation of being used in a playthrough of either RBY, GSC, or USUM.

Trying to think what are some other obscure, niche, or downright stupid egg moves I should breed for. Already got Confusion Squirtle and Outrage Charmander, now I want something hilarious like Flame Wheel Rattata.

Among other anniversaries, November 21st marks the 24th anniversary of Gold and Silver's Japanese release in 1999, and so it's about as good a time as ever to put down what I have left to say about the legacy these games have left on the series, which I'm not even getting into Crystal's online for yet.

Gen 2's overworld and atmosphere was unparalleled in making the world feel alive, with the daily and weekly events engaging the player to check back as time passed. Palettes and encounters would change with the time of day, with Headbutt pokemon of the opposite time period even appearing asleep in their trees. The element of a time of day system would persist for the rest of the series as a natural way to add more variety, though in different forms like Gen 3's toned down versions with no encounter changes, Gen 4 bringing back the time system fully among all its other Johto callbacks, Gen 5's monthly seasons, the whole gimmick of Gen 7 being swapped time, and PLA and SV's cycles being independent of real world time. Ingame hints to these events like coming across one of the Day of the Week siblings or rumours of Lapras in Union Cave on Fridays and even the myths of legendaries give an incentive to return to certain locations, and Clefairy dancing in Mt. Moon is still called back to directly in PLA. Even regular events like listening to the different radio channels (on the Pokegear or from overworld radios), the Goldenrod underground market rotation, the Friday Trainer ID lottery (that you had a few chances to work with from the ingame trades and gifts with different trainer IDs like KENYA nearby), the Bug Catching Contest, and the random rooftop sale you can be called about (in Crystal) leave a lot to look forward to each day. Professor Oak's Pokemon Talk was actually a pretty interesting idea for being a way to hear about locations where Pokemon you may not have seen were, while the Pokemon March and Lullaby could be handy when they were active to make the RNG for getting an encounter more lenient on what could spawn.

1700585290479.png
1700585398054.png
1700585634883.png

(The radios in New Bark Town won't play the full channel until after you get your starter.)

Gen 2 is also when more NPCs started to become more of characters in their own right, with trainers gaining individual names and personalities on the Pokegear. While RBY had the shorts youngster, Youngster Joey being a meme was due to his lasting presence. The Pokegear mechanic would be expanded on in Crystal specifically to add more tailored dialogue and item rewards, but rematches and swarm notifications still existed back then (which are more commonly known nowadays as mass outbreaks and highly regarded in PLA and SV). Even major NPCs like Jasmine, Clair, Lance, and technically Misty got some appearances outside of their fighting areas with quests that progressed the main story in other ways. Also, your MOM is an important NPC because of her potential to save money and also holds power over Daylight Savings Time outside of Japan which is helpful to rig phone calls. I thought it was always an interesting moral choice how you were optionally allowed to leave home without telling your mom you were going away, which I never considered until seeing other people play the game, and is something that feels like a typical mandatory event these days that doesn't have the same impact. I still always choose to send some money to MOM because that's what's unique about Gen 2.

1700585334984.jpeg

The main thing I wanted to at least get through here was Gen 2's impact on battles. A lot of the important decisions at this point in time would go on to define metagames with their existence. For one, Gen 2 introduced the whole new development of held items which was a game changer. Some items would be lost like the Berserk Gene's permaconfusion, the Pink/Polkadot Bows, and the original Berries, but their spirits would live on in the form of the confusion Berries and the various type enhancing items. Meanwhile classic items included EXP Share, Leftovers, Light Ball, Lucky Egg, Scope Lens, Quick Claw, Bright Powder, Stick/Leek, Smoke Ball, Thick Club, King's Rock, Everstone, Focus Band, Cleanse Tag, and Amulet Coin. And the whole concept of held items allows you to actually send rare items to your friends through trading held items around, which was partly the reason Satoshi Tajiri was inspired to make use of the Link Cable for Pokemon in the first place because of Ken Sugimori getting 2 rare 1/128 Mad Cap drops in Dragon Quest 2 while Tajiri had none, leading to the original idea for Pokemon being wanting to trade things of value between games. While not an item that has a direct effect in battle (other than setting up ACE in RS/FRLG recently), Mail was also a pretty cool idea to send custom messages with unique designs, and you even had a direct example with KENYA used to pass a message ingame.

1700585045711.png
1700585115125.png

This feature was also taken advantage of to give Gen 1 Pokemon interesting items to receive from the catch rate field like the exclusive Psych Up TM from Abra, other signature items like Metal Powder and Lucky Punch, and Yellow being made just in time to add some of these incentives like Light Ball Pikachu and Twisted Spoon Kadabra. In a Japanese interview from 2000, Tajiri mentioned that it was intentional that empty space was left in the Pokemon data structure similarly to how genes are arranged, with data currently having no meaning that could be used to add new attributes to, and this even happened within Gen 2 with space being added for the Pokemon Seer to remember met locations in Crystal.

A lot of revamps Gen 2 made to Gen 1 interactions still last today, with type chart oddities like Ghost vs Psychic, Bug and Poison, and Ice vs Fire being short lived, and of course the whole addition of Dark and Steel to balance out Psychic. There are things that Gen 1 is infamously known for like turn denial, Hyper Beam resets, and 1/256 misses (though Gen 2 has its own 1/256 glitch for secondary effects which is noticeable on moves like Dynamic Punch and Zap Cannon), but there's a lot of other changes it made that are kind of underlooked if you've never played Gen 1. Gust, Karate Chop, Bite, and Sand-Attack went from Normal-type to their current-day types, and the only other moves that would change type in the future would be Gen 2 moves themselves with Curse going from the unique ???-type to plain Ghost, and Charm/Sweet Kiss/Moonlight becoming Fairy. Gen 2 actually made a lot of moves more intuitive to use like Mimic and Disable targeting the last move used, Rage no longer locking you in forever (and being decent on Totodile earlygame), Struggle becoming actually typeless, Hi Jump Kick going from 1HP to actual recoil, Haze not clearing status and a bunch of temporary effects (like the original Defog), Roar and Whirlwind actually having a purpose in trainer battles to create phazing, Substitute not having a bunch of Gen 1 quirks (and not allowing you to Protect behind one initially), and Counter actually hitting all physical attacks. Conversion going from Reflect Type to a random current move was arguably less intuitive though.

Meanwhile Gen 2 made a lot of changes to other numbers as well, like nerfing the 100BP Dig while buffing Wing Attack, Double-Edge, and Explosion/Selfdestruct to be solid moves, making Rock Throw not 65% accuracy while giving Rock Slide its infamous 30% flinch chance (as well as upping Bite to 30%), with Tri Attack/Razor Wind/Dizzy Punch also gaining effects for the first time, nerfing Blizzard's 30% freeze and 90% accuracy since RG while giving Thunder 30% paralysis and Fire Blast going down to 10% burn to balance them out, Poison chances on Poison Sting and Sludge being unified to 30% from 20% and 40% originally, and a lot of stat change moves going from 1/3 to 1/10 chances like Constrict, Bubblebeam, Psychic, Acid, and Aurora Beam. These new numbers have lasted for so long that I feel it's easy to take them for granted.

A lot of Gen 1 TMs are moves nowadays that you would always expect to be available like the elemental beams and Substitute, but Gen 2 replaced most of them for a whole new roster, with the ones that remained being staples like the most powerful special attacks, Earthquake, Dig, Toxic, and even Swift. It was also a chance to increase signature move distribution and add more variety, with the elemental punches replacing the beams and making Waterfall a whole HM while repurposing Headbutt to be a field move TM that you could replenish in the department store. I feel like Gen 2's TM choices had an interesting balance of showing off new moves with a lot of status leaning, but in hindsight I like that they were also able to make an accessible attacking option for each type available too, with Bug, Ghost, and Dragon getting their proper dues.

Finally, Gen 2 had a lot of unique move ideas that have aged pretty well, and I think the most interesting of them was weather for how it built on the existing game. Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Sandstorm introduced the lasting field effects of weather, which added new dynamics to the elemental moves, giving Solar Beam and Thunder ways around their drawbacks while boosting Fire and Water in general, and even Sandstorm was doing a significant 1/8th HP damage back then. Weather alone has definitely made a legacy with whole teams being built around weather wars, and would be further expanded on in future generations with Gen 3's abilities and legendaries, Hail, and the terrains. I like that weather is used prevalently by ingame trainers too for all their different purposes, with Jasmine having a Sunny Day Steelix to stop water and Erika having Sunny Day and Synthesis on multiple mons, Lance leading with Rain Dance on Gyarados which kind of worked against him with Charizard later, Blaine and Misty having the weather to power up their types, Bruno and Brock having Sandstorm and Bind on their Onix for chip damage (and Brock's Onix still has Bide from RBY), and the final battles against Blue and Red representing multiple weather moves on their teams to show that they mean business.

There are so many Gen 2 moves that I will cover each briefly, but most still have an iconic niche that kept them relevant in some form. Protect is still a classic universal defensive option, with blocking being such a natural part of fighting that it became a whole mechanic in GO's PVP, and Detect fits more with the flavour of the opponent's attack missing. False Swipe is still a useful utility move today for any dedicated catcher. Shadow Ball is one of the classic Ghost attacking moves nowadays, and it lowered Special Defense before Ghost was special unlike Crunch. Gen 2 also had a lot of cool ghost-associated gimmick moves like Pain Split being a neat idea but often overshadowed by Destiny Bond, with Curse and Perish Song also being interesting moves to put time pressure on the opponent, and even Spite and Mean Look being able to combo together as used in Morty's gym battle. I also want to shout out the manga chapter where Morty has his Misdreavus use some of these moves like Spite, Pain Split, and Destiny Bond against Lt. Surge as the next best example, since Misdreavus was one of the few Pokemon with all these moves yet with the worst availability in the game itself, left to be a tricky PVP mon with its interesting niches. On the other hand, Foresight gave some early Normal-types tools to hit ghosts and another way to shut down evasion.

1700598163877.png

Then there are all the risk and reward elements to the new moves they added, like Swagger being an attack-boosting confusion inducer, Belly Drum sacrificing health for maximum power, Rollout being a more extreme Gen 1 Rage that became an iconic enemy attack from Whitney, Nightmare going all in on making a long Sleep more punishing, Flail/Reversal encouraging low HP strategies and practically made to combo with Endure, Curse as mentioned being an eye for an eye that could actually kill you directly, Encore potentially making you take a hit but also being able to force an opponent into a bad move, Mind Reader/Lock-On letting you set up for a low accuracy move combo with Dynamic Punch or Zap Cannon as Chuck and Lt. Surge demonstrate, Vital Throw going last with perfect accuracy as the first decreased priority move that was a regular attack, Thief requiring you to use or forgo a held item in order to deprive the enemy of one, Magnitude being a random power move that you can visibly tell if you roll high or low, the 3 time-of-day healing moves (Morning Sun/Synthesis/Moonlight) working better in certain situations, adding Outrage which is technically a Thrash clone but is another thematically appropriate Dragon move, Triple Kick and Fury Cutter as different takes on having to hit multiple times in a row without missing to build up power, Mirror Coat as the special alternative to Counter that still had an immunity, Future Sight giving up the current turn to hit harder later (with unique typeless damage that was calculated for the selected target), Ancient Power having a chance to give you a huge omniboost to turn the tides, Conversion 2 being an interesting way to give yourself a random resistance, all the Steel moves having imperfect accuracy but being able to boost or lower a stat, and Present being the definition of a risk/reward move that was actually really broken in GS because of its damage calculation bug.

There are also more general utility moves that are really iconic in competitive like everything about Baton Pass preserving stat changes, Sleep Talk (being able to call Rest), Heal Bell as a unique support option (usually preferred over Safeguard), Rapid Spin as a removal-type move, Spikes as the first iteration of hazards, Sketch making Smeargle a thing, Beat Up managing to carve a niche and being funny to show nicknames, and more priority like Mach Punch and ExtremeSpeed, which would age to be more extreme after its debut as a stronger Quick Attack. Some of these moves have even disappeared from the modern games as the first victims of Movexit, like Return/Frustration's universal power built up over the campaign, Pursuit's pressure and the bugs it's had over the years, and of course Hidden Power and all its ramifications from giving everything coverage. Also, Gen 2 started some of the fun specific interactions like Defense Curl boosting Rollout, Stomp doubling damage against Minimize, Earthquake/Fissure/Magnitude hitting Dig, and various moves like Gust/Thunder/Twister/Whirlwind hitting Fly, which would all be further expanded upon in later generations.

I won't even get into the unused ideas of Spaceworld as a lot of those items and move effects weren't fully programmed, but it's interesting how the moves naturally developed like Megahorn originally being Megaphone (written the same in Japanese), a signature status move of Hoothoot that lowered Special Attack. I will mention the changes that moves went through in late 1999 though in a state very close to release, which are documented on TCRF here. https://tcrf.net/Development:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Battle_&_Move_Data

Some highlights to me include Vital Throw having a different effect proposed but never implemented of being able to evade physical moves when it hit but take a guaranteed critical hit when it misses, which reminds me of Glaive Rush's drawback but more extreme. Also, Cross Chop was originally the 140 BP/70 accuracy Rock Slash up until August 1999, the only move completely replaced at this point. The bugfix that caused the Present bug being due to making Present check STAB to fix a bug where it didn't play the right type-effectiveness sound is pretty funny. Curse being a +2/+2/-2 move that ghosts only took 25% damage from was pretty huge once, and Hidden Power ranging from 1 to 79 power would just be silly. I also recall Belly Drum halving current HP instead of max HP being mentioned as a bug in notes back then along with the notes asking why Lugia was Psychic type and the devs thinking Snorlax needed a buff, which I'm not confident in finding right now, but it seems the final version was the last move-related change made in October.

