Media General Music Discussion Thread

If you're into jazz, I'd recommend giving this album a listen:

Nat Adderley and Cannonball Adderley (Digital Only)

on the whole i've been listening to a lot more indie shit as of late - mainly from blur and arctic monkeys prior to their AM album. i wanted to just dump some of my favourites here.
My old band used to play a cover of Song 2 by Blur, it's like the only thing I know by them but I plan on listening to more of them in the future. I also low-key shit bricks when I found out the lead singer of Blur is 2D in Gorillaz

ive been rapping and releasing music for a while. give me constructive criticism :) ill link some of my favs

Hostage (vibe: hard and aggressive)
Skinny White Kid (vibe: dark and edgy)
bottles up freestyle (vibe: chill and kinda trippy)

any feedback, or even just listens / follows help :D
I wanted to give you a listen but your songs had been removed on Soundcloud? I'm a musician and I'd be willing to give you feedback if you'd like

View attachment 289252
I like this album a lot, especially Nuclear Family, Let Yourself Go and Oh Love. Starts great, ends great.

If any Gamers™ remember Green Day from their wacky appearance at The Video Game Awards 2019, I suggest listening to their stuff on Spotify. It's really nice.
I LOVE Green Day, what are your top 3 albums? Also who's your fav member, I'm curious

plant based

I COULD BE BANNED!
If you're into jazz, I'd recommend giving this album a listen:

Nat Adderley and Cannonball Adderley (Digital Only)

My old band used to play a cover of Song 2 by Blur, it's like the only thing I know by them but I plan on listening to more of them in the future. I also low-key shit bricks when I found out the lead singer of Blur is 2D in Gorillaz

I wanted to give you a listen but your songs had been removed on Soundcloud? I'm a musician and I'd be willing to give you feedback if you'd like

I LOVE Green Day, what are your top 3 albums? Also who's your fav member, I'm curious
yeah i changed my soundcloud.
more better music on there now dont listen to those songs

https://soundcloud.com/blackfangz%2Fdeathonthebattlefield this ones private so shhh

dropped this at the end of december https://soundcloud.com/blackfangz%2Fsets%2F64bitnoosehanging

Are there songs you associate with certain video games? And then I don't mean video game music, but just pop or rock songs?

For me...

Pokemon Pinball - Ruby & Sapphire
The Who - Pinball Wizard
Pretty self-explanatory.

Mario Kart Wii / 8
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Perfect driving song. I don't have and don't want a car, because of the environment. Public transport is fine in the Netherlands, where I live. But when playing Mario Kart, in which I ALWAYS play as Yoshi, I always hum that Deep Purple song.

Pokemon - any game after beating the Champion
Queen - We Are The Champions
Pretty obvious, I think. Perfect when you had a hard-fought win against a Champion in a difficult solo run or monotype challenge, or when you beat a difficult Frontier Brain for a gold symbol... You get the idea.

Last edited:
I'm a huge 80s guy, so I definitely recommend listening to things like Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears, Don't Dream it's Over by Crowded House, and True by Spandau Ballet. I could link my 80s/70s playlist, but idk if 80s is your vibe. I definitely do recommend though.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I've been listening to a lot of Estelle lately. You probably remember her from her song "American Boy" that featured Kanye West.
Here are a few songs:

Recent music.

90s RnB type stuff.

Songs with big artists that aren't Kanye West. She really makes their styles so much better to the point where she basically owns the tracks.

Incredible for a first video.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
☭ red army choir beats ☭

i'm gonna personally rank all the Red Army Choir songs i'm familiar with. honestly they were bigger part of my music some years ago, but i figure they're more accessible then the shit i listen to now. be aware that I'm talking about the Red Army Choir versions. you can usually find alternate versions that are both different and good. also i'm only giving romanized version of the song names bc im lazy

ranked within tiers as well

Partisan's Song. You ever wanted two straight minutes of perfectly steady escalation from the Choir? Of course you did. Who the fuck wouldn't. Put the volume up. My pick for 1.

Polyushka Polye. I don't conceptualize PP as a slow song. Maybe it is partially, but most slow songs don't give you chills like this one does for me. Whether you're burning up with anger, determination, or sadness, it's a great one to shout sing if you're into that. Either way, it just gets better the more you listen to it, both within the first listening and over time.

