Gen 9 OU Hybrid Rain Team

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of battles recently, testing a bunch of different variations for the meta including the barraskewda and pelipper core.I've always loved barra with swift swim and really want to make it work in this meta game without using the same mons you see all the time. With that being said, I have a tough time with kyurem (if it runs either choice scarf or choice specs, Freeze dry and draco are really tough to deal with), Raging bolt (if it sets up calm minds, it usually can sweep with a dragon pulse thunderclap combo if not put to an end early) king gambit (5 fallen sucker ohkos barra w out a swords dance and barra only kills with rain when gambit has around 40% health left with aqua jet), Rillaboom (choice band or swords dance grassy glide is very tough to deal with on this team because of it being an end game barra hard counter) and breaking through stall with this lineup (alomomola wish sets, Blissey with seismic toss, and dondozo are the mains) , so was hoping if anyone could help rate my team and maybe help me with some strong alternatives if needed.

Goodra-Hisui @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 100 Atk / 56 Def / 100 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Goodra is my all around wall, taking draco's from raging bolt and moves from kyurem while also being a good counter for ogrepon wellspring and rillaboom with sap sipper and flamethrower. I went with flame because I wanted that extra option for gholdengo with a balloon as well, but have thought about maybe using thunder or something for alo because Its very tough for my team to break through it.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 232 Def / 106 SpA / 170 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Pelipper is my rain setter, taking a banded grassy glide and retaliating with hurricane to ohko with the spatk investments. He also has some speed to be able to surprise enemy teams with a surprise rain boosted hydro. I carry ice beam over u-turn for dragonite aswell because I noticed that everyone is clicking dragon dance turn 1 and it gets dragonite to 57% breaking multi-scale and allowing barra to retaliate

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Poison Jab

My barra set is something I really need help with. I feel like everytime I take aqua jet off I auto lose to king gambit or dragonite. At the same time I feel like I am always in need for a way to deal with galarian slowking on this team so i'll run crunch sometimes. Poison jab has proven to be really good to revenge unsuspecting primarina and is a strong grass counter. It also one hits alolan ninetails before it can setup an aurora veil. Close combat is here to break through blissey on a predicted switch and un terra's King Gambit if it comes out early. I've though about replacing this for drill run or psychic fangs aswell. Any help with this set would be greatly appreciated.

Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Steam

Walking Wake is one of my favorite pokemon and is here as my sun counter and wall breaker. I've opted to have hydro pump on this because a specs hydro in the rain is tough for anyone to deal with even with resist. Draco is here to outspeed and kill kyurem as well as get big damage on any other physical walls. Flame thrower is here to oh ko offensive gholdengo and also jus for coverage. Hydro steam is for when sun is up as my counter.

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rapid Spin
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner

My great tusk is here mainly because I found he is the best mon to deal with King Gambit. This set I feel is pretty standard and have found good success with bulkup on this mon. His role on my team is just to be a physical wall that can remove hazards like sticky web, tank king gambit, and be a ponteital setup sweeper late game.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 50 Def / 56 SpA / 50 SpD / 100 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Jirachi as my sixth member is someone that is always alternating. I switch between Jirachi with assault vest scizor aswell as hatterene, or rillaboom. The reason why I have gone with Jirachi here and use it the most is because it's very good to completing shut down rillaboom lead as well as glimmora lead. It is also a great check if you lead tusk and have tusk as your rocker and use jirachi to check a mortal spin. I like thunderbolt on jirachi for another way to deal with dondozo or alo because like I said stall usually just ends me and psychic is good stab damage to get chip on clodsire, galar slowking, or zamazenta on a bulkup. I use jirachi as my lead here mainly because it can pivot out of any lead for the most part, and I chose to have stealth rock on it to allow tusk to have setup potential on this team while maintaining its role as a physical wall. This slot is something I really need help with aswell so again any suggestions are very welcome and please let me know what you think of the team and how I can make it better!

Last edited:
Pretty cool team. I haven’t had much luck with rain since Arch was banned but I can give some ideas. The mon choices are fine for the most part.

I have no experience using Hoodra at all, but it seems to fit your team. I would consider Sludge Wave > Flamethrower, since it is checking Grass Types. Body Press can possibly be used over Earthquake if you want. It will do more to Kingambit, and rewards you for investing in physical defense.

