GSC In-Game Tier List Mark V

Sorry for the double post, but I have test results! As I earlier mentioned, I began testing Totodile.

:totodiLUL:

Falkner: A/S
Level: 10 (11 after beating Pidgey)
Log: Spammed Rage x3 until Pidgey fell and x2 for Pidgeotto. No items necessary, ez ez.

Bugsy: A/S
Level: 16 (17 after beating Metapod)
Log: Rage spam once again. Metapod actually Tackles you pretty often (and Kakuna went for one Poison Sting at least on two runs) so building up Rage is pretty easy. Scyther caved to Rage x2, failing to do more than bring Totodile to the yellow with Quick Attack x2 or Fury Cutter x2. No items.

Rival 2: D (without Fury Cutter), C/D (with Fury Cutter)
Level: 18
Log: Pretty bad fight tbh, but winnable...only if you have Fury Cutter. Water Gun 2HKOes Gastly but Gastly and I speed-tied. Bayleef often tries to start with Poison Powder or Reflect and did so on two runs; however, Bayleef also OHKOed on me two runs with one critical Razor Leaf. I did beat Bayleef on one try by setting up Fury Cutter for three hits, thanks to them trying to start with Reflect, missing one Razor Leaf, and landing a non-crit one eventually; Zubat falls easily to 2-3 Water Guns. Healing support (Parlyz Heal) was necessary on 3rd try thanks to Lick.

Whitney: D (without Fury Cutter), B/C (with Fury Cutter)
Level: 20.
Log: Surprisingly brutal fight tbh, and Rage spam failed me on three different tries; the damage accumulated from Clefairy, coupled with Miltank Rollout/Stomp, killed me each time. Things went better with Fury Cutter, but not by much - the first try went smoothly, but the second try Miltank flinched me and killed me with two Stomps after Clefairy already brought me to yellow. The third try, Clefairy killed me with Metronome -> Dragon Rage when I had less than 40 HP remaining and was setting up Fury Cutter. Fourth try (yes, a fourth), I won again with Fury Cutter spam; crazily enough, Croconaw amazingly kept going through a Metronome -> Thunder Wave AND a Stomp without paraflinch and critted Miltank with FC.

Rival 3: B
Level: 23 (24 after beating Magnemite).
Log: Haunter outpaced and Cursed Croconaw each time only to die to Surf; Magnemite got OHKOed, and Bayleef...is interesting. If Bayleef uses stuff like Poison Powder - which he also missed twice on my second try - Ice Punch can 3HKO reliably for the win as you can take a non-crit Razor Leaf (a crit kills you, however; and you want to switch to a teammate ASAP so you can dispel Curse and heal Croconaw). I lost on my first try due to Poison Powder, Curse, and Razor Leaf damage all accumulating though. Zubat dies to Ice Punch easily enough. Not bad, but needs some team/item support.

Morty: D (without Dig), B/C (with Dig)
Level: 25.
Log: Failed in all three non-Dig tries; Curse, combined with the superior speed of the non-Gastly Ghosts (Gastly had a speed tie, my Croconaw has a bad Speed IV) and Shadow Ball/Mean Look/Hypnosis shenanigans killed me each time. Things improved after I taught Dig and equipped a Mint Berry for sleep. Surf 3HKOes Gengar, OHKOes Gastly, and 2HKOes both Haunters (and OHKO after Curse on 1st Haunter). Dig one-shots the first two Ghosts but not the final Haunter or Gengar, both of whom are 2HKOed (Gengar actually was 3HKOed at one point IIRC). Overall, winnable, but you need to cast aside a good TM move to improve your odds sufficiently. SE Bite is weaker than Surf and SE Dig btw.

Current verdict: Was really impressed by Totodile earlier in the game, but from the Rival onwards takes a serious hit. Their lack of speed, bulk, and power really start to show from Whitney onwards, causing them to be status bait and take damage more often while failing to KO fully evolved Mons or Mons with comparable bulk even with SE moves. Fortunately, I am only 5 levels away from Feraligatr and hope to reach it by Chuck!
Totodile is already in A and isn't moving. It was among one of the very first placed mons in this list. You can continue to test of course.

Totodile is already in A and isn't moving. It was among one of the very first placed mons in this list. You can continue to test of course.
No worries, m8. I wasn't expecting the rating to change, though I am surprised by how underwhelming Totodile has been. Their lack of power (and speed) at times has been a real problem, and while they are usually pretty good, they lack the sheer power to solo entire teams w/o item support; also, they really want Dig (a high demand TM) in order to lay the smackdown on some notable opponents like Morty and Jasmine. My playthrough actually reflects Totodile as more of a B-Tier, weird as it sounds. Not planning to challenge the nomination, just something I wonder about. Ice Punch practically never kills anything and 4MSS is a problem in the Elite Four; there are times I wondered if Rain Dance would not be preferable to Earthquake/Return.

Also, I'm done with Totodile and I plan to test Chinchou, Blue Gyara (Good Rod), and Geodude next.

Pryce: S
Level: 33
Log: Strength almost OHKOs Seel. Gatr Outspeeds and can outspeed even after one Icy Wind speed drop. Dewgong outpaces you after Icy Wind speed drop but is 3HKOed by Strength (more like 5HKOed if you count Rest). Headbutt spam flinch can be annoying but relatively unlikely and does little damage and is a non-issue anyway once you weaken Gong enough for them to use Rest. Piloswine is reliably OHKOed and outpaced by Surf even after Icy Wind. Very easy fight, S IMO; I needed no item support or special moves to defeat Pryce.

Rival 4: A
Level: 35 (36 after beating Meganium).
Log: Gatr outspeeds Golbat and Ice Punch/Pink Bow Strength/Surf 2HKO Golbat (non-Pink Bow may 3HKO). Confuse Ray can be annoying but I usually powered through it sans items. Dig/Surf GG for Magnemite. Ice Punch 2HKOs Meganium reliably, whereas Razor Leaf only 3HKOs outside of crits. They also may waste time using Poisonpowder or Reflect, making Meganium pretty easy to kill. Dig/Surf OHKOs Haunter, and non-Pink Bow Strength, Pink Bow Strength, and Surf all reliably 2HKO Sneasel. You outpace everyone but Sneasel. A-tier, B at worst. Have a Bitter Berry and you're good (and heal ASAP after defeating Meganium if you get critted and poisoned).

Clair: B
Level: 40 (41 after beating D-Air 3)
Log: Had to wear a Przcureberry here and use a couple or so Hyper Potions usually, but I won. Ice Punch outspeeds and 2HKOs Dragonair, but Thunder Waves from Dragonair 1 can be annoying. Dragonair 2 3HKOes with Thunderbolt. Had to cure paralysis and heal HP to beat D-Air 3. Dragonbreath paralysis from all three can be annoying too. Kingdra Hyper Beam, meanwhile, doesn't even 2HKO while Return 3HKOes (5HKOes with Hyper Potion) reliably. You can win, but you need healing to win. Keep your health up or a crit Hyper Beam can kill you still. With it, you win easily though.

Rival 5: A
Level: L41 (L42 after Sneasel, L43 after Haunter)
Log: Pretty easy fight/ Sneasel gets nearly OHKOed by Return, Pink Bow or no; in return, even Screech + Quick Attack does pathetic damage (not even 4HKO). Magneton is outpaced and OHKOed by Dig; Meganium is 2HKOed by Ice Punch, who only 3HKOs at best sans crits and likes to waste time with Poisonpowder as usual. Ditto for Golbat, but confusion can be annoying. Haunter is outpaced and OHKOed by Dig; Kaddara outpaced OHKOed by Pink Bow Return. A tier, possibly S. Maaybeee you need some healing because of Golbat Confusion, and that's it.

Will: B
Level: L43 (L44 after beating Jynx)
Log: Ice Punch and Return outpace Xatu 1 and solidly 2HKO both Xatu. In return, Psychic only 4HKOes; Xatu 2 does speed tie however. Confuse Ray can be annoying but was rarely seen compared to Psychic. Ditto for Exeggutor (Ice Punch only) but Psychic 3HKOes in return. Return OHKOes and speed ties Jynx unless Reflect is up. Lovely Kiss is annoying. Psychic 3HKOes you back. Return 3HKOes Slowbro easily (even through a 2nd turn Curse). They may not even attack or use Curse until too late. Psychic 3-4HKOes. Slowbro is a surprising pushover with ready bad AI spams Amnesia at times. Not bad at all IMO, but Feraligatr likely isn't getting through without lucky critical hits and/or Full Restores, especially after getting to Slowbro. B. Reflect can also create real problems if up, giving the enemies time to set up or status you.

Koga: A
Level: L44 (L45 after Forretress)
Log: Outspeed and easily 2HKO Scrub Ariados with Return. Just Double Team mildly annoying. Giga Drain 4HKOes at best, noncrits. Ditto with Venomoth, but Supersoni/Toxic, Supersonic is admittedly more annoying. Psychic does really low damage back, 4HKO at best. Surf 2HKOes against Forretress easily and I never saw SelfDestruct/Explosion use. In return, Swift does pitiful damage, not even 4HKO likely. Earthquake 2HKOes Muk. Surf also 3HKOes it I'm eyeballing right, which is surprisingly impressive but not good enough. Crobat outpaces you but is 2HKOed by Ice Punch. Annoying. Double Team or Toxic shenanigans can stink though; their Wing Attack, in direct contrast, doesn't even 4HKO. Overall A. Feraligatr does really well and can solo without much item support (maybe just one for that annoying Venomoth and/or Crobat). Everyone else is outsped.

Special Note: Rain Dance + Surf can replace EQ or you can use a Full Restore if you lack EQ for Muk.

Bruno: B
Level: L45 (46 after Chan)
Log: You outspeed everyone and nearly everyone is a joke (nearly). Return reliably 2HKOes Hitmontop and Chan, and Top uses Dig often, making him very easy EQ bait. Hitmonchan ThunderPunch doesn't even 4HKO you, in return, and Return literally OHKOes Hitmonlee. The problem is Machamp; Surf/Return only 3HKOes Machamp, whereas even a non-crit Cross Chop 2-3HKOes in return (and Bruno likely heals with Max Potion).
Lol Onix. I ultimately have to go with B-tier. You steamroll practically everyone, but that Machamp is kinda bad news if he hits. Maybe if you have Rain Dance to replace EQ, you could power through Machamp provided you set it up against one of the three Hitmons he sends at you at first.

Karen: B
Level: 46 (47 after Plume)
Log: Pink Bow Return reliably 3HKOes Umbreon! Sand Attack and Confuse Ray can be annoying, ofc, but Faint Attack doesn't even 4HKO in return.
Ice Punch 2HKOes Vilepume, but Petal Dance 2HKOes back and Stun Spore can definitely be annoying. Gengar outspeeds you and Curses or Licks you but gets OHKOed by Earthquake with or without Curse damagee. Ice Punch outspeeds and OHKOes Murkrow. EQ reliably OHKOes Houndoom (interestingly, Surf does not). But in return, Crunch 3HKOes in return and Houndy outspeeds you. Healing and/or switching support is VERY LIKELY needed once and Gatr has a real level advantage building up that I cannot discount, but mostly smooth sailing for you, hence a B in my book.

Lance: B
Level: L47 (L48 after Gyarados and L49 after D-Nite 3)
Log: Pink Bow Return 2HKOes Gyarados and you outspeed; in return, Flail does peanuts even once Gyarados is in the yellow, and Hyper Beam only 3HKOes (lol Surf). Ice Punch reliably 2HKOes and outpaced all D-Nites, and Hyper Beam from weaker D-Nites only 3HKO barring crits; not sure about the L50 D-Nite, but best not to push it. In return, Thunder 2HKOes, and Dragonbreath only 4-3HKOes but can be annoying with paralysis, as can Thunder Wave. Outrage from D-Nite 3 fails to 2HKO, thankfully. Aerodactyl outpaces you but Hyper Beam only 3HKOes and Ancient Power does even less while Surf OHKOes. Surf 1-2HKOes Charizard who speed ties (!!!) but can't even 4HKO you with non-crit Slash. You definitely need to spam about 2 Full Restores because of the 3 D-Nites, possibly a few more or one less depending on your luck.

Solid overall, but the level advantage makes things look better than they would be for average players. B Tier it is.

Grading Point Legend

S
= 5 grade points
A = 4 grade points
B = 3 grade points
C = 2 grade points
D = 1 grade point
E = 0.5 grade points
F = 0 grade points

Rating Tally:

S (5): Falkner, Bugsy, Pryce
A (4): Jasmine, Rival 4, Rival 5, Koga
B (3): Whitney, Rival 3, Morty, Chuck, Clair, Will, Bruno, Karen, Lance
C (2): N/A
D (1): Rival 2

Number of Fights Participated: 17

Rating score for Feraligatr: ((15 + 16 + 27 + 1) / 17) = 3.278 (B+)

Last edited:
I did a run with Togepi, Slowpoke (Slowking), Machoke, Bellossom and Miltank. Here are the logs :

My Togepi evolved at level 20, just before the Whitney's fight.
Bugsy (16) : Just wins against the cocoons with Swift and that's assuming Kakuna doesn't poison with its first Poison Sting.

Rival (16) : Just beats Zubat as it can't hit Gastly and Croconaw will overwhelm it.

Whitney (20) : Swift 5HKOes Clefairy but Miltank easily wins.

Rival (22) : Just beats Zubat.

Morty (25) : Nop

Chuck (30) : Return 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Poliwrath 3HKOes with DynamicPunch but it outspeeds and etween Mind Reader, Hypnosis and confusion, Togetic will rarely win against it.

Jasmine (30) : Fire Blast OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes Steelix. Assuming it hits 4 times, it's a win as Togetic as it outspeeds everything and Togetic can take an Iron Tail.

Pryce (31) : 2HKOes Seel with Return. Dewgong wil outspeed after Icy Wind from Seel and 3HKOes with Aurora Beam while only getting 3HKOed.

Rival (34) : Golbat is 3HKOed by Return but between Confuse Ray and Bite, it's a bit luck reliant. Sneasel and Mangemite (which is outsped) are OHKOed by Fire Blast. Ferraligatr is too bulky to get through.

Clair (38) : Return 2HKOes Dragonair. The problem is that they all outspeed and Ice Beam/Thunderbolt 2HKOes so Togetic will only beat Dragonair #1.

Rival (40) : OHKOes Sneasel and Magneton with Fire Blast tho the latter outspeeds. Kadabra is OHKOed by PB Return. Return + Double-Edge 2HKOes Golbat. Togetic won't get more than 3 koes beteen Thundershock and Double-Edge recoil. Ferraligatr does too much with Slash and is barely damaged by Return.

Will (40) : Double-Edge 2HKOes Xatu and Fire Blast 2HKOes Exeggutor. Between Confuse Ray, multiple hits and Double-Edge recoil, Togetic won't achieve 2 ko atthe very best with a Mint Berry.

Koga (40) : Fire Blast OHKOes Foretress and Ariados and 2HKOes Venomoth. Can't beat the rest.

Bruno (40) : Return 3HKOes Hitmontop. Fly 2HKOes Lee and Chan but Swagger can ruin the strategy. Togetic will only most likely beat Chan and Top, being able to take 4 Quick Attack and 2 ThunderPunch.

Karen (41) : Fire Blast 2HKOes Vileplume and PB Return 2HKOes Murkrow.

Bugsy (14) : After 6 Curse, Slowpoke OHKOes cocoons wth Swift and 2HKOes Scyther while taking Fury Cutter confortably. Clean win.

Rival (15) : 3HKOes Gastly and 2HKOes Zubat with Water Gun. Avoid Croconaw due to Bite hitting hard.

Whitney (20) : After 5 Curse, Slowpoke OHKOes Clefairy and 2HKOes Miltank.

Rival (22) : Wins against Haunter and Zubat.

Morty (25) : Confusion 2HKOes Gastly and Haunter and 3HKOes Gengar. The latter is hard to win against because it 2HKOes with Shadow Ball and Haunter #1 can put asleep and Slowpoke will quickly lose health to Curse from Gastly. So realistically, Slowpoke can beat Gastly/Haunter #1 and Haunter #2.

Chuck (30) : Confusion 2HKOes Primeape and Poliwrath and Slowking has the bulk to take several hits. Clean win.

Jasmine (31) : Slowking outspeeds and OHKOes everything with MW Surf.

Pryce (31) : Rain MW Surf 2HKOes Seel, 3HKOes Dewgong and OHKOes Piloswine. Another win for Slowking.

Rival (33) : Slowking 2HKOes Golbat with Ice Punch while Surf 2HKOes Sneasel and Haunter and OHKOes Magnemite. It depends of the luck against Golbat but assuming no confusion, Slowking koes Golbat, Magnemite, Sneasel and Haunter.

Clair (38) : NVI Ice Punch OHKOes Dragonair. Assuming no para, Slowking beat the 3 Dragonair. Kingdra is too annoying to get though due to Smokescreen, Hyper Beam and Slowking not hitting it too hard.

Rival (40) : Surf 2HKOes Sneasel, Golbat and OHKOes Magneton and Kadabra. Slowking should reliably beat these 4. Haunter does ~40% with Shadow Ball and is OHKOed by Surf. Ferraligatr is too hard to get through.

Will (40) : Ice Punch 2HKOes Xatu and Exeggutor while Surf 2HKOes Jynx. Slowking with a Mint Berry should achieve 3 kos as it sadly can't take multiple hits.

Koga (41) : Slowking actually outspeeds Ariados and Foretress, that are 2HKOed by Surf. Venomoth and Crobat are 2HKOed by Confusion. Muk is 3HKOed by Confusion. Wing Attack only 5HKOes and Sludge Bomb 3HKOes. Slowking is great here and should claim 4 kos and it's possible to pull a win although it's luck reliant.

Bruno (41) : Confusion 2HKOes every fighting-type and Surf OHKOes Onix. Slowking can't take too many hits but can beat Machamp + Onix or the 3 Hitmon.

Karen (41) : Surf OHKOes Gengar after Curse. Takes a Crunch from Houndoom and OHKO back with MW Surf.

Lance (42) : Just beat a non-Thunder Dragonite as Hyper Beam 2HKOes while Slowking OHKOes with NVI Ice Punch (except for the lvl 50 that uses HyperBeam anyway). Alternatively, it beats Charizard+Aerodactyl, taking 2 Hyper Beam while OHKOing either with MW Surf.

Whitney (20) : Outspeed and OHKOes Clefairy with Karate Chop. Miltank always goes for Rollout and gets 3HKOed by Karate Chop.

Rival (23) : OHKOes Haunter after it uses Curse with Dig. OHKOes Magnemite with Karate Chop. Zubat is 2HKOed by Headbutt. Machop should beat these 3.

Morty (25) : Dig OHKOes Gastly and Haunter #1 while Haunter 2 is 2HKOed and as is Gengar. Machop should beat either Gastly or Haunter #1 + Haunter #2.

Chuck (30) : Karate Chop 3HKOes Primeape and 5HKOes Poliwrath. Both outspeed and Poliwrath 2HKOes with Dynamic Punch so Machoke will only win vs Primeape.

Jasmine (30) : Karate Chop OHKOes Magnemite and does nothing to Steelix which 2HKOes with Iron Tail.

Pryce (31) : Karate Chop 2HKOes everything. The problem is that Icy Wind, 2 Aurora Beam from Dewgong and Blizzard from Piloswine koes Machoke and after Icy wind speed drop, Piloswine outspeeds. So, it's not going to be a reliable win and Machoke only wins if it crits (Karate Chop helps in that regard) and the AI uses bad moves.

Rival (33) : Beats Haunter with Dig and Magnemite/Sneasel with Karate Chop.

Clair (38) : Vital Throw 2HKOes Dragonair and they 4HKO with special moves. At most, Machoke will take down 2 of them. Kingdra is 3HKOed by Vital Throw but it 2HKOes with Surf and Machoke only wins 1v1 if it goes for Smokescreen.

Rival (40) : Beats Sneasel, Magneton, Kadabra and Haunter (if it has Dig). Ferraligatr is beatable 1v1 as Vital Throw 3HKOes while Slash only 4HKOes but that's assuming it doesn't crit.

Will (40) : Nop.

Koga (40) : Earthquake 2HKOes Ariados and Muk. Can't beat anything else as Venomoth has Psychic.

