Generic (deadly) Sandstorm

This has been one of my most sucessful teams in Pokemon Online. It has had many easy wins, but a few hard losses. My goal was to play around with landlos and Doryuuzu.

Lead:

Machamp (M)

Nature:Adamant
EV: 252 hp/ 228 attk/ 24 spe
item: lum berry
nature: no guard

moves:
Dynamicpunch
payback
stone edge
bullet punch

A generic machamp lead. It can dispose of one, and sometimes two pokemon before fainting. I don't have another lead that i would like to use for this team, but would change the machamp. Dynamc punch is my main move here, and the confusion helps me take down defensive pokemon faster. his bulk is great enough to take a hit or two, amybe three. The worst lead threat here is hipowdon. It is defensive, can slack off stall, and can roar me out. He is a slow paced fighter, and won't be fighting in sandstorms often, but sometimes i will switch him out. (or be forced to switch out)

Tyranitar (F)

Nature:sassy
EV: 252 hp/ 128 attk/ 128 spA
item: leftovers
nature: sandstream

moves:
stone edge
crunch
earthquake
flamethrower

My sandstreamer. I won't send it out until any politoads have been dispatched, as they seem common these days. flamethrower is for skarmory, something this team used to have problems with. I chose him over hipowdon for his power and ability to go mixed. flamethower is vital, as it can take out and tricky skarmory. It works in the same way as machamp, taking a turn to take a hit, adn hitting back for a KO. crunch is for the ghosts and rare psychics. shandera takes fighting moves and revenge kills for him.

Landros (M)

Nature:jolly
EV: 4 hp/ 252 attk/ 252 spe
item: life orb
nature: sand power

moves:
stone edge
brick break
earthquake
rock polish

now we're talking! this guy hits hard with these moves, EVs, and life orb. if I can predict an obvious switch, or know something can't kill me, I will use rock polish. Of my tri-core sandstorm team, he is the hard hitter. 101 speed is good, and beats 100's. he can switch into slow EQ users and hits like a truck. (very cliche') coverage is small, but workable. i mostly use edgequake as those are the only moves the ability effects. i've heard sword dance and leftovers recomended, but i find life orb just fine, as he is a quick hitter that does'nt require settup, other than sandstorm.

Doryuuzu (M)

Nature:jolly
EV: 192 hp/ 252 attk/ 64 spe
nature: sand throw

moves:
rock slide
X-scissor
earthquake
brick break

a speed of 500 is almost unmachable, and his attack + movepool are a deadly combination. I often find him taking out the last two pokemon of a team. Of my tri-core sandstorm team, he is the fastest. X scizzor is vital here, as it is my only way of deaing with dark, and it also gives coverage for psychic and grass. Grass can be a problem on this team, and this is my way of getting past that. Same as for landros, I don't find sword dance necesary for any important KOs (I may be wrong) unlike Landros, Doryuuzu can survive many hits that the other cannot. He works as a revenge killer because of his speed, and resistance to bullet punch and extreamspeed. Aqua jet can be a problem.

Starmie (x)

Nature:timid
EV: 4 hp/ 252 spA/ 252 spe
nature: natural cure

moves:
hydro pump
psycho shock
ice beam
thunder bolt

My all time favorite pokemon! It has caused me more rage quits on shoddy than anything else. It fits on this team as a counter to any other sandstormers, jaroda, and anything else weak to it's moves. Unfortunately, it takes a few hits (can't remember if it's two or three) to take out a Blissey using the new psycho shock. Starmie is the only water, ice, and electric on thins team. BoltBeam and STAB make him a great sweeper, very important for taking out sandstorm's threats. most switch ins will take a heavy blow from an attack, then take another attack for a KO. For example, this starmie has taken out scizzor before with hydro pump, but only after a thunderbolt. I prefer not to use rapid spin, as that will make likely lose me starmie and Stealth rock isn't a big threat for this team. (maybe for shandera)

Shandera (F)

Nature:timid
EV: 4 hp/ 252 spA/ 252 spe
item: choice scarf
nature: shadow tag

moves:
fire blast
shadow ball
energy ball
psychic

a generic revenge killing shandera. I enjoy it's power, and can usualy use it twice in a battle by switching out. Problem is, I often times will need (want) to use it early, and my opponent will usually be able to send in something that resists my choiced move. choice is the problem here. many and most switch ins will be resistant to his move, so i willl either a) hit for some damage and take the KO. or b) switch. Switching is harder, but landlos can often take an EQ or earth power. Heatran is a comon switch in, and landros is a great switch in to him. being chocied into earth power forces them to switch, giving me a chance to rock polish. on occasions, they aren't choiced, and HP oce takes landros.

