SS OU Gravity Webs: 100% Accurate Hypnosis OP (1900+)

Your sticky web setter of choice

• Slurpuff

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Shuckle

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Rimbombee

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Araquanid

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Galvantula

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Orbeetle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vikavolt?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
tl;dr
1656771609906.png
1656771681501.png
1656771548135.png
1656771716549.png

Introduction

Hello,

Here's a quick hyper offensive team featuring the unique gimmick of Gravity and Sticky Webs. Both of these moves are unsung this generation because of the prevalence of heavy duty boots. Nonetheless, I think it's still very possible to make these strategies work. Here's the team:

GRAVITY WEBS

:ss/Regieleki::ss/landorus-therian::ss/slurpuff::ss/Tapu-lele::ss/gengar::ss/blacephalon:

This is a very fun style to play, with quick games and angry opponents. It's not half bad either -- I got pretty high up the ladder, and I think I can keep pushing to top 10, unless there's tons of sand being run. There are a few terrible matchups, but otherwise, I think there are lines of play into all team archetypes. I'll touch on the sets, synergies and how it plays, and finally make a note of the bad matchups. I won't go into teambuilding, but I'll mention a few of the other options I explored as well. I welcome all feedback and I hope you enjoy!

Sets
:ss/slurpuff:
Slurpuff @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Misty Explosion
- Sticky Web
- Yawn
- Magic Coat

First we have our sticky webs setter, Slurpuff. Compared to shuckle and that bee thing, slurpuff is the best at setting, and keeping webs up thanks to yawn, magic coat, and a self destructing move. There's not a whole bunch of ways to play it. You lead it into all matchups, expect when you see a urshifu R. The worst thing you can do with slurpuff is get u-turned on while you magic coat, so use magic coat only if you expect a Taunt, otherwise, Webs is the best turn 1. Usually, you do not need to preserve slurpuff, but vs some slow teams where the webs don't matter, you keep it alive to bother them with bounce and sleep. There may be an EV spread that lets you live banded urshifu rapid strikes, but that's a very niche use.

Note: on further inspection, there IS a spread that will live banded surging strikes and triple axel. You can use 252/208 Bold, with the same moves.

:ss/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gravity
- Explosion
- Earthquake / Imprison

Monsieur Gravity. Just click gravity then go boom. Or go rocks, then gravity, then boom. The sole purpose of this thing is to gravity and prevent defog. Mew can do the same thing, but faster, though landorus can make better use of its own gravity with earthquake, along with luring in very annoying stuff like AV Torn T. Keep this alive if they have a koko. Imprison may also be worth using, simply to stop rocks from going up. In some matchups, preserving the sashes is how you win. All in all, this is a pretty simple pokemon on this team and the best offensive gravity setter than I can find.

:ss/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast / Magic Room / Gravity
- Psychic
- Nature's Madness

A bit of a funky Lele set, but this is the optimal build for this team. This does a few things: keep terrain terrain up to protect the sweepers, taunt defoggers, put BIG holes in special wall like Blissey and heatran, and finally cleanup a lot of unprepared teams by itself...remember this is still a 130 SpA terrain boosted breaker! With Taunt, this does a real number on teams reliant on immunities or heavy psychic resists to wall a choice lele. You'll want to keep lele alive in cases where unaware clefable, rillaboom, or random fat stuff is on the other side. I've tested using magic room over moonblast...I think this has merits, since some matchups like boots koko, torn, or zeraora become a million times easier. Jury's still out on this slot. Lastly, thanks to some suggestions in the comments, I'd also consider Gravity as a viable choice over moonblast.

:ss/blacephalon:
Blacephalon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Expanding Force
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower

Blacephalon is the single most threatening pokemon in OU, in my opinion, having only 2 real switch-ins. On this team, we are using a Special Attack-boosting set, with a secret weapon: Hypnosis. Under terrain, hypnosis won't miss, so you can get some really cheesy and angry sweeps with this. Expanding force is a fantastic move on blacephalon. Under psychic terrain, it will hit neutral targets harder than either of the STAB moves, killing things like garchomp, toxapex, zapdos, etc. it's very strong. Focus sash is used to take better advantage of Sticky Webs. There are very few pokemon that are faster than blacephalon at "+1", and most those that are cannot take a hit from it. If the sash is up and blacephalon is at +1 SpA with Webs, you've probably won. Also an obligatory spin-blocking ghost for the team.

