Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
*A sandcastle pokemon is fine but the pre-evo wasn't needed. It's just a mound of sand and it feels like such a waste of dex space. Also, perhaps that picture of Pikachu getting trapped means it might have arena trap as an ability.

*The school fish pokemon has a great concept behind it. Game Freak seems to stepped it up in regards to abilities this gen. A lot of them fit the pokemon flavor-wise and some may even be competitively useful.

*Alola Marowak's design and concept is fantastic, right up there with Alola Ninetales. I love the nod to Hawaiian fire jugglers. Alola Meowth is the least interesting of the current Alola forms. They basically just changed the shade of its fur to match its typing. That said, I can't wait to see Persian's Alola form. After all, it is highly regarded as a pet b/c it's seen as beautiful and sophisticated (perhaps that's why the royal family chose to breed this line in particular).

*Team Skull is okay. They just look like variations of the punk trainer class. They don't seem like they're at the same sort of level as the previous villain teams are at.

Something I just realized is that Vulpix, Sandshrew, and Meowth are all version exclusives in the original Red/Blue games (all version Blue exclusives specifically). I wonder if there will be version exclusive alola forms and if the list of exclusives will end up being similar to the Red/Blue exclusives list.
If that's the case then I hope Vulpix is exclusive to Sun... My wife already claimed our reservation for Moon.

Calling it now: Aloan Gyarados will be Water/Dragon with Attack and Special Attack reversed.
So long as we get Water/Fairy Alolan or Mega Milotic, this is fine.

Not much to say about these leaks other than the fact that they're awesome. Good to see the ghost type getting some love this gen. Here's hoping Alolan Marowak has access to Thick Club and Phantom Force or some other ghost move. Flare Blitz / Phantom / Bonemerang / Filler should easily cover anything you encounter in game.

I actually base my choice of game on version exclusives. I'm kinda leaning more towards Moon right now, and I'm also thinking of using Mimikyu and Alolan Vulpix, so if those two are in Moon, I'll be pleased.

Last edited:
Why not water/ flying and learns aeroblast?
No Pokemon will ever learn Aeroblast. The only time a legendary' signature move was given to another Pokemon is Entei with sacred fire, which is for obvious reasons.

Anyhow I'm really hoping Johto Pokemon get some love here with these Alola forms, or Sinnoh. Hoenn hit the jackpot with like 20+ megas and all the Kanto hype getting shoved down our throats gets annoying. Pokemon like Girafarig and Magcargo could really use a boost.

No Pokemon will ever learn Aeroblast. The only time a legendary' signature move was given to another Pokemon is Entei with sacred fire, which is for obvious reasons.

Anyhow I'm really hoping Johto Pokemon get some love here with these Alola forms, or Sinnoh. Hoenn hit the jackpot with like 20+ megas and all the Kanto hype getting shoved down our throats gets annoying. Pokemon like Girafarig and Magcargo could really use a boost.
Sacred Sword used to be musketeer exclusive.

Johto does need love though.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'd like to point out the subtle changes with the new Alolan Pokemon.

With Dark Meowth, the most obvious changes from Normal Meowth is that the whiskers bend back and that the brown parts are a lighter gray. What's less obvious is that the tips of Dark Meowth's hand paws and whiskers are tipped with the lighter gray and the tail fades to the lighter color.

For Fire/Ghost Marowak, I had to look hard to notice more than just that the bone and arm lengths were longer. The legs might be longer too, but they might just look like that because they're slimmer. If you look at the top of where the tail meets the body, you can see what looks like part of a pattern on its back. I think that Fire/Ghost Marowak's back may look like Houndoom's back. I'd also like to mention that Alola's Grass types must be vicious predators to make a Ground type have a Darwin Evolution into a Fire Type. (I know it could also be the Ice types, but Grass makes funnier mental image.)

More cool 'mons this round, I especially like the swarm of fish that turns into a submarine hive mind. I wonder how you switch between the two?

Aloha Marowak is cool, Aloha Meowth is... underwhelming. If it weren't for the source, I'd assume this is a bootleg knock-off Meowth made to avoid copyrights.

I'm excited about team Skull, and while designs have no impact on the group's plot or motivations, I'd be happy if they rolled back the scale to a standard criminal organization. They could still make a compelling story out of it, and I'm kind of getting sick of this four different flavors of world dominiation/destruction shtick. I liked Plasma and Galactic, but Flare and Magma/Aqua pre-reboot took the concept and made it melodramatic and silly.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why does all the news drop when I'm at work...

