SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Leon's Rillaboom really was the Paul's Drapion or Alain's Bisharp of Leon's team. Not the ace, but still a monster who knocks out two-three of Ash's mons and was by far the most serious threat in the battle.

Next week is the final part and boy is it looking hype. I'm hoping for an epic final clash between Pikachu and Charizard that allows the battle to go out with a bang.

Give us something on the level of these for the finale, dammit!

Pika and Zard better have a god tier final move clash like the three I just showed, on par with those or even better. Go out with a bang!

---

Other highlights include Dracovish pulling up like an SV fake leaker with those glowing spikes. You thought that would actually amount to anything? SIKE!!!
Did Dracovish's newfound power mean anything beyond it trapping Dragapult? Also pretty sure Cinderace remains in prime condition for Pikachu.
Nope, not a precursor to a new move or anything, it just seemed to keep glowing.
It was never a move or anything. Cynthia and Diantha speculated that those glowing spikes stuff was basically Dracovish awakening its dormant primal powers. Basically a power-up by unleashing its inner energy from its days as a prehistoric species and using its dormant power to give itself even more strength, and also giving its Dragon Rush the extra power to KO Rillaboom.

It was never a move or anything. Cynthia and Diantha speculated that those glowing spikes stuff was basically Dracovish awakening its dormant primal powers. Basically a power-up by unleashing its inner energy from its days as a prehistoric species and using its dormant power to give itself even more strength, and also giving its Dragon Rush the extra power to KO Rillaboom.
Feels like the writers thought the visual of trapping dragapult in its spines would look super cool and then just spun up a reason to get it to work

to be fair from these screenshots it does in fact look super cool

Dracovish awakening its "power" to me seems like the definition of an asspull.

I don't think we'll see another Gigantamax, the final could be anti-climactic with Pikachu vs Cinderace as the final bout.

And where the fuck is Goh?

Is it just me, or is this battle kind of lame with all the gimmicks?

I dunno, something about this battle strikes me as kinda mid.
The fact that the gimmicks aren't being used as "instant win" cards and barely giving Ash an advantage is why its working. Gmax Gengar barely beat Intelleion (and Intellion's attack caused gengar to lose its third turn in the gmax form), Mega Lucario hardly did anything this time and lost early, and the Z-move was already used and only deflected Gmax Charizard's attacks. The writers wrote it in a way where Ash isn't dominating using the 3 power ups, but he's winning by countering Leon.

This ep had Ash use 3 pokemon to take out Rillaboom, (Dragonite, Sirfetch'd and Dracovish), and all 3 caused damage to it to take it down. It's Leon's second strongest after his Charizard so it's good they wrote it this way or else it'd be a cheap win. The previous episode with Dragapult's dragon tail constantly bringing out each of Ash's pokemon for Leon to whittle down their health with Mr. Rime was also great. Ash's wins are all justified and it doesn't feel like Leon's Pokemon are going down easy.

If they stick the landing for the last episode it'll probably be my favorite battle in the anime surpassing Cynthia's and being close to Paul's from DP

Speaking of that, its officially been 20 years now since Misty left the anime in Nov. 2002 in Japan:

Misty's now been gone from the show longer than some of the younger fanbase has been alive. lol

It's kinda ironic thinking about it now, Johto was only Gen 2 and we're now entering Gen 9, so Misty really was dropped from the series when it was practically in its infancy. The anime started in Japan in 1997, and by the year 2002 Misty was already leaving. She really was only in the show for 5 years.

I think a lot of people just don't actually realize how short-lived Misty's character in the anime really was. If Johto wasn't so dragged out with fillers till the R/S games came out, it would have been even shorter.

Speaking of that, its officially been 20 years now since Misty left the anime in Nov. 2002 in Japan:

Misty's now been gone from the show longer than some of the younger fanbase has been alive. lol

It's kinda ironic thinking about it now, Johto was only Gen 2 and we're now entering Gen 9, so Misty really was dropped from the series when it was practically in its infancy. The anime started in Japan in 1997, and by the year 2002 Misty was already leaving. She really was only in the show for 5 years.

I think a lot of people just don't actually realize how short-lived Misty's character in the anime really was. If Johto wasn't so dragged out with fillers till the R/S games came out, it would have been even shorter.
You are definitely CyberCubed from Serebii.

Always enjoy your takes.

I miss Pokemopolis. What a fun site. It is too bad that the BW anime basically killed Tim's enthusiasm for writing episode guides. I would have loved to seen his takes on XY and Journeys.

His review of "A Tent Situation" is hilarious.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
New episode titles are out, you may not want to see this.
Episode 1222: Project Mew
Episode 1223: The Future I Seize!
Episode 1224: Pokémon! I am Glad I Met You!

1222 should be the Regigigas raid and 1223 Goh's epilogue.
1224 may be the ending, of the whole show, or just a classic misleading title.
I would be fine with the show ending after so long, this season was fun but could have been better. Would be surprised if they don't just start a new anime right after.

New episode titles are out, you may not want to see this.
Episode 1222: Project Mew
Episode 1223: The Future I Seize!
Episode 1224: Pokémon! I am Glad I Met You!

1222 should be the Regigigas raid and 1223 Goh's epilogue.
1224 may be the ending, of the whole show, or just a classic misleading title.
I would be fine with the show ending after so long, this season was fun but could have been better. Would be surprised if they don't just start a new anime right after.
You could make the argument 1224 is also a Goh episode. He's definitely met a lot of pokemon

e: The real copium is its a Chloe episode

You could make the argument 1224 is also a Goh episode. He's definitely met a lot of pokemon

e: The real copium is its a Chloe episode
That would be positively demonic. :totodiLUL:

In all seriousness, if there ever was a time to end the series, it's now.

