Done Gen 8 CAP Updates - CAP10 - Krilowatt

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
:krillowatt:CAP10: Krilowatt Generation 8 Update:krillowatt:​
Hello! Welcome to the Generation 8 Krilowatt update thread. In this thread, we will be updating the movepool of one of our past CAP creations to better match the changes Gamefreak made in Generation 8.

A major change that occurred between this update cycle and the last was to significantly narrow the scope of CAP updates. Abilities, statlines, and typings will not be changed during the course of this update. Only changes to a CAP's movepool will be allowed. Additionally, full movepool changes are also off the table, as the Update Leaders will decide where to distribute moves for their respective Pokemon based off logic and the ICC.

Furthermore, we have defined what type of changes are allowed to movepools, as well as the type of moves up for discussion. Movepool changes will be broken down in two categories: removals and additions. Moves that are subject to removal are those that have been rendered unusable in Sword and Shield, such as Pursuit, and past generation tutors and Technical Machiness that are not available as a Generation 8 Technical Machines or Technical Records. Move that are subject to addition are moves introduced in Sword and Shield and moves that are new Generation 8 Technical Machines or Technical Records. Please make sure that any moves brought up in this thread fall under at least one of these categories.

We have also defined the following considerations for use in evaluating move removals and additions. The foremost consideration is that any change proposed fits both the flavor of the CAP in question and the flavor of Generation 8 as a whole. This means that all changes should follow trends and precedents seen in Generation 8. Intentional buffing and balancing of CAP Pokemon is not the intent of this update cycle. We also wish to avoid the creation of an unbalanced CAP Pokemon. Therefore, the second consideration for move changes is the competitive impact of said changes. Moves that are clearly too powerful will be banned from discussion by the Update Leader.

This update cycle also has a set schedule. For four weeks, each of the seven Update Leaders will post a discussion thread for a single CAP Pokemon. This thread will be used for the discussion of changes to a CAPs movepool as explained in this post. Each thread will have six days reserved for discussion on potential changes to a CAP's movepool. On the seventh day, the Update Leader will collect the ICC and determine what will be changed. Controversial changes will be subject to a poll.

For the discussion of Krilowatt, please refer to the winning movepool from Gen 7 Updates for the CAP's full movepool. Some other resources the CAP mods have compiled to make discussion easier is this list of cut moves that are distributed to our CAP pokemon, and this list of past TMs that were not included as Gen 8 TMs and TRs. Note that for the TM list, moves with * are those that have been cut entirely.

This thread will be locked until LucarioOfLegends makes their leading post.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Welcome back, lets move to our favorite shocking shrimp dish, Krilowatt!

:sm/krilowatt:

Let's have a look at the movepool!

Red means the move is not in SWSH
Blue means the move would only be available as a pre-Gen 8 transfer move through Pokemon Home
Green moves would be blue, except the move already appears in Level Up or Egg Moves

0 Aqua Tail
0 Magnetic Flux
0 Ice Shard
0 Bubble
0 Charge
Evo: Aqua Tail
5 Thunder Shock
11 Confuse Ray
17 Imprison
24 Mirror Coat
28 Bubble Beam
33 Counter
39 Copycat
46 Heart Swap
51 Discharge
53 Wild Charge
57 Guillotine
63 Thunder
68 Muddy Water
Counter (Pyukumuku)
Entrainment (Araquanid)
Follow Me (Togekiss)
Me First
Metronome (TR)
Mind Reader (no donors)
Mirror Coat (Cursola)
Sheer Cold (Glalie)
Speed Swap (TM)
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team

TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM55 Scald
TM56 Fling
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM72 Volt Switch
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM78 Bulldoze
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM93 Wild Charge
TM94 Surf
TM98 Waterfall
TM100 Confide
Earth Power
Electroweb
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Low Kick
Recycle
Shock Wave

Signal Beam
Snore
Thunder Punch
Water Pulse
Aqua Tail
Captivate
Cut

Dive
Endure
Flash
Fury Cutter

Helping Hand
Natural Gift
Secret Power

Surf
Swift
Waterfall
Whirlpool

*Important note is that although Transfers is not completely reflective of the latest movepool, some moves were removed from it because they were redundantly added to transfers from other areas.

