Generational Breakdown of Regional Pokedexes

Also, the reason Kalos consistently is low on the rankings for regional dexs is very simple: There just aren't that many Kalos Pokemon. There's only 72 of them including all legendaries, and they can't even buff that number with regional forms. When you consider the amount of 3-stage lines in Kalos as well (Aegi, starters, Florges, Goodra, Talonflame, Vivillion whoops that's it....), that 72 gets smaller and smaller. I just think you don't notice it as much due to all the Megas that are added and the aforementioned huge regional Dex.
With that in mind, it's also worth remembering that Unova's vast amounts of Pokemon in regional Dexs can be attributed to, uh, Unova's vast amounts of Pokemon. Gen 1 just about edges it for size if you discount the legendaries (Gen 5 has 13 of them, 14 if you count Volcarona...), but other than that Gen 5's 156 Pokemon (remembering to count Victini) is the most added by a single generation.
Even accounting for the small generation size, SM's gen 6 representation being a mere 14 is still kind of appalling.

Otherwise its count being in the 30s is otherwise fine, though it could still honestly get to like 50s without much issue...

to be fair, I dont think theres much to add from alola to crown tundra. the lack of crabominable is weird but alola has 5 ice types with 4 of them being regional forms. any additions should have been in isle of armor
Good point. That said, I still think they could have added a few more at least. Bruxish could have been in the water areas, and Minior could have been on top of the mountain or maybe in the caves? Some of the others could also have been in the fields and grassy areas of the CT even if they probably are better suited for a warmer climate.
Also, the reason Kalos consistently is low on the rankings for regional dexs is very simple: There just aren't that many Kalos Pokemon. There's only 72 of them including all legendaries, and they can't even buff that number with regional forms. When you consider the amount of 3-stage lines in Kalos as well (Aegi, starters, Florges, Goodra, Talonflame, Vivillion whoops that's it....), that 72 gets smaller and smaller. I just think you don't notice it as much due to all the Megas that are added and the aforementioned huge regional Dex.
With that in mind, it's also worth remembering that Unova's vast amounts of Pokemon in regional Dexs can be attributed to, uh, Unova's vast amounts of Pokemon. Gen 1 just about edges it for size if you discount the legendaries (Gen 5 has 13 of them, 14 if you count Volcarona...), but other than that Gen 5's 156 Pokemon (remembering to count Victini) is the most added by a single generation.
And this is also a good point, but as R_N said, having the lowest amount of Pokémon is not really an excuse to have as few as 14 Kalos Pokémon in the Alola dex in S/M. I think S/S did a way better job, they took the low amount of Pokémon from Gen 6 (and Gen 7) into account but it doesn't feel like they gave either of them too little. If anything, I think they failed more by having too few Pokémon from some of the bigger regions.
Kalos has more three-stage lines and fewer regular one-stage Pokémon compared to Alola, but it also has considerably fewer one-stage special Pokémon (UBs/legendary/mythical). Kalos has 6 while Alola has 17. Alola also has three special Pokémon that evolve (the Type: Null, Cosmog and Poipole lines), which make up 8 of the Alola Pokémon on the whole. So I think it should be just as easy if not easier for Kalos to have just as great representation as Alola. Which I think it mostly has in Gen 8, so that's good.
As for Unova, that's also a good point. But that just makes it worse seeing how they had so few Unova Pokémon in Gen 7 when Kanto has considerably more Pokémon, they are about equally sized even if we include the legendaries/mythicals. But at the same time, I guess Unova getting more and better representation in Gen 8 could be seen as a compensation for that.

I also came up with another thing which I guess I should have included in my previous post, but that I completely forgot about. The overall total number of available and missing Pokémon in S/S (as of now). Here are the statistics for that:

Total number of included and missing Pokémon in S/S
672 Pokémon in the games (74,8%)
226 Pokémon missing (25,2%)

So that's actually quite good, almost 75% of all existing Pokémon are in the games now. Even if the number of course should have been 100%. Still, I consider it to be a big improvement over the base game without the DLC.

*blows dust off the topic*

So hey how about that new Pokemon game out, eh?

Over all a pretty good distribution, I think. None of them are SUPER out of lockstep with each other or anything.
Some notes & observations:
  • Considering how SWSH is still, like around, there's a surprisingly large number of Galar folks in this game
  • Gen 6 & 7 saw an unfortunate drop off
  • I was also surprised to see so many Gen 4 pokemon, I figured between BDSP & LA they'd have it "out of their system"
  • Significant decrease in Gen 5 pokemon. I think this can be attributed to wanting a more even spread over all, needing to account for another generation of pokemon being drawn from, as well as there being more gen 9 pokemon in general
  • Exactly the same number of Gen 3 pokemon as in base game Galar
  • I once again excluded "Foreign" pokemon, the ones you can only get by transfer and such for consistency
  • Likewise that means that Quagsire & Perrserker, who are obtainable in game through trades but not in the dex, are left out. You can add +1 to the Gen 2 & 8 counts if you like

Also, I suppose, may as well share Legends Arceus? I dragged my heels on this for a while because well I mean.