Bruno (40) : Not really good. Earthquake + Vital Throw 2HKOes Hitmontop. Vital Throw 2HKOes Lee, Chan and Onix. Machoke can't beat Chan + Lee as 2 Dig + Double Kick + High Jump Kick koes but it can take 2 Dig and 2 Mach Punch, meaning it wins against Top+Chan (or one of these mon + Onix).

Karen (40) : BB Vital Throw 2HKOes Umbreon and OHKOes Houndoom while Earthquake OHKOes Houndoom. Faint Attack from Umbreon + Flamethrower from Houndoom doesn't kill so Machoke can possibly take them down both as well as Gengar. Alternatively, if Umbreon does too much damages, it's possible to take it down as well as Gengar and Murkrow (which is 2HKOed by Vital Throw).

Whitney (20) : Absorb 6HKOes Clefairy. Miltank is impossible to get through.

Rival (23) : Absorb 4HKOes Croconaw.

Morty (25) : Nop.

Chuck (30) : Tried this both as a Gloom and as Bellossom :

- Gloom : PB Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath (Absorb may be used to gain health), which only 4HKOes wih Dynamic Punch. Gloom should win and Sleep Powder improves the matchup.

- Bellossom : PB Return 2HKOes Primeape and Absorb 5HKOes Poliwrath. However, Poliwrath outspeeds and 2HKOes with Dynamic Punch.

Jasmine (30) : Nop. Can possibly muscle through Magnemite but para make it hard. Steelix 2HKOes with Iron Tail and doesn't take much from Absorb.

Pryce (31) : Again tried this as Gloom and Bellossom as Sludge Bomb STAB seem important.

Gloom : It 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong with Sludge Bomb while Absorb 4HKOes Piloswine. Icy Wind Speed drop means Piloswine will outspeed. Aurora Beam 3HKOes and Blizzard 2HKOes. Sleep Powder can help but realistically Gloom should only beat Seel and Dewgong, assuming it gets lucky with Sleep Powder.

Bellossom : Return 2HKOes Seel and 4HKOes the rest. Bellossom can't take Icy Wind and 3 Aurora Beam from Dewgong and will thus rely on Sleep Powder. Blizzard from Piloswine also 2HKOes.

Rival (33) : Absorb 5HKOes Ferraligatr and Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Sneasel.

Clair (38) : Tried this again as a Gloom to have Sludge Bomb. It 2HKOes Dragonair which only 5HKOes with Dragon Breath so Gloom can take down the Thunderbolt and Surf one. Kingdra is 3HKOed by PB Sludge Bomb but with Smokescreen, Dragon Breath 3HKOing and Hyper Beam 2HKOing, it's not the best matchup.

Bellossom : Same as Gloom really, with PB Return being a range for the 2HKO on Dragonair.

Rival (40) : Beats Sneasel, Kadabra and Ferraligatr.

Will (40) : Used Bellossom. PB Return 2HKOes Xatus. Exeggutor is outsped and 2HKOed by Sludge Bomb. Bellossom can only take 3/4 Psychic so it it will take down at most 2 Pokemon.

Koga (40) : Just beats Ariados and Venomoth, 2HKOing with PB Return.

Bruno (40) : Return 3HKOes Top and Chan and 2HKOes Lee. Absorb OHKOes Onix. Bellossom will only beat Top+Chan+Onix as it can't take too many hits and everything outspeeds while Lee does too much damages. It's the same matchup as Gloom but due to its lower stats, it will only beat Top and Chan and will fall to Onix.

Karen (41) : As a Gloom, it can take down Murkrow, 2HKOing with Sludge Bomb, Vileplume 3HKOing with Sludge Bomb. It's less reliable as Bellossom because Vileplume is more prone to use Acid and Moonlight.

Rival (22) : Miltank defeats Zubat, Croconaw and Haunter. Miltank can't really setup Curlout because Magnemite disrupts it with SuperSonic.

Morty (25) : Curlout wins. MIltank outspeeds everything, Gastly is OHKOed y the first Rollout, Haunter 2 is 2HKOed and the rest is OHKOed. Clean win if Miltank hits.

Chuck (30) : PB Return OHKOes Primeape and is a range to 2HKO Poliwrath. Miltank can take a DynamicPunch if needed and even set up a Defense Curl on Primeape if needed so it's slightly favoured.

Jasmine (30) : Can't beat Magnemite but 3HKOes Steelix with Surf while being able to take 2 Iron Tail.

Pryce (31) : PB Return OHKOes Seel and 2HKOes the rest. Miltank has the bulk to take hits so it's an easy win.

Rival (33) : Return 2HKOes Golbat and Fire Punch 2HKOes Magnemite. It's possible to set up Curlout on Hanter and win from here. Confuse Ray can get annoying as well as Magnemite paralysing but in te worst case, if it hold PRZCureBerry, Miltank defeats 4 mons.

Clair (38) : 2HKOes Dragonair with Return while taking their hits handily so it beats the 3 of them, with or without a PRZCureBerry. Otherwise, it wins 1v1 vs Kingdra as it 3HKOes with Return while only getting 3HKOed by Surf itself. Assuming a PRZCureBerry and Dragonair using Thunder Wave, it koes one Dragonair and Kingdra. Good matchup.

Rival (40) : Curlout wins here. It takes 2 Rollout for Sneasel and the 3 following will ko Golbat, Magneton and Haunter. Then , Miltank can either set up another Rollout on Kadabra or OHKO with Return and 3HKO Ferraligatr with it. Easy win or Miltank.

Will (40) : I equiped a MintBerry. Return 2HKOes Xatus and Exeggutor while Slowbro is 3HKOed and Jynx is OHKOed. As Miltank outspeeds everything, it should beat 3 mons of the time as it can take 2 Psychic and can claim up to 4 kos. Pretty good.

Koga (41) : PB Return 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth, 3HKOes Muk and is a range on Crobat. Foretress is OHKOed by Fire Punch. Except for Toxic and Explosion from Foretress, nothing really threatens Miltank thus it should contribute a lot. Great matchup as while it's not a reliable win, even in the worst case Miltank will have achieved 3-4 kos.

Bruno (41) : Return 2HKOes Chan and Top (use Defense Curl on Dig) and OHKOes Lee. Avoid Machamp and Onix. Alright matchup as Miltank beats 3 mons despite the type disadvantage.

Karen (41) : Return 3HKOes Umbreon and 2HKOes the rest, except Gengar that gets 2HKOed by Earthquake. Pretty good matchup as Miltank outspeeds everything and with a PRZCureBerry, it can beat Vileplume+Murkrow+Houndoom (and Gengar according to the order it is sent).

Lance (42) : Curlout 2HKOes Gyarados, OHKOes Dragonite #1 and #2 and Aerodactyl (which doesn't do much back). Then Charizard is sent and Rollout only 2HKOes. Still, it's a great matchup as Miltank achieves 4 kos and do half to Charizard.

Togepi

Honestly, this should go to E-tier. Hatching the Egg is annoying and it will take for Togepi time to catch up to the rest of the team, especially when it doesn't learn any reliable attacking move by level up. Thus, it's really TM reliant, included the contested Return TM. Even with several TMs, it doesn't even perform well in battles and its only win was against Jasmine and that's assuming the costly Fire Blast TM and that it hits. In other battles, Togetic won't take down more than the weakest foes and will not contribute all that much. Really, between hatching the egg, TM reliance and poor performance, Togepi is E-tier worthy

Slowking

This on the other hand was pretty good and I want to say C-tier on it. Slowpoke is actually good and wins against Bugsy and Whitney and does alright against Morty. It's great as a Slowking and wins against gym 5-7. It's a bit less good afterwards due to its speed but will still help and has mostly favorable matchup. Overall, Slowking was a great Pokemon just held back by its slow Speed that make it harder to train, prone to hax and not as good as it could have been because it's easily whittled down. So, C-tier seems fine for it and if it wasn't for its speed, I'd say B-tier.

By the way, I will still need to try it but Slowbro feels like D-tier because you either only use Slowbro from Clair onward or miss a great Bugsy and Whitney's battles and require a backtrack.

Machoke

C-tier
looks good on it. Machoke was great for sweeping Whitney and for Karen but pretty bad outside of them. It doesn't get a strong STAB and is just too slow to get many kos. Most of the time it can take down the weakest foe but won't achieve more than that and can't actually win reliably against Pryce for instance. Boosted exp was great tho. I'll try Machamp later but they seem similar and I don't expect much differences except for mabe a better Pryce and Bruno battle.

Bellossom

I really think it should be E-tier as I don't find any reason to use it. It's way better not to evolve it as Gloom's poison typing help to get STAB on Sludge Bomb and a resistance to fight type. I don't recall a single positive matchup for Bellossom and it never pulled a win. Moreover, it's always hard to train a grass type an Sun Stone is always annoying to get.

As for Gloom itself, I'd say it should barely be D-tier. It's obviously not good but wins against Chuck and can get a few kos when needed. It's only better than Bellossom and while it's worse than Vileplume, not requiring an evolutionnary stone make me feel they are fine in the same tier.

Miltank

I'm a bit hesitant between A- and B-tier but want to say A-tier on it. Miltank was always great and won against Morty, sometimes Chuck and Pryce while being potent elsewhere (beating a Dragonair + Kingdra against Clair for instance). It was really good for the E4 as it could claim 3-4 kos in every battle without too much troubles. Lance fight was especially impressive as it takes down 4 mons while doing half to Charizard afterwards. Really, Miltank was great throughout the game and despite its flaws (slow growth rate and Rollout accuracy), A-tier seems adequate due to its solid performance, especially at the league.

Next run is going to be Pinsir, Drowzee, Sunkern, Machamp.

Bellossom

I really think it should be E-tier as I don't find any reason to use it. It's way better not to evolve it as Gloom's poison typing help to get STAB on Sludge Bomb and a resistance to fight type. I don't recall a single positive matchup for Bellossom and it never pulled a win. Moreover, it's always hard to train a grass type an Sun Stone is always annoying to get.

As for Gloom itself, I'd say it should barely be D-tier. It's obviously not good but wins against Chuck and can get a few kos when needed. It's only better than Bellossom and while it's worse than Vileplume, not requiring an evolutionnary stone make me feel they are fine in the same tier.
Yeah, the Oddish line really wants Moonlight and Sleep Powder for the lategame if it wants to contribute at all. I evolved Gloom after getting Moonlight, which let Bellossom sleep the foe and heal if it needed so, and there were battles where the improved durability made a positive difference (Clair, Will, Bruno). Bellossom definitely feels worse if evolved immediately, and an immediately evolved Bellossom should probably be E. I would say that perhaps Bellossom and Gloom should be merged into a single "Oddish (GS)" rating, with a suggestion on how to use it best. Vileplume in Crystal would probably also want Moonlight, too, so perhaps merging Oddish in one single entry would be fitting

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
from my experience with Vileplume and Bellossom, it'd probably make sense to merge them in one tier. I haven't used Gloom (and I am not really planning on doing so), but it doesn't look too different from Vileplume, so it'd probs make sense to throw it in the merge as well

I am not sure how I feel about the recent support for Miltank in A-tier, given how much investment goes in getting on par with your team; in particular, you must first find it, then you have to catch (in the gen where half the catch modifiers don't actually work), then dealing with a level 13 Slow Pokemon until it reaches higher levels. At the very least, if Miltank rises to A-tier, Tauros, Girafaraig, Rattata, and Sentret all would deserve to rise to A-tier as well, as most of them are pretty much better than Miltank (Tauros can OHKO Clair's Dragonair and 2HKO Karen's Umbreon, Girafarig performs similarly to Miltank, but is less annoying to find and raise, Rattata and Sentret come much earlier and thus contribute much more). I'd be fine with Girafarig staying in B as well if if means Miltank stays in B-tier

anyways, I decided, for fun, to try out a bunch of "variations" of Pokemon I used. In particular, I've used GS Rhydon, Crystal Venomoth, and Crystal Dodrio in the past, so I decided to invert them now to see if we should have a split for each. To highlight the differences between each:

- GS Rhydon can be obtained in an in-game trade in Blackthorn. This means it's easier to raise and comes earlier, but you have to raise a female Dragonair. Crystal Rhydon comes at the Victory Road with a 5% encounter rate and level 35 (and you have likely beaten every trainer that is there)

- Crystal Dodrio is the same as the above, but Doduo comes on Route 27. If caught at level 28 (for as much happiness as possible), its levels after beating every foe where possible are comparable to Rhydon's (35-36).

- in Crystal, you can catch Venomoth on Route 43 directly, thereby skipping the weak Venonat period and also providing it with a better Morty matchup. Venomoth cannot be caught directly in GS, so you have to catch a Venonat during the Bug-catching contest between level 10-16.

anyways, here are my thoughts. Note that, for fairness sake, I have used Rhydon and Dodro underleveled; the idea is to see if they require more candies than other Pokemon or they are fine with two only (which is a normal amount if you want to spread candies evenly across your team):

Venonat
I don't have logs for it, as I stopped using it after reaching Chuck, since the performance from there is the same as the normal one. Venonat, surprisingly, wasn't a total deadweight and could hold itself on the field. With Pink Bow, its Tackle managed to actually 3HKO things. With that said, Venonat does absolutely nothing to major opponents until evolution, other than taking out Morty's Gastly (it hilariously struggles against Whitney's Clefairy), was still a chore to keep it up in terms of levels since I had to heal it often, and Venomoth itself doesn't have tons of good matchups other than Chuck and taking out some opponents with super effective moves, so I wouldn't necessarily mind throwing GS Venonat in E-tier due to the fact Venonat requires a lot of investment for very little payoff.

Doduo
Dodrio

Silver(36/37): PB Return OHKOes Kadabra and Sneasel and 2HKOes Meganium and Golbat. Haunter is OHKOed by Fly.

Will(38): 2HKOes Xatu and OHKOes Jynx with PB Return. Drill Peck 2HKOes Eggy. However, you are 2HKOed by everything, so luck is required through favorable confusion rolls

Koga(39): OHKOes Moth and Ariados with Drill Peck. PB Return seems to 2HKO Muk and Crobat, though neither is a reliable victory. Avoid Forry due to Explosion

Bruno(39/40): beats the Hitmons. Machamp generally KOs you with Rock Slide, but you put it in red with Drill Peck (you also have a low chance of living a Rock Slide after Top's QA)

Karen(40/41): beats Murkrow, Gengar, and Vileplume

the tl;dr is that GS Doduo performs comparably to Crystal Dodrio. They have roughly the same contributions to the E4 despite the GS one being a few levels under. This Doduo assumes that you catch it in a Friend Ball. While it will require basically all trainers to catch up (somewhat) in levels, it does not require raising a female Dragonair. I would say merge them in one tier, be it E or D (I wouldn't mind either because of the investment for both)

Rhydon
Rhydon

Silver(35): beats Sneasel, Kadabra, Magneton, and Haunter. Golbat can be annoying due to Bite and Kadabra's Future Sight

Will(38): nope, 2HKOed by everything

Koga(38): EQ 2HKOes Muk after Acid Armor, Ariados, and Venomoth, both of which hit you hard with special moves. Forry is 3HKOed and 2HKOes with Explosion.

Bruno(38): beats Hitmontop and Lee. The rest tend to finish it off

Karen(38): beats Houndoom and Gengar. Houndoom almost OHKOes with Crunch, though

in terms of performance, the traded Rhydon is slightly better, as the higher levels mean it can outspeed things like Koga's Muk and OHKO them easily. The VR Rhydon, though, does perform similarly enough with pmuch no investment (only you have to find it through that 5% encounter rate). Honestly, both could be merged if we throw both in E-tier, this depends a lot on how much you weight raising Dragonair against the traded Rhydon.

if I find some other interesting "casus" to test, I will share more

(and no, I am not testing GS Dratini, because Crystal Dratini sucks on its own and GS Dratini is even worse in this regard).

Last edited:
Yeah I guess it would be better to merge Vileplume, Gloom and Bellossom in Oddish while indicating the specificities in the write up (i.e Vileplume is better and it's better to evolve Bellossom in late game).

As for Miltank I wouldn't mind B-tier although I feel A-tier might be preferable. It was imo better than Tauros because it wins vs Morty and does way better against Lance and performs similarly in most other battles. Winning against Morty is great and having a mon that takes down 4 mons against Lance while doing half to Charizard is incredible and very few Pokemon (mostly Kadabra and Gengar) can claim this. In my logs (but it could be my IVs) Tauros didn't 2HKO Claire's Dragonair, only Ursaring could do so, with PB Return being a range for Granbull and it was the same for Claire's Umbreon. Raticate also felt a bit worse due to worse performance against Chuck (DynamicPunch OHKOes), Pryce (due to lower bulk), Karen (can't take Flamethrower + Feint Attack) and Lance without Curlout.

I 100% agree that Furret and Miltank should be in the same tier because both are pretty similar, with Miltank coming later and being harder to train but doing better in late game.

As for Girafarig, A-tier would be good for it no matter the tiers of the other normal-types. It's more reliable against Morty due to not needing Rollout and the fighting neutrality helps for Chuck and Bruno while its performance is similar elsewhere with the exception of Jasmine (where normal-types aren't good anyway). Being easier to find and train than Miltank also make it a bit better.

I'd say Girafarig should be A-tier, Furret/Miltank in the same tier, wether it's A or B and Tauros/Raticate in B-tier as they aren't as good due to not getting Curlout.

Here are my logs (I c/ped for Machamp before lvl 28 as it's the same performance anyway)

Whitney (20) : Outspeed and 4HKO Clefairy with ThunderPunch. MIltank is too much.

Rival (22) : OHKO Haunter afree Curse. Beat Croconaw 1v1 but it can't be defeated after Curse. 2HKO Magnemite with Fire Punch and Zubat with Confusion.

Morty (26) : Tried this as a Hypno as getting to level 26 is fairly easy and Drowzee is really awful. Hypno OHKOes Gastly and Haunter and Gengar is 2HKOed but it only outspeeds Gastly. Gengar 2HKOes with Shadow Ball but somehow doesn't use it. Not really a reliable matchup but Hypno euiped with MintBerry should beat Gastly and both Haunter and sometimes Gengar as it doesn't tend to use Shadow Ball a lot.

Chuck (30) : 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath with Confusion. Poliwrath is outsped so barring major unluck, Hypno should win here.

Pryce (31) : Magnet Thunder Punch 2HKOes Seel and Dewgong. Fire Punch 2HKOes Piloswine. Hypno wins most of the time but it's not consistent and if Piloswine hits 2 Blizzard, it's really hard to win and Headbutt flinching makes things harder.

Jasmine (31) : Charcoal Fire Punch OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes Steelix. Hypno easily takes an Iron Tail so it's a solid win.

Rival (33) : 2HKOes Golbat with Confusion. Sneasel is 2HKOed by Fire Punch and Magnemite is OHKOed. Feraligatr is surprisingly outsped and 2HKOed by ThunderPunch. Avoid Haunter as Shadow Ball does a lot and it's only 2HKOed by Confusion. Solid as it wins vs 4 mons including the most powerful one.

Clair (38) : Ice Punch 2HKOes Dragonair and Hypno easily takes hits so it wins easily with a PRZCureBerry. Kingdra is impossible to get through tho.

Rival (40) : Charcoal Fire Punch 2HKOes Sneasel and Kadabra and OHKOes Magneton. Confusion 2HKOes Golbat and OHKOes Haunter. Feraligatr is 2HKOed by Thunder Punch. Hypno can win but between Confuse Ray, Shadow Ball doing 40% and multiple hits, it will be hard for Hypno to beat the whole team tho it does a lot here.

Will (40-41) : Ice Punch 2HKOes Xatu and Exeggutor (which is outsped). Jynx is a range for the 2HKO with Fire Punch while Slowbro is 3HKOed by Thunder Punch. Thanks to its bulk, Hypno can take several hits. Great matchup as Hypno should almost always beat 3 mons (Xatus+ Exeggutor), most of the time 4, with only Jynx posing a threat.

Koga (41) : Confusion 2HKOes the bugs and 3HKOes Muk (outsped) and Crobat. Fire Punch OHKOes Foretress. It's heavily luck reliant but Hypno should beat everything but Crobat most of the time.

Bruno (42-43) : Twisted Spoon Confusion 2HKOes the fighting-types (albeit it's a range on Machamp) while Onix is OHKOed by Ice Punch and only Hitmonlee outspeeds. Barring Swagger getting annoying, Hypno should win this matchup.