For a final run of the miscellaneous elements I appreciate, Gen 2 added footprints in the pokedex which is a neat bit of flavour that lasted for a few generations, and also introduced the first concept of a regional and national pokedex with the NEW and OLD Pokedex modes. Adding friendship/happiness to all Pokemon was an important enough element to the game that it developed into affection, and the bitter herbs are still mainstays of the series as powerful alternatives that I still don't really use. The move deleter (and relearner in Stadium 2) was such an important feature that it's become part of the regular UI nowadays, as well as the first move tutor added in Crystal for the elemental beams. Using HM moves from the overworld instead of the start menu is a huge QOL factor. Pokerus was a neat mystery that was even rarer than shinies and got the Pokemon Center and Professor Elm involved. They fixed the bug where jumping multiple levels would make you miss out on learning moves, and also added an experience bar to visually show your current EXP in battle at all times. Being able to see move descriptions and power/accuracy ingame from the start menu is huge compared to being totally blind in Gen 1. The first options of different menu frames are great. The Old Rod letting you catch more than just Magikarp like Poliwag actually makes you feel like it's worth spending the time to keep fishing for a rare catch. The Game Corner adding rare events to the slots, a new card flip game, and the lucky slot machines occupied by NPCs until morning provide some more intrigue to the place other than just being a button masher. Having gym badges boost the power of their own type makes sense and almost works perfectly with having 16, which didn't leave a legacy but was an interesting decision. Displaying the location names where you travel (Crystal) is still a helpful feature in all the latest games. Apricorn balls had interesting effects in theory, and are still held in one of the highest regards today as a rare commodity.

Some other related notes from development are the original effects of some Apricorn balls being slightly different, with the Direct Ball becoming the Level Ball still retaining the effect of skipping most of the catching formula and ignoring HP even in the final game, the Fast Ball originally acting like the Dusk Ball as the Night Ball, and the Love Ball intended to help against a list of Kurt's favourites but would have a lower multiplier if not, like the Beast Ball. Although Gen 2 had a lot of oddities with catching, it at least fixed Great Balls being better than Ultra Balls. There was also a funny balance change where Slowpoke originally held Slowpoketail commonly, but it was purposely removed to prevent the player from farming money from them.

Also, one lasting element GSC introduced was the first iteration of "Mystery Gift", which has definitely made its own legacy for a different purpose today, but it could be argued that the Mystery Gifts of SV that drop a random common item are simply in the spirit of the original. Being able to connect to other games to fight their teams ingame, with interconnectivity to Stadium 2 and even the original Pokewalker (Pokemon Pikachu 2) to get exclusive items is neat. Also, having backwards trade compatibility with the time capsule and introducing tradeback moves to expand both generations at the same time was a really convenient feature that we only just came back to this year with HOME connecting the Switch generations. Overall I would say the Pokemon franchise has a lot to thank Gen 2 for in terms of its foundations as a sequel, and I feel like its ideas have still aged strongly with how they keep returning to them over the generations.

Incidentally, a hack came out fairly recently called Crystal Legacy, and I only found out about it in the middle of researching Gen 2's legacy for these posts, though it seems like the release video was fairly popular with 472k views as of writing, with the creator SmithPlays having made some Gen 2 videos that I actually saw a few of before. It seems to stay true to the original experience in many ways yet diverges in others for difficulty and variety, but not just modernizing it to match HGSS. I watched the summary playthrough JRose played and haven't gone through it myself, but I think it's nice to see that people are still enjoying watching or playing Gen 2 in the present day.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I wanted to highlight a discovery from a few months ago about the Delibird's Delivery minigame in Stadium 2 by Hacky.

https://háčky.tech/blog/2023/09/delibirds-delivery/

This minigame has alternate GameCube and GBA present skins unlockable through Crystal's Mobile Adapter functionality which would set flags in the save file to activate them. This would normally never be seen in the English version, and was potentially not even officially released or acknowledged in Japan. However, the presents have a random chance to show up anyway in Japanese versions of Stadium 2 that have connected to Crystal even without using Mobile Stadium, because Stadium 2 writes data that assumes the Mobile Stadium has been activated, but still reads the random uninitialized save data to check what the flags are.

Pokémon Crystal – a retro review

Last, year, I bought Crystal on the 3DS eShop before it closed down. Crystal is my favorite Johto game and my favorite game from the first two generations. It was also the third Pokémon game I originally got, after Blue and Silver. I still own my original cart, I played a lot when I was younger. Nowadays, the battery is dead since long ago, and my save has been deleted as well.

When I bought Crystal on the 3DS, it was mostly just so I would have a working copy of the game, where my save file would never get deleted due to a dead battery. I did not buy it with the intent of actually planning to play through it. After getting it, I occasionally thought about playing through it, but it just didn’t seem all that interesting, so I never got around to it… until now. I had been thinking about it more and more since the beginning of 2024, and the more I thought about it, the more interesting it seemed. One day, I decided to just start on it.

There were two things I really wanted to do in Crystal that I never did when I played it as a kid. The first was to catch all legendaries, which I have done now. The second is to beat the Battle Tower, which I have yet to do, but I will definitely try my best to do it at a later point.

Before I started, I was curious about how it would be. How would I experience this return to classic Pokémon, and the original Johto? Would it be better than I expected, just as good, or worse? Would the nostalgia be enough to defeat the Johto gameplay issues?

This all happened very spontaneously. If I had planned it a bit better, I could have made a Challenge/Let’s Play here on the forums, but that didn’t happen. Instead, I wrote this review as a sort of compensation.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game and I was originally planning to share all of them, but it became so long that I cut 90% of it and decided to just focus on the most important things.

Just kidding! Have a long review below. It became so long that I had to split it in two posts.
There are things I like about the game, things I have mixed feelings on, and things I don’t like. I’ll go over them in order.

The good

Let’s start with the positives, and first out is an extremely unpopular opinion! I strongly dislike the following Pokémon feature in HG/SS, so the fact that it doesn’t exist in G/S/C is fantastic. It just makes the game feel better, not having a Pokémon following me creates the true “Johto feeling” when playing. Or something. It is hard to explain properly since it is just a feeling I have.

I really like the atmosphere in G/S/C on the whole. This might just be nostalgia talking, but the games feel really classic and charming in a very good way. I definitely prefer this over what HG/SS had to offer in terms of atmosphere.

Before I started playing, I thought that the lack of running (shoes) would be an issue as it would make the game really slow. But it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. Walking was fast enough, and most of the early-game routes are pretty short, which meant that travelling through them went quite quickly. I then got the bike in Goldenrod which made things faster, and I generally used it as much as possible afterwards.

I was originally planning to play with battle animations off in order to speed up the game. But I changed my mind and decided to play with them on during the main game, just for fun. I have many fond memories of the animations from when I played G/S/C as a kid. They are simple, but some are pretty cool, and I like many of the sound effects. Playing with them on made battles a bit slower during the main game, but I didn’t mind. I turned off the animations when level grinding and catching legends, and after I had cleared Kanto, I turned them off for good.

I like the tile puzzles in the Ruins of Alph, they are fun. It had been a long while since I last did them in HG/SS, and even longer since I did them in G/S/C. HG/SS changed them quite a bit, I don’t remember exactly how they worked there but I think I prefer the way they work in G/S/C. Some of them are also quite hard. The Ho-Oh puzzle was the hardest for me this time around, but I solved it and all the others in the end.

I prefer some of the Gym Puzzles here over the HG/SS versions. Notably the Ecruteak, Mahogany and Blackthorn puzzles. The Ecruteak puzzle is fun since it is both hard and easy at the same time. I remember struggling with it when I first played Silver as a kid, then I figured it out and felt so dumb for not realizing it earlier. Most of the Kanto Gyms in G/S/C doesn’t have puzzles… but I actually prefer it that way. If all of the Kanto Gyms had had puzzles, it would just have made things more annoying and less fun. As for other puzzles, I remember having trouble with some of the Ice Path puzzles as a kid, notably the very first one. But this time, I solved it in like 10 seconds. None of the other puzzles in the Ice Path gave me problems either. In fact, I had a harder time with the Mahogany Gym puzzle!

There are some areas I like better in G/S/C than in HG/SS. Notably the Olivine Lighthouse, it just feels a lot more charming and fun to explore in G/S/C. I don’t know how they managed to change it so much for the worse in the remakes. Another one is Lake of Rage. I really dislike how they added rain to it in HG/SS, it is so much better when there’s no rain. Goldenrod is also better in G/S/C, I think the overall atmosphere is more enjoyable than in HG/SS. Despite the limited hardware, they really captured the “big city” feeling, the music makes it even better. Tin Tower is also really nice. It does a great job at capturing the traditional feeling that Johto tried to create. I think the puzzles there are great too, they force you to think a bit without being overly difficult or punishing.

Mt. Silver is also quite cool. I like the cave design here, with the end being what feels like a really massive room, though I suppose it could also be interpreted as an outside area. I’m not really sure what they were trying to make with it, but it is cool either way. That said, I like Mt. Silver in HG/SS too. Exploring it on the outside makes it feel more like an actual mountain, and it has snow! In HG/SS, it is also very clear that the end of it is the top of the mountain. I think both versions of it are good, can’t say I prefer one over the other.

I like the animated sprites in Crystal. They are cool, and some of them are quite well done. I’m glad animated sprites eventually ended up becoming a standard for the series before the games went full 3D. As for the sprites in general, I think Crystal has better sprites than both Gold and Silver. While there are some I think are better in Gold (Nidoran-F, Ursaring, Celebi) and some in Silver (Lugia, Geodude), I think Crystal has the best sprites on the whole.

Crystal made some really great and downright necessary changes to the Pokémon distribution. Some Johto Pokémon are more common and/or available earlier, which is nice. Mareep being excluded is an utter shame, though. Some of the Kanto Pokémon also appear in different areas or at different times of day, several that I had forgotten about, which really surprised me.

Crystal also has one very important unique feature:

Kris! Best Johto protagonist, I prefer her over both Gold/Ethan and Lyra. I obviously played as her now. There was no other choice.

Crystal also added some other cool features that weren’t in G/S. Notably Buena’s Password, the Battle Tower, the Odd Egg, as well as various other minor updates in terms of gameplay and content.

A very minor thing I like is that you can decorate your room in Crystal (and G/S). There are some things there by default, and then you can get Charmander, Clefairy, Pikachu and Snorlax dolls if you let your mom save money for you! It is also possible to get a lot of other things through Mystery Gift, as well as a bunch of decorations that could be obtained through Stadium 2 in the original releases. So that’s cool. When I played now, I made sure to decorate my room with the dolls I obtained:

My only complaint is that there’s no gaming console in the player’s room by default, there should have been an N64 to go follow the tradition of the games having the newest stationary Nintendo console in the player’s room. But there’s one in Red’s house in Kanto, which is cool.

The mixed

When I played Crystal now, I found myself missing some features and mechanics which were introduced in the newer generations. One of the biggest was not being able to nickname my Pokémon directly on the status screen, or in every Pokémon Center. I decided to nickname every Pokémon I caught just for fun, but unfortunately, I forgot it in a few instances, notably for some Pokémon I caught early on. That forced me to wait until Goldenrod before I could fix this mistake, which was annoying.

The Box system in G/S/C is not very good. It is better than in R/B/Y… but that’s not saying much. It is inconvenient, and you can’t catch Pokémon if your current box is full. But at least Bill will call you when your current box is full, which is way better than in R/B/Y where the game didn’t tell you until you were trying to catch a Pokémon! I’m very happy Gen 3 improved upon the box system and built the foundation for what it is today.

Limited bag space is another annoyance since it means you can’t explore as freely as you want. If your bag is full, you can’t pick up items. Fortunately, you can store items in the PC, which is nice. When I played now, I always made sure to store every unnecessary item in the PC so I had as much free space as possible in my bag.

Daily/weekly events are a staple feature of the Johto games as this is where they were introduced, but I think they are a mixed bag. It is quite cool that there are specific things in the games which can only be done at certain days/times. But at the same time, this forces you to play on certain days/times if you want to do these things. Want a Lapras? You need to play on a Friday. Want a Return TM? You need to play on a Sunday. Want to catch a Spinarak? You need to play during the night. And so on. Another issue is that if you miss a daily/weekly event, it will feel like a waste since there is no way to get it back, you must wait until the next time it can be done. At least it often feels like that for me.

I think the big issue with this is that the time-based events are tied to real-life time. If the games had had a separate clock (like in L:A and ScaVio) it would have been a lot less annoying. Yes, I know you can change the time in G/S/C, but I don’t like having to do that. However, I am willing to accept this system in G/S/C because they were early installments in the series, and the time-based events being tied to real-life time were really charming back in the day. But I’m really glad they have started to move away from that in the most recent games in the series.

Apricorn Balls were first introduced in G/S/C. While I like the ability to have more balls to choose from, as well as their aesthetics in future generations, I find most of them to be pretty gimmicky when it comes to their capture functions. And many of them are glitched, some in hilarious ways! I recently made a post in the likes thread with some more in-depth thoughts on them.

The way the phone works in the Johto games is yet another mixed bag. In G/S/C, it completely breaks everything you do when you get a call, forcing you to answer. In HG/SS, it is optional, but this makes it very easy to miss a call if you are about to do something else at the time, like access the PC or talk to an NPC. It happened to me a lot of times in HG/SS. While I don’t think either approach is perfect, I prefer the way it works in G/S/C.

The bad

Unfortunately, the Johto games have a lot of issues, both major and minor. Many of them have been talked about to death, but I want share my thoughts on them now that I have played through a Johto game again.

First of all, the big one. The level curve. If you have played a Johto game, you know how bad it is, and if you haven’t played a Johto game, you have likely heard about how bad it is. When I played now, I found that the level curve in Crystal was even worse than I expected.

It starts out just fine. Wild Pokémon below level 10 up to the first Gym, and that’s okay since Falkner in G/S/C is the weakest Gym Leader ever with a level 9 Pidgeotto as his ace. But after the first Gym, you still encounter wild Pokémon below level 10 all the way up to Route 34, which is next to Whitney and her level 20 Miltank. After Goldenrod, you start seeing wild Pokémon up to level 15, which is an improvement. But it stays that way all the way until Route 44 (outside of the water routes, which have wild Pokémon in their early 20s). Then, when you get to Route 45, you can finally battle wild Pokémon at around level 25, even up to 30 if you’re lucky.

