Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some speculation on new forms for old Pokemon. From the wording it seems clear that if an old Pokemon has a new form then it must be in the Alola dex (as in not restricted to only the national dex). So unless the Kalos region is also contained in these games it seems likely that in order obtain the previous forms of the Pokemon one will have to import them via Pokebank. it should be noted that when breeding two different forms together the hatched Pokemon would likely take the form of the female like is the case already with Basculin and Shellos.

I couldn't find a list anywhere, so apologies if this information is located elsewhere and I missed any Pokemon, but I watched all the English and Japanese trailers and made a list of the old Pokemon that appeared in them.
In Battle
Fearow
Pikachu
Zubat
Psyduck
Primeape
Arcanine
Machamp
Slowbro
Gengar
Kangaskhan
Electabuzz
Tauros
Eevee
Snorlax
Dragonite
Ariados
Sudowoodo
Politoed
Murkrow
Delibird
Skarmory
Masquerain
Nosepass
Flygon
Milotic
Salamence
Metagross
Garchomp
Lucario
Lillipup
Gigalith
Krookodile
Archeops
Emolga
Rufflet
Pancham / Pangoro
Sylveon
Goodra
Trevenant

Outside of Battle
Charizard
Slowpoke
Tauros
Lapras
Miltank
Sharpedo
Stoutland
It would seem likely that many of these Pokemon are native to the Alola region so there is a very high probability that they will not be getting alternative forms. I don't remember how it was in the reveal of Pokemon X/Y but I believe that all of the Pokemon used in the pre-release trailers were available to be caught in the Kalos Pokedex. Most certainly the Pokemon shown outside of battle will not be getting alternate forms so no Tauros-A.

Assuming this is the case then there is another contradiction with the leaks due to the appearance of Arcanine in its usual form. This is a big assumption, but assuming Arcanine is in the Alola dex then it seems likely that they would use its Alola form in the trailers.

So I am not going to put much faith in the rest of that leak, especially fighting type Abra. Please Gamefreak don't do this! Alakazam has been one of my top 5 favorite Pokemon since RBY and I always use him whenever I have the chance and this is one change I don't want to see happen. Mega Mewtwo X was bad enough.

Why are people assuming that all the Kanto Pokemon are getting Alola forms? For that to happen that would mean the Alola dex would have: all non-legendary Kanto pokemon + a handful of other pokemon from other gens + all the new Alola Pokemon... I don't exactly see Grimer and Muk, two Pokemon caused by human pollution as a thing on Alola. (Koffing and Weezing being near volcanic gasses makes sense though.)

And even if that did happen, the Alola Pokemon are different due to actual evolutionary pressures. That doesnt seem likely to apply to all older Pokemon found in the Alola Region. If I had to guess there will probably be about 15 - 20 Alola Forms at most in-game.

I agree but... There's really someone that thought that every 1st gen mon was getting a new forme? That's pretty silly to begin with.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Speculation on my part, but maybe the reason why Arcanine was in a trailer is because there are cases where Aolan and non Aolan Pokemon co-exist. Like maybe Fire Growlithe is found near Volcanoes, while Water Growlithe is found near oceans.

For all we know, maybe some are version exclusive. I think it'd make a lot of sense for say, Fire Growlithe to be Sun exclusive, and Water Growlthe to be Moon exclusive!

And of course, the Japanese trailer briefly showed classic Exeggutor, so its possible the trailers where fighting against Pokebanked / bred from Pokebank Pokemon with the purpose of not spoiling people. I'm not sure I'd take Pokemon's appearances in trailers as a sure thing for anything really!

So I am not going to put much faith in the rest of that leak, especially fighting type Abra. Please Gamefreak don't do this! Alakazam has been one of my top 5 favorite Pokemon since RBY and I always use him whenever I have the chance and this is one change I don't want to see happen. Mega Mewtwo X was bad enough.
While I dislike Mega Mewtwo X too for various reasons, I don't see any "change" in the Abra line happening. It would has just get new, different formes, the original ones remaining as they are.

Speculation on my part, but maybe the reason why Arcanine was in a trailer is because there are cases where Aolan and non Aolan Pokemon co-exist. Like maybe Fire Growlithe is found near Volcanoes, while Water Growlithe is found near oceans.

For all we know, maybe some are version exclusive. I think it'd make a lot of sense for say, Fire Growlithe to be Sun exclusive, and Water Growlthe to be Moon exclusive!

And of course, the Japanese trailer briefly showed classic Exeggutor, so its possible the trailers where fighting against Pokebanked / bred from Pokebank Pokemon with the purpose of not spoiling people. I'm not sure I'd take Pokemon's appearances in trailers as a sure thing for anything really!
Wait which Japanese trailer, the most recent one? It didn't show the original Exeggutor in battle, just as a comparison.

