Pet Mod [Gen 1] Rose Red/Iris Blue

Patch Notes HYPE

Thank you all for participating in this slate, here is what will be placed into RRIB with the next code update on Dragon Heaven!

Pidgeot: Gains Body Slam
Pinsir: Gains Twineedle
Farfetch'd: Gains Hyper Beam
Venomoth: Base speed up 90 -> 95
Ampharos, Forretress, Seviper, Zangoose: Legalized into the format! Check this post here for details on all the new Pokemon!

Pokemon: Zangoose
Typing:

Stats (HP/Atk/Def/Spc/Spe): 73/100/60/60/80
New Moves: Submission
Removed Moves: None

Explanation: Zangoose enters RRIB to wreak havoc upon bulky competition. With Tauros-level offenses and a spammable Normal STAB that nearly hits as hard as Tauros' Hyper Beam, Zangoose clearly defines its role as a powerful wallbreaker. Powerful dual STAB makes Zangoose difficult to switch into properly, and it also offers some utility with Thunder Wave. However, Zangoose is frail and weak to common Flying and Psychic offensive typings. If played to its strengths however, Zangoose can eviscerate most defensive backbones and clear the way for a host of cleaners to win!

Sample Set:
Zangoose
- Slash
- Submission
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Pokemon: Seviper
Typing:

Stats (HP/Atk/Def/Spc/Spe): 73/100/60/100/65
New Moves: Amnesia, Fire Blast, Mega Drain, Poison Sting, Thunderbolt

Explanation: In future generations, Seviper is an unpredictable attacker that can use physical or special moves. This feel is maintained and upgraded in Rose Red / Iris Blue! Seviper uses its new Normal typing to abuse snake-like moves such as Wrap, Glare, and Constrict in tandem with Swords Dance, locking down its opponents to either eliminate directly or support an incoming teammate. Newfound access to Amnesia and more special coverage allows for Seviper to take a special sweeper route, or even a mixed sweeper if you feel like it. Trap your opponents or catch them off guard with this sneaky incarnation of Seviper!

Sample Set:
Seviper
- Swords Dance
- Wrap / Constrict
- Poison Sting
- Earthquake

Rose Red / Iris Blue Tournaments!

With all that out of the way, I would like to announce the start of our weekly informal Rose Red / Iris Blue Showdown tournaments! This will just be a quick Showdown-based room tournament that will happen on Dragon Heaven. Be sure to join the RRIB Discord and use the RRIB Client if you're interested in participating in a fully visualized metagame! The tournament will take place on Saturday, June 27th at 7 pm EST. The winner will be placed in a Hall of Fame with their winning 6 Pokemon, just like the RBY cartridges! Hopefully with a tournament and some more matches, we can begin working on a Viability Rankings.

Our next slate will begin after this week of playtesting. As always, I hope to see you soon! Let's work hard and enjoy Kanto to its fullest :]​

Tournament News

Thank you all for participating in, or spectating our first tournament! The winner to be entered into the hall of fame is...

Spook

You can check out the winning team by clicking the sprites above. Also be sure to check the full list of hall-of-famers that will be added over time. There will be no tournament this week but there will be two tournaments the week after, so stay tuned for those!

New Slate

Now let's get started on our second slate shall we? I've noticed a lack of variety in the grass-type department, so let's add a few potential twists to the type's role! For our second slate, the Pokemon to be designed are...

Gogoat notably lacks the powders that popular grass types have in Gen 1, but it has wider coverage and very high base HP. Breloom has Spore, Swords Dance, and better speed than Parasect, but has very thin bulk. Sceptile trades bulk and powders for very high speed (and in turn, crit rate) alongside Swords Dance. How will you design these Pokemon while keeping them balanced and not outclassed? Submissions are due on July 5th 11:59 pm EST.

Oh and one more thing. Sometimes, a small change is the best change. Staying as close to the original while keeping it balanced is highly preferred over complete overhauls. Keep that in mind!​
Dig
Double-Edge
Double Team
Earthquake
Growth
Hyper Beam
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf
Rest
Roar
Rock Slide
Solar Beam
Strength
Substitute
Surf
Tackle
Tail Whip
Take Down
Toxic
Vine Whip
Absorb
Body Slam
Counter
Cut
Double-Edge
Double Team
Flash
Headbutt
Hyper Beam
Leech Seed
Mega Drain
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Mimic
Rest
Rock Slide
Seismic Toss
Solar Beam
Spore
Strength
Stun Spore
Substitute
Swords Dance
Tackle
Thunder Punch
Toxic
Absorb
Agility
Body Slam
Counter
Cut
Dig
Double-Edge
Double Team
Earthquake
Flash
Headbutt
Hyper Beam
Leer
Low Kick
Mega Drain
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Mimic
Pound
Quick Attack
Rest
Roar
Rock Slide
Screech
Seismic Toss
Slam
Solar Beam
Strength
Substitute
Swift
Swords Dance
Thunder Punch
Toxic