Karen (43) : Beats 2 of Vileplume (2HKOed by Confusion), Murkrow (2HKOed by Ice Punch) and Gengar (OHKOed by Confusion after Curse). It can't beat the 3 as Petal Dance + 2 Feint Attack + Lick koes.

Lance (43) : won't take down more than a Dragonite or Gyarados as Hyper Beam 2HKOes.

Whitney (20) : Outspeed and OHKOes Clefairy with Karate Chop. Miltank always goes for Rollout and gets 3HKOed by Karate Chop.

Rival (22) : OHKOes Haunter after it uses Curse with Dig. OHKOes Magnemite with Karate Chop. Zubat is 2HKOed by Headbutt. Machop should beat these 3.

Morty (25) : Dig OHKOes Gastly and Haunter #1 while Haunter 2 is 2HKOed and as is Gengar. Machop should beat either Gastly or Haunter #1 + Haunter #2.

Chuck (30) : Karate Chop 2HKOes Primeape and is a range for the 3HKO on Poliwrath. The problem is that DynamicPunch should 2HKO either after Leer or a hit from Primeape so it's unlikely Machamp wins here.

Pryce (30) : Karate Chop 2HKOes everything. Everything outspeeds after the speed drop from Icy Wind but Seel and Dewgong both go for Rest. Piloswine doesn't even 2HKO with Blizzard after Icy Wind + Aurora Beam.

Jasmine (31) : Karate Chop OHKOes Magnemite. Steelix 2/3HKOes with Iron Tail and is only 4/5HKOed and has an Hyper Potion so Machamp can't beat it.

Rival (33) : Beats Magnemite, Sneasel with Karate Chop and Haunter with Dig. Feraligatr is only 4HKOed but can't do much back so Machamp beats it as well as the 3 others.

Clair (38) : Beats the 3 Dragonair with a PRZCureBerry as they only like 6HKO with special moves. Alternatively, it's possible to beat Kingdra 1v1 if it goes for Smokescreen as Vital Throw 3HKOes while Surf 3HKOes.

Rival (40) : OHKOes Sneasel, Magneton with Karate Chop and Kadabra and Haunter with Earthquake. Feraligatr doesn't do much and is 2HKOed by Black Belt Vital Throw. Pretty great as Machamp beats everything but Golbat.

Will (40) : Nop.

Koga (40) : Earthquake 2HKOes Ariados, Venomoth and Muk. Foretress is possible to get through but not advicable due to Explosion as it's only 3HKOed by Vital Throw.

Bruno (41) : Earthquake OHKOes Hitmontop under ground. BB Vital Throw is a range on Lee and it 2HKOes Chan and Onix. Assuming, it gets the range on Lee, Machamp will beat the 3 Hitmon and Onix and if it doesn't get it, it will beat the 3 Hitmon. Solid matchup.

Karen (41) : Vital Throw 2HKOes Umbreon and Murkrow and OHKOes Houndoom while Earthquake OHKOes Gengar. Machamp should beat 3 of those as Curse from Gengar means it can't take down Murkrow afterwards.

Whitney (20) : Fury Cutter 3HKOes Clefairy and 2HKOes Miltank. It's possible to take 2 Stomp/Rollout but it depends what Clefairy and Fury Cutter. A sweep is possible but not reliable.

Rival (22) : Avoid Magnemite and Haunter. 3HKO Croconaw and 2HKO Zubat with Strength.

Chuck (30) : Strength 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath. Pinsir is only 3HKOed by Surf so it should win.

Pryce (31) : PB Strength OHKOes Seel. 4 Fury Cutter koes Dewgong and the fifth hit will ko Piloswine. Pinsir should win but a single miss ruin the strategy.

Jasmine (31) : Nop.

Rival (32) : PB Strength 2HKOes Golbat (outsped), Sneasel and 3HKOes Feraligatr.

Clair (38) : Strength 2HKOes each Dragonair and Pinsir can take 5 hits so it should win with a PRZCureBerry assuming no para. Alternatively, Kingdra is 3HKOed by Strength but 2HKOes back with Surf so Pinsir will only beat it if it goes for Smokescreen and hit.

Rival (40) : PB Strength OHKOes Kadabra, 2HKOes Sneasel and Golbat and 3HKOes Feraligatr. Pinsir should beat these 4.

Will : Tried this with and without SD.

Will (40) : Outspeed and 2HKO Xatu #1 with Strength. Xatu outspeeds and while it only 3HKOes with Psychic, Strength is a range for the 2HKO. Exeggutor is 3HKOed by Strength and 2HKOes with Psychic and between that Reflect and Leech Seed, it's better not to fight it. Jynx is outsped and OHKOes by PB Strength. Slowbro is really hard to get through.

Will (43) : Equiped MintBerry. Set up SD on Xatu#1. If it uses Psychic, set up another SD and if it uses Confuse Ray, OHKO it and Xatu 2. Then, Exeggutor comes and can't ko with Psychic so set up SD on it. At +4 Pinsir OHKOes everything and at +2, Xatus and Jynx are OHKOed. Easy win with SD assuming a MintBerry.

Koga without SD : PB Strength 2HKOes the bug which are outsped and 3HKOes Muk. Pinsir should beat reliably these 3.

Koga with SD : Set up 3 SD on Ariados and OHKOes everything but Foretress that is 2HKOed with Strength. Pinsir should win here as Foretress should use Spikes and Crobat doesn't even 2HKO with Wing Attack and is the only thing that outspeeds.

Bruno without SD (40) : 2HKOes the Hitmon with PB Strength while taking their hits. Loses to Onix and Machamp.

Bruno with SD : Set up 3 SD on Top. From there, PB Strength OHKOes everything.

Karen (41) : PB Strength 3HKOes Umbreon and Vileplume while Murkrow is 2HKOed. It's not possible for Pinsir to take down both Vileplume and Murkrow as it can't take 2 Petal Dance and 2 Feint Attack

Karen (43) : SD doesn't change all that much as Houndoom outspeeds. Umbreon is still 3HKOed by PB Strength and Vileplume is now 2HKOed. As Pinsir can live Petal Dance + 2 Feint Attack, it can actually beat both Vileplume + Murkrow at this level.

Lance (43) : Pinsir can really set up on only Gyarados but then Aerodactyl comes and kos it. It can't really set up as it needs 2 SD and Dragonite 2HKOes with Special move + Hyper Beam. Pinsir can still beat either Gyara or a Dragonite but won't do more.

Whitney (20) : After 3 Growth, both mons are 2HKOed and Sunflora easily takes hits (and Mega Drain helps staying healthy). Solid win as it's easy to setup on Clefairy.

Rival (22) : Avoid Haunter and Zubat. 2HKO Croconaw and 4HKO Magnemite with Mega Drain so it should beat both.

Chuck (30) : After a Growth, Mega Drain 2HKOes both mons. However, between DynamicPunch doing like 60%, Primeape actually hitting hard, confusion and Hypnosis, pulling a win is hard here.

Pryce (30) : Set up a Growth on Seel and OHKO it with Mega Drain. Then you 2HKO Dewgong and Piloswine but after Dewgong uses 2 Aurora Beam, Blizzard from Piloswine will OHKO.

Jasmine (30) : Nop, para makes a sweep impossible and Iron Tail 2HKOes.

Rival (32) : Just beats Feraligatr and Sneasel.

Clair (38) : Nop, between Smokescreen and being bulky, Kingdra is impossible to get through.

Rival (40) : Petal Dance 2HKOes Sneasel and Feraligatr. It's possible to setup 3 Growth on Kadabra to beat the rest of the team once Golbat is down a it spams Future Sight. Overwhelming Magneton is also feasible but harder due to Thunder Wave. Quite good matchup as Sunflora can claim up to 5 kills.

Will (40) : Petal Dance 2HKOes Slowbro. Exeggutor is 3HKOed by Sludge Bomb and between Reflect and Psychic 2HKOing, Sunflora won't beat it.

Koga (40) : Nop.

Bruno (40) : Set up 3 Growth on Hitmontop and 2HKO it and Chan with Mega Drain. Avoid Lee as it will then ko with High Jump Kick and OHKO Onix.

Karen (40) : Nop.

Lance (40) : Tried Gyarados but no Flail + Hyper Beam 2HKOes.

Hypno

I'll go for C-tier on this one (with a small possibility of B-tier). Drowzee is really awful before evolving and is really annoying to get to level 26. It's mostly fine as Hypno although it's nothing exceptional. It does alright against Morty, Pryce and Clair while winning against Chuck and Jasmine. Where Hypno really shines is the Elite 4, being able to defeat by itself the first 3 members. Hypno was more than fine but the main problem I had with it was consistency. Due to being slow and not hitting hard enough, it's really prone to getting haxxed. Pryce is winnable but Dewgong can flinch with Headbutt and it's a loss if Piloswine hit 2 Blizzard. Against Clair, para may make things harder much like Confuse Ray against Will and evasion against Koga. Hypno has several good matchup but doesn't win 100% of the time due to these factors. That's why I feel C-tier is better than B-tier, Hypno is pretty good in theory but in practise, unluck is going to happen.

Machamp

I'm going with B-tier on this one (even though I could get if it get merged with Machoke). Machamp was significantly better than Machoke. Defeating Whitney is great but Machamp also wins against Pryce while doing better in other matchup. While Jasmine and Chuck aren't is most of the time, Machamp still does a lot of damages (and may win if Karate Chop crits). Clair was significantly better and it was great that Machamp could defeat either the 3 Dragonair or Kingdra 1v1. The Elite 4 was pretty good outside of Will and Lance as Machamp could get 3-4 kos each time and had a strong performance against Karen, taking down reliably Umbreon and Houndoom as well as another mon. All in all, I feel between boosted exp, ability to win against the important Whitney and doing a lot against Clair and Karen as well as overall potent performence, Machamp would be fine in B-tier.

Pinsir

I'm hesitating between D- and C-tier on this one although I'm leaning toward the former. Honestly, Pinsir was exactly like Heracross except for being somewhat easier to get and not having Earthquake for the last rival fight. Overall, Pinsir wasn't exactly good, Whitney and Pryce fight were unreliable (due to Fury Cutter's unaccuracy and possibly Clefairy damaging too much Pinsir for Whitney) and while it won against Pryce, Pinsir couldn't do someting in some matchup like Morty and Jasmine. The Elite 4 at level 40 was pretty average and Pinsir would get 2-3 kos except against Karen. Performant-wise, I guess I'd rank Pinsir C-rank but honestly the slow growth rate and rarity make me feel D-rank would be more adequate. I'm a bit unsure on how to weight Swords Dance on its performance because Pinsir only gets the move at level 43 and getting to this level is already annoying as it is but even harder with Pinsir levelup group. The move was great to sweep Will, Koga and Bruno but didn't help all that much for Karen and Lance. Winning against Will is great but Bruno and especially Koga are easy matchup most of the time anyway. So, overall, I think between mostly average performance, slow growth rate, difficulties to find and having to be at level 43 (with the slow growth rate especially) to perform the best, D-rank seems more adequate. Having Pinsir and Heracross in the same tier would make sense as they are nearly identical (same performance, growth rate and difficulties to find), just being slightly better for the E4 in exchange of performing worse against Rival and having to be at level 43.

Sunkern

This, on the other hand is an easy D-tier. Winning against Whitney was amazing but it was mostly bad outside of this fight and the final rival one due to its poor speed and bad overall stats, only netting few kos. It's also alright to train in spite of its bad typing thanks to med slow growth rate. Not much else to sat, being able to beat Whitney by itself and getting a few kos seems enough for D-tier.

Next run is going to be Pineco/Paras/Dratini/Alakazam. Obviously, Alakazam is S-rank worthy but I still want to provide logs about it, use it and it will help using it considering the other team members.

I am not sure how I feel about the recent support for Miltank in A-tier, given how much investment goes in getting on par with your team; in particular, you must first find it, then you have to catch (in the gen where half the catch modifiers don't actually work), then dealing with a level 13 Slow Pokemon until it reaches higher levels. At the very least, if Miltank rises to A-tier, Tauros, Girafaraig, Rattata, and Sentret all would deserve to rise to A-tier as well, as most of them are pretty much better than Miltank (Tauros can OHKO Clair's Dragonair and 2HKO Karen's Umbreon, Girafarig performs similarly to Miltank, but is less annoying to find and raise, Rattata and Sentret come much earlier and thus contribute much more). I'd be fine with Girafarig staying in B as well if if means Miltank stays in B-tier
I am not raising other mons because one performs better than the others. Regardless of the negatives or the positives. If their merits warrant them to be In B or what have you, then so be it. It personally doesn't sit right with me that mons who perform at the level they do get a tier rise because of someone else. Another mon's tier should have no bearing on anyone else's/

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Obviously, Alakazam is S-rank worthy but I still want to provide logs about it, use it and it will help using it considering the other team members.
I did a while ago a solo run with Zam for fun (mainly to see what you cannot 1v1) and here's what I had as results:

- Alakazam can beat every single Gym Leader (you want Psybeam for Miltank, though)
- Alakazam performs well against any E4 member just at level 42
- Alakazam only outright loses to two Pokemon in the entire game, which are Karen's Umbreon and Houndoom
- Alakazam needs healing if it wants to sweep Lance. Otherwise, you only take out five Pokemon.
- If you do not resort to healing items whatsoever (including for PP recovery) for the E4, you sweep Will, Koga, Bruno, 3/5 of Karen's team, and 5/6 of Lance's team in one go.

I think S-tier is an understatement for it, God-tier would probably be more appropriate

(and no, I am not proposing a new tier, before someone takes this seriously)

also hf with Dratini, that thing barely does anything (esp if you don't give it some GC TMs). Dragon Rage on Whitney would be great if it wasn't for the fact Dratini isn't reaching level 22 before Whitney without serious grinding (because you need trainers to earn the money to buy it, so your best source of experience went into buying Dratini on first place)

I did a while ago a solo run with Zam for fun (mainly to see what you cannot 1v1) and here's what I had as results:

- Alakazam can beat every single Gym Leader (you want Psybeam for Miltank, though)
- Alakazam performs well against any E4 member just at level 42
- Alakazam only outright loses to two Pokemon in the entire game, which are Karen's Umbreon and Houndoom
- Alakazam needs healing if it wants to sweep Lance. Otherwise, you only take out five Pokemon.
- If you do not resort to healing items whatsoever (including for PP recovery) for the E4, you sweep Will, Koga, Bruno, 3/5 of Karen's team, and 5/6 of Lance's team in one go.
What about the Team Rocket Houndoom in Radio Tower?

I don't think Team Rocket is being considered a major boss fight, especially since the enemies are unnamed
Regardless, the Team Rocket Houndoom is not nearly as powerful as Karen's Houndoom since it has Bite instead of Crunch and it is not going to overlevel the player
Ah, my bad. You are correct.

Also, it's now time for my log! Tested Geodude as I stated I would, but decided to go for Sentret instead of Chinchou or other mons based on DrumstickGaming's recommendation.

Falkner:

Sentret (L11) -> Pidgey out speeds you normally. Quick Attack 2-3HKOes. Tackle won't even 4HKO after Defense Curl used. At best you'll need a Potion, but chances are you won't (I didn't need one on ⅔ tries; actually, I didn't need one on the third either, but a crit helped). A Tier performance, easy. Pidgeotto outspeeds normally but Quick Attack outspeeds him and 4HKOes. Gust 4HKOes after Defense Curl.

Geodude (L11) -> Geodude, Pidgey out speeds but Mud Slap doesn't even 5KO. Rock Throw destroys Pidgey in one hit, though misses are possible and can be annoying. Geodude, Rock Throw reliably 2HKOes, leaving Pidgeotto such little HP Tackle can finish the job. Use Tackle as it is more accurate than Rock Throw (95 vs 90). but Pidgeotto out speeds and Mud-Slap accuracy misses can be annoying to the point you will likely lose if you stay in. Best to switch out after Pidgey and back in Mud Slap only 5KOs at best or so even AFTER Pidgey damage; alternatively, have a Potion or two ready to be safe. Won one round with two Potions, one with none (got a crit with Rock Throw), and another with none (no crits whatsoever or misses on my part).

On a fourth try, which I did given how weird this fight is with accuracy drops, I needed THREE Potions to win; however, worth noting that Pidgeotto has only 10 Mud-Slaps, ran out of Gust PP against me, and instead use Gust which only takes off 2 HP points barring crits. I also missed Rock Throw (I did land one earlier) until I lost PP for it, but weakened Pidgeotto enough that Tackle finished the job. should've just used Tackle instead of wasting Rock Throws, but oh well. A tier, IMO. Can win with a bit of healing support/luck/swapping after Pidgey's defeat, but loseable.

Bugsy:

Furret (L16) -> Pink Bow Swift 2HKOs Metapod. Ditto for Kakuna (even if they Harden). A Quick Attack from Scyther doesn't even 4HKO you, while PB Swift 3HKOs reliably (or Swift x2 + Quick Attack does too, safer as Scyther will outspeed you if using Fury Cutter and it prevents turn buildup). Fury Cutter does not even 3HKO barring a crit on the 3rd hit, even if you take a Poison Sting from Kakuna beforehand (non-Poison) and get critted on either hit 2 or 1. Fury Cutter x2 and Quick Attack also only drop you into yellow. Won 3/3 times, no item support needed. S-tier.

Geodude (L16 - L17 after Scyther defeated) -> Rock Throw GG on Metapod, but both cocoons outpace and both can actually take a hit if they Harden. Fury Cutter doesnt even OHKO you or 3HKO for that matter but Rock Throw OHKOes Scyther. Sometimes Bugsy sends Scyther in after Metapod, sometimes Kakuna. No change in outcomes. S tier.

Rival 2:

Geodude (L17 - L18 after Gastly) - Magnitude 6 or above OHKOes. Rival unfortunately had a Croconaw which outspeeds (like everyone else so far) but OHKOes you with Water Gun (Bayleef is no different; Quilava would lose unless or even if they do burn you, which is a distinct possibility). Croconaw? Naw. Sleep and paralysis can be annoying. Zubat can be annoying with Supersonic and/or Bite flinch spam, especially if you are already parayzed, and possible Rock misses do not help, but one KOes Zubat. Bite 5KOs barring crits. Everyone outspeeds you.

A Przcureberry (or Bitter Berry, confusion is less of a problem for Geodude due to their higher Defense relative to Attack) can be good. Very likely needs some healing support to clear even if Quilava, so I cannot in good conscience put them above B at best or at C at worst. They can handle Quilava but not easily, have trouble against Zubat, get demolished by Croconaw/Bayleef, and destroy Gastly. Overall, a mixed bag, so C overall?

Furret (L16) - You need Mud-Slap to even touch Gastly; lucky I had it lol. Lick thankfully cannot hit you, so no need for a Przcureberry. Bite cannot even 5HKO you. Mud-Slap 2HKOs and you outspeed. Swift 2HKOs Zubat reliably, Pink Bow or no (Bitter Berry is better here due to Supersonic but also not needed, just used Pink Bow). Water Gun canno t even 4HKO, PB Swift 3HKOs. You outspeed everyone. No item support needed, very easy A (not S due to Mud-Slap ™ requirement to clear Gastly).

Whitney:

Furret (L20) - Defense Curl + Rollout 2HKOes. I outpaced Clefairy; but was utpaced in turn by Miltank and 2HKOed her while tanking 2 Rollouts on two tries. On the third, Clefairy Doubleslaps brought me to the yellow zone (there probably was a crit and I had just a bit of prior damage going in) and Miltank took me out with Stomp + Rollout. Solid matchup, but definitely losable due to Clefairy DoubleSlap (can crit) or Metronome shenanigans and Miltank choices like flinch (Attract was never used in spite of Furret being a boy). B tier, solid but not safe and Rollout dependence prevents Furret from peaking. Might rise to A if you account for the Gold Berry, but idk.

Geodude (L20) - Clefairy outspeeds but DoubleSlap does pitiful damage and Defense Curl + Rollout 2HKOs. Metronome -> special attacks (ESPECIALLY Ice/Grass/Water moves) can be scary and Clefairy brought me to yellow that way with DRagonbreath x2. Rollout OHKOed Miltank while I tanked hers easily twice on 3 separate tries. A tier, solid overall but Metronome luck can suck (though never a problem for me personally).

