Gigigear

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Gigigear

Gigigear is the final form of one of the first new Pokemon to be revealed for the fifth generation. It boasts good Attack and Defense, and is fast compared to other defensively-focused Pokemon. The biggest draw for using this Pokemon is its boosting move, "Gear Change," which boosts its Attack one stage and its Speed two stages!

Code:
[B]#601 Gigigear[/B]
Typing: Steel
Ability 1:
     Plus
     Pokemon's Special Attack raises 50% when ally has Minus.
Ability 2:
     Minus
     Pokemon's Special Attack raises 50% when ally has Plus.
Ability 3: (Dream World)
     [B]Clear Body[/B]
     Pokemon's stats can't be reduced by other Pokemon.

[B]Base Stats:[/B]

HP:  60
Atk: 100
Def: 115
SpA: 70
SpD: 85
Spe: 90 

[B]Movepool (notable moves bolded):[/B]

[B]Pre-Evo Moves:[/B]
-  

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Vicegrip
Lv1: Charge
Lv1: ThunderShock
Lv1: Gear Saucer
Lv6: Charge
Lv11: ThunderShock
[B]Lv16: Gear Saucer[/B]
Lv21: Bind
Lv25: Charge Beam
Lv31: Body Purge
Lv36: Mirror Shot
Lv40: Screech
Lv44: Discharge
Lv48: Metal Sound
[B]Lv54: Gear Change[/B]
Lv60: Lock-On
Lv66: Zap Cannon
Lv72: Hyper Beam

Gear Saucer: Steel Physical PP: 15 / Power: 50 / Accuracy: 85
Hits twice.

Body Purge: Steel Other PP: 15 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Raises Speed 2 stages.

Gear Change: Steel Other PP: 10 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Raises Attack 1 stage and Speed 2 stages.

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
[B]TM06 - Toxic[/B]
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
[B]TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return[/B]
TM32 - Double Team
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Troll
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
[B]TM72 - Volt Change[/B]
[B]TM73 - Thunder Wave[/B]
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Rock Smash

Troll: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.

Volt Change: Electric Special Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100
Switch with ally.
Here are some notable tricks it can pull:

• Gigigear's signature move Gear Change is one of the best boosting moves out there, raising Attack one stage and Speed two stages. It's like Dragon Dance on speed. It also has the stats to use it (Base 100 Attack and 90 Speed). After one use, Gigigear can outspeed base 145 Pokemon with a neutral nature and no speed investment. Investing in speed allows it to outspeed Choice Scarfed base 115 Pokemon, making it difficult to revenge kill with natural speed alone. Priority is still a problem though, as Gigigear is weak to Mach Punch.
  • Its best STAB move Gear Saucer resembles Meteor Mash except that it trades in the possibility of attack boosting for the ability to damage through Substitutes (clarification - it accomplishes this by hitting twice like Ambipom's Double Hit).
  • If it is accessible in the Dream World, the Clear Body ability is the only one of use, but it is still valuable by blocking Intimidate. Plus and Minus force it to be paired with other Pokemon equally vulnerable to Earthquake.
  • Its physical bulk is comparable to Bronzong. It could try a physical walling set that takes advantage of its steel typing and its high natural speed for a defensive Pokemon. As mentioned above, the Earthquake weakness is a downer.
  • Volt Change allows it to escape Magnet Pull Pokemon. In particular, Magnezone is a Pokemon Gigigear has a hard time damaging.
  • However, Gigigear's movepool is virtually barren except for the above mentioned options, severely limiting what it can do. It is this fact that keeps Gigigear from being a likely contender in high tiers.
Sample sets:

Name: Gear Change Abuse
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
252 Atk / 124 Spe / 132 SpA
Nature: Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
- Gear Change
- Gear Saucer
- Return/Thunderbolt
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Ground)/Volt Change

Gear Saucer and Return are the only good (or even remotely decent) physical attacks to use alongside the +1 Attack/+2 Speed Gear Change. Thunderbolt gives Skarmory a run for its money, 2HKOing even specially-defensive variants with the given EVs and Life Orb, while Life Orb Hidden Power Ground with the same EVs OHKOs typical Magnezones that may try to trap it. Volt Change is another option for escaping Magnet Pullers for those who do not want to invest in Special Attack (even if you have to lose any boosts you already had). You could always wait until Magnezone is removed before attempting to use Gigigear, but it has nothing else noteworthy in its movepool you'd really want to use instead. The speed EVs given allow Gigigear to outspeed +1 Base 100 Speed Pokemon after a Gear Change.

