Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Heatran has been proved to live in several volcanic areas, it's a rare mon like Snorlax that apparently only appeared on volcanoes with a certain structure like that on Sinnoh(Stark and Reversal mountain) if it was lured by a magma stone.

Then ORAS came by and gave us heatran in scorched slab.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, as far as I know, asumming the Pokémon series follows a story line and all the games are not in separate universes, there is a truly bit number of unique legendaries. Pokémon like the regis, Cresselia, Heatran, the bird trio, the legendary beasts, lati twins... are used by a large amount of trainers in places like the Battle Frontier, implying they are not unique. What is more, most of them can be found in different locations, in different generations, in different regions. Even the rarest of the Pokémon, say Ho-Oh or Lugia, can be found in different places (talking about the main series not spin offs): navel rock, tin/bell tower, sea mauville (welp, in this case the Pokémon is teleported from another location so ill give it the benefit of the doubt).

I think Game Freak has never pronounced about which legendaries are truly unique at this moment.
Explain this, then.

Also, am I the only one who wants a Ground/Water type Alolan Vibrava/Flygon?

Yes? OK...
Okay, I stand corrected. I still maintain that it's unlikely that they will create Alolan forms of legendaries, but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Call me crazy if you want, but I think that Draco Meteor makes more sense for Alolan Exeggutor than Draconic Dragons. If Exeggutor drops one of its coconuts from 35 feet up, that has got to feel like a Meteor. Please don't tell me that Draco Meteor is Draconic Energy instead of an actual Meteor/Coconut.

Last edited:
I would lean towards having it currently learned as it would be easier on the programmers, make it less broken (don't have room for a specific counter? Here's a free super move to handle that when it arrives!), and would allow for event moves to be considered.
I agree, the official site rules are pretty explicit that the pokemon has to currently know a move of that type to use it's Z-move. Or else you'd get your scenario, where a pokemon could potentially have 5 coverage moves if the 5th one is a Z-move (most of the elemental fang users would be suspect, like Aerodactyl could have Wing Attack, Rock Slide, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, and Fire Fang->Inferno Overdrive for example. Gamefreak isn't going to do that).

So Pikachu can use Bloom Doom but only if it currently has Grass Knot.

The only thing up for suspect is if there's a physical/special/support split, and if not, do support moves even count. It does say match the Z-stone's type so maybe they mean a complete type? Like if Inferno Overdrive was physical then fire fang would work but ember wouldn't?

Guess we'll have to see.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually Heatran has been proved to live in several volcanic areas, it's a rare mon like Snorlax that apparently only appeared on volcanoes with a certain structure like that on Sinnoh(Stark and Reversal mountain) if it was lured by a magma stone.

Then ORAS came by and gave us heatran in scorched slab.
Who was in a Hoopa Ring, thus it was being taken from its natural habitat.

Now we've seen Alola has a volcano so it remains to be seen whether they bring the Lava Dome Pokemon and if they do anything with it.

Am I the only one who wants a Dragon Dancing palm with Sleep Powder, Explosion and LumHarvest Outrage?

Yes? OK...

What Dragon-type moves could this thing even get? Dragon Claw is probably a no. Dragon Rush? Outrage?
Physical: Dragon Rush, Dragon Tail, Outrage
Special: Draco Meteor (though all Dragons get it), Dragon Breath, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Rage

Not sure if it'll get Dragon Dance, even among Dragons that has a limited distribution.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Or they could pull an Ampharos and only give it Dragon Pulse.

Not likely given the attack used in trailer but just saying there is a precedent. Nothing is guaranteed anymore.
To be fair, the reason why that happened for Ampharos (and Sceptile sorta) is because they need to Mega Evolve to become Dragon-types.

I think since Aola Exeggutor is naturally a Dragon-type, it should learn Draco Meteor. Maybe its just me, but I have a feeling that it's going to be physically based however, maybe swap Exeggutor's Attack and Special Attack stats? Just total speculation on my part! That'd still give it higher SpA than Garchomp though I guess lol.