Not really much to say here. It's a small dex primarily focused on Gen 4 Pokemon and most (though not all) of the Gen 1-3 pokemon it was grabbing in the Sinnoh dexes, with some more modern Pokemon scattered in for flavor.

I feel the idea is to prioritise recent players -- if you're using the transfer feature of HOME then there's a higher likelihood you've played the most recent games than say gen 5 or 6, so they put in a higher percentage of PLA and SWSH pokemon. They even have the Galar and Hisui starters and legendaries, for instance. SWSH was the same way, having a large selection of Alola Pokémon and having the starters and legendaries of LGPE and SM/USUM.

The Paldea dex looks great in terms of the raw numbers. I have yet to complete the main game of Violet, but from what I have seen in the game so far, it has good representation from all previous generations just like the numbers say. The great variety when it comes to the distribution of the wild Pokémon helps with this. Gen 1/4/8 have a higher representation than the others, but as Kurona mentioned, the reason is probably because games featuring Kanto, Galar and Sinnoh/Hisui are present on the Switch as well. Gen 5/6/7 got fewer Pokémon in the Paldea dex but they still have at least 20 each, which is good enough. The difference between the highest and lowest for Paldea is 21, which is acceptable in my eyes. I think the Paldea dex is well balanced in general, way better than the dexes in Kalos, Alola and base Galar. I was also very surprised to see that Gen 9 introduced over 100 new Pokémon, never thought that would happen again.

Then there's the Hisui dex. It has mostly Sinnoh Pokémon (including all of them), and I think that's a good thing. The game is set in ancient Sinnoh after all. The majority of the others are from Gen 1-3 and I think that's fine, but I'm glad it has some from Gen 5-7 as well. That said, I think it should have included of the all Pokémon that were in the original Platinum Dex, and gotten rid of some which I really don't understand why they were included at all (notably the Paras line). I think the size of the Hisui dex is fine, it is smaller than most other modern dexes, but because of how the game works, I feel that it would have been a bit overwhelming with 300-400 Pokémon in the dex.

I was going to make a new thread for this, but decided that it was close enough to fit here.

over the past...................year? More? Good lord...I have assembled a document detailing what entry each Pokemon got for a given game. It started with the idea of finding "what was the most used entries" but that fell by the way side REALLY QUICK
Anyway, behold the fruits of my labor, to do with what you'd like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RYNUw6ew1CBmBevGgVf4mwu27MuMR6Len72PZHNnXV0/

If you see inconsistencies it's probably because I would go days....weeks....more....between digging through this, so some of my criteria for how much I was willing to look into these things changed a bit. I was also messing with columns a lot and google sheets kind of tweaked some formatting at one point, lost some data a few months ago, etc....Still should be about 95% correct.

Now while I had plans for all kinds of extra data, I no longer want to really look at this so instead you're just gonna get some notes:
  • If you see an * that means the entry was slightly edited, and in a way that was clearly meant to be the old entry rather than a new entry (this distinction will make more sense later)
  • If you see an ** that means I felt the entry was more edited than normal, but still clearly based specifically on an older entry. This one can get murky.
  • If you see a N/A that's darker colored, that's not an error. It's because that version of the Pokemon did not get an entry, but their regional form did
  • The Final sheet, with the Megas & Regionals, was going to have some indication of different other forms like REd/Blue basculin or the Flabebe flowers or some of the gender differences but by the time I releazed I should have done that i didn't want to come back to it. Here's a freebie though: the Pyroars dont have separate entries despite having fairly substantial visual differences, even though other purely-visual changes like Unfezant do. I was going to remove the page but eh...whatever, you can see it as a remnant. I did at least put the 4 Paldean forms there.
  • Yes i DID go through each page on Bulbapedia for this and yes that IS a lot of pokemon to look through.