This is very slow progress for an entire region. All other regions end at considerably higher levels. But while the levels of the wild Pokémon in Johto don’t progress all that well, the levels of the Gym Leaders and other important trainers progress naturally (for the most part). The same goes for regular trainers to a lesser extent. What happened to me when I played now was that I was pretty much constantly overleveled against the wild Pokémon and regular trainers, but then I got underleveled against some of the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four (plus some other important trainers). This made the entire game unbalanced since I basically one-shotted everything in every unimportant battle, but the more important battles weren’t as easy since I didn’t have a major level advantage there.

Unfortunately, the bad level curve continues after Johto. When you get to the Pokémon League, the E4 and Lance are at level 40-50, while my team was barely at level 40 upon arriving at Indigo Plateau. There was no way I could grind all the way to level 50. My initial plan was to get to my whole team to level 45, but even that felt too sluggish, so I grinded my team to various levels between 41-45 before I took on the E4.

After beating Lance, everything is still at low levels. The trainers on the SS. Aqua are at around level 30. The Kanto Gym Leaders are at level 40-50, except Blue which is higher. The wild Pokémon in Kanto are at very low levels, while the trainers are mostly in their 30s. All in all, this means that you’ll get very little training in Kanto. When I played now, my team didn’t reach level 50 until I was almost done with Kanto. That is just way too late considering I had gone through two whole regions. When comparing this to HG/SS, they improved upon Kanto a little since I recall my teams being at level 60 once I was done with Kanto there. Though my teams in those games were at higher levels when I arrived at Kanto to start with, and reaching level 60 after two regions isn’t exactly a positive thing either.

Then, when you finally get to Route 28 and Mt. Silver, the wild Pokémon there are at around level 40… and sad as it is to say, that’s actually an improvement over the rest of the game. Some in the innermost part of the Silver Cave even reach level 51-53! And then there’s Red at level 70-80.

Outside of the main game, some optional areas are also affected by the level curve in really odd ways. When I played now, I went down to the bottom of Union Cave right after getting Surf, and the wild Pokémon there were at around level 20. And one trainer had a Poliwhirl at level 28! Very unexpected, I was not prepared for this as my team were at lower levels at that point.

To summarize, the Johto level curve is really terrible. The games are very grindy during most of Johto, you can’t really grind in Kanto, and the post-game doesn’t have many good grinding spots either. There’s the E4, Rival rematches on Mondays & Wednesdays, Cal at the Trainer House in Viridian, the SS. Aqua if you’re training at lower levels, and wild Pokémon at Mt. Silver. I know you can change opponent in the Trainer House in Viridian through Mystery Gift, but I don’t have the ability to do that. But for those who can, I can see it becoming an even better training spot.

Looking back now, I think HG/SS might actually have better training spots than G/S/C. I often complain about the lack of good training spots in HG/SS, and it is something I will forever consider their biggest issue, but I think G/S/C are actually worse. The only opponents you can find that are naturally above level 50 are Red and some of the wild Pokémon at level 51-53 in the innermost part of Mt. Silver.

One thing that I should mention is that I found Route 41 to be a pretty good training spot during the mid-game. The wild Mantine (only found in Gold and Crystal) and Tentacruel give good Exp, and the Tentacool are pretty decent as well. You need to be able to take on Water-types when grinding there though, so it isn’t suitable for every Pokémon.

So that’s the level curve. Next, let’s talk about Kanto. One of the biggest selling points for the Johto games is “Two Regions! 16 Gyms!” But is it really that good? If you ask me, the answer is no. When I played now, exploring Kanto wasn’t fun. I think it is really cool in theory, having an entire second region to explore is pretty mind-blowing when you first see it in reality. The ultra-industrialized atmosphere is also really cool. But Kanto is just so empty and uninteresting here. There’s no real story, there was nothing that motivated me to go through the Kanto Gyms other than getting it done for the sake of it. The low levels of the wild Pokémon and regular trainers doesn’t offer any challenge or good training either. The music isn’t making things better… but more about that later. That said, even if Kanto is smaller than in RBY or FRLG, it still feels quite large. Or it does at least not feel smaller than Johto. The Gym Leaders also gave me some better training than the regular trainers, which is neat. And for some strange reason, I found it more enjoyable to travel through Kanto after I had done everything there was to do in the region. Not sure why. Maybe it just contributed to the feeling of emptiness in the region, to the point that it actually made it better? It is weird, I did not expect to feel that way.

As for Johto as a region, I found it more enjoyable to explore than Kanto since it at least has a story, some level progression and acceptable grinding spots, even if neither is particularly good. However, Johto is a very HM-heavy region, practically requiring you to have all HMs on your team. I also found it quite annoying to navigate before getting Fly. But after getting Fly around halfway through the game, it was much easier and more convenient to explore, which is great.

Johto as a region was clearly designed for the GB/GBC, not the DS, and it shows. Despite all the graphics upgrades in HG/SS, Johto still felt very old in those games, especially when compared to Sinnoh and Unova. I like it better in the originals.

The Johto games are often praised for being non-linear, but is it a good non-linearity? I don’t think so. It feels like they don’t really take advantage of the non-linearity in any positive way. The levels don’t increase for a long while in Johto, and they are very unbalanced in Kanto (I assume this was made to match how they were in R/B/Y, but that’s not how you do good gameplay), making it downright harmful. At the same time, there are no real benefits from going out of order when doing things, making it pointless as well. I don’t think non-linearity in itself is bad, it is just frustrating when it is done without clear benefit. I think ScaVio did non-linearity much better than the Johto games did.

Travelling between Kanto and Johto is a bit inconvenient. They are on separate maps, which I guess is due to technical limitations, and that’s okay. But it makes things annoying when going from one region to the other since you can only Fly to areas that are on your current map. Traveling from Johto to Kanto is still quite easy though, since you can just fly to New Bark Town or Mt. Silver, walk east until you are in Kanto, and then Fly to anywhere in Kanto. Unfortunately, there’s no similar shortcut when going from Kanto to Johto. The closest is to fly to Viridian City (or Indigo Plateau), go out to Route 28 and continue to Mt. Silver. But it is much longer and requires you to go through grass. Taking the train from Goldenrod is usually faster. There’s also the SS. Aqua on some days, but it is considerably slower. With all of this said, I think this is acceptable in G/S/C. It is much worse and literally unforgivable in HG/SS since they had the chance to fix this by allowing you to fly wherever you want from both Kanto and Johto, but they didn’t, and that’s a big shame.

I talked about areas I like, so how about some areas I don’t like? The most notable is Mt. Mortar. This cave is an utter mess and a complete pain to navigate. It requires many HMs, and you need an empty spot in your party in order to receive the Tyrogue from the Black Belt at the end. When I explored it now, I used an external map to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I hope I’ll never have to explore it again. Whirl Islands is another dungeon I’m not overly fond of. It is quite messy, and traveling between the different entrances is annoying since there are borders around the islands on Route 41, making it extremely inconvenient. It isn’t as bad as Mt. Mortar, but still not particularly fun to explore.

Another thing that annoys me with many areas in the Johto games is that they require heavy backtracking. One very notable example is the extra areas in Ruins of Alph, they require you to go back through Union Cave every single time you want to reach them, which is a slog. I wish there had been some sort of shortcut that opened up once you had reached these areas for the first time, that would have been neat.

While Crystal did some improvements regarding the Pokémon distribution and availability, it is still far from perfect. Many Johto Pokémon remain rare, and some are locked to the post-game. I also felt that the Pokémon selection early on is pretty boring, but it slowly gets better once you are past Violet City.

G/S/C are the games that introduced breeding, and I did a little of it now in Crystal just to see how it was. It was not fun. It feels like it takes forever for an egg to be generated, and then it takes a very long time for the eggs to hatch as well. The Johto games have no good hatching spots either, I have tried both my usual “Kanto loop” as well as going up and down on Cycling Road, but both of them are very slow. There are no ways to cut the steps either. I guess I have been spoiled by the all the breeding improvements in the modern games, and I’m not looking forward to doing more breeding in Crystal later on.

I think G/S/C were a bit too ambitious for their time regarding some things. For instance, having a Ghost- and Dragon-type Gym when there’s only a total of 4 Pokémon for each of these types. Even worse, there’s not a single Misdreavus in the Ecruteak Gym! I think having Ghost- and Dragon-type specialists were too early before Gen 3 since there just weren’t enough Pokémon from those types.

I am not a fan of the Stat Exp. system. Maxing everything feels extremely grindy, I hope I can beat the Battle Tower without it (and maxed DVs). Just for fun, I decided to check how long it would take to max the Stat Exp. through other means than defeating 790 wild Unown. If you use 10 vitamins in all stats and then just keep going through the Elite Four over and over again, you’ll need to defeat the entire Elite Four 21 times in order to max out the Stat Exp. for all stats. That’s an absurd grind. I definitely prefer the EV-system in Gen 3-9. DVs seem okay though, basically IVs but cut in half. I’m just not really in the mood for breeding for them.

Roaming legendaries is a concept I strongly dislike, and I highly approve of how it has mostly stopped existing in the modern games. Fortunately, Crystal “only” has two roamers (compared to G/S having three, making Suicune a regular encounter in Crystal was a very good decision). But both Raikou and Entei know Roar, and this is the generation before Taunt was introduced. I have also heard about some sort of glitch where the roamers will avoid you permanently if you keep going back and forth between two areas. I did everything I could to avoid that, and thankfully, I didn’t trigger it. One good thing is that you can just use the Master Ball on one of the beasts, and then catch the other one regularly. Which is just what I did. Now that I’m done with them, I hope I don’t ever have to catch another roaming legendary in my life.

In addition to the roamers, some regular Pokémon in G/S/C can flee from battle. Yet another thing I strongly dislike, I’m glad this was scrapped in all following games.
For me, music is an important part of Pokémon games, and there’s a lot I want to say about the music in Crystal. Like in all Pokémon games, there are some good tracks, and some not so good. I won’t talk about every single track, just the ones I like the most and the least.

The good

I think the early game music is great. I like New Bark Town and Route 29 a lot, I think both of them really capture the “start of an adventure” feeling incredibly well. I definitely prefer the way they sound here in G/S/C, the remade versions in HG/SS sounds way too pretentious and do not give me the same feeling. I am also a fan of Cherrygrove City/Mahogany Town, it sounds so charming and I prefer it over the HG/SS version. But my favorite city theme in G/S/C is easily Goldenrod City.

I think it captures the “big city” feeling incredibly well and I prefer it over the HG/SS version. It hits just the right spot in terms of being sad with a happy undertone, it is bittersweet and melancholic but not downright depressing.

When it comes to dungeons, I am a huge fan of the Ice Path/Dark Cave/Slowpoke Well music, though I like the HG/SS version as well. The Tin Tower music is also excellent, it feels traditional and mysterious at the same time, which is very suitable for the Tin Tower. Lighthouse/Mt. Silver is great too, it feels a bit dark and challenging, which is just perfect for those areas.

As for the route music in Johto, my favorite is the one used at Lake of Rage and Routes 42/43/44.

I think it captures the “adventure” feeling so perfectly. I definitely prefer it over the new version in HG/SS, but I am also a big fan of the remade version used on the Sevii Islands in FR/LG. Speaking of which, I’m glad they used this track for all the “routes” at Sevii Islands 4-7 in FR/LG, since it is my favorite route theme from G/S/C. It wouldn’t have been as great if they had used another track.

I am also a fan of Route 38/39, it feels very energetic and is fun to listen to. And while not a route, I think the National Park theme is great too. The rest of the music on the Johto routes is okay. I don’t think anything is downright bad, but there’s nothing else that stands out above the rest either.

As for the battle music in Johto, it is mostly fine. I used to be very negative towards the Johto battle music in the past, but after replaying Crystal, I don’t think it is all that bad. The wild Pokémon, trainer battle, Gym Leader battle, and Lance/Red battle themes aren’t amazing, but they are still good. But there’s one I think is really great, and it is the Legendary Beasts battle theme.

It is so amazing and I love it. It really raises the tension when battling the beasts. Plus, it was the first special legendary theme in the series, making it feel extra special! I love the remade versions in HG/SS too.

Moving on to Kanto. My favorite music from Kanto is the Gym Leader battle theme, no contest.

It slaps so hard, I love everything about it. This theme was honestly the main thing that made it worth exploring Kanto this time around, hearing it whenever I battled the Gym Leaders was a blast. It is a shame that it never plays again once you have beaten all the Gym Leaders.

There are some other tracks I like from Kanto. One of them is the music in Lavender Town, I prefer it over the R/B/Y version but I think HG/SS made it even better. I am also a fan of the music at Mt. Moon Square, it sounds very unique and mysterious. I had completely forgotten about it, so I was very surprised to hear that it had a unique theme when I first arrived at the Square. Another track I like is Route 2, which is similar to the Viridian Forest theme from Gen 1 but still a bit different. According to Bulbapedia, it is remixed in a major scale while the original was in minor scale. I don’t know much about music theory and the like, but this sounds correct.

The not so good

Unfortunately, Crystal has a bunch of tracks I don’t like. I’m going to link to any of them, I will spare your ears from the pain.

In Johto, the most notable is the track played in Ruins of Alph/Union Cave/Ilex Forest and some other caves/dungeons. I think it sounds really boring and even whiny, I find it annoying to listen to. I think the HG/SS version is better. I also think the Dragon’s Den theme in G/S/C is pretty bad, I get the impression that they wanted it to be really epic, but the technology at the time didn’t really allow it. The HG/SS version is a notable improvement.

The Pokémon Center music is pretty boring to me. It is the same melody as in every generation, but I don’t like this version in G/S/C. I guess I have gotten so used to the modern versions of the track that this old one doesn’t sound good to my ears anymore.