Name: Support Gear
Item: Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Gear Saucer
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Change

This is an attempt to use Gigigear's respectable Defense stat. Double status is about the best it can do defensively, and Volt Change is even more important without a good way to harm Magnet Pullers. The EVs could possibly be refined to take weak special hits or to take advantage of its good speed for a wall, but the set as a whole is probably a waste of Gigigear's potential without its best boosting move.

Countering Gigigear:

Gigigear has few options to get around other Steels, and Magnet Pull Pokemon are even worse. Without Hidden Power Ground (or to a lesser extent Volt Change), it fears Magnezone.

Once it's sped up, priority can put a damper on its sweep, as its Steel typing gives it a weakness to Mach Punch, and it has no priority of its own.

Most special attackers that can take a hit from it can attack it on its weaker Special Defense and take it out easily.

Conclusion:

Despite its terrible movepool, I'm geared up to try out the sets it can use. Gear Change gives Gigigear plenty of potential, but I think its movepool is going to let it down and keep it from joining the high tiers.

I personally never really liked Gear when it was released, nor am I fond of Gigigear.
Seriously, its name sounds like a Regigigas ripoff.

But names aside, I agree with your analysis and opinions, and I also believe Gigigear can be compared to Bronzong in the Physical Walling Department, though as more of a cousin than a rival. 100 Defense and Pure Steel typing are nice, yes, however Gigigear seems to be more offensively inclined than bellboy Bronzong, what with its base 110 attack and 90 Speed, plus Gear Change.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Wow I can't believe how good his signature move is. Too bad his movepool and stab are so lacking.

I fell in love with Gear when it was first revealed. I have a strange taste in Pokemon(My fav's Dunsparce, who's Japanese name is my user name), and Gear, Gigear, and Gigigear are just the type of Pokemon I was looking for. I will admit I'm dissapointed with its small movepool, but I'll suck it up and definately use it on my team. I hope getting a DW Gear with a decent Nature and IVs isn't TOO hard...

Gear Saucer can hit through subs? That is actually pretty damn useful, and could totally throw a wrench in the works of Stall again.

Couldn't it run HP Fire to hit both Skarmory, and Magnezone for 'decent' damage? Thunderbolt has a lot more power, but has coverage issues, while HP Ground has an obvious immunity that Bronzong/Skarmory will exploit.

With fairly good speed and more importantly access to volt change (U-turn), it could easily run a mixed choice set.

Gigigear @ Choice Scarf
Naive 252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Gear Saucer
Volt Change
Thunderbolt
HP Ground

It could serve as a decent check to DD Gyara with thunderbolt, and could bait out magnezone and heatran and 2HKO them with HP Ground. Also, if lucario has suffered a bit of recoil damage from LO or has a defense drop from Close Combat it could reliably revenge kill Swords Dance variants. The scouting ability of volt change is also nice to have.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Couldn't it run HP Fire to hit both Skarmory, and Magnezone for 'decent' damage? Thunderbolt has a lot more power, but has coverage issues, while HP Ground has an obvious immunity that Bronzong/Skarmory will exploit.
My issue with HP Fire is that it doesn't do what I want it to do against Magnezone. It is my opinion that you really need the OHKO on it, because its Thunderbolt is extremely painful and could put you in range for the next Pokemon to pick you off with priority.

With fairly good speed and more importantly access to volt change (U-turn), it could easily run a mixed choice set.

Gigigear @ Choice Scarf
Naive 252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Gear Saucer
Volt Change
Thunderbolt
HP Ground

It could serve as a decent check to DD Gyara with thunderbolt, and could bait out magnezone and heatran and 2HKO them with HP Ground. Also, if lucario has suffered a bit of recoil damage from LO or has a defense drop from Close Combat it could reliably revenge kill Swords Dance variants. The scouting ability of volt change is also nice to have.
What's the draw to using this instead of Jirachi? Jirachi hits quite a bit better against what this is trying to lure (nobody's going to get excited about 177 SpA), and Clear Body is not really relevant if you switch in to Gyarados. I think most sets without Gear Change are asking to be outclassed - its stats are well-placed for receiving those boosts, but without Gear Change, its movepool and subpar SpA will be its downfall.