And here's a rough overview of how each set of games handled things:
Gen 1
  • Red/Green/Blue
    • You might have expected, or maybe misremembered like I did, that there were different entries for these, but no! All 3 of these versions had a shared entry; I just left Green off the list entirely out of convenience. Little surprising for Blue since it was a contest game whose shtick was changed tilesets and front Sprites...feels like they'd have had dex entries too. As you'd expect for the first games in the series, though, all 151 pokemon have entries. By default.
  • Yellow
    • While Blue passed on it, Yellow didn't. Presumably they felt like a fourth game should have a LITTLE extra. As such all 151 Pokemon got new entries. How nice
Gen 2
  • Gold, Silver, & Crystal
    • Super simple here, I'll just put them under one header: all 251 pokemon got a new, distinct entry in each of these 3 games. This is likely why I thought Red & Blue had different entries. I hope you like how simple this is BECAUSE IT WILL NOT LAST.
Gen 3
  • Ruby & Sapphire
    • Alright, so this is the first game with a proper "Regional" dex. And Now that we have nearly 400 Pokemon, it is clear Gamefreak was like "we cannot keep writing a billion entries" so they decided to do this: If you were one of the 202 Pokemon in the Hoenn dex, you got a unique entry for Ruby and Sapphire. If you were only in the National Dex, you instead got one new entry shared in both games.
    • The RS entries are known for being quite lengthy, some of the longer ones for the series. As such they virutally never get reused; ORAS is the only time any of these entries came back. Entries got longer in gen 7 and some of 8, so it's not like they can't fit or anything but for whatever reason you're not going to see them come back. Especially for the National Dex Pokemon, there's likely a number of entries you've never seen before!
  • Fire Red & Leaf Green
    • Alright, okay....we have to break this down step by step. Stay with me now.
      • All Gen 1 Pokemon got a new entry in Fire Red. If you thought like me that they'd just split the entries between RB & Yellow you are very wrong
      • All Gen 1 Pokemon reused their RB entry in Leaf Green. However, if you look at the spread sheet, you'll notice a lot of asterisks! That's because quite a number, though not all, of the RB entries seemed to have gotten a second editing pass. This was done in Japanese too iirc. Likely as they were inserting them they decided to just do some minor clean up. Often it's just a change in capital here or some spacing/hyphenation there, sometimes a whole word gets changed.
      • All Gen 2 Pokemon reuse their Silver entry in Fire Red and their Gold entry in Leaf Green. Seems like they'd flip that, personally. For the most part these are unaltered.
      • With the exception of Deoxys, all Gen 3 Pokemon got one new entry shared between both games. FRLG had smaller dex screens, I guess, so these entries are a lot shorter and as such you're going to see a LOT of these moving forward.
      • Deoxys got a new entry in both FR & LG presumably so they could show off the Forms more.
  • Emerald
    • The 202 Pokemon in the Hoenn dex all got new entries
    • The National Dex-only Pokemon are.....strange. Almost every single entry got rewritten but they aren't new. They're just the RS entry but like...edited? Sometimes the edit is very minor, like "A <Pokemon"" other times its just moving around words other times its very close to being new if not for the fact you can read the RS entry and see almost word for word a bunch of sentences and structure. At first I thought this was just an English side thing but no, these edits were done in Japanese as well.
    • Absolutely none of the Emerald entries have been reused anywhere. Not even the edited entries made it to ORAS for the nat dex Pokemon.

Gen 4
  • Diamond & Pearl
    • Anyone in the 151 Sinnoh Dex got a new entry in each game
    • Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus also got a new entry in each game
    • All other Pokemon, including all of the other Gen 4 Pokemon (including Phione RIP) not in the Sinnoh dex, only got one new entry shared between both games
    • If you're running a mental check list you are starting to realize that a lot of "main stay" Gen 1 Pokemon are acquiring quite a number of entries relative to their peers.
    • There's a couple of strange quirks where Pearl had a very slightly edited version of a dex entry. Fearow is one of those...then it switched back? Very odd, must have been an earlier version of the entry.
  • Platinum
    • Anyone in the 210 Sinnoh Dex got a new entry.
    • Additionally, the handful of Gen 4 Pokemon not in the Sinnoh Dex also got new entries
    • Everyone else reused their DP entries, although there was one or two cases similar to Pearl-Fearow where there was an edit carried forward
  • Heart Gold & Soul Silver
    • The first 251 Pokemon, as you'd guess, simply reuse their Gold & Silver entries respectively
    • The 5 Pokemon added to the "Johto Dex", Ambipom, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Mamoswine, Lickilicky, get a new entry in each game. This one threw me for a loop and I had to go back and make sure those were edited properly lol. Rare entries!
    • All other Gen 3 & Gen 4 Pokemon got one new entry shared across both games. These show up more often then you might think!