NEW POKEMON:
Nuikoguma:
(It's very popular among women and children, and tops the lists of Pokemon people want to meet. It hates being touched and will kick and struggle to resist. It's very powerful, but once it evolves into Bewear it truly gains herculean strength.)
There's that contradictory dex descriptions again. So hates being hugged which everyone wants to do with it and its evolution wants to hug everything but everyone's afraid of it. Cruel irony... or sweet revenge?
"Oh, you guys liked to squeeze a poor defenseless Pokemon? *Bewear breaks a log hugging it* WELL WHO WANTS A HUG NOW?!"
Though due to that I think it should have remained pure Normal-type, like the reason no one wants to hug Bewear is because it gained the Fighting-type making it strong enough to break stuff. *shrugs*
For design, hmm, it's cute and a visible mouth makes it look less like a stuffed animal; still the face is a bit awkward. Also I'm alright with it just being a bipedal version of Bewear, a lot of Pokemon are like that like the Slowpoke family.
Hmm, I wonder what its English name will be, it should also be a pun. Adorabear/Abearable?

Sunabaa & Shirodesuna:
Aww, they're adorable (Yes, I find the sandcastle cuter than the Pokemon which was suppose to be cute)!
Dex Info said:
Sunabaa: A grudge that dwells inside a pile of sand turns into a Pokemon. Truly a terrifying creature.
Shirodesuna: It steals the life force from other Pokemon. Those Pokemon's grudges turn into a new Sunabaa.
Oh yeah, Ghost-type.
And once again we see how a Ghost-type Pokemon sort of duplicates itself, the other time being Phantump & Trevenant with the latter making people get lost with the former being the result of this when it happens to kids. :P
I like their design, brings to mind the simpler designs of Gen I. I like how the random shovel in Sunabaa's head becomes part of Shirodesuna's design. And that image of it capturing Pikachu is delightfully creepy and nightmarish. "Sorry Pikachu, but my friend Mimikyu wants you out of the picture..."
Possible Ability is definitely Arena Trap, even in the Japanese name doesn't exactly match (though the Diglett family also gets Arena Trap).

Yowashi:
No dex info, but its gimmick is more then enough to draw some discussion from. So its a single small fish but can summon other fish from somewhere to become a fish school which looks like a bigger fish.
I'm curious what this means for this Pokemon's stats and Ability (we know its pure Water). Also, I wonder if maybe it could possibly learn Vespiquen's Signature Moves, before it made sense only Vespiquen to learn it but now that we have another Pokemon that can summon a swarm of Pokemon...
Anyway "Single Form" (I would have gone with "Guppy Form") is just a small fry fish, nothing that special except maybe the water pupil eyes. However "School Form" is the main attraction here. It both looks amazing and tacky with how they made a giant fish out of smaller fish; my favorite part if the fish-shaped eyes and barely complete tail fin.

ALOLAN POKEMON:
Alolan Meowth:
(Alolan Meowth developed after being bred by the royal family of Alola.)
At first I was surprised to see an Alolan Meowth, but thinking about it having both the normal Meowth (due to player and their mother probably being from Kanto) would be a good way to introduce Alolan Pokemon in the games. You have your mother's normal Meowth but suddenly this darker fur Meowth with pointer whiskers appear and Professor Kukui explains the Alolan Forms.
Meowth becoming Dark-type makes sense, even though its sort of copying Purrloin. Interested in seeing what the Alolan Persian looks like, especially since sadly Alolan Meowth's appearance doesn't change all that much. At least it now has a stronger Night Slash.
Also first Alolan Pokemon to have its change be mainly due to human breeding them.
So in the anime do you think they'll have an episode where Team Rocket's Meowth falls in love with a female Alolan Meowth or maybe have a villainous Alolan Meowth to be a rival (or maybe both)?