:ss/gengar:
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast​

Like Blacephalon, Gengar is another sweeper. Under gravity, it too has 100% accurate hypnosis and focus blast. We're not using sludge bomb because it's much more important to break blobs, steels, and tyranitar. This has many shared checks with blacephalon, so sometimes it's best to let one do some damage, so that the other can sweep. Rarely, cursed body will be useful, but it's not something to count on. The biggest benefit gengar provides to this team is being faster than scarf kartana while webs are up. Great speed tier. Surprisingly, there's not much else that gets hypnosis.

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Life Orb
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Extreme Speed / Volt Switch / Assurance
- Wild Charge

Regieleki is the last slot, largely in a supporting role. Rapid spin keeps rocks away if needed, which is almost always guaranteed thanks to its speed. It's also helpful to stop defog vs all defoggers -- it can do this by virtue of its crazy strong wild charge and explosion. Wild Charge is used so that torn-t always dies, while doing a fat chunk to blissey as well; damage to blissey is always great when you have a blacephalon. Extreme speed is the 4th move, but I think there are several options for this slot. Volt Switch can be used to 2KHO scarf kartana. other choices like assurance or protect are there to mess with ghosts or weather teams, respectively. As for items, life orb is for the biggest booms. Boots would only be useful if you're encountering other sticky webs teams (lol). Generally, you can play loose with Regieleki -- don't feel bad about just going boom vs lando. That can help to setup a sweep for blacephalon. I've also tried taunt :zeraora: , taunt :weavile:, and :moltres-galar: in this slot; they both helped to soften some of the below poor matchups, but really the most important factor is rapid spin. If zeraora had spin, I wouldn't be using regi. On EV's: this goes faster than +1 kartana. I think there is a slightly modified spread with more Def and less HP that alos lives bisharp sucker punch and dragonite +1 extreme speed, but you have psychic terrain, so I didn't bother worrying about that.

-----
Synergies and Team Dynamics
:Tapu-lele:+:blacephalon:
  • Lele pulls in steels and puts holes in special walls​
  • Psychic terrain protects balcephalon​
  • Blacephalon revenges and threatens a sweep vs anything that kills lele​
:Gengar: + :Blacephalon:
  • Blacephalon WILL sweep all offensive teams lacking a scarf kartana​
  • Gengar beats the few things that go faster than blacephalon​
  • very very few teams can stomach 4 (thanks to sash) powerful shadow balls​
Gravity + Sticky Webs
Everything that isn't Heavy-duty boots gets a speed drop. Balloons and Levitate begone!

Gravity + Hypnosis
  • Sleep destroys non-dedicated walls to blacephalon and gengar​
  • Free turns for gengar is gg​
  • I think this is borderline uncompetitive...there's very little counterplay in OU, outside of koko and Fini, neither of which want to chance eating a shadow ball. We have fini, so we can control terrain too​
  • Even if you think you're out of it, go for that hypnosis cheese​
Explosion into Beast Boost
Go boom with lando or regieleki and now there's a weakened corviknight, hippowdon, garchomp, ferrothorn, landorus or AV melmetal. These are all juicy targets for blacephalon to commence a sweep.

:focus Sash: (Focus Sash)
There are four focus sashes on this team. That's four free turns if we keep rocks off. These are really key to cheat our way around those filthy boots users.

How to Play (super basic)
  • Lead slurpuff and click webs. If they have urshifu, lead regieleki. Magic coat or yawn as appropriate. Then go boom
  • Go landorus and click gravity. Or rocks then gravity. Then go boom
  • Go Lele and Click Taunt if they still trying to defog. Otherwise, natures madness and hit that heatran/blissey​
  • Get a ghost in safe and win​
  • Regi eleki is there to remove rocks​

-----
Weaknesses
:tyranitar:
Tyranitar breaks all the sashes, hardwalls blacephalon, and usually comes with an :excadrill:, which is going to make keeping webs up a pain. It's a very difficult matchup, but not unplayable. Gravity+Hypnosis is key. I have had games where blacephalon 1v1'd non-SpD TTar!

:Tapu-Koko: + Defog
If this has boots and defog, you should probably concede. It removes webs, stops the sleep, and probably wont be dumb enough to die to a ghost. Thankfully, defog koko has been rare.