Rival 3:

Geodude (L21 -> L22 after killing Haunter) - Haunter outspeeds and Curses but falls to Dig. Crocownaw/Bayleef, a naw again; Quilava outspeeds but dies probably to Dig. Magnemite outspeeds but falls to Dig; Supersonic and Sonicboom can be annoying separately ro together. Zubat outspeeds and Confuse Ray is inane but Rock Throw OHKOs. B tier, can beat pretty much everyone in one hit (minus SE STarters) but goes last and is vulnerable to annoying statuses including Curse and non-physical damage pileup from Ember, Sonicboom, and Bite (let alone Water Gun or RL lol). Might wanna switch to reset Curse after killing Haunter or even before. I did win on a 4th try sans any item support (save held Mint Berry) or switching, so B tier sounds fine IMO.

Furret (L20 - L21 after beating Haunter) - Haunter speed ties and can be really annoying with Cuse but only Spites you (never been a problem). Furret outspeeds everyone else and Curlout OHKS everyone else (2HKOs Haunter at first and Magnemite too). Curlout stps before Croconaw but Curse does not, so you might wanna heal/switch + heal here / Water Gun doesnt even 3HKO at full health, but can be a problem if you are damaged and critted. PB Strength only 3HKOs so you are unlikely to solo unless you teach Dig. Dig OHKOs Haunter and Magnemite after Curse. Pink Bow Strength OHKOes Zubat. Dig or Rollout or neither, you will almost certainly need healing to get through. Can take on anyone one-on-one or even defeat any 3 mons solo, but 4 is where item support is needed and TMs are definitely important to even touch Magnemite and Haunter - possibly even 2 TMs. C tier.

Morty:

Graveler (L25 -> L26 after Haunter 2) - Gastly outspeeds and Curses as I set up Defense Curl + Rollout, inflicting damage on me quickly. They then use Lick and do little damage and do not paralyze. Rollout OHKOs Gastly immediately. Haunter Mean Looks and falls in one. I miss Rollout and Haunter 2 Night Shades me and nealy KOes me, after which Curse does me in. Second try, I set up Curlout and KO Gastly but get paralyzed and Cursed. Night Shade does a lot of damage but fails to KO and Rollout takes out Haunter. Haunter 2 falls to Rollout after Mean Looking. Gengar uses Mean Look and then gets OHKOed. 3rd try, I got Licked but not paralyzed and Curlout took out my boy GuzGastly, then Haunter 1 came in...I missed Rollout, got hit by Night Shade and Curse damage bringing me to low yellow, and then after firing off a Rollout leaving Haunter in red, Graveler succumbed to a second Curse and Night Shade barrage. Overall, do NOT stay in to use Curlout if you miss; switch, heal, then come back.

The good news is that Graveler can beat anyone here one-on-one, including Gengar, and can potentially kill Morty's entire team; the bad news is that it's really risky and needs team support to be consistently successful. I'm giving Graveler a B based on these issues.

Furret (L25 -> L26 after Gengar) - Furret outspeeds Gastly and sets up Defense Curl + Rollout, 2HKOing Gastly as he Curses me and Spites me. Haunter is outsped and OHKOed. Gengar outspeeds me but is OHKOed as he Mean Looks. Haunter 2 is outpaced and OHKOed. Wear a Mint Berry so you do not get put to sleep if you miss. Never actually needed one myself though. Ez ez. Easy job on all 3 tries. A tier.

Geodude Verdict so far: B

Furret Verdict
so far: A

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
for Geodude, it's probably worth mentioning that Self-destruct achieves an easy OHKO on Miltank (though you don't get the experience, but a win is a win), thereby removing the need for Rollout there

anyways, I decided to retest Snubbull, but use it with a Friend Ball to see what I will experience this time. Snubbull doesn't have particularly great matchups before that anyways (it can spam Charm on Miltank and Bite on Morty, but neither is particularly notable, imo), so might as well use this way.

Granbull

Chuck(30): PB Return OHKOes and 2HKOes, but Granbull is slower (it lives one Dynamic Punch if no Leer, though)

Jasmine(30): 2HKOes Magnemite, which paralyze and 3HKO with TBolt

Pryce(32): PB Return OHKOes Seel and 2HKOes the rest, Granbull isn't threatened here at all

Silver(34): PB Return OHKOes Golbat and Sneasel and 2HKOes Meganium. Fire Punch OHKOes Magnemite

Clair(38): PB Return OHKOes Dragonair. They are faster and paralyze you, but it takes them a few attacks to KO you, so you are likely beating all of the Dragonair

Silver(40): beats everything but Haunter and Magneton

Will(42): PB Return OHKOes Xatu #1 and Jynx and 2HKOes the rest. You are slower than half of his team and get 2/3HKOed by Psychic. Confusion hax is in play as well. Meh matchup

Koga(42): PB Return OHKOes Ariados and Venomoth and 2HKOes the rest bar Forry, which is OHKOed on rolls by Fire Punch. Great matchup

Bruno(43): beats at best Hitmontop and Hitmonlee

Karen(43): 2HKOes Umbreon wth Return, though Umbreon is faster and immediately starts haxing you. It can take on some other foes, but Granbull is best off 1v1ing Umbreon, honestly

Note that this assumes Crystal; in GS, Snubbull is at a 1% encounter rate without swarms and I have no idea if you can DST trick or not in GS. Anyways, Snubbull's most positive point, compared to Tauros and Miltank, is that it's easier to find and catch in a Friend Ball, as opposed to them, and that it levels up much more quickly than them. Unfortunately, Granbull's Speed is a major letdown for it, just like last time, so it doesn't really outperform them when it comes to major battles. In particular, it risks losing to Chuck and paralysis makes it hard to perform consistently against Clair, even though it OHKOes her Dragonair. Its E4 performance was also meh, with Koga being its only consistently good matchup (though it can potentially beat Karen's Umbreon, but Umbreon's faster and immediately starts dropping your accuracy). So, unfortunately, Friend Ball isn't enough to change my opinion from the last time, so I won't change my nomination (which is C-tier as of currently)

Just wanted a nitpick from Geodude but I find Magnitude to be a bit more reliable against Morty imo. Sure, its BP is inconsistent, but we've had experiences where a Rollout misses on 3rd hit or something. Magnitude 6, which had 50 BP, isn't that far off from Dig's 60 BP while not being a two-turn move. Magnitude has 15% to proc 4 and 5 combined, which would make it 85% reliable, but Rock Throw/Rollout had 90% accuracy for comparison. During my second test, I was able to 1HKO Gastly that randomly went for Lick turn 1 with only Magnitude 5 as a L23 Geodude, and while it was close to 1HKOing Gengar with Magnitude 7 as Geodude, i think Graveler/Golem should be able to reliably 1HKO it with Magnitude 7. CurlOut is still a better alternative against Morty, though.

in GS, Snubbull is at a 1% encounter rate without swarms and I have no idea if you can DST trick or not in GS
I can confirm you can DST Trick a swarm call in GS. I was able to do this when I was testing Remoraid, which is only obtainable via swarm call, in GS.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
it's probably worth mentioning that Magnitude's average power is 71, so it will outdamage Dig in most cases. The main appeal to Magnitude over Dig is that it is better when you are already Cursed, since you will most likely OHKO with it, denying Curse a turn to inflict damage.

The matchup is still a luckfest, Magnitude can probs alleviate it slightly, though

Echoing the previous sentiment and Magnitude is pretty reliable for Morty, only requiring Magnitude 7 to OHKO Gengar iirc.

I also had the same experience with Granbull and C-tier is perfect for it. It's really impressive how with just a bit better stats, Ursaring performs so much better, winning in gyms 6-8 and sweeping Clair. I really think Crystal Teddiursa should be A-tier due to coming early and impressive mid to late game performances.

Anyway, did the run, I added Venonat so that I can save after Whitney for future runs.

Here are the logs :

Whitney( 20) : PB Tackle 4HKO Clefairy and PB Self-Destruct OHKO Miltank. Clefairy doesn't do much damages and Pineco should be able to take 2 Rollout from Miltank so it can beat both. It's really luck-reliant tho thus not a guaranteed win and Miltank using Stomp or Clefairy picking a special move with Metronome may mean that Pineco doesn't win.

Rival (23) : PB Tackle 3HKOes Zubat but Confuse Ray makes things harder. Self-Destruct OHKOes Bayleef.

Morty (25) : Everything outspeeds. Rollout 2HKOes Gastly #1 and then the rest is OHKOed. It's not reliable tho and a single miss, Lick paralysing or Hypnosis can ruin the strategy.

Chuck (31) : PB Strength 2HKOes Primeape and is a range for the 3HKO on Poliwrath. The latter will 3HKO with Surf after Primeape attacks tho and it will be hard to beat it between Hypnosis, Dynamic Punch and Surf. Rollout is a bit better as it takes 4 hits to ko Primeape and the fifth hit puts Poliwrath to red but it's still unlikely to win after taking multiple hits from Primeape and Poliwrath outspeeding and either 2HKOing or putting asleep, not to mention the accuracy.

Pryce (31) : Rollout 3HKOes Seel and OHKOes the rest. PB Strength 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong and Piloswine. Either way, nothing threatens Forretress which should easily win here.

Rival (33) : PB Strength is a range for the 2HKO on Golbat. Avoid magnemite. You can't really set up Rollout on Haunter as while it will get KOed by Meganium afterwards which is only 2HKOed when it comes. 2HKOes Sneasel with PB Strength. Alright as Forretress gets 3 kos.

Clair (38) : Forretress will just achieve an OHKO with PB Self-Destruct here.

Rival (40) : 2HKO Sneasel and OHKO Golbat with Rollout. Avoid Magnemite as Rollout won't ko it and it can paralyse and do a lot with Thundershock. Then, it's possible to use Rollout on Haunter to 2HKO it, OHKO Kadabra and 2HKO Meganium but that's assuming Haunter didn't use Confuse Ray. Pretty good as Foretress can beat 5 members of the team.

Will (40) : PB Strength 3HKOes Xatu, 2HKOes Jynx and does nearly nothing to Slowbro. Foretress won't be able to take more than 4 Psychic and Confuse Ray makes things harder. Hence, it will beat at most 2 Pokemon, using Strength and koing someting with Explosion. Slowbro is outsped and OHKOed by Explosion, so assuming Forretress isn't koed, it can take it down.

Koga (40) : PB Strength 3HKOes Ariados/Venomoth while Muk is 4HKOed by Strength. It's probably better to muscle through Muk than using Explosion as it can't touch Forretress anyway and being able to explode on Forretress/Crobat can be good. If not using Explosion on opposite Forretress, it's better to avoid it as its Explosion hurts and it will be hard to reliably damage it.

Bruno (40) : Foretress has the bulk to take down Hitmontop and Machamp, taking 3 Dig and a Cross Chop while 3HKOing Hitmotop with PB Strength and OHKOing Muk with Explosion. Sadly, it can't do something else as Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan put Foretress in ko range for Cross Chop.

Karen (40) : Either explode on Umbreon (watch out for Sand Attack tho) or 3HKO Vileplume with PB Strength and then 2HKO Mukrow with PB Strength.

Lance (40) : Forretress can OHKO something with Explosion.

Whitney (20) : Fury Cutter 3HKOes Clefairy (which is outsped) and 2HKOes Miltank but Paras won't win as Miltank is going to 2HKO with Rollout. I didn't try at a lower level to use the 5th hit on Miltank because that could mean Clefairy would outspeed and Miltank would do way more damages.

Rival (23) : OHKO Haunter after Curse with Dig. Zubat is 3HKOed by Scatch but it's better to avoid it due to Confuse Ray and Bite. Magnemite is OHKOed by Dig but outspeeds. Bayleef barely hits Paras which can easily defeat it. Pretty good as Paras can claim 3 kos.

Morty (25) : Everything outspeeds. Dig OHKOes Gastly and Haunter but Gengar is 2HKOed. Curse is annoying but Parasect should either beat Gastly+Gengar 1v1 with a MintBerry or both Haunter.

Chuck (30) : Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Spore helps against the latter and Parasect should be able to take 2/3 Dynamic Punch (it only 5HKOes) and should win.

Jasmine (30) : Equip PRZCureBerry because Magnemites speedtie. It is OHKOed like Magnemite #2 by Dig. Steelix is way too bulky tho.

Pryce (30) : Fury Cutter spam doesn't work as Dewgong and Piloswine outspeed and Dewgong 2HKOes. Will only beat Seel and do half to Dewgong before fainting. It's possible to put asleep Dewgong and 4HKO it with Fury Cutter but it will bareky work.

Rival (33) : Dig OHKOes Haunter and Magnemite. Fury Cutter takes care of Sneasel and Meganium. They should be put asleep tho as Screech + uick Attack from Sneasel actually does a lot, much like Body Slam from Meganium.

Clair (38) : Can beat a non-Ice Beam Dragonair with Spore+Fury Cutter but not more. Fury Cutter only 4HKOes the first Dragonair and while the fith hit ohkoes Dragonair, Ice Beam does more than half and will ko.

Rival (40) : 3HKO Sneasel with Fury Cutter. Avoid Golbat and Haunter (due to Curse). OHKO Magneton with Dig. Then, you can 2HKO Kadabra and then Meganium with Fury Cutter. Pretty good as Parasect nets 4 kos.

Will (40) : Can put asleep Exeggutor and 3HKO it with Fury Cutter and assuming it's the 4th hit, it will OHKO Slowbro. Otherwise, Slowbro is outsped and 4 Fury Cutter is enougn to ko it. Avoid Xatus and Jynx due to Confuse Ray, Psychic doing a lot and Ice Punch nearly OHKOing.

Koga (40) : Just beats Ariados and Venomoth, 3HKOing with Slash.

Bruno (40) : 3HKOes Hitmontop with Slash and 2HKOes Lee with it. Hitmonchan is 3HKOed by Slash and due to Fire Punch 2HKOing it's better to avoid it even with Spore.

Karen (40) : Umbreon is 4HKOed by Fury Cutter but it outspeeds so gl hitting with Confuse Ray/Double Team/Sand Attack. Otherwise, Vileplume is 3HKOed by PB Sludge Bomb and Murkrow is 2HKOed by it which means Parasect can beat both if Vileplume doesn't go for Acid and paralysis doesn't hit too much.

To obtain Dratini, you have to spend 42000 pokedollars. But, after beating every trainer (so that I could see how easy it is to buy Dratini), I only had 29264 pokedollars. Thus, it's hard to catch up to the rest of the team because if you earned more money, then there will be nothing to grind on. I also tried Whitney with Dragon Rage (at level 22) and without Dragon Rage (at level 20) even though getting to level 22 isn't easy due to the conditions of obtention of Dratini.

Whitney (20) : Nop, doesn't even win vs Clefairy.

Whitney (22) : Outspeed Clefairy and 2HKO both. However, Stomp does a lot and assuming Miltank uses it, it's going to win so Dratini only wins if Miltank goes for Rollout.

Rival (23) : Dragon Rage 2HKOes everything and only Haunter outspeeds. Dratini can't beat the whole team due to Curse but still should get 3 kos most of the time.

Morty (25) : Dragon Rage 2HKOes everything and Gastly and is outsped. Dratini should do 2 kos at minimum. Haunter is annoying between Niht Shade doing a third, Hypnosis and possibly Spite. Gengar also 2HKOes with Shadow Ball and can put asleep with Hypnosis. Alright matchup but Dratini will struggle to get 3 kos due to these factors.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed both and 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath. However, Leer + Dynamic Punch nearly kills at full and a confusion hit means it's a loss. Still Dragonair is potent here and can win, just not reliably.

Jasmine (30) : Fire Blast OHKOes Magnemite. MW Surf 2HKOes Steelix. A single miss ruin this tho as Iron Tail nearly OHKOes so assuming Magnemite used Thunderbolt, it would result in a loss.

Pryce (30) : Just beats Seel, 2HKOing with Dragon Rage. Piloswine OHKOes with Blizzard. Dewgong is 3HKOed and 2HKOes wit Aurora Beam.

Rival (33) : 3HKOes Golbat and between Confuse Ray and Wing Attack doing a lot, avoid fighting it. OHKOes Magnemite and Sneasel with Fire Blast. Meganium is 2HKOed by Fire Blast. Haunter is 2HKOed as well. Dragonair isn't going to get more than 3 kos between misses, Curse and its fraility.

Clair (38) : Dragonair needs NMI to OHKO others Dragonair with Blizzard. However, assuming it misses, Dragonair can paralyse and does more than half with Dragon Breath. Kingdra takes nothing.

Rival (40) : Fire Blast OHKOes Sneasel and Magneton. Blizzard OHKOes Golbat. Meganium is 2HKOed by either move. Kadabra and Haunter are 2HKOed by MW Surf. The problem is that between misses and repeated hits like Curse, Future Sight, Body Slam and Magneton possibly using Thunder Wave, winning will be hard.

Will (40) : OHKO Xatu #1 with NVI Blizzard while the second one is a range. Exeggutor is outsped but only 2HKOed by Blizzard even with NVI. Slowbro is 2HKOed by Thunder but it's hard to land 2 hit and it's prone to use Amnesia. Avoid Jynx. Not really good as Psychic 2HKOes and Dragonair uses unaccurate moves, which doesn't even surely OHKO.

Koga (40) : OHKO bugs with FIre Blast and avoid the rest. It's like impossible to beat Crobat due to Double Team and usage of unaccurate moves.

Bruno (40) : Hitmontop is beatble but you have to use 2 Blizzard and then Surf, otherwise it's a range. Then, it's possible to ko Onix with Surf. Not good.

Karen (40) : NVI Blizzard OHKOes Murkrow and 2HKOes Vileplume. Dragonair won't beat more and between unacurracy, Feint Attack hitting relatively hard and paralysis, it's not even guaranteed to beat the 2 mons.

Lance (41) : Thunder is a roll on Gyarados (and it nearly always uses Rain Dance). Dragonite at lvl 47 are a range with NVI Blizzard but they 2HKO with Twister and can paralyse. Level 50 Dragonite OHKOes with Outrage. Charizard and Aero are 2HKOed by Thunder but do a lot with Hyper Beam/Ancient Power/Rock Slide. Realistically, Dragonair should beat Gyarados and at the very most 1 to 2 other Pokemon but not more. Between rolls, accuracy problems and paralysis it's really hard to achieve multiple kos.

Whitney (21) : 2HKOes both mon witb Psybeam while taking easily a Stomp from Miltank.

Rival (23) : OHKOes Zubat and Haunter wit Psybeam. OHKO Magnemite with Fire Punch while Bayleef gets 2HKOed.

Morty (25) : Outspeed and OHKO everything with Psybeam.

Chuck (30) : OHKOes Primeape and 2HKOes Poliwrath with Psybeam which doesn't do much back.

Jasmine (30) : Fire Punch OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes Steelix while Alakazam can take an Iron Tail.

Pryce (30) : Thunder Punch OHKOes Seel and 2HKOes Dewgong. Piloswine is 2HKOed by Psybeam. Nothing really damages Alakazam so it's an easy win.

Rival (33) : OHKOes Golbat and Haunter with Psybeam. OHKOes Magnemite/Sneasel and 2HKOes Meganium with Charcoal FirePunch.

Clair (38) : Ice Punch OHKOes Dragonair. Psychic 2HKOes Kingdra which can't OHKO back, even with Hyper Beam.

Rival (40) : OHKOes Sneasel and Magneton with Fire Punch. OHKOes Haunter and Golbat with Psychic. 2HKO Kadabra and Meganium with Fire Punch.

Will (40) : It's better to equip NVI to guarantee the OHKO on Exegutor and Xatu #2. Anyway, Alakazam OHKOes both Xatu, Exeggutor with Ice Punch. Jynx is 2HKOed by Fire Punch and Slowbro is 2HKOed by Thunder Punch.

Koga (41) : Psychic OHKOes everything but Forretress which can't take a Fire Punch and Crobat is outsped

Bruno (42) : Psychic OHKOes everything, just use Ice Punch on Onix to have 2 Psychic PPs for the next fight.

Karen (43) : OHKOes Vileplume and Gengar with Psychic. OHKOes Murkrow with Ice Punch.

Lance (44) : Thunder Punch OHKOes Gyarados. NVI Ice Punch OHKOes the three Dragonite and at level 44 appears to be a range on Aerodactyl. Chaizard is 2HKOed by ThunderPunch. Alakazam can take an Hyper Beam from Aero/Zard so it will in the worst case get 5 kos and can outright sweep Lance. Level 44 might be a bit high but even assuming a lower level, getting 5 kos while doing 2/3 to Zard against Lance is incredible.

