Other Metagames [Godly Gift] Singularity - Dark Spam Spikes

Glimmer

We own the night
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
:ss/skarmory::ss/weavile::ss/nihilego::ss/tapu-fini::ss/tangrowth::ss/yveltal:

Hi everyone! I had a fun new team that I've had decent success with in test games and ladder, so I decided to do a RMT!

Teambuilding

:skarmory::ss/weavile::nihilego::tapu-fini::tangrowth::ss/yveltal:

Original idea of the team was all about the Dark-Spam core of Weavile and Yveltal. This core tries to take advantage of the fact that defensive Dark-resists either don't have reliable recovery, or loses to one of Weavile or Yveltal.

:ss/skarmory::ss/weavile::nihilego::tapu-fini::tangrowth::ss/yveltal:

Skarmory gives the team Spikes, further increasing the breaking capabilities of the offensive core. I also decided the sets of Weavile and Yveltal at this point, being Boots Swords Dance and Life Orb respectively.

:ss/skarmory::ss/weavile::ss/nihilego::ss/tapu-fini::ss/tangrowth::ss/yveltal:

Fleshing out the team, Tangrowth blankets a lot of special Pokemon in the tier, and Tapu Fini supports the team against Fire- and Fighting-types while providing Defog. Nihilego is a great cleaner because Weavile and Yveltal deal heavy damage to Steel-types early on, knocking off their Leftovers or leaving them low.

Result: https://pokepast.es/611d28ffbc63c69e

Sets

:ss/skarmory:
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Standard Skarmory with Rocky Helmet to punish U-turn from Landorus-T, Rillaboom, and Tornadus-T. Whirlwind was my choice for last slot to not make Skarmory even more passive into set-up like Galarian Moltres that Iron Defense+Body Press cannot beat.

:ss/weavile:
Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Weavile on this team aims to weaken Steel-types and Dark-type resists such as Ferrothorn, Tapu Fini, Heatran, and Diancie; as knocking off their Leftovers severely reduces the longevity giving Yveltal and Nihilego a much easier time.

:ss/nihilego:
Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Grass Knot

Meteor Beam Nihilego is one of the best clean-up Pokemon in the tier, and it appreciates its teammates weakening or removing Steel- and Ground-types. The last move on Nihilego is quite flexible, I chose Grass Knot to deal with a weakened Gastrodon or Seismitoad.

:ss/tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Surf
- Moonblast

Tapu Fini is a great defensive addition that can turn into speed control, while having hazard control and has the ability to distrupt checks like Ferrothorn with Trick.

:ss/tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

Standard Tangrowth to beat everything ranging from Zeraora and Zygarde-10%, to Tapu Fini and Alolan Raichu. Power Whip over Giga Drain beats Calm Mind Tapu Fini more consistently.

:ss/yveltal:
Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

Life Orb Yveltal is a deadly breaker, taking advantage of Oblivion Wing and Dark Aura boosted Dark Pulse to deal heavy damage to unresisted targets.

Threats

:ss/arctozolt::ss/kyurem-black:
Both of these already pretty much unresisted breakers, are quite literally unswitchable into. Kyurem-Black is especially deadly if its a Substitute variant, not being able to lock it into a move with a tricked Choice Scarf leaves no room for counterplay.

Recent Replay from OM Swiss:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8godlygift-1680889130

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
GG Team! I've played a decent amount with the team both on ladder and with friends and it is very solid and fun to use. The core of Yveltal and Nihilego is really strong and I think I might have to build a similar team.

You mentioned that attackers like Arctozolt and Kyurem Black have been slightly problematic and that is definetly true. I experimented with Gastrodon instead of Tangrowth, and I found that it significantly improved this matchup while still being very solid into standard special attackers.
:ss/gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

This is the set I was using, which notably avoids the 2HKO from 170 base Attack Arctozolt. (252+ Atk Arctozolt Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 171-202 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) While this isnt the most solid answer because of Icicle Crash's flinch chance, it is a vastly better matchup than before, and who flinches twice in a row?? I was using Toxic, but Clear Smog is another valid option if you don't want to have to play around your own Misty Terrain.

:ss/tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 76 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Surf
- Moonblast

Another small change I made was to Tapu Fini. This set allows to to outspeed Zamazenta and its Speed receivers, while also denying no bulk Kyurem-B a Substitute or OHKOing it after slight chip. It also helps greatly vs opposing Yveltal, which is a little more threatening with Tangrowth gone.

:ss/yveltal:
Yveltal is a great wallbreaker and pairs really well with Nihilego, Specially defensive Gastrodon can be a slight issue, as even with 99 base Special Defense it can live Meteor Beam into Grass Knot and OHKO Nihilego back with Earthquake. I experimented with Knock Off over Heat Wave on Yveltal, and found them to be about as effective, as Knock Off better pressures Gastrodon and Tangrowth while Heat Wave is much better into Steel-types like Ferrothorn.

Overall the team is really solid and was very fun to use and experiment, hope my suggestions were helpful and I hope you keep building new teams!
Pokepaste with my changes: https://pokepast.es/f5dde26d7be3b3e9

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)