Alolan Marowak: (Alolan Marowak developed in response to its natural predators in order to resist them.)
As predicted, Marowak is given an Alolan Fire-type form... and part Ghost-type? Hmm, not so sure about that change, especially when we learn why it changed. But Ghost/Fire is still alright and a nice little reference to Gen I's Ghost Marowak even though I don't think it quite fits.
Alolan Marowak changed forms in order to deal with its natural predators to resist them. Its natural predators would probably have the type advantage over them so Fire makes sense to handle Grass and Ice-types, but what about Water? What predator of Marowak is resisted by Ghost (which is Bug & Poison; Normal if you count immunities), shouldn't it had become part Grass, Water, or Dragon? Or maybe Electric.
Let's see, Ghost/Fire would drastically change how it plays. Flare Blitz + Rock Head sounds like fun though would it keep Rock Head? Not sure what other Ability it would get, maybe at least one Fire-based one like Flash Fire?
Its design is a simple change but I like it for what it is. As predicted its based on a fire dancer. While the ghostly flames look interesting I think it would have looked better if it was normal fire. Also its arms and body has become longer, probably to better spin and do tricks with its flaming bone staff. The marking on the skull is kind of bland (watch it now be a Hawaiian symbol with special meaning), kind of wish they were a bit more decorative with it.
Curious if Cubone gets an Alolan form, it would only make sense as this Marowak is an extreme departure from a normal Cubone.

POKEMON OTHER:
So next month CoroCoro is promising the reveal of Rockruff's evolution secret. Hmm, interesting it just mentions Rockruff but not the Alola Starters which they said holds a secret with Rockruff. Now one of the leaks said they'll have multiple evolution which I disagree with... at least for the Alola Starters. Now I'm wondering if maybe Rockruff might change evolution depending on Starter you have. Its an odd relation to have especially with Rockruff being Rock-type (seems likea gimmick for a Normal-type) but I'm interested to see where they go with it.

VILLAIN TEAM:
DARN IT! Huh? Oh, no, I'm not mad we have one. I feel rather neutral whether we had one or not (as long as we had an interesting story to make up for a lack of them). What I'm mad about is that in the Unpopular Opionions thread we were discussing villain teams themes and I got to thinking what possible team would be attacking Alola. I thought pirates but didn't both mentioning it since I thought that was pretty much Team Aqua's theme. *Sigh*
Alola is under siege (or will be) by pirates, makes sense. Team Skull, huh (get it, because a popular pirate flag if the "Jolly Roger"). Could this be the return of just an evil group trying to profit off Pokemon instead of taking over the world? Here's hoping, though remember, we thought the same of Team Flare but they then turned into a doomsday cult.
Not really much to say about Guzma and Plumeri (or the grunts) for now. Going to wait for better & fuller images (I think I see some interesting clothing bits on Guzma, possibly a Z-Ring?) and more info on them. Though from what I see I like their style, while the grunts look like classic pirates, Guzma and Plumeri look more modern (opposed to Team Aqua's leaders, thoguh I did like Archie's captain's coat).

Well that's all I got to say for now! Not a major reveal (also weren't we promised a tour of the Alola region?) but still just as welcomed to get.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Well, have you seen that Exeggutor?

Seriously though, I'd love to think of Tall Eggy as a vicious predator.
I now have the mental image of Exeggutor using Draco Meteor (AKA Dropping one of its heads) to have the dropped head bite a Marowak. Can someone make fan art of this?

I like the variety of Ghost types we've seen so far since there are fewer Ghost-typed Pokemon than most other types.
So far we've had Pychic/Ghost, Fire/Ghost, Ghost/Fairy, Ghost/Flying and Ghost/Ground.
Ghost/Fairy is a unique type combination and the others are very rare.

Overall, they've been showing some nice underused type combinations.
Unique:
Normal/Dragon
Poison/Fire
Bug/Fairy
Ghost/Fairy
Ice/Steel
Ice/Fairy

Very Rare (1 other line)
Electric/Steel
Electric/Fairy
Electric/Bug
Ghost/Ground
Ghost/Flying
Grass/Dragon
Ghost/Fire
Normal/Fighting (two formes but still rare)

I like this as rare type combos give the Pokemon that have them a fresh feeling.

When was it announced that the player and their family were from the Kanto region?
It was announced early on in the reveals, but I dunno exactly when. And if the region was never announced, the fact that the player and their mom have just moved to Alola was announced with the pet Meowth implying that you are from Kanto.