I think the music in Johto is pretty good for the most part, while Kanto has much worse music. Vermilion City is decent, but I definitely prefer the original version from R/B/Y and FR/LG since it has a lot more energy. The track named “Places & People” which is played in Saffron and a lot of other cities is really boring and annoying to me, it makes it a lot less enjoyable to spend times in those cities. I think the HG/SS version is better, but far from amazing. The Indigo Plateau track is another one I’m not overly fond of, it is too short and loops too much, which quickly makes it uninteresting to listen to. The HG/SS version isn’t that much better either. I think the Pokémon League music in most other generations is better.

The worst music in Kanto is definitely the trainer and wild Pokémon battle themes, I think they are really terrible. I find both of them extremely boring to listen to, they are a massive step down from R/B/Y where they were at least tolerable. In fact, they were so boring that I even considered turning of the sound of my 3DS from time to time. I don’t think HG/SS improved upon them that much either.

Another of my least favorite tracks is the credits theme. When I played Crystal now, I always turned off the sound when viewing the credits. I guess I’m just not a fan of happy credits much in Pokémon, I prefer credits music that’s grand and epic or melancholic.

Final thoughts on the music

Despite all the bad tracks, I think the Crystal soundtrack is pretty good on the whole. Far from the best in the series, but not the worst either. I think some tracks are better in G/S/C than in HG/SS, while others are better in the remakes.

There are some observations I made regarding the music, and some things that were changed between G/S/C and HG/SS.

First, the music in the Slowpoke Well has changed. In G/S/C, it uses the Dark Cave/Ice Path theme, but in HG/SS, it uses the Union Cave/Ruins of Alph theme. I think the track in G/S/C suits it better.

Another change is the track that is played during the final battle against the Rival at Indigo Plateau. In G/S/C, it uses the Lance/Red battle theme, but in HG/SS, it uses the Rival’s own theme. In this case, I prefer the way it was in HG/SS as I think the Rival’s own battle theme suits him better.

Team Rocket Grunts have their own battle theme in G/S/C, but when battling Rocket Scientists or Executives, they use the regular battle theme. This is quite unsuitable, especially for the Executives. In HG/SS, they changed it so that at least the Executives also use the Rocket theme, which is far more suitable.

The legendary beasts have their own special battle theme, but the other legendaries don’t, they use the regular wild Johto Pokémon theme instead. This feels very unsuitable, and I’m glad they made original tracks for Lugia and Ho-Oh in HG/SS. Especially Ho-Oh since its battle theme is amazing and one of my favorites from HG/SS.

Another thing I have noticed about the music in G/S/C, is that whenever certain things happens in battle (like when a Poké Ball is thrown or when specific attack animations are played), the background music is partly overwritten. This annoys me since it interrupts the flow of the music. It is especially annoying in battles with really good music. I’m not sure if it has to do with the original software or if this was something that was “added” in the VC versions of the games, I don’t remember it happening when I played G/S/C as a kid, but that was so many years ago so it wouldn’t be surprising if I have just forgotten about it.
I don’t think story and characters is super important in Pokémon games. But! I can (and will) still have opinions on the subject.

Story

In Crystal, there’s not one big cohesive story, it is more a bunch of different things happening alongside each other, without ever coming together. Let’s go over them one by one.

First, we have Team Rocket. You initially encounter them at Slowpoke Well, then there’s a lone Grunt standing outside the Radio Tower, and then nothing more happens for a very long while. Once things start again, there’s the Rocket HQ part followed by the Radio Tower takeover directly afterwards. And then… it just ends.

I have many problems with Team Rocket in this game. The first one is obviously that it takes forever for something interesting to happen. The Slowpoke Well encounter is not particularly interesting, while the Lake of Rage/Rocket HQ part is decent. When I played now, the Rocket HQ was larger than I remembered, also the music there is quite creepy which creates a suitable atmosphere.

The Radio Tower takeover is easily the best part of the Team Rocket story. When I played G/S/C as a kid, I called it “the mystery of Goldenrod City”. It was really fun when I played through it for the first time because it was so unexpected and cool, it just happened out of nowhere. When I played now, I made sure to play through it when it was night (in the game) just to create the right atmosphere as I remember that it was night when I played through it for the first time as a kid.

Unfortunately, this leads us into the next problem with Team Rocket, which is that the story ends at the Radio Tower, just when it was starting to get interesting. That’s a big shame. I wish it had continued longer, and that there had been more to it. As it is now, nothing notable really happens until Mahogany, at which point you are done with 3/4 of Johto (unless you explore out of order). The evil team doing nothing of interest for such a long time feels like a big waste since there was so much more they could have done.

The Radio Tower Director mentioned that Team Rocket might be able to broadcast their radio signal over the whole region, in order to control all Pokémon in Johto (like at the Lake Of Rage), but this is only mentioned once and nothing happens with it. But despite the Director saying this, Team Rocket themselves seem to be more interested in trying to reach Giovanni. It is a shame that they didn’t do more with this radio signal idea, it would have been really cool. Another waste of a good idea.

Still, I don’t think Team Rocket is at their very worst here. When comparing Team Rocket and their storyline in G/S/C to HG/SS, I prefer the way they are handled in G/S/C. One thing I really like about G/S/C is the unnamed Executives, it is a mystery since they are all just named “Executive”, none of them are unique and it is never made clear how many of them there are. I think HG/SS changed it for the worse by making them all unique individuals. The Radio Tower part also felt better than in HG/SS, especially with the final battle taking place in a studio instead of a lookout like in HG/SS, which I always felt was completely unnecessary.

On the whole, I think there were some good ideas regarding Team Rocket, but they are handled very poorly, making their story mostly uninteresting, poorly paced and overall lacking compared to most other evil teams.

The next story is about Suicune (and the other legends). I don’t think it is particularly interesting either. The first problem is that you encounter Suicune too few times throughout the game. You first meet it in Burned Tower, then in Cianwood, then on Route 44 (which I think is optional) and finally at Tin Tower. As for the other legends, they are mostly just there, without any story surrounding them. Raikou and Entei are just Suicune’s lackeys, while Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi don’t play a part in the story at all. However, that’s actually okay. Not every legend needs to play a part in the story. I think this is another thing HG/SS changed for the worse by making Lugia/Ho-Oh a mandatory part of the story, but they didn’t do it in a good way.

With that said, I like the backstory and lore for the legends in the game, it was more interesting and considerably better than I remembered. The only one who felt a little lacking was Celebi, but that’s okay since I actually got to catch it this time around! It is a shame that the present-day story for the legends isn’t as interesting. Many other games in the series have had a great legendary story set in the present, while also having a great backstory and good lore for them, but Crystal only has the latter.

Another thing I like about Crystal is that catching and battling Suicune is optional. I used to think it was mandatory since I always did it as a kid, I never even considered skipping it back then. But a while ago, QuentinQuonce taught me that it is in fact optional. When I played now, I didn’t go to the Tin Tower to catch Suicune until after I had beaten the Elite Four.

Moving on, the third story is the Gym and Elite Four challenge. This is barely a story at all. The Gym Leaders are just… there. There’s very little motivation to go through the challenge, you basically just do it because the game tells you to… although it barely does that either.

As for the fourth (and last) story, we have Kanto. Which doesn’t really have much of a story at all. There’s the Power Plant with the stolen part and the one Rocket Grunt you have to beat… and that’s it. As if the low levels and the music wasn’t bad enough, the lack of a story in Kanto makes it feel even more like a slog to explore and go through. I wish there had been more to it, like a continuation of the Team Rocket story. As it is now, the story in Kanto is way too short and bland, nothing interesting happens at all. I do like how they made the TR Grunt into a foreigner who speaks broken English, but other than that… nothing was particularly memorable.

So that’s the four stories. Throughout the game, those stories don’t really intertwine at all, and in the end, the whole thing feel unfinished. Compare this to how ScaVio had three different story paths which aligned into one at the end.

On the whole, I don’t think the story in Crystal is particularly good. It is way simpler than the ones in Gen 3-7, but a simple story does not equal a good story. I think S/S and ScaVio did the simple story concept much better. Especially ScaVio, which shares some story ideas with the Johto games, but handles them right. The story in ScaVio is simple but very engaging to play through, while the games are also set in a full open world where the levels actually increase as you progress through the game. The more I compare Johto and Paldea, the more it feels like Paldea did what Johto tried to do, but did it better. As for the Johto story done right, I think the G/S/C chapter of Pokémon Adventures were successful at this.

Still, I guess I shouldn’t be too critical towards the story in G/S/C since this was early on in the series, the storytelling in Pokémon games and the quality of it has improved a lot since then. But that doesn’t change my opinion of the story in G/S/C. It is… not good.

Characters

Next up, we have the characters. Let’s start with the big one. The rival in G/S/C, commonly called Silver, is one of the major characters in the game. He is often praised for his oh so fantastic and amazing “character development”, and many fans hold him as their favorite rival in the whole series. But I have never been a fan of him and his story arc. Now that I have played through Crystal again, have I changed my mind? No. Now that I have his character and story arc fresh in my memory, I still fail to see what’s so great about him. I didn’t sense any notable growth or development from him throughout the entire game. There were a few small hints, like after he had been defeated by Lance at the Rocket HQ, and then at Mt. Moon, where he mentions having found what he was missing… but he did not say what it was, which is a bit too subtle for my tastes.

Another thing that annoys me is his goal. He claims many times that his goal is to become the greatest Pokémon trainer. If so, why is he not doing the Gym challenge? Or challenging the Elite Four? How exactly is he planning to become the greatest? I don’t get it. It never really plays any part in the story, it just feels very off. It would have made more sense if his goal had been to defeat Team Rocket instead, that could have been a nice hint towards Giovanni being his father (though maybe that wasn’t planned that in G/S/C, it wasn’t mentioned until FR/LG after all).

It has been 12 years since I last played through the story of HG/SS, but I recall that they did some minor changes/additions to try to improve upon the rival’s character arc/development. However, I also recall it didn’t work out.

In the end, I think the rival is still too much of a jerk at the end of the game, without any notable character development. The games pretty much botched him completely instead of making something good with him. In comparison, I think Pokémon Adventures did his story arc and his character development right. But as for how he is in the games, he is one of my least favorite rivals without any doubt.

After the rival, there’s the Gym Leaders. They are mostly just in their Gyms, with little to no impact on any of the stories. In Johto, the only ones that appear outside of their Gyms are Morty, Jasmine and Clair. Out of them, I found Clair to be surprisingly good here, she shows a lot of personality when you are trying to get the Gym Badge from her, and the whole ordeal at Dragon’s Den was better than I remembered. So that was nice. I like her considerably more after replaying Crystal. As for the others, Morty only makes a minor appearance at the Burned Tower before you release Suicune, and just like the rest of Suicune’s story, it isn’t very notable or interesting. Jasmine is taking care of Amphy at the Lighthouse, which is very kind of her. As for the others, some of them say a few cool things, but nothing that really lingers in my memory.

Just like in Johto, the Kanto Gym Leaders are also mostly just chilling in their Gyms. The only ones that appear outside of their Gyms are Misty and Blue, and neither of them play any major part in the story… though there isn’t really a story, so it barely makes a difference. I like Misty’s “date” at Route 25, it is short but fun. When I played G/S/C as a kid, I always thought Misty fell in love with the player character, not the guy she’s dating. This was because a friend told me so. But I think he was wrong as I didn’t get that impression from Misty in Crystal now.

The Elite Four are a mixed bag. Will has no trait that stands out at all, there’s nothing memorable about him. I like him better in Pokémon Adventures even if he is a bit bizarre there. I have never cared much for Karen and I think her famous quote about strong and weak Pokémon is very overrated, it is mostly the polar opposite to my own philosophy, which is more similar to the old man in the Battle Resort (if you have played OR/AS, you know). I like Koga and Bruno though. Koga is unique in how he went from being a Gym Leader to an Elite Four. Bruno is just cool all around. Lance is okay, I guess. His role in the story is very small, as he only appears during the Rocket Hideout part, but it is better than nothing. Though he is still one of my least favorite Champions. I think he is better as an Elite Four member than a Champion, it feels more suitable for him, somehow.

Red as a character (and battle) is a perfect example of something that has a great concept but a very poor execution. Battling the protagonist from the previous games, with a really powerful team… excellent idea. His name being named “Red” (which I never named my character when I played R/B/Y) always felt off, and I couldn’t identify with his team either since I never used those six Pokémon on one single team when I played R/B/Y. His complete lack of dialogue and character does not make things better. All of this turns him and his battle into a complete failure. I think there was a lot of potential to make the Red battle great (even more so in HG/SS), but it just didn’t happen.

On a similar note, I have an issue with Blue’s name as well. When I played the games as a kid, I always thought that the rival from R/B/Y and Gary from the anime were the same character. Due to this, I often named my rival “Gary” when playing R/B/Y (and I think I named my player “Ash” one or a few times too). I never named my rival “Blue”, so him being named Blue in G/S/C always felt very off to me.

The Kimono girls have a considerably smaller role here than in HG/SS, but you can battle them earlier in the game, which I prefer. I have mixed thoughts on them on the whole. I wish they had a bigger role in the game and that you could have met them outside of the theater… but at the same time, I don’t think HG/SS did this particularly well. I think they were better handled in G/S/C, yet I still wish they had played a larger part in the story, but in a better way than in HG/SS.

Another character that deserves a mention is Eusine. His part in the story is very small, I didn’t find him to be particularly interesting or memorable.

Overall, the majority of the characters aren’t very interesting. Few of them stand out, and the ones that do aren’t necessarily doing so in a good way.

Here are the details for the team I used when I played through the game.

Before I started playing, I had decided which starter to use, but I hadn’t decided on anything else. My original plan was to make a balanced team with Pokémon from many different types. I also wanted to focus on using good Pokémon since I really didn’t want to struggle anywhere in the main game. But making and planning a team for Crystal proved to be tough. Many Pokémon have terrible movepools, and there’s only 251 Pokémon to choose from… though in reality, it is even less. Some are post-game only, and there are others I can’t get at all since they require trading or are exclusive to G/S or R/B/Y.