:Tornadus-Therian: + :heavy duty Boots:
Annoying, but not as bad as koko. It is always faster than the ghosts, and can remove hazards pretty easily. You have to do some fancy reads with regieleki or lando so that this doesn't get in for free. This is one of the cases where magic room on lele is a very nice alternative to Moonblast.

:Dragapult: + :choice band:
Clear body dragapult can click dragon darts with impunity and doesn't care about sashes, intimidate, or webs. Don't throw lele away if you think dragapult will be a physical set.
Edit: After further play, especially higher on ladder where people will counter team, clear body dragapult is easily the biggest threat to the team, so much so that I've needed to make modifications to the sweeper slots, namely :gengar: --> :weavile:; Assurance Regieleki alone does not cut it.

:Ditto:
The rare scarf ditto will counter sweep if you don't clear rocks.

-----
Replays
Here's a funny replay vs sand for the road:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1608252125-6ag4wio0z8lmiv4g2xw47jlkkqy4kgqpw

A few other replays...
vs another Cheese HO
vs a Cresselia Stall (this is with gravity+focus blast lele. no nature's madness hurts)
vs (another!?) webs
Pure hypnosis cheese vs balance w/ a cool weavile
vs Excadrill + Ditto Stall
vs Double "arcto" Hail
-----​

So that's the team...I hope you like it!

Another link so you don't have to scroll up...
:Regieleki::landorus-therian::slurpuff::Tapu-lele::gengar::blacephalon:
https://pokepast.es/18abbb704d3759b5

Last edited:
Very nice team with many good ideas. Sash Spam HO, Webs+Gravity, Gravity+Hypnosis, Gengar with FocusBlast fitting like a glove...
I would love to see more replays, please add some more!!! =)

Have u tried FocusBlast + Gravity (+Psychic) on Lele? Maybe even with Calm Mind as your last move, but I guess Taunt is too important to preserve the sashes... With Webs up, this should crush a lot of balance teams^^

Looks sick. Keep in Mind Lele gets Gravity, it may be worth adding it over Nature's Madness to have a second setter.
Thanks! I have played around with Gravity on Lele. I did not like dropping nature's madness; the benefits against fat teams were too great to give up, however, I didn't feel too bad about swapping out Moonblast for gravity. Gravity makes sac turns with lele feel very worthwhile. I think this is a good trade!

Very nice team with many good ideas. Sash Spam HO, Webs+Gravity, Gravity+Hypnosis, Gengar with FocusBlast fitting like a glove...
I would love to see more replays, please add some more!!! =)

Have u tried FocusBlast + Gravity (+Psychic) on Lele? Maybe even with Calm Mind as your last move, but I guess Taunt is too important to preserve the sashes... With Webs up, this should crush a lot of balance teams^^
Thank you! I think nature's madness is too valuable to give up. While focus blast under gravity is a wonderful boon for lele specifically, it greatly hurts lele's ability to support the team by taking a big chunk out of anything, not just steels, and especially corvinight. The things Lele clicks focus blast against take about the same amount from Nature's madness. Gravity is definitely an option as Pinkacross had suggested above, but I would drop Moonblast rather than Nature's madness. Taunt and Psychic I would not consider modifying.

I've added a few more replays to the bottom of the post. They're only around 1800, though...I had a rough go of it testing some Magic Room teams yesterday!

Last edited:
Brother, nice team! I could see you love things like "Boom", something almost like this is Victini scarf with Final Gambit, what do you think?! I love it.

Brother, nice team! I could see you love things like "Boom", something almost like this is Victini scarf with Final Gambit, what do you think?! I love it.
Scarf Victini is very good and one of my favorites. I don' think it has a place on this team, but I enjoy making things disappear with Final Gambit!

memesketch

won't look back, i must shine
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Really cool concept and execution! Seeing how free-flowing the team plays with stuff just constantly sleeping and going boom is so satisfying. Did want to let you know that Eleki needs Jolly/Naive with that spread to outspeed +1 Kartana since you mentioned it in the set desc, and that might be necessary because Scarf Kart can 6-0 outright otherwise if the opp clears Webs and gets Rocks up

Really cool concept and execution! Seeing how free-flowing the team plays with stuff just constantly sleeping and going boom is so satisfying. Did want to let you know that Eleki needs Jolly/Naive with that spread to outspeed +1 Kartana since you mentioned it in the set desc, and that might be necessary because Scarf Kart can 6-0 outright otherwise if the opp clears Webs and gets Rocks up
Glad you like it!