The Red Army is the Strongest (White Army Black Baron): One of my two firsts. If someone asked me to communicate the Choir with one song, I'd pick this one. It's just so balanced in a great way. This is not the RAC version, but a banger in its own right, and puts the great majority of AMVs to shame. Basically the whole first minute still gives me chills. What hand gestures can I do to summon imperial battleships.

Smuglianka. The other of my two firsts. Absolute icon, imo the Choir's best slow song. It keeps steady but engaging pace so well, it's so rich vocally, and the lyrics tell such a precious story.

My Army. Honestly just both pumping and heartwarming. Reminds me a bit of Let's Go (below) but I believe it's a good margin better. Masterful control of intensity. A real dark horse to make it into my S-tier, but man, just listening to it again makes me smile.

Farewell of Slavianka. The "third" of my two firsts. Like with White Army Black Baron, it's really balanced and representative of what I know of the Choir. A pinch less majestic/epic, perhaps, but the chorus gets you pumping. I'd like to also call attention to the 1984 version, which I don't believe was done by the Choir but takes an emotional and very good spin. Farewell, familiar faces... This White Army version is also excellent, even if a bit counter to, well, the Red Army Choir.

Moscow Nights. Rediscovered this one, and I'm glad I did. It probably slips under the radar, but I really feel like it brings the most out of its vocal talent. A markedly quiet song in a way, not in volume but in letting the world do its thing.

Soviet Anthem. Let's not kid ourselves. This is good.

Bella Ciao. I used to have a bit of an Italy Sucks phase so I didn't bother, but minor tragedy that I didn't, distinctively RAC and great rendition of a great song. partisan squad, goodbye fascists :psyglad:

Troika Galop. I'm not quite sure how to categorize this one. Not quite catchy to me in the conventional sense, but it's just a super fun jive up and down some metaphorical sledding slope.

March of the Defenders of Moscow. Quite a good romp and extremely solid, but I can't help but think it'd be significantly upgraded with a bit more speed and a pinch of flair. I remembered finding such a version, but I can't find it now =(

Katyusha. I assume a more well-known one. I honestly have to be in the right mood to really love (ha) Katyusha, but the instrumentation is so beautiful and it's well known because it's good.

Souliko. I used to just not have the patience for this song. But I think I kind of like it now. And it's Georgian too =)

Along Peterskaia Street. Good vibes only in the chat. You'll get it four notes in.

Let's Go. Definitely one that's spent some time in my playlist, and very close to A, but not quite as stand-out compared to the others for me.

Ah Nastassia. First half is super catchy, even if you don't get the lyrics at all. ay nastasia i nastasia... that's all I need for it to get stuck in my head. But I do not like the second half quite as much!

Korobelniki. Funny better Tetris theme. Beautiful vocals but the instrumentation/flow feels a bit confused and broken up to me, and the tune is pretty familiar. Has some pretttty sick moments.

My Country. It's beautiful, but it doesn't quite click with me. Something about the flow/pace and vocals don't seem to line up for me. Still, though, I would certainly call it good.

i don't think any tiers below "good" are necessary

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I've been listening to St. Vincent's great new album Daddy's Home recently and there's one song that is such an earworm on it that I can't help to skip to it first before listening to the album in its entirety. (easily my fav on the album)

actually turns out that My Baby Wants a Baby shares the melody with the chorus of Sheena Easton's Nine to Five(Morning Train) which is an absolute banger from the 80s, def explains why it's so catchy when it shares one of the catchiest melodies in pop music. Since I found that out I've been listening to both of the songs back to back and now I can hear that melody in my sleep please help me.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
☭ red army choir beats ☭

i'm gonna personally rank all the Red Army Choir songs i'm familiar with. honestly they were bigger part of my music some years ago, but i figure they're more accessible then the shit i listen to now. be aware that I'm talking about the Red Army Choir versions. you can usually find alternate versions that are both different and good. also i'm only giving romanized version of the song names bc im lazy

ranked within tiers as well

Partisan's Song. You ever wanted two straight minutes of perfectly steady escalation from the Choir? Of course you did. Who the fuck wouldn't. Put the volume up. My pick for 1.

