move 3: Rapid Spin / Spikes / Knock Off
move 4: Shore Up
item: Covert Cloak
ability: Protosynthesis
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
tera type: Water / Ghost

[SET COMMENTS]
Great Tusk is a fantastic physical wall with a high base HP and Defense stat as well as a good defensive typing in Ground / Fighting. Earthquake provides great coverage against many Pokemon in the tier, such as Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Gholdengo. Thunderous Kick is a powerful Fighting-type move that lowers the target's Defense by one stage; this can be helpful in taking down opposing Pokemon that would otherwise halt Great Tusk like opposing Great Tusk and Ting-Lu. (there was an extra space here) Knock Off can cripple foes by removing their items, which is great against a lot of Pokemon, as it gets rid of annoying items such as Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, and opposing Covert Cloak from Pokemon such as Garganacl, opposing Great Tusk, and Skeledirge. Rapid Spin is a potent utility move that allows Great Tusk to remove entry hazards from the user's side, while Spikes is an alternative to Rapid Spin, as it allows Great Tusk to set up hazards of its own if the user's team already has reliable hazard removal. Shore Up is a good recovery move, as it gets powered up by sand, and Great Tusk can use it often due to its decent Speed and bulk. Covert Cloak is the best item choice for Great Tusk, as it allows it to shrug off secondary effects from moves like Mortal Spin, Thunderous Kick, and Salt Cure without getting punished. This EV spread allows Great Tusk to maximize its physical bulk while still outspeeding some slower Pokemon such as maximum speed Azumarill and base 100 Speed Pokemon like Volcarona after a well-timed Rapid Spin. Maximizing Attack instead of HP is an alternative option due to Great Tusk's impressive base Attack stat; however, maximizing HP is the preferred way to go, to maximize overall bulk. Tera Water allows Great Tusk to turn the tables on physically offensive Water-types such as Azumarill, Palafin, and Gyarados; this allows Great Tusk to tank their STAB moves if needed. Additionally, Tera Ghost is an option to block Rapid Spin from opposing Tusks Great Tusk and punish them for not carrying Knock Off. Good partners for Great Tusk include Corviknight, Tyranitar, Slowking, and Toxapex; these Pokemon can provide a way to take on special attacks and help pivot Great Tusk into the battle. Tyranitar can also set up sand, which can increase Great Tusk's Shore Up recovery.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/arcueid.192866/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/giagantic.220859/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/wrathoftheleopard.511181/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/autumn.384270/

Last edited:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
[SET]
name: Physically Defensive Utility
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Thunderous Kick / Knock Off
move 3: Rapid Spin / Spikes / Knock Off (Having Knock Off and Tkick on the same set is extremely helpful as it let's it punish Covert Cloak sets)
evs: 252 Atk / 216 Def / 40 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Great Tusk is a fantastic physical wall with a high base HP and defense stat, as well as a good defensive typing in Ground/Fighting type. Earthquake provides great coverage against many Pokemon in the tier such as Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Gholdengo. Thunderous Kick is a powerful Fighting-type move that deals decent damage and lowers the target's Defense by one stage, this can be helpful in taking down opposing Pokemon that would otherwise halt Great Tusk. Knock Off is a powerful move that can cripple opponents by removing their items which is great against a lot of Pokemon as it helps you get rid of annoying items such as Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, and Covert Cloaks. Rapid Spin is a strong utility move that allows Great Tusk to remove hazards from the user's side while Spikes is an alternative to that allows Great Tusk to set up hazards on its own if the user's team already has reliable hazard removal. Shore Up is a good recovery move as it gets powered up by Sand and Great Tusk can use it often due to its decent speed and bulk. Covert Cloak is the best item choice for Great Tusk, as it allows it to shrug off secondary effects from moves like Mortal Spin, Thunderous Kick, Salt Cure without getting punished. This EV Spread allows Great Tusk to maximize its physical bulk while still outspeeding some slower Pokemon such as (might want to mention a more fully invested HP wise variant of the EVS for those seeking even great defensive prowess such as EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe Impish Nature) Specifically, it can outspeed max speed Azumarill and base 100 Pokemon like Volcarona with a well-timed Rapid Spin. Tera Water allows it to turn the tables on physically offensive Water-types such as Azumarill, Palafin, and Gyarados. This allows Great Tusk to tank their STABs if needed as well. Additionally, Tera Ghost is an option to block Rapid Spin from opposing Tusks and punish them for not carrying Knock Off. Good partners for Great Tusk include Corviknight, Tyranitar, Slowking, and Toxapex as these Pokemon can provide special defensive support and help Great Tusk pivot in to battle. Tyranitar can also set up sand, which can power up Great Tusk's Shore Up recovery.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Arcueid, 192866]]
- Quality checked by: [[Giagantic, 220859], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
Giagantic large.gif