Ha you are certainly right about the Regieleki spread, and that was indeed my intent, though it turns out that I have been playing all this time with Adamant! So I suppose that anecdotally, I've not found scarf kartana to be too bad; I've been able to handle manage it with Gengar. I wonder if there are any wild charge/explosion kills that I would miss out on. hmm...

Very nice team! It's cool to see these seldomly seen elements meshed together in an efficient way. By the way, as far as Ultra Beasts with Hypnosis are concerned, have you thought about using Xurkitree? Compared to Blacephalon, it also has Hypnosis and Beast Boost, but a tad more bulk, and it easily gets past Tyranitar with Grass Knot. You could use the 4th slot either for Volt Switch for some momentum, Tail glow to abuse Hypnosis turns, or Gravity (it gets that too). Ooooh, or even accuracy-boosted Zap Cannon thanks to Gravity!

Very nice team! It's cool to see these seldomly seen elements meshed together in an efficient way. By the way, as far as Ultra Beasts with Hypnosis are concerned, have you thought about using Xurkitree? Compared to Blacephalon, it also has Hypnosis and Beast Boost, but a tad more bulk, and it easily gets past Tyranitar with Grass Knot. You could use the 4th slot either for Volt Switch for some momentum, Tail glow to abuse Hypnosis turns, or Gravity (it gets that too). Ooooh, or even accuracy-boosted Zap Cannon thanks to Gravity!
Thank you for the suggestion! Xurkitree does have lots of nice synergies with the team. Unfortunately, it does not learn Tail Glow in generation 8, so Xurkitree lacks the power to punch through things in one hit without the boost. Additionally, it gives defensive landorus free turns to defog, which is the last thing this team wants! If I had to change one of the sweepers, it would be Gengar before Blacephalon.

Hi everyone,

This team has gotten a lot harder to use due to the surge in sand and MONKE. There are two options that can help.

Weavile over Gengar . Kill all the defoggers. Knock off koko's boots. Kill ttar/heatran/fat monke. Fully accurate triple axel is beast. Note that pickpocket will activate on your focus sash activation.

:ss/weavile:
Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt / Swords Dance
- Low Kick
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off

You can swap in Hawlucha over Regieleki if you still want to make it work, though you will really be verging on full cheese at that point. Additionally, you have to play a lot tighter vs rocks if you forgo defog/rapid spin.

:ss/hawlucha:
Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Defog
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Taunt

All in all the team is still viable, but don't expect it to help you with OLT besides getting through mid-ladder quickly and easily. Maybe if Torn/Monke/Sand usage drops down...

really cool team , I would suggest using timid/modest electo ball eleki to abuse the sticky webs and regieleki's natural speed
some notable calcs :(with modest eleki)
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 191-226 (54.2 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 255-302 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 269-317 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 168-199 (41.5 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 253-298 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
it is clearly visible that any mon even which resists a hit cannot switch in safely on a electro ball and if anyway you can get a rapid spin off then the power increases further
(with +1 speed)252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 335-395 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO
all the above calcs are considering sticky web is up
and if you are using terrain extender lele then you wont about to worry much about sucker punches and bullet punches from bisharp and scizor

Last edited:
really cool team , I would suggest using timid/modest electo ball eleki to abuse the sticky webs and regieleki's natural speed
some notable calcs :(with modest eleki)
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 191-226 (54.2 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 255-302 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 269-317 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 168-199 (41.5 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 253-298 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
it is clearly visible that any mon even which resists a hit cannot switch in safely on a electro ball and if anyway you can get a rapid spin off then the power increases further
(with +1 speed)252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 335-395 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO
all the above calcs are considering sticky web is up
and if you are using terrain extender lele then you wont about to worry much about sucker punches and bullet punches from bisharp and scizor
Thanks for the suggestion! Other than ferrothorn, wild charge will actually do more to the targets you want regieleki to hit.

252+ Atk Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 476-562 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 242-285 (59.9 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Transistor Regieleki Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (Assault Vest) Tornadus-Therian: 632-743 (174.5 - 205.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

AV torn actually lives LO electro ball or thunderbolt, which is a real pain for gengar and blacephalon otherwise.

I prefer the physical set, because regieleki is primarily here to stop defogs and clear hazard, not sweep. I would maybe consider dropping extreme speed for Thunder (or Thunderbolt+a little SpA). This would let you kill scarf kartana guaranteed (with 70% accuracy).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)