Polyushka Polye. I don't conceptualize PP as a slow song. Maybe it is partially, but most slow songs don't give you chills like this one does for me. Whether you're burning up with anger, determination, or sadness, it's a great one to shout sing if you're into that. Either way, it just gets better the more you listen to it, both within the first listening and over time.

The Red Army is the Strongest (White Army Black Baron): One of my two firsts. If someone asked me to communicate the Choir with one song, I'd pick this one. It's just so balanced in a great way. This is not the RAC version, but a banger in its own right, and puts the great majority of AMVs to shame. Basically the whole first minute still gives me chills. What hand gestures can I do to summon imperial battleships.

Smuglianka. The other of my two firsts. Absolute icon, imo the Choir's best slow song. It keeps steady but engaging pace so well, it's so rich vocally, and the lyrics tell such a precious story.

My Army. Honestly just both pumping and heartwarming. Reminds me a bit of Let's Go (below) but I believe it's a good margin better. Masterful control of intensity. A real dark horse to make it into my S-tier, but man, just listening to it again makes me smile.

Farewell of Slavianka. The "third" of my two firsts. Like with White Army Black Baron, it's really balanced and representative of what I know of the Choir. A pinch less majestic/epic, perhaps, but the chorus gets you pumping. I'd like to also call attention to the 1984 version, which I don't believe was done by the Choir but takes an emotional and very good spin. Farewell, familiar faces... This White Army version is also excellent, even if a bit counter to, well, the Red Army Choir.

Moscow Nights. Rediscovered this one, and I'm glad I did. It probably slips under the radar, but I really feel like it brings the most out of its vocal talent. A markedly quiet song in a way, not in volume but in letting the world do its thing.

Soviet Anthem. Let's not kid ourselves. This is good.

Bella Ciao. I used to have a bit of an Italy Sucks phase so I didn't bother, but minor tragedy that I didn't, distinctively RAC and great rendition of a great song. partisan squad, goodbye fascists :psyglad:

Troika Galop. I'm not quite sure how to categorize this one. Not quite catchy to me in the conventional sense, but it's just a super fun jive up and down some metaphorical sledding slope.

March of the Defenders of Moscow. Quite a good romp and extremely solid, but I can't help but think it'd be significantly upgraded with a bit more speed and a pinch of flair. I remembered finding such a version, but I can't find it now =(

Katyusha. I assume a more well-known one. I honestly have to be in the right mood to really love (ha) Katyusha, but the instrumentation is so beautiful and it's well known because it's good.

Souliko. I used to just not have the patience for this song. But I think I kind of like it now. And it's Georgian too =)

Along Peterskaia Street. Good vibes only in the chat. You'll get it four notes in.

Let's Go. Definitely one that's spent some time in my playlist, and very close to A, but not quite as stand-out compared to the others for me.

Ah Nastassia. First half is super catchy, even if you don't get the lyrics at all. ay nastasia i nastasia... that's all I need for it to get stuck in my head. But I do not like the second half quite as much!

Korobelniki. Funny better Tetris theme. Beautiful vocals but the instrumentation/flow feels a bit confused and broken up to me, and the tune is pretty familiar. Has some pretttty sick moments.

My Country. It's beautiful, but it doesn't quite click with me. Something about the flow/pace and vocals don't seem to line up for me. Still, though, I would certainly call it good.

i don't think any tiers below "good" are necessary
Honestly I like the Stars of St. Petersberg recording of Korobeiniki more than the Red Army Choir one. It feels more in line with how I imagine the piece was intended to sound, even if they’ve opted to forgo singing.

Also Kalinka has been robbed HARD. That song’s an easy S tier.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly I like the Stars of St. Petersberg recording of Korobeiniki more than the Red Army Choir one. It feels more in line with how I imagine the piece was intended to sound, even if they’ve opted to forgo singing.

Also Kalinka has been robbed HARD. That song’s an easy S tier.
it took two double takes for me to realize you didnt say Katyusha. i guess i dont get to call you basic :smogduck:

kalinka has s-tier elements and im quite glad you told me i forgot it, but they don't quite click and blend together for me to where i can put it in S myself. probably second in A+ for me. respect your choice though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)