When I initially tried to find some good Pokémon to use, I looked over the available Pokémon in the game, I checked the In-game Tier list (and older versions of it) to see which Pokémon were generally considered the best… but I couldn’t find a lot that appealed to me. Some of the most interesting ones were exclusive to G/S, while others were too rare or available too late. I kept thinking and looking for potential good team members, and I saw that there were many Pokémon from a certain type that stood out. After thinking things over, I changed my mind. Instead of making a balanced team, I decided to primarily use Pokémon from the type that stood out, making it a mostly-monotype team!

Since Johto is a very HM-heavy region, I wanted to have all HMs distributed on the team. I had originally planned to use a team of 4 main members and 2 HM slaves, but in the end, I decided to make the HM slaves actual members of the team. Regarding their movesets, I mostly focused on level-up moves, though I did use HMs (obviously) and some TMs that can be obtained indefinitely. I did not use any one-off TMs since I want to save them for the Battle Tower.

That’s the backstory. Now, how does this weird team look?

Team at a glance: :Feraligatr: :Quagsire: :Lapras: :Lanturn: :Gyarados: :Skarmory:

The team is named the Splish-Splash Warriors since it is a Mostly-Mono-Water-team. They are all nicknamed, and you should be able to figure out their nickname origins.

Team details:

Feraligatr (M) @ Mystic Water ** Krooko
- Surf
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Bite

The obvious first member of the team. Cyndaquil is my favorite Johto starter, but Totodile is the best starter for an in-game run. It is also my second favorite, and it was my number one starter choice when I played G/S/C as a kid. I had many fond memories of using it in the past and I really wanted to use it again.

Surf is the obvious STAB move, it hits hard and has full accuracy. It had Water Gun at first, but I upgraded to Surf once I got the HM in Ecruteak. Getting the best Water-type move halfway through Johto is nice. Ice Punch for coverage, it is helpful against Grass-, Flying- and Dragon-types, I got it as soon as I reached Goldenrod. I could have changed it to Blizzard or Ice Beam later on, but the former is expensive, inaccurate and has low PP, while the latter is expensive and only available during the post-post-game (after beating Red). Ice Punch was strong enough in most cases, so I saw no reason to change.

Return for coverage. I originally had Scratch, then Headbutt for a long while, but I changed it to Return once Feraligatr had reached a high enough level of Friendship. I was considering Slash for a while, but I went with Return since it is stronger. Bite in the last slot since I couldn’t think of anything better. I was considering Hydro Pump, but it never happened… simply because my Feraligatr has yet to reach level 58! Maybe I’ll make the change if it should ever get there. There were no other moves I considered since Feraligatr doesn’t learn anything else that’s useful through level-up alone. As for the hold item, I gave it a Mystic Water in order to power up Surf a bit.

Overall, Feraligatr was great throughout the entire game, just as expected. It has well-rounded stats and a good enough movepool. It was as good as I remembered from when I played G/S/C as a kid. Or actually, I think it was even better now since I gave it a competent moveset, I never used Return or Ice Punch as a kid. Looking back, I have realized that I like Feraligatr better here in G/S/C than in the newer games, since there aren’t as many other Water-types that outshine it in this generation.

Quagsire (M) @ Soft Sand ** Clodsay
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

I caught a Wooper early on, which was the second member of the team. I had used Clodsire as a reserve member of my team when I played through Violet, but I can’t recall ever using Quagsire before. I was interested in giving it a try here as I had read that it was supposed to be pretty good.

It was a pain to train at first, as it was weak, slow, and only knew Water Gun. And since I had only used Totodile before catching Wooper, I had to grind it quite a lot in order to catch up. But once it got Slam at level 11, it became notably better (even if Slam is a terrible move). Water Gun was the STAB move until it got Surf at Ecruteak, which then became the main STAB move for the rest of the game. Slam was changed to Headbutt at Ilex Forest, it is partly a downgrade since it has lower power, but I consider it an upgrade on the whole since it has better accuracy. I was thinking of changing it to Return later on, but I never did that and ended up getting rid of the Normal-type move entirely since Normal doesn’t offer any necessary coverage.

Earthquake for secondary STAB, though Quagsire didn’t learn it until level 35, which was towards the end of Johto. I was thinking of using Mud-Slap or Dig before getting Earthquake, but I decided not to as I wanted to save all one-off TMs. Ice Punch in the third slot for coverage here as well, which I taught it in Goldenrod. I didn’t use Blizzard or Ice Beam here either, same reasons as for Feraligatr.

I wasn’t sure what to use in the last slot, I considered several moves, but went with Rain Dance in the end. It could be nice to power up the Water-type moves from Quagsire and the other team members, while it would also shield Skarmory from Fire-type moves. Other options I considered were Return as mentioned, as well as Amnesia or Haze. But I went with Rain Dance, although I rarely used it. I gave Quagsire the Soft Sand in order to power up Earthquake.

Overall, Quagsire had a slow start, but it eventually became really great. It was not quite as all-round amazing as Feraligatr, but still very good. An Electric immunity with STAB Earthquake was also invaluable as four other members of the team are weak to Electric. Having Quagsire allowed me to me beat opposing Electric-types without trouble. It definitely lived up to my expectations, and I can appreciate it more after using it in Crystal.

Lapras (M) @ Nevermeltice ** Gastroh
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Body Slam
- Perish Song

I started playing Crystal on February 20th, a Tuesday. Lapras can only be caught in the bottom of Union Cave on Fridays. Reaching it requires you to have obtained Surf and beaten Morty. After deciding that I wanted to use Lapras, I had to plan when to catch it. If I rushed the game to the extreme, I could possibly make it to Ecruteak on the closest following Friday, which was the 23rd. But I didn’t want to do that. Instead, I played at my usual pace, and on the next Friday, March 1st, I had beaten Morty and obtained Surf. On that day, I went back to Union Cave, got to the bottom and caught my Lapras.

It was at level 20 upon capture, which was nice as that meant it didn’t require much grinding to catch up with the two previous members of the team. I immediately taught it Surf, it is once again the best Water STAB. It learned Ice Beam at level 36 for secondary STAB, which was quite late in the game. I wish it had learned something like Aurora Beam or even Powder Snow at a previous level in order to have an Ice-type move earlier, but better late than never! Blizzard was always out of question for the same reasons as for Feraligatr and Quagsire, and it felt pointless for Lapras since it learns Ice Beam naturally.

It had Body Slam upon capture and I never changed it. Return does more damage, but I think Body Slam is good enough, and the paralysis chance is neat too. I wasn’t sure what to use in the last slot, I considered Rain Dance at first, but since I used it on Quagsire, I decided to not use it on Lapras. Instead, I went with Perish Song. It could be useful to take down tough opponents, though the only ones I beat it with were Clair’s Kingdra and Red’s Blastoise. I gave Lapras the Nevermeltice to hold in order to power up Ice Beam.

Overall, Lapras was great. It had strong STABs which hit hard, and good enough bulk. This made it a solid member of the team. It was a bit slow, but this wasn’t an issue for the most part. I had used Lapras a few times before, usually to great success, and it turned out to be really good this time as well.

Lanturn (M) @ Magnet ** Lektroz
- Surf
- Spark
- Flash
- Thunder Wave

Upon arriving at Olivine, I obtained the Good Rod and immediately went down to the Harbor to catch a Chinchou. It arrived at level 20 just like Lapras, but since I had played quite a bit after catching Lapras, it meant that Chinchou required more training.

I taught it Surf immediately, it was the last member of the team to learn Surf. Just like for everything else, it is the best possible STAB Water-type move. It then learned Spark at level 25, which became its secondary STAB. Thunder would have been an option, but it is expensive and inaccurate. And Thunderbolt is only available during the post-post-game just like Ice Beam, so it was out of question. The third move became Flash, Lanturn is the only team member which learns Flash and it was one of the reasons I decided to use it on the team in the first place. It was useful to lower the accuracy of opponents in many different situations.

Thunder Wave in the last slot to slow down opponents and occasionally make it easier to catch wild Pokémon. My Lanturn doesn’t have an Ice-type move, which means that it can’t hit opposing Grass-types. It doesn’t learn Ice Punch, and I didn’t teach it Ice Beam or Blizzard for the same reasons as for Feraligatr and Quagsire. I never considered any other moves, Lanturn doesn’t learn anything else through level-up that felt worth using. I gave it the Magnet to hold in order to power up Spark.

Overall, Lanturn was solid. It could hit decently hard with Surf, and Spark offered great coverage, notably against opposing Water-types. It could also cripple opponents with Flash and Thunder Wave. It was a bit slow and not the strongest offensively, but it was quite bulky. I had used Lanturn before to good success, and it was great here too.

Gyarados (M) @ Pink Bow ** Millow
- Waterfall
- Strength
- Whirlpool
- Rock Smash

The first of my two HM slaves. Gyarados is great for this purpose since it learns Rock Smash and 4 HMs. Since I already had Surf on the first four team members, I could go with the remaining moves here. And yes, I used a regular Gyarados instead of the shiny because I felt like doing some unnecessary level grinding in the mid-game. No, the real reason is that I prefer regular Gyarados over its shiny variant since I like blue better than red. This also meant I didn’t need to see the shiny animation every time it was sent out. But I didn’t train it all the way from Magikarp. Instead, I caught a level 20 Gyarados with the Good Rod once I had arrived at Lake of Rage, then I trained it to level 30 so it would be the same as if I had caught the Red Gyarados.

Waterfall for STAB, it is weaker than Surf but necessary since I need it for the HM. I used Surf at first, but got rid of it after getting the Waterfall HM, making it a downgrade! Gyarados has quite low Sp.att, but Surf and Waterfall were useful against opposing Rock-, Ground- and Fire-types. Strength for coverage and for a second HM, it was the main move against most opponents. It is pretty powerful since Gyarados has good Attack. Water and Normal is also a fantastic coverage combination in Gen 2, hitting everything for neutral damage.

Rock Smash in the third slot since it is a HM disguised as a TM, I rarely used it but it could be fun to OHKO a Sneasel or lower the Defense of an opposing Pokémon. It wasn’t used that much outside of battles since there aren’t that many Rocks to smash. Whirlpool in the last slot, mostly just for the HM. I pretty much never used it in battles. I never considered any other moves for Gyarados since its main job was always to be a HM slave.

I gave Gyarados a Pink Bow to hold in order to power up Strength. I thought about changing it for a Mystic Water, but I never did that since it felt better to power up Strength. And getting the second Mystic Water from the Ruins of Alph required a Water Stone, which I didn’t obtain until getting one from Bill’s grandfather in Kanto.

Overall, Gyarados was good. It could hit hard with Strength, and Waterfall was solid enough against the types it was super effective against. It was also quite fast and bulky, making it solid on the whole. I think Gyarados can be even better when given a moveset meant for attacking instead of HM slavery, but it still worked pretty well this way.

Skarmory (M) @ Sharp Beak ** Corvin
- Steel Wing
- Fly
- Return
- Cut

After planning the first five members of the team, I was still missing two HMs: Cut and Fly. There’s no Water-type in Gen 2 which learns Fly, so I had to use something else. Discounting Smeargle and Mew, there are two Pokémon in Gen 2 which learn both Fly and Cut: Farfetch’d and Skarmory. I thought it over for a bit and settled for Skarmory in the end.

I will admit that I have never been the biggest fan of Skarmory. It has always felt very overrated to me, and in the past, it didn’t always work that well when I used it. But I decided to give it a try here. Aside from learning Cut and Fly, it is also a hard block to Grass-type moves, which this team could strongly benefit from. In addition, Skarmory has high Defense and a typing that gives it a lot of useful resistances and immunities, while it only has two weaknesses which are covered by the rest of the team.

Steel Wing for Steel STAB, though Skarmory didn’t learn it until level 49, which was right at the end of Kanto. I could have used the TM from Rock Tunnel to get it earlier, but I decided to save it since it felt like a waste to use it on a Pokémon that learns the move naturally. I had Peck in the first slot prior to learning Steel Wing, not a super great move but I couldn’t think of any other option.

Fly for main Flying STAB, and for the HM of course, it was the main move during most of the game. Drill Peck would have been nice, but it is an Egg move. Return in the third slot for “coverage”, it helps against Electric-types but I’d rather not use Skarmory against those at all. I originally had Swift, but changed to Return once Skarmory’s Friendship was high enough. Cut in the last slot for the HM, but it was rarely used in battles. I didn’t consider any other moves, I guess the only other alternative would have been Agility, but it didn’t feel necessary as Skarmory was often fast enough anyway.

I gave it the Sharp Beak to power up Fly (and Peck). I considered changing it to Leftovers or Metal Coat in Kanto, but I ended up sticking with the Sharp Beak. My Skarmory somewhat intentionally shares it nickname with a Xenoblade character. I thought about naming it “Corvik” or something at first, but “Corvin” feels more natural and flows better, so that’s what I named it.

Overall, Skarmory was solid. It was an excellent physical tank and a hard counter against Grass-types, which was something the rest of the team appreciated. The many resistances and the two immunities were also very helpful at times. I feel that I can appreciate Skarmory more after using it here, it was better than I expected.

Here’s a picture of the team in the game:

Six splashy heroes.

After playing through Crystal, I have grown to like this team a lot. I wish there were better training spots in the game so I could train them even to higher levels quickly and easily. As it is now, I don’t really have the patience to do that. Though they will get some more training in the future since I will need to grind money in order to buy vitamins (and other things) for my future Battle Tower team(s).

Just like I have done for every in-game team I have made in the past few years, I checked the defensive synergy of the team just for fun:

I guess you could say it is both good and bad at the same time. I have at least one resist/immunity to every type, which is nice. But I also have a total of four weaknesses to both Grass and Electric. Which isn’t too surprising since I have 5 Water-types and 2 -Flying-types. But this means I also have 3 resistances to Ice, 4 to Water and Fire, and 5 to Steel! Which isn’t too shabby. The unbalance of the team gives me strong advantages against certain types, and strong disadvantages against others.