Gen 5
  • Black & White
    • The 156 new Pokemon all get an entry in each game.
    • Excusing remakes and the weirdness of Emerald, this is the first time we really see entry reuse. If you were in Platinum, you reuse your Platinum entry for both games
    • If you weren't in Platinum, you use your DP entry instead.
  • Black & White 2
    • Everyone in the 301 Unova Dex got one (1) entry shared across both games. This includes the Gen 5 Pokemon, even Kyurem.
    • Everyone else reuses the entry they used in BW1.
    • Kind of makes you wonder if the cracks were starting to show....

Gen 6

• X & Y
    • The 72 new Pokemon got a new entry for X & Y
    • Every other Pokemon, regardless of if you were in the Kalos Dex or not, reuses an older entry. Yeah even the folks with Megas. The entries selected have no real pattern, we even see some Yellow entries brought back. Gen 3 Pokemon tended to lean hard on FRLG at this Point.
    • If a Z version had happened, perhaps.....
  • Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
    • Gen 1-3 Pokemon reused their appropriate entries from the original Ruby & Sapphire. Which yeah means some like Bulbasaur only have one entry, because they only had one entry to begin with
    • With the exception of Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza & Hoopa. All four of these Pokemon got new entries in both versions, likely to reflect their new forms and lore. Diancie missed the boat on this despite also getting a new Mega.
    • All other Pokemon reuse their X entry for OR and Y entry for AS. None of them changed to different entries
    • And yes this does mean that the Gen 6 Pokemon got very screwed. It's at this point moving forward that you start seeing a lot of Pokemon just effectively stop getting entries.
Gen 7
  • Sun & Moon
    • Let's rip the bandaid off: there is no National Dex in this game. As such only the Regional Dex Pokemon get entries at all. This will remain consistent moving forward.
    • All Pokemon in the Alola Dex get a new entry for each game. I assume this was done to "make up" for the fact they don't have to worry about all the other Pokemon, but it's kind of funny how this wound up being like 604 entries lol
    • And more than that, because this marked a point where Form Changes in the Pokedex got their own entry as well! Regional Forms, Megas and other more minor forms such as Castform or Silvally or whatever all got a different entry. Silvally is more like a group header.
  • Ultra Sun & Moon
    • All Pokemon in the new Alola Dex get a new entry for each game, as do their forms if they had any. 800+ entries, ya'll! Wild.
    • Here's a good a time as any to show how much swings can get out of control. The Gen 6 starters still only have two (2) entries; meanwhile Pangoro went from 2 to SIX. Flabebe was in this game and is now at like 8. Silvally has existed for one generation and now has 8 to pull from....
  • Let's Go
    • Pikachu and Eevee got one new entry shared by both games. The same goes for Meltan & Melmetal.
    • All the other Pokemon reuse their Yellow entry. I think it's a pretty big missed opportunity to not at least reuse the RB entries but.....
    • Regional Forms and Megas got one new entry, since you view those form changes in the Dex.

Gen 8
  • Sword & Shield
    • To be more clear, these are distinct entries for each game
    • The reused entries are like before, there's no real pattern to which ones were/were not reused, although there are VERY few Ultra ___ entries reused.
    • Pikachu is at least a mascot so that makes sense, but Lapras has always stood out to me. My theory is it was meant to have a Regional Form (or perhaps evolution) at some point, but they scrapped it and opted to design a G-max isntead and this is just a remnant of that time.
    • The flow chart was focused mostly on the new Pokemon but incidentally yes the G-Maxes also have their own distinct entries. Just not their counterparts, generally.
    • The fact the base-game "Foreign" legendaries had new entries but the not-in-dex "foreign" legendaries in DLC didn't is very...interesting. We know the cut Pokemon aspect wasn't planned from the start, but this would likely imply they wanted these entries to be displayed in game...perhaps they were going to have a National Dex mode? How sad...
  • Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
    • Just reuses the DP entries for everyone.
    • There are no form-specific entries
    • There were a small handful of entries that got tweaked in a later game that got reused here, but by the time I noticed that I was not going through all those entries on the spread sheet again.
    • First game to have absolutely 0 new entries...
  • Legends Arceus
    • Everyone in the Hisui Dex gets a new entry. This includes any obtainable forms
    • To put it another way, Alolan Vulpix and normal Sneasel have new entries because you can obtain them. But none of the "normal" versions of Hisui forms got new entries, because they are not in the game at all. This is reflected in the spread sheet as mentioned earlier, with darker N/As
Gen 9
  • Scarlet & Violet

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Had my own go at cataloging the Kitakami dex in Google Sheets
Screenshot (559).png

This whole jamboree has been presented as something of a modest return to making a Japan-based region so it's no surprise that Kanto through Sinnoh Pokemon jointly comprise over half the selection. There's not even that many Paldea Pokemon with around 40% of those present being new to Kitakami.