Whitney (20) : Beats Clefairy with Poison Powder and multiple hits but obviously loses to Miltank.

Rival (23) : Outspeed and 3HKOes Zubat with Confusion. 2HKOes Haunter after Curse with Confusion. Also beats Bayleef with Poison Powder as it can't really damage Venonat.

Morty (25) : Confusion OHKOes Gastly after Curse while Haunter is 2HKOed after it (3HKOed otherwise). Realistically, Venonat will not get more than 2 kos because everything outspeeds and Curse/Hypnosis is too threatening. Gengar is too threatening with Dream Eater, Shadow Ball and only gets 4HKOed.

Chuck (31) : Outspeed both. PB Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath which 3HKOes back with Surf. Venomoth should live a hit from Primeape and 2 Surf from Poliwrath. Assuming Poliwrath doesn't use Hypnosis, it's a win.

Pryce (31) : PB Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong (which is outsped even after Icy Wind) while taking Icy Wind + 2 Aurora Beam.

Rival (33): Avoid Golbat as Wing Attack 2HKOes and Confusion 3HKOes. Avoid Magnemite. PB Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Sneasel and Meganium. Confusion OHKOes Haunter after Curse. Pretty good as Venomoth should kill 3 mons.

Clair (38) : Poison Barb is necessary to guaranteed the 2HKO on Dragonair (it's a range otherwise) but that means it can't use PRZCureBerry. Dragonair 4HKOes with Slam so that means Venomoth will at most beat 2 Dragonair and lose to the third one. It's also sometimes possible to 1v1 Kingdra, 3HKOing with PB Sludge Bomb but it 2HKOes with Surf, Hyper Beam does a lot and Smokescreen is annoying. Also, if Sludge Bomb poisons, it will get to healing range.

Rival (40) : Outspeed everything. 2HKOes Sneasel and Meganium with Sludge Bomb while Kadabra gets OHKOed. 2HKOes Golbat and Haunter with Psybeam. Wing Attack from Golbat does a lot (and may OHKO assuming Sneasel uses it) so it's better to avoid it to defeat Sneasel+Haunter+Kadabra+Meganium.

Will (40) : Nop, neither Jynx nor Exeggutor are OHKOed by Sludge Bomb.

Koga (40) : 2HKOes Ariados/Venomoth with Psybeam while Muk is 4HKOed but only 4HKOes back so Venomoth should beat these 3.

Bruno (40) : 3HKOes Hitmontop with Psybeam. Hitmonchan is a range for the 2HKO with PB Sludge Bomb and Hitmonlee is 2HKOed. Swagger makes things harder tho and assuming it hits itself or misses the range, Venomoth won't be able to beat the three Hitmon.

Karen (40) : 3HKOes Vileplume with Psybeam and 2HKOes Murkrow with Sludge Wave. However, Venomoth will struggle to beat both due to repeated hit, para and Feint Attack doing a lot.

Pineco

This is fine in D-tier. Pineco like Heracross is annoying to find (and will require an important backtrack if playing Crystal) and to train. Pineco being so slow means it takes lots of time to train it as you have to go to the pokecenter often to level it up. Even then, its performance was nothing impressive, with Pryce being the only reliable win. Pineco and then Foretress definitely had their uses in battles but it was mostly taking down the weaker Pokemon or using Self-Destruct/Explosion. It was obviously great to OHKO things like Miltank, Kingdra, Slowbro, Machamp and Umbreon) but still I wouldn't call this something reliable, due to getting koed (and Kingdra/Umbreon using Smokescreen/Sand Attack). Not much else to say, I don't think this will get contested, it's usable but had mostly a mediocre performance and it fits D-tier perfectly.

Parasect

This is fine in D-tier too. Paras was mostly bad due to its poor stats, especially its speed but was still able to koo some foes. Winning against Chuck pretty reliably thanks to Spore and having some utilities thanks to said moves should be enough for D-tier. Just like Pineco, it's not something I would recommend but still wins against a gym leader and can achieve some kos in nearly every major fight.

Dratini

This, on the other hand should really be E-tier. Dratini had horrible availability problems because it requires 42000 pokedollars to get it but by fighting every trainer, you don't even get 30k, which means you have to play in Game Corner. You'll need to earn a lot of coins by playing because you really want trainers available to grind on. Even then, training Dratini isn't the easiest task due to the Slow growth rate and bad stats and it only comes at level 10. Performance-wise, it's not even good, it's really difficult to get to level 22 for Whitney and even then, Miltank using Stomp will result in a loss. Most other gym leaders are average at best performances or outright bad with the exception of Jasmine assuming it has Fire Blast (and that's assuming there is no miss). This is a real problem because adding to its expensive price, Dragonair will want the Game Corner TMs (mostly Blizzard and Fire Blast but Thunder has some use too) which is honestly way too much investment, especially considering the shallow performance. Also, it's important to keep in mind that these moves are unaccurate and just a single miss can ruin the battle and will result in Dragonair getting koed. Without a Game Corner TM, Dragonair is even worse and won't achieve anything signifiant. So, yeah between really awkward availability, difficulties to train, reliance on costly and unaccurate and mediocre performance, Dragonair should be E-tier. It's just way too much investment for a Pokemon that doesn't even perform well.

It shouldn't get contested but it would be better to merge Dratini into E-tier as the Crystal one is only available after reaching Blackthorn City and at a low level.

Alakazam

As Ryota said, Alakazam is incredibly great and I won't have much to add to what he said. Just going to mention that perks Alakazam has over Kadabra is a slightly better Whitney's fight due to 2HKOing Miltank and thus not losing in case it goes for Stomp, not getting OHKOed by Steelix' Iron-Tail or Hyper Beam from Kingdra/Aerodactyl and OHKOing Will's Exeggutor, Bruno's Machamp or Lance's level 50 Dragonite.

Venonat

Yeah, I feel this should go to E-tier (with a very small possibility of D-tier). Venonat was bad and hard to train (like the rest of the team outside of Kazam but at least they were useful in gym battles) and even then, it wasn't good as a Venomoth. Its only achievement was a great Chuck battle but still it wasn't even a reliable win. In other battles, it couldn't beat the major threats outside of Pryce's Dewgong and Koga's Muk and the E4 performance was honestly terrible. I wouldn't have mind D-tier if Venomoth had a solid win but it's sadly not the case and not even Buno was particularly good.

As for Crystal Venomoth, I'll try it but maybe improved performance against Morty and being way easier to train could be push it to D-tier.

Next run is going to be Espeon/Krabby/Steelix/Mantine

I'll also try Venomoth but just for the Morty fight and until it gets to level 31 to compare it with Venonat.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post but here is the run, I c/ped for Onix as it will have the same performance anyway until Morty anyway.

Got Espeon at level 32, I'll explain later what I did to get it earlier

Rival (23) : Avoid Haunter. 2HKO Magnemite with Mud Slap and Zubat is Headbutt. Also outspeeds and 3HKOes Bayleef hence if Razor Leaf doesn't crit it's a win (and Headbutt flinching helps).

Morty (25) : Nop, will just beat Gastly with Mud Slap, OHKOing with Mud Slap after Curse and rarely Haunter #1 if Gastly goes for Spite. Haunter #1 is feasible 1v1 but that's assuming it doesn't straight up go for Hypnosis.

Chuck (30) : 2HKOes Primeape with Headbutt and Poliwrath is outsped and 4HKOed. Surprisingly, Eevee can sometimes win and between Dynamic Punch and Headbutt flinching, Poliwrath may lose to Eevee. However, most of the time, it will result in a loss as Dynamic Punch OHKOes after Primeape attacks.

Jasmine (31) : Mud Slap 2HKOes Magnemite (and accuracy drops helps to avoid Thunder Wave) but even then Thunderbolt 2HKOes so it's better to avoid fighting them.

Pryce (32) as Eevee : Headbutt 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong while Eevee barely takes Icy Wind and 3 Aurora Beam so assuming no atack drop, it should beat both. Piloswine does way too much with Blizzard so it's better to avoid fighting it.

Pryce (32) as Espeon : Bite only 3HKOes Seel and 4HKOes Dewong and Piloswine. Espeon will beat Seel but risks getting outstalled by Rest and will at most defeat the Seel line only if the AI is favorable.

Rival (32) : Bite OHKOes Haunter. Golbat is 3HKOed by Bite and can hax and Meganium is only 5HKOed by it so it's hard to take down just one of them.

Clair (38) : Psybeam 2HKOes the Dragonair and 3HKOes Kingdra. Espeon can easily take hits from Dragonair and shuld have no troubles defeating them with a PRZCureBerry. Also, it beats Kingdra 1v1, taking Surf+Hyper Beam and assuming it has a PRZCureBerry and Dragonair #1 goes for Thunder Wave, Espeon can take down both. Pretty good matchup.

Rival (40) : OHKOes Golbat and Haunter with Psybeam. Meganium is 3HKOed and isn't hard to take down while Kadabra is OHKOed by Bite. Avoid the rest.

Will (40-41) : Bite 2HKOes everything and SpellTag Shadow Ball OHKOes Jynx. Psychic doesn't do too much so Espeon can put quite a lot of work here. Even if confusion hits twice, Espeon can take down bothh Xatus, Jynx and Exeggutor, fallng to Slowbro. Great matchup, Espeon can definitely win and even in the worst case, should take down 4 mons.

Koga (42) : Psybeam OHKOes Ariados and Venomoth while Muk and Crobat are 2HKOed. Crobat sadly outspeeds and can be annoying to deal with as its Wing Attack 3HKOes. Still, Espeon is pretty good and can beat 4 mons, with Forretress being the only true issue.

Bruno (43) : Psybeam 2HKOes everything. Espeon barely has the bulk to take Dig + 2 Mach Punch + Rock Slide and HIgh Jump Kick and thus should be able to beat all but Onix. Keepin mind at was at a slightly higher level but even at level 42, Espeon should be able to beat Machamp and 2 HItmon, which is more than fine.

Karen (43) : Just beats Gengar and Vileplume, 2HKOing with Psybeam.

Lance (43) : 3HKOes Gyarados and Charizard with Psybeam, meaning it wins against the former and the latter assuming it goes for Hyper Beam. Level 47 Dragonite doesn't seem 3HKOed by Psybeam and Aerodactyl outspeeds and 2HKOes.

Rival (23) : 2HKOes Haunter with Surf. Avoid Magnemite and Bayleef. OHKO Zubat with Strength.

Morty (25) : OHKOes Gastly after Curse. 2HKOes Haunter after Curse. One beat more than one of Gastly or Haunter #1. Haunter #2 3HKOes with Night Shade.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed both. 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath with Strength. Poliwrath only 3HKOes with Dynamic Punch but confusion and Hypnosis. Still, Kingler is favoured here.

Jasmine (30) : Can't OHKO Magnemite, even with MW Surf so avoid them. Steelix is 2HKOed by MW Surf even if it uses Sunny Day.

Pryce (30) : PB Strength 2HKOes the Seel line and Surf 2HKOes Piloswine. Kingler should have no troubles here as it can take multiple hits.

Rival (32) : 2HKOes Sneasel and Golbat (which is outsped) with Strength and Haunter with Surf after Curse.

Clair (38) : 2HKOes Dragonair with Strength, while being 3HKOed by Dragon Breath so Kingler beats the non-Thunderbolt Dragonairs.

Rival (40) : 2HKOes Sneasel and Golbat with Strength while Kadabra is OHKOed. Haunter is 2HKOed by Surf. Avoid the rest.

Will (40) : Psychic from everything 2HKOes and Xatu #2 and Jynx outspeed. Can beat Xatu #1, 2HKOing with PB Strength and then OHKOing Jynx with it but that's the very best it can do.

Koga (40) : Giga Drain from Ariados 2HKOes it. PB Strength 2HKOes Venomoth, Ariados and 3HKOes Muk. Even beating these 3 will be annoying due to Toxic from Venomoth, Minimize from Muk and Giga Drain from Ariados doing half.

Bruno (40) : 3HKOes Himontop with PB Strength while Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are 2HKOed by it. Onix is OHKOed by Surf. Hitmonlee outspeeds and does too much with High Jump Kick so Kingler will only beat Hitmontop + Hitmonchan + Onix.

Karen (40) : Murkrow outspeeds and 2HKOes with Feint Attack. Umbreon is only 4HKOed by it and will have plenty of time to hax.

Lance (40) : Outspeeds and 3HKOes Gyarados with PB Strength.

Bugsy (16/17) : Rock Throw 2HKOes everything and Onix barely takes damages. Clear win.

Rival (17) : Rock Throw 2HKOes Gastly and OHKOes Zubat.

Whitney (21) : After a Screech, Rock Throw 2HKOes Clefairy. 2 Screech, a Dig and 1 Rock Throw is enough to take down Miltan. With Dig disrupting Rollout, Onix has no troubles winning here.

Rival (22) As an Onix : OHKOes Haunter with Dig after Curse. OHKO Magnemite with Dig. 2HKOes Zubat with Rock Throw.

Rival (23) : As a Steelix : OHKOes Haunter and Magnemite with Dig and 2HKOes Zubat with Rock Throw. Steelix should beat these 3. Even with Screech, between unacurracy and Razor Leaf potentially critting it's better to avoid it.

Morty (25) : As an Onix : Outspeeds everything but Gengar. Only Gengar is 2HKOed by Dig, the rest is OHKOed (bar Haunter 2 which is a range). Equipped with a Mint Berry, Onix has great odds to win and even in the worst case, can beat 3 mons.

Morty (25) : As a Steelix : Everything outspeeds. Gastly and both Haunter are OHKOed by Dig. Gengar is 2HKOed by Dig but doesn't really threaten. It's probably better to take down Gastly, switching out for Haunter #1, then 2HKOing Gengar and Haunter #2 afterwards. Pretty good as Steelix bears 3 mons most of the time with a MintBerry but Onix performs better in this matchup.

Chuck (30) : Dig 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Primeape is easily defeated but Poliwrath 2HKOes with Surf and outspeeds.

Jasmine (30) : Outspeed and OHKO Magnemite with Dig. Use 2 Screech and Dig will 2HKO Steelix, while Iron Tail does nothing back. Clear win here.

Pryce (30) : Dig 2HKOes Seel. Iron Tail 2HKOes Dewgong and OHKOes Piloswine. Steelix can take Icy Wind + 2 Aurora Beam + Blizzard barely so assuming it hits 3 Iron Tail it's a win and in the worst case, it should beat the Seel line.

Rival (32) : Iron Tail 2HKOes Golbat although between unaccuracy and Confuse Ray,koing it can get annoying. Outspeed and OHKO Magnemite with Dig. OHKO Sneasel with Iron Tail. Meganium is technically feasible but Razor Leaf may crit nd it takes several hits to ko it.

Clair (38) : Beats the non-Surf Dragonairs, 2HKOing with Dig+Iron Tail.

Rival (40) : OHKOes Sneasel with Iron Tail. Golbat is 2HKOed by Iron Tail but may hax. Kadabra and Magneton are OHKOed by Earthquake. It's better to avoid Meganium due to Reflect.

Will (40) : It takes like 5 Psychic to ko Steelix. It's better to avoid Exeggutor due to Reflect and Leech Seed. Xatus are annoying with Confuse Ray but Steeli should still be able to take at least one of them down. Jynx is OHKOed by Iron Tail but Lovely Kiss is annoying and Ice Punch does a lot. Surprisingly, Slowbro is easier to deal with as Screech + Earthquake will easily 2HKO it. Steelix is alright here and should be able to take down Slowbro easily, at least one Xatu and most of the time another mon. Iron Tail missing is annoying tho.

Koga (41) : Earthquake 2HKOes Ariados/Venomoth/Muk and FOretress after Screech. Crobat is 2HKOed by Iron Tail even though it's hard to hit it due to Double Team. Nothing threatens Steelix so barring running of PPs against Crobat, it should be a solid win.

Bruno (41) : Earthquake OHKOes Hitmontop under ground. You can also beat either Hitmonlee afterwards, taking 2 High Jump Kick while 2HKOing or Hitmonchan but not both sadly. Machamp hits too hard with Cross Chop, outspeeds and is only 3HKOed.

Karen (41) : Earthquake OHKOes Gengar. Iron Tail 2HKOes Murkrow (which seemingly goes for Whirlwind nearly all the time). Also beats Vileplume, 2HKOing with Earthquake while taking alright Petal Dance.

Lance (42) : OHKOes Aerodactyl with Iron Tail. Beats the Thunder Dragonite, 3HKOing with Iron Tail while taking nothing. Can't beat the rest, Blizzard from Dragonite 2HKOes.

Chuck (30) : 2HKOes Primeape with Surf. Poliwrath is 5HKOed by MW Surf, outsped and only 5HKOes with Dynamic Punch. Mantine is favoured here tho it's not a guaranteed win due to confusion and Hypnosis.

Jasmine (30) : MW Surf seems to be a favourable range on Magneti and 2HKOes Steelix. Mantine wins here (and one more level should be enough to achieve an OHKO against Magnemite).

Pryce (30) : MW Surf 3HKOes Seel. Avoid Dewgong as it's only like 5HKOed by Surf and will outstall with Rest. Piloswine is a range for the OHKO with MW Surf but doesn't threaten so Mantine beats it easily.

Rival (32) : MW Surf OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes all but Meganium. It's better to avoid Golbat tho due to he hax involved and the fact it outspeeds. Anyway, Mantine should beat Haunter, Magnemite and Sneasel while GOlbat is luck reliant.

Clair (38) : NVI Blizzard OHKOes Dragonair. You have to hit tho and paralysis will make things way harder. KIngdra is too bulky and it'll easily outstall Blizzard PP.

Rival (40) : Avoid Magneton as it's 2HKOed only by MW Surf. 2HKOes Sneasel, Haunter, Kadabra and Golbat with MW Surf. Wing Attack 3HKOes Meganium. Mantine should beat Sneasel, Kadabra and Meganium reliably with Haunter being a problem due to Curse and Golbat outspeeding and possibly haxxing.

Will (40) : NVI Blizzard OHKOes Xatus and is a range on Exeggutor. The problem is that Xatus outspeed and can hax, added to the fact it's really hard to hit Blizzard through confusion. Still, Mantine should in the worst case, beats Xatu #1 and Exeggutor and can most of the time beat Xatu #2 as well.

Koga (40) : MW Surf 2HKOes Ariados, Venomoth and Forretress while Crobat is 3HKOed and Muk is 4HKOed. Muk rarely uses Sludge Bomb so Mantine should be able to take down Ariados, Venomoth, Forretress and Muk.

Bruno (41) : SP Wing Attack 3HKOes Hitmontop and 2HKOes Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee while Onix is outsped and OHKOed by Surf. Sadly, Mantine can't take a High Jump Kick from here and thus won't be able to beat the three hitmon and will only beat 2 of them as well as Onix.

Karen (41) : Just beats Houndoom 1v1, 2HKOing with Surf while taking 2 Crunch a it can't take 2 Crunch from Houndoom and a Feint Attack from Murkrow.

Lance (41) : Mantine doesn't take too much from the non-Thunder Dragonite and OHKOes with NVI Blizzard. Assuming paralysis doesn't hit hard, it can also beat Charizard, 2HKOing with Surf while not taking a lot from Wing Attack.

Rival (23) : Outspeed Haunter and it will get koed by Confusion after Curse. Avoid Magnemite. 2HKO Zubat with Confusion. Muscle through Bayleef with Poison Powder + Confusion. Pretty good and won't have any problem beating these 3.

Morty (25) : Venomoth OHKOes everything and Confusion OHKOes Gastly, 2HKOes Haunter and 3HKOes Gengar. It's a bit AI reliant (mostly Haunter #1 not using Curse) but a sweep is feasible and in the worst case Venomoth has high chances to beat 3 mons with a MintBerry.

Venomoth (Crystal)

Yeah, the Crystal version is good enough for D-tier. Honestly, Venomoth was pretty easy to train and easily caught up to the rest of the team levels by training in Lake of Rage and Route 42. Confusion from Venomoth has decent power and there are many Poison-types mon in the zone. The Morty fight was great and Venomoth has actually good chance to outright win and will at worst get 3 kos (Gastly, Gengar and Haunter #2). This, added to Venonat's performance is enough for D-tier. In contrast, Venonat had a bad Morty fight and was way harder to train due to being much weaker and that should be shown within ranks.

