Gnosis steals 1.3 million user accounts + passwords from Gawker (Kotaku, Gizmodo etc)

http://goo.gl/8WVeD

A group of hackers [sic] hacked Gawker Media, stealing close to 1.2 million user credentials. People who frequent Gawker sites are freaking out about it as well.

FirestormEdit:
Here's the quickest way to check if your account info is out there:

1. http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/
2. Enter your email address under "Input", and click on "MD5". Copy the "Result".
3. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=350662
4. Click on "Show Options" and change the filter to "MD5". Paste the copied "Result" and see if it shows up on search. If ANYTHING shows up on the search result (e.g. xxxx.com where xxxx is the domain of your email address) it does then your password has been compromised and sooner or later will be hacked if they feel like it.
This topic has been split as it has nothing to do with wikileaks.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Gawker claims it was just their twitter account that was hacked and that actual user data is still protected. Source

Update: Perhaps Gawker spoke too soon.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
http://www.mediaite.com/online/excl...lains-method-and-reasoning-behind-his-actions

I don't know why Gnosis chose this media outlet among other, more well known ones, so if you believe the email exchange was from Gnosis, and all the information is to be believed, they are an interesting bunch to say the least.

The source code has indeed been leaked already, it can be found on Pirate Bay, along with the aforementioned 1.3million emails. I know some people are lax about their passwords, but come on, 2650 apparently using 'password' as a password, and some of those are from government and education addresses?

The question is, does this attack signal the sign of things to come? Gnosis denies they have plans for hacking other places in the future, but I hear on the BBC news that Anonymous has declared this the start of a 'cyber war'. Gnosis have made it clear they are a seperate group from Anonymous, so just what their role is in this cyber war remains to be seen.

The concern I have is that all these recent hacks will lead to further clamp downs on the internet, especially when it comes to freedom of speech. Getting back to the topic at hand, this is also a concern for Wikileaks, since they use the internet to distribute their material and may find themselves in future blocked or closed down due to the reaction from upcoming cyber security legislation.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The question is, does this attack signal the sign of things to come? Gnosis denies they have plans for hacking other places in the future, but I hear on the BBC news that Anonymous has declared this the start of a 'cyber war'. Gnosis have made it clear they are a seperate group from Anonymous, so just what their role is in this cyber war remains to be seen.
That's pretty dumb when you consider literally anyone could post an image on 4chan declaring a "cyber war" and it would be attributable to Anonymous.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
split from the wikileaks topic as this has nothing to do with wikileaks.

Also, if this is true, goddamn:

This is why I tell you all to stop visiting that pile of shit Kotaku. Gizmodo is about as bad. Lifehacker is honestly the only worthwhile site on that network.

How am I gonna get my unnecessarily biased topics and horribly written entries?????
Oh Kotaku, you used be ok when you were modest. ): (Still gonna go on there, nonetheless xD)

Thankfully, I haven't been compromised. And hopefully, Gawker will fix their God awful "security" paper house. That is, if they learned anything from this.

The whole "cyber war" thing is also pretty ridiculous.

Simply by waging a cyber war you are feeding the most malignant of those trying to fight it, kind of like Iraq but in a medium that isn't sand.

The BBC are complete lols. However they do have some actually rather interesting shit on their site, unfortunatley none of it is to do with computers. On a slightly related note, did anyone see the video of the riots in London over the Uni fee rise and there were multiple people wearing those masks that the people of 4chan, mainly /b/ iirc, wear all the time. I think that one of them got smashed in the face by a riot cop. /Totally not off topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)