In the end, this team was pretty good, and for the most part very fun to use. This is yet another team where I really stepped out of my comfort zone when it comes to in-game team-building, and that’s not bad.
Since this didn’t become a Let’s Play, I decided to share some summaries of the major battles in the game, and some other notable things that happened along the way.

I don’t recall having any trouble against my rival or Team Rocket. I never wrote anything down about my battles against them.

Note that I played on Switch mode, so when I say that I switch after defeating a Pokémon, it is before my opponent sends out their next Pokémon.

Johto Gyms

When battling the Johto Gym Leaders, I mainly used my team members. Before I had obtained all six members, I occasionally used some party fillers to help in some instances, or as sacrifices while healing my main team members.

Falkner: The weakest Gym Leader ever with a level 9 Pidgeotto as his ace. My overleveled Totodile destroyed him with ease.

Bugsy: I beat his Metapod and Kakuna without issues, but his Scyther was tough. It was faster than my Croconaw, and Fury Cutter started to do a ton of damage as the battle went on. I got Scyther down to low HP, but I was about to lose as Croconaw only had 2 HP left. I switched out and decided to sacrifice my party fillers while healing Croconaw. Fortunately, Bugsy switched to using Quick Attack, powering down Fury Cutter and letting me beat him with Croconaw afterwards.

Whitney: Before the battle, I had planned to get the Machop from the in-game trade to use as a reserve, but I didn’t manage to catch an Abra and I didn’t want to waste money at the Game Corner to buy one. So I just went with Croconaw/Quagsire and some other party fillers.

The battle started well. Croconaw beat Whitney’s Clefairy without problems. I was then going to let a Snubbull I had caught use Charm to lower Miltank’s Attack, but it got OHKO’d with Stomp before it could do anything. I sent out Quagsire. I used an X Attack, got hit by Attract, which was unfortunate as Quagsire is Male and slower. Headbutt was only strong enough for a 4HKO, Quagsire also kept getting infatuated which slowed down the battle. Rollout 4-5 did a ton of damage despite Quagsire resisting Rock, forcing me to use Potions. Miltank also used Milk Drink to heal itself whenever I had managed to get it below 50%. It eventually landed a Crit with one of the last Rollouts, KOing Quagsire. I sent out Croconaw, which is also Male and slower. I used Headbutt, but it didn’t do a lot of damage.

I was about to lose, and I realized that my only chance to win was to use Ice Punch and hope for a Freeze. I switched from Headbutt to Ice Punch… and got the Freeze! I switched out Croconaw for a backup Bellsprout and used Flash to get Miltank down to -6 Accuracy. Miltank stayed frozen for a very long time. It then defrosted and beat Bellsprout with Stomp. Back to Croconaw. Miltank kept missing and I beat it in the end. This was the hardest Johto Gym, and one of the hardest battles during the whole playthrough. Winning through hax and luck isn’t really something I like to do, but sometimes, there is no other way.

Morty: Croconaw beat his Gastly and first Haunter, but the Haunter was faster and had used Curse, so I was planning to switch out. But Morty was about to go with Gengar next. I sent out Bellsprout to sacrifice it and get rid of the Curse, then back to Croconaw. Unfortunately, Gengar was faster and used Hypnosis. I used an Awakening. But Hypnosis put me to sleep again. What now? The answer is: Quagsire. Why? It had been paralyzed by an opposing Gastly’s Lick in an earlier battle in the Gym. I had thought about going back to the Pokémon Center to heal it before Morty, but with both it and Croconaw at high HP, it didn’t feel worth it. In retrospect, it was a very good decision. So I sent in Quagsire, Gengar can’t put it to Sleep. Quagsire KO’d both Gengar and Morty’s last Haunter.

Chuck: Didn’t write this down in detail and I don’t remember it, but I’m pretty sure I 2HKO’d both members of his team.

Jasmine: Instead of doing her directly after Chuck, I waited until after clearing the Rocket HQ. Despite that, I was still slightly underleveled as my team was at level 33-34. But it was still easy. Quagsire 2HKO’d both of her Magnemite. Against Steelix, who should I use? I had 5 Water-types to choose between, but I went with Lapras. I used an X Special just because I had found one, Steelix used Sunny Day. I then took it down with some Surfs, Lapras tanked an Iron Tail along the way, Jasmine also used a Hyper Potion, but I won.

Pryce: I decided to lead with Lanturn. It OHKO’d Seel with Spark, Piloswine with Surf, and then 2HKO’d Dewgong with Spark. Easy. I was underleveled against Jasmine, but overleveled here.

Clair: I decided to use Lapras here. Ice Beam boosted by STAB and Nevermeltice OHKO’d all three of her Dragonair. Kingdra comes out. It uses Smokescreen, I use Perish Song! I switch Lapras for Skarmory, it tanks a Hyper Beam like nothing. I use Swift, then Fly (I am faster), Kingdra misses with Surf and faints from Perish Song.

Elite Four:

Will:
I lead with Lapras. His first Xatu uses Confuse Ray, Lapras doesn’t hit itself and OHKOs with Ice Beam. Jynx is next. Lovely Kiss becomes a Lovely Miss, Lapras OHKOs with a Crit Body Slam. Will continues with Exeggutor, I switch to Skarmory. I am faster and use Fly, dodging a Leech Seed. Fly does around 70%, Exeggutor uses Reflect. I use Peck, which is unfortunately not quite enough for a KO. Exeggutor uses Psychic. The next Peck KOs. Will continues with Slowbro, I switch to Lanturn. I use Spark, get a Crit and an OHKO! Just the second Xatu left. It uses Confuse Ray, but Lanturn successfully uses Thunder Wave. Lanturn hits itself on the next turn and is hit by Psychic. I switch to Lapras which OHKO’s with Ice Beam.

Koga: I lead with Skarmory. Fly as Ariados uses Double Team, but I hit and OHKO. Next out is Forretress, I switch to Feraligatr. Forretress uses Spikes as I Surf, it then uses Protect, but one more Surf afterwards is enough to take it down. Koga continues with Venomoth, I switch back to Skarmory which OHKOs with Fly. Muk is next, so I send out Quagsire and OHKO with Earthquake. Lastly, Crobat. It uses Double Team, I use Ice Punch, hit and get a Freeze! Koga uses a Full Restore, I Ice Punch again and get a Crit! Crobat uses Toxic, I use Ice Punch for a KO.

Bruno: I lead with Skarmory. I use Fly against Hitmontop, but it uses Detect. I use Peck instead, which is a 3HKO, Skarmory takes minimal damage from Quick Attack in the process. Hitmonchan is next. I switch to Quagsire which 2HKO’s with Earthquake while tanking two Mach Punches. Next is Hitmonlee. It is faster and uses Swagger, but I hit with EQ for a solid OHKO. Next is Machamp. I switch back to Skarmory and accidentally use Peck instead of Fly, but it does surprisingly much. Machamp misses with Cross Chop, I then use Fly and get a KO. Last out is Onix. I switch to Feraligatr which gets a clean OHKO with Surf.

Karen: I lead with Feraligatr. Umbreon uses Double Team followed by Faint Attack, I am faster and 3HKO with Surf. Vileplume comes out, I switch to Skarmory which OHKOs with Fly. Next is Houndoom, I switch back to Feraligatr. Houndoom is faster and uses Crunch which deals a ton of damage, I OHKO with a Crit Surf. Gengar next. I switch to Quagsire, Gengar is kind and uses Curse, I OHKO with Quake. Last is Murkrow. I switch to Lapras which OHKOs with Ice Beam.

Lance: I lead with Feraligatr, Lance with Gyarados. I should have checked his lineup before starting the battle, I thought he would lead with Aerodactyl. Too late now. Anyway, I 3HKO with Return, Gyarados uses Hyper Beam but it doesn’t do more than 1/3. Next up is a Dragonite. I assume it is the only with Electric-moves, so I switch to Quagsire. The Dragonite (which is at level 47) uses Twister followed by Hyper Beam, I 2HKO with Ice Punch. Another Dragonite is next up, it is also at level 47. I switch to Lapras. Dragonite uses Thunder Wave, Lapras is paralyzed and can’t move. It then uses Hyper Beam which doesn’t do a lot, I OHKO with Ice Beam.

Aerodactyl is next. I send out Lanturn. Aerodactyl uses Hyper Beam while I 2HKO with Surf. Next up is the third Dragonite, the one at level 50. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I let Lanturn stay in. Dragonite is faster and KOs with Hyper Beam. I send in Lapras which OHKOs with Ice Beam. Lastly, Charizard. Since I have yet to use Gyarados during the E4 Challenge, I decide to give it a chance to shine now. Charizard is faster and uses Flamethrower, Wing Attack and Hyper Beam in that order, but Gyarados lives through the massacre with 30 HP left and manages to 3HKO with Waterfall. In the end, Lance was a little harder than the others, but still easy.

On the whole, the Elite Four was easy. I expected some issues since I was underleveled, but I used type advantages to the fullest and healed my team between the battles, which allowed me to win with ease.

Kanto Gyms:

Lt Surge:
Quagsire nuked him with Earthquake.

Sabrina: Wasn’t sure what to use here, but I decided to use the three lowest-leveled members of my team to give them some training. Sabrina leads with Espeon, I lead with Skarmory. Espeon uses Sand-Attack while I use Fly, but I miss! The next two Fly hits for a 2HKO, but Skarmory takes a ton of damage from 2 Psychics. Mr. Mime is next, I switch to Lanturn. Thunder Wave as Mime uses Barrier, I then 3HKO with Surf. Last is Alakazam, I switch to Gyarados. Alakazam uses Reflect, I use Strength and get a Crit which is enough for an OHKO.

Erika: Skarmory soloed her (and the entire Gym) without major issues, Fly and Peck was all I needed.

Janine: Skarmory soloed her as well. It dodged the Explosion from the first Weezing and the second one did 30 HP of damage! The rest were no problems either.

Misty: Gyarados 2HKO’d her Golduck with Strength, Lapras 2HKO’d her Quagsire with Ice Beam, including an unnecessary Freeze. Lanturn 2HKO’d her Lapras and Starmie with Spark.

Brock: Quagsire beat his Graveler and Kabutops, though I was surprised by Kabutops having Giga Drain. It did quite a lot of damage to Quagsire, but it would only have been a 3HKO. I don’t remember who I used against the rest of his team but I’m quite sure I just 1-2HKO’d all of them.

Blaine: Feraligatr OHKO’d his team with Surf, though Rapidash was faster and hit with a Fire Blast before going down.

Blue: I was underleveled, but I was feeling confident and decided to make it a fun battle, making it so that each member of my team defeated one of Blue’s. I lead with Feraligatr, which 2HKO’d Pidgeot with Ice Punch. Skarmory took down Exeggutor with Fly, though it took a few hits since Blue used a Full Restore. Quagsire took down Arcanine with Surf and Earthquake, but once again, a Full Restore made it take a little longer. Gyarados beat Alakazam with Strength, but Reflect and Recover made this one take a little longer as well! Lapras OHKO’d Rhydon with Surf, while Lanturn 2HKO’d Blue’s Gyarados with Spark.

So that's the Kanto leaders. But one challenge remained.

Red: Before battling Red, I grinded my whole team to level 55, couldn’t bother going any further due to the bad training spots in the game, and my patience isn’t infinite.

Red leads with Pikachu, I lead with Quagsire. Pikachu uses Charm, Quagsire uses Earthquake which does a lot but not enough for a KO. Red then uses 2 Full Restores while I keep using Earthquake. He then changes to Quick Attack, allowing me to KO. Venusaur is next up, just as expected, so I switch to Skarmory. Venusaur uses Solarbeam twice, but it does nothing as I use Fly twice (Skarmory is slower), which is enough for a KO. Red continues with Charizard, which is also expected. I send in Feraligatr, which tanks two Flamethrowers and 2HKOs with Surf.

Next up is Espeon. I had hoped he would wait with it until later so I could put my secret plan in motion, but I will try anyway. I switch to Lapras. Espeon uses Psychic which does almost 50%, I use Perish Song! I switch to Skarmory which tanks 2 Psychics and uses Fly. However, Red is smart enough to switch out Espeon on the last turn of Perish Song. I had sort of expected that to happen. My plan is ruined, but I can still win.

Snorlax comes out. I decide to sacrifice Skarmory, so I use Steel Wing for some chip damage before falling to Body Slam. Now, who should handle this beast? I’m not sure, but I go for Quagsire. Snorlax uses Amnesia as I use Earthquake, it lives another Earthquake with very little HP left and uses Rest. I use Earthquake again and get a Crit, which does around 50%. Snorlax attacks with Snore, but I Quake twice more which is enough for a KO. Espeon comes out again. I switch to Lanturn, which tanks a Psychic before paralyzing with Thunder Wave. I use Flash twice, and thanks to that and the Paralysis, Espeon doesn’t manage to hit me again, so I KO with a few Surfs.

Last out is Blastoise. Since Red has no other Pokémon left, I switch back to Lapras. I use Perish Song, but Blastoise is faster and uses Whirlpool! Did he have to ruin my secret plan a second time? Come on! Blastoise uses Surf, I use Body Slam which gets it paralyzed, but it doesn’t matter. Another Body Slam does not KO, but Blastoise KO’s Lapras with Surf. Since I have yet to use Gyarados in this battle, I decide to end with it, just like against Lance. I use Strength, Blastoise does whatever and faints from Perish Song, Gyarados lives.

This was the only battle where two of my team members fainted (not counting party fillers), making it relatively hard. Yet at the same time, I beat Red while being severely underleveled, making him easy.

Legendaries

Some short summaries for how it went when I caught the legendaries in the game.

:Suicune:
First out was Suicune. It was an odd battle. I started with Feraligatr because I wanted to try and get a Freeze with Ice Punch… and just like against Whitney, it happened! I then chipped Suicune down to red HP, and it never defrosted, staying frozen throughout the entire battle. I caught it after around 15-20 balls. A great first legendary capture.