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Gogoat
Type:
/

Stats: 123 / 100 / 67 / 87 / 73 (450 BST)
New Moves: n/a
Removed Moves: n/a
Sample Set:
Gogoat
- Earthquake
- Razor Leaf
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide / Hyper Beam
Overview: Nothing too hard to understand, just a nice straight-forward physical Ground tank. That spicy Razor Leaf gives it a way to face off Water types unlike Rhydon and Golem and the STAB Earthquake makes Fire types hesitant to switch in. The big drawback to all this is that terrible 4x weakness to Blizzard, so watch out for that!

Sceptile
Type:

Stats: 70 / 90 / 70 / 90 / 120 (440 BST)
New Moves: n/a
Removed Moves: n/a
Sample Set:
Sceptile
- Mega Drain / Swords Dance
- Razor Leaf
- Thunder Punch / Earthquake
- Earthquake / Rock Slide
Overview: Meet Grass Persian. Its Speed, STAB and coverage give it a niche that does not need a Dragon typing to boost it further.

Breloom
Type:
/

Stats: 65 / 130 / 80 / 75 / 70 (420 BST)
New Moves: Submission
Removed Moves: Spore
Sample Set:
Breloom
- Stun Spore
- Submission
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
Overview: A Fighting type that can spread status and that has that much Attack is already a fine enough niche. Spore would just make it kinda dumb and also probably mostly outclass Parasect which is already quite good.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1593446805425.png

Pokemon: Sceptile
Typing: Grass
Stats: 70 HP / 85 Atk / 65 Def / 105 Spc / 120 Spe
New Moves: Razor Leaf

Sceptile was honestly made to succeed in Gen 1. Stellar stat spread for the meta, and a movepool practically tailor made to abuse RBY mechanics. Losing its signature Leaf Blade sucks, but gen 1 RR/IB provided us with the cure in Razor Leaf!

Pokemon: Breloom
Typing: Grass / Fighting
Stats: 60 HP / 130 Atk / 80 Def / 60 Spc / 70 Spe
New Moves: Karate Chop, Submission

Breloom separates itself from its fellow Spore user with a Fighting sub-typing, much better speed tier and much worse bulk. I can understand worries of Breloom outclassing Parasect, and while I cannot deny that it the long run people may pick it over sect, I made sure that Breloom is as distinct as possible with a completely different stat spread, Breloom simply checks a very different set of Pokemon that Sect does (notably the nasty Psychic types)

New Pokemon and Tournaments!

Apologies for the quiet week, I was busy with celebrations at home. But with those out of the way, I'm happy to announce that we will have a tournament on July 10th at 7pm EST. I know I said that there would be 2 tournaments this week, but DragonHeaven is currently undergoing some huge code shifts and I don't know how long it will take for the server to be ready again. When the time comes around, please feel free to try the format out during these tournaments as they are just for fun and experimentation. If you need help preparing, don't hesitate to join the RRIB discord! With that all out of the way, here are the newcomers to RRIB when DragonHeaven is updated with the new code...

Pokemon: Gogoat
Typing:

Stats (HP/Atk/Def/Spc/Spe): 123/100/62/97/68
New Moves: Body Slam

Explanation: Gogoat is a no-nonsense offensive tank that simply uses its newfound grass/ground dual stab alongside perfect coverage to bonk everything. Just pick the right moves and hit whatever you think will switch in. Don't be afraid to use that amazing bulk to make some favourable trades when possible! And if you plan to bring Gogoat, be sure to pack some very good ice resists.

Sample Set:
Gogoat
- Razor Leaf
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam

Pokemon: Breloom
Typing:

Stats (HP/Atk/Def/Spc/Spe): 60/130/80/60/70
New Moves: Karate Chop, Submission

Explanation: Breloom cranks the power behind a dual powder spreader up to scary levels, at the cost of a ton of bulk. Its typing also makes it very prone to commonplace flying, psychic, fire, and ice type attacks. Conversely, it is a unique resister of the edgequake combination and has access to the powerful Spore. It may be difficult to get Breloom on the field safely, but expect huge payoff whenever you do!

