Programming Gen1to3 All-in-one Editor and Converter

First of all, thanks for creating this program. It works very well so far.

However, there seems to be a problem with editing Sapphire and Ruby (US edition). Whenever I edit my saves the pokemon are edited properly, but the amount of money is corrupted. The amount of money always shows up as 0 in the editor but in-game it's turned into 99999. If I change the amount manually, the amount remains changed but buying items raises the amount of money. After that, if I reopen the save it shows up as 0 again.

Thanks armornick.

The money-writing is a known issue. It's to do with the game encrypts that data using the trainer[secret]ID. I'm currently doing a major rewrite of the project to separate out the Gen 1, 2 and 3 components leading to an Android port and a proper Windows and Mac OS X release, in which it will be fixed.

In the meantime, a stable workaround is buying lots of stuff at the mart to get your money into a normal range. There'e no other issue I'm aware of.

Thanks armornick.

The money-writing is a known issue. It's to do with the game encrypts that data using the trainer[secret]ID. I'm currently doing a major rewrite of the project to separate out the Gen 1, 2 and 3 components leading to an Android port and a proper Windows and Mac OS X release, in which it will be fixed.

In the meantime, a stable workaround is buying lots of stuff at the mart to get your money into a normal range. There'e no other issue I'm aware of.
Expect new information in the next month or so, but I have other commitments.

Update: Download Version 1.3.0

A lot of code has been restructured behind the scenes, branching out the functionality into build project layers and for the separate generations.
Expect a split into three separate editors (for each generation) in addition to the all-in-one-download. Also planned are the image resources, names, data etc to be separated from the main program into an optional add-on. Once the core codebase is free from copyrighted content, it will be easy to port to Android as (free) Google play store apps.

It's really nice having an all-in-one editor for the different generations and games. Everything that I have tested seems to be working fine, but I have a suggestion. When selecting a name for something, it would be nice to be able to input your own text and let it make suggestions in the dropdown menu that you can click on. This would make finding things that you wanted a whole lot quicker.

Question: How did you convert the special stat from gen 1 to the separate special attack and special defense stats in later generations? What I am really asking is what calculation did you perform?

Question: How did you convert the special stat from gen 1 to the separate special attack and special defense stats in later generations? What I am really asking is what calculation did you perform?
Each stat is calculated as the game calculates them. The Special EV (like the other EVs) ranges from 0 to 65535 and is square-rooted in the equation. From Gen 3 on, the range became 0 to 255 and the square root part was removed. So the Special Attack EV and Special Defense EV are just the Special EV with the square root taken (and floored to integer). Going the other way the value is squared. The value itself may differ from 1 or so, opr more drastically if the EVs would have made it > 510.

Progress with development - Data objects, IO and API is completely rewritten and branched into three separate directions for gen 1, gen 2 and gen 3. Starting work on the GUI now which will integrate all three and allow for Gen 4 and above extension.
The new program will function as a complete Library, allowing you to Import the saves and synchronize between them at will in an iTunes style interface. Full drag and drop support for Pokemon and boxes, along with right-click Rename, right-copy/paste etc. So eg. you just drag the Pokemon icon over to the other game or box and it gets converted and copied over.

This is quite a good program, as I have seen from trying it.
I am curious though about the whole bringing teams from other generations on ROMs to legit copies of X and Y.
Is it via a save dongle or what?

I know it is off topic, but I am trying to calculate the pokemons stats. Could you link me the equations

Edit is this the formula?

Thanks

-MrElephant

Last edited:
This might be an old bug, but I'm getting a problem when trying to open my emerald.sav.
I'm using gPSP which I believe saves the normal battery size and style.
The old gens work like they always have, but when opening emerald.sav, it can't load and the load window won't go away. Feels like an open while statement.

EDIT: Just tried it with Ruby. Same issue. Might be with the save file?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MfqufXzUCJa2hTRFh2aVEzMHM/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Tried a natural Ruby save on my EZ-flash IV. Something I'm missing here? Freezes.

Last edited:
This might be an old bug, but I'm getting a problem when trying to open my emerald.sav.
I'm using gPSP which I believe saves the normal battery size and style.
The old gens work like they always have, but when opening emerald.sav, it can't load and the load window won't go away. Feels like an open while statement.

EDIT: Just tried it with Ruby. Same issue. Might be with the save file?

EDIT: Tried a natural Ruby save on my EZ-flash IV. Something I'm missing here? Freezes.
I'm having the exact same problem while trying to load emerald files. I've tried many different formats of saving the .sav file but all that ever happens is that it tries to load the .sav, asks me what version, and then never does anything.

I'll look into the above problem. In the meantime, here's a demo version of the new user interface. Lots of features are still to be coded, such as drag-and-drop and full conversion, but read/write should work correctly. It's more a demonstration of how the next release will look than a functional program. Significant changes include the ability to resize windows, more natural grouping of data fields into tabs and looser validation.

Download old version with fixes

Download new Beta

The next release will be split for Windows EXE, Mac OS X disk file as well as the cross-platform JAR.
Feedback much appreciated and will held move the project along to a finished version.

Regarding ethentianknight's file - it opened fine for me in both the old and new Editor on Mac OS X. The infinite loading thing is a threading issue with the old editor that is not a problem in the new version.

Last edited:
Non-legacy JAR will not open on my Windows 8 Laptop (HP Notebook 2000) nor will it open on the university's lab computers (win 8).
I could have figured the second for lack of execution privileges, but the legacy opened right up.
No errors, just the cursor telling me it's working, then nothing.

EDIT:
I'd like to say, however, that the legacy JAR is just fine and works wonders.

Two convenience features that I'd personally like to see are:
Folder Memory (opening a SAV starts at the last folder you opened a SAV in)
Bulk movement (Either full boxes or just multiple pokemon).

EDIT again:
Aaaaaaand I lied.
The legacy puts the old pokemon into the emerald save (A-save confirms the pokemon in the boxes) but Emerald wipes them all out. Not sure why. Might be an emerald problem.
Doubt it.

Edit again again:
fixed the problem by duplicating my starter in both my party and then my second box.
*poof* all the previous pokemon decided to exist.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't test it outside Mac OS X and just realised now why it won't work outside Mac!
Simple issue to resolve, I'll get back to you soon.

Folder Memory - good idea, I'll include it.
Bulk Movement - the new version has drag-and-drop with auto-convert when dragging between different games, which is very fast and as good as auto-convert. Let me know your thoughts when I've built the Windows version.

Last edited:
i´ve tryed the first .exe New Pokemon Gen 1 to 3 Editor in a windows 7 machine, it runs but donñt open the .sav, it just stay in the main window

Could you attach the file? How many bytes is it, what is the filename?
Try renaming it to include e.g. "Sapphire" or "Red".

Last edited:
New version 3.4 released:
GUI update fixes.
Nickname/experience auto-complete. (Experience changes to preserve level when you select a new species, and experience changes if the new Pokemon would have a different level).

I keep getting an error saying the file couldn't be saved. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue? I've tried with and without adding ".sav" to the end of the file.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)