:Celebi:
Second was Celebi. I chipped it down to red and paralyzed it. I expected it to be annoying since it had both Heal Bell and Safeguard, but I caught it in around five balls, which was nice.

:Raikou:
Third was Raikou. Directly after catching Celebi, I decided to catch Raikou just so I had it done. I bought a ton of Super Repels and put a Pokémon at below level 40 in the first spot in my party. I went down from Ecruteak to Routes 37/36/35 several times, but didn’t meet any of the beasts. Decided to try another Route, so I went to Blackthorn and down to 45, and I met Raikou immediately! Caught it in the Master Ball.

:Entei:
The fourth was Entei. I raised a Jynx, based on this strategy, thanks QuentinQuonce for letting me know that it exists. I trained Jynx to level 39 and made sure it had a Speed stat above 97, then I started hunting for Entei. I had already met it, which allowed me to check its location in the Pokédex. I managed to get on the same Route as it pretty quickly, which happened to be Route 38. I went into the grass and met it after walking around a little. I use Mean Look, Entei uses Ember which hurts quite a lot. Didn’t think it would attack since I trapped it. But it doesn’t matter. Lovely Kiss, then Dream Eater which does a ton of damage, it brings Entei down to red. It wakes up, so I use Lovely Kiss again. My plan was to let it escape now so I could just put it to sleep on subsequent encounters, so I switch to Feraligatr. But as long as Entei is asleep, I can try to catch it. I throw an Ultra Ball. It shakes once, twice, thrice… and caught! All those preparations, and I got it immediately. But that’s a good thing.

No more roaming for you, flame emperor.

:Lugia:
After Entei, I decided to do Lugia next since I wanted to save Ho-Oh for last. I explored all of Whirl Islands and made it down to Lugia’s lair. The battle was tough. I started with Lanturn, Thunder Wave and then Flash down to -6. I then had to get Lugia down to red… again and again, since it knows Recover. All the Gen 2 legends except Suicune has at least one annoying move. Whenever Lugia stayed in the red, I threw balls to catch it. But it always escaped. In the end, it even came down to Struggling. But since it was at -6, it never hit me, since Struggle can miss in Gen 1-3. Thankfully, I caught it soon after it started to Struggle.

:Ho-oh:
Ho-Oh was last, and it was the toughest. I used the same strategy as against Lugia, but it kept hitting me a lot despite being at -6 Accuracy, chances are I miscounted how many of my Flashes hit and only got it down to -5. Either way, Ho-Oh just refused to stay in any ball I threw at it. It got down to Struggling here as well, and in the end, it Struggled itself to death. Really annoying. But I tried again, with the same strategy, making absolutely sure to get it down to -6 this time around. And this time, it went much easier. It didn’t even get down to Struggling, I caught it quite quickly.

With this, the first of my two childhood dreams is complete.

Lugia and Ho-Oh were really tough, while the others were easy, especially Entei. I’m honestly glad it turned out this way, it would have been much worse if Entei had been the one that was tough to catch.

All six of them. Can’t show them all at once (unless I were to take more photos, which I won’t do because I am lazy), but you should be able to guess who is who based on their nicknames.

Other things:

:Snorlax:
While not a legendary, I want to talk about Snorlax. The fight against it is pretty tricky. It knows Rest and holds a Leftovers while being at level 50, which is pretty high. It was higher than any of my team members at that point in the game. Catching Snorlax was annoying since I had to keep damaging it to keep it at low HP, but I could never do too much damage since I didn’t want to KO it. But I caught it quite quickly. I also soft-reset for a Female in order to hopefully make future breeding easier.

:Unown-C:
I also caught a complete Unown collection, just for fun. I had previously done it in LeafGreen, Platinum, HeartGold, Omega Ruby and Legends: Arceus, so this became my sixth complete Unown collection in total. Missing :Unown-!: and :Unown-?: obviously, since they weren’t introduced until Gen 3. It went pretty easy and fast this time around, I found all 26 letters quite quickly, and caching them were no problems. Doing this unlocked the ability to print Unown stickers… which can’t be done in the VC version of the game. But that’s okay, having the full collection is enough for me.

A glitch that was not meant to happen

I decided to do a test run at the Battle Tower with three members of my in-game team, just to see if it was as hard as I remembered it from my childhood. Which it was. But that’s not what I wanted to talk about. When doing this, I somehow managed to create a weird glitch.

What happened was this: I had caught a few Pokémon without checking my boxes, then I went to the Battle Tower. I had a full party, and since you can only enter with three Pokémon, I deposited the three I wasn’t going to use before entering. The first battle was tough, and it eventually turned into a stall battle which I knew I was going to lose. I noticed that you can’t quit battles by running here, so instead, I decided to reset my game. I then made another try with the same team, and this time, I actually lost the first battle. Afterwards, I checked my boxes and withdrew the three team members I had deposited… and found that something had happened with the box.

The first thing I noticed was that every Pokémon in the box except the first and last three had their nicknames shifted one step up. Then, I saw that a Raticate I had caught had seemingly became corrupted. It’s nickname had changed (the original nickname had shifted to the Pokémon above it, an Arbok), and when viewing the Raticate’s summary, it is totally glitched. Here are some images of it:

Upon checking it later, it looks like this instead.

I’m not sure what happened, but I believe it has to do with depositing three Pokémon in the box, and then resetting my game during the battle at the Tower. I have avoided interacting with this Raticate afterwards since I don’t want to risk my game getting corrupted, and I have avoided depositing any more Pokémon in that box since I don’t want to risk any more Pokémon getting corrupted. Fortunately, it seems like only the Raticate was affected, everything else seems to be fine apart from some of them getting their nicknames changed.

If anyone knows more about this glitch, I would like to hear about it.
I have cleared Kanto, Johto and Mt. Silver, explored all areas, caught all legendaries and a complete Unown collection, as well as done a bunch of other, minor things… and I consider myself done for now, but I am not done with the game on the whole. There are more things I have planned to do, but right now, I need a break. I have played Crystal a lot during the past two months, and I’m honestly quite tired of it at this point. I will take a break from it and play some other games instead, then get back to it in the future. Hopefully later this year.

Once I get back, the one major thing I have left to do is to try and beat the Battle Tower. I have some ideas for what Pokémon to use, and I have even started planning a little, but if anyone has any advice or ideas for what teams to use at the Tower, I’d love to hear them. Unfortunately, I am limited to what I can obtain in Crystal as I am unable to trade and have no access to other games.

I would have liked to complete the Pokédex as well, but since I am unable to do so, I won’t do it. That said, if I should ever gain the means to complete it in the future, I will do it for sure. For now, knowing that I did it in my original Crystal cart as a kid will be enough (only missing Mew and Celebi). That said, I will obtain a few more Pokémon after beating the Battle Tower. Right now, I have 123 Pokémon registered in the dex. But I won’t catch/obtain every Pokémon that I can (so no “207 challenge”).

Other than that, I would have liked to train my team to level 70-80 or so, but I don’t really have the time or patience for it. As mentioned earlier, they will get some more training when I grind money to use on Vitamins and other stuff for my Battle Tower team(s), but I’m not sure how far that will get them. I have been thinking about using Poké Transporter to send them forward in time to Ultra Sun and train them there instead, but I’m not sure. When it comes to my teams, I generally prefer to keep them in their game of origin. Maybe I’ll send them over once I have beaten the Battle Tower, but for now, they will stay here in Crystal.

Looking back now, I wonder how in the world I could bother grinding several Pokémon to level 100 when I played G/S/C as a kid. It is a mystery which I wish I could remember. I think it was just easier back then since I hadn’t been spoiled by the amazing training spots in the modern games. I really wish I could have that mindset now as well. Or even better, that there had been better training spots in Crystal.
Is Crystal a good or a bad game? If you ask me, the answer is neither. I think the game is simply okay. It isn’t amazing, but I wouldn’t say it is downright bad either. The Johto games get a lot of praise within the fandom and they are often considered the best games in the series, but that’s something I strongly disagree with. I think the Johto games are highly overrated and that they deserve more criticism, not praise. But I definitely prefer Crystal over G/S, and all three of them over HG/SS. I think Crystal is the most complete Johto game since it has some cool features that the others are missing.

Between nostalgia and gameplay issues, the gameplay issues is the winner in the end. Which is a shame, but that’s how it is. I wish I liked the Johto games more. I want to like them more, but I can’t. They have too many issues for my tastes. Since I consider level curve and training spots to be very important in Pokémon, it drags them down quite a lot.

How does Crystal stack up to the rest of the series? I’d rank it quite low. Better than R/B/Y, G/S and HG/SS, but worse than everything else. Basically unchanged from before. On my tier list, Crystal would be a C-tier game. Not bad, but not exactly great either. Playing through Crystal again didn’t change my opinion of it, it just confirmed what I previously thought of the game.

I had fun when playing through Crystal again, that can’t be denied. I just wish it had been better. I also wish HG/SS had been better and fixed all of the Johto gameplay issues while keeping everything from Crystal.

After playing through Crystal again, I can appreciate the newer games more thanks to all of their gameplay improvements. Some people (notably former Pokémon fans) like to claim that the series hasn’t evolved, but if we compare Crystal to ScaVio, the series has evolved a lot. And that’s something I like.

Would I recommend Crystal to other players? No. If you have played it before, it might be worth to play through the game again if you want a dose of nostalgia, but other than that, you are better off with the newer games. If you haven’t played Crystal before, then you have no reason to do so unless you are interested in researching how Pokémon was in the past. I can’t really recommend any of the Johto games due to their big gameplay issues, I would recommend people to focus on other (newer) games instead.
That’s what I have to say about Crystal. If you read all of this or just some parts of it, thank you. Writing all of this took a long while, but it was fun, and I’m glad to get all of these thoughts out of my head.

:Unown-T: :Unown-H: :Unown-E: :Suicune: :Unown-E: :Unown-N: :Unown-D:

I’m not sure what happened, but I believe it has to do with depositing three Pokémon in the box, and then resetting my game during the battle at the Tower. I have avoided interacting with this Raticate afterwards since I don’t want to risk my game getting corrupted, and I have avoided depositing any more Pokémon in that box since I don’t want to risk any more Pokémon getting corrupted. Fortunately, it seems like only the Raticate was affected, everything else seems to be fine apart from some of them getting their nicknames changed.

If anyone knows more about this glitch, I would like to hear about it.
I found a few different mentions of this box corruption all on 3DS VC as well with no particular cause. These mons may actually be hybrid mons with "Raticate" being a bad clone.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/g9a9ak https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/10mn05t
I also found an anecdote of someone getting stuck in a glitch area, so maybe VC Crystal is just more prone to these potential errors for some reason compared to original hardware or emulator, maybe because of the SD card. I know that using Poke Transporter after interrupting a save after swapping boxes can clone mons from a different box but render Box 1 unusable.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemoncrystal/comments/12mt0rf

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I was originally planning to play with battle animations off in order to speed up the game. But I changed my mind and decided to play with them on during the main game, just for fun. I have many fond memories of the animations from when I played G/S/C as a kid. They are simple, but some are pretty cool, and I like many of the sound effects. Playing with them on made battles a bit slower during the main game, but I didn’t mind. I turned off the animations when level grinding and catching legends, and after I had cleared Kanto, I turned them off for good.
Oh absolutely! Crystal's animations are the best, they're so full of character. I love the way a lot of them only animate one part of the sprite, like how Arbok rotates its tail or how Spearow raises one wing while keeping its feet still.

By comparison I found most of Emerald's animations incredibly lacking. A lot of them, like Dodrio and Nuzleaf, look pretty vibrant but so many of them just shake the sprite from side to side or make it glow, which always struck me as pretty lazy.

It starts out just fine. Wild Pokémon below level 10 up to the first Gym, and that’s okay since Falkner in G/S/C is the weakest Gym Leader ever with a level 9 Pidgeotto as his ace. But after the first Gym, you still encounter wild Pokémon below level 10 all the way up to Route 34, which is next to Whitney and her level 20 Miltank. After Goldenrod, you start seeing wild Pokémon up to level 15, which is an improvement. But it stays that way all the way until Route 44 (outside of the water routes, which have wild Pokémon in their early 20s). Then, when you get to Route 45, you can finally battle wild Pokémon at around level 25, even up to 30 if you’re lucky.

This is very slow progress for an entire region. All other regions end at considerably higher levels. But while the levels of the wild Pokémon in Johto don’t progress all that well, the levels of the Gym Leaders and other important trainers progress naturally (for the most part). The same goes for regular trainers to a lesser extent. What happened to me when I played now was that I was pretty much constantly overleveled against the wild Pokémon and regular trainers, but then I got underleveled against some of the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four (plus some other important trainers). This made the entire game unbalanced since I basically one-shotted everything in every unimportant battle, but the more important battles weren’t as easy since I didn’t have a major level advantage there.

Unfortunately, the bad level curve continues after Johto. When you get to the Pokémon League, the E4 and Lance are at level 40-50, while my team was barely at level 40 upon arriving at Indigo Plateau. There was no way I could grind all the way to level 50. My initial plan was to get to my whole team to level 45, but even that felt too sluggish, so I grinded my team to various levels between 41-45 before I took on the E4.

After beating Lance, everything is still at low levels. The trainers on the SS. Aqua are at around level 30. The Kanto Gym Leaders are at level 40-50, except Blue which is higher. The wild Pokémon in Kanto are at very low levels, while the trainers are mostly in their 30s. All in all, this means that you’ll get very little training in Kanto. When I played now, my team didn’t reach level 50 until I was almost done with Kanto. That is just way too late considering I had gone through two whole regions. When comparing this to HG/SS, they improved upon Kanto a little since I recall my teams being at level 60 once I was done with Kanto there. Though my teams in those games were at higher levels when I arrived at Kanto to start with, and reaching level 60 after two regions isn’t exactly a positive thing either.