Good Job, just changed some sentences and a few bits and bobs. Implement for [QC 1/2]

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
View attachment 507079
Good Job, just changed some sentences and a few bits and bobs. Implement for [QC 1/2]
Before I fully implement this... I just noticed that I have 252 atk in the spread by mistake, it was supposed to be 252 hp in the first place. I've never used 252 atk on defensive Tusk. Do you think 252 atk is good enough to worth mentioning? I want to put 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe in the main spread since I think full HP investment is better on this set.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Before I fully implement this... I just noticed that I have 252 atk in the spread by mistake, it was supposed to be 252 hp in the first place. I've never used 252 atk on defensive Tusk. Do you think 252 atk is good enough to worth mentioning? I want to put 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe in the main spread since I think full HP investment is better on this set.
Nah, I was just wondering if you were using a unique set, defensively it is basically the same but hp investment has better mixed bulk then defense investment and it is only a slight bit better defensively (the calc between the two was 0.7% difference between HP and def with def being the one that is slightly better). HP is the route IMO, but it is up to you.

Arcueid

Nah, I was just wondering if you were using a unique set, defensively it is basically the same but hp investment has better mixed bulk then defense investment and it is only a slight bit better defensively (the calc between the two was 0.7% difference between HP and def with def being the one that is slightly better). HP is the route IMO, but it is up to you.
Implemented all the changes, alongside making the main spread max HP while mentioning max Atk as an alternative.

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Letting this pass with 1/1 since it was written by a QCer and we want to get this up; GP Team

Rose

formerly WrathoftheLeopard
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
add remove comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Great Tusk is a fantastic physical wall with a high base HP and defense Defense stat, (remove comma) as well as a good defensive typing in Ground/Fighting Ground / Fighting type. Earthquake provides great coverage against many Pokemon in the tier, (add comma) such as Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Gholdengo. Thunderous Kick is a powerful Fighting-type move that deals decent damage and lowers the target's Defense by one stage,; (comma to semicolon) this can be helpful in taking down opposing Pokemon that would otherwise halt Great Tusk like?. (there was an extra space here) Knock Off is a powerful move that can cripple opponents by removing their items, (add comma) which is great against a lot of Pokemon, (add comma) as it helps you get gets rid of annoying items such as Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, and opposing Covert Cloaks Cloak. Rapid Spin is a strong potent (I think "strong" more so implies that the move has a high Base Power) utility move that allows Great Tusk to remove entry hazards from the user's side, (add comma) while Spikes is an alternative to Rapid Spin, (add comma) as it allows Great Tusk to set up hazards on of its own if the user's team already has reliable hazard removal. Shore Up is a good recovery move as it gets powered up by Sand sand, and Great Tusk can use it often due to its decent speed Speed and bulk. Covert Cloak is the best item choice for Great Tusk, as it allows it to shrug off secondary effects from moves like Mortal Spin, Thunderous Kick, and Salt Cure without getting punished. This EV Spread allows Great Tusk to maximize its physical bulk while still outspeeding some slower Pokemon such as max speed Speed Azumarill and base 100 Speed Pokemon like Volcarona with after a well-timed Rapid Spin. Maximising Maximizing attack instead of HP is an alternative option due to Great Tusk's impressive base Attack stat,; (comma to semicolon) however, (add comma) maximising maximizing HP is the preferred way to go, (add comma) to maximise maximize overall bulk. Tera Water allows it Great Tusk to turn the tables on physically offensive Water-types such as Azumarill, Palafin, and Gyarados.; (period to semicolon) This this allows Great Tusk to tank their STABs STAB moves if needed as well. Additionally, Tera Ghost is an option to block Rapid Spin from opposing Tusks Great Tusk and punish them for not carrying Knock Off. Good partners for Great Tusk include Corviknight, Tyranitar, Slowking, and Toxapex.; (period to semicolon) These these Pokemon can provide special defensive support a way to take on special attacks and help pivot Great Tusk pivot in to into the battle. Tyranitar can also set up sand, which can power up increase Great Tusk's Shore Up recovery.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