We have the Blueberry Academy dex but that's leakshit so you'll have to wait for that.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Seeing this thread for the first time while I've been working on other posts, I understand this isn't really related to this particular thread but I'd be very interested in working on a very similar idea for type breakdown instead of regional breakdown. I understand this might be a bit more work, especially if I were to do this mostly on my own, just because there are more types than there are regions, but I think it could be fun to look at the results and compare them to, say, each region's chosen Type specialists, for example. I at least figured I'd ask for your permission to start this project/idea so I don't feel like I'm blatantly copying you. Thanks for reading :)

I was going to make a new thread for this, but decided that it was close enough to fit here.

over the past...................year? More? Good lord...I have assembled a document detailing what entry each Pokemon got for a given game. It started with the idea of finding "what was the most used entries" but that fell by the way side REALLY QUICK
Anyway, behold the fruits of my labor, to do with what you'd like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RYNUw6ew1CBmBevGgVf4mwu27MuMR6Len72PZHNnXV0/

If you see inconsistencies it's probably because I would go days....weeks....more....between digging through this, so some of my criteria for how much I was willing to look into these things changed a bit. I was also messing with columns a lot and google sheets kind of tweaked some formatting at one point, lost some data a few months ago, etc....Still should be about 95% correct.

Now while I had plans for all kinds of extra data, I no longer want to really look at this so instead you're just gonna get some notes:
  • If you see an * that means the entry was slightly edited, and in a way that was clearly meant to be the old entry rather than a new entry (this distinction will make more sense later)
  • If you see an ** that means I felt the entry was more edited than normal, but still clearly based specifically on an older entry. This one can get murky.
  • If you see a N/A that's darker colored, that's not an error. It's because that version of the Pokemon did not get an entry, but their regional form did
  • The Final sheet, with the Megas & Regionals, was going to have some indication of different other forms like REd/Blue basculin or the Flabebe flowers or some of the gender differences but by the time I releazed I should have done that i didn't want to come back to it. Here's a freebie though: the Pyroars dont have separate entries despite having fairly substantial visual differences, even though other purely-visual changes like Unfezant do. I was going to remove the page but eh...whatever, you can see it as a remnant. I did at least put the 4 Paldean forms there.
  • Yes i DID go through each page on Bulbapedia for this and yes that IS a lot of pokemon to look through.

And here's a rough overview of how each set of games handled things:
Gen 1
  • Red/Green/Blue
    • You might have expected, or maybe misremembered like I did, that there were different entries for these, but no! All 3 of these versions had a shared entry; I just left Green off the list entirely out of convenience. Little surprising for Blue since it was a contest game whose shtick was changed tilesets and front Sprites...feels like they'd have had dex entries too. As you'd expect for the first games in the series, though, all 151 pokemon have entries. By default.
  • Yellow
    • While Blue passed on it, Yellow didn't. Presumably they felt like a fourth game should have a LITTLE extra. As such all 151 Pokemon got new entries. How nice
Gen 2
  • Gold, Silver, & Crystal
    • Super simple here, I'll just put them under one header: all 251 pokemon got a new, distinct entry in each of these 3 games. This is likely why I thought Red & Blue had different entries. I hope you like how simple this is BECAUSE IT WILL NOT LAST.
Gen 3
  • Ruby & Sapphire
    • Alright, so this is the first game with a proper "Regional" dex. And Now that we have nearly 400 Pokemon, it is clear Gamefreak was like "we cannot keep writing a billion entries" so they decided to do this: If you were one of the 202 Pokemon in the Hoenn dex, you got a unique entry for Ruby and Sapphire. If you were only in the National Dex, you instead got one new entry shared in both games.
    • The RS entries are known for being quite lengthy, some of the longer ones for the series. As such they virutally never get reused; ORAS is the only time any of these entries came back. Entries got longer in gen 7 and some of 8, so it's not like they can't fit or anything but for whatever reason you're not going to see them come back. Especially for the National Dex Pokemon, there's likely a number of entries you've never seen before!
  • Fire Red & Leaf Green
    • Alright, okay....we have to break this down step by step. Stay with me now.
      • All Gen 1 Pokemon got a new entry in Fire Red. If you thought like me that they'd just split the entries between RB & Yellow you are very wrong
      • All Gen 1 Pokemon reused their RB entry in Leaf Green. However, if you look at the spread sheet, you'll notice a lot of asterisks! That's because quite a number, though not all, of the RB entries seemed to have gotten a second editing pass. This was done in Japanese too iirc. Likely as they were inserting them they decided to just do some minor clean up. Often it's just a change in capital here or some spacing/hyphenation there, sometimes a whole word gets changed.
      • All Gen 2 Pokemon reuse their Silver entry in Fire Red and their Gold entry in Leaf Green. Seems like they'd flip that, personally. For the most part these are unaltered.
      • With the exception of Deoxys, all Gen 3 Pokemon got one new entry shared between both games. FRLG had smaller dex screens, I guess, so these entries are a lot shorter and as such you're going to see a LOT of these moving forward.
      • Deoxys got a new entry in both FR & LG presumably so they could show off the Forms more.
  • Emerald
    • The 202 Pokemon in the Hoenn dex all got new entries
    • The National Dex-only Pokemon are.....strange. Almost every single entry got rewritten but they aren't new. They're just the RS entry but like...edited? Sometimes the edit is very minor, like "A <Pokemon"" other times its just moving around words other times its very close to being new if not for the fact you can read the RS entry and see almost word for word a bunch of sentences and structure. At first I thought this was just an English side thing but no, these edits were done in Japanese as well.
    • Absolutely none of the Emerald entries have been reused anywhere. Not even the edited entries made it to ORAS for the nat dex Pokemon.