Anywho, questions!

1. There are a very wide variety of blue moves here fitting and unfitting in flavor. Do we need to move any specifically into level up or egg, or are we content with moving them into transfers?

2. Are there any additions that fit Krilowatt well that we would like to add? Please make sure to give adequate flavor justification in suggestions.

As always, please consider how any additions would factor into Krilowatt's current power level competitively, and while I am softer on possible buffs than other ULs, I will not accept anything that drastically shifts stuff into Krilowatt's favor or breaks the mon.

This thread will close in 5 days, on March 13. Go nuts!

Last edited:
I guess Mind Reader can replace Bubble in the Level 1 slot, and for move additions Hydro Pump, Electro Ball, and Liquidation greatly fit Krilowatt given almost every Water-type get those two STAB moves now, and some older Pokémon got Liquidation this gen but never had it last gen, and almost all Electric-types get Electro Ball now.

Last edited:
Many Pokémon that used to rely on Bubble for early-game Water STAB (Krabby, Lotad, Corphish, Frillish...) now learn Water Gun at the same level. I wouldn't argue against just adding Mind Reader as a level 1 move in addition, but I don't think it's an appropriate replacement for Bubble for flavor reasons - in particular, I'm having a weirdly hard time finding any information on Protowatt, but I would guess based on the order of the moves here that it doesn't have Ice Shard before it evolves, and that would mean a level 1 Protowatt is not only without a Water-type move but without any damaging moves at all.

I would like to echo Hematite's point that Water Gun should be put in Bubble's slot since Krilowatt is otherwise missing an early Water STAB, and because it fits with gen 8's trend they mentioned. Electro Ball and Liqudation are okay additions but Hydro Pump was disallowed.

Echoing that Water Gun should replace Bubble

Because Heart Swap was removed, (OP doesn't mention it for some reason) Mind Reader could be moved there.

As for other moves, Double Team could be fitting for flavor in Egg Moves. (Assuming Water1/Fairy groups, the Snorunt family passes it) The rest don't seem worth keeping.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
This thread needs to be wrapped up, so I will be throwing it in 48 hour mode. I would like a bit more discussion on topics discussed as well, so get those thoughts out or forever hold your peace.

Mind Reader could replace Heart Swap. And I agree with the above statements that Water Gun can replace Bubble. Also I still stand by my early post about those move additions.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
We are running on a different timeline for these final updates. As you can tell here we are going to be finishing all CAP updates TOMORROW (Friday) from 8am to midnight CST. Below is a list of every suggestion that has been made in this thread to the movepool in the OP. If you have more to suggest, please do them via post or (preferably) Discord.

>> Please join our Discord channel by clicking here. We'll be discussing these updates LIVE all day! <<

Below are the suggestions that have been made thus far in this thread. The parentheses represent the recommended move to remove in order to make move. Brackets represent breeding partners, while a strikethrough represents something that was discussed, but is vetoed by later discussion for being too competitively relevant. A '' symbolizes that it a bullet point that's it's a conditional change base on its header change becoming approved.

Suggested Movepool Movement:
Mind Reader to Level Up (Heart Swap)
Double Team To Egg [Frosslass]

Suggested New Moves:
Water Gun to Level Up (Bubble)
Hydro Pump
Electro Ball
Liquidation