I know this is slightly off the current trend of conversation,

But considering the starters final evolutions are all but officially confirmed, I have seen a lot of complaints about them.

Are they really that bad? I'll admit I don't like littens evo's design, but I feel poplio's final Evo redeemed the underwhelming design that poplio had, and although I wish they did more with Rowlets final Evo, it's not horrendous, certainly these evos aren't as bad as the B&W started evos!?

Honestly curious to see if this sentiment is mirrored by those in this thread, and if so, why?

Last edited:
To be fair, the reason why that happened for Ampharos (and Sceptile sorta) is because they need to Mega Evolve to become Dragon-types.

I think since Aola Exeggutor is naturally a Dragon-type, it should learn Draco Meteor. Maybe its just me, but I have a feeling that it's going to be physically based however, maybe swap Exeggutor's Attack and Special Attack stats? Just total speculation on my part! That'd still give it higher SpA than Garchomp though I guess lol.
Honestly most evolved dragons have a high BST and I hope this Alolan Eggexcutor gets some stat buffs, especially in bulk. Maybe pull a mega Beedrill for bulk and sacrifice speed for some bulk. It would be really nice to see this man in upper tiers.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

But considering the starters final evolutions are all but officially confirmed, I have seen a lot of complaints about them.

Are they really that bad? I'll admit I don't like littens evo's design, but I feel poplio's final Evo redeemed the underwhelming design that poplio had, and although I wish they did more with Rowlets final Evo, it's not horrendous, certainly these evos aren't as bade as B&W!?

Honestly curious to see if this sentiment is mirrored by those in this thread, and if so, why?
From what I've seen on the internet, people seem to generally like Rowlett's final evo.

I've seen quite a bit of hate for Popplio's final evo though, which sorta surprises me. I think it looks rather elegant, and the idea of making it a Water / Fairy siren is pretty nice! (Note: the Chinese leak specifically brought up that Popplio's final evo was Water / Fairy)

As for Litten's, I get the impression that a lot of people are hating it because they fear its Fire / Fighting and bipedal. If for any reason it ends up being Fire / Dark (because the concept art mentions it likes to fight dirty), I could see some people changing their stance on it!

Are they really that bad? I'll admit I don't like littens evo's design, but I feel poplio's final Evo redeemed the underwhelming design that poplio had, and although I wish they did more with Rowlets final Evo, it's not horrendous, certainly these evos aren't as bade as B&W!?

It's honestly just Litten's evo that's bad imo. Another bipedal Fire Type starter. As for Popillo, I just find it "meh". It's decent, but not great.

It's honestly just Litten's evo that's bad imo. Another bipedal Fire Type starter. As for Popillo, I just find it "meh". It's decent, but not great.
Agreed. I don't see any use for it competitively and it just kind of looks too over designed. You take fire starters like Infernape and he's just a slim monkey with fire on his head and some fur on his body, but it's a really simple yet strong and even elegant design if you think about it. Even Typhlosion is another well liked starter, and he's just a rat (or something, I have no clue) with some fire on its back, yet it looks really slick and amazing.

This just looks like it has too much and it's too "beefy" or however you'd put it. It's the same reason why I don't like Emboar.

Have the starters actually been officially confirmed yet, or was this another random leak? I'm going to reserve judgment until they're officially revealed.

While I would prefer something else other than Fire/Fighting, it is still a pretty good type combination. The only Pokemon that resist the combo are Jellicent, Chandelure, Tentacruel, Azumarill, Victini, Dragalge, Mega Altaria and (counting Ubers) Giratina.

Have the starters actually been officially confirmed yet, or was this another random leak? I'm going to reserve judgment until they're officially revealed.

