Grass Knot still glitched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, it's come to my attention that the move Grass Knot is still glitched on Shoddy. Many of us might remember when Grass Knot did an insane amount of damage (it OHKO'ed a specially defensive Skarmory). Fortunately, Colin patched the program relatively quick and "fixed" the problem. However, it seems that Grass Knot now does too little damage. For example, standard LO Mixape's Grass Knot only does around 87% of damage to standard Mixpert Lead when it's supposed to do 105.9% - 124.8%. I would appreciate it if this glitch would be fixed because it's getting really annoying.

Posting to say that I can confirm this glitch, my Ludicolo only did 75% to offensive Suicune in a Grass Knot test when it was supposed to do 93.6% - 111.1%.

Yeah, they made Grass Knot ignore modifiers such as item power boosts and overgrow. I think this was done to stop the other glitch.

Yeah, they made Grass Knot ignore modifiers such as item power boosts and overgrow. I think this was done to stop the other glitch.
Ah, that's lame. But does STAB still provide additional damage? Or is it strictly weight-related damage.

So, can/will this glitch be fixed? If a mod is able to give a response, it would be appreciated (even if the answer is that they're not going to fix it).

I'm fairly certain that no SB bugs are going to be fixed, since SB2 is coming out soon anyway, maybe other reasons..
I don't think that's the case. Serious bugs in SB1 will I believe be fixed. And given the importance of Grass Knot (it is the only option for a number of Pokemon to hit Water-types hard), I'd say this is a serious bug.

Yea, I thought it was strange that a 2+ infernape could only manage 35% on offensive gyarados with grass knot. It is supposed to deal 87.9% - 103.6%, a clear KO for me.

lol. This is starting to become sort of like a petition. However, I doubt it's going to be fixed. It's been around for a while and I'm sure the mods weren't oblivious to its existence. If it was going to be fixed, it would've been fixed by now.

Well, on the principle of Linus law, this is the code for Grass Knot (and Low Kick for that matter, which I presume suffers the same issue)

Code:
/**
     * A move whose power is based on the mass of the opponent.
     */    
    private static class MassBasedMove extends PokemonMove {
        public MassBasedMove(PokemonType type, double accuracy, int pp) {
            super(type, 10, accuracy, pp);
        }
        public int use(BattleMechanics mech, Pokemon user, Pokemon target) {
            final double mass = PokemonMass.getMass(target);
            double power = (double)getPower();
            int p = 0;
            if (mass <= 10.0) {
                p = 20;
            } else if (mass <= 25.0) {
                p = 40;
            } else if (mass <= 50.0) {
                p = 60;
            } else if (mass <= 100.0) {
                p = 80;
            } else if (mass <= 200.0) {
                p = 100;
            } else {
                p = 120;
            }
            setPower((int)(power * ((double)p) / 10.0));
            int damage = super.use(mech, user, target);
            setPower(10);
            return damage;
        }
        public boolean isAttack() {
            return true;
        }
    }
Now, in the standard PokemonMove class, the use method is as follows
Code:
/**
     * Cause a pokemon to use this move on another pokemon.
     */
    public int use(BattleMechanics mech, Pokemon user, Pokemon target) {
        int damage = mech.calculateDamage(this, user, target);
        target.changeHealth(-damage);
        return damage;
    }
I can't seem to find where the damage formula is in the shoddy code.

lol. This is starting to become sort of like a petition. However, I doubt it's going to be fixed. It's been around for a while and I'm sure the mods weren't oblivious to its existence. If it was going to be fixed, it would've been fixed by now.
Then why did you make the topic?

Smogon's core programmers are tied up with the completion of Shoddy Battle 2 and shouldn't be bothered with SB1 any longer. cantab has got the right idea though; the Shoddy Battle code is available to the public, so if anybody is willing to correct it then it would be a lot more likely to be fixed (I honestly don't know how hard it is to implement new code onto the servers).

I do want to note that there was some kind of Grass Knot glitch before the present one (something about ignoring modifiers), so the solution may be a little more complex than just the code cantab presented.

Confirming. I was going to write a warstory with a friend, until we noticed Life Orb Latias' Grass Knot only did 50% to ScarfTar which is obviously wrong. Although it seems to be for only certain pokemon as my defensive Celebi did the right amount to his Tar

As mentioned, the issue appears to be boosts not getting applied. A 'defensive Celebi' presumably has no boost other than STAB.

I really don't know enough Java to fix it myself.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bumping because this is kinda a big deal...

Does anyone who's had experience digging through Shoddy code know why this happens? This honestly seems like a perfectly straightforward glitch.

if I remember correctly, there is no way to fix this without the old glitch coming back. So either it stays this way, ignoring life orb, or it does 30katrillion% to a ghastly.

UberEdit: Anyone else noticed what day the OP was? lol.

Bumping because this is kinda a big deal...

Does anyone who's had experience digging through Shoddy code know why this happens? This honestly seems like a perfectly straightforward glitch.
Doug implemented a fix on CAP. I think it was implemented on SU as well, or should be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)