Gen 4
  • Diamond & Pearl
    • Anyone in the 151 Sinnoh Dex got a new entry in each game
    • Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus also got a new entry in each game
    • All other Pokemon, including all of the other Gen 4 Pokemon (including Phione RIP) not in the Sinnoh dex, only got one new entry shared between both games
    • If you're running a mental check list you are starting to realize that a lot of "main stay" Gen 1 Pokemon are acquiring quite a number of entries relative to their peers.
    • There's a couple of strange quirks where Pearl had a very slightly edited version of a dex entry. Fearow is one of those...then it switched back? Very odd, must have been an earlier version of the entry.
  • Platinum
    • Anyone in the 210 Sinnoh Dex got a new entry.
    • Additionally, the handful of Gen 4 Pokemon not in the Sinnoh Dex also got new entries
    • Everyone else reused their DP entries, although there was one or two cases similar to Pearl-Fearow where there was an edit carried forward
  • Heart Gold & Soul Silver
    • The first 251 Pokemon, as you'd guess, simply reuse their Gold & Silver entries respectively
    • The 5 Pokemon added to the "Johto Dex", Ambipom, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Mamoswine, Lickilicky, get a new entry in each game. This one threw me for a loop and I had to go back and make sure those were edited properly lol. Rare entries!
    • All other Gen 3 & Gen 4 Pokemon got one new entry shared across both games. These show up more often then you might think!

Gen 5
  • Black & White
    • The 156 new Pokemon all get an entry in each game.
    • Excusing remakes and the weirdness of Emerald, this is the first time we really see entry reuse. If you were in Platinum, you reuse your Platinum entry for both games
    • If you weren't in Platinum, you use your DP entry instead.
  • Black & White 2
    • Everyone in the 301 Unova Dex got one (1) entry shared across both games. This includes the Gen 5 Pokemon, even Kyurem.
    • Everyone else reuses the entry they used in BW1.
    • Kind of makes you wonder if the cracks were starting to show....

Gen 6
  • X & Y
    • The 72 new Pokemon got a new entry for X & Y
    • Every other Pokemon, regardless of if you were in the Kalos Dex or not, reuses an older entry. Yeah even the folks with Megas. The entries selected have no real pattern, we even see some Yellow entries brought back. Gen 3 Pokemon tended to lean hard on FRLG at this Point.
    • If a Z version had happened, perhaps.....
  • Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
    • Gen 1-3 Pokemon reused their appropriate entries from the original Ruby & Sapphire. Which yeah means some like Bulbasaur only have one entry, because they only had one entry to begin with
    • With the exception of Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza & Hoopa. All four of these Pokemon got new entries in both versions, likely to reflect their new forms and lore. Diancie missed the boat on this despite also getting a new Mega.
    • All other Pokemon reuse their X entry for OR and Y entry for AS. None of them changed to different entries
    • And yes this does mean that the Gen 6 Pokemon got very screwed. It's at this point moving forward that you start seeing a lot of Pokemon just effectively stop getting entries.
Gen 7
  • Sun & Moon
    • Let's rip the bandaid off: there is no National Dex in this game. As such only the Regional Dex Pokemon get entries at all. This will remain consistent moving forward.
    • All Pokemon in the Alola Dex get a new entry for each game. I assume this was done to "make up" for the fact they don't have to worry about all the other Pokemon, but it's kind of funny how this wound up being like 604 entries lol
    • And more than that, because this marked a point where Form Changes in the Pokedex got their own entry as well! Regional Forms, Megas and other more minor forms such as Castform or Silvally or whatever all got a different entry. Silvally is more like a group header.
  • Ultra Sun & Moon
    • All Pokemon in the new Alola Dex get a new entry for each game, as do their forms if they had any. 800+ entries, ya'll! Wild.
    • Here's a good a time as any to show how much swings can get out of control. The Gen 6 starters still only have two (2) entries; meanwhile Pangoro went from 2 to SIX. Flabebe was in this game and is now at like 8. Silvally has existed for one generation and now has 8 to pull from....
  • Let's Go
    • Pikachu and Eevee got one new entry shared by both games. The same goes for Meltan & Melmetal.
    • All the other Pokemon reuse their Yellow entry. I think it's a pretty big missed opportunity to not at least reuse the RB entries but.....
    • Regional Forms and Megas got one new entry, since you view those form changes in the Dex.