Pikachu315111 Cubtion (Cub+Caution) for Bewear's preevo maybe? Also we were promised a guide to the first Island in Alola... I don't think we've seen everything in this month's corocoro so far. Also: I think we've mostly progressed past the simple mafia style evil of Team Rocket, and odds are Team Skull will seek to use either Solgaleo or Lunara to mess with the tides. For better piracy or because they love a certain 90s Kevin Costner movie.

Team Skull could be very intetesting. I'm hoping they have some connection to Alolan forms. Whether they're trying to capture all of them to sell them off to safaris around the world, or more sinisterly trying to kill them off because they're "unnatural" or something (unlikely imo), it could be really cool to have them be a part of the storyline. I hope the Alolan forms aren't just thrown in there with no explanation in-game.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In fairness to Team Skull's youth, this is a series where the teenage protagonist topples adult organizations as a matter of course so arguably competing against other teenagers is a step up in terms of canonical difficulty.

Possessed sandcastle mons are crazy good designs. The shovel in Sunabaa's head is not random, it's supposed to be a play on the undead having various weapons stuck in their still-moving corpses as they shamble towards you, the most common one being an axe. And what's a shovel? A long wooden handle attached to a much heavier metal head - the spade is even blood red for goodness sakes!
Shirodesuna then turns this spade into either a crown or a weapon depending on how sharp you think it is. Also death by quicksand is legit terrifying - these things are like Chandelure immolate your soul scary when you get past the "Pokemon cute" appearances.

As far as Marowak and Resistance to predators, I'd note one very cool thing. Even though it's still weak to Water, it's immune to Scald's Burn effect and if Thick Club still works for A-Wak it can't be nullified by Burn. We all know Scald is the most predatory thing Water types have going for them.

Last edited:
It was announced early on in the reveals, but I dunno exactly when. And if the region was never announced, the fact that the player and their mom have just moved to Alola was announced with the pet Meowth implying that you are from Kanto.
In b4 this is Red's Kid. (kinda expecting it now)

On a more serious note . . . the first trailer they had showed a Japanese kid moving to Hawaii. While it appeared at the time to be a reference of Pokemon transcending language and cultural barriers to make everyone friends (five of my teeth rotted out saying that because it was so sweet) it could have been a pretty serious meta hint to the premise (though Johto, Sinnoh, and Hoenn are all based on Japan as well which dilutes its a little).

Really enjoying these Aloan Formes but I do hope they get expanded to other dexs and not just Kanto. Aloan Formes are a great way to introduce new mons without really doing it and without the Mega baggage too.

Edit: anyone else notice that the sandcastle is eating a pikachu?!?!

Last edited:
On the PC being from Kanto:
The Meowth does make the odds good considering that the Meowth line is almost exclusively found in the Kanto region. The only exceptions are the Trophy Garden in Sinnoh (which makes sense as it imports 'mons), a Mirage Island in Hoenn* (not exactly a normal place), and two Johto routes.

*good since Meowth was last seen in SoulSilver

I'm excited for the Ghost/Ground and Exeggecutor because they're one of the few Alola forms that aren't bloody SR weak. I mean seriously Stealth Rocks will kill these Pokemon forms or they have bad typings like Ice Steel. :( It's going to be so weird seeing a Marowak being weak to SR though real talk. Most of these forms didn't have recovery back at their original form so them being able to regenerate wouldn't make much sense.
Yeah, that's why both Mega Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Mega Pinsir, Volcanion, and Zapdos never see the light of day. Oh, and it gets even worse with things like Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence, just terrible, terrible 'mons.

Alolan Pokemon are Kanto-exclusive so far, which I think is good if they choose to retcon the weaker ones. I wonder if Alolan Marowak can use Thick Club?
If it counts as the same 'dex number, it will.

I just realized, we haven't seen Alolan Cubone/Exeggcute, which is somewhat odd, considering they've shown us Alolan Sandshrew and Vulpix.
This means one of two things:
A: Cubone and Exeggcute don't have Alolan forms, which seems unlikely, as it means you'd probably be able to catch wild Exeggutor (and Marowak, which isn't too odd), or Alolan forms would be triggered by some means other than just catching the pokemon in a specific location (evolving there could work, although I'm skeptical of that because we've seen Alolan Vulpix evolve into Alolan Ninetails.)
B: For some reason they don't want to show us Cubone and Exeggcute (Which seems more likely, although odd considering the reveal of Vulpix and Sandshrew along with their evos).

Just food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)