Pelipper- Relaxed or Sassy Nature. Max out HP and Defense (Relaxed) or Special Defense (Sassy). Use a 0 Speed IV. For moves- Surf / Hurricane, U-Turn, Roost, Knock Off. Tera Steel will help with Kyurem if you opt for Sassy, but you may not want to unless you add a secondary flying type.

Barraskewda should be Adamant with Liquidation, Flip Turn, Close Combat, and Aqua Jet. There’s a spread that was going around to live sucker. Not sure, maybe someone has it?

I love Walking Wake too! Consider Hurricane > Flamethrower and Weather Ball > Hydro Pump. Weather Ball has better accuracy than Hydro and makes up for Flamethrower vs Sun. Hurricane is good mid-ground move (Draco can draw blanks) and can hurt Ogerpon-W!

For the last two, you have a Raging Bolt problem, yes. You also can use another breaker. Great Tusk can’t really do both. Not sure how to fix this. Assault Vest Great Tusk can switch into Raging Bolt, but you’ll need a more offensive steel than Jirachi in the last slot. Or, since we like this Tusk let’s rough it out change it to Heavy Duty Boots, Maximum Attack and Speed, Jolly.

For the last slot, make Jirachi faster so that opposing Tusk can’t spin your rocks. Try Maximum Special Attack and Speed, Hasty Nature - Psychic, Thunder, Stealth Rocks, Iron Head / Healing Wish. Iron Head can anti-lead Glimmora.

Hope this helps!

Pretty cool team. I haven’t had much luck with rain since Arch was banned but I can give some ideas. The mon choices are fine for the most part.

I have no experience using Hoodra at all, but it seems to fit your team. I would consider Sludge Wave > Flamethrower, since it is checking Grass Types. Body Press can possibly be used over Earthquake if you want. It will do more to Kingambit, and rewards you for investing in physical defense.

Pelipper- Relaxed or Sassy Nature. Max out HP and Defense (Relaxed) or Special Defense (Sassy). Use a 0 Speed IV. For moves- Surf / Hurricane, U-Turn, Roost, Knock Off. Tera Steel will help with Kyurem if you opt for Sassy, but you may not want to unless you add a secondary flying type.

Barraskewda should be Adamant with Liquidation, Flip Turn, Close Combat, and Aqua Jet. There’s a spread that was going around to live sucker. Not sure, maybe someone has it?

I love Walking Wake too! Consider Hurricane > Flamethrower and Weather Ball > Hydro Pump. Weather Ball has better accuracy than Hydro and makes up for Flamethrower vs Sun. Hurricane is good mid-ground move (Draco can draw blanks) and can hurt Ogerpon-W!

For the last two, you have a Raging Bolt problem, yes. You also can use another breaker. Great Tusk can’t really do both. Not sure how to fix this. Assault Vest Great Tusk can switch into Raging Bolt, but you’ll need a more offensive steel than Jirachi in the last slot. Or, since we like this Tusk let’s rough it out change it to Heavy Duty Boots, Maximum Attack and Speed, Jolly.

For the last slot, make Jirachi faster so that opposing Tusk can’t spin your rocks. Try Maximum Special Attack and Speed, Hasty Nature - Psychic, Thunder, Stealth Rocks, Iron Head / Healing Wish. Iron Head can anti-lead Glimmora.

Hope this helps!
wow man thankyou so much for this! I really appreciate all the input and i have never thought of running hurricane on wake before so I will definitely try that. I also think that pelipper set being able to pivot might be exactly what im missing here. You brought up a good point in that tusk can't do both and like the idea of having it be bulky both on the physical and special side. All around you've given me a bunch to think about here lol so thankyou! my last question would be would you replace hisuian goodra all together? and if so for what?

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
wow man thankyou so much for this! I really appreciate all the input and i have never thought of running hurricane on wake before so I will definitely try that. I also think that pelipper set being able to pivot might be exactly what im missing here. You brought up a good point in that tusk can't do both and like the idea of having it be bulky both on the physical and special side. All around you've given me a bunch to think about here lol so thankyou! my last question would be would you replace hisuian goodra all together? and if so for what?
I would go for Raging Bolt because of how hard it hits in Rain with Thunder and it fits into rain overall. Its also its an electric type which helps against opposing water types which you don't really have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)