Gen 8
  • Sword & Shield
    • To be more clear, these are distinct entries for each game
    • The reused entries are like before, there's no real pattern to which ones were/were not reused, although there are VERY few Ultra ___ entries reused.
    • Pikachu is at least a mascot so that makes sense, but Lapras has always stood out to me. My theory is it was meant to have a Regional Form (or perhaps evolution) at some point, but they scrapped it and opted to design a G-max isntead and this is just a remnant of that time.
    • The flow chart was focused mostly on the new Pokemon but incidentally yes the G-Maxes also have their own distinct entries. Just not their counterparts, generally.
    • The fact the base-game "Foreign" legendaries had new entries but the not-in-dex "foreign" legendaries in DLC didn't is very...interesting. We know the cut Pokemon aspect wasn't planned from the start, but this would likely imply they wanted these entries to be displayed in game...perhaps they were going to have a National Dex mode? How sad...
  • Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
    • Just reuses the DP entries for everyone.
    • There are no form-specific entries
    • There were a small handful of entries that got tweaked in a later game that got reused here, but by the time I noticed that I was not going through all those entries on the spread sheet again.
    • First game to have absolutely 0 new entries...
  • Legends Arceus
    • Everyone in the Hisui Dex gets a new entry. This includes any obtainable forms
    • To put it another way, Alolan Vulpix and normal Sneasel have new entries because you can obtain them. But none of the "normal" versions of Hisui forms got new entries, because they are not in the game at all. This is reflected in the spread sheet as mentioned earlier, with darker N/As
Gen 9
  • Scarlet & Violet
So I'm in the process of updating this with the Kitakami additions and man. It's just as all over the place as base game

Spinarak has a new entry in Scarlet, but the other entry is from Moon but with "fisher" instead of "fisherman"
Both of Ariados' are old, slightly edited entries from Silver & Crystal
Yanma got 2 new ones. There's a few entries kind of similar, but they're written very differently so its more in line with the usual pokedex fair of restating information across different games.
Yanmega's Scarlet entry is more or less new, it's very similar to a Soul Silver entry but it's written completely differently and has a little extra content. But the Violet entry is just from Platinum
Wooper's Scarlet Entry is just its Crystal entry but with more flavor. Violet entry is just the Silver entry but they replaced "ground" with "land"
Quagsire just uses its Gold & Silver entries
Poochyena seems all new
Mightyena's Scarlet entry is very similar to Emerald, which normally I'd just overlook but the amount of "slight difference" entries does make me wonder. Still I marked it as new. Violet is all new.
Volbeat reuses FRLG for Scarlet, but uses a distinctly edited (or enhanced might be the better word) entry from DP
Illumise's Scarlet entry is written like the HGSS entry but kind of edited to have information from its DPPt entry. The other entry is an "enhanced" FRLG for its second line.
Corphish reuses FRLG verbatim but has an all new entry for Violet.
Crawdaunt reuses BW2 & FRLG with no edits
The Sewaddle line gets entirely new entries, which is good considering the last time it got a new entry was BW2 and it hasn't been in a game since gen 7 (which had no dex entries for it anyway)
Cutiefly line gets new entries, continuing the trend for Gen 7 Pokemon getting all new ones.
Ekans & Arbok's Scarlet entries are just reused ones but their Violet entries are slight edits to their FR & Silver entries respectively. Also bulbapedia informs me that the FR entries are actualy from the original Red & Green that had gone untranslated until now? That's interesting! I'm not editing the document.
Bellsprout has a new pair of entries, though Violet is very similar to an existing one
Weepinbell reuses both its entries
Victreebel uses an edited FR entry for Scarlet, and an edited Gold entry for Violet
Sentret line is all new
Vulpix line reuses everything
Poliwag's are new, but the Violet entry is very similar to the RB entry. It's sufficiently rewritten to not be an edit
Meanwhile Poliwhirl reuses FRLG and an edited Silver and Poliwrath uses a more edited Silver and a verbatim crystal. Politoed uses verbatim stuff.
Hoohoot kind of seems to have a new Scarlet entry but the BW2 entry was edited/enhanced
Noctowl uses Gold and a slightly edited Crystal
Aipom reuses Silver but has a new entry for Violet. Ambipom meanwhile reuses HG and a slight edit of Platinum