---

Speaking of Gear Change, if you wanted bulk over mixed action, you could try 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe Adamant or similar with Gear Change/Gear Saucer/Return/Volt Change. It loses out on hitting Skarmory and Magnezone well, but it takes hits better and still can get around Magnet Pull.

What's the draw to using this instead of Jirachi? Jirachi hits quite a bit better against what this is trying to lure (nobody's going to get excited about 177 SpA), and Clear Body is not really relevant if you switch in to Gyarados. I think most sets without Gear Change are asking to be outclassed - its stats are well-placed for receiving those boosts, but without Gear Change, its movepool and subpar SpA will be its downfall.
I agree. There's some novelty in a mixed set, and it's probably workable, but there are definitley much better options. Gigigear's primary strength seems to lie in boosting its Attack/Speed and bypassing subStallers. Even if he doesn't surpass Bronzong, he fits a unique niche that will be fun to see play out. Definitely one to look out for.

So much potential ruined by a terrible movepool :(
Could still work to some extent with Thunderbolt/Volt Change for Skarmory (and others).

While Electric and Steel have decent coverage, I feel that base 70 SpA isn't going to cut it at all on a mixed set. Unless you rack up some Charge Beam boosts somehow, it's just not hitting hard enough. If it had a physical Electric attack (that doesn't force it to switch) it might stand a chance.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Alright, I did not notice there was a thread dedicated to this mon, and I ended up posting my own. Here are some sets I had thought could work for Gigi:

Code:
Geared for Doubles/Triples @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Plus/Minus
Modest
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
-Gear Change
-Discharge/Volt Change/Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Return/Hidden Power Water/Ground/Fire/Rest/Troll

With this set, Gigigiaru plans to fix its mediocre Speed with Gear Change.
Discharge allows it to hit all your opponent’s pokemon including your own (the only downside), and it gives you a chance to paralyze your opponent’s pokemon.
Volt Change could be used instead, but you lose out on the boosts, 
so Hidden Power Water could take Gear Change’s spot instead if you decide to run Volt Change.
Thunderbolt is also an option.  Flash Cannon allows a solid and strong special STAB.
If you decide to go mixed, Gear Saucer could work.  The third slot is up to preference/teammates on the field.
Return is there for a strong Physically based attack so that Gear Change’s boosts don’t go to waste.
Hidden Power Water gives Gigigiaru the ability to remove/damage any of its counters.
Rest allows a form of healing (especially since there are likely to be more clerics running about in Doubles/Triples now).
 And Troll is just there if you decide to do use Troll on each of your Pokemon.

Geared for Singles @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Gear Change
-Return
-Gear Saucer
-Thunder Wave/Substitute/Toxic

Sadly, Gigigiaru has very limited options for Physical Sweeping.
Even with it’s unique move, Gear Change, Gigigiaru struggles to find some decent coverage.
However, it can still utilize what moves it has to make it into a semi-useful Support Sweeper.

Geared for Trick Room @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def 
-Trick Room
-Toxic/Thunder Wave
-Return
-Gear Saucer

or

Geared for Trick Room @ Leftovers
Modest
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
-Trick Room
-Toxic/Thunderwave/Rest
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Water/Fire/Ground

Gigigiaru has the ability to set up Trick Room, giving it an Support option outside of the Sweeper sets.
If running Gigigiaru in a Single battle, it is better to equip Gigigiaru with it’s Physical attacks because it’s Special Attack problem.
However, if you are planning to use Gigigiaru in a Double or Triple Trick Room environment,
giving it Special moves allows it to have much more coverage.
HP EVs are for added bulk, since Gigi isn’t going to see itself being too fast.

May I remind every one that Gear Saucer is a two hit move. Thats ONE reason to use it over Jirachi... It breaks substitutes and does a nice hefty amount of damage. (BP is 50 per hit: 100 damage plus stab.)

Although I REALLY wanna use him in 1v1, I think he'll fair VERY well in 3v3. I already have a plusle and minun team so if I add him with those to in a 3v3 battle his special attack will be sharply raised as long as minun and plusle survive! Have them protect while he blows some discharges at the foe and they'll be a scary combo. Don't worry I got Equake covered.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys are trying to run mixed sets when he has toxic, t wave, substitute, or even rest in his arsenal.