While I dislike Mega Mewtwo X too for various reasons, I don't see any "change" in the Abra line happening. It would has just get new, different formes, the original ones remaining as they are.
Well yes, I know that the original ones will not be replaced, but it just doesn't seem right. Also, I have a feeling that Pokemon that received Mega evolutions in Gen VI will not receive alternate forms in Gen VII.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I probably don't want an answer if this is already known, but does the end of the Pokémon League mean that Ash will finally beat it in Kalos?

More in-topic, Z-moves are really interesting... To say the least. My main question is "does missing (read: hitting on a protecting turn) burn your shot?" Even if they were a questionnable gimmick in gen 5 singles, gems were good in gen 5 DOU and VGC since they wouldn't be used if the hit doesn't connect. This is what will make the biggest difference here, probably more than "can all 6 Pokémon use a Z-move or just one of the team".

Otherwise, Eggy is hilarious, I really like it. The other four are also very good-looking. Another great trailer, I just can't wait for November :D

To anyone who is still wondering what about Exeggutor's design is draconic, it's Eggy's resin. There is a type of bright red resin that is literally called dragon's blood.

Yes, Alolan Exeggutor is a 35 foot, 900 pound coconut palm tree with "the blood of dragons" in its veines. It doesn't get much more epic than that...
Oh and don't forget that it probably still has Psychic powers.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
To anyone who is still wondering what about Exeggutor's design is draconic, it's Eggy's resin. There is a type of bright red resin that is literally called dragon's blood.

Yes, Alolan Exeggutor is a 35 foot, 900 pound coconut palm tree with "the blood of dragons" in its veines. It doesn't get much more epic than that...
Oh and don't forget that it probably still has Psychic powers.

There's also this, which is called a Dragon Palm:

Does anyone else find it hilarious that people were complaining about the type effectiveness hints because it'd make the game too easy, but with Alolan forms the people who have been playing the longest might be the biggest benefactors? I know I'm going to see some of them and not think of their new types.
Honestly I still think they're not a good idea, but then again I've never seen an Eggexecutor in almost my entire competitive career nor have I seen Sandslash minus a bit in BW so I probably won't forget the new types.

Now that I think of that, I can't think of any Pokemon with access to both Fire and Ice moves without the aid of TMs (And of course not counting Hidden Power).

But imagine a Mega Alakazam with 5 flying nunchakos!! And the elemental punches!!

It'll probably work like Shellos with the mother determining the form. Now it would be interesting if Alolan Ninetales (in reference to its roots) can get a few fire typed attack by breeding with its original version, but I have my doubts.
A Pokémon with Ice and Fairy STABs and Fire type coverage... god I want one!!

No switchings!! HAHAHAHA...

Except for Heatran... and any Fire Type...

Does anyone else find it hilarious that people were complaining about the type effectiveness hints because it'd make the game too easy, but with Alolan forms the people who have been playing the longest might be the biggest benefactors? I know I'm going to see some of them and not think of their new types.
I agree that it kinda makes the game too easy, but since I imagine there will be plenty of Alola forms that aren't revealed until we find them in the game, it may be kind of nice. It also depends how different the Alola forms look; Exeggutor-A looks very much the same as its normal form albeit much taller, but it's impossible to miss that Vulpix-A and Sandshrew-A lines are Ice-type.

But imagine a Mega Alakazam with 5 flying nunchakos!! And the elemental punches!!
That brings up an interesting point. If pokemon who already have a mega evolution get an Alolan form, will their mega get an Alolan form too?

If a species has a Mega, then all forms of that species can Mega Evolve. Kinda like how a Hacked Mega Charizard Y can Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard X while it's holding that Mega Stone. I think it'll function slightly different but for the most part, I can see Alolan Alakazam receiving a different Mega Evolution.
Design wise for the line, I'm hoping for Forks instead of Spoons and for the mega, instead of 5 Forks, just wield 1 big one. :P
I'm also hoping it stays a Special Attacker and switch Defense and SpDef. We don't really have a Special Offensive Fighting type other than Virizion, Keldeo, Lucario and Infernape.

If a species has a Mega, then all forms of that species can Mega Evolve. Kinda like how a Hacked Mega Charizard Y can Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard X while it's holding that Mega Stone. I think it'll function slightly different but for the most part, I can see Alolan Alakazam receiving a different Mega Evolution.
Design wise for the line, I'm hoping for Forks instead of Spoons and for the mega, instead of 5 Forks, just wield 1 big one. :P
I'm also hoping it stays a Special Attacker and switch Defense and SpDef. We don't really have a Special Offensive Fighting type other than Virizion, Keldeo, Lucario and Infernape.
And even then, three of those are mixed. Another dedicated Special Offensive Fighting-type would be neat.

In before we get Alolan Charizard and that thing ends up being the only Pokémon with four different Mega Evolutions.
As ridiculous as it sounds, Nintendo loves using Charizard for marketing purposes and three new forms could do just that for the 20th anniversary games.

Please no.
And watch as Venusaur and Blastoise get left in the dust again. Although I guess they could just not give Alolan forms to Mega Pokemon which isn't to Farfetch'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)