Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kills Mega Audino's chance of being useful is its Ability. Healer just isn't that good, especially when compared to normal Audion's Regenerator (also Audino gets Heal Bell). It's also slow. However if they give Mega Audino the new Triage Ability and if Triage works on Heal Pulse...
Actually it still wouldn't be used because the opportunity cost would still be way too high.
In a vacuum, yeah, it'd be good and useful... but we don't live in a vacuum. We live in a metagame where using Mega Audino means you can't use Mega Salamence.

What kills Mega Audino's chance of being useful is its Ability. Healer just isn't that good, especially when compared to normal Audion's Regenerator (also Audino gets Heal Bell). It's also slow. However if they give Mega Audino the new Triage Ability and if Triage works on Heal Pulse...
It would be nice and give Mega Audino a new lease on life, but expecting them to change the Abilities of existing Megas is baseless speculation. There is nothing to suggest that. They haven't even shown Megas in Gen VII at all yet.

EDIT: Add what Kurona said.

Will someone please explain this? I can't figure it out or find out why.
It's a Touhou reference. There's an ice fairy named Cirno who is a popular character that is associated with (9) after a developer joke in one of the game manuals. On the page explaining the game screen he had her labeled "(9) - Idiot" and the joke has stuck since.

Edit: Side note: i am surprised there isn't crossover fanart yet. Both fandoms tend to work fast.

Im interested about what will be the "ultimete challenge" in this games in case there will be no gyms. ¿The League will get a replacement too or it will stay as it is?, with the only difference that you dont need badges to enter, but beating the trials instead.

To be fair, Gen I Pokémon tend to be the ones who need updates the most, though Gen II and Gen IV are close behind.

I guess this does raise the question of: what's the purpose of Alolan forms? I would like it to be giving new life to outclassed Pokémon, but Sandslash seems to be the only one to really fit that mold; there are many Ground types that do what Classic Sandslash does, only better. Classic Ninetales already has a niche with Drought. Or has Mega Charizard Y completely usurped that spot? I haven't been keeping up. Exeggutor was the only Grass-Psychic type allowed in official formats, so it seems weird to lose it. Not that Grass-Psychic is a great type combination; it has a ton of weaknesses. Although uh Grass-Dragon has almost as many weaknesses, and arguably Dragon is a poorer attacking type than Psychic.
Well, we haven't seen Hidden Abilities for either of the new Ice type Alolan forms. Personally, I'm expecting that since Ninetales' HA is Drought, this one might get Snow Warning. And based on Slash's description (EDIT: and the fact that regular Slash's HA is Sand Rush) it might get something equivalent to Sand Rush/Clorophyll/Swift Swim. This is the only typing that doesn't have it anyway. It'd be nice to see GF make hail teams viable.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that if Mega Evolution returns, which it most likely will due to the Z-Ring having a slot for the keystone on the back of it, Gamefreak is most likely going to be nerfing at least of few of the more overpowered Mega Evolutions, so Mega Audino might have a chance to be useful (though I still heavily doubt this since its stats, typing, and ability aren't that good). Its not like nerfing a few of the Mega Evolutions abilities is completely out of the question either, as Gamefreak has considered releasing a patch to nerf Mega Kangaskhan in the past.

Is Mega Audino not a good support Pokémon for Doubles (and Triples)? (Forgive me, I haven't been really into the competitive battling scene since 4th gen.) I mean obviously it's lousy in Singles; it has a useless Ability and awful attacking stats. But it has great bulk, Heal Pulse, etc.
I've found Nurse Joe to be a useful supporter. If you're like me and prefer a balanced offensive approach, he's pretty good. Plus, you can't argue that being able to Skill Swap Truant from Slaking+Heal Pulse isn't damned useful!

Just don't bring him to ultra-offensive matches, and keep him the hell away from Singles!

I want a Rock/Water Heatran-A...

Yup, that's all. I'd like it.
This might be nice, but I seriously doubt that they will create Alolan forms of legendaries. Since there is only one of them, it would make no sense for them to ever evolve. Plus GF will want room for new legends in SM.

Reactions: JES
Is Mega Audino not a good support Pokémon for Doubles (and Triples)? (Forgive me, I haven't been really into the competitive battling scene since 4th gen.) I mean obviously it's lousy in Singles; it has a useless Ability and awful attacking stats. But it has great bulk, Heal Pulse, etc.
If Healer wasn't a 30% activation rate and instead always active, it would be decent for supporting a legendary. But then again you'd ask yourself when you're not using regular Audino or just HA Blissey instead (unless your support Pokemon REALLY needs Fairy typing)

This might be nice, but I seriously doubt that they will create Alolan forms of legendaries. Since there is only one of them, it would make no sense for them to ever evolve. Plus GF will want room for new legends in SM.
Actually Heatran has been proved to live in several volcanic areas, it's a rare mon like Snorlax that apparently only appeared on volcanoes with a certain structure like that on Sinnoh(Stark and Reversal mountain) if it was lured by a magma stone.

