SS LC Grookey+Fomantis

risi

miao
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hi everyone! This is a team that originally started as a joke (and still is one) that I found to be really fun to use, so I decided to share it here. I built this since I missed the glory days of Snivy in SM, and wanted to be able to just click Leaf Storm and win games. It's not really practical in tour settings, but works decently on ladder. The main idea behind this team is a Fomantis+Grookey core.

Teambuilding process

I started with a Fomantis+Grookey core, the basic idea here being to use Grookey to lure in Fomantis checks and pivot out, allowing for them to be trapped. It also sets Grassy Terrain, which helps Fomantis break through its checks more easily. For reference, here are a few important calcs for Fomantis:
200 SpA Fomantis Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Vullaby in Grassy Terrain: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO
200 SpA Fomantis Leaf Storm vs. 156 HP / 116 SpD Vullaby in Grassy Terrain: 8-10 (32 - 40%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO (spdef berry juice Vullaby)
200 SpA Contrary Fomantis Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Ponyta in Grassy Terrain: 18-23 (85.7 - 109.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
200 SpA Contrary Fomantis Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Pawniard in Grassy Terrain: 21-26 (100 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Grassy Terrain recovery
200 SpA Contrary Fomantis Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Koffing in Grassy Terrain: 23-27 (109.5 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns

200 SpA Fomantis Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Vullaby: 8-9 (34.7 - 39.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
200 SpA Fomantis Leaf Storm vs. 116 HP / 156 SpD Vullaby: 6-8 (24 - 32%) -- 98% chance to 4HKO
200 SpA Contrary Fomantis Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Ponyta: 13-17 (61.9 - 80.9%) -- not a KO
200 SpA Contrary Fomantis Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 17-20 (80.9 - 95.2%) -- not a KO
200 SpA Contrary Fomantis Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Koffing: 18-23 (85.7 - 109.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

I added Trapinch to the core, to take advantage of Grookey luring and pivoting out of common grass type checks. It's mostly here to trap Ponyta, Pawniard, and Ferroseed, but it's also nice for trapping other miscellaneous mons. I'm running a set with Earth Power and a bit more special attack than standard, since Trapinch has to work alongside terrain Grookey. This helps it trap Ponyta more reliably, too.

Vullaby was needed on this team as a Foongus counter. It's still not the best Foongus counter, but I couldn't justify running Ferroseed on this team for any other reason, and besides that would make me too weak to fire types. Vullaby is also great as a utility mon, helping to weaken the opponent's team by removing items and providing solid hazard control

Mareanie isn't great in this meta, with Abra and Staryu back. However, I still needed a fighting resist and a switch in to fire types, so Mareanie was mandatory. It also provides Knock-off support and is in general a nice defensive mon to fall back onto.

Lastly, I opted for Magnemite as a flying-type check. This particular Magnemite set is specifically for trapping Ferroseed, and isn't good for much else. However, the team is too weak to Ferroseed as is, so that's why I'm running this Magnemite set. It's decent offensively, however losing out on Volt Switch or Thunderbolt makes a difference in some situations. Magnemite also serves as a Abra switch in, helping to take some of the pressure off Vullaby.

The team

Fomantis @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Level: 5
EVs: 76 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Weather Ball
- Giga Drain
A standard scarf Fomantis set, the only important move here is Leaf Storm. The other moves are really just filler, Weather Ball is in case some kind soul allows you to take advantage of their sun for whatever reason. Giga Drain is for a little recovery, and Defog is just there in case you desperately need to get rid of hazards.

Grookey @ Berry Juice
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
Pretty standard Grookey set, running Grassy Glide over Wood Hammer for the nice priority. U-turn is for helping gather momentum, Swords Dance to take advantage of any setup opportunities, and Acrobatics is to hit Foongus. I also considered itemless Grookey, for luring Foongus and getting the Acrobatics boost without taking a hit, but I feel that Grookey needs the recovery more.

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 116 Atk / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Superpower
- First Impression
- Giga Drain
This Trapinch runs Earth Power over Earthquake, mostly just to avoid getting Earthquake debuffed by Grassy Terrain. Quiet nature allows it to hit 12 special attack, which allows for better rolls vs Ponyta. I probably ev'd this wrong, but otherwise it is just your average Trapinch set.

Vullaby (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
Pretty standard Vullaby set, Overcoat is for switching into Foongus without fearing getting Spored. This is a spdef Vullaby, although you can (and maybe should) run a more offensive Vullaby set. I opted for U-turn over Heat Wave here, since it is nicer for maintaining offensive pressure. Vullaby is often able to lure Onix or Pawniard and pivot off them, leaving them suspectable to getting trapped by Trapinch, or it gives Fomantis a free turn.

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Happiness: 160
EVs: 196 HP / 12 Atk / 100 Def / 12 SpA / 100 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Knock Off
Back to regular slow Mareanie, this is just your average Mareanie set. Nothing much to say here, you could maybe run Covet over Knock Off, to help Mareanie steal back Eviolites, but overall Knock Off is probably better.

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Iron Defense
- Rest
This Magnemite set is pretty much only for trapping Ferroseed, since Fomantis desperately needs Ferroseed gone in order to sweep. I know that you can use Trapinch to trap Ferroseed just fine, but it never really does a good job, and you usually need to remove Ferroseed's item or do a ton of chip to it to trap Ferroseed with Trapinch. Iron Defense is helpful for trapping physical Ferroseed, and Rest is for recovery.

Threats
The team is not great and has quite a few issues, but the most notable threats are Trapinch, Foongus, Vullaby, Ponyta, and Pawniard.
- Trapinch: Revenges both Fomantis and Grookey with First Impression, traps Mareanie and Magnemite, and in general is just a huge pain.
- Foongus: Comes in for free on everything but Vullaby and usually is a hard wall to Grookey and Fomantis.
- Vullaby: Gets free Knock Offs every time it comes in, and the only check to it is Magnemite, which is really easy to trap since it doesn't have steel stab.
- Ponyta: Depending on it's set, it can hit everything on this team for supereffective damage.
- Pawniard: Also gets free Knock Offs on the whole team, the only way to deal with it is by trapping it with Trapinch or Magnemite.

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Fomantis @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Weather Ball
- Giga Drain

Grookey @ Berry Juice
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

Trapinch @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 Atk / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Superpower
- First Impression
- Giga Drain

Vullaby (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Happiness: 160
EVs: 196 HP / 12 Atk / 100 Def / 12 SpA / 100 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Knock Off

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Iron Defense
- Rest

Fomantis @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Weather Ball
- Giga Drain

Vulpix @ Eject Pack
Ability: Drought
EVs: 36 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Weather Ball
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Dewpider @ Berry Juice
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 52 HP / 100 Def / 196 SpA / 100 SpD / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Sticky Web
- Icy Wind

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Trapinch @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 Atk / 236 Def / 236 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- First Impression
- Giga Drain

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Thanks to Pamplona for the Magnemite set, and the whole Big Brain Bronzor team <3

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)