Sample Set:
Breloom
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Submission
- Hyper Beam / Rock Slide

Pokemon: Sceptile
Typing:

Stats (HP/Atk/Def/Spc/Spe): 60/85/65/105/120
New Moves: Razor Leaf

Explanation: Sceptile has Alakazam-level speed (and in turn, its high crit rate) and uses Swords Dance alongside good mixed offensive stats to be a strong endgame cleaner. Razor Leafs coming from 105 special are sure to slice through competition, and conventional grass resists will not appreciate taking +2 Edgequake or Hyper Beam. Sceptile may struggle to do much in the early game, but preserve it like a Tauros and it will shine more and more as the game goes on!

Sample Set:
Sceptile
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Hyper Beam
- Razor Leaf
Metagame Feedback

So while we wait for DragonHeaven to update... the Rose Red/Iris Blue format has been out for a while now, and I would love for some feedback about the metagame. Are there any threats that stand out to you? Do any Pokemon feel too strong or too weak? Is there a Pokemon you just really enjoy using in this pet mod? Maybe you have a future-generation Pokemon you'd really, really like to be in an upcoming slate? Please don't hesitate to post about your thoughts with explanations here, I would love to consider them for the next balance update!

Well, I guess I'll start of this discussion. I can't comment much on the current meta because I haven't played this in a long time (long break from Pokemon), but from what I've seen in the Metagame Doc and in replays I'm very pleased with how the type balanced has improved. I was working in the background a Gen 1 Pet Mod that brought future gen mons into the first gen until I checked here and saw you were now doing the same thing, (RIP my best laid plans lol), so I have already put quite a bit of thought into what mons I'd like to see ported into Gen 1.

1.) Special Bugs

While Butterfree is doing a good job as a Psychic Counter, I would like to see more bugs that can check psychic types by virtue of Raw Stats, and can have a wider range of things they check due to typing.

I suggest Araquanid and/or Volcarona due to having a High Special stats in their original incarnations, relatively good typings, and being iconic 'mons of their own generations, as well feeling like they would play different than other bugs already in the meta. Galvantula also fits this criteria, but I feel it would probably just be "Jolteon but with STAB Pin Missile."

2.) Cool Rocks

Judging by the 2 normal sweepers that were on Spook's team when he won the last tournament, Normal is still a good type. Perhaps some new rock types would be a good addition to the tier.

Solrock, If ported, it would become the only mon in the game with resistance to both Normal AND Psychic, and it has what looks like a very fine move set for RBY (STABs, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Reflect). Give it an appropriate stat distribution and you have a recipe for a notable threat.

Cradily has a very unique typing that gives makes it weak to only 3 types, which I think is a record low for both Rock and Grass. In addition, it has access to Amnesia, so it can completely forget about how useless it has been in every gen since its debut, and sweep teams with its boosted Mega Drains.

Probopass would obviously have to drop its Steel type in order to pass through the Time Machine, but if it can keep something resembling it's insane base 150 Special (defense) along with its high Defense, it can be a very unique Rock that lacks any x2 weaknesses, and that has the constitution to tank moves that would cause lesser rocks to crumble. In addition, it has a great Gen 1 movepool, with Thunderbolt, T-Wave, Explosion, and Fire and Ice Punch, (Apparently its mustache is so powerful that it can punch with it, ask Game Freak not me). It's considerably low attack does mean it can't use its good physical moves very effectively, its low speed means it can get worn down easily by faster attackers, and the fact that its best moves are not STAB does put a damper on its damage output. But I think there is a place for it in this meta.

3.) Pumpking, The King of Ghosts (and Grass)

Another way to keep normal sweepers in check would be Ghosts. The best Ghost to add into the mix here imo would be one of the above Grass/Ghosts, because they are immune to normal, but also cover the types that Rocks are weak to (Water, Grass, Ground resist, Fighting Immunity). This obviously would make a great defensive core with many Rock types.
In terms of what specific species you port comes down to what else you want this mon to do, and which one you prefer. Gourgiest has Fire coverage, Dhelmise has Growth and Surf and EQ, Trevenant has Swords Dance or Growth, and Decidueye has Swords Dance and Flying Coverage.

4.) Literal Speed Demons

Dear KuriTenshi26,
I'm just gonna come out and say it. Electrode is too, damn, slow. One of the main gimmicks of RBY is Speed based Crit%, and yet our fastest mon crits <30% of the time? This is a shameful display. We deserve better, and demand that this situation is fixed immediately. If you fail to act, I'm afraid my hand will be forced, and I shall write a second, even more strongly worded letter! I pray for your sake you are spared this fate!

Love, PMD

PS: I actually don't know if this is a good idea, I just really want to see Ninjask Crit the shit out of everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)