[GEN5 OU] Almighty Stall

I made this team for my state Pokemon League Championship, and stayed in the champ position for around 4 years, hope you like it!I also tried to make as fancy as possible, so it's a nice read :).

At a Glance:

In depth:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
It's the lead of the the team, it enter to use luck to the extreme and frustrate the enemy, his moves take down from Gyarados to Garchomp, Trick is for late game, to frustrate Walls like Blissey and Skamory, which get locked by the Scarf. i dont believe theres nothing more to say about him, a pretty straight forward lead.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 SDef / 236 Def
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Rest
It doesnt looks like it, but it's the teams defense against Infernape and other physical pokemons, in case it's clear that someone has and Eletric-Move, Garchomp comes in and takes the hit, Roar is the surprise factor, ruining pokemon trying to setup a Calm Mind or something, causing damage in the process.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 Def / 4 HP
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
I believe there's nothing much to say about him, just a classic Blissey, Toxic poisons shit, Soft-Boiled heals, Aromatherapy heals the team, while Seismic Toss hits Dark/Steel/Normal types.It can destroy Garchomp if the team doesnt have Aromatherapy somewhere, i'm thiking aout changing Soft-Boiled to Wish?Might be a good idead to help healing Garchomp or Jirachi when the switch is needed.

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SDef / 60 Def
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Pain Split
- Payback
Since HG/SS, Forretress won Pain Split, and ooohhhh it helps alot. It brings his power to the max, Payback checks Latios, Latias and Gengar, OHKOing them, Rapid Spin removes hazards so Zapdos and Gyarados can come in, Spikes is the principle of the set, destroy the enemy while setting up the field for Garchomp and Gyarados. Since this is a pretty straight forward set, i dont believe i can say nothing more about it.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Spd / 40 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute
This is the team wallbreaker, while Thunderbolt nails Skarmory, Toxic destroys Dusknoir and other pokemons,while SubRoost make him almost invencible, but he doesnt like hazards not a single bit, so Rapid Spin (Forretress) is his best friend, he nails Gyarados, which would otherwise wall this team, but Garchomp is his worst fear.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
The teams star, not only can he be used i offense, but in deffense too!You can change Roar to Fire Blast (Skarmory) or to Swords Dance, to act as a Late-Game cleaner, his startegy consist into using Roar to do Spikes + Stealth Rock damage, Earthquake nails Eletric types and Dragon Claw destroys dragons.

(Sorry for bad english, I'm Brazillian!)

Possible changes:
Garchomp: Fire Blast > Roar; Swords Dance > Roar
CM Latios > Zapdos
Blissey: Wish > Soft-Boiled
Forretress: Toxic Spikes > Pain Split

Last edited:
Hi Roxer123,

This seems more like a 4th gen team than a 5th gen team. Although you have a pretty solid core, I think your team needs a few updates to help it deal with the 5th gen metagame.

First off, for a stall team, leads don't really make sense due to team preview. Your opponent will be able to see what kind of team your running and make the appropriate lead adjustment. Therefore, it think you should switch Jirachi to a specially defensive set with Wish, Protect, Iron Head, and Body Slam. This allows Jirachi to check many Pokemon such as Gengar and Alakazam while keeping a solid defensive presence. In addition, Wish allows you to heal Pokemon on your team that don't have reliable recovery, such as Forretress.

Your stall team would really like a spinblocker to prevent your hazard from being blown away. That way you can more easily stall out the opposing team. Since RestTalk Gyradoes isn't as effective this generation, I recommend changing Gyradoes to a Jellicent with Scald, Recover, Will-o-wisp, and Taunt/Shadow Ball. Jellicent covers most of the Pokemon that Gyradoes was designed to counter and can beat common spinners such as Forretress and Starmie (without Thunderbolt), as well as checking threats such as Scizor and physically offensive Jirachi. Taunt allows Jellicent to prevent hazard from being set up, as well as opposing Pokemon from badly poisoning it, while Shadow Ball greatly helps Jellicent deal with the Lati twins and Starmie.

Since this team is a weatherless one, I think that you should change Blissey to Chansey. With Eviolite, Chansey has much higher defense stat, allowing it to check a large range of physical as well as special threats.

On Forretress, since Jirachi checks Latios, Latias, and Gengar, I think you can change Payback to Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball gives Forretress a reliable STAB move against many fast offensive Pokemon, which helps greatly against Terrakion and Mamoswine. In addition, I think Forretress would benefit from using physically defensive set. A physically defensive set allows Forretress to check the many offensive Pokemon in this tier that would otherwise muscle through Forretress's iron defenses. Another option to consider (since I've never used Pain Split Forretress) is changing Pain Split to Volt Switch and Shed Shell to Leftovers. Volt Switch allows you to escape Magnezone and helps you build defensive pressure.

I also think you should change Garchomp to Landorus-T. Landorus-T gives you much more defensive Pokemon than Garchomp, countering a wide range of physical threats due to its good bulk and Intimidate. It's offensive pressure isn't to bad either, backed up by a base 145 attack stat. Lando-T has a similar typing to Garchomp and can also set up Stealth Rocks.

On Zapdos I think you can try changing Substitute to Roar. Although, Zapdos can set up a Sub against many defensive Pokemon (and some offensive ones too), the phasing power from Roar will be more useful since changing Gyradoes to Jellicent, and Garchomp to Lando-T means that you lost two phazers. Although Substitute prevents Zapdos from being statused, you have Aromatherapy on Chansey which helps with that.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 216 SDef / 252 HP / 40 Spd
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Shadow Ball / Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 8 HP / 248 SDef
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy

Fortress (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch / Pain Split

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
[\HIDE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)