I'm only a quarter of the way through but it really is just baffling the ones that did an didn't get anything new, or what the deal is with all the slight edits. Which are present in Japanese too iirc, so its not just a case of localization having another go at it. And even the edits are all over the place, sometimes its just a single word or punctuation/gramar tweak, other times its clearly the same entry as before they just added some extra bit (as opposed to the usual fair, where they'll retain similar informatoin across different entries but worded very differently).

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm in the process of updating this with the Kitakami additions and man. It's just as all over the place as base game

Spinarak has a new entry in Scarlet, but the other entry is from Moon but with "fisher" instead of "fisherman"
Both of Ariados' are old, slightly edited entries from Silver & Crystal
Yanma got 2 new ones. There's a few entries kind of similar, but they're written very differently so its more in line with the usual pokedex fair of restating information across different games.
Yanmega's Scarlet entry is more or less new, it's very similar to a Soul Silver entry but it's written completely differently and has a little extra content. But the Violet entry is just from Platinum
Wooper's Scarlet Entry is just its Crystal entry but with more flavor. Violet entry is just the Silver entry but they replaced "ground" with "land"
Quagsire just uses its Gold & Silver entries
Poochyena seems all new
Mightyena's Scarlet entry is very similar to Emerald, which normally I'd just overlook but the amount of "slight difference" entries does make me wonder. Still I marked it as new. Violet is all new.
Volbeat reuses FRLG for Scarlet, but uses a distinctly edited (or enhanced might be the better word) entry from DP
Illumise's Scarlet entry is written like the HGSS entry but kind of edited to have information from its DPPt entry. The other entry is an "enhanced" FRLG for its second line.
Corphish reuses FRLG verbatim but has an all new entry for Violet.
Crawdaunt reuses BW2 & FRLG with no edits
The Sewaddle line gets entirely new entries, which is good considering the last time it got a new entry was BW2 and it hasn't been in a game since gen 7 (which had no dex entries for it anyway)
Cutiefly line gets new entries, continuing the trend for Gen 7 Pokemon getting all new ones.
Ekans & Arbok's Scarlet entries are just reused ones but their Violet entries are slight edits to their FR & Silver entries respectively. Also bulbapedia informs me that the FR entries are actualy from the original Red & Green that had gone untranslated until now? That's interesting! I'm not editing the document.
Bellsprout has a new pair of entries, though Violet is very similar to an existing one
Weepinbell reuses both its entries
Victreebel uses an edited FR entry for Scarlet, and an edited Gold entry for Violet
Sentret line is all new
Vulpix line reuses everything
Poliwag's are new, but the Violet entry is very similar to the RB entry. It's sufficiently rewritten to not be an edit
Meanwhile Poliwhirl reuses FRLG and an edited Silver and Poliwrath uses a more edited Silver and a verbatim crystal. Politoed uses verbatim stuff.
Hoohoot kind of seems to have a new Scarlet entry but the BW2 entry was edited/enhanced
Noctowl uses Gold and a slightly edited Crystal
Aipom reuses Silver but has a new entry for Violet. Ambipom meanwhile reuses HG and a slight edit of Platinum

I'm only a quarter of the way through but it really is just baffling the ones that did an didn't get anything new, or what the deal is with all the slight edits. Which are present in Japanese too iirc, so its not just a case of localization having another go at it. And even the edits are all over the place, sometimes its just a single word or punctuation/gramar tweak, other times its clearly the same entry as before they just added some extra bit (as opposed to the usual fair, where they'll retain similar informatoin across different entries but worded very differently).
That sounds like a fun job. “Updating old Pokedex entries slightly”.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some rewrites are necessary, e.g., the Asian elephants, but others are minor word swaps that don't mean much.
I'm more bothered with the concept of Pokémon without Dex entries, to be honest. *stares at Walking Wake and Iron Leaves*
It frustrated me way more than it should’ve when I first transferred the new mons from Legends Arceus and their dex entries didn’t automatically show up in Home.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Funny that the part of the game ostensibly set in Unova has more Kanto Pokémon than Unova Pokémon...
I checked out the Blueberry Pokédex, and it turned out that it’s because a lot of these Kanto Pokémon available in Blueberry Academy are either Alolan or Galarian in the Terrarium, a place where regional variants can be caught outside their place of origin. It’s a simply result of Alolan Pokémon being only Gen 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)