Espeon

This should be D-tier. Eevee was actually better than expected, it was fairly easy to train and even performed relatively well against Chuck, despite the type disadvantage and even Pryce where it could get 2HKOed. Evolving it was an annoying task tho and what I did was buying X-items so that I could use them against a hooked Magikarp. It's not hard to buy 40 of them as you only need Espeon at level 36 (so that it leans Psybeam) because it actually performs worse than Eevee against Pryce. Even then, Espeon was nothing spectacular. It was admitedly great for Will, Koga and Bruno but was kinda bad in other battles. Its lack of coverage means it struggles vs Rival for instance and outside of lucking against Chuck it didn't win a single gym leader fight. So, yeah D-tier is fine for it, it's annoying to evolve by happiness as it's costly and time-consuming and Espeon's performance was only good against the first 3 E4 member. Will is great to defeat but Bruno and especially Koga are usually easier so beating them isn't that signifiant.

Krabby

This should be D-tier as well. It was mostly decent (and I was surprised how Strength hits hard even on Krabby) but wasn't impressive either. Kingler's only true win was Pryce as Chuck was pretty luck-reliant (even though Kingler was still favored, it was far from a guaranteed win) and outside of them and Bruno, it was mostly bad most of the time, only getting 1/2 kos. Its E4 was especially bad an outside of Bruno, it was mostly useless (it's one of the very few things with a type neutrality that struggles against Koga for instance). Its main use was as HM utility, being able to use Surf, Strength and Whirlpool in the same moveset while still being useful in battles. C-tier seems a bit too high for it despite its HM utility because most important battles are quite frankly bad. Its performance was on par with Azumarill, both are HM utility mons that win against Pryce, with Kingler trading Fast growth rate for more power and better performance against Chuck.

Steelix

This was honestly the best Pokemon of the run but still might be only D-tier due to awkward availaibility, although I wouldn't mind C-tier. Getting a Metal Coat is awful as it's a held item on only 2% of Magnemite with them having a 20% encounter rate, meaning it's mandatory to use Thief. Catching Magnemite isn't the best thing to do due to its flee rate. It doens't matter to wait until Thief is available as Onix performs better than Steelix against Morty anyway. Onto performance, Steelix was mostly good and won easily against Jasmine and Koga, while being potent in other battles, defeating Pryce if Iron Tail hits and helping quite a bit against Will, Bruno and Lance. Performance-wise, I'd rate it overall as B-tier, being an early encounter that does extremly well in early game, with only Chuck and somehat Karen as unfavorable matchup. However, getting a Metal Coat is really time-consuming and really worsens Steelix. Also, Iron Tail misses quite a lot and Steelix being slow means it's prone to getting haxxed (mostly against Will) and can take time to train. So, yeah hesitating between D- and C-tier, leaning toward the fomer and some other opinions would be great (iirc Ryota was unsure too).

Mantine

This is C-tier worthy. Mantine pretty much only spams Surf and sometimes the unaccurate Blizzard. It won against Chuck most of the Pryce and Jasmine and contributed in every battle although sometimes to a limited degree. However, coming a bit late, Slow growth rate and shallow movepool hurts it. The accuracy problem were annoying but Mantine performs well against Clair and Lance assuming it hits. Honestly, not much else to say Mantine is just a Water-type that uses Surf like 95% of the time, has Blizzard for a good Clair and Lance performance and sometimes lacks power but still contributes enough to warrant C-tier.

Next run is going to be Scizor, Qwilfish, unevolved Staryu and unevolved Growlithe, expecting all of them to be D-tier.

I'll also load file of the run I just did to use Umbreon instead of Espeon to provide datas about it. I still don't expect much from it and it seems quite likely that it will go to E-tier. Its Bite should be weaker than Espeon's (meaning it also loses to Pryce) and except for possibly winning against Will (still not sure between Confuse Ray and Leech Seed), it doesn't seem to have much use. The only reason why Espeon deserves D-tier (and nothing higher as it's not helpful before Clair and evolving thorugh happiness takes lots of time) is that it has a ood Clair performance and E4 before Karen and I really don't expect the same for Umbreon.

Tested some Pokemon to verify what others were saying about them. These were Sentret, Tauros, Jynx, and Pinsir.

Sentret (12): QA 2HKOs Pidgey and 3HKOs Otto. They don't threaten you at all.

Furret (18): PB QA 2HKOs the cocoons and 4HKOs Scyther. Nothing threatens you. You could use Swift, but it is not needed at all (Plus with Headbutt coming up, you essentially use a TM to replace a TM)

Furret (19): Mud-Slap 2HKOs Gastly, PB QA 2HKOs Zubat and 4HKOs Lava

Pinsir (19): Spam Fury Cutter to win. You are gonna see this a lot. Clefairy is 3HKOd and Miltank takes the remaining two.

Furret (22): PB Headbutt is a 2HKO on Clefairy and a 3HKO on Miltank. You outspeed Miltank. There is no need for healing as it takes to Rollout 4 for you to be KO'd by it (Plus there is a chance you can flinch it)

Pinsir (19): Fury Cutter to 5 on Mags. This is a 5HKO on Mags, 2 HKO on Zubat and Lava at Cutter 5. You do nothing to Haunter.

Furret (23): Dig is a 2HKO on Haunter (It kills itself with Curse), 2HKO on Lava, and an OHKO on Mags. PB Headbutt is an OHKO on Zubat and a 2HKO on Lava as well. You sweep here and the Curse Damage is minimal since you outspeed everything.

Furret (26): Dig is an OHKO on everything barring Gengar who is a 2HKO. Use Mint Berry for the potential Hypnosis. You outspeed everyone here as well.

Pinsir (20): You have to get to Cutter 4 at least to start hurting a Gastly. You will die to Hax or Curse. Takes out 1 Gastly.

Furret (28-29): Return finally outpaces Headbutt by 6 points at Chuck. So, it has replaced Headbutt. PB Return is a 2HKO on Ape who does nothing to you really. Wrath is a 3HKO however it's DPunch is an OHKO on you.

Tauros (27-28): Friend Balled. PB Return 2HKOs both Ape and Wrath. Wrath will use Mind Reader instead of any other move. (Tested 3 times. Mind Reader was being used every time.)

Pinsir (27): Fury Cutter sweeps Chuck. Cutter to 4 on Ape which is a 4HKO and Wrath is 2HKO by Cutter 5. Pack Mint Berry in case of Hypnosis (Tends to Surf instead though)

Furret (29-30): Dig is an OHKO on Mags. Steelix is a bit interesting. You need to go +1 with DCurl to take an Iron Tail and then spam Surf. You 3HKO this way while Iron Tail goes from a 2HKO to a 4HKO (Range). You could go +2 on Curl but this requires healing, and she can just Screech you (gives you a free hit though). I also tested with Fire Punch, however you do far more with Surf due to its BP.

Tauros and Pinsir (27 and 28 respectively): You do nothing to a Magnemite, you expect me to take on a Steelix?

Pinsir (30-31): Fury Cutter obviously. Cutter 3HKOs Seel while Dewgong maxes out Cutter. Pilo is then OHKO'd. Optionally, you can use PB Strength which is a 2HKO on Seel and Dewgong while a 4HKO on Pilo (Potion is used). However, Blizzard is something to be wary of. It doesn't OHKO you, but it deals incredibly high damage. If you are unlucky enough to be hit by the Attack Drop from Aurora Beam, then you take an L (Though the attack drop needs the at least -2)

Furret (32): PB Return is an OHKO on Seel, 2HKO on Dewgong, and a 3-4HKO on Pilo. You easily sweep.

Tauros (31): PB Return OHKOs Seel and 2HKOs both Dewgong and Pilo. For some reason Pryce does not use a potion.

Pinsir (33): PB Strength 2HKOs Golbat, Lava, and Sneasel. Seismic Toss at this level also 2HKOs Mags. You do nothing to Haunter. Pinsir is also unable to sweep here as Lava comes out after Golbat and OHKOs you with Flame Wheel after Golbat's Wing Attack. You also have to contend with Confuse Ray BS so using Bitter Berry to deal with Golbat will be easier at least.

Furret (33-34): Have to use Bitter Berry here over PB. Ranges don't decrease at all. Return is a 2HKO on Golbat, Quilava, and Sneasel. Dig is an OHKO on Mags and Haunter. Easily Sweeps.

Tauros (33): You do nothing to Haunter. Use PRZCure instead of PB/Bitter. Golbat doesn't use Confuse Ray for some reason. Return is a 2HKO on Golbat and Mags, while OHKOing Lava and Sneasel

Jynx (33-34): Sweeps. Nevermeltice Ice Punch OHKOs all Nairs. You will need to Lovely Kiss Kingdra to take it out with Ice Punch Spam. You can take one Hyper Beam barely, though this is a range.

Pinsir (35): PRZCureberry. You take out a max of 2 Nairs or Kingdra. You cannot take on 3 Nairs. She has to miss every TWave to enable you to sweep with Cutter.

Tauros (35 (used two Candies to get to 37)): PB Return OHKOs all Nairs and 2HKOs Kingdra. This can ONLY be done at level 37 as 36 is a range on the Nairs.

Furret (36(Tested 37 and 38 ranges)): Takes out all Nairs or Kingdra but not all. It CAN be done however all TWaves need to miss you. Return is a 2HKO on all Nairs and a 3HKO on Kingdra who 3HKOs back with Surf.

Furret (38-39): Sweeps. You need to use Bitter Berry for the Confuse Ray. Return OHKOs Sneasel and Kadabra only, while 2HKOing Typh and Golbat. Haunter and Magneton are OHKOed by Dig.

Tauros (37-38): Sweeps as well. Use Bitter Berry for the Confuse Ray. It performs the exact same as Furret in this fight. EQ for the record is still a 2HKO on Typh (Being compared to Return), while OHKOing Mags and Haunter

Jynx (37-38): Takes out everyone except Typh. Use PRZCureberry for Magneton. Sneasel and Magneton are 3-4HKOed by Ice Punch while Haunter and Kadabra are 2HKOed. Golbat is OHKOd.

Pinsir (37-38): You only take out Sneasel, Kadabra, and Golbat. PB Strength is a 2HKO on Golbat and Sneasel. OHKO on Kadabra. You take too much damage to effectively take on Magneton. You don't touch Haunter and Typh just OHKOs with Flame Wheel.

Pinsir (40): Takes out 4/5. You 2HKO both Xatus with PB Strength. You need to use Cutter though on Jynx with Mint Berry to start it off. Jynx is 3HKOd by it, Xatu (42) is OHKOd by Cutter 4 and the rest fall as trying to start on Xatu (40) gets you KO'd from Xatu (42).

Furret (40); It's first hard loss (not sweeping): PB Return 2HKOs Xatus and Eggs, 3-4HKOs Bro, and OHKOs Jynx. At most you will take out Jynx and a Xatu since Eggs and Bro are too bulky.

Tauros (40): Fares slightly better than Furret taking out one extra mon. Use Bitter Berry as Xatu will hit with a Confuse Ray. Return is a 2HKO on both Xatus and Eggs. Jynx is OHKOd. Bro just walls you and Eggs take a hit and finishes you off.

Jynx (40-41): Ice Punch Nevermeltice OHKOs Xatus and Eggs. Jynx and Slowbro wall you to an extent (though you can Lovely Kiss Will's Jynx and beat the crap out of it that way)

Jynx (41): Struggles here actually. Ariados, Venomoth, and Crobat are all 2HKOd by Ice Punch Nevermeltice. It cannot touch Forretress nor Muk. The former just walls it and Muk OHKOs with Sludge Bomb.

Tauros (41): Takes out 4/5 (Thanks to the bagworm. I could grab Fire Blast but that's niche as hell and only used for Forretress since you won't have it by Jasmine realistically.) PB Return is a 2HKO range on Ariados actually but being at 42 removes this. Venomoth is OHKOd, Crobat 2HKOd, and Muk is 2HKOd by EQ (did not test Return but would assume the same).

Furret (40): Being 42 doesn't do much in decreasing Ranges. You have the same at 40 too. Does better than Tauros actually and sweeps all of Koga. PB Return is a 2HKO on Ariados, Venomoth, Muk, and Crobat. Fire Punch is a 2HKO on Forretress.

Pinsir (40): Takes out 3/5. While it CAN take out Crobat, depends on Double Team not screwing you over honestly. PB Strength is a 2HKO on Ariados and Venomoth only. Muk and Crobat are a 3HKO. You do nothing to Forretress.

Pinsir (40-42): Takes out 3/5 here. PB Strength 2HKOs Top and Chan while Submission takes out Onix in a 2HKO. Machamp is a 3HKO and I would assume a 2HKO on Lee. Cutter won't work here since Top used Protect to stop it thus resetting it.

Tauros (40-42): Can sweep, but Machamp has to miss Cross Chop. You also need to use EQ on Top since it Digs after a Return. PB Return is an OHKO on Lee and a 2HKO on Chan and Machamp. Onix is 2HKO by EQ

Jynx (43): Takes out 3/5 as well before damage becomes too much for it. Ice Punch 2HKOs Top, Chan, Champ, and Lee. OHKOs Onix.

Furret (42): Same as a majority. Takes out 3/5. PB Return 2HKOs Top (you can use DCurl on the Dig Turn), Chan, OHKOs Lee, and is a 3HKO on Champ. Onix is a 2-3HKO with Dig.

Tauros (43): Since Umbreon can Confuse you and Plume can paralyze you, it becomes a preference on what to use. I went with PRZCure since Speed is more important (and Umbreon sometimes doesn't pick Confuse Ray). Return is a 3HKO on Umbreon only. Return is then a 2HKO on Plume and Doom (Though EQ is better for Doom). EQ is an OHKO on Gengar while Return is an OHKO on Murkrow. Sweeps, but shaky.

Pinsir (43): Almost sweeps. Use Bitter Berry just in case (though PRZ might be better). Use SD on Umbreon and hit it with a Submission for an OHKO. Doom is OHKO'd by Return or Strength as is Murkrow. Plume is a range oddly enough but is mostly OHKOd by Return as well. Gengar ends you by using Curse and you can only hit is with Cutter. Optionally you can try to go to a +4 but that's overkill.

Jynx (43): It sweeps but you need to use Lovely Kiss on Umbreon and Doom. Doom will in fact require two at the least. Ice Punch is a 3-4HKO on Umbreon, 2HKOs Gengar, while OHKOing Plume and Murkrow. Doom is just a slugfest honestly and there is no real method of beating it easily.

Furret (43): Sweeps though it can be shaky. Use PRZCure to retain your speed. Return is a 3HKO on Umbreon only. Return then OHKOs Murkrow while 2HKOing Plume and Doom. Gengar is 2HKO by Dig but you need to be very careful of Destiny Bond. She uses it rarely, but it is there.

I used 4 Candies since this is the end of test.

Jynx (45): Ice Punch 2HKOs Gyarados and Zard. OHKOs all Nites. You don't outspeed Aero who OHKOs you with Rock Slide. Gyarados opens with Rain Dance which neuters Zard's Flamethrower.

Tauros (44): Takes out 5/6 mons at best, 4/6 at worst. Use PRZCure Berry for TWave. Return 2HKOs pretty much everything not named Aero. Zard will hit you with a Flamethrower which brings you to low Yellow where Level 50 Nite finishes you off. You outspeed everything not named Aero.

Furret (44): Worse than Tauros here. Return is a 2HKO on Gyarados however it 3HKOs all Nites who spam TWave till it works (Use PRZCure to at least take one Nite out). You do nothing to Aero and you are outsped as well. Zard is a 2HKO from Return

Pinsir (44): Can't set up SD here as Aero comes out to scare you out. Return is a 2HKO on Gyara (range) even after an SD. Zard is a 2HKO and the Nites just have their way with you

Furret: B Tier with a lean on A. While it has an absolutely dominating performance for a good majority of the game, it drops this ball slowly and a lot of KO Ranges go up by 1 which actually does cost it. By the time the League rolls around, you are at your worst pmuch. While it does sweep a good chunk of the League, it actually doesn't feel like an A Tier, though it performs much like on until the very end of the game.

Tauros: A Tier. Friend Ball Return gives you Auto KOs on Mooks making it relatively easy to train and bring up. While it doesn't have as many MUs as Furret, it more than makes up with its sheer power and even outshines Furret at points (though Furret outshines it as points as well). All you really need is to invest Return and EQ and Tauros takes care of the rest.

Jynx: C tier with a lean on B. Honestly speaking, it's very powerful. But only when Ice Punch isn't resisted. The lack of Psychic severely hurts Jynx's perfomance in GSC. It can sweep some of the hardest MUs such as Clair and most of Lance which might be too good for C Tier. It also pulls its weight across the League, but it is definitely underwhelming at points when you can't hit Ice Punch neutrally. You also need to train it up quite a bit since you can only get a Level 22 in Crystal (24 in GS) so you would need to skip all the trainers on the route prior to Ice Path.

Pinsir: D Tier. A lot of factors play into this despite have a C tier performance imo. Obviously, you need to catch one from the Catching Contest. The next issue is the overreliance on Fury Cutter to get sweeps in Gym 3 and 5 (Chuck). After this though, Cutter kind of fades away as hax becomes more prevalent and you need more immediate power which Pinsir lacks despite its huge Attack Stat. Other Factors include that Return is one of its best moves, but you aren't seeing a respectable power on it until League unless you go out of your way to get friendship boosted. So, you are stuck with Strength for the entirety of the game. Probably the worst factor is when it can't do anything. This shows up quite a fair bit. Tauros shared this issue, but Tauros has power enough to ignore this issue as well and most issues it WOULD have had were rectified by slapping EQ on him.

The mons mentioned here in other verdicts are being used to get a point across since I needed something to compare them to.

These will be place next week so get your current tests/future tests involving them done. Next up on the list are: Onix (Trade, Union Cave), Mantine, Caterpie, and Drowzee (Retest)

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure Tauros on A is very convincing - setting aside comparisons with Furret, the Slow leveling rate makes it need a lot of experience to catch up since it arrives at Lv13 post Whitney (edit: I remembered it's Lv15, but it's still underleveled), and aiming to catch it with the Friend Ball makes the low level even more of an issue. A lot of the logs also seem to indicate that Tauros requires the Rare Candies to keep up on par with the other team members, and the levels of the team members at other points of the game suggests to me as well that keeping Tauros up on equal levels comes at the cost of others' team members performance. There is also the Jasmine battle where it can't do much, and Morty would have also been a really bad match-up but I suppose it's not taken into account given that you're rating Friend Ball Tauros. Ultimately it seems that while Tauros has really good stats, circumstances such as the low level and Slow leveling rate make it require a lot of preference to be A Tier

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure Tauros on A is very convincing - setting aside comparisons with Furret, the Slow leveling rate makes it need a lot of experience to catch up since it arrives at Lv13 post Whitney, and aiming to catch it with the Friend Ball makes the low level even more of an issue. A lot of the logs also seem to indicate that Tauros requires the Rare Candies to keep up on par with the other team members, and the levels of the team members at other points of the game suggests to me as well that keeping Tauros up on equal levels comes at the cost of others' team members performance. There is also the Jasmine battle where it can't do much, and Morty would have also been a really bad match-up but I suppose it's not taken into account given that you're rating Friend Ball Tauros
Rare Candies were only used at Clair and on (I also forgot to fight some trainers done the Drak Cave Route). I wouldn’t say it really impacts the team as much as you think since most teams have mons around the levels I did at the League. Additionally, Tauros is straight up obscene with Friend Ball Return and doesn’t need as many levels as the others. Tauros at lower levels performed better than Pinsir (who has a higher attack stat) and Furret (who tended to be a higher level) at times as well when it was able. If anything Jynx actually ate the most levels off the team since I had to get it 11 levels to be on par with everyone else which was almost all the trainers and some wilds. The entire Gym was eaten by Jynx essentially. As I pointed out, even at level 13, it just straight up OHKOs any mook around it thus giving it no issue catching up and allowing it to be on par relatively faster and not eating as much XP from the team as, for an example, an early game Poliwag.

The level ranges you see are actually where it ends at from the fight. If you don’t see a range, then it’s implied I didn’t level. I did okay at letting you know if I used Candies (however I slipped at League. Will didn’t use any, Koga used 1, Bruno 2, Karen 3, and Lance 4.)