Imo- Max out attack and speed, give him toxic or t wave along with the 2 staples, and either sub or the other status (preferably sub).

A defensive set would be even better.

edit - I'm talking about UU, this guy doesn't cut OU.

I've seen some of the other Pokemon threads using Rock Smash as an option on other Pokemon with small Movepools. Maybe Gigigear Could use it? It can hit Pokemon like Magnezone and Nuttre harder than any of his other moves(Though leaving him out with the Mole is a bad idea to begin with). Can someone do some calulations on whether Gigigear's Neutral Thunderbolt does more damage than a SE Rocksmash on other Steels, like Lucario, after a Gear Change?

Edit: Lucario's a bad example, as he could probably destroy Gigigear with STAB Fighting attacks.

Gear Change set needs Shed Shell. Actually it kind of needs it on all sets. this is my set, which is similar to yours but for a few changes:

pkmn-taicho321 said:
Clock Work Boosting
Adamant Gigigear @ Shed Shell
Clear Body
~ Gear Change: +1 Atk +2 Spe
~ Gear Saucer
~ Thunder Bolt
~ Toxic
232 Atk / 178 SpAtk / 100 Hp

An interesting set. Gear Saucer is a base 50 move that hits twice, effectively 150 Bp and hits through subs, and 85% Acc. isn't too bad. However, of course Gamefreak had to go and give Gigigear such an amazing move in Gear Change, and then proceed to cripple it by giving it only two viable physical attacking types... Normal and Steel. I mean it gets Rock Smash, but big whoop! Here's to hoping Gray has a Superpower move tutor or something.

To try and remedy this, the gears go mixed! 70 SpAtk could be better, but it could also be horridly worse. Thunderbolt should help against your Water and Flying types and do a little damage to your inevitable Heatran switch ins.

Magnezone completely walls and traps this set, so Shed Shell is a must carry item for this set, otherwise have fun being Steel Killer Zone's set up fodder

The fact that it has to use hp ground instead of learning earthquake should say enough.
Yeah they really needed to give him at least Super Power... like I was saying, maybe in Gray? They always do this in the first off of the generation, make us wait for Emerald / Platinum / Gray (or whatever they actually wind up calling it) for all the real move sets. I hope some pokemon get good tutor boosts.

I was actually thinking about a gimmicky-gear With Gear Change, Gear Saucer, and Rock Smash, and filler (Return for 102BP, T-Wave for support, Volt Change for a quick change...I haven't thought too much about the last move......)

Haven't worked out EVs or anything yet, but the main point of Rock Smash is to desperately hope for the 50% chance of a defense drop, and because it gives at least some coverage....despite 50 BP....

I'm really relying on move tutors in Grey (just gonna call it that because I don't have the faintest ide what it will be called otherwise....) to give him something....

I was also thinking maybe a special set, because while 70 is only OK and nothing sensational, it's bulk and at least somewhat wider special move pool can at least give it some purpose....

Name: SubGear
Item: Leftovers
132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Nature: (+Atk, -SpA)
- Gear Change
- Gear Saucer
- Return
- Substitue / protect

The idea of this set is to grab a single gear change, when they switch foretress/scizor/jirachi/bulky steel you create a sub, which protects against gay status and explosions. (If they have flamethrower or something that will 1 hit you, switch out and try to sweep later).Then you would get as many gear changes as possible and try and muscle thru their wall.

Gigigear, is in my opinion a nice pokemon with good stats, hate the design and will never, unless it turns out to have a nice backspirite, will never ever see the daylight on one of my teams...

They at least need to give him a good physical Electric move...

Those stats along with Gear Change seem to give the illusion of having great potential, but his movepool is just pathetic. The fact that we're considering Return and Rock Smash as filler moves is sad.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gigigear's Problem is that it has a really small movepool. The fact that it only has 8 Physical moves (Vicegrip, Gear Saucer, Bind, Frustration, Return, Facade, Giga Impact, & Rock Smash, of which, only Gear Saucer & Return are worth Considering) to use off its Base 100 Attack is just bad. They didn't even give it a reliable recovery move to use. That say's a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)