Last edited by a moderator:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
After our discussion on the CAP Discord, Krilowatt's update is finally complete!
1 Aqua Tail
1 Magnetic Flux
1 Ice Shard
1 Water Gun
1 Charge
1 Thunder Shock
1 Confuse Ray
17 Imprison
24 Mirror Coat
28 Bubble Beam
33 Counter
39 Copycat
46 Mind Reader
51 Discharge
53 Wild Charge
57 Guillotine
63 Thunder
68 Muddy Water
Counter (Pyukumuku)
Entrainment (Araquanid)
Follow Me (Togekiss)
Mirror Coat (Cursola)
Sheer Cold (Glalie)
TM04 Ice Punch
TM05 Thunder Punch
TM08 Hyper Beam
TM09 Giga Impact
TM14 Thunder Wave
TM21 Rest
TM24 Snore
TM25 Protect
TM27 Icy Wind
TM31 Attract
TM33 Rain Dance
TM35 Hail
TM36 Whirlpool
TM39 Facade
TM40 Swift
TM41 Helping Hand
TM44 Imprison
TM45 Dive
TM57 Payback
TM59 Fling
TM62 Speed Swap
TM75 Low Sweep
TM76 Round
TM80 Volt Switch
TM81 Bulldoze
TM82 Electroweb
TM90 Electric Terrain
TM93 Eerie Impulse

TR04 Surf
TR05 Ice Beam
TR06 Blizzard
TR07 Low Kick
TR08 Thunderbolt
TR09 Thunder
TR10 Earthquake
TR14 Metronome
TR16 Waterfall
TR20 Substitute
TR26 Endure
TR27 Sleep Talk
TR31 Iron Tail
TR45 Muddy Water
TR67 Earth Power
TR80 Electro Ball
TR84 Scald
TR86 Wild Charge
TR98 Liquidation
Toxic (Gen 7 TM)
Double Team (Gen 7 TM)
Swagger (Gen 7 TM)
Confide (Gen 7 TM)
Recycle (Gen 7 Tutor)
Shock Wave (Gen 7 Tutor)
Water Pulse (Gen 7 Tutor)
Cut (Gen 6 TM)
Fury Cutter (Gen 4 Tutor)

Changes to Krilowatt were relatively few. A few moves that fit well were added in Electro Ball, Electric Terrain, Eerie Impulse, and Liquidation, and holes in Level Up were changed as well, with Bubble replaced with Water Gun and Heart Swap now being filled by Mind Reader. A notable omission from additions was Hydro Pump, as its boost in power was a direct upgrade from Surf which did influence important matchups, and it was also omitted during the course of Gen 7 Updates. Considering previous ruling and our policy on competitive additions, we decided to keep Hydro Pump out.

Last edited:

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Code:
1 - Aqua Tail
1 - Magnetic Flux
1 - Ice Shard
1 - Water Gun
1 - Charge
1 - Thunder Shock
1 - Confuse Ray
17 - Imprison
24 - Mirror Coat
28 - Bubble Beam
33 - Counter
39 - Copycat
46 - Mind Reader
51 - Discharge
53 - Wild Charge
57 - Guillotine
63 - Thunder
68 - Muddy Water
Egg - Counter
Egg - Entrainment
Egg - Follow Me
Egg - Mirror Coat
Egg - Sheer Cold
TM/TR - Ice Punch
TM/TR - Thunder Punch
TM/TR - Hyper Beam
TM/TR - Giga Impact
TM/TR - Thunder Wave
TM/TR - Rest
TM/TR - Snore
TM/TR - Protect
TM/TR - Icy Wind
TM/TR - Attract
TM/TR - Rain Dance
TM/TR - Hail
TM/TR - Whirlpool
TM/TR - Facade
TM/TR - Swift
TM/TR - Helping Hand
TM/TR - Imprison
TM/TR - Dive
TM/TR - Payback
TM/TR - Fling
TM/TR - Speed Swap
TM/TR - Low Sweep
TM/TR - Round
TM/TR - Volt Switch
TM/TR - Bulldoze
TM/TR - Electroweb
TM/TR - Electric Terrain
TM/TR - Eerie Impulse
TM/TR - Surf
TM/TR - Ice Beam
TM/TR - Blizzard
TM/TR - Low Kick
TM/TR - Thunderbolt
TM/TR - Thunder
TM/TR - Earthquake
TM/TR - Metronome
TM/TR - Waterfall
TM/TR - Substitute
TM/TR - Endure
TM/TR - Sleep Talk
TM/TR - Iron Tail
TM/TR - Muddy Water
TM/TR - Earth Power
TM/TR - Electro Ball
TM/TR - Scald
TM/TR - Wild Charge
TM/TR - Liquidation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)