Then, when you finally get to Route 28 and Mt. Silver, the wild Pokémon there are at around level 40… and sad as it is to say, that’s actually an improvement over the rest of the game. Some in the innermost part of the Silver Cave even reach level 51-53! And then there’s Red at level 70-80.
The worst effect of the game's dumb level curve is how there's literally no good grinding spot. Even though a couple of the Mt Silver spawns give decent amounts of exp, there's too many basic-stage spawns that don't so even if you're levelling something weak with an Exp Share, it takes forever to raise it up. The innermost chamber of Mt Silver is almost serviceable but there really needed to be a Cerulean Cave equivalent with fully-evolved Pokemon spawning at properly high levels, 50 is just not enough for the endgame.

I also wish they'd have had rematch teams for the Elite Four in GSC - they didn't need to change the teams, just add 20 levels to everyone once you've got all 16 badges.

To summarize, the Johto level curve is really terrible. The games are very grindy during most of Johto, you can’t really grind in Kanto, and the post-game doesn’t have many good grinding spots either. There’s the E4, Rival rematches on Mondays & Wednesdays, Cal at the Trainer House in Viridian, the SS. Aqua if you’re training at lower levels, and wild Pokémon at Mt. Silver. I know you can change opponent in the Trainer House in Viridian through Mystery Gift, but I don’t have the ability to do that. But for those who can, I can see it becoming an even better training spot.
HGSS made Trainer House far less cool, it was great to have a customisable foe who you could actually earn exp from - but I do wish GSC had let you have more than one foe in there. The last 5 or 10 people you'd Mystery Gifted with instead of one. Still, it was a good way to get Pokemon you otherwise wouldn't see in your dex - back in the day I had my friend who had a Scizor in Trainer House and it really felt like an interesting, exotic new sight at the time.

The Johto games are often praised for being non-linear, but is it a good non-linearity? I don’t think so. It feels like they don’t really take advantage of the non-linearity in any positive way. The levels don’t increase for a long while in Johto, and they are very unbalanced in Kanto (I assume this was made to match how they were in R/B/Y, but that’s not how you do good gameplay), making it downright harmful. At the same time, there are no real benefits from going out of order when doing things, making it pointless as well. I don’t think non-linearity in itself is bad, it is just frustrating when it is done without clear benefit. I think ScaVio did non-linearity much better than the Johto games did.
I wish they'd made Jasmine, Pryce, and Chuck more equivalent in terms of levels - failing that, they should have just scrapped the non-linearity and committed to the official gym order. Seriously - you could keep the ability to go to Mahogany and do the Red Gyarados/Rocket Hideout subplot early, just don't open Mahogany Gym until you've got six badges. Simples!

First, we have Team Rocket. You initially encounter them at Slowpoke Well, then there’s a lone Grunt standing outside the Radio Tower, and then nothing more happens for a very long while. Once things start again, there’s the Rocket HQ part followed by the Radio Tower takeover directly afterwards. And then… it just ends.

I have many problems with Team Rocket in this game. The first one is obviously that it takes forever for something interesting to happen. The Slowpoke Well encounter is not particularly interesting, while the Lake of Rage/Rocket HQ part is decent. When I played now, the Rocket HQ was larger than I remembered, also the music there is quite creepy which creates a suitable atmosphere.

[...]

Still, I don’t think Team Rocket is at their very worst here. When comparing Team Rocket and their storyline in G/S/C to HG/SS, I prefer the way they are handled in G/S/C. One thing I really like about G/S/C is the unnamed Executives, it is a mystery since they are all just named “Executive”, none of them are unique and it is never made clear how many of them there are. I think HG/SS changed it for the worse by making them all unique individuals. The Radio Tower part also felt better than in HG/SS, especially with the final battle taking place in a studio instead of a lookout like in HG/SS, which I always felt was completely unnecessary.

On the whole, I think there were some good ideas regarding Team Rocket, but they are handled very poorly, making their story mostly uninteresting, poorly paced and overall lacking compared to most other evil teams.
Fun fact: as the game progresses, Goldenrod slowly fills up with Team Rocket grunts. I never noticed this until recently (I suppose because I never had much cause to go back to Goldenrod as I've marathoned the Johto games quite a few times).

Agreed on the Executives, I never really could bring myself to find any of the characters HGSS created all that interesting. Petrel is just... some bumbling idiot, and Proton is a hottie who's apparently quite cruel (but this never really manifests in any meaningful way). It definitely felt much more threatening when they were just a bunch of unnamed Executives; they felt much more like adults and like serious, competent individuals.

The next story is about Suicune (and the other legends). I don’t think it is particularly interesting either. The first problem is that you encounter Suicune too few times throughout the game. You first meet it in Burned Tower, then in Cianwood, then on Route 44 (which I think is optional) and finally at Tin Tower. As for the other legends, they are mostly just there, without any story surrounding them. Raikou and Entei are just Suicune’s lackeys, while Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi don’t play a part in the story at all. However, that’s actually okay. Not every legend needs to play a part in the story. I think this is another thing HG/SS changed for the worse by making Lugia/Ho-Oh a mandatory part of the story, but they didn’t do it in a good way.

With that said, I like the backstory and lore for the legends in the game, it was more interesting and considerably better than I remembered. The only one who felt a little lacking was Celebi, but that’s okay since I actually got to catch it this time around! It is a shame that the present-day story for the legends isn’t as interesting. Many other games in the series have had a great legendary story set in the present, while also having a great backstory and good lore for them, but Crystal only has the latter.
Actually disagree entirely. I mentioned this way back in this thread, but for me Crystal really succeeds in creating this sense of fundamental strangeness and complete unknowability to its native legendaries. They never really communicate clearly - it's left to other characters to guess at what they think and why they're doing what they're doing, and this creates a real sense of distance; you're never quite sure what they want. In a lot of later games, the legendary Pokemon might do something and a character will often address them directly and ask "did you come to help?" or something similar, which the legendary will acknowledge.

There's none of that here, because Johto's legendaries aren't acting on behalf of humanity - their goals seem completely divorced from ours, and not always in tandem. We don't have any control over them, they appear when they want to. You get the sense that they're beyond the grasp of humanity full-stop. Eusine mentions having tracked Suicune for ten years, but even then he doesn't seem to have any realistic expectation of catching it: just seeing it seems to be enough for him. It's a far cry from the teams of scientists in RBY who cloned Mew and plan to go seeking the legendary birds, or the evil team leaders in Hoenn and Sinnoh who seek to bend legendary Pokemon to their will with mythical artefacts. Even Celebi's appearance in Ilex Forest feels like something you're doing on its whim, not your own - Kurt certainly doesn't make the GS Ball start to react, and he has no control over how it causes the forest to react.

And this attitude of reverence is something that extends to non-legendary Pokemon as well. Even the Slowpoke, who the people of Azalea Town hold in high esteem for their power of summoning rain, are not remotely viewed as anything humans can control. When the Slowpoke disappear, one of the townspeople thinks they've gone of their own accord; another questions whether it's because the forest's guardian is angry with them and concludes that it must be a bad omen. The intriguing messages left by the civilisation who apparently built the Ruins of Alph regarding the Unown (Our words shall remain here for the ages/They possess great insight and refuse the outside world/We humans must learn to walk in harmony with them. We depart for their sakes/Thus we shall erect a Pokémon statue outside) indicate a relationship between humans and Pokemon that was distant but reverential, to the extent that the humans chose to build a statue in their honour - but that the Unown refused further integration with those same humans for some reason and prompted the humans to depart. I like that this is never fully explained, and oblique enough for people to draw their own conclusions.

In sum, it's a wholly strange and unsettling aura of mystery that later games have never quite managed to recapture. I love the way in which Johto's lore is so indefinite - it constantly pulls back from giving hard answers to anything, instead leaving things open-ended and answering questions with further questions. Even the additions HGSS made to the lore don't totally fill in the picture.

Moving on, the third story is the Gym and Elite Four challenge. This is barely a story at all. The Gym Leaders are just… there. There’s very little motivation to go through the challenge, you basically just do it because the game tells you to… although it barely does that either.
Much as I like the Johto gym leaders in concept, I wish they'd been a bit more integrated into the story proper. Like, where was Bugsy during the Team Rocket incident exactly? (HGSS did at least show Team Rocket blockading Goldenrod's gym, which I liked a lot.) Similarly, Pryce, Chuck, and Falkner could have been seen outside their gyms during the story (though I always found it funny that Chuck never leaves his gym unless prompted in HGSS because he's taken his pledge to train 24/7 literally).

There was a really good addition Crystal made with Morty, IMO. He gives an entirely valid reason for why he's out of his gym: one of the responsibilities of Ecruteak's Gym Leader is being knowledgeable about the myths and legends of the region, so he's accompanied Eusine to the Burned Tower. Clair also got some welcome additional characterisation in Crystal vs GS - I got the impression she's failed the Dragon Den Elder's quiz multiple times because she's too hotheaded and stubborn to realise that "my Pokemon are my friends", "I want to battle anyone", and "strong and weak Pokemon are both equally important" are the correct answers.

Next up, we have the characters. Let’s start with the big one. The rival in G/S/C, commonly called Silver, is one of the major characters in the game. He is often praised for his oh so fantastic and amazing “character development”, and many fans hold him as their favorite rival in the whole series. But I have never been a fan of him and his story arc. Now that I have played through Crystal again, have I changed my mind? No. Now that I have his character and story arc fresh in my memory, I still fail to see what’s so great about him. I didn’t sense any notable growth or development from him throughout the entire game. There were a few small hints, like after he had been defeated by Lance at the Rocket HQ, and then at Mt. Moon, where he mentions having found what he was missing… but he did not say what it was, which is a bit too subtle for my tastes.
Oh no, you made me link to this post (but for real, I disagree, I think his characterisation in GSC is refreshingly subtle, and subtly mature; he doesn't change his mannerisms all that much, but his personality and character traits do notably soften - something HGSS took a massive dump all over)

Another thing that annoys me is his goal. He claims many times that his goal is to become the greatest Pokémon trainer. If so, why is he not doing the Gym challenge? Or challenging the Elite Four? How exactly is he planning to become the greatest? I don’t get it. It never really plays any part in the story, it just feels very off.
I always assumed he was, but not in any structured or ordered way. He comes out of the Olivine Gym when you walk past it and complains that the gym leader isn't there, so my assumption was that he was there to challenge her. It's just that most of Johto's gyms are inaccessible for one reason or another initially in GSC, so I supposed if he came to a city where the gym wasn't currently he shrugged and went "fuck it, never mind" and moved on. Equally, I expect he probably battled a couple of gym leaders and probably lost to at least one of them, in which case he also shrugged and went "fuck it, never mind" and moved on as well. It's pretty evident throughout that he doesn't have a lot of respect for established structures and traditions, as demonstrated by the casual disdain he has for the Elder in Sprout Tower, so I don't think he considered doing a straightforward gym challenge as worth his time. He's more interested in being strong on his own terms and going his own way, but he's not above challenging anyone known to be powerful for the sake of a good challenge.

And he follows the player to the Pokemon League so he'd almost certainly want to challenge them too. It's just that the player beats him both times before he can challenge them, which obviously makes him reconsider - if he can't beat you, maybe he's not ready for the League challenge. When the player beats him at Indigo Plateau his parting words are "try not to lose!" which is ironically reminiscent of Clair telling the player "Don't you dare lose at the Pokémon League! If you do, I'll feel even worse about having lost to you!"

It would have made more sense if his goal had been to defeat Team Rocket instead, that could have been a nice hint towards Giovanni being his father (though maybe that wasn’t planned that in G/S/C, it wasn’t mentioned until FR/LG after all).
That... is his goal, no?

"I hate the weak. Pokémon, trainers. It doesn't matter who or what. I'm going to be strong and wipe out the weak. That goes for Team Rocket too. They act big and tough in a group. But get them alone, and they're weak. I hate them all."

His dialogue later on in the Underground Tunnel all-but confirms he was planning to deal with Team Rocket - it's just that the player beating him, and Lance's reprimand, cause him to lose focus and dwell on that instead.

The Kimono girls have a considerably smaller role here than in HG/SS, but you can battle them earlier in the game, which I prefer. I have mixed thoughts on them on the whole. I wish they had a bigger role in the game and that you could have met them outside of the theater… but at the same time, I don’t think HG/SS did this particularly well. I think they were better handled in G/S/C, yet I still wish they had played a larger part in the story, but in a better way than in HG/SS.
Disagree again! That's actually one of the few things HGSS did massively better than GSC - in the latter, the Kimono Girls are just one-time characters with no more significance than any other random NPC. It was so much more memorable to fight them as a pseudo-boss battle in HGSS, and I found the suggestion that all the major NPCs in Johto - Elm, Mr Pokemon, the Kimono Girls, Kurt, the Dragon Den Elder, and god knows who else - are working behind the scenes together to improve the region to be such a cool idea. They're like the Johto Illuminati or something.

Equally, I felt that meeting the five sisters separately throughout the region added so much to the general vibe of the story. There's a fun aspect at first with the suggestion that they're identical ("What? You remember me from Violet City? You must be imagining...") and I love the inference that the one you meet in the Dance Theatre and defend from a Team Rocket grunt was entirely capable of wiping the floor with him herself but deliberately held back to give you the chance to demonstrate your skill. I mean, I wish the test had been a little more challenging than a single Koffing, but it's a cool moment all the same. Their retroactive insertion into the story (one of them was concealed in the Dragon's Den while you took the quiz, one of them watched as you defeated Archer at the Radio Tower) is a really poignant idea and a lovely little reminder of how far you've come on your journey.

It's funny because as I alluded to in the post about Silver I linked to, I find HGSS's script to be extremely underwhelming and shockingly badly-written in places, but the whole arc of finding a pure-hearted trainer to summon Ho-oh/Lugia back to Johto and bring peace to the region is... really charming and a refreshingly restrained break from all the end-of-the-world legendary plots, which were starting to feel stale after four different iterations by that point. No wonder BW took a different tack too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)