While I would prefer something else other than Fire/Fighting, it is still a pretty good type combination. The only Pokemon that resist the combo are Jellicent, Chandelure, Tentacruel, Azumarill, Victini, Dragalge, Mega Altaria and (counting Ubers) Giratina.
There was a leek that's quite likely true. I mean it could still be possible it isn't real but that's a lot less likely now.

There was a leek that's quite likely true. I mean it could still be possible it isn't real but that's a lot less likely now.
There was a girl that was in the leak in the background that looks exactly the same as the one revealed.

Since the leak is practically confirmed, might as well continue my opinions on them. Popplio's evolution is too disappointing for me, it's just way too feminine for a starter. Yes, Delphox was feminine but it's facial features and even body structure has some masculine features, but it just doesn't look good too me.

I love Rowlett's evolution though. Grass Flying is a useful typing that can check things like grounds, Keldeo, Serperior, and if it gets Hurricane it actually has a really good STAB. I only hope it has a high speed stat like Sceptile and Serperior, because it would be a really useful Pokemon on certain teams competitively. Oh, and it looks freaking badass.

There are a ton of other type combinations that resist Fire / Fighting. Water / flying, Dragon / Flying, and Water / Psychic are just a few examples.

Though I do agree that Fire Fighting is an excellent type combination. The fact that it negates an otherwise crippling weakness to SR and has excellent coverage with Fire are just a few amazing assets that the type combo has. I personally wouldn't mind litten becoming one.

There are a ton of other type combinations that resist Fire / Fighting. Water / flying, Dragon / Flying, and Water / Psychic are just a few examples.

Though I do agree that Fire Fighting is an excellent type combination. The fact that it negates an otherwise crippling weakness to SR and has excellent coverage with Fire are just a few amazing assets that the type combo has. I personally wouldn't mind litten becoming one.
It only works on fast Pokemon like Infernape and Blaziken, though. Litten's evolution is at best base 80 speed, and for Infernape's case he's viable because of his insane move pool which allows him to beat Pokemon that otherwise would give him hard problems.

Reactions: JES
There is one Z-move for each type and they're all likely to be damaging moves but what will determine whether they are physical or special?
If the Fire type Z-move is Special that will put Physical Fire types at a disadvantage as they won't have a Z-move for their best offensive stat.
It would be most fair for the Z-move to work off the higher of Attack and Special Attack.

It only works on fast Pokemon like Infernape and Blaziken, though. Litten's evolution is at best base 80 speed, and for Infernape's case he's viable because of his insane move pool which allows him to beat Pokemon that otherwise would give him hard problems.
Its pretty good on faster Pokemon yeah, but slower Pokemon get tons of mileage off of it too. The typing is not bad defensively, resisting a ton of common attacking types like steel, Dark, grass, bug, and ice while also being neutral to Fairy. Since not too many Pokemon resist the STAB combination, slower Pokemon such as emboar can also benefit from the typing to become extremely destructive wallbreakers. Not going to discuss how good the typing would be on Litten's Evo since we have no info on it, but I'm pretty sure that it would work on it no matter what its stat spread it has.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Game Freak has never pronounced about which legendaries are truly unique at this moment.
Arceus, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina are 100% confirmed unique. Others are not. I just have doubts on Mewtwo since it was man-made and he destroyed the lab afterwards (while team plasma made several genesects), and maybe on the lake guardian trio since they also have a job in the universe creation. But those four have not been confirmed unique yet afaik.

There is one Z-move for each type and they're all likely to be damaging moves but what will determine whether they are physical or special?
If the Fire type Z-move is Special that will put Physical Fire types at a disadvantage as they won't have a Z-move for their best offensive stat.
It would be most fair for the Z-move to work off the higher of Attack and Special Attack.
I was thinking about an adaptation depending on the move (but this is plain speculation, maybe it has even been confirmed otherwise, I don't know at all). For example, if you have Flamethrower, you have a special Z-move, with Fire punch, a physical one, and with will-o-wisp, a status one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)