PROBLEMS:

I feel like the EV spreads on Machamp, Tyranitar, and Doryuuzu were blindly written.

Machamp: 24 spe was to outspeed other machap with 252/252/4, but I have read elsewhere of other combinations that utilize the defenses. and I'm not to sure about the speeds of the new metagame, and what new threats can be outsped with what speed.

Tyranitar: Max hp is self explanitory, but the attack and spA are just evened out. sassy was also a blind move to get a spA boost.

Doryuuzu: I saw in a thread a doryuuzu with 500 spe, and that is what made me want to do this. the hp investment is nice, and it can really give me a chance to survive something. Other doryuuzu can almost always outspeed me, but im not sure what a standard doryuuzu (no, i dont want to use balloon) is using.

Team synergy:

With a sandstorm running, the core performs well, and Shandera and starmie work too fast for the residual damage to do any real harm. Problem is, I can't switch comfortably with this team, and often find myself revenge killing everything. The types are repetitive, and no pokemon here can switch in well.

Threats:

other sandstorm teams.
They work the same way i do, and i cant use the boosts well because they get them too. Also, my type coverage with moves is shallow around them, and can't do any real harm.

other weather teams.
mostly rain, I haven't seen much sun and hail. If they use just leads to set up weather, then I'm fine (what machamp is for) Unless they switch, I have to lure them out later before sending in tyranitar. Shandera and tyranitar lure politoad, and shandera's energy ball is great for taking them out, as well as starmie's thunderbolt.

conclusion:

This team is a great team that takes out almost any unprepared team. The constant attacks keep opponents on their toes. The problem is that there isn't much good team synergy outside of that. (I feel so, and this has been my problem for a while.) My other problems are the EV spreads. Half are blindly written, and this is my biggest concern right now. Also is the team typings. half are weak to water, and i don't have any important resistances.

Any coments and criticism are appreciated! I know that this team can be a top threat! Thanks in advance!!

Just 2 quick nitpicks but x scissor over brick break on doryuzzu. This hits celebi,bronzong and breloom harder and prevents ditto from defeating you.

Use swords dance on landlos. You already have enough speed as you are running max jolly and have base 102
GL with the team

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
With the new lead mechanics I have found that having a designated anti-lead is often a waste, as most of the time the opponent will send in something that counters your lead. As such I would consider trying a techiloom over you Machamp. It is able to very effectively deal with Rain and Sandstorm that could give you trouble. You would want:

12 HP/252 Atk/ 244 Spe

Spore
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Focus Punch/Stone Edge/Sword Dance/Substitute

The item choice is really up to you but Expert Belt, Life Orb, Leftovers, or shed shell if your worried about Shandera would all work effectively.

And like Plusle said you really should be using Sword Dance on your Doryuuzu.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, I like it . . . it's been a while since I've seen such a dedicated full-offensive team. It's got all the right elements-- Tyranitar to change the weather and remove leftovers from enemies, two massively powerful sweepers with somewhat repetitive coverage to open each other's sweeps, and powerful anti-water and trapping support.

My only real suggestion would be to try replacing Machamp with a powerful offensive Grass type, because Machamp lacks something in the department of useful resistances (for your team), and is somewhat repetitive with the rest of it. On the smogon ladders, team preview is used even in DW, making dedicated leads like Machamp kind of irrelevant.

Mind giving Breloom or Jaroda a shot? Shaymin S could potentially good as well, but I personally think breloom would be the best fit.

The thing is, Machamp can take out 1 enemy yes, but Breloom and Darkrai have an even greater chance of taking out 1 or even 2 enemies should they be packing a substitute.

Here's some reasoning I use when team building?

Q: Is there any reason NOT to use Darkrai in this metagame?

A: No, not really . . . Darkrai is so good, it should be on every team . . . wait!

Breloom is a really amazing pokemon, but it makes no sense to put it on the same team as Darkrai.

Conclusion: Darkrai OR Breloom should be on every team.

That seems like an exhageration, but it holds pretty true in my book. >___>

Personally I think Garchomp should be on this team. It isn't on the initial banlist and it is a frighteningly powerful sweeper, and it abuses your SS with sand veil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)