While I get the Friend Ball argument, that is actually what bars it from any chance at S tier. Jasmine could be done if you had Fire Blast but that’s incredibly niche option and would be used only on Steel Types which would be Jasmine, Rival’s Magneton, and Koga’s Forretress. It would most likely not be available by Jasmine. (however it might be.)

Time for another log!

Chuck:

Furret (L31) -> You outspeed Primeape and fall just short of an OHKO with PB Strength. Karate Chop only 3HKOs you barring a crit. Primeape usually Leers. Poliwrath? You outspeed and PB Strength 3HKOs but Dynamicpunch OHKOes you if it hits (it did) after a Leer or Karate Chop. Winnable technically, but you need to get a bit lucky and I lost on all 3 tries (but won on a 4th try because Dynamicpunch kept missing) technically. C-tier.

Graveler (L30) ->Primeape outpaces but usually starts with Leer, allowing me to set up Defense Curl. Their next move is Fury Swipes usually (lol) which does pitiful damage. After that, they may use Karate Chop once (does not even 2HKO, seems like a 4HKO actually barring admittedly likely crits) before Leering again. Curlout 3HKOs. Poliwrath outpaces and OHKOes you with Surf. D-tier at best; Primeape is easy to beat but Poliwrath is impassable.

Pryce:

Furret (L32, L33 after Dewgong) -> PB Strength usually OHKOs Seel and outpaces. PB Strength usually 2HKOs Dewgong and outpaces unless Icy Winded by Seel. Aurora Beam in return does not even 4HKO you and neither does Headbutt. PB Strength usually 2HKOs Piloswine (3HKOs with Hyper Potion or Rest taken into account and outpaces). Even crit Blizzard after Aurora Beam from Dewgong does not OHKO you and 4-turn Fury Attack doesn't even 2HKO after A-Beam. A-tier as some healing may be needed because of Blizzard, Icy Wind, or low rolls; not super likely though.

Graveler (L32) -> Outpace Seel and 2HKO after Curlout unless speed drop; Icy Wind and Aurora Beam 3-4HKO. Piloswine gets outpaced and destroyed by 3rd turn Curlout (yes, Pryce sent Piloswine in next). Dewgong outpaces and OHKOes you with Aurora Beam even after only one Icy Wind or Aurora Beam. C-tier, as a bit luck dependent with speed drops and/or Rollout misses and Dewgong kills you, no soloing here and no beating Dewgong 1-on-1 either.

Jasmine:

Furret (L33) - Outpace and OHKO Magnemite with Dig reliably. Outpace Steelix...and that's the end of everything good for you. Dig doesn't even 3HKO (or 4HKO Steelix from the looks of it), and Jasmine has a Hyper Potion. Iron Tail reliably 2HKOes you in return. You need Dig just to reliably beat Magnemites without damage and/or paralysis at best, and even then cannot beat Steelix. Curlout does pitiful damage to Steelix and very difficult to setup against Lix or Magnets, the latter of whom can then spam Thunder Wave and/or Supersonic at you.

But...if you teach Furret Surf (but hold onto Dig), the fight goes quite differently. Surf, in my case, reliably 2HKOed Steelix while Iron Tail did the same back to me; except Iron Tail has a fair chance of missing and I'm faster. Surprisingly, Furret can sweep, and reliably...but only with Dig + Surf. I had to give up Defense Curl in order to make room, sadly, but I can relearn it before the E4, and at this point Curlout is kinda unhelpful due to all the Rock-type resists and stat move users burgeoning in the midgame; just look at the last two Gym Leaders.

A-tier, surprisingly, if you account for Surf and Dig. Might even be S if not for Dig being a competitive TM and an improbable Iron Tail crit OHKO.

Graveler (L32) - Outpace and OHKO Magnemite with Dig. Steelix is a no and OHKOes you with Iron Tail, while Dig only 4HKOes in return (7HKOes if you account for the Hyper Potion). Curlout 2HKOes Magnemite and CAN eventually kill Steelix if he misses two Iron Tails or you crit. Unlike Furret, Graveler can destroy Mites with naturally learned Magnitude and do a little better against Steelix, so C-tier instead of D. Maybe Golem does better? A Bitter Berry or Hard Stone is advised.

Graveler Verdict so far: B -> C

Furret Verdict
so far: A -> A/B (leaning in favor of A)

Last edited:
Time for another log!

Chuck:

Furret (L31) -> You outspeed Primeape and fall just short of an OHKO with Strength. Karate Chop only 3HKOs you barring a crit. Primeape usually Leers. Poliwrath? You outspeed and Strength 3HKOs but Dynamicpunch OHKOes you if it hits (it did) after a Leer or Karate Chop. Winnable technically, but you need to get a bit lucky and I lost on all 3 tries (but won on a 4th try because Dynamicpunch kept missing) technically. C-tier.

Graveler (L30) ->Primeape outpaces but usually starts with Leer, allowing me to set up Defense Curl. Their next move is Fury Swipes usually (lol) which does pitiful damage. After that, they may use Karate Chop once (does not even 2HKO, seems like a 4HKO actually barring admittedly likely crits) before Leering again. Curlout 3HKOs. Poliwrath outpaces and OHKOes you with Surf. D-tier at best; Primeape is easy to beat but Poliwrath is impassable.

Pryce:

Furret (L32, L33 after Dewgong) -> Strength usually OHKOs Seel and outpaces. Strength usually 2HKOs Dewgong and outpaces unless Icy Winded by Seel. Aurora Beam in return does not even 4HKO you and neither does Headbutt. Strength usually 2HKOs Piloswine (3HKOs with Hyper Potion or Rest taken into account and outpaces). Even crit Blizzard after Aurora Beam from Dewgong does not OHKO you and 4-turn Fury Attack doesn't even 2HKO after A-Beam. A-tier as some healing may be needed because of Blizzard, Icy Wind, or low rolls; not super likely though.

Graveler (L32) -> Outpace Seel and 2HKO after Curlout unless speed drop; Icy Wind and Aurora Beam 3-4HKO. Piloswine gets outpaced and destroyed by 3rd turn Curlout (yes, Pryce sent Piloswine in next). Dewgong outpaces and OHKOes you with Aurora Beam even after only one Icy Wind or Aurora Beam. C-tier, as a bit luck dependent with speed drops and/or Rollout misses and Dewgong kills you, no soloing here and no beating Dewgong 1-on-1 either.

Rock Throw GG on Metapod, but both cocoons outpace and both can actually take a hit if they Harden. Fury Cutter doesnt even OHKO you or 3HKO for that matter but Rock Throw OHKOes Scyther. Sometimes Bugsy sends Scyther in after Metapod, sometimes Kakuna. No change in outcomes. S tier.

Jasmine:

Furret (L33) - Outpace and OHKO Magnemite with Dig reliably. Outpace Steelix...and that's the end of everything good for you. Dig doesn't even 3HKO (or 4HKO Steelix from the looks of it), and Jasmine has a Hyper Potion. Iron Tail reliably 2HKOes you in return. You need Dig just to reliably beat Magnemites without damage and/or paralysis at best, and even then cannot beat Steelix. Curlout does pitiful damage to Steelix and very difficult to setup against Lix or Magnets, the latter of whom can then spam Thunder Wave and/or Supersonic at you.

But...if you teach Furret Surf (but hold onto Dig), the fight goes quite differently. Surf, in my case, reliably 2HKOed Steelix while Iron Tail did the same back to me; except Iron Tail has a fair chance of missing and I'm faster. Surprisingly, Furret can sweep, and reliably...but only with Dig + Surf. I had to give up Defense Curl in order to make room, sadly, but I can relearn it before the E4, and at this point Curlout is kinda unhelpful due to all the Rock-type resists and stat move users burgeoning in the midgame; just look at the last two Gym Leaders.

A-tier, surprisingly, if you account for Surf and Dig. Might even be S if not for Dig being a competitive TM and an improbable Iron Tail crit OHKO.

Graveler (L32) - Outpace and OHKO Magnemite with Dig. Steelix is a no and OHKOes you with Iron Tail, while Dig only 4HKOes in return (7HKOes if you account for the Hyper Potion). Curlout 2HKOes Magnemite and CAN eventually kill Steelix if he misses two Iron Tails or you crit. Unlike Furret, Graveler can destroy Mites with naturally learned Magnitude and do a little better against Steelix, so C-tier instead of D. Maybe Golem does better? A Bitter Berry or Hard Stone is advised.

Geodude Verdict so far: B -> C

Furret Verdict
so far: A -> A/B (leaning in favor of A)
Furret around Chuck should have Return however that’s a pretty dependent factor as well as it is determined by how much you’ve taken care of Furret. I only beat Strength by 6 points at this time. As for Jasmine, Surf is a 3HKO on Steelix and thus it sweeps Jasmine. (and really Furret’s end movepool is Return, Dig, Filler, Filler. So you could fit Surf on there. However DCurl is very nice for the Jasmine MU and Bruno. Though Surf is only used once too.)

Outside of that, good logs.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Rare Candies were only used at Clair and on (I also forgot to fight some trainers done the Drak Cave Route). I wouldn’t say it really impacts the team as much as you think since most teams have mons around the levels I did at the League. Additionally, Tauros is straight up obscene with Friend Ball Return and doesn’t need as many levels as the others. Tauros at lower levels performed better than Pinsir (who has a higher attack stat) and Furret (who tended to be a higher level) at times as well when it was able. If anything Jynx actually ate the most levels off the team since I had to get it 11 levels to be on par with everyone else which was almost all the trainers and some wilds. The entire Gym was eaten by Jynx essentially. As I pointed out, even at level 13, it just straight up OHKOs any mook around it thus giving it no issue catching up and allowing it to be on par relatively faster and not eating as much XP from the team as, for an example, an early game Poliwag.

The level ranges you see are actually where it ends at from the fight. If you don’t see a range, then it’s implied I didn’t level. I did okay at letting you know if I used Candies (however I slipped at League. Will didn’t use any, Koga used 1, Bruno 2, Karen 3, and Lance 4.)

While I get the Friend Ball argument, that is actually what bars it from any chance at S tier. Jasmine could be done if you had Fire Blast but that’s incredibly niche option and would be used only on Steel Types which would be Jasmine, Rival’s Magneton, and Koga’s Forretress. It would most likely not be available by Jasmine. (however it might be.)
Just curious: how long did it take you to successfully catch Tauros in a Friend Ball? As in, how long did you spend acquiring the Apricorn, back-tracking to Azalea, acquiring the ball (I can only assume you did time manipulation for this and didn't wait for the day to roll over in real-time), returning to Route 38, encountering Tauros through its un-Repel-able 4-5% encounter rate, and successfully catching it through its inherent 45 catch rate with your single Friend Ball?

Just curious: how long did it take you to successfully catch Tauros in a Friend Ball? As in, how long did you spend acquiring the Apricorn, back-tracking to Azalea, acquiring the ball (I can only assume you did time manipulation for this and didn't wait for the day to roll over in real-time), returning to Route 38, encountering Tauros through its un-Repel-able 4-5% encounter rate, and successfully catching it through its inherent 45 catch rate with your single Friend Ball?
I hexed it in as I know the issues of waiting on a Friend Ball. However it didn’t take me long to actually encounter and catch it (first try actually). Tauros pays this back in an absurd way as demonstrated by other testers.

Due to the inefficiency of the entire thing of catching Tauros in a Friend Ball, it puts Tauros in B initially, however, it begins to just nuke a whole of mons and quickly rises to A for me personally.

Due to the nature of Friend Ball, mons who require Friend Ball will be penalized slightly. If factors allow it to rise or fall, then it will do so.

It must be noted that a player doesn't have to own only one Friend Ball in Crystal since you can produce multiple ones there in a single day, although you still have to use time manipulation more than once. Regardless, that means you can have higher chances to have your desired mon into a Friend Ball

Also, I posted logs on Tauros in the previous thread taking into account its leveling rate. The results are here, here and here, although it wasn't a Friend Ball Tauros. The conclusion I got from it was that the leveling rate neutered Tauros's stats to a performance similar to other Normal-type mons with a better leveling rate

I have the same opinion as Xator_Nova on Tauros. Tauros is obviously great and while I can get A-tier (and even hesitated when I posted about it), it would fit better B-tier I think. It only comes at mid-game and actually struggles in some gyms, like it can't hope to do something against Morty nor Jasmine (unless you use Surf for Steelix but you still lose to Magnemite). It's great for sweeping Chuck (I had the same experience and Tauros wins like 90-95% of the time) and Pryce and it has a good E4 performance. However, the slow growth rate hinders it because it makes training it more time-consuming.

Imo, Furret should either be a tier above or in the same tier as Tauros as it's available way earlier and wins against the first 4 gyms. While Falkner isn't important, winning against Bugsy (which can prove to be difficult), Morty (important due to the hax involved) and especially Whitney (easily the most important battle alongside Clair and Lance). Afterwards, while slightly worse, Furret has a pretty similar performance to Tauros, possibly winning against Chuck, doing a lot against Clair and a relatively worse E4 performance (tho Karen and Lance are about the same really). Against Lance Curlout should ko 3 mons, which is more than fine honestly. Also, Miltank should either be a tier above or in the same tier as Tauros as it wins against Morty thanks to Curlout and has the same performance otherwise.

Otherwise, here are the logs :

Pryce (32) : Same as Espeon really for the Seel line, Bite/Headbutt 3HKOes Seel and only 4HKOes Dewgong which will outstall PPs with Rest. Piloswine is only 5HKOed by Bite and while it may flinch, it also has a Hyper Potion. Blizzard only 5HKOes and flinches help beating it but it's not 100% reliable. Alright matchup, Umbreon can beat Seel and Piloswine but will struggle against Dewgong.

Rival (33) : Golbat is outsped and 4HKOed by Bite but Umbreon will struggle beating it due to Confuse Ray. Magnemite is beatable but between paralysis and only 4HKOing it takes quite some time and it's not consistent. Meganium is 5HKOed by Bite but Body Slam does quite a lot and para is bond to happen or Poison Powder first turn means Umbreon will lose to repeated Body Slam. 3HKOes Sneasel with Headbutt which can't do much back. 2HKOes Haunter with Bite. Honestly, Umbreon is pretty bad as it only beats reliably Sneasel and Haunter and getting another ko isn't guaranteed (and may mean a loss to Sneasel Quick Attack) due to the luck involved and takes lots of time.

Clair (38) : Dark Glasses Feint Attack 3HKOes Dragonair on range (which seems favorable). However, Dragonair is going to paralyse which makes things way harder. It takes 8 hits to kill Umbreon. I tried this several times and Umbreon is able most of the time to take 2 Dragonair and beating the 3 requires insane luck (i.e not getting para and Slam missing) while it sometimes happen to lose to the second Dragonair. Kingdra is 5HKOed by Feint Attack. It likes to spam Smokescreen (and Feint Attack is great in that regard). It really depends on the AI as it usually takes 9 Feint Attack to ko Kingdra. It's also possible to win if Kingdra uses Hyper Beam as the 4th move as it won't be able to heal due to recharge turn. Surf is going to 4HKO and if Kingdra starts attacking, it's usually a loss. Also, usually when Kingdra starts using Smokescreen on the first turn, then it will keep spamming the move, resulting in a win. Overall, pretty bad battle, Umbreon beats 2 Dragonair like 60% of the time and Kingdra half the time but it takes lots of time and it's incredibly luck-reliant.

Rival (40) : 3HKOes Sneasel with 2 Headbutt + Quick Attack while it can't do much back. Speed tie with Golbat and Feint Attack only 4HKOes (very close to the 3HKO but doesn't seem to be a range). You have to be wary tho as if Sneasel uses Screech, Golbat is likely to win as Wing Attack will do a lot. Avoid Magneton due to Thunder Wave + Supersonic (it's beatable but luck-reliant). Feint Attack OHKOes Kadabra and Haunter even tho both outspeeds. Meganium is 5HKOed by Feint Attack and while Body Slam doesn't do too much, paralysis is annoying. Honestly, this fight was pretty bad. It requires Sneasel not using Screech to defeat Golbat, not facing Haunter before Meganium (as otherwise Curse means it can't defeat it). Meganium itself isn't even a guaranteed win (even though Umbreon is favored) due to Body Slam. Umbreon only truely defeats the free Pokemon (Sneasel, Haunter and Kadabra) and struggles according to the team order against Meganium, which requires gettng lucky 1v1. It's obviously bad considering the battle is easy most of the time and achieveing 3-4 kills is definitely not a good performance.

Will (41) : BG Feint Attack/Bite 2HKOes Xatus and Exeggutor while Jynx and Slowbro are 3HKOed (4/5HKOed after Amnesia as it's a range). Xatus should be defeated without any problem as well as Exeggutor. Xatu using Confuse Ray is annoying but they barely do damages, Umbreon can get hittled down by hitting itself with confusion tho. Exeggutor isn't a problem and mostly goes for Reflect (like 75% of the time) or Egg Bomb which doesn't do too much. Jynx was a true nightmare for Umbreon. Lovely Kiss makes things way harder, Ice Punch does a lot, doing 21%. It may not seem a lot but between sleep, self-hitting and Quick Attack and only 3HKOing, Umbreon will struggle against Jynx. Slowbro is a bit annoying due to Curse and Body Slam. I reset several times and Umbreon should beat both Xatu and Exeggutor nearly all the time and those 3 + Slowbro like 1/3 of the time. Jynx is nearly impossible to get through unless Umbreon solos it. This is pretty bad as despite being a Dark type against a Psychic-type specialist, Umbreon struggles to even defeat 4 mons.

Koga (42) : BG Feint Attack 3HKOes Ariados and is a range for the 3HKO on Venomoth. Forretress is impossible to get through (it would like nearly stallout all PPs and kill with Explosion). Muk is 6HKOed by Feint Attack while it 4HKOes with Sludge Bomb (most likely 3HKOes due to damages taken before). Crobat is 5HKOed by Feint Attack. The thing is Umbreon takes way too much time to kill someting and Venomoth/Muk/Crobat have Toxic. Most of the time, it's possible to take on both Ariados and Venomoth (even though Super Sonic is really annoying) but not more. Venomoth will get 4 turns to use Toxic, which is most likely going to happen. It's sometimes possible to beat Ariados + Muk but far from guaranteed and really AI reliant. Umbreon was really bad here and it takes forever to just beat 2 mons that are defeated by almost everything.

Bruno (42) : 4HKOes Hitmontop with Headbutt, while taking like 35 with 3 Dig. Hitmonlee 2HKOes with High Jump Kick + Double Kick and is 3HKOed by Headbutt. Hitmonchan is 3HKOed by Headbutt. Machamp nearly OHKOes with Cross Chop. Onix is outsped and 2HKOed by Bite. At full health, Hitmonlee often goes for Swagger, which means it gets 2HKOed by Headbutt+Quick Attack and then Hitmonchan can't ko while Umbreon can barely take 2 Mach Punch. It's still not reliable tho. The only consistent way Umbreon can achieve something is to take down Hitmontop/Hitmonchan + Onix. Assuming Umbreon isn't at full health, Hitmonlee is going to attack and even then, Swagger makes things harder. Obviously, it's a bad matchup.

Karen (42) : Defeating opposite Umbreon is possible but takes forever (like 12-15 turns) with 11 moves (Headbutt in the begening and Feint Attack after Double Team). Vileplume should be beaten as Umbreon 5HKOes it with Bite while Petal Dance 6HKOes, even though paralysis makes things harder. Murkrow is 3HKOed by Headbutt and doesn't do too much back. Houndoom 3HKOes with Flamethrower and is only 4HKOed by Headbutt. 3HKOes Gengar with Bite. It's possible to take down Umbreon + Murkrow + Gengar but it really takes forever. Alternatively, beating Vileplume +Gengar or Murkrow + Gengar is feasible. Not a good matchup, Umbreon can beat the opposite one but it takes way too much time and Gengar is usually free and Murkrow isn't much of a threat anyway.

Lance (42) : Umbreon only 6HKOes Gyarados, which will ko back with Rain boosted Surf, Flail and Hyper Beam. It's not getting through a Dragonite without insane luck either as it takes like 8 hits to ko them, they are going to use Thunder Wave. Twister 8HKOes but it's impossible to hit due to flinch chance and para and Hyper Beam 2HKOes. Aerodactyl 5HKOes with Rock Slide/Ancient Power and is only 5HKOed itself and use haxxy moves (Rock Slide and Ancient Power). Charizard 3HKOes with Flamethrower and is only 5HKOed so it's going to win even if Ran was somehow up. Umbreon beats nothing here.