AM GP Check; implement changes as desired.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
1/1 GP Team done credit both of us

Be careful of adding too much dex info - there's no need to explain what every move does because you can find that on the dex / by googling. Instead, you wanna relate that back to the metagame

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Great Tusk is a fantastic physical wall with a high base HP and defense Defense stat, (remove comma) as well as a good defensive typing in Ground/Fighting Ground / Fighting type. Earthquake provides great coverage against many Pokemon in the tier, (add comma) such as Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Gholdengo. Thunderous Kick is a powerful Fighting-type move that deals decent damage and (no real need to keep this when you've already said it's powerful) lowers the target's Defense by one stage,; (comma to semicolon) this can be helpful in taking down opposing Pokemon that would otherwise halt Great Tusk like?. (there was an extra space here) Knock Off is a powerful move that (fluff) can cripple opponents foes by removing their items, (add comma) which is great against a lot of Pokemon, (add comma) as it helps you get gets rid of annoying items such as Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, and opposing Covert Cloaks Cloak. (this is mostly dex info - what pokemon can it remove those items from?) Rapid Spin is a strong potent (I think "strong" more so implies that the move has a high Base Power) utility move that allows Great Tusk to remove entry hazards from the user's side, (add comma) (this is also basically dex info; you don't need to say that spin removes hazards) while Spikes is an alternative to Rapid Spin, (add comma) as it allows Great Tusk to set up hazards on of its own if the user's team already has reliable hazard removal. Shore Up is a good recovery move, (AC) as it gets powered up by Sand sand, and Great Tusk can use it often due to its decent speed Speed and bulk. Covert Cloak is the best item choice for Great Tusk, as it allows it to shrug off secondary effects from moves like Mortal Spin, Thunderous Kick, and Salt Cure without getting punished. This EV Spread spread allows Great Tusk to maximize its physical bulk while still outspeeding some slower Pokemon such as maximum speed Speed Azumarill and base 100 Speed Pokemon like Volcarona with after a well-timed Rapid Spin. Maximising Maximizing attack Attack instead of HP is an alternative option due to Great Tusk's impressive base Attack stat,; (comma to semicolon) however, (add comma) maximising maximizing HP is the preferred way to go, (add comma) to maximise maximize overall bulk. Tera Water allows it Great Tusk to turn the tables on physically offensive Water-types such as Azumarill, Palafin, and Gyarados.; (period to semicolon) This this allows Great Tusk to tank their STABs STAB moves if needed as well. Additionally, Tera Ghost is an option to block Rapid Spin from opposing Tusks Great Tusk and punish them for not carrying Knock Off. Good partners for Great Tusk include Corviknight, Tyranitar, Slowking, and Toxapex.; (period to semicolon) These these Pokemon can provide special defensive support a way to take on special attacks and help pivot Great Tusk pivot in to into the battle. Tyranitar can also set up sand, which can power up increase Great Tusk's Shore Up recovery.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

- 'Opponent' refersto the opposing player, while 'foe' refers to the opposing Pokemon. As such, Kncok Off removes items fromfoes (Pokemon) and not opponents (people).
- Commas should be used before 'as' and 'since' if it means 'because.'
- EV Spread -> EV spread; the word spread doesn't need to be capitalised.
- Max -> maximum; this should always be written out.
- Stats (Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed) should always be capitalised.