Yes, they could write a new classic-style season in Paldea, but honestly?
Ash is poised to become World Champion. That's the peak. If they want to get rid of Ash, that's it.

If they allow Ash to become World Champion, I don't see how you can keep him as a main character.

Technically, you can reboot his team in Paldea. But Journeys has made the argument that success is more because of a trainer's tactics than his Pokemon. (Since Ash has made it to top-2 with a brand new team). So I don't see the fan base accepting Ash losing to some random trainer because he has a Stage 1 starter.

Obviously, the anime can do whatever it wants but Journeys has displayed that the showrunners have taken fan wishes into consideration.

I can see Ash staying on in Paldea whilst continuing in the Pokemon World Tournament if he wins, honestly in the way they probably should have done things this series. He can travel in Paldea with a new team as he would do in previous series, but return every so often to wherever he needs to go to take on the next challenger to his title as World Champion. He can still lose in Paldea - Terastallization, a multitude of Champion-level trainers and a weaker, rookie-level team can give him some challenge there whilst he takes on the big threats in the Master's 8 with his reserves - both his Journeys team and all the other Pokemon he should have been using across Journeys. Best of both worlds then! Have Nemona become his Paldean rival / protégé who's inspired by his climb to the top of the PWC, give him some new companions or keep Goh around (doesn't really matter to me) and we're rocking.

So, uhhhh... about the Ash v Leon battle.
NO RESULT ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?
God, this is worse than a loss for Ash! I hate the trope where there a much-hyped battle between two strong characters and after much teasing there no conclusive result!
I hate it in Pokémon Masters during the Lance v Cynthia event, I hate it in Journeys!

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
i wish eternatus didnt interrupt such an important battle that was so lame
So, uhhhh... about the Ash v Leon battle.
NO RESULT ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?
God, this is worse than a loss for Ash! I hate the trope where there a much-hyped battle between two strong characters and after much teasing there no conclusive result!
I hate it in Pokémon Masters during the Lance v Cynthia event, I hate it in Journeys!
It doesn't look like Eternatus is going to stop the battle as you know, it appeared at the end of the current episode but the preview for tomorrow's episode shows that the battle is still going so is most likely something that will take them 5 minutes before going back to fighting.
So Eternatus may just watch and/or refill their dynamax bands, or even replace Cinderace.

Edit:
That was the best episode and battle ever, regardless of the result. It even had the best cameos ever.
:primeape: :butterfree: :pidgeot: :lapras: :larvitar: everyone was there for the big battle

Last edited:
So I watched episode 132. Here is what happened.

- Eternatus clearing the skies
- G-Max Cinderace vs Pikachu with Pikachu winning in one hit
- All of Ash's companions (plus Lisia and Alexa) watch the battle, seems May and Serena know each other
- Pikachu beats Charizard and Ash becomes monarch

Last edited:
Haha, thread called it spot on with G-max cinderace vs g-max pikachu, main difference was the switch so that the end was still pikachu vs charizard.

Also funny that TPCi posted about it on Twitter since they knew there would be no way to keep the news from Western audiences.

Overall the conclusion was nice to see.
My main criticism is that I thought the ohko on Cinderace was cheap. There was plenty of opportunity to have it clearly take some actual damage from Dracovish and make the ko a bit more believable. Instead, Cinderace goes down in one and Pikachu takes a billion more attacks, with the mother of all affection bonuses helping it hang on at the end.

There were definitely a bunch of fake-out moments where I thought the writers might actually let Ash lose, which would have been pretty lame after all the build-up, so glad they didn't go that route. I think they could have gotten away with a tie, though.

Obviously the big question is where the anime will go now, since this wouldn't feel out of place as an end to Ash's journey. On the other hand, I think Ash and Pikachu are major drivers of the popularity of the show, and for all the times people claim the show should switch to a new protagonist I doubt it would fly very well. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a plan to see how well Goh played with audiences and potentially shift focus to him if he had been majorly popular.

I think they could still keep Ash and Pikachu, maybe by having them be teachers at the school is Paldea or something. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

My thoughts:

1. Serena couldn't be there in person? Boo!
2. His mother couldn't be there either? C'mon. I love the World Championships but the lack of reserves and in-person watchers disappointed. Seeing Oak and Delia there would have been amazing.
3. The montage with his old Pokemon. Right in the feels. Interesting that they included Larvitar but not Haunter. But seeing all the teams. Nostalgic!
4. Pikachu told Charizard who the real mascot is!
5. The cameos were great. Just wish that May and Max got their own. Along with Serena. Each region's companions deserved their own segment. And why wasn't Iris there? You would think all the Masters 8 folks would want to watch live.
6. Diantha and Cynthia definitely took the most interest in Ash throughout his career so their focus was appropriate.
7. Finally. He did! The same punk kid who sent Pikachu against Onix became World Champion! Well earned for sure.

Interesting catch from today's episode (if you believe it - it's Gen 9 leak related for the Legends)

1668180801218.png

Given that we have a rough idea of what the 3rd legend in Paldea looks like, people seem to believe it's depicted in the picture behind Ash, implying that's where he's doing next.

I can't really make it out but then again the sketch of the legend itself is quite rough, so who knows, but it feels odd to have that as a visual focus point within this frame, could've just been a generic picture but they do seem to be hinting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)