Rival (22) as a Scyther : Pursuit 2HKOes Haunter after Curse, avoid Magnemite. 3 Fury Cutter kills Bayleef and 2 Headbutt is enough for Zubat.

Rival (22) as a Scizor 2HKOes Haunter after Curse with Pursuit. Avoid Magnemite. 2HKOes Zubat with Quick Attack. Easily muscle through Bayleef with 3 Fury Cutter while taking nothing back.

Morty (25) as a Scyther : 2HKOes Gastly with Pursuit. Haunter 1 is a range for the 2HKO and Haunter 2 is 3HKOed. Gengar is 5HKOed so it's better to avoid it. Bad matchup considering Curse and Scyther should only take at most Gastly and a Haunter.

Morty (25) as a Scizor : Outspeed only Gastly, which gets OHKOed by Pursuit after Curse. Haunter #1 is 2HKOed by Pursuit but will most likely win due to Curse and 2 Night Shade +2 Curse will ko. Scizor can then take on Haunter #2, 3HKOing with Pursuit, while barely living 3 Night Shade. It's possible to beat Gastly + both Haunter if Gastly goes for Lick but it's unlilely (not to mention para mkes things harder). Gengar is impossible to take on as Pursut only 4HKOes while Dream Eater itself 4HKOes and will restore health.

Chuck (30) : Metal Claw 2HKOes Primeape. Poliwrath is outsped and 3HKOed by Headbutt while Dynamic Punch only 3HKOes itself. Confusion is annoying but between outspeeding, flinches from Headbutt and DynamicPunch missing, Scizor is favored to win here.

Jasmine (30) : Nop.

Pryce (30) : PB Headbut 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong. Metal Claw 2HKOes Piloswine. Fury Cutter also works here. Either way, Scizor wins as it easily takes hits and is quick at koing foes.

Rival (33) : PB Heabutt 2HKOes Golbat (watch out for Confuse Ray tho as it outspeeds). Metal Claw OHKOes Sneasel, 2HKOes Haunter (who surprisingly uses Shadow Ball) and 3HKOes Meganium. Pretty good as Scizor beats 3 mons and 4 if confusion doesn't hurt too much.

Clair (38) : Scizor outspeeds and 2HKOes Dragonair with Metal Claw. With a PRZCureBerry, it's really easy to defeat the 3 of them as they barely threaten even with Surf/Thunderbolt. Kingdra 2HKOes with Surf tho and is like 4HKOed by Headbutt so Scizor is losing to it.

Rival (40) : OHKOes Sneasel, Haunter and Kadabra with Metal Claw. 2HKOes Golbat with it. Avoid Magneton. Can easily take on Meganium. The only problem is that if Haunter uses Curse, then Meganium will beat Scizor due to Reflect. Still, Scizor should beat Sneasel, Kadabra, Golbat and Meganium.

Will (42) : Equip MintBerry. SD once against Xatu, OHKOes both with Return. Then, OHKO Jynx with Return. Exeguttor is 2HKOed and SLowbro is 3HKOed as it goes for Curse. Scizor can possibly sweep but Confuse Ray and Jynx using Lovely Kiss makes things way harder.

Koga (42) : SD three time on Ariados and Scizor will OHKO everything, except for Forretress that is 2HKOed. Easy win.

Bruno (43) : SD twice and Agility once. Metal Claw will OHKO everything and Scizor will outspeed everything. Hitmontop does nothing so Scizor has no problems setting up on it.

Karen (43) : Setting up here is hard as Umbreon will spamm Sand Attack. It's possible to set up on Murkrow 2 SD and an Agility and outspeed and OHKO everything from there with +4 PB Return.

Lance (43) : Set up 2 Swords Dance and an Agility against Gyarados, barely living 2 rain boosted Surf and OHKO Gyarados and Chaizard with PB Return. But then, the level 50 Dragonite comes and lives the +4 Return and OHKO back. Oherwise, by healing and setting up 3 SD and an Agility, Scizor wins.

Rival (22) : 2HKOes Haunter, Magnemite and Zubat with Surf. Curse is annoying but Qwilfish can live Thundershock + Curse so it can beat Haunter+ Magnemite or Haunter+Zubat.

Morty (25) : Outspeed and OHKOes Gastly with Surf while Haunter are 2HKOed. Gengar is 3HKOed by Surf. It's possible to try to use Minimize on Haunter #1 which almost always goes for Night Shade or Hypnosis but Night Shade 4HKOes, Hypnosis means taking lots of damages/getting koed and as Gengar outspeeds, it will have plenty of time to attack (and Dream Eater OHKOes). Still, pretty good as Qwilfish beats Gastly and both Haunter., assuming first one doesn't use Hypnosis.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed and OHKOes Primeape with Poison Barb Sludge Bomb while Poliwrath is 2HKOed. Qwilfish resists Suf and DynamicPunch and will have no trouble defeating Poliwrath. Clean win.

Jasmine (30) : MW Surf doesn't OHKO Magnemite which koes back with Thunderbolt. Qwilfish will 1v1 Steelix, 2HKOing with Surf. Even if it uses Sunny Day, while Surf won't 2HKO, Qwilfish will easily take on Steelix, as Iron Tail doesn't do too much.

Pryce (30) : PB Sludge Bomb OHKOes Seel, 2HKOes Dewgong and Surf 2HKOes Piloswine. Qwilfish has no troubles taking Aurora Beam + Blizzard and will easily win here.

Rival (33) : Avoid Golbat and Magnemite as they are respectively only 3HKOed and 2HKOed by Surf. Surf OHKOes Haunter after Curse. Sneasel and Meganium are 2HKOed by Sludge Bomb. Alright as according to the team order, Qwilfish can beat Haunter +Sneasel+Meganium.

Clair (38) : Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Dragonair. With a PRZCureBerry, Qwilfish can take down 2 Dragonair (just avoid the Thunderbolt one), even assuming a paralysis against the second one. Alternatively, Qwilfish can take on Kingdra 1v1 most of the time, outspeeding and 3HKOing with Sludge Bomb while being able to take Surf+ Hyper Beam and Hyper Beam only 3HKOing. Smokescreen can be annoying but Qwilfish is still favored. Poison helps and a first turn poison means Qwilfish will 2HKO Kingdra. Assuming a PRZCureBerry and Dragonair not attacking (which happens a lot), Qwilfish can beat a Dragonair and Kingdra.

Rival (40) : PB Sludge Bomb OHKOes Sneasel and Kadabra and 2HKOes Meganium. Avoid Magneton. Surf 3HKOes Golbat but it's luck reliant as usual and 2HKOes Haunter. Qwilifhs should beat reliably Sneasel, Kadabra, Haunter and Meganium here while Golbat is feasible.

Will (41) : Obviously avoid Xatus and Slowbro. Jynx is outsped and OHKOed by PB Sludge Bomb. Exeggutor is a range but a guaranteed OHKO at level 42.

Koga (41) : MW Surf 2HKOes Ariados. Avoid Venomoth due to Psychic. 3HKOes FOrretress but it might go for Explosion.Avoid the rest.

Bruno (42) : PB Sludge Bomb 2HKOes the hitmon and Surf OHKOes Onix. Machamp is only 3HKOed by Sludge Bomb. Set up Harden on the dig turn and Qwilfish will have no problem defeating the three hitmon and Onix. Machamp is possible to defeat 1v1 by using Harden and hope for a miss as Qwilfish 3HKOes with Sludge Bomb (5HKOes after Hyper Potion) while getting only 4HKOed back or can hope for poisoning with Sludge, meaning Sludge Bomb will 2HKO Machamp without triggering Hyper Potion but it's not reliable.

Karen (43) : PB Sludge Bomb 3HKOes Umbreon and 2HKOes Vileplume. Can't beat Houndoom as it outspeeds and 2HKOes with Crunch. 2HKOes Gengar with Surf after it uses Curse. Outspeed and 2HKOes Murkrow with Sludge Bomb. Alright, Qwilfish can beat Umbreon and one of Murkrow or Vileplume.

Lance (43) : Outspeed and 3HKOes Gyarados while living a Hyper Beam. Also wins against the Blizzard Dragonite, outspeeding and 3HKOing with PB Sludge Bomb while taking a Hyper Beam. Barely takes a Wing Attack + Hyper Beam from Charizard while 2HKOing with PB Sludge Wave. Surf 2HKOes Aerodactyl so Qwilfish can beat it if it goes for Hyper Beam first.

Rival (22) : Surf OHKOes Haunter after Curse and 2HKOes Magnemite and Zubat. Curse is annoying and means Staryu will only claim 2 kos (Thundershock + 2 Curse + 1 hit from Zubat will ko). Obviously avoid Bayleef.

Morty (25) : Surf OHKOes Gastly and 2HKOes Haunter, which are outsped. Avoid Gengar, Dream Eater nearly koes and it outspeeds while taking nothing from Surf. MintBerry helps against Gengar but still, Staryu is outsped and only 3HKOes so it's unlikely to win. Pretty good as Staryu beats Gastly + both Haunter.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed, set up Rain and 2HKO Primeape with Surf. Poliwrath is 2HKOed by Thunder but OHKOes back. Staryu is slighty favored here (Thunder can para and DynamicPunch misses half the time) but it's still not a reliable win.

Jasmine (31) : Magnemite can take a MW Surf and OHKOes with Thunderbolt so Staryu loses to it. Steelix loses to MW Surf, being 2HKOed (even through Sunny Day).

Pryce (31) : Set up Rain Dance on Seel and then OHKO it with Magnet Thunder (needed to guaranteed the OHKO). Dewgong outspeeds after the speed drop but Staryu is favored due to Thunder paralysis chance and Dewgong possibly using Rest. Then, Piloswine is OHKOed by Surf under Rain. Even if Rain was somehow not up (mostly in the case Dewgong uses Rest), Piloswine doesn't do too much to Staryu, which 2HKOes it with Surf. Not a 100% guaranteed but Staryu is favored and wins like 75% of the time.

Rival (33) : MW Surf 2HKOes Golbat which is outsped, Sneasel and OHKOes Magnemite and Haunter (after Curse). Avoid Meganium as it does too much with Razor Leaf even if Blizzard 2HKOes it. Pretty good as Staryu is able to take down Golbat, Sneasel, Magnemite and Haunter.

Clair (38) : Staryu needs NeverMeltIce as otherwise Blizzard is a range on Dragonair. Anyway, Blizzard OHKOes the three Dragonair. Kingdra is too much, Hyper Beam will 2HKO and while it's possible to use Rain Dance + Thunder, it's only 5HKOed by it.

Rival (40) : Set up Rain Dance on Sneasel (it is outsped) and then OHKO it and Magneton with Surf. Avoid Meganium as while Blizzard 2HKOes, Razor Leaf will almost kill Staryu. Then, 2HKO Kadabra and Golbat with Surf and Hanter will finish it. Pretty good as Staryu beats 4 mons.

Will (40) : Can't beat Xatu as Psychic + Quick Attack 2HKOes nor Jynx/Exeggutor as they OHKO with Psychic. The only Pokemon that can't kill you is Slowbro as Staryu barely lives a Psychic and 2HKOes with Thunder assuming it hits twice.

Koga (40) : MW Surf 2HKOes Ariados but is a 3HKO if it uses Giga Drain. Venomoth is a 3HKO and Psychic 2HKOes. Foretress s 2HKOed by MW Surf. Muk is too bulky. Crobat is 2HKOed by Thunder but it 2HKOes with Wing Attack. Bad as Staryu can really defeat only one mon.

Bruno (40) : Beats Hitmontop, by using Surf and Rain Dance on the Dig turn. And can then beat Onix.

Karen (40) : Houndoom outspeeds and 2HKOes with Crunch. Vileplume is 2HKOed by Blizzard but OHKOes with Petal Dance. Umbreon is too bulky. Gengar is 2HKOed by MW Surf even after Curse. Murkrow outspeeds and 2HKOes.

Lance (44) : Used Rare Candies to see how it would fare. At this level, Hyper Beam from Gyarados is a range for the OHKO. NVI Blizzard OHKOes lvl 47 Dragonite (itemless is a range) and is a range on lvl 50 Dragonite. Lives a Hyper Beam from Aerodactyl and 2HKOes. Charizard outspeeds and 2HKOes.

Whitney (20) : Beats Clefairy, 4HKOing with Ember. Miltank is obviously going to Rollout and win.

Rival (22) : Bite OHKOes Haunter after Curse. Avoid Zubat due to Curse. 2HKOes Magnemite with Ember. 4HKOes Bayleef with Ember. Pretty good as it beats 3 mons.

Morty (25) : Bite OHKOes Gastly and 2HKOes Haunter but sadly only Gastly is outsped. Gengar is 2HKOed by Dig and thus Growlithe has more than 64% of chance to defeat it (Gengar can go for Mean Look sometimes). Growlithe is pretty good as it can either take down Gastly + both Haunter reliably or Gastly + Gengar + Haunter #2 like 70% of the time.

Chuck (30) : Not good, it 3HKOes Primeape but it it should 3HKO back and outspeed so it's hard to beat it. If it has Fire Blast, then Primeape will be 2HKOed. Poliwrath is obviously a no.

Jasmine (30) : Dig OHKOes Magnemite. Charcoal Fire Blast OHKOes Steelix. Rock Throw doesn't OHKO so Growlithe can afford to miss one. Great matchup. Ember only 3HKOes Steelix while Rock Throw puts to red so Growlithe has to rely on Fire Blast.

Pryce (30) : 3HKOes Seel with Headbutt, 3HKOes Dewgong with Fire Blast and OHKOes Piloswine with it. Dewgong can be painfull as it'll outspeed after speed drop from Icy Wind and between Headbutt flinching, Fire Blast misses and potentially using Rest (meaning Fire Blast needs to connect more), it's not easy for Growlithe to defeat it, even though it's still possible. Anyway, Growlithe has no troubles beating Seeland Piloswine which is alright.

Rival (33) : Avoid Golbat even though Fire Blast 2HKOes it. Magnemite is OHKOed by Dig and as is Haunter after Curse. Sneasel is OHKOed by Fire Blast and Meganium is 2HKOed. Sadly, Growlithe can't take on Meganium+Sneasel if Haunter used Curse but still is able to defeat Magnemite + Meganium + Sneasel reliably.

Clair (38) : PB Headbutt 3HKOes Dragonair and Growlithe outspeeds while getting only 3HKOed so it can take at most one Dragonair most of the time.

Rival (40) : Charcoal Flame Wheel 2HKOes Sneasel and Meganium while Magneton is OHKOed. Haunter is OHKOed by Flame Wheel after Curse. Kadabra is also a 2HKO. Otherwise, Fire Blast OHKOes everything but Meganium (it's a range). Golbat is 2HKOed by Fire Blast + Headbutt but it's bette to avoid it due to Confuse Ray. Curse from Haunter can make things harder but Fire Blast OHKOes everything so Growlithe shouldn't have much problems outside of Golbat. Pretty good as Growlithe should beat 5 mons.

Will (40) : Xatu outspeed and 2HKO with Psychic while getting OHKOed. Jynx barely lives a Charcoal Fire Blast and 2HKOes with Psychic. Slowbro is a no. Outspeed and OHKO Exeggutor with Fire Blast.

Koga (40) : Charcoal Flame Wheel 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth and OHKOes Foretress. Muk and Crobat are only 3HKOed by Fire Blast but Sludge Bomb from Muk nearly OHKOes and it seems impossible to hit Fire Blast through Minimize.

Bruno (40) : Nop, everything but Machamp outspeeds and do too much damages. Hitmonchan is only 3HKOed by Fire Blast and 3HKOes with Mach Punch.

Karen (40) : Outspeed and 2HKO Vileplume wih Fire Blast + Flame Wheel. Loses to the rest.

Lance (40) : lol no.

Umbreon

This is obviously E-tier. Getting Umbreon is already an annoying task, that takes time and can be quite costly and you really want to get it before level 36 to get Feint Attack. Even then, Umbreon has a bad performance in nearly every single battle. As noted in my logs, every fight with Umbreon involves luck because it's weak and battles take a really long time with it and I reset several times to see what was the most likely outcome. Clair was alright I guess but to defeat either Kingdra or 2 Dragonair, it requires luck. Will was the only good fight but still, Umbreon was nothing impressive for a Dark-type against a Psychic-type specialist and struggled to get through Jynx and would get 3 kos most of the time, not even sure to ko Slowbro. The rest of the E4 was quite frankly terrible, Koga was bad outside of Ariados and Venomoth which are always free anyway due to Toxic, it was obviously bad against Bruno, couldn't do much against Karen and nothing against Lance. Really, Umbreon was that bad and the only kos it achieved were either against the weakest foes or it relied on luck/AI. Overall, this shouldn't get contested but between hard to obtain and bad performances, Umbreon should be E-tier. I would definitely advice against using it and it was without a doubt the worst Pokemon I've used in GSC yet.

Scizor

While this was good and really fun to use, it should be D-tier. It had a good performance but Scyther was overall a bit better thanks to winning against Chuck more reliably and having a much better Will. The problem is how hard it is to find a Metal Coat and it takes forever to get a 2% held item on a mon with a 20% encounter rate. And in Scizor's case, not only you have to find a Metal Coat but you also have to get a Scyther first, a bug catching contest Pokemon, fairly hard to catch. Otherwise, Scizor was pretty good and performed well outside of Morty and Jasmine. Not much else to say, a good mon hindered by terrible availability (both for Scyther and Scizor) and whose speed can be a problem for Will.

Qwilfish

Honestly, I really want to say C-tier on this one and it was far better than I expected. I personally felt Minimize wasn't really needed at all and didn't have any real utility on this mon. Qwilfish still won against Bugsy and Whitney without using the move and it didn't have some uses afterwards. For instance, it was definitely useless against Morty as Haunter is just going to attack with Night Shade. Anyway, Qwilfish had a great performance and won against Bugsy, Whitney, Chuck and Pryce while helping in other gym fights (beating Steelix/Kingdra 1v1, 2 Dragonair against Clair or Gastly and both Haunter against Morty). The Elite 4 was admitedly mostly bad, especially Koga but Qwilfish could net 2 kos against Will and defeated 4 mons against Bruno while killing 2 mons against Karen and 1 against Karen. Koga isn't the most important matchup either as it's usually not too hard to deal and was the only truely bad E4 member. Yes, it has availaibilities problems but still, winning against 4 gym leaders, while being helpful against the others and doing a lot against Bruno makes me feel Qwilfish would be out of place in D-tier. It would be better in C-tier with mons like Scyther, which was about as good. Both has availabilities problems and some struggles (mid-game for Scyther and E4 for Qwilfish) but makes up for by being good elsewhere.

Staryu

This is an easy D-tier. Staryu was alright for mid-game but totally fell at the E4. It contributed a lot against Morty, Jasmine, Rival and Clair while winning most of the time against Chuck and Pryce and potentially beating 3-4 mons against Lance. It obviously had its issues, like Slow growth rate and requiring a backtrack for Rain Dance and 2 Game Corner TMs. However, its performance was more than adequate for D-tier in spite of this as it did fairly well in mid-game. As for differences between Staryu and Starmie, they are enough to warrant a 2 tier difference, in spite of requiring the DST Trick for Water Stone. Starmie wins against Morty and Jasmine and is more consistent against Chuck and Pryce, where it wins all of the time while having a slightly better Clair (you can equip a PRZCureBerry in case Blizzard misses and it does more to Kingdra). Starmie can also choose to get the game corner later when it's more affordable as it wins against Chuck and Pryce even with Rain Dance and Surf. It's also much better for the E4 and can win against Will, does way more against Koga, Bruno and can actually sweep Lance. Anyway, this shouldn't get contested but Staryu should be fine in D-tier, it has its uses in spite of its flaws but doesn't perform well either.

Growlithe

Likewise, this is another easy D-tier. Growlithe was alright in mid-game, doing a lot against Morty and Rival while winning against Jasmine and sometimes Pryce. It didn't have much use afterwards but still could get a few kos at the E4. Overall, in spite of the slow growth rate and needing Fire Blast, winning against Jasmine, sometimes Pryce and helping a lot against Morty and Rival should be enough for D-tier.

Next run is going to be Jolteon (expect C-/D-tier)/Mankey (expect C-/D-tier)/Koffing (expect D-tier)/Meowth (expect D-tier).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 7)