Other Metagames Godly Gift: ponchlake — 04/05/2023 11:30 AM I'm asking the council to ban bright powder just bc of you lol

HiZo

total wild card
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
:pawmot: :houndstone: :amoonguss: :garchomp: :corviknight: :tyranitar:

image.png

Introduction

Very short context, as I didn't expect to build seriously for Godly Gift in gen 9, but ponchlake wanted me to build some teams to test. After some experimentation, ponch wanted me to build a team without using the box legends. So, I hastily built a sand team, that actually did decently well. One bout of wins and explitives later, ponch has decided to bring the team, and it won! UT and ponch have been enjoying the team a lot, especially since its so bad its good.

Teambuilding (note: order is relevant)

:unown: :unown: :unown: :houndstone: :unown: :tyranitar:

Wanted to build sand. Last Respects Houndstone is funny and can absolutely decimate if played correctly. Houndstone has actually some decent stats in defense in SpD. Tyranitar felt like the right choice in Speed. I needed somewhere to dump that slot anyways.

:toxapex: :unown: :unown: :houndstone: :corviknight: :tyranitar:

I was going through ideas for defensive backbones, I started with Toxapex and Corviknight, as Toxapex can handle fighting-type attacks and Corviknight can defog hazards as well as click body press against normal/dark types that can switch into Houndstone.

:toxapex: :unown: :pawmot: :houndstone: :corviknight: :tyranitar:

Pawmot does a few things. A fighting type that can revenge kill threats, an electric immunity, and lastly it clicks Revival Blessing. Revival Blessing allows my team to get a second wind, boosting Last Respects by a potential 100 BP to reach a new maximum of 400 BP.

:toxapex: :houndstone: :pawmot: :garchomp: :corviknight: :tyranitar:

Garchomp gives the team a setup opportunity, and a way to break through stuff that neither Pawmot or an unboosted Houndstone could. Garchomp proved to be incredibly integral to the team's ability to win games.

:pawmot: :houndstone: :amoonguss: :garchomp: :corviknight: :tyranitar:

Toxapex proved to be really passive for this team, and so shuffled Pawmot into HP and placed Amoonguss in defense. Gives a secondary means for speed control, and furthermore, can stop sweeps without autolosing to taunt.

The Team

:sv/pawmot:
Pawmot @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Revival Blessing
- Close Combat
- Double Shock
- Mach Punch

This is a more or less standard offensive Pawmot with a Leppa Berry. Pawmot compliments Houndstone incredibly well. Being a Fighting-type means it can deal a massive amount of damage to normal types that would normally be immune to Last Respects. Furthermore, Revival Blessing gives this team an added edge to regain lost energy because of how reckless this team is supposed to be played. Tera Electric allows you to spam Double Shock, and Mach Punch allows you to revenge kill slightly faster threats weak to fighting types such as Iron Bundle or Chien-Pao.

:sv/houndstone:
Houndstone @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Ghost
Adamant Nature
- Last Respects
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Trick

Houndstone is my main cleaner. Last Respects is a notorious move in its own right, and uses sand to its advantage flawlessly. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill faster threats, and Trick can shut down a tank completely, allowing Houndstone more freedom in moves. I am using Play Rough over Body Press as it hits more relevant targets, as well as using the higher attack stat to do more damage.

:sv/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Tera Blast

Amoonguss functions as an emergency pivot and a disruptor, as speed control is important as heck on this team. Paralysis from Stun Spore especially helps Garchomp get more opportunities to sweep. I am using clear smog as my poison move of choice because this team needs a way to stop sweeps so I have ways to revive dead teammates later on. Tera Fire + Tera Blast was something I experimented with so I can take advantage of Gholdengo and Corviknight willing to sit on Amoonguss. Plus, it allows me to resist key Ice type attacks and revenge kill them.

:sv/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Bright Powder
Ability: Sand Veil
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Substitute

The source of misery. Bight Powder + Sand Veil can absolutely win games. The opponent's attacks have a 30%-ish reduced chance to miss, which makes all the difference combined with Amoonguss's and Tyranitar's ability to spread paralysis. Substitute allows me to fish for setup opportunities with the opponent's missing their moves. Tera Water + Liquidation allows me to 1v1 Ting-Lu and Corviknight as well as give me a way to resist Water and Ice type attacks, and I can get away with this because Sand Veil prevents sand chip.

:sv/corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fairy
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Corviknight is the main "Dark resist". Tera Fairy and Body Press allows me to switch into things such as Roaring Moon, Ting Lu, Meowscarada, and Koraidon/Miraidon if needed. Suggested by ponchlake, Minimum speed on Corviknight allows it underspeed Ting-Lu so it don't get caught by Earthquake. Plus, a very slow pivot allows it to safely get something like Houndstone or Pawmot in the battle.

:sv/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Tyranitar is the sand enabler, so it goes here. Crunch is used to hit Hisuian Zoroark, or annoying Psychic/Ghost types I don't have another switch in for. Thunder Wave is the other way to achieve speed control on this team. Rest is used to regain health, which is important for keeping sand up long term alongside Revival Blessing on Pawmot. Suggested by ponchlake, Tera Steel removes the Fairy weakness, Steel Weakness, and susceptibility to Toxic. The extra steel resist is important because it allows me to just barely 1v1 Iron Bundle and Nasty Plot Gholdengo without Focus Blast.

Threats

Gholdengo: Sucky mon, and you might have to inevitably waste a tera. Garchomp can beat it if its slow, but if its fast then you need to tank a hit with a Tera'd Amoonguss or Tyranitar and KO it back.

Sticky Web: Not the end of the world, if the opponent has webs but doesn't have a way to prevent webs from leaving the field, then its a minor nuisance at worst. If they do, then forfeit.

Iron Defense Garganacl: This is an especially rough matchup, but if you can predict and trick the Choice Band onto Garg, then you should be smooth sailing. If not then you need to countersetup with Garchomp or whittle it down with Amoonguss.

Slowking: Annoying mon with the ability to change the weather. You just need to take advantage of its passivity and threaten it out with Houndstone, Pawmot, or Tyranitar.

Koraidon/Miraidon: Set sand up and pray they miss and Garchomp kills. Depending on the set you might be able to eek out a victory but its unlikely since it was built without them in mind.

Iron Bundle/Chien-Pao: Going to be hard to find a switch in to Ice-type moves in general. Pawmot is a workable offensive revenge killer, Tera Amoonguss or Tyranitar can work in a pinch, and Corviknight with Houndstone's SpD has the ability to just barely switch in on both and click Body Press.

Conclusion

I might be back in the saddle, primarily to build friendship ruining teams. Thanks to UT for allowing me to throw whatever I had at them and ponchlake for co-building this team (to an extent) and having faith in me to build godly gift in gen 9. Special thanks as well to HoeenHero and an anonymous friend for enabling my tendency to ruin things.

Pawmot @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Electric
Jolly Nature
- Revival Blessing
- Close Combat
- Double Shock
- Mach Punch

Houndstone @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Ghost
Adamant Nature
- Last Respects
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Trick

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fire
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Tera Blast

Garchomp @ Bright Powder
Ability: Sand Veil
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Substitute

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fairy
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)