Arcueid

1/1 GP Team done credit both of us

Be careful of adding too much dex info - there's no need to explain what every move does because you can find that on the dex / by googling. Instead, you wanna relate that back to the metagame

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Great Tusk is a fantastic physical wall with a high base HP and defense Defense stat, (remove comma) as well as a good defensive typing in Ground/Fighting Ground / Fighting type. Earthquake provides great coverage against many Pokemon in the tier, (add comma) such as Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Gholdengo. Thunderous Kick is a powerful Fighting-type move that deals decent damage and (no real need to keep this when you've already said it's powerful) lowers the target's Defense by one stage,; (comma to semicolon) this can be helpful in taking down opposing Pokemon that would otherwise halt Great Tusk like?. (there was an extra space here) Knock Off is a powerful move that (fluff) can cripple opponents foes by removing their items, (add comma) which is great against a lot of Pokemon, (add comma) as it helps you get gets rid of annoying items such as Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, and opposing Covert Cloaks Cloak. (this is mostly dex info - what pokemon can it remove those items from?) Rapid Spin is a strong potent (I think "strong" more so implies that the move has a high Base Power) utility move that allows Great Tusk to remove entry hazards from the user's side, (add comma) (this is also basically dex info; you don't need to say that spin removes hazards) while Spikes is an alternative to Rapid Spin, (add comma) as it allows Great Tusk to set up hazards on of its own if the user's team already has reliable hazard removal. Shore Up is a good recovery move, (AC) as it gets powered up by Sand sand, and Great Tusk can use it often due to its decent speed Speed and bulk. Covert Cloak is the best item choice for Great Tusk, as it allows it to shrug off secondary effects from moves like Mortal Spin, Thunderous Kick, and Salt Cure without getting punished. This EV Spread spread allows Great Tusk to maximize its physical bulk while still outspeeding some slower Pokemon such as maximum speed Speed Azumarill and base 100 Speed Pokemon like Volcarona with after a well-timed Rapid Spin. Maximising Maximizing attack Attack instead of HP is an alternative option due to Great Tusk's impressive base Attack stat,; (comma to semicolon) however, (add comma) maximising maximizing HP is the preferred way to go, (add comma) to maximise maximize overall bulk. Tera Water allows it Great Tusk to turn the tables on physically offensive Water-types such as Azumarill, Palafin, and Gyarados.; (period to semicolon) This this allows Great Tusk to tank their STABs STAB moves if needed as well. Additionally, Tera Ghost is an option to block Rapid Spin from opposing Tusks Great Tusk and punish them for not carrying Knock Off. Good partners for Great Tusk include Corviknight, Tyranitar, Slowking, and Toxapex.; (period to semicolon) These these Pokemon can provide special defensive support a way to take on special attacks and help pivot Great Tusk pivot in to into the battle. Tyranitar can also set up sand, which can power up increase Great Tusk's Shore Up recovery.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

- 'Opponent' refersto the opposing player, while 'foe' refers to the opposing Pokemon. As such, Kncok Off removes items fromfoes (Pokemon) and not opponents (people).
- Commas should be used before 'as' and 'since' if it means 'because.'
- EV Spread -> EV spread; the word spread doesn't need to be capitalised.
- Max -> maximum; this should always be written out.
- Stats (Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed) should always be capitalised.
implemented, thank you for the checks and I will have that in mind next time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)