Then ORAS came by and gave us heatran in scorched slab.

Last edited:
Im interested about what will be the "ultimete challenge" in this games in case there will be no gyms. ¿The League will get a replacement too or it will stay as it is?, with the only difference that you dont need badges to enter, but beating the trials instead.
Nothing's been officially revealed yet, but it looks like there's still a Pokemon League on the map which the leaks dubbed an "artificial island".

Okay, half a page of Mega Audino is exactly how this thread gets closed. Let's curb that topic before DHR-107 wakes up.

Anybody seen the official artwork for the Z-moves? Because

Oh baby.

Definitely getting a Super Mario Strikers vibe from that art.

In other news, it now just occurs to me that Ninetales is an ice type so that Gamefreak can make a pun. Because it's Ice-ninetales!

Get it? Ice-9? Kurt Vonnegut? Anybody?

Actually Heatran has been proved to live in several volcanic areas, it's a rare mon like Snorlax that apparently only appeared on volcanoes with a certain structure like that on Sinnoh(Stark and Reversal mountain) if it was lured by a magma stone.

Then ORAS came by and gave us heatran in scorched slab.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, as far as I know, asumming the Pokémon series follows a story line and all the games are not in separate universes, there is a truly bit number of unique legendaries. Pokémon like the regis, Cresselia, Heatran, the bird trio, the legendary beasts, lati twins... are used by a large amount of trainers in places like the Battle Frontier, implying they are not unique. What is more, most of them can be found in different locations, in different generations, in different regions. Even the rarest of the Pokémon, say Ho-Oh or Lugia, can be found in different places (talking about the main series not spin offs): navel rock, tin/bell tower, sea mauville (welp, in this case the Pokémon is teleported from another location so ill give it the benefit of the doubt).

I think Game Freak has never pronounced about which legendaries are truly unique at this moment.

The Anime has given us several Darkrai and at least 3 Heatran not counting movies, heck heatran was the first legend owned by a trainer, even before Tobias rampage, showcased in DP at the same episode cyndaquil evolved into quilava.

Heck eruption heatran was a very special heatran on her population if I recall.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who wants a Dragon Dancing palm with Sleep Powder, Explosion and LumHarvest Outrage?

Yes? OK...

What Dragon-type moves could this thing even get? Dragon Claw is probably a no. Dragon Rush? Outrage?
Dual Chop & Dragon Rush are probably the most likely.

This is what the official site says about the Z-move requirements
There are two conditions for performing Z-Moves: a Pokémon must learn a move of the same type as a Z-Crystal, and it must be holding the corresponding Z-Crystal.
I interpreted this is to mean that the Pokemon has to have a move with the same type as the Z-crystal in its moveset.
Another interpretation is that it simply needs to have a matching move in its movepool.
The second interpretation is more permissive as it allows a powerful one-use coverage move.
It's a reasonable interpretation too, probably the more reasonable one.
When we say a Pokemon learns a move we almost almost mean that it's in the movepool.
I guess there's room for clarification but I will go with that for now.
I'm not sure it's what the official site means though.
What do other people think?

Gabe said:
Dual Chop & Dragon Rush are probably the most likely.
According to Bulbapedia, Eggy used Dragon Rush in one of the Trailers (Eng. or Jp)

Last edited:
This is what the official site says about the Z-move requirements

I interpreted this is to mean that the Pokemon has to have a move with the same type as the Z-crystal in its moveset.
Another interpretation is that it simply needs to have a matching move in its movepool.
The second interpretation is more permissive as it allows a powerful one-use coverage move.
It's a reasonable interpretation too, probably the more reasonable one.
When we say a Pokemon learns a move we almost almost mean that it's in the movepool.
I guess there's room for clarification but I will go with that for now.
I'm not sure it's what the official site means though.
What do other people think?

According to Bulbapedia, Eggy used Dragon Rush in one of the Trailers (Eng. or Jp)
I would lean towards having it currently learned as it would be easier on the programmers, make it less broken (don't have room for a specific counter? Here's a free super move to handle that when it arrives!), and would allow for event moves to be considered.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
The move Alolan Exeggutor used definitely wasn't Dragon Rush because we've already seen Dragonite use Dragon Rush against Zygarde in the Japanese Tapu Koko reveal trailer. It looked more like a new animation for Dragon Tail, which is probably also the whole reason they gave the form a tail in the first place, since there are